• Tue., Sep. 16, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 5:20 PM - 5:35 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conferences: Coordinators Dennis Thurman, Marty Mornhinweg and Thomas McGaughey will address the media following practice.

Jets Hold First Practice in New Fieldhouse

Posted by Randy Lange on September 26, 2008 – 11:02 am

The big news for today’s soggy day in Florham town is that head coach Eric Mangini and the Jets are going to take their new fieldhouse out for a spin.

Andy why not? I’m looking out on the outdoor turf field at the Atlantic Health Training Center and the steady rain is punctuating the standing water along the near hashmarks and on the far sideline and has put the area beyond the west end zone under a thin sheet of moisture.

Normally, this kind of day wouldn’t have deterred Mangini from taking his team outdoors at Hofstra. But considering that he’s got a starting QB and starting NT who don’t need slippery footing to help along their injuries, it’s time to hold the first practice indoors at the team’s new facility.

"We’re inside the fieldhouse," the coach announced to reporters at this morning’s news conference. "We used to say the bubble {at Hofstra] but it’s a little bigger than the bubble."

I’ll get you some reaction late in a followup blog late this afternoon from the players this afternoon on their first experiences under the 100-yard-long, 100-foot-high structure.

On those injured players, the I-report won’t be out until 4 this afternoon, but Mangini said again that he expects both Brett Favre and Kris Jenkins to be ready to go for Arizona at the Meadowlands on Sunday. And he had a semi-optimistic take on the status of the foot injury that has kept CB/KR Justin Miller sidelined so far this season.

"Justin’s good. He’s moving along," Mangini said. "Anytime with injuries, time definitely is a huge factor. It’s just difficult in the course of the season. You just can’t get off it and still be able to get prepared for a game. He’s working at it in the treatment room and out on the field. He’s like the rest of the group — we’ll evaluate him on gameday."

One practice point that the coach mentioned today was that the Cardinals won’t have the only defense on the East Rutherford pitch on Sunday that will be flying to the pigskin.

"I thought yesterday was another good day of practice," he said. "I’m pleased with the defense’s pursuit to the ball. It’s something we emphasize and something they’ve been doing a good job with. It’s another way to improve conditioning, getting 11 hats on the ball. A lot of plays open up when you’re chasing the ball. Opportunities happen."

Titan-ic Day

A reminder that the Jets will be wearing their Titans throwback uniforms for Sunday’s game. "It’s always fun to recognize the history of the organization," Mangini said.

This will be the third time the Jets will be wearing their navy and gold and the first time this season. Last year they lost to the Eagles at home, 16-9, then donned them again for the 40-13 December road defeat of the Dolphins. The Jets are also set to wear the throwbacks for the next game, Oct. 12 vs. Cincinnati.

Drive Time

Eric Allen’s and my weekly game preview radio show, "Jets Two-Minute Drive," will be available on newyorkjets.com today at 3 p.m. Our guest this week is Brian Baldinger, who will be analyzing the game for FOX. Baldinger, a New Yorker and Jets fan in his youth, has worked one other Green & White game — the 2003 meeting with Big Blue, won by the Giants, 31-28, in overtime. He has some great memories of that game that you can hear on our site beginning this afternoon.

Favre the Prophetic?

In the first minute of Monday’s telecast from San Diego, the ESPN crew was setting the over-under on how many passes Brett Favre was going to throw against the Chargers. The number in the booth was about 48 passes. Then Ron Jaworski reported that Favre "said he wanted 30 completions when I spoke to him yesterday." Favre, of course, finished 30-for-42.

Tags: , , , ,

29 Responses to “Jets Hold First Practice in New Fieldhouse”

1. By Tom on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Randy, When is David Clowney coming back?

2. By Anthony on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Favre is the man. I have always been a jet fan but I have always been Favre fan. Anyway I anticipate our defense alot during the games. I look forward to seeing what is being done. Revis is a great player and I think that will eventually pass onto Lowery with some of the things that Revis does. And Calvin Pace…this guy was a great pickup …He cause havoc for a qb..

3. By Artizzle on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

1st, I think we don’t need to explain what Brett has done as a quarterback in the NFL…it is all self-explanatory (pretty awesome actually!). What I do appreciate is Brett’s restraint. I mean, his willingness to learn the new offensive system without going into full-gunslinging mode shows his professionalism towards the team and especially Mangini. His lack of defiance should be merited.

4. By Randy Lange on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Tom, no timetable for David yet. He’s listed as out for Sunday’s game.

5. By CCY on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Randy, are the Jets still carrying two punters?

6. By mike ex jet fan on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Ray being our expectations were to high this year !!! …… Let me know in which year I should expect my expectations …I know what your saying ‘ aren’t u tried of rebuilding year after year.. thinking woody & company thought so & is why they when out & spent 142 million 12 million on favre added callahan to win this year? but then again what do i know u guys have all the brains in this outfit

7. By Christopher on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Great, we get so see those horrible throwbacks for the next 2 games. I would expect Pace will be fired up for this game, hopefully it will rub off on the rest of the players. Can we get some home field advantage going this weekend? Against NE, once they took the lead the crowd died, that only made it that much easier on their QB, make some noise. Every D play it should be loud, pump up the D.

8. By Leonard on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Bring back the SACK EXCHANGE! What coach Mangini needs to do is bring in Joe Klecko and Mark Gastineau to give this defensive line a serious pep talk/speech and get them inspired and fired up. If not the SACK EXCHANGE, I feel like the Jets should bring in some other all-time Jets greats to get this young team inspired and back on the winning path.

9. By Ed The Jet on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Yea Clowney is key for us to spread the field. what time frame has been given?

10. By Randy Lange on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Yes, CCY, they are.

11. By Randy Lange on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

No timeframe has been given for David Clowney’s return. With the bye week coming up, the next update on him will probably be the week of the Cincinnati game.

12. By irish jet on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

what section in the parking lot has the best tail gate??

13. By uncle joe on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Ill say it again,I dont care if Farve throws 3 more INTs.Just play with reckless abandon like the end of last week.Marino used to throw INTs and come right back and keep throwing.The difference between Farve and Chad is last week when the D new we were throwing we still completed passes,when Chad HAS to THROW its OVER!Play Elam PLEASE!

14. By Moshe on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Same thoughts on those horrible costumes as you, Chistopher. I don’t feel like I’m watching the Jets when I see them in those things. BTW Randy and everybody else: Do you think Vernon Gholston is not getting enough chances at rushing the passer? He only has one tackle in three games.

15. By Ramon on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Am I missing something with regard to these horrible throwback uniforms? Does the league mandate that teams wear these every season? Why do the Jets keep wearing them? I could see once, maybe twice to acknowledge their history, but year after year? What’s the story Randy?

16. By Randy Lange on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Moshe, I can only tell you that Vernon Gholston was on the field for the third play of the Chargers game (Barrett’s INT) and a bunch more and has been a regular in the sub defense. Whether he’s getting enough chances or not is up to you all to discuss.

17. By Randy Lange on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Ramon, NFL teams are allowed to wear throwback uniforms if they desire. By the end of this season the Jets will have worn their Titans uniforms four times in two seasons. For 2009 and beyond, I can’t say.

18. By Nic on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Hey Randy, I have nothing against the Titans throwbacks but what do you think about bringing back the 80’s unis for a throwback? Those are my favorite Jets uniforms. And I agree with Lenard about bringing in Mark and Joe to kick these guys butts! In all seriousness I do think the Jets do need some inspiration from former Jets Legends.

19. By Row on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I would really like to see Miller dress, Eric says we will evaluate him on gameday. IMO that means he will not be in the gameplan or on the field. I don’t understand Mangini, he has no touch with the fans. He is a lawyer at a press conference. It’s just hard for me to relate to the guy. All I know is, I’m ready for us to dominate Arizona on Sunday.

20. By Randy Lange on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Nic, I have no problem with it, but I don’t make that decision.

21. By Mark Davies on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Love the throwback uniforms, nice design better than an alternate black unfirom

22. By njphones on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I only hope that Jenkins is ready to go on Sunday-he is the best thing to happen to the Jets defense in a long time.

23. By Ray on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

mike ex jet fan, I’m not going to tell you what to expect. I am just saying that you guys didn’t just up the bar from last season, you couldn’t put it any higher. These guys aren’t robots, they are human, you can spend all the money you want, that doesn’t guarantee they will perform. If it that worked the Yankees would be World Champs every year. BTW I have never questioned your intelligence.

24. By jet80 on Sep 27, 2008 | Reply

Row i for sure agree if the fans cant relate to Eric how can the team just like if he shows no emotion neither will they if hes not going to be aggressive why should they,all these years of losing is because they simply werent good enough,now they are but they dont have the push or heart to play the game i have’nt blamed coachin yet but thats all thats left.Lowery is still the guy not justin

25. By ddh on Sep 27, 2008 | Reply

while I have vented on poor game planning/play calling, in hind sight the previous three games falls mainly on poor execution by the players, I was glad to see penalties not be an issue in SD, Im looking forward to a game where we’re not playing catch up, can dictate the flow of the game, with more control on field position. Execution must come first, Go Jets!!!

26. By John B on Sep 27, 2008 | Reply

Lose the throw back uniforms…..they are ugly…the fan want to see the team in green and white

27. By mike ex jet fan on Sep 27, 2008 | Reply

Ray .. Again sorry buddy have to disagree … on your analigy about the yankees .. think they have 26 pennets many world series & in the playoffs countless times… U were saying ! GO ahead say it u know .. I except

28. By Larry on Sep 27, 2008 | Reply

ddh. Youre absolutely right. But who does the poor execution fall back on. The Coaches. If guys arent executing and dont know what is expected its because its not being drilled home to them. That combined with alack of fire and emotion good and bad from the sidelines makes for an ill equiped boring team. I’d almost give my Superbowl III team plaque to have Parcells back.

29. By Ray on Sep 28, 2008 | Reply

mike ex jet fan, you again don’t get it, I said the Yankees would win it EVERY year if money=performance. Yankees $200+ million payroll the last 5 years. How many Championships? And uh, sorry pal but you can’t count the Championships that were pre free agency. So count up the money George paid since ’73, if payroll=performance they should have a few more titles. Thus endeth the lesson.