• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Tackling Some Preconceived Notions

Posted by Randy Lange on March 12, 2008 – 2:27 pm

It’s the time of the season for heavy opinions. And the Jets, with their high-profile activity in free agency since Feb. 29, are drawing lots of attention from the opinionated.

Many like what the Green & White have done. Some are not happy. One word that’s been mentioned here and there is "desperation."

We’re all entitled to our opinions, of course, but desperation? I just don’t get that.

The Jets have identified areas that needed to be strengthened this off-season. Unrestricted free agency is one of the several ways to fortify a roster. The pro personnel department highlighted players who would be good additions to the program. The organization has the money and the cap room to get a number of deals done. There will be enough left over to sign the draft picks, even if one of them is No. 6 overall or even higher.

This approach can be described many ways. But how again is it desperate?

Other opinions have involved the climate at the Jets’ complex, and that specifically head coach Eric Mangini has developed a reputation for running "tough" training camps and practices in his two years at the helm and that this could scare away top free agents.

That doesn’t appear to have been the case this free agency season. Guard Alan Faneca was asked about that issue on his conference call with reporters last week and he didn’t sound scared at all

"I had heard, but, if anything, it swayed me to it," Faneca said. "I’m not the kind of guy who is going to make a decision to run from a difficult situation. If anything, it swayed me in this direction, to know that the work ethic was in place to go win games.’

And fullback Tony Richardson recalled a few coaches in the Tough Practices Hall of Fame that he’s worked for over the years when Eric Allen, my newyorkjets.com comrade, asked Richardson about the coming workload.

"Part of my background with my father being in the military and my sister serving — my dad being a Vietnam Vet and my sister being a Desert Storm vet — I’ve never shied away from work," he said. "Anything worth having is worth working for. I remember coming into the National Football League under Coach [Marty] Schottenheimer and we had some grind-it-out practices. Coach [Dick] Vermeil’s whole philosophy was we need to put the work in on the field.

"So for me, even at this point of my career, I’m not going to shy away from work. You put that time in and it will give you advantage out on the field on Sunday."

It’s true that some Jets players in the last two years have been vocal about the degree of difficulty to Mangini’s practices. A lot have also supported the coach. But to anyone with a question about his approach, he would probably answer as he did toward the end of his first training camp as the Jets’ football boss in late August 2006.

"It’s a brutal season, it’s a brutal league, and competition is brutal," Mangini said back then. "The key thing is to prepare for that the best way you can. Everything we’ve done here is simply designed to help us win and compete."

Numerology Department

Jets equipment director Gus Granneman has his hands full these days, with all the players coming and going, regarding the assignment of uniform numbers. At the moment we can pass on three numbers that have been assigned, two to new players and one to a guy who wanted a change.

Richardson, who’s been No. 49 in his 11 seasons with Kansas City and the last two with Minnesota, will also be No. 49 as a Jet. DT Kris Jenkins, who was a lucky 77 in seven seasons with the Panthers, will continue to wear 77.

And DT C.J. Mosley, who was 96 in his one Minnesota season in 2005 and 95 the past two seasons with the Jets, continues to slim down and will wear No. 69 this year.

More numbers to come as they are finalized.

Honors for the Veep

For those who like to keep track of the Jets’ front office, you should know that Matt Higgins, the Jets’ senior vice president of business operations (and my boss), was recently recognized in the prestigious 40 Under 40 list, class of 2008, compiled by Crain’s New York Business. You can check out Matt and his profile here.

Flight Crew Application

As you may be aware from our story last week, the New York Jets Flight Crew is expanding from 10 to 22 members for the 2008 season. And the Flight Crew and director Denise Garvey are now accepting applications from aspiring candidates who want to audition for the Crew.

The deadline for applications to the Flight Crew prep classes is April 4, the deadline for audition applications only must be postmarked by May 9, and the preliminary audition round will be May 17 at the Jets’ Hofstra University practice bubble.

If you’re interested, read the 2008 New York Jets Flight Crew audition article or download and print out the application.

Tags: , , , , , ,

73 Responses to “Tackling Some Preconceived Notions”

1. By JOHNNYJET on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

HEY RANDY- ANY NEWS ON THE BEN UTECHT VISIT AND THE TY LAW VISIT? KEEP THE GOOD NEWS COMING!!1

2. By JOHNNYJET on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

RANDY- THE JETS WILL BE MUCH BETTER THAN LAST YEAR!! I WOULD SAY AT LEAST 10-6 PLAYOFFS TOO!!!

3. By Hogan on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Great report Randy, I wonder do you know why Mos’ wanted his # changed.

4. By Russell on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Randy, I want to ask you the status of some of the Jets lesser known players. What is the status of LB Cody Spencer? Will Luoto become a fixture at the TE position? Who could emerge as a WR from the group of C.Davis, D.Ball, Shaine Smith and Marco Thomas? Will the Jets keep TE’s like Kowalewski and Pociask? And what about the status of OL Jacob Bender? Just to give the other guys some time.

5. By Randy Lange on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Hogan, I don’t know the answer to that but when I see C.J. after the players return for the start of the off-season strength and conditioning program next week, I’ll check in with him.

6. By Randy Lange on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Russell, I can confirm that LB Cody Spencer is on the roster and Finnish TE Iiro Luoto is not. As for the WRs, TEs and Jacob Bender, all are on the team and all will be fighting for roster spots in the coming months.

7. By Drew on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Its a joke how people use the desperation line when the Jets attacked “Major “needs. I did not love the Woody move but he is an upgrade. Everything else was solid to great. Jenkins is a major upgrade over D-Rob, Faneca is a beast and 3 teams were willing to give Pace the same deal we did. Mr T handled this like a genius..Randy were you suprised by the amount of activity from Jets this year?? I was

8. By Howard on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

randy good to see ya back i thought you might have been on vacation.its good to read how these players like to work hard in the off season and as well in practice and the meeting rooms this is what wins games and championships players willing to do the task at hand,and more if needed.

9. By Jeremy on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Everyone seems to be bashing the JETS for their offseason moves, but I don’t understand any of it. Faneca, Jenkins, Richardson are all Pro Bowlers & Pace could have easily been one if he played for a good city like NY! A couple of those guys are going to have to make the change from 4-3 to 3-4 (Pace and Jenkins) and that seems to take some time. All in all a heck of an offseason so far!

10. By Ira on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Randy, Going into the offseason it was easy for people to see the Jets needed to upgrade at RT, LG, PR, FB, and NT. They went after those players and i give them credit for getting them. On paper they have improved the team. It also put them in position to approach the draft with an advantage. They can go in many directions instead of locking onto 1 position. Great job by Mr. T and staff. GO JETS!!

11. By Jeremy on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

The best move this offseason aside from Faneca was clearly Callahan. Callahan turned around the Raiders, yeah the Raiders–the rejects of the NFL. He took a dismal at best team and turned them into a mean frontline and exceptional running team. I just hope he can whip Brick into a deserving 1st rounder. Brick has been a complete and utter BUST giving up 15 &12 sacks a year–not what you’d expect!

12. By uncle joe on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

If we cant trade the 6,we will draft Cromartie.If we trade,Its gonna be a WR.Love to see them trade ,pick up an extra 2 and trade the #1 to Detroit for Roy Williams.Ghoulston & Mcfadden are not needed on our team and I dont think either is that great.Randy anything on Rhodes contract?Coles MUST GO,hes been talking bad about our coach since he got here.Wouldve traded him after the Penguin Dance!

13. By Kyle on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Great report Randy. I cannot agree with you more it seems like all the reporters lately have been bashing the Jets using “desperate” and “reach” to describe the moves this off season. I personally like what they are doing they knew what they wanted and went out and got it done. Oh well guess they are all Pats fans… wink wink.

14. By hank on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Mr.Lange, one question when its all said and done with free agency and the draft etc. In your estimation what would the Jets cap space be?

15. By Sean on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Utecht would be great. Also, any news on Eugene Wilson? Not a top tier saftey, but would definetly provide great depth in the backfield along with Elam and Rhodes

16. By Andy on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

On Russell’s topic do we still have Clemson WR Chansi Stuckey? If so what’s going on with him. He has a lot of potential.

17. By Anthony on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Randy, I for one am the most excited than I have been for years, with the activity of the Jets this offseason. Being a Colorado JETS fan, I was watching the free agent activity, and now I am really excited for the Draft.. With the work on the line, the D, and the backfield, I am hoping this will give time to open up the running game, then the passing game… How can anyone not like what they did?

18. By Drew on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Great Great story on T-Rich. This guy is an animal. Just reading his comments got me fired up for our ground game this year. Just knowing this guy will be in the locker room will have an effect on this offense. You cannot put a price on what he could mean to our team this year. Another great signing by Mr T…..I love the CJ keeps changing his number. I hope he changes it every year.

19. By Jim Mayhew on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Jets need a receiver despeately.

Why not add DJ Hacket???????

20. By Tony P on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

An idea for LC. Give him a 4yr contract with a good signing bonus, he does play hard for us even when injured, with performance incentives. After 2yrs, when production will surely decrease, move him to the slot and talk him into a paycut so he can retire a JET. Any thoughts?

21. By scjoe on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

If the Jets had standed pat, you would have heard the same people with the same negetivity, just from a different angle. I just don’t get it. Last year when the Patriots attempted to “buy” a superbowl I didn’t hear any of this, it must be a “New York” thing.

22. By Randy Lange on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Hank, I have trouble with my own stock portfolio let alone the Jets’ salary cap situation. I really don’t know the answer to your question other than to say that the Jets have less cap space now than on Feb. 28.

23. By Randy Lange on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Yes, Drew, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of moves the Jets have made so far. And to think the UFA signing period isn’t even two weeks old.

24. By Randy Lange on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Yes, Andy, Chansi Stuckey is on the roster as well. We’ll give progress reports on him and many other players as they begin to report to the strength and conditioning program.

25. By Darrell on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Desperation? The FO has identified areas of concern and address them BEFORE the Draft. Going after a 7-time pro-bowl G, when that position so desperately needs an upgrade isn’t desperation, it’s deliberate and pointed execution. OL, addressed. Def front 7, addressed. Let’s go Drafting, boys.

26. By Braeden on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Nice report, Randy. The Jets are of course looking good this offseason, all we really have to do in free agency is get a CB (Ty Law) and a TE (Ben Utech). The rest is up to the draft. Gholston and Hardy or Manningham. Also you do all know that Mike T said about a week ago that the JETS are having a QB competition, which Chad will most likely win. Also, what is the status on Gholston? J-E-T-S JETS!

27. By danny marateo on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

i like what were doing.with these pickups on the O/D line..everyting starts up front. if you’re front 4 are doing their job it makes football look easy.its all a trickle down effect..and the game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage.so i like the route wev’e gone..and im anxiously awaiting the draft..has the feel of a good season.J.E.T.S. jets jets jets

28. By Rich on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Randy, I am very pleased to see what the Jets have done in the offseason. Only concern is that I saw on TV that the jets had a very low salary cap compared to other teams. Just wondering, can we still be flexible in the draft, or are we almost done because of free agency? Obveously we can still draft players, but will it have to be less expensive players?

29. By Rich on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Sorry Randy just read it again and saw i missed that you already answered my question. I was just worried because compared to other teams we are MUCH lower in salary cap.

30. By Rob on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Nice article Randy, like most Jets fan I agree with you that anyone calling the moves desperation is over thinking. Only caveat to the contracts signed is high guaranteed money but it helps a lot with cap space. I think Mike and Eric has strengthened the team without weakening financial. And owners should be happy because winning team can translate to high revenues. In short…GO JETS.

31. By Braeden on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

I like that idea about coles. Ive updated my Mock Draft,
    1.Dolphins-Chris Long
    2.Rams-Jake Long
    3.Falcons-Matt Ryan
    4.Raiders-Darren McFadden
    5.Chiefs-Leodis McKelvin
    6.JETS- Vernon Gholston
    Still stickin with Gholston, Tell me how it is. Go JETS!!!!!!!!!!!

32. By Patrick leibel on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

I believe you are right Randy, they definitely filled some serious holes on that line. but I am a little worried about the amount of money they did throw around this year, it does seem a little desperate of the FO to spend like this when other years they wouldn’t even keep their teams together and/or add 2 or 3 premier FA’s. Let’s just hope this all works out in the end. J-E-T-S, Jets Jets Jets

33. By Ira on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Drew, I wasn’t surprised at all about the moves. There are a few left too. There was no way they could draft and wait for players to get cut to fill their needs. These is phase #1. Then once they get done with FA they go for the Gold in the draft. GO JETS!!!!!

34. By Andrew in Tucson on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Randy, I love what the jets have done in free agency no doubt about it. The Tangini duo will have a great draft adding some more good young talent to the team. With all the vets the Jets have it will be the perfect storm! I truly believe with all my heart that this is the beginning of something special!! J!-E!-T!-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

35. By Jeremy on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

ANTHONY-where in Colorado? Moved out to Boulder area year ago and it’s good to know there are more of us out here! Totally agree with giving LC some more dough he plays hard nosed ball even with nothing on the line and an injury. Stuckey should be a nice addition if he’s healthy and gets some PT. Don’t forget about Miller coming back as well. Love to see a shut down CB & tall WR in the draft

36. By Charles F on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

I haven’t heard the words DESPERATION! at all but I wouldn’t be surprised if the so called experts use that term. I mean what’s wrong with addressing problems and fixem them. I get when the Pats signed R.Moss last year out of the FA they must of been in desperation too needing a wr. LOL I love what the Jets are doing this offseason. Keep up the good work Randy love reading these articles. Jets 08

37. By Xavion on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

I know what you mean Randy I read Cimini’s articles you would think hes a NE fan. I agree that the Jets targeted needs and went out and filled them paying what it took to get them. Sounds like the Pats from a year ago. The only move that im not sure about is Jenkins Since D-rob out performed him on a lesser line and from a harder Position. But still Gholston or Long has to be the pick at 6

38. By Xavion on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Also Im not feeling some of these trade options people are throwing out. Drob and #6 for dallas 2 1st rnd? Thats giving D-rob away for nothing. The # 6 pick is worth the 2 1sts alone. The only Player that I would have considered trading the #6 pick for would have been Larry Fitzgerald. Gholston or Long has to be the pick at 6.

39. By Frank on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Hey guys this is pure and simple the reason some pundits are calling all these moves desperate is these moves are completely out of character for this organization sans the Parcells era. No determination can be made on how good these moves will be until we see results. I prefer to build through the draft and hope Tangini will trade Coles, Pennington and Ellis in the near future for more picks.

40. By Frank on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Some of you know I have been very critical of Tangini and the organization because of their system inplementation and lack of player moves. All the organizations that consistantly win keep the same organizational philosophy for decades. They get players and coaches to fit that system. The Jets have been all over the map in this regard and that is why they are perenial losers.

41. By Xavion on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

All the best pass rushers were selected early… John Abraham, Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, Shawne Merriman, Demarcus Ware, simeon rice patrick kerney, Terrell suggs, Justin Smith, Greg Ellis, Dwight Freeney, Derrick thomas, Richard seymour, Will Smith, LT, and so on there are a few exceptions but very few great offensive talent can be found late. Colston Curtis Martin. Tom Brady etc.

42. By Frank on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

A perfect example of this is drafting Vilma and D-Rob with high number 1’s who were very successful in a different system then turning over the coaching staff and ruining these players in a different system. This stupidity has to stop. Randy, you almost make it sound suprising that people have said Magini’s camps are brutal. Those are the words of the players who have been in camp no-one else’s

43. By Xavion on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

I also didnt like Cimini’s opinion of Ty Law visiting the Jets. He Called this move desperate too. I dont get that either He is one of the best cbs to play in the NFL and can still play even if not at same level he isnt Horrible He isnt shut down either but he could be a solid cb as well as teach the many Young cb’s we have. Cimini said he hasnt had a productive season since the pats. 10 int in 05

44. By Xavion on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

If dallas does dumb up and we do trade out of the Number 6 Slot Im thinking we should use one of the 2 1st rnders to trade for Deangelo WIlliams or maybe even Lito Shepard seeing as to how we would have used it on a Cb anyway. Then draft a WR with The other Pick. also I heard they are making Devin Hester the #1 wr in Chi, Maybe we should see if Justin Miller has that type of Talent.

45. By RONK on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

D-ROB IF WE KEEP HIM WITH HIS BIG SALARY CAP NUMBER MIGHT BE A GOD SEND AT D-END.
    WE WENT MEAT ON THE D-LINE WELL WE HAVE IT!

46. By Xavion on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Hey Randy I see you are working late. Hope everything is going ok. Im also writing an article on the Jets offseason. Wondering if I email it if you would take a look. Maybe I could get it posted on the site or a radar entry (hint hint) lol

47. By zartan on Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

if we can get TY Law cheap , ill take him. Not 4 that 1 year huge contract he got last time.he owe us some mullah.When your articles are relivent to the team randy, they are the best. this is my Fav online place right now.We are desperate. im OK with that word. over zealous wouldnt be good.i desparatly want to see a lombardi trophy in N.Y , i mean a Jets Superbowl .

48. By PurpleFlash on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Has anyone else noticed that the Giants showed the rest of the rest of the NFL to get to the super bowl and HOW TO BEAT THE PATRIOTS (i.e. Strong Pass rushing Defensive line and defensive backs, Strong running game with depth at RB and an offensive line that can support the run, and great pass protection). that the Jets FA signings accomplish all this? look for the Jets to draft Hardy or Golston.

49. By Ira on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Who here thinks that if the Jets were to sign Law it would be an upgrade over the players on the roster right now opposite Revis?

50. By Jeremy on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

The only signing I have an issue with is Pace. We needed help on the offensive line and we addressed it with known quantities. I do need someone to explain to me why signing Pace to this big deal is different then signing Bryan Thomas to a big and undeserved contract. An underachieving first round with one decent season after switching to the 3-4 sounds familiar to me. I hope he works out but…

51. By Brian I on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Ira, I believe that for atleast the nedxt year Ty Law would be an upgrade at the number 2 cornerback spot….If Justin Miller ends up beating him out then you have arguably the best nickel back in Law in the league on the roster…..I think in the short term its a good move especially with the relationship Revis and law have, it may spark them to push each other to achieve better things.

52. By Hogan on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

I do think Law would be a upgrade Ira. Also when I read CIMINI’s articles I definetly think he hates the JETS.

53. By Randy Lange on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Xavion, send it to editor@newyorkjets.com. I can’t promise anything but I’ll be glad to look it over.

54. By Drew on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

IRA, It would be an absolute upgrade. You cant discount a CB who snares 10 INT’s in his last season here and the knowledge he could pass to Revis would be invaluable. Say Goodbye to D Rob my friends, the man Warren Sapp called “a bowling ball with butcher knives” is about to sign in Denver. Lets hope we get a good deal. Wouldn’t call him a bust but not the 3-4 prototype, in a 4-3 he will thrive.

55. By Fran's can on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Ira, Ty Law would be an upgrade and would be a welcome sight in green and white. Have been doing some research on CB’s and there are some good sleepers out there. One of them from UC is Willy Gaye. He is a balls hawk with good instincts. He will likely not be there on draft day but hopefully our scouts are putting in overtime on some of the smaller prospects out there. Go Jets !

56. By Ira on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Drew, Say the rumored trade of D-Rob to Denver goes down and the Jets get Foxworth with part of the deal and sign Law that sure sounds like Miller could be trade bait. D-Rob did the best he can playing out of position. I agree he will do very well in a base 4-3 D. Hogan, Cimini doesn’t hate the Jets at all. Thats just his style or writing. Hope Utecht gets down. GO JETS!!!!!!!

57. By Larry on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

I dont see why people seem so offendended about the comments. We DESPARETELY needed to fill certain key positions. We did that. Thats a good thing. If thats desparation, so what? The QB position is whats got me concerned. The future has to start sometime, I dont care what they spent(finally) no one is ever going to convince me CP is the answer. Ask the Giants about giving a young QB time.

58. By Drew on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Frank…When have you been critical of Tangini?? LOL..I really do not understand your continued complaint. Mangini was hired and he runs a 3-4 the Jets had major salary cap problems when he was hired and was handicapped by it. We all know the 10-6 record in 06 delayed the process…I also think you are reaching on the “very successful ” they were good players not great.

59. By DAMONE on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Mannnn, we dont need Ty Law.He is still pretty good but we got J.Miller.I agree Rich Cimini is crazy for saying were desperate…..but i dont think he’s far off.I think Eric Mangini knows he has to do something big or his job will be in trouble after all we did have a 4th place schedule his first year.I think he’s a great coach!!

60. By Drew on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Frank…Maybe Mangini saw how his Patriots whipped us every year with our “very successful” defense. Can you name me the time when we ever had a big stop with our “very successful” players that Mangini ruined? The only complaint is the process should have been started 2 years ago instead of this year…By the way how did Parcells run his camp? Mangini learned from Parcells and Bill

61. By Alan on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Me personally wouldnt really want law. I would love to go after cromartie in the first. If d-rob goes to denver i want a player out of it, or atleast theyre first rounder. But like ive said please check out Desean Jackson hes an amazing player who Jerry Rice has been privately training since befor the combine. Jets offseason has been great, i cant wait to see calvin pace play with Harris. JETS!!!

62. By Ira on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Drew, You’re correct about Eric shaping his own team. He couldn’t do it 2 years ago coming off a 10 win playoff berth season. They tried to go another year and hoped to take the next step. It just didn’t work out.

63. By zartan on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

I would love Gholston at #6 but who ever the jets pick there,ill be happy with.even if they take Mcfadden.i didnt want him before,but i thought it over.i dont know how good this kid would be but i know he will be good.with that said he would come in with some hype.i cant think of a player on this team that if i talk to a friend he would love to have em.i want my team to have some recognition.

64. By steven on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

I think Ghoston would give us one of the best pressuring defenses in the league and as we’ve seen with the patriots in the super bowl and with Chad Pennington, when the quarterback doesn’t have time to throw the ball, its hard to win. On the other hand, Mcfadden as a running back would give us one of the best running games in the league now that we’re going to be able to open holes for them. It

65. By Frank on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Drew sometimes I give you too much credit. Under Henderson Vilma was the best middle linebacker in the league! 183 tackles and a top 10 defense plus a pro bowl and D-Rob was a terror on the line. Is your memory that short???
    That’s right Drew Parcells and little Bill run tough camps minus the childish element Mangini brought here. The person you guys want to keep Coles is the biggest complainer.

66. By Anthony on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Jeremy, Up in the Fort… There is a bar in Boulder that is Jets friendly, and my wife and I are going to head down there this year!!!

LC with some cash, and get a late round receiver, like WayneC was!!!!!! That would be the icing!

67. By Randy Lange on Mar 13, 2008 | Reply

Anthony, Wayne Chrebet was so late in the 1995 draft that he was a free agent.

68. By Anthony on Mar 14, 2008 | Reply

Randy, I hear you… that is the type of receiver we need, not a show boat, but an actual hard nosed worker!!!

69. By rasmusbach on Mar 14, 2008 | Reply

L. Coles hasen’t exactly shown any desire in the past that he has any desire to retire as a Jet, and I for one think the jets have been more than generous to make his 11 mio. guaranteed. He did sign the RESTRUCTURED deal…

70. By Xavion on Mar 14, 2008 | Reply

Hey Drew I got a big stop for you 2004 vs the seahawks it was seahawks ball with 1 yard to the goal line Donnie H’s D stopped him and forced a fumble that was recovered. Not only did that help win that game but by stopping him that 1 yd short Martin Got the rushing title. Had they not made that stop Martin wouldnt have gotten that Honor. I call that a big stop in the grand scheme of things

71. By Row on Mar 19, 2008 | Reply

Can one other fan agree we need to fix our needs? CB and WR are #1 on our list. Gholston would be a great outside linebacker, but we need a corner and a WR, since we failed to sign any worthy linebacker, maybe we could trade our pick that woud be Gholston to cincinnati for Chad Johnson.

72. By GIOVANNI LEONE on Mar 20, 2008 | Reply

WHY NOT TRADE D-ROB FOR A3RD,ANDA4TH,AND THEN TRY TO MAKE ATRADE WITH DALLAS FOR THEY 2#1,AND TRADE PICK#28OF THE 1ST AND A 4TH ROUNDER FOR CHAD,JOHNSON,AND WITH THE 22SD PICK,GET A CB,AND A OUR 2SD ROUNDER GO FOR JOE FLACCO,OR A DE,AND THE 3RD GET A QB,BREEM WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE,GREAT ARM,AND DOES NOT TURN THE BALL OVER,YES HE HAD A BAD GAME IN THE SENIOR BOLW,BUT A VERRY GOOD PASSER.

73. By Gustavo A. Flores on Apr 9, 2008 | Reply

I hope we don’t gift wrap another number one talent in D-Rob to another team. He is a great player and he would be dominant as an end in the 3-4. I would put my life on it if Mangini or anyone else asked. Don’t make other teams better with our draft picks. Mangini and Tatennbaum get a grip of reallity and Put this guy as a Def. End as he is unblockable and he demans double team so does Jenkins.