• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conferences: Coordinators Dennis Thurman, Marty Mornhinweg and Thomas McGaughey will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

SHOES: No Need to Play Favre in Philly

Posted by jetsstaff on August 27, 2008 – 2:42 pm

I have to admit I don’t get it. I don’t understand why anyone cares. Start chanting with me: "It just doesn’t matter! It just doesn’t matter!"

Seriously, who cares if Brett Favre plays in the last preseason game? It’s beyond irrelevant. Does anyone really think that a cup of coffee Thursday night is going to move Favre from the unprepared to the prepared category for the Miami opener?

Put yourself in Eric Mangini’s place if you’re making this call. Say you play Favre against the Eagles — how long would you leave him on the field? One series, maybe two? So we’re talking roughly 6-12 plays. Does anyone think that’s going to be the difference maker for an 18-year NFL veteran?

Now, I know what you might be thinking — he’s new to the offense, he needs as much on-field time with his wideouts to keep creating chemistry, he needs all the reps he can get to become even more familiar with the playbook.

In my opinion, all of that can be accomplished in practice. What the fans don’t see is the classroom work Favre is doing every day to learn the playbook, the reps he’s getting with the first-team offense on the practice field, maybe as many as 60-70 snaps in a given session.

That’s where the chemistry will develop, that’s where the work is getting done. Favre might total as many as 300 practice snaps, maybe even more, from the end of the Giants preseason game to the opener in Miami. What difference does anyone think 10 plays against the Eagles will actually make?

Also keep in mind that if you subscribe to the theory that Favre needs all the game action he can get before opening day and you want him to not only play against the Eagles but play a lot, there is a ripple effect to that decision that makes it even less sensible.

In order for Favre to make the night really worth the effort, all the other starters have to play as long as he does. Jerricho Cotchery would now have to play a big chunk of time. After all, what good would it do for Favre to spend the game throwing passes to receivers that will be cut the next day? Ditto for Chris Baker, Bubba Franks, Brad Smith, etc. Heck, Laveranues Coles won’t be playing in either case. You wouldn’t sit Coles and his bad ankle the whole preseason and play him in the last game one week before the start of the season.

And it goes without saying that as long as Favre is in the game, the starting offensive line would have to be on the field as well … the whole time. There’s no way you’d put the health of your star quarterback into the hands of reserve pass protectors. So now, for Favre to get anything out of the night, you’ve got all your starters playing at least half of a game that normally is a night off for just about all starters in the NFL, and this a week before the games that count get under way.

As one last aside, I know it’s a different set of circumstances — an entrenched player that knows his team’s system and doesn’t play quarterback — but keep this is mind as well, just as a frame of reference. LaDainian Tomlinson has played one snap of preseason football in nearly four years.

Tags: , ,
Posted in Bob Wischusen | 58 Comments »

58 Responses to “SHOES: No Need to Play Favre in Philly”

1. By Eric NM on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

BW: You make a good case to play the entire offensive first team together or play none of them. Realistically, the time is better served observing those on the roster bubble or who could use specific work on a technique. Thanks for the post–it changed my opinion on playing #4.

2. By al from wisc on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

makes sense to me . why risk someone going down. better things to come. Got my green and white #4 yesterday Looks neat

3. By Ira on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

Bob, Welocme to the Radar.Good post and i agree forget about the WR’s they have zero depth on the o-line as of right now. So like you said if any of their starting o-linemen were to get hurt vs the Eagles it would be a disaster.Eric has made the correct decIsion and let’s get ready for the Fish. Tomorrow will be fun watching some of the younger guys trying to show their stuff to make this team.

4. By oldtimegreen on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

BF will never be on the field without the first team OL, never! Second, if Eagles stay true to the past, what good is Brett playing against 2nd & 3rds? Once thought he should play,thankfully I lost that thought in a NY-moment; seeing Osi carted off Sat. Would strangely felt better if Reid played starters. Not now…w some 3rd string making a name for himself. From this Sat: 7 practices til Fish.

5. By Ken on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

The reason FAVRE should/might play is the JETS offense is a NEW offense for Fvare. And Favre needs as MUCH exposure and REAL TIME play, and REAL time game action running the new JETS offense that FAVRE can get, BEFORE the REAL game against Miami. Partice time for Favre is good, but you can’t compare practice time with REAL game exprience.

6. By Howard on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

nice blog bob glad to be able to read your blogs and get your views,your radio work for the jets is fabulous as i work most sundays and listen to you and 93 and as for bf like you said let the starters sit for a week

7. By Josh A (Overland Park, KS) on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

I fully agree with you. The risk is greater than the reward to play Favre. Just imagine if he were to get hurt. The N.Y. media would put Mangini on a cross along with every NY Jets fan who had high hopes of a championship calibur team this year. As you stated, the 18 yr vet will do just fine with reps in practice. I only hope the new o-line gels together so Farve feels comfortable back there

8. By Row on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

I would rather Favre not play, but I trust the judgement of our coach. If anything, we should play the first team O-line and run on the Eagles. Ainge should start so he can get a chance to get signed. Brad Smith is beginning to show some flash again, he will have a roster spot. Coles has had a bad ankle for 6 months, he needs to suck it up. He’s still getting paid, he needs to do something.

9. By ddh on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

I agree 100%, best to keep starters in as controlled an environment as possible not going against players fighting for a spot on any teams roster.
    And that goes for whole first string, jet fans should be well aware of the season long effects of an injury let alone a needless one, especially with only one week left before the season opener.

10. By Esteban on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

I agree with you, it doesn’t matter, imagine that Brett gets hurt!!! for a silly pre-season game, like Mike VIck did a couple of years ago!, also the starter spot is clinched, so let’s give some time to the other guys!

11. By Robbie on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

I cound’t agree more. I love to watch Brett play but you gotta look at the big picture here.

12. By k9krapola on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

we need trent dilfer as our qb….cut clemmins he sucks ….. next year start radcliff….tomas jones is as good as my gonads…money wasted…..2 years and nothing…..come on tanimbag, get it together…. manginmyass has got to go now!!!!!!!

DECLINED: VULGARITY (SUCKS, SCREEN NAME)

13. By Frank on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

…Favre is here for one year keep it simple and turn him loose otherwise what’s the point. Hey Mangini & Co. wake up and stop the silly nonsense both on offense and defense let the players play football and stop out thinking yourself. The team is uptight and thinking too much…got it? If I hear one more time from Mangini that anything is a work in progress I’m going to lose it. NO MORE EXCUSES!

14. By wayne on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

Frank, I completely agree with you. Previous 2yrs they only let players loose after the season got away from them. Go get the QB. It’s not just the players who need to learn from Favre how to approach the game, the coach needs to lighten up a bit too. The darth vader Belichick thing is old and overrated.

15. By Harvlis on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

I totally disagree with you. The starters were not on the same page, in the Giant game. They need to work together, in a real game situation, in order to prove to themselves that they are ready. If it takes a quarter of football, with all starters playing, so be it. Favre has played in the last pre-season game before. He wants to play. Who knows better him or you?

16. By steven on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

I totally agree with not playing him. Let it fly in the opener!!!

17. By ant on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

Preseason is the time to experiment with your new players and your new plays that you want to see become a sucess or fail. The real focus is on the season. The team needs to develop a comradery and togetherness to become a playoff team that can win a superbowl. The Game is not won by only one person( coach, player, play, or fan base). Patience and exectution is the key to winning.

18. By icanbelieveit on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

Hey, “Shoes”, pleased to meet you. I’ll be hanging onto your every word as a retread from Packerland. I am totally unacquainted with your style but I do hope it is all football. ALSO, I agree re: Brett going into the game against Philly. The Eagles are no strangers to Brett so he doesn’t need the practice reading their defenses, no matter what look they come with. Save it ’til 9/7!!!

19. By GAME on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

Good call – keep favre fresh for week one. this will also be a great oppertunity to see what Ainge can do in the league as well – he should be a big surprise!!!

20. By JC Edwards on Aug 27, 2008 | Reply

Boy you all sound like a bunch of old hens clucking at the beauty parlor with curlers in your hair. I would feel much better actually if Brett did not play the last pre-season game; even with as much as he wants too.
    Talk about the best time for “murphy’s law……..if it’s going to go wrong; it will go wrong” and Brett ending up getting hurt. I know he’s tuff. But let’s save it for the real deal

21. By EYEH8DAPATS on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

I can’t wait for the season to start! Farve will be fine and the Jets defense is going to be sick this year. They looked very good against the giants and that was a preseason game. Rhodes said he was excited because they had not shown anything to the other teams just a base D. Now lets go out there and get flipper in 11 days. J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS

22. By Tom on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

I dont care if he plays or not, GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. By Ray on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

To Harvlis and KEN, the litle bit of CHEMISTRY that BRETT and the oline could develop in ONE QUARTER against the beagles would be FAR out weighed by the DAMAGE done if he GOT HURT!! He’s an 18 year vet., he knows the drill. The problems with the O-line last week had nothing to do with chemistry, they were mental errors, which get corrected in PRACTICE. Go Jets! Squish the Fish!!

24. By Ray on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Some pretty big cuts have to be made after the beagle game. Here are a few names I DON’T want to see on the list of released players: Henry, Ainge, Caulcrick (who I haven’t seen much of so I worry about him) or Pociask. I am sure if any of them go on the PS they won’t be there very long ala Danny Ware.

25. By Row on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Danny Ware is not a phenom. He couldn’t possibly have helped us last year. Henry will be cut. I am glad Eric is changing things, trying to make things work. I really need to see some points today. I don’t like the wing formations we are running out of, no room for spread offense in the NFL. It hasn’t worked and will continue to not work. Anyone know about J. Miller?

26. By Tom Spicer on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Even with the trade for Favre the Jets still have 9 draft picks next year cause of the trades of Robertson & Vilma the Jets could have offered a pick moved up 2 spots got McFadden & we would be going to the Super Bowl right now our O would be unstoppable he is that good. T Jones is fading he looks slow & old & we dont know if Gholston will ever be able to make the move to LB I do not understand it

27. By Drew on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

I ‘m actually going to tonight’s game. My China trip has been put off until next month (thank god) and I work with a bunch of Eagle fans. If Favre or any significant starter is in the game tonight I might rush the field myself. Just imagine the magical off season got ruined for a couple of series against guys that will never wear a NFL uniform after tonight’s game.. I hear rain, should be fun :(

28. By duane on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Im sure like me most people just want to see him in some action. But the thing that bothers me most is the fact he said he wants to play. Now Bretts been playing for a long, long time so I beleive this guy knows what hes talking about! Put him out there for a series! And than lets see Clemens for a series or two. To finish, lets see the other Brett! Ratliff that is, this guy should be the # two.

29. By #1dolphinsfan on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

if i was the coach of the jets i would put farve in for at least the first quarter and have him a run a couple qb draws and sneaks

30. By Larry on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Ray. Little bit of chemistry outweighs his getting hurt? This has got to be the most ridiculous, unthinking comment Ive read on this site. So, we aquire him,tailor an offense around him pay his contract and theres no damage done if he gets hurt in preseason? Unbelievable!!!!!!!

31. By Ken on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

RAY yes I know that FAVRE could get hurt in a pre-season game. But FAVRE could get hurt in PRACTICE too! You people don’t make sense. Favre could get HURT just walking down the street. If it is ment to happen it will happen. Favre needs more playing time in REAL game action because the JETS offense is so NEW to him. And practice can NEVER fully duplicate REAL game speed and timing people!

32. By Joe on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

McFadden is going to be a bust. Mendenhall was the best back coming out of the draft. Mcfadden cant block and he spent his career rushing outside the tackles at arkansas. Just cuz you did ok in a preseason game doesnt make you good. and same for thomas jones just because you do bad in preseason doesnt make you bad. Hell be ready, If the line makes holes hell make it happen. Hes a banger

33. By Ira on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Drew, Going to to the too. Hear the rain could hold off until after the game. Enjoy!

34. By Frank on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Spicer, I am buying you a McFumble bobble head doll for Christmas!… Enough with the McFadden nonsense. Do you remember the draft a few years ago with Bush vs. Williams? Who would you rather have? Williams struggled his first year and now look at him so all you VG whiners out there quite down.

35. By Ken on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

RATLIFF should definitely be back QB #2, but I keep thinking Mangini feels obilgated to Clemens. RATLIFF is by far the better back up QB to Favre. And when Favre leaves the JETS in 1 or 2 or 3 yrs, RATLIFF might be the Jets QB for the future. But I heard they might use RATLIFF as trade bait. The JETS better NOT trade RATLIFF! We need a good QB like RATLIFF for when FAVRE retires.

36. By tom on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

i HATE when PEOPLE talk like THIS

37. By Pranit on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Whats the difference in getting hurt in the last pre-season game or the first play/game of the regular season??sure, everyone wants to be careful, but its ironic to to all the gaudy speeches mangini makes through the season…”we all have to come through in adveristy”..isn’t he contradicting his own stuff? RATLIFF puts clemens miles away..right, mangini picked clemens, so has to defend him..

38. By Drew on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Spicer…Just a reminder I along with a couple of other guys warned you that Felix Jones and Mendenhall will have better years than your Mcfadden. Enough with this guy already.

39. By CEDRIC on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

GM Spicer…lol, i wonder if Row even watches the games or if he just wakes up with opinions. This back and forth between us Fans is so redundant. Makes me shake my head. Can’t wait until kickoff so we can shut up about “what If’s” and play some football.

40. By Zigo on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

I think Brett Ratliff should be the week one starter, he’s shown everything you need in a QB and even though everyone loves Brett Favre, Ratliff will become THE greatest quarterback of all time.

41. By Row on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Spicer, have you seen anyone run behind our line? Thomas Jones is not old and slow, he is getting hit in the backfield. That is why we were running a lot of screens. If you know anything about track, runners hit their prime at 30, believe it or not. These are professional athletes, Pennington was scrambling for 20 yards last week, age doesn’t equal ability. Run vs Eagles, it will help waste clock.

42. By Willy C on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Bob, it’s been an absolute pleasure to have you as the jet radio broadcaster. I am a NJ native living in Europe for the past 5 years and it has been great to have such a detailed and moreover passionate jets fan broadcasting. NFL game pass though is old hat and i now have a sling player (live NY TV on PC) so please do us all a favor and get on CBS !!!! Simms and yourself would be a perfect combo !

43. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

I read an article saying that Chatman was one of the vets on the bubble, I sure hope there is no creedence to that statement. Does anyone agree with me that he was the only back during the preseason who impressed? What a huge mistake that would be.

44. By MikeMc on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Welcome back Frank.

45. By jhansen on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Just my opinion, the people that pay for a preseason ticket or are duped into having to buy the preseason should get to see a few minutes of starters even if they give their tickets to give someone else a chance to go, let them see at least a series or two of quality play.

46. By tommyo on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

KEN!!!!! DUDE U ROCK! RATLIFFF HAS THE COMPOSURE AND THE ARM MINUS THE INJURIES CLEMENS HAS SUFFERED ALREADY. I WAS NEVER SO IMPRESSED SEEING CLEMENS AS I WAS WHEN I SAW BRETT RATLIFF DOMINAE FROM THE QB POSITION!! HES THE BRETT OF THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. By Laura Barker on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Great comments. Totally agree. You know your stuff. I have to agree with the fan comment that I thought I was a Packer fan until Favre has gone to another team. Now I realize I’m a Bret Favre fan more than a Packer fan. Go Favre! Go Jets! I think it would be great for them to play each other in the Super Bowl. There is no doubt I would be cheering for the green and white.

48. By Tommy Harris Company on Aug 28, 2008 | Reply

Well I’m another person that thought I’d be a Packer fan for life as I was born and raised in Wisconsin, but with the deduction of Favre it made my ability to watch the Packers go bye bye……made me realize that Brett…. IS REAL FOOTBALL TO ME! Go Jets!!

49. By BUZZ on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I agree with Laura I too am a Bret fan. But also a Packer fan..Guess what theres one in the AFC and one in the NFC so now I got 2 teams to go for. Glad I got direct TV;) Now if the Jets and Pack meet in the bowl, for this year ima J E T S jets jets jets fan!!!!!

50. By Ray on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Well, Larry, if that’s what I said you would be right. But if you go back and READ my comment again, you’ll see that I was telling 2 previous posters that he SHOULD NOT play because if he got hurt it would cause far MORE damage than the little bit of chemistry it would build. The comment wasn’t unthinking, but your reading comprehension really needs work!!

51. By Ray on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Ken why do you think they wear red shirts in practice? So NO ONE HITS THEM. You think he could have worn a red shirt so the beagles wouldn’t have hit him? IT WASN’T WORTH IT. The sense is in the big picture, Favre healthy and playing against Miami or chancing him getting hurt in a meaningless game.

52. By Ray on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Really Row? Ware wasn’t a phenom? Wow, thanks, I thought everyone assigned to the PS was a franchise player. That wasn’t really the point, the point was that like Ware, I think any of those guys if placed on the PS would quickly be snapped up by another team. As for Henry being cut, I guess we’ll see on that this week. Oh, and funny I didn’t see many 30 yr olds running track in the olympics.

53. By Bobi Sanders on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I have been a GBay fan since the early 60’s. This year is the first time I have ever not cared whether they win or lose. I still hope Brett’s old team members do well, like Jennings and Driver-but the thrill of GBay is now in NY. Favre used to be an icon for GBay but really he is an icon for football period. I watch GB but now I follow Favre and have a new team-Go Jets-Go Favre!

54. By Dawn on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I have enjoyed watching Favre play football for all his years in Green Bay. I now join the many others who will cheer Brett on with his new team. To all the Jets fans, I hope you enjoy watching him play for your team as much as I have enjoyed him throughout the years. He has a big heart and loves to do what it takes to win. Go Jets I wish you the Best!!!!!!!!!

55. By Brian on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I go to a lot of away games and I am never sure what Jersey to wear. Is there any way to find out before each game. I will be in Miami. Green Or White ?

56. By Gwen Gillen on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I’m a Wisconsinite and also a former Packer fan, I’ve watched Brett Favre give his all for the Packers for many years. He’s an incredible team player. He gives his all when he plays and he does so with humility. I just wish that I had the oportunity to watch him play now. We don’t get the Jets games, but I’ll cheer for the Jets. Go Jets!

57. By Bob Wischusen on Aug 30, 2008 | Reply

Brian, as Bill Parcells would say, you gotta come to the game to find out. Why not bring both jerseys? But traditionally the Dolphins wear their white tops at home, especially early in the season.

58. By Dan Packerfan on Aug 30, 2008 | Reply

As a Packer season ticket holder, this year as in the past, I got rid of my pre-season tickets. Brett was usually only briefly in the games, if at all, and most people who recieved my tickets in the past were disappointed he didn’t play. The main rule will always be the same…PROTECT YOUR QUARTERBACK! I will miss #4 in Green Bay, Good Luck to the Jets and Brett.