No. 10 Prepping for Trip Back to Tenn.

Posted by Eric Allen on December 20, 2007 – 2:05 pm

Kenny Chesney’s “I Go Back” blared from the loudspeakers at the beginning of this afternoon’s practice. Chad Pennington, a Knoxville, Tenn., native, will head back to his home state this weekend and could even start against the Titans at Nashville’s LP Field.

“It’s always exciting to go and play in front of some familiar faces and play in your home state,” Pennington said at a news conference this morning. “I think that’s always a fun thing for a player to do.”

Pennington began his AP Comeback Player of the Year campaign two Septembers ago in Nashville, throwing for 319 yards and two touchdowns in a season-opening win over the Titans.

“It’s an extremely loud stadium, and that was on opening day,” he said. “I can only imagine how loud it’s going to be now considering they have a chance to make the playoffs.”

The message from Jets head coach Eric Mangini today was status quo regarding his QB starter for the Green & White’s road finale. Kellen Clemens, who has a rib injury, was out at practice throwing for a second day in a row.

“We’ll go through the week and see how it goes,” Mangini said.

Pennington could be in a line for his first start in close to two months. The 31-year-old has been a team player throughout a tough season, never causing any fuss about the depth chart change.

“Chad has been outstanding and he’s been extremely helpful to Kellen during this time,” Mangini said.

“I think Coach respects me as a player, he respects the things I bring to the table,” said Pennington. “We’ve had conversations about that and he’s been very adamant on how he respects how I play the game, make good decisions and understand the whole perspective of the game, not just the stats and things like that.”

Even though he has made a transition to backup, Pennington still views himself in a different light.

“I certainly feel I’m a starter, absolutely. No question in my mind,” he said. “I can always help someone win.”

On several occasions, Pennington was asked tough questions and most of them concerned his future.

“I understand the business of this game. Right now the most important thing is what we do in-between the white lines and what we do every practice to get better for this team,” he said. “When that time comes to think about all those different options, then I’ll do what I always do and be very diligent and take everything into account.”

If Pennington allows his mind to wander, the results could be disastrous.

“When you have your mind on other things and when you’re distracted, you can get hurt,” he said. “All it takes is a blink of an eye and you’re lying on your backside and it may be your fault.”

Pennington, a football coach’s son, respects the game too much to do that. He is human and has surely experienced a wide range of emotions this season, but he’s always handled everything with class.

“I have extremely enjoyed my time in New York and Jets fans have been extremely supportive,” he said. “They’re loyal, they’re passionate and they’re going to let you know how they feel and that’s part of being a fan.”

Don’t mistake that as a farewell. Important decisions will be made when the season is over but there is still football to be played. Pennington is going back to Tennessee and Clemens’ injury might put him back in the starting lineup.

“I do know that I enjoy playing, that I don’t enjoy watching,” he said. “I think that it’s just the competitive side of being a National Football League player. I enjoy being in the huddle and I enjoy taking on the challenge week in and week out.”

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 57 Comments »

57 Responses to “No. 10 Prepping for Trip Back to Tenn.”

1. By Joe on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Getting rid of him is the worst thing we can do. Clemens isn’t the answer. Pennington can take us to the promised land with the right team around him.

2. By Row on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

It’s possible to build arm strength. Chad knows the O, so it’s easy to say he runs it better. The problem is the O, so if he is willing to learn a new scheme next year with a new OC that sits in the booth, he CAN be our starter next year. Chad doesn’t want to be our QB next year. As for Clemens, the O doesn’t utilize his strengths. You need a RB in the backfield to use play action. Good luck Chad.

3. By Lenny on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

I agree w/ Joe. Chad is a good QB, the team rallies around him. The man gave us a lead or a fighting chance in every game he started. But the O line would callapse and kill the run or the D would just give up points .

4. By Jet Fan in Saskatchewan on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

It would be devastating if the Jets were to let Chad get away on them in the off season – he has what it takes to win but he needs a cast of supporting players. His saying of “have character – don’t be a character” has certainly shone through this year given the shoddy treatment he has been given by the fans, the coaches and management. Cut him loose & the Jets will be in no man’s land for years.

5. By Ira on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

I hope Chad goes out with guns blazing. Let him light up the Titans and then show Herm the best so we can get a could pick from Herm after the season for Chad. GO JETS!!!!!!!

6. By Greg on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

They should definetly hang on to Pennington because the way it loks know Clemens is not the right guy and with every thing Chad has done for this team. They keep Chad and start him

7. By Russell on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Can we please stop daydreaming about RB McFadden of Arkansas. The young man hasn’t even declared for the draft. I still believe defense wins championships and would address the defensive issues first in free agency and then the draft. Next issue, the offensive line, let’s see Turner and Oldenburg play against Tennessee and Kansas City. If I’m GM, I trade down in the first round for more picks.

8. By Anonymous on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

I agree with Joe. WIth the right team Pennington is a superbowl quarterback. With the wrong team and coaching decisions he can be very ineffective. Then again, in this situation who would be effective? The issued that everyone had with Chad was his arm strength. Everyone praised Clemens for his arm strength but it did not make much of a difference.

9. By SCJoe on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

I felt from the outset that Chad got a raw deal, he is a victim of the personal around him and of the playcalling, the fact that it didn’t get ANY better with Clemens only proves my point.

10. By Tom Silvestri on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Pennington has the NFL head and heart but not nearly the body nor arm in an era when both are more important than ever . When you think of the people the Jets could’ve drafted and built a team around — Rivers, Palmer, Leinart, Young — it’s staggering. They’d better draft a quarterback before they lose their gifted wide receivers. (P.S. I’ve been a Jet fan since before they drafted Namath.)

11. By Joe Maturo on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

We need to keep Pennington, he is the best QB we have had in decades. Anybody that says different needs to look at his completion percentage and also needs to realize that he does give us the best chance we have to win games, the defense just hasn’t been lasting. If the Jets owners and coaches will listen please be smart keep Pennington build a line arround him and we have a shot at the Super Bowl

12. By Jamie on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

We don’t want to lose Chad. He’s too smart and too good. We need to fix the O-Line and Chad will be just fine. Clemmens could use another year or two on the bench behind C-H-A-D! (AND WE DON’t WANT PARCELLS TO PICK HIM UP IN MIAMI!!!! That could be devastating!!!)

13. By Jim on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Clemens may or may not be the answer, but I agree that Pennington can do the job with the right players around him. The problem all year has been the O-Line not the QB. If there is any way to keep Penny in the fold we should do so. In the NFL it is wise, as the Jets should have learned from the past (including last Sunday), due to the injury risk for a team to have more than one quality QB.

14. By Jamie on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Jets fans!!! We need to start a movement. Keep Chad. Keep Chad. Keep Chad. We don’t want to lose this guy. Everyone send in your comments!!!

15. By AUB on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

I agree, I do not think that KC is quite ready, and here you have a classy individual who can help him while also helping the team win if he is provided with the right team, why trade him for an unknown who may not even win.

16. By Rob on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

This year???? I don’t believe we have had decent O-Line for atleast last 3 years. How long do we have to wait till the master piece is finished rebuilding.

17. By Ira on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Glad to see all the support for Chad. He deserves it.

18. By Chris on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Chad is deserves HIS job back, all he needed was some time off to rest and now i believe he will be fine.

19. By jaime on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

I would love to see Jets beat Herm. but that woud hurt our draft postion by aleast 5 spots. we need to start rebuilding.

20. By Schuyler on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

I’ve been a Chad supporter since day one and to make matters worse, when you read LC’s interview, there is no way he’s playing here without Chad. I didn’t understand the move, KC is decent, but one losing season for Penny and he’s pulled? Chad is one of the smartest in the game and can make the throws, look at the ball placement last week. Start Chad and have him train KC. Retire him as a Jet.

21. By Frank on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Gee was it the O-line that was throwing all those 4th quarter int’s in the beginning of the year. The last I checked Chad had the worst 4th quarter rating of all starting QB’s in the league. How many pro bowls has he gone to I forgot. How many 4th quarter comebacks has he produced in recent memory? Ah..zero I beleive. Give Kellen an O-line and offense designed around him not Chad and he will shine

22. By Frank on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Oh by the way thanks Woody for landing Parcells to fix this mess. I made alot of very accurate predictions for this season and here is my latest. The Dolphins will have a stronger organization and be back to the playoffs before the Jets. So while Mangini leads us back to the Kotite years Parcells will lead the Dolphins to the promise land. Woody wake up and hire Marty right now and fix this mess!

23. By Steve on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

At this time I think the ball and leverage is in CP hands. They will not pay him what his contract calls for to be the back-upQB. He is certainly tired of the way MGT. has treated him,so I don’t think he wants to stay in NY. Mgt. will try to get a pay cut & he says NO NOT THIS TIME! We more than likely get nothing for him & he will get more than they were willing to pay as a FA. I LUV IT!!

24. By steve on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

As a follow on comment! CP is still the sharpest individual on our team. Don’t forget he was a Rhodes Scholar. Mangini and Mr T. are about to get chewed up and spit out by there own QB. They wanted KC they got him and if B Griese winds up the backup as Ira mentioned look for another high draft pick in 09. We may get MCfadden if he stays in school. Look for Chad to be a Falcon,Viking,bear , Fin

25. By Chris q on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

BRING BACK CHAD … HE WILL TAKE US PLACES IF WE GIVE HIM THE CHANCE

26. By Drew on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Amazing all my fellow Jets fans have jumped off the KC bandwagon after 6 games. If KC is healthy he SHOULD start. I love Chad and respect everything he has done since 2002, but we know what we have with #10. He is a move the chains guy, manage the game and try to win with a good D and running game. What does starting Caad at 3-11 prove? Does anyone recall why Chad was on the bench? Start KC now!!

27. By Pete on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Chad cannot be effective without a running game, period. His strength is his intellect and he is clearly most effective when he can run the play action pass. He cannot complete third and long as he is not strong enough to throw the deep out and is now completely immobile. He needs a good line that can run. It is such a shame to use two 1′s on OL and then watch it fall apart. Negated last draft.

28. By Vinnie on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

Chad is one of the smartest if not the smartest QB’s in the league.Mangini is trying to put his mark on the team with Clemens,but is now realizing he needs more time.Build around Chad for a couple of more years.KEEP CHAD!!!

29. By Caitlin on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

We want CHAD back . everyone knows he deserves it! kellen just isn’t doing it. chad played soo good against the patriots but all anyone sees is the loss .. maybe if the o-line would step it up. getting rid of chad would be a huge mistake. if clemens arm is so strong why don’t the jets have more wins? arm strength means nothing – GIVE CHAD HIS JOB BACK.

30. By Shadab on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

I played HS football with Chad at Webb. He’s always been able to make some throws that you just don’t imagine a guy could make, especially when folks doubting his ability. At the Browns games, folks were chanting Chad towards the end when the Genius took a FG and a slim chance at an onside instead of a shot on 4th and game. Chad used to play safety as well as QB and came in as a sophmore @ Webb

31. By Andrew H. on Dec 20, 2007 | Reply

It’s so refreshing to see this much support for Pennington, I’m really glad to see that there are other people who believe that he’s getting the raw end of the deal. I wish we could make a petition against getting rid of him, Chad deserves HIS job back.

32. By Tom Silvestri on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

LC won’t go anywhere if the Jets draft someone who can throw consistently over thirty yards, like those kids at Boston College and Hawaii. And the Jets aren’t going anywhere in this dollar- and denial-driven dream that Pennington’s still the guy. These days you need more than heart and smarts at quarterback, you need an awesome physical specimen. The Plunkett/Theismann/Kosar days are long gone.

33. By PAJetsFans on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

C-H-A-D, CHAD CHAD CHAD

34. By Drew on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Again…Chad can play lights out fir the next 2 weeks and we will get no better than a 4th or 5th rounder for him…….I dont care if KC is 75%, you let him play to get him game time action. Does he manage the game or read the defense better than Chad…NO…. but he has played in 6 games!!!!!

35. By Drew on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Calm down Frank…….Parcells going to the Phins means very little. He is not going as coach he is going as VP?? He is a decent talent evaluated but having him look over the GM and coach spells trouble for the Miami. I know your crazy asking to hire Marty. Typical “great” Jet fans calling for Mangini’s head after a tough season.

36. By Row on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Truth is, Chad has only beat one team, the Dolphins. He has never intimidated ANY Defense, nor did he make sound throws, especially in the 4th quarter. Personally, he needs to go and so does our OC. Can he win? ” NO”, or he would have never been benched. You’ll see the real CP this weekend when we lose. Someone will be held accountable, hopefully it’s B. Schott. I don’t care who’s our new backup.

37. By Ira on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Drew, If Clemens was healthy enough to start this week he would. No way do the Jets want this type of QB debate to go on until Chad is traded. They were hoping for Clemens to make everybody forget about Chad but it didn’t play out that way. Then Chad plays well vs the Pats which only opened a can of worms. Chad will play well this week and then Clemens will start next week. BTW KC’s left shoulder?

38. By Chad Fan on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

WOW! It’s great to hear from all of Chad’s supporters. We must tell mgt to keep him & tell Chad to stay. Let’s cheer it at the last game: “Bring back CHAD!!” Without him & LC the Jets will regress & will lose many fans.

39. By Thomas Spicer on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Chad will never bring us to the bowl he is just not good enough period ! You can not judge Kellen off of 6 games he needs time. Did any of you guys watch the games this year the corners sit on his Chad’s routes intercept the ball & return them for t.d.’s that kill us. Also he is always hurt Chad has played 1 full season in his career.

40. By hal on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Chad’s great but it will take a long time to build this team arounf him. He can only throw short. Come on, every pass he trows more than 10 yards don’t you cringe waiting for it to come down and get intercepted? Very easy to defend against. They have a horrible offensive line that cannot keep their blocks. So without a running game Chad will be horrible, JUST LIKE WE’VE SEEN.

41. By russ on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

With Parcells back in town look forward to playing against teams with great offensive and defensiv lines Sound familiar???? Scream this in Tannenbaum ear please at least once a day! ! !

42. By Frank on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Drew are you kidding? Parcells is a decent talent evaluater? What do you think is going on in Dallas? He drafted and made that team just like he did with the Patriots and the Jets. When was the last time we went to the AFC title game? He is better at evaluating talent, drafting and trading than as a HC. I am not suggesting getting rid of Tangini right now but they are clueless on running a team.

43. By Bruce Crabtree on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

I’ve been a Jets fan since Super Bowl III and for some reason can’t give up on them. I told Chad when he was here in Knoxville at the Sports Hall of Fame Dinner how glad I was when he was the Jets’ draft choice. I know he will keep giving to the team. Pass on to Chad something General Eisenhower once said, “Leadership is getting others to do what you want because they want to do it”

44. By Frank on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Tangini and Tuna have a great relationship and I think that having Parcells would have helped Mangini. Going the direction Mangini is taking the team. Tuna would have traded D-Rob and Vilma last offseason when thier value was the highest and parlayed that into multiple draft picks i.e. Hugh Douglas. Parcells would have resolved the Kendall situation and have calmed the veterans who are turned off.

45. By Frank on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Another thing about Chad. Look at all the OC’s Chad has had and everyone of them came up with the Dink and Dunk game that is Chad’s. What has been the weakest part of the Jets even during the Herm year’s? Offense and scoring. There was never any explosiveness or that ability to come back and the common denominator CHAD. Design an offense around Kellen’s talents and he will be a much better QB.

46. By Ira on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Give me a break about talent evaluater. Revis, Harris, Mangold, D-Brick, Leon, D.Coleman who is starting to play well now and should be the nickel back next year, is a very good group.

47. By Frank on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Yeah great trades and free agent signings. Brick at this point is a mojor bust at #4 pick I do beleive Tangini’s signing of Adrien Clarke as Kendall’s replacement and Brick both on the left side were resposible for 4.5 sacks last weekend and god knows how many this season. Can you name me one free agent signing that has made a difference. Welker, Thomas, Moss Stallworth.3-11 record, no pro bowlers

48. By Frank on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Do you really think the current administration would ever sign a Corey Dillon or Randy Moss? Huh..they got rid of Kendall because he challenged them on a deal they reneged on so they get rid of him at the expense of team success. Sorry but this is Hess/ Kotite all over again. After dumping Kendall it’s laughable to think MGT would sign Faneca if he came available he is more outspoken than Kendall.

49. By Vikram on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Some fans here are too whimsical-1 day its KC,next its Chad. Truth is Chad is the most cerebral QB in the NFL.But he limits the offense.KC is young, has an arm and can be good.He needs time, and most importantly, he needs to play! CP will flourish on a team with solid D – Vikings for example.I’ve always liked CP,but the Jets need a more explosive offense.Good luck Chad,wherever you play next year!

50. By Schuyler on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Surround the guy with talent and he’ll win games. No running game, terrible line play, means no play action and a qb getting hit like crazy. I saw Chad throw the ball for a 60 yard td this season, but you can’t do that if your line doesn’t protect you long enough. I don’t understand how you throw a good QB under the bus, when your backup hasn’t performed and he only has 6 starts.That’s a gamble.

51. By Larry on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Give me a break Ira. I been saying since day 1 we have talent and heart. We also have an OC that couldnt call a cab, an HC that doesnt have the moxy to go for it on 4th EVER, and management that made several MAJOR blunders this season. You are obviousely an intelligent individual with a great grasp of the game, but not everything is right in JET LAND this year and it doesnt help to wish it aint so

52. By Sally on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

KEEP CHAD!!!!! if u build the team around him we could be a superbowl team. hes a great QB if he had a great line. less arm strength but very accurate.

53. By Frank on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Hey Ira and Drew are you kidding me you want to drop names here is a few for you and you want to compare. How about Curtis Martin drafted then signed as a free agent, Pennington, Ellis, Abraham, Thomas, Farrior just to name a few. Get real! How about Romo and half the Dallas defense huh…Thats just a few. Geez guys take your head out of the sand and stop drinking the cool aid.

54. By Drew on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Frank….James Farrior was a complete underachiever under Bill…We had 4 1st rounders in 2000 and only Abraham has played like one (when he’s actually on the field) Sean Peyton gets 100% credit for Tony Romo not Parcells…..and who is a big time player for Dallas on defense again?? I will keep my head in the sand and roll with Mr.T. I think he has drafted well and fixed our salary cap.

55. By Drew on Dec 21, 2007 | Reply

Frank..I again stand by that Bill is a decent judge of talent. If you think he is a better VP than Coach your crazier than I thought. Having this guy run a franchise is laughable. He will create a mess with the GM and coach… And please get off the Kendall deal already. LColes was more outspoken than anyone and he’s still here?? Check the drafts the last 4 years and I like my chances with Mr T

56. By Frank on Dec 22, 2007 | Reply

Drew I have looked at the drafts the last few years and I see a 3-11 team that is not improving. I see a team that has won exactly 2 games against teams with winning records over the last 2 years. I see high draft pick players from a few years ago being mis-used. I like Harris, Revis, Mangold and Leon but didn’t the defense play better last year? I didn’t hear you mention any free agents or trades

57. By aosjo on Dec 23, 2007 | Reply

woody needs to put pressure on tannebaum and mangini to fix this team. keeping chad as the starter is the first thing mangini needs to do. chad has been a victim of a small number of fans and a terrible coaching staff.