• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 5:45 PM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Tim Graham from the Buffalo News to discuss the Week 12 matchup vs the Bills. JTL kicks off at 5:30 p.m. from Detroit at Ford Field.
  • Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

STEVE-O: One of This QB’s Best Qualities

Posted by jetsstaff on September 26, 2008 – 8:21 am

Brett Favre never ceases to amaze me.

I mean, coming in, some thought he was a former MVP at the end of his career, but his heart and competitiveness are shining through as his best attributes. Here’s a guy who has proven to earn the respect of his teammates through his dedication to learning the playbook, knowing all that’s required of him while trying to get back into shape.

This past Monday in San Diego, he hurt his ankle trying to lead the team back from a big deficit. As recently as Wednesday he was still noticeably limping. But by Thursday the limp was nearly gone. At this rate the pep will be back in his step by Sunday.

We’d probably give a 38-year-old QB a pass if he wanted to take his recovery a little slow, but that doesn’t seem to be Favre’s way. Some will say, "That’s just because he has a high tolerance level for pain." But I imagine a rolled ankle on him hurts as bad as it does me, and it’s pretty painful. I know I sure wasn’t up and running around in a matter of days.

You know he’s been given credit for all of his on-field accolades, but I think his best attribute is his competitiveness. He’s proving that the desire to win can outweigh the pain and the hatred for studying, and can sometimes even push away Father Time.

All the while you never got the sense he even imagined he wouldn’t play on Sunday. He’s been through bumps and bruises before and knows how to heal them and get back on the field. This is why the Jets got Favre. He can get dinged up and still play through the pain and that characteristic can lead a team. This is why I now have a new found respect for his games-started streak. The fans in Green Bay know all of this already as he played 253 straight games for them through the worst conditions — a thumb injury and countless nights in the ice tub.

Jets fans have only had a glimpse of what has turned out to be a true tough quarterback. I know past QBs have been tough and played through pain and so on, but they’ve also missed games. Favre hasn’t. He admitted this week he would never play if he felt he was hurting his team and has pulled himself before. Last year, against Dallas in December, he got hurt in a loss and pulled himself from the game. He came back the next week and threw for 266 yards and two TDs in a 38-7 win over Oakland.

This is an important time for the Jets. After losing two straight, they’re in a position where they need a victory to feel like they’re moving in the right direction. Right now they’re in a state of flux, not sure if they will fall prey to the pitfalls that trip up the teams that fail or will show the heart to overcome the adversity and self-inflicted wounds to become stronger.

I know Jets fans want this team to bring it all together for a game to prove they are more than just a team of potential. If they follow the lead of a man who’s been there, the turnaround can begin with the Cardinals.

Tags: ,
Posted in Steve Overmyer | 37 Comments »

37 Responses to “STEVE-O: One of This QB’s Best Qualities”

1. By BIG AL on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

well written Steve-o could not agree more i speak for myself when i say it pains me to see such a talented bunch of players look so lost and i debate with my friends who some like others hate (the jets) and it gets hard to defend there motion when they dont win the games they need to and not just this season but so many its been years since i could sit and enjoy a winning seson 06 last good run

2. By BIG AL on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

but your right they are headed in the right direction i just hope its not 4 games to late because arizona is no sure win warner is going to test our defense for sure i wonder if our offense steps up again 2days till sunday so lets see if they can rally themselves to a sunday victory because they really need this one

3. By Drew on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Not really following this story Stevie. Great….Favre plays hurt. What we need is for him to start making the plays we got him for and LEAD this team to wins. We released a guy in Chad who was as competitive and played just as hurt as Favre ever did. We dont need Favre to compete. We need Favre to use his best quality HIS TALENT and win games. Get the offense rolling and win Sunday!!

4. By Mike on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I have no doubt this Jets team can and will turn it around. Look at the upcoming games. If they can get by this pesky Cards squad then it is three against the worst in the league. We can get healthy and open up the play book and try some different things. I am thinking the Jets win the next four.

5. By ddh on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Bretts leadership role needs to be focused on not just the w/l column, had he gone to NE then maybe more so on performance. Its great to see individuals rise to the top, but the Jets as a whole need to raise that bar, every week its something new, a lighter sched should help them to absorb and put into practice what they’ve encountered thus far.

6. By Anthony on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I agree with this Steve, I got to say I really feel if all of the Jets just step up this can be turned around. I also am tired of being abused because its hard to defend my team when they seem to lose games they should win. I think they need to just tough it up…Just like the “God Favre” play through it. and do whatever is necessary to win.

7. By irish jet on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

ok off the subject, i am a die hard green and white fan living in south florida and coming up for the game this weekend. where is the best tail gate at,where you just pay someone to eat, and drink up. what lot is it located in? thank you,kill the cards!!!!

8. By Bry on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I gotta say, I love the Favre sentiments. But, looking at the game on Monday night, we need Kris Jenkins to act the same way as Favre. San Diego wasn’t running well when he was in there. After he left the game they started moving the ball on the ground. The defense needs that big nose tackle to take up two O-linemen.

9. By CFU on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I’m not worried Jets will rebound and beat a good Cards team. I have faith in Favre and the Jets. Can’t believe some of you have the nerve to call yourself fans. You guys give up so fast on your team I understand your angry , me 2. Still early in season and team is trying to find identity and chemistry. Now if the record was 3-6 I would start to worry. We will win Sunday you can quote me on that

10. By Gil on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I am a new at this but I feel what you guys are saying I’ve been following the Jets since the diaper days and I feel that we could always win but we need to live up to the potential, so when we got good ol’ number 4 I was happy we need to get in the groove, start the run/pass and get the defense off the field on a high note and he will lead us to the promise land.

11. By mike ex jet fan on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Steve-O I agree whole heartedly ….Favre has the heart of a lion .. Any 1 who questions his heart hes 2 old didn’t learn the offence bull!!! These pros best get on the same page as him. kills me 2 see him on that podium making excuses for his teamates ……… With all the crap this team has put us through all these years . it will be a total disgrace 2 let this proud man go out a loser STEPUP

12. By Steve Overmyer on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Drew, I think you’re right. I think Favre’s talent is what will drive this team. But his ability to stay healthy keeps that talent on the field. I know there’s no question who gives them the best chance to win and for the success to come … he has to stay healthy. I know Jets fans can sleep at night knowing their best QB will be there the whole year.

13. By BIG AL on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

goes back to what i said earlier everyones angrY if we beat the cards after the by upto the rematch w/NE we can be 6-3 if we win sun or 5-4 i dont see us beating BUFF 2x or losing to NE2x we could be allright but beating weaker teams proves nothing we need to win the games that matter TENN/DEN/NE/BILLS etc. that will keep us around if we make the wild card

14. By Howard on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

brett just has to make the plays that are there not force anything except on 4th down,and i know he knows how to throw a ball away on the goal line if in trouble,just hit the open reciever

15. By scjoe on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I am as much a Favre fan as anyone, but lets be honest, it is mostly for what he “has” accomplished in his fifteen plus years in the league. He is 38 and his best years are behind him. The one knock on Farve has always been the INTs. We have seen that the past two weeks, they were as responsible for the two losses as anything else, the question is, does it get better any time soon?

16. By Row on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I don’t really get what we are supposed to learn from this article. I don’t think the games were lost because of “self-inflictive wounds.” We were outplayed for 4 quarters of football the last two games. It’s a fact. Everyone knows Favre has a streak, personally I think without Favre the Jets are still the Jets.

17. By Chris on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Give Farve a break, you bring the guy in on game 2 of the pre season and expect him to play flawless. It’s obvious he hasn’t adjusted yet (I don’t know many QB’s that would yet) hopefully he sticks around another season and shows us what he can do when he’s comfortable.

18. By Peggy on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

I consider myself a JetPack fan now that Brett is in NY. He is an amazing player and will always give you 110%. He’s trying hard to win games for his team and the fans as evidenced in the INT’s. His fear of expectations being too high if he played for a new team came true the minute he landed in NY. Combine that with other distractions surrounding the trade it’s a wonder he sleeps at night.

19. By Marcus Eytcheson on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

scjoe: You mentioned Favres Int’s being his knock? One of those Int’s hit our reciever in the hands before it was picked off. The other was obvious mis communication that will get ironed out throughout the season. I guess nobody noticed that he found a way to get the ball in the endzone 3 times. If he can do that every week the defense will come around and we will win more games.

20. By tokepa on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

The int’s definately hurt but the killer was the defense’s inability to stop the SD offense. And the 2 int’s can be argued that 1) maybe the SD defensive back wanted the balla little bit more than Coles and 2) it was a case of miscommunication between the QB and the reciever. It’ll get better, I hope.

21. By mark oconnell on Sep 26, 2008 | Reply

Brett favre is still one of the top qbs in the nfl.He played 3 games so relax just wait and see what he does this weekend and for the rest of the season. i cant believe poeple are saying hes not good and he isnt going to do anything please we had a chance to win that game against the chargers and it would be nice if our deffense would stop sombody i know hes awesome but he cant play deffense to

22. By Dan on Sep 27, 2008 | Reply

Come on, you blame favre for the two games.Try the play calling. Especially the onside kick when down by 3.The 3 running plays the week before and missed field goal. That pretty much ended it. When favre gets behind by ten points or more he feels he has to carry the team. Plus some communication break downs.Do you people watch the game. After bye week you have 2 games you can win too.Not over yet!

23. By sharon starzyk on Sep 27, 2008 | Reply

Why is all the flak falling on Favre? I saw determination from this guy to help pull a win out on Monday. I see that the defense fell apart by letting the Chargers get all those points. I also see the offense not allowing Favre to have the time to find the open guy. Look at the touchdown that he threw in the end zone; he was able to hold it long enough to find the open man. Enough!!

24. By Drew on Sep 27, 2008 | Reply

How great was that! Stevie O responded to my post!! I think this might be a Radar 1st..guest writer responds to a ridiculous Jet fan like to myself to defend his comments. Great job Steve, glad to see you check in on us from time to time. Jet fans like myself appreiciate all of the work Randy, his staff and the guests provide. Keep up the great work. Happy you’re on our team

25. By Linda L on Sep 28, 2008 | Reply

Ihave loved watching Brett since his first play for my beloved Packers. Now it’s not the same in Titletown. Our hero is gone. You better appreciate him,you don’t know how lucky you are. He is the MAN the only Man. There will never be another like him in my lifetime. God Bless Brett Farve!!

26. By Kathy on Sep 28, 2008 | Reply

You are so lucky to have him. I have been a Packer fan for 40 years but I root for the Jets now.

27. By Donna on Sep 28, 2008 | Reply

After watching Favre here in WI for the previous 16 years, I knew not to count him out by last week’s game. I know he has heart for the game and fellow team members so my heart is singing after today’s performance! The Jets deserved this. Brett is a great QB and team player!!!!! Our Green Bay P.’s are now 2-2 also. Go Jets GOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :-)))))))))))))))))

28. By beckie4brett on Sep 28, 2008 | Reply

I knew Brett would play sunday, I have watched him for 16 years there wasnt ever a doubt in my mind! You are sooo lucky Jets, enjoy your season with him, he is a leader and so fun to watch! GO BRETT!

29. By Adam on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

As hard as it was to watch Packer management stupidly trade Brett away, I am glad more people can come to appreciate him not only for his amazing talent, but for his character in that he is out there every wknd due to his love of the game and his desire to win games. He is 38 years old but put him out on the field and he’s 18 again. That simple joy of playing can’t be found in many other QB’s.

30. By Adam on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

Great article and way to have written this BEFORE the awesome game yesterday. Brett’s character is what sets him apart from all the other great QB’s, something most sports experts who focus solely on stats don’t get. He is out there every weekend no matter what hurts because his love of playing is so high and all he wants to do is play and win games. He is 38yrs old but come Sunday he is 18.

31. By Adam on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

And as said as it has been to see Packer management trade him away, I am glad we are still being blessed with the opportunity to watch him play his crazy football. He is not only a classy guy with the media (after wins and losses) but he is such a classic player, and I hope you Jets fans can truly appreciate him. He is one of a kind not just for his on-field talent, but also his character.

32. By Adam on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

It sure looked like a lot of empty seats in the stadium on Sun. I hope Jets fans realize quickly the once in a lifetime chance they have of watching Brett play and get to all the home games they can. Players like him don’t come around often, so we should all appreciate him while he’s here. I wish he was still in GB, but getting to see him play anywhere is better than not at all-he’s that special

33. By Bambi on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

Congratulations, Brett!!! I never had any doubt because you are a great competitor with exceptional talent and even greater heart!! We miss you as a Packer and will always be Brett Farve fans!! The current Packer administration has made the worst decisions in team history and are starting to pay for it, it’s all starting to unravel. I hope Jets fans appreciate what they have aquired!!!

34. By always a fan on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

Great article. I enjoyed the comments before this last game & after. On the ones before Sunday, I can understand your doubt but Favre is truly one of a kind. He will go on showing you that for the rest of the season in many more ways than just throwing TD passes. You see a 38yr old playing football when most his age have retired, but his love of the game strips years off of that.

35. By Old Rogue on Sep 30, 2008 | Reply

I think Brett’s greatest quality is that he doesn’t yet know anything about “the same old Jets”. He doesn’t know the schedule, he doesn’t get all screwed up thinking, “what if”. He’s a (great) football player, and he knows he has some pretty good talent around him. He just wants to play. I think he is BETTER than advertised – he is utterly fantastic. Now I know why the Cheeseheads adore him.

36. By rmuni on Sep 30, 2008 | Reply

I was a packer fan but i am mostly a BRET FAVRE fan. I would cheer for him no matter where he played, simply because of all the wonderful & exciting games he has given me to watch. Six td’s didn’t really supprise me that much coming from Brett. Jet fans, enjoy him while you have him and i’ll be doing the same from Wisconsin. Everyone of his games on tv i’ll be watching.

37. By Glen on Nov 10, 2008 | Reply

Favre is a natural leader. He brings out the best in those around him by encouraging them when they fail, slapping them on the back when they succeed, and never berating them for not performing. He makes practices bearable through levity while stressing excellence. With him here, there are many stars but one team, united in focus and in success. It’s going to be an exciting future.