• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Maynard Flying In for Jets Night at Shea

Posted by Randy Lange on April 21, 2008 – 1:16 pm

One far-out fortnight is ahead for us here at newyorkjets.com and for you Jets fans who have been with us on the Radar for the last year.

We’ll have a lot of draft stuff for you this week, augmented by Real Football Services’ reports (next one, on trade rumors at the top of the draft, due on the site Tuesday morning) and Real’s last mock draft. Then comes the draft on Saturday and Sunday and the rookie minicamp, this year coming one week after the draft.

But there are a few non-draft items that are coming up on the calendar as well, and one of them comes up the day after the draft in Jets Night at Shea a week from today.

And in regard to the celebration of the Green & White’s 20 years at that big apple orchard in Queens, I have this bit of late-breaking news:

Don Maynard will be on hand for the festivities.

Yes, Maynard, No. 13, Jets Hall of Famer, one of Joe Namath’s two favorite receivers, is coming in from his idyllic Southwestern stomping grounds to be a part of the night of reminiscing along with the Mets, who are playing their last year at Shea Stadium before moving over to next-door Citi Field in 2009.

Maynard makes it a touchdown (minus the PAT) of former Jets who used to ply their trades on the floor of Shea from 1964-83 and will be on hand for this special event — Joe Klecko, Wesley Walker, Greg Buttle, Randy Beverly and John Schmitt.

I can also report that according to my sources, Mr. Met is getting into the spirit of the night and may have a sartorial surprise for the Mets and Jets fans in the stands for the Amazins’ game against the Pittsburgh Steelers — I mean Pirates — that night.

There are a few other wrinkles for the occasion. The 12-by-10-foot Jets flag that has been displayed at Jets Welcome Home luncheons will fly from one of the center field flagpoles that night.

And the Shea Countdown counter will be flipped to the number "69." That’s the number of games remaining, including that night’s game, in the Mets’ Shea tenancy. It also happens to be the last two digits of the calendar year in which the two teams, once joined at the hip pads, won celebrated championships — the Jets for their historic Super Bowl III conquest and the Mets for their 1969 World Series triumph.

For information on Jets Night at Shea, you can click on the news release here.

Brian’s Song for a Wider Market

Congratulations are in order for Brian Bassett, a friend, supporter of newyorkjets.com and follower of the Green & White who has been one of those dastardly bloggers at TheJetsBlog.com. Bassett was recently added as a partner to SportsNet New York’s Web site. And this week he’s begun in his new temporary role as a guest blogger for The New York Times’ Fifth Down. Hopefully, Brian, working for the print media won’t destroy your new street cred.

Tags: , , , , , ,

37 Responses to “Maynard Flying In for Jets Night at Shea”

1. By Ira on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

Randy, Sounds like a fun night at Shea and with the upcoming draft and Jets Night there is a feel of football in the air. Who am i kidding fotball has turned into a 12 month deal. GO JETS!!!!

2. By Denny on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

“Jets Night” without Namath and Gastineau? Two of the greatest Jets too wear a uniform aren’t even going to be there. But it is pretty cool that Don Maynard is making an appearance, he’s one of the most underrated WR’s ever to play the game!

3. By Tom Spicer on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

The Jets need a explosive player O that could put points on the board & change our boring O a guy that other teams have to game plan for I will tell you right now other teams are not going into a game saying we have to stop T Jones McFadden is the guy next year when he throws a TD runs for 2 50 + yard TDS & changes the face of our O & him & Jones are the perfect 1 2 punch ALL OF YOU WILL EAT CROW

4. By Frank on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

You know I’ve been thinking about this for awhile. With this story I think it is time for me to unveil a new Frank original idea. Since we have Mr. Met I think we should have a Mr. Jet. After great pontification and with fanfare I hereby nominate Ira to be our official team mascot and please everyone let’s refer to him as Mr. Jet! Do I have a second?

5. By Frank on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

Spicer can I barbeque my Crow? or does it have to be fried?

6. By Tom Spicer on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

Frank BBQ all the way tailgate style 3 biggest Jet needs 1 pass rusher 2 playmaker on O 3 corner back they can get a good corner in the 2nd round take C Long (he is gone by 4 the latest) Gholston or McFadden if not try to trade down do not take a corner with the 6th pick get into the teens pick up some more picks than take Harvey or Groves or Merling.

7. By MikeMc on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

Mcfadden isn’t even on our board not at 6 or at 60 sorry Tom, don’t you see a pattern with Tangini .When you have a 1-2 punch like Jones and Washington you don’t draft skinny legged fumbling character issued RB’s. I hope McFadden has a wonderful career cleans up his act, his associates but does it somewhere else too much of a risk at #6.

8. By MikeMc on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

I do agree we need a real threat on offense, somebody that can really stretch the field, a homerun threat to take some D out of the box so we can run , run and run some more . The play action pass will become the weapon it should be, opposing defenses will be worn down in the 4th Q. I do feel we need pass rush first, CB 2nd though.

9. By Drew on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

As a rareYankee/Jet fan I think Mr Met is the most ridiculous mascot in the history of sports but I do like Frank’s idea of Ira becoming Mr.Jet. This might be the only “original” idea that makes any sense……Spicer has there been a story that you have not posted that we should draft Mcfadden? We get it you really think he is explosive. Would you take C Long/Gholsten over Mcfadden?

10. By Ira on Apr 21, 2008 | Reply

Frank, You’re too funny. GO JETS!!!!

11. By Fran'scan on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Randy, I have heard some serious draft day trade rumors with D Rob. A) D Rob + draft picks for L. Sheppard at PHL or for R. Williams at Det. Both are quite interesting although I have to say RW would be my personal choice. Am not sure if we have the space to pick up these contracts but the thought of a big WR is something we are sorely missing. Finally, Ira has my vote as Mr. Jet, go buy a cape !

12. By Ira on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

If C.Long happens to drop to the Jets you take him and don’t look back. Question today is are McKelvin, Cromartie,and Talib going to be as good as Revis, Ross and Hall?

13. By Chad Fan on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Drew, I’m a Yankee fan also.
    Randy, what happened to Chad’s Tundra pop-up ad?

14. By Ira on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Randy, About that Real Football article and the Jets wanting Gholston thats fine but to trade up and give up a 2nd and 4th rd pick would be out of the question. They can’t afford to give up picks this year to take Gholston who is not a lock like Mario Williams was. And even Williams didn’t get it going until year 2.

15. By Frank on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Drew you are like an annoying little Chihuahua constantly yapping and nipping at my heels. Talk about negativity geeezzzz! You can’t stand that I overshadow you and that I make so much sense now your jealous I’m making friends go away please. Hey Spicer your on with the tailgate party if Tangini draft’s McFumble I’ll bring the Crow what barbeque sauce do you like? Tell Ira he’s invited too!

16. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

MikeMC we have T Jones what does that mean he is the description of the word BUST he was a top 10 pick had 2 good years in 8 years. he did nothing for the Cards for 3 years than did nothing for the Bucs for a year then went to the Bears & did nothing for them the 1st year than the draft Benson & he say hey this is my 3rd team & they just took this guy with a top 5 pick so he plays hard for 2 years

17. By drew on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Frank, as McFadden’s stock has fallen, so have I for you. Lets bring a whole new meaning to tailgating. Love Drew.

18. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

knowing his career is on the line than he comes to the Jets & stinks last year again I know the O line stunk but he did not run hard last year he is an AVG NFL back when he got the ball & there was no hole did he put his head down & run NO he did not I would take McFadden in a heart beat 1 T Jones would have to run hard cause his job is on the line 2 worst case McFaaden is as good as him but 10

19. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

years younger with breakaway speed now lets say he is not a bust then we will have 1 of the best RB’S in the game We do not have a QB that can go out & win games for us with his arm we need to win by running the ball & playing good D with McFadden & Jones & this new O line we would pound teams into the ground I think it gives us our best chance to win games

20. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Drew I would take McFadden over Long or Gholston but do not get me wrong I would be VERY VERY happy if the Jets got either Long or Gholston I just do not want them to take a DB with the 6th pick if they can not get 1 of the above 3 than try to trade down you can get a good DB in the 2nd round I do not want that pick unless the guy is the next Deon Sanders go pass rusher or STUD RB or trade down

21. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

I would rather have C Long over Gholston Long may not have the upside that Gholston has but he does not have the downside to be a total bust like Gholston does Long will be a good to great player to me no chance of being a bust like Gholston also being Howie Longs son you know he is not a bad guy & will do the right thing off the field he does not take plays off like Gholston & he played in a 3 -4

22. By Drew on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

By the way Frank I am not sure who posted the tailgating and love drew post ? It was actually pretty funny but not sure how that made it on…… I love the fake Drew angle to this site…LOL…. Did you say I was jealous you started to make friends and overshadow me? Take your head out the sand son and be careful that Chihuahua does bite!

23. By Drew on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Spicer… I would be pretty upset if we take a CB also. If Gholsten/Long/Mcfadden are gone will can hopefully work Cinn and or NO to get out of 6 and get them to come up for Sedrick Ellis. They both want that guy. I just hope KC dosent pull out some tricks at 5. If they deal J Allen and get an additional 1st they will have a lot of firepower in this draft.

24. By Ira on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Check out the front page of the site. Interesting that they are showing pictures of Chatman. Read into it this way with Jones and Leon and now the addition of Chatman they are set at RB’s and will not draft McFadden. They need to draft the best available defensive player they can get. Hopefully a CB.GO JETS!!!!

25. By ken on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Randy, what do you think about the jets trading Pennington (Herm liked him) & their first round pick and a late 3rd or 4th pick for the chiefs Jared Allen defensive end and the chiefs 5th pick to get matt ryan the qb? Thanks Ken

26. By MikeMc on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

WOW, do you feel better Tom, you really vented, got alot off your chest . My only point was Jones was the best player on a super bowl team, hes got great character,is in tremendous shape,doesn’t fumble, and got 1400 behind one of the wost lines in football.Leon has the speed and durability as a change of pace back. We just sunk a ton of money in Jones last yr. and the #6 pick will cost a fortune.

27. By MikeMc on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Mcfadden may be 10 times better than jones and I still wouldn’t draft him. I don’t think Gholston will be a bust, maybe not as productive on the next level. C.Long will fit in somewhere, 3-4 OLB, or hybrid, just a true athlete. a CB or WR will be a reach at #6 but I think they will dry up quick 15-30. I am reserved into being happy with anything Tangini decides ,except inviting Tom into the Waroom

28. By Dunnie on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Spicer … TJones played harder than just about anyone we had on offense last year. That dude did run hard. Plus it was his first year behind our horrible O line.
    Mcfadden would be a luxury pick … something we don’t have right now. That being said … I would not be heartbroken if we landed him. BTW : Randy … we need to have a topic based discussion board … these multiple posts stink …

29. By Dunnie on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

My heart drops when I come here and see that Tom Spicer has written six posts in a row. LOL. Seriously … maybe extend the length of the posts … or … have an moderated official JETS forum. Just an Idea .. you guys are doing a great job as is. =). Let hope we fall short of McFadden but Long on C. Long. =) Ouch that was a bad pun.

30. By Dunnie on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Its official … the Dolphins signed J Long.

31. By CEDRIC on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

My brain is gona explode with this draft talk…we shouldnt even worry anymore…Marino aint on the Board…I dont care who we get, they did agoodenough job in the offseason to have flexibilty in the Draft, we should be proud of them…best available player. Chatman is good, he runs Hard.

32. By Frank on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Ira I agree with you on the CB pick. If Long or Gohlston are not an option at 6 and Tangini doesn’t trade up or down I say Cromartie is the pick. We need someone to cover Moss for the next 3 years especially if we don’t land a pass rusher. I like Cromartie for his speed and more importantly his height 6’2″ he had a great senior bowl and combine. He is the best matchup for Moss and I would pick him

33. By Randy Lange on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Dunnie, we’re giving thought to that.

34. By frank on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Drew I also loved the post and feel the same way… about…. the draft. We now park by the arena close to the overpass, come by on opening day and I’ll show you how some real italians smoke sausage. GO JETS.

35. By Randy Lange on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Radarheads, be advised that we have lower-case frank, drew and ira posting along with Upper-Case Frank, Drew and Ira.

36. By Drew on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Damn imposters!! LOL

37. By Frank on Apr 22, 2008 | Reply

Randy I’m honored I am designated upper case Frank…thank you!