• Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Oct. 03, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:55 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Oct. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 07, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Every Tuesday throughout the season, Jets fans can tune into Jets Extra Point, a weekly show that dissects the previous week's game with detailed analysis. The show will also feature exclusive interviews with Jets players and coaches. Host Brian Custer is joined by Ray Lucas, Tony Richardson, and a rotating panel of Jets on SNY analysts.
  • Wed., Oct. 08, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Thu., Oct. 09, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.

BUTTLE: Winds of Change Are Blowing

Posted by jetsstaff on September 12, 2008 – 4:29 pm

What I try to do when I write blogs is to think about what fans would think about and then write about those things. For instance, Jets fans would be absolutely thrilled — I said this on my radio show the other night — when asked: What do you think about Tom Brady? And I said, "Every Jets fan out there’s thinking good riddance, that’s what it is." Do you think they feel sorry for him? No. Do you think any player should feel sorry for him? No.

The issue is this: It’s always happened to the Jets. All of this has always happened to the Jets. From Vinny Testaverde’s Achilles’ on down to when I played, back to Joe Namath. You know, it either rained too hard, it snowed too hard, they fumbled the ball, the guy got hurt, we just almost made it.

And now the vision’s there. It’s not that it wouldn’t have been there if Brady was playing. But certainly that now has been made a little clearer. The path to the Super Bowl does go through New England until that changes.

But the winds of change are blowing. They were blowing in the off-season when the Jets redid their offensive line. And then the winds blew a little more when they added to their defense — Pace and Jenkins, to name two of them, were just excellent additions. Forget the deletions because I’m not in here to beat people up, but those two guys alone can help this Jets defense do what it couldn’t do before.

I’ve always said it’s not about making tackles, it’s about making tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. That’s the difference, that’s what makes a big-play defense. That’s what I think this Jets defense has become. Time will tell how good it’s going to be, but as Jets fans would look at it, they’d say, boy this is a big difference.

That’s because people have historical reference. "Oh, these guys remind me of the Jets defense of the late Seventies, early Eighties." "Oh, yeah, this reminds me of the Sack Exchange." All those kinds of things I think Jets fans are going to start to realize. Or maybe are thinking of right now.

And I don’t blame them because that’s how I think. And I look and say, "Wow, how about the offensive line?" The offensive line that was dreadful last year, and we all know the reasons why. It never got better. It may have cost Pennington his job. It cost a lot of guys their jobs. But the bottom line is Jets fans can say Woody Johnson went out and spent a lot of money improving it.

Now, there is the possibility they could’ve chosen the wrong guys, and time will tell. They could’ve chosen the right guys, and I for one thought Faneca was an excellent choice and Damien Woody was even better. And I mean it in this sense: The line at tackle must be solidified. You can’t run the ball without offensive tackles that seal and cut off. Woody does that as well as anyone.

The Jets offense looks to be in good balance. They’ve got Brett Favre — unquestionably, as far as I’m concerned, the best quarterback to play. I think they’ve got all the pieces. They’ve got wide receivers, they’ve got defense, they have the offensive line, they’ve got the running back. C’mon. The only question left is: Do they have consistency?

And they have a big, big opportunity here to go out and make a statement on Sunday against a very good New England Patriots team without Tom Brady. And as the year wears on and people get injured and you get your weaknesses exposed, the Patriots may not be as good as people think they are.

You know, I’m not an excuse guy. Injuries in the NFL are big. But unless the Jets have something that I don’t foresee in injuries, I look for a big season from them, and I said as much to Jets fans on my SNY show and on ESPN Radio. I said before that the Jets certainly can be an 11-5 team and I’ll maintain it. Jets fans have a lot to look forward to.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 73 Comments »

73 Responses to “BUTTLE: Winds of Change Are Blowing”

1. By barbara on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

hey randy,
    i know this is off the subject, but if we do not live in new york, is there a way we can watch the pep rally???? i live in L.A. california. go jets!

2. By HDR on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

My sentiments exactly. I’ve been holding back emotions for the last 4wks. I’m still in disbelief over what the JETS have done in the months since last Feb. I see the plan too. Although I do know that we would’ve beaten them with brady this year because of the additions. Brett has made this team believe that they can Win it all NOW.

3. By HDR on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

He’s made me feel that we can finally win it all now. With the new training facility, the new pro bowl laced vet leadership, Brett Favre, and finally, a real 3-4 defense, the ski is truly the limit for these JETS!!! I think all Jet fans will fly the friendly ski this football season!!!!!

4. By rob on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

I thought this team had the talent to beat the Patriots WITH Tom Brady. I’m actually a little disappointed that I won’t get to see the Jets battle the Pats @ full strength, bc in my mind, THAT is a true test to see how far this team has come since last year. But hey, thats life in the NFL, and I don’t feel bad for the Patriots one bit.

5. By Row on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

I agree to the Jets having the keys to success. My favorite way to run the ball is off tackle, which is where I had the most success. The Pats gave up 100+ on the ground, so we should be able to run the ball. I also would like to see us exploit the Pats weak corners. O’neal is an upgrade, but can be beaten. What I don’t want to see is Favre fumbling in the shotgun again. #4, play within the O.

6. By Jets Fan on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

Greg, I have been a life long Jet fan, and I absolutely see what you see in this team. Time will tell, but I think this will be a very good season for us. My only real concern is the fall off when Jenkins is out. FYI, I am a huge fan of yours Greg, and I glad your doing commentary and articles these days. Go Jets…

7. By Greg Buttle on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

barbara, there is no national coverage of this event. But if you have satellite TV and can find some local New York stations, primarily WCBS-TV, you could see highlights on this evening’s and tonight’s late-night news shows. And we’ll have a slideshow from our fantastic photog, Al Pereira, up on the site this weekend.

8. By Drew on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

This is why Buttle is loved by most Jet fans….He is 100% correct, who cares that Tom Brady is hurt. We have been burned plenty of times because of injuries. The Boston fans have had plenty of luck the last 8 years. I never want to see a player go down and I would have loved to beat the Pats at full strength but as Buttle put it……Good Riddance step on their heads while they are down!!!!

9. By MikeMc on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

BUUUU-TAAAAL- You are the man,what your saying about stopping the run at or behind the line is the key. If we can force 3&outs more often thats more offensive opportunities to run up the score or kill some clock both good things. I also agree good riddance to Brady for the time being.This is the first time I remember having the best QB in the division, so lets make some noise this season. GO JETS!

10. By BigEd on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

Greg good to hear from you! Hope it’s all going well! Thanks for all you’ve done for us. Defense wins championships and I’m watching to see if they’ve got what it takes. I’m excited about how it looks on paper but can they gel and produce? Games are won in the trenches and both lines look to have a good core! Everything is there. Can Brett get comfortable? If so look out!!!

11. By zartan on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

The Brady enjury just adds to the destiny.I wrote on this blog that i wasnt to big on bringing in Farve.Then i was watching espn & they showed highlite of him & i was like,DAME if we get him we can get to the superbowl.right after the higghlite they announce Brett was traded to the Jets. : )

12. By D J on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

I am sorry that Tom got hurt but that’s the game he chose to play. I want to see how Belicheat does. He has a 700 winning % with Brady and a 400 winning % without Bradt.

DECLINED: NAMECALLING

13. By Ira on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

Greg, You know as well as i do that games are won by the play of both sides of the lines. Well the Jets went out and fixed that this offseason. And then they add a future HOF QB and still one of the top 5 in the league. I would rather beat the Pats with Brady which i felt they could do. But like you said no complaints here and the Jets need to take care of business this week. I also agree 11-5!

14. By Howard on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

i like all of our additions but have to admit i was doutful on pace but his play and physicalnees have turned me around about him.the jets have to play a very physical game this week good line play on both sides,and stick a helmit in mosses back.GO JETS.and nice seeing ol 51 in here

15. By Burt Miller on Sep 12, 2008 | Reply

You are right once again Mr. Buttle other than the fact you say Farve is the best QB ever???……That is a pretty bold statement…One of the Best, yes…The best, no way. Montana, Unitas, Staubach, Aikman..should I keep going???

16. By ddh on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

hey Greg, thanks for the straight talk, its time to put political correctness and face saving double guessing behind us and put it all on the line and stand behind it. whats the worst they can call us, “butt heads” ,go jets !!!

17. By David on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

It is pretty sad when a fan base has to rejoice in wake on another teams misfortune. The Pats will still win the division at 11-5, no they won’t go 16-0 this year, because Tom Terrific is sidelined.

Prediction: Favre will be getting booed by mid-season , he is a wildcard and should have retired.

Oh ya, JETS Fans, when you win 3 Superbowls in 5 years, then your winds of change may be blowing

18. By Steve on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

I’ve been a life long Jets fan and I have to say this is as exciting a time to be a fan as any. I recently moved out of the country so I stay in touch with the team through the website. When I read the news that Farve was signed I flipped. Woody Johnson has done a terrific job putting a high quality organization together. Making the playoffs is realistic, but consistency on defense may be an issue

19. By Dave on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

First, I would like to say “GO JETS”. I have been a Packer fan my whole life. Our loss is your gain. The additions on the “O” and “D” lines plus Brett gives legitmate shot at 11-5. He has aged, no doubt but you have a top tier QB if you manage the gunslinger. For Brady, you have to respect the talent and should never wish a player injuried. A win over Brady makes a bigger statement too!

20. By Wayne on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Greg, I’m a huge fan of yours & a fan of the Jets dating back to ’69. I think your commentary is right on. We’ve been snake bitten by injury many times so now it’s the Patriots turn. We have the making of a very good team but chemistry, injuries, turnovers will be the key’s to it we have success or not. Greg, Do you think this D can have the similar success as “THE SACK EXCHANGE” did?

21. By MikeMc on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Stop the prognostications. Our Jets are 1-0 , they are better than the fins, period! We have better pieces this year which makes me optimistic, but this is a project we were 4-12 last season& all 4 wins were vs. bad teams. Don’t be disappointed if the pats win big or just win,it will take several games before we find out who we are,if we can win half along the way we’ll be in good shape for a run.

22. By ddh on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

concerning last weeks win, if Miami plays well against the cards and pats next week it may help define our win, I’m not trying to put lipstick on a pig( it was sloppy at times) but their not the same team, and only time will show to what extent.

23. By PJ on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Another sour grapes Pats fan…clinging to whatever little hope you have left. Brady is done; Pats are done and it’s the Jets time to step up and have a big season. Jets will beat the Pats convincingly on Sunday (38-17) and while it won’t be a perfect season for the Jets, I see 12-4 on the horizon. Pats fans…you’re DONE!

24. By Leenie in NC on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

I think now with Brady gone, the Jets will have a BIG season. We could actually win the division. But Eric needs to remember who his quarterback is. The 4th quarter last week on 3rd and long he calls a running play. That gave Chad a chance to beat us. Remember Eric Bret is a Jet!!!! We needed to get that first down. I was screaming SO LOUD, I’m sure he heard me. GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!

25. By D Class on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

In reference to the previous comment, we were 4-12 last season, but I will remind you that we lost 7 games by a touchdown or less. We did a great job in the off-season from day 1. This Jet team has the making to be special, and in Miami’s defense, I think its pretty clear with Tuna and Tony running the show, the Dolphins are a completely different team from last year. Time will tell, Go Gang Green

26. By Gee on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

I do not feel sorry for them, the way they embarrassed teams last year then to lose in the SUPERBOWL was karma. The only thing that should hold us back is or coaching staff. We should attack their secondary because they are weak and old. Their linebackers are slow we should be very successful on offense. And we are one cornerback away from the SUPERBOWL why dont we go after LITO SHEPPARD.

27. By Damone on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Greg always gets me hype.I agree with 95% of what he says!I wish i still lived on Long Island just to hear him commentate.

28. By Gary on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

thanks for the optimism. I was there in 1969 & haven’t been this excited since then. Can’t help thinking all the stars & planets are in alignment FINALLY.

29. By Big A on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Many good comments by fans who mostly agree on what has transpired over the last couple of years. We SEE the potential of this team and we SEE the potential for a changing of the guard. I think Buffalo is improving and it will add to the competition as the East continues to dominate the AFC. The Jets have an excellent chance to win it all, if they continue to refine their play and stay healthy.

30. By Big A on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

D, you said it. We weren’t that far behind the 18-0 Pats last year, even with our record.

Greg, I also have been a fan since before SB III. I’ve always appreciated your play. Thanks.

David, you sound like you’re in denial. 11-5? Sheeesh! How ’bout 8-8?

31. By Row on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    0 0
    It seems that every defense we have seen this year knows we are running the ball when in this formation. Is there any way we can change that so the RB’s don’t get hit in the backfield?

32. By HAHAHA on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

YOU KNOW, I DO BELIEVE THE JETS ARE BETTER THAN LAST YEAR. I JUST DONT BELIEVE THEY CAN GET ANYWHERE NEAR 12-4, NOT TO MENTION BEAT THE PATRIOTS TOMORROW BY MORE THAN A FEW POINTS. IF THIS GAME IS CLOSE, IT WILL BE BECAUSE THE LACK OF OFFENSE FROM THE PATRIOTS. EVERYONE SHOULD WAIT TO JUMP ON THE BRADY-LESS PATRIOTS BANDWAGON THINKING NOW ANYONE CAN BEAT THEM. LOOK AT THE STATS THE LAST 6 YEARS.

33. By Ray on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Hey David, it wasn’t too long ago that the Jets were considered the team to beat in the AFC by many. And then in week one, against the Pats no less, our qb went down in the first quarter and in essence so did our season. I was in a different chat board then and I remember vividly how many fans, many of them Patsie fans, were gloating and slobbering over our loss. Now go weep in the corner.

34. By Rick Roucoulet on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Nobody likes to be wrong but in this case, id love to be incorrect. As a JETS FANatic its hard for me to say this ” PLEASE guys, dont take the Pats lightly” Why is everyone taking them out of it w/Brady gone? JETS do have a better chance but they GOTTA play like he’s still there. As much as i hate it, its still a great team w/out him. Just seems alot of people are putting JETS 1st already. CAREFUL

35. By Frank on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Great bulletin board material by Fred Smerlas calling the Jets “a fraud” and that Trent Edwards is better than Favre and the Jets won’t compete for the division this year. This guy is a Boston native and a Patriots blow hard if I were Mangini I’d pin the article up in the lockeroom and hand it out for pre game study.

36. By Ira on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

The last 5 games J-Co has avg 6 catches for 96 yds per game. Belichick still hasn’t found a way to stop him yet. I expect J-Co to continue his success vs the Pats and have another big game tomorrow. But the Jets must establish the run 1st. This is going to be a great game.

37. By Reginald on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Hi Greg, great article! Along with most Jets fans, I think that Brady going down is a real blessing in disguise for us. We have a great shot at winning the division now. I’ve also gotta say that you and Gastineau are my all-time favorite Jets. I grew up a huge Jets fan in the 70’s, and 80’s. GO JETS!!

38. By BIG AL on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

i gotta tell you guys what a tough 2 weeks for brett favre 1st he faces the 1-15 dolphins of last year and with the addition of chad pennington we barley got that one now he faces the 16-0 3x superbowl champs and now against a QB whos last start was high school this is simply an unbelievable debut for farve i hope the JETS can get out with the win other wise what a story it will make for the press

39. By Charles F on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Greg you the man you speak for the people. I could care less about poor Brady being hurt. I could care even less what Pat fans think on the matter. I find it funny how Pat fans are always posting in a Jet forum. Get a life losers and go cry in the corner with your QB and SB loss. We will not show no mercy this week and we are going to embarrass you all day long. Bernard Pollard>Tom Brady. LOL

40. By Drew on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Hey Frank…The Smerlas story is so absurd it’s funny. He mentions how the Jets struggle to beat the Phins but then says how great Parcells is and how the Dolphins will be much better than last yr. He also forgot to mention that the Pats BARELY beat a horrible Chief team at HOME last week. A game where Cassell played well. The Jet haters are out…They will get their mouth shut tomorrow!!

41. By draz67 on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Amen Brother, The Jets are back, just the old days .. Buttle, Mehl, Blinka most feared LB’s in 80-81. Most feared in the NFL this year will be Harris, Barton, Pace. You need to know where you have been to understand what the future holds. If Todd was God then Favre is the savior. Keep spreading the Jets love, God Bless

42. By kixworld on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

does anyone hear clippers in the distant greig vg having the most sacks you got to be losing your mind..

43. By TonyR on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

When Brady got hurt I had mixed emotions. The Pats, their coach, and fans have zero class and they would welcome anything that gives them a competitive advantage, including injuries, but I still wish Tom Brady the best of luck and a speedy recovery. I would hate to see a day when there is no honor left in this game.

44. By Ken on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

GREG BUTTLE please answer this. I have to admit GREG when you 1st became an analyst for the JETS I didn’t like you. I thought you were just a YES man for the JETS. But I have changed my opinion about you GREG. GREG you & RAY LUCUS your buddy don’t SUGAR coat stuff! You call it like it is! If the players are playing bad you say they are playing bad. GREG, Jets fans don’t feel sorry for BRADY!

45. By Ken on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Mark my word guys. Belichick & the PATS are going to come out with MATT CASSEL in a NO HUDDLE, shot gun offense. I had a dream about that. You know how Belichick always does the OPPOSITE of what you expect him to do. I said here 1st. Belichick will just do the OPPOSITE of what everybody expects. Belichick will have MATT CASSEL in a NO HUDDLE, shot gun offense during the game. JETS get ready!

46. By Frank on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Drew I hope your right but like I said earlier in the week in some way this game is going to be harder than if Brady was playing. You have an unknown in Cassell and you have a team that is a cornered tiger. They know their job has gotten significantly harder with Brady gone and I think will be tough to beat. This is a statement game Mangini and staff are on the spot and must produce tommorrow.

47. By Moshe on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

For everyone that thinks this game will come easy for the Jets, you are wrong. Thier gonna win, but it won’t be easy.

48. By Big A on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Great stat on J-Co against the Pats, Ira, but why wait for the running game? Let’s just start with another 50+ yd TD toss. I think the Jets win 24-13. Go Jets!!!

49. By Ray on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

Guys, I know this game is HUGE, but the season isn’t on the line here. The Pats have a veteran team with a winning mentality. That has a hangover effect that can carry them for a while. They are going to be out to prove they are more than the Brady Patriots. We on the other hand still don’t really know who we are as a team. The Jets could easily lose this game, but that doesn’t mean we’ve …

50. By Ray on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

….lost the season. It’s not how you start the season, it’s how you end it, just ask the Giants. We just need to be at no worse than .500 going into the bye week. And if we continue to improve and jell, hopefully at some point around then we all get on the same page and get on a roll for the last half of the season. It’s week two not week sixteen. ENJOY THE RIDE!!! Go Jets! Splat the Pats!!

51. By Ira on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

Frank, I agree with some of your thoughts about it being harder without Brady. But they are still loaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball. Another factor it looks like Cassel is a lot more mobile then Brady. Bring it on and GO JETS!!!!

52. By MikeMc on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

GOOD STUFF Frank&Drew, anyone think the pats may try to level the field Buddy Ryan BOUNTY STYLE?? misery loves company, Watch out favre.

53. By Alan on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

Ive been watching espn and nfl network and all them saying the jets could barely beat the dolphins, well ill say why, WE LOST A KICKER IN THE 1ST Q, they were playing in 100 degree weather with 30 lbs of pads on to add to it, they still had feelings for chad, and when they went to tackle him didnt even try,

54. By Rick Roucoulet on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

Boy! did anyone watch the latest 1st & GOAL w/Mike Tannenbaum??? Man does he work for the Pats now? I know what it was about but seemed like he talked the whole time about & how awesome the Pats are- I wanted to hear about the JETS not Pats – Its the other team Mike

55. By ddh on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

second meeting last year we played NE well, and we had some serious issues to overcome, at the very least we come into this game as equals not in stats but deffinitly in talent and in over all team balance. for me the talk afterwards will be coaching, whose game plan won the day, and after all, last years 16-0 was in a very weak div, not to say they didnt earn it though, and by a team

56. By ddh on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

that statically shouldn’t have. I thought the Jets stacked up well against the pats even with brady playing, and felt they realistically could have split this season, win or lose, we need a good showing, with at least something to build on, SD is……. next week !

57. By Xavion on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

I don’t appreciate everyone minimizing the loss of Brady speaking of the talent they have.. they havent only lost Tom Brady the lost samuel they lost Gay they lost Seau, no Stallworth They lost their leader. Everyone brags about Moss What did he do 2 years in Oak? Hes the only deep threat wit stall gone the LBs are older We use speed to our Advantage and keep pressure we can take this game

58. By Xavion on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

Hey randy off subject but when is curtis eligable for The Hall of Fame His last game was in 05 is it 5 years from then or 5 years from the date he filed his papers to retire?

59. By rusty sanchez on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

if we can get to cassel a couple times early and put him on his back i think that will mess up his whole flow and make him timid.we also need a big game from revis on moss cause it seems like cassel is gonna zero in on moss a little tooo much

60. By matcassfan on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

i hope the pats do good this year just to show how overrated tom brady is and how much he is a product of his o-line that gives more time than any qb in the league to throw the ball.go cassell!!!!

61. By Greg Buttle on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

Xavion, I’ll have to check but I believe it’s five years from his last season in uniform, not five years from when he formally filed for retirement.

62. By Ray on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

matcassfan, Brady may be overrated because of the system and the players around him don’t get enough credit. But I don’t think your o line is nearly as good as you think. The Giants and Cowboys were both all over him as were a couple other teams. Your team is out to show they have enough all around talent to carry them. We find out today.

63. By Row on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

Well Randy, at least you got to see what I was talking about…

64. By NewEnglander on Sep 14, 2008 | Reply

Hate to tell you, but “the winds of change” you were hearing were just the Jets blowing another game to the Pats. Nothing has changed for the Jets–except that the Bills will probably finish ahead of the Jets by more games than they did last year–and Miami might even catch you.

65. By Ken on Sep 15, 2008 | Reply

Hey GREG, what happened to the WIND? From where I’m standing Greg, the WIND doesn’t smell so good. The WIND stinks!

66. By mike ex jet fan on Sep 15, 2008 | Reply

to woody have 2 g8 ideas 1st why don’t u take the 40million u gave the players & what ever the coaches earn — split it with all the loyal fans for —- 40years of pain & suffering then I will respect the jet org once again 2th if we r going to lose tell our coaches sent the house throw the ball down the field & lose like men not sheep

67. By mike ex jet fan on Sep 17, 2008 | Reply

yay mangini just solve all our problems—— Some1 had 2 take the heat off of him– granted ben stunk up the field– but dollars 2 donuts the game plan stay the same — hope u watched the cowboys eagles game last night so u can see how a game is coached

68. By Bill Peters on Nov 9, 2008 | Reply

Dear Greg, I hope you read this even though your article was several weeks ago. I’ll start off saying that I used to work for you in Buttles in East Meadow, I also had a limo business called Respect Limo, you had used it several times. I started with all this info so hopefully you may remember me.

69. By Bill Peters on Nov 9, 2008 | Reply

On November 6, 2008 I saw Joe Klecko in Manhatten on 38th Street, I recognized him and of course would not pass the chance of shaking his hand. I have been trying to find a way to reach him via internet and was wondering if you could help you could send me a private email, please or even have Joe contact me directly. He is sure to remember me from the handshake I reminded him that I worked for you

70. By mrhs on Dec 30, 2008 | Reply

i go to ur old high school. we just won states in football 12-0. 1 of the best teams to ever play south jersey football. u should come back to mainland and vist. thanx.

71. By doug mcadams on Jul 24, 2009 | Reply

greg, i worked at your restaurant during the 80’s as a waiter and barback. it was a great experiance and have relationships with many of the other employees as well as john,rene and lou schwarts.meeting many athletes and celebrities was awesome as kid from long island.i live in p.a. now and love the jets and all those memories…thanks for all those nights and let’s go j-e-t-s,jetsjetsjets 4 ever!

72. By richard campo on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

what is the real reason to release faneca and why did they want to break up a really good line that he helped teach the young guys . do u think that this move hurts them thanks

73. By frank m on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Greg: it is time someone speaks up for average jet fan who is rapidly becoming a creature of the past: being unable to afford to attend games thanks to greedy owners and high priced wining players.
    1)Most of the jet fans who sat near our seats (since 1968) did not buy tickets because of ticket price and seat premiums. Congrats to the owners for moving them out.
    2) The few true fans lucky enough to get one of the few seats without the premium are still treated like second class fans, not only having to pay for parking like everyone else and now are not allowed to park in the majority of the stadium lots,and forced to park in the farthest and most congested lots.
    This is my last year. Watch how many of the premium seat holders go to the cold and rainy games, that the average fan would attend. Very sad.