Bullet Points: Concussions, Kickers, K.Rhodes

Posted by Randy Lange on October 23, 2008 – 2:07 pm

A familiar topic was revisited during head coach Eric Mangini’s news conference today.

Laveranues Coles was listed on Wednesday’s injury report as "limited" at practice with a "head" injury. Mangini was asked about if that meant Coles has a concussion.

"Yes, it’s a concussion," Mangini said. "I just listed it that way because I list all the body parts. Yes, that’s a concussion."

Safety Eric Smith, who had a concussion three weeks ago from the last minute of the Arizona game, is also listed with a "head," and that, too, is a concussion, the coach confirmed.

Coles returned to Sunday’s game at Oakland after leaving the field in the fourth quarter, while Smith did not after he left the game. Mangini said that those in-game decisions all begin with the Jets’ medical and training staffs and the system that’s in place to deal with one of football’s hazards.

"There’s in-game protocol and there’s prior-to-the-game protocol," he said. "That’s why we have the doctors and trainers on the sidelines. They make those decisions. Those aren’t coaching decisions. We won’t put anybody back in the game until they’re cleared medically to go back in the game."

Mangini was asked about his personal concerns for players such as Coles who have had prior concussions.

"I have a personal concern for all of our guys," he said. "That’s important to me and they’re important to me. Their safety is important to me. That’s going to be first and foremost. We’re going rely on the doctors to guide those decisions and not pressure anybody to do something that’s medically unsound. It’s not what I believe in; it’s not what we believe in. What we want is safety for our players and the best possible practices in place to ensure that."

Eric Allen caught up with Coles in the Jets’ locker room following the news conference and will have a story later this afternoon on LC.

Today was also a touchy-Feely day, as in kicker Jay Feely. Following up on Allen’s insightful Monday blog on Feely and his game-tying 52-yard field goal to send the Oakland game into overtime, Mangini was asked about the job his kicker has done in the five games since he took over for the injured Mike Nugent in Game 2 vs. New England.

"I think he’s done a good job replacing Mike," the coach said. "You don’t know how a guy’s going to do until you’re put in one those pressure situations. To hit the field goal he hit late in the game, that’s tough sledding. That was a pressure kick and it’s always good to see those.

"I think his kickoffs have all been pretty solid. His onside kicking ability, that’s pretty good. And he’s a pretty aggressive tackler — not that we want him to tackle, but that was, believe it or not, one of his strengths in college."

And following up on questions last week about safety Kerry Rhodes, who still doesn’t have an interception or a sack, the coach reminded that Rhodes is quarterbacking a secondary that includes a second-year man and a rookie (Darrelle Revis and Dwight Lowery) on the corners and several different safety partners.

"Interceptions are like grapes — they come in bunches," he said. "I know we talked about the concept of a slump in the past. Those numbers are irrelevant. They’re not going to change his contract status and what he does. What’s important is that we play good, sound defense. Whatever plays he makes, he makes.

"What you don’t ever want a player to do is search to make plays at the cost of the integrity of the defense. Kerry understands that when they come, they come."

The coach also had a great take on Thomas Jones’ contributions to the cause. I’ll have a story later on TJ, who also spoke with reporters in the locker room.

And More to Come

Our tributes to the Jets’ 1968 season and their Super Bowl III triumph continue. Later this afternoon, I’ll post one of the most memorable game blogs from that superb season, the Heidi game against the Raiders.

Allen and I had a great time reminiscing on this week’s "Jets Two-Minute Drive" radio show with John Dockery, the former defensive back and special-teamer in the Jets run to the Super Bowl and now an excellent analyst for Westwood One’s NFL radio broadcasts. That show should be available from the newyorkjets.com home page also this afternoon.

And EA’s feature on Joe Namath then and now will go live on our site at midnight tonight.

All this in addition to our coverage of the current Jets as they conclude their practice week Friday en route to their "next big game" Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Big 4-0

I don’t know how Bruce Speight, the Jets’ senior director of media relations, worked this one out, but in this season honoring the 40th anniversary of those Super Jets, Speight celebrated his 40th birthday today. As someone who passed the big 5-0 a half-decade ago, I can tell you, Bruce,  that it’s all downhill after today.

Tags: , , ,

24 Responses to “Bullet Points: Concussions, Kickers, K.Rhodes”

1. By mike ex jet fan on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

Hey THC Ray & un Joe finally showing some moxy… Guess I’II take the credit .. Not bad 4 some1 with no credibility.. No need to thank me watch that blood pressure

2. By Ira on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

Randy, Sounds like you and EA have a full plate of stuff coming up. The Namath interview will be a great listen. As for LC hope he will be ok and back in time for the Bills. But his health comes first. Feely has really done a good job and i would be surprised to see Nugent back this year. Big Game vs the Chiefs is an understatement. Their season is on the line and they will respond with a big win.

3. By Ray on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

go ahead mike ex, pat yourself on the back, whatever I did to make you feel good, your welcome. I’ll try not to let it happen again.

4. By sal on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

I cant believe after game one of the world series, on the back page of the Ny new papers is Favre near life size pic, this is how bad reporting has become, they talk about sports being waterd down, i think journalism has taken top honors, not talkin bout you Randy, always liked your work

5. By jet80 on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

Not likeing what i see here.Cotch and and Coles are hurt,Coles another “head” injury.Hes a gingerbread house thats been dropped and picked from for as long as can remember.Is Clowney comin in or what?im tired of Mangini sayin the will look at him and see where hes at hoopla.Henry should have got a call for our ps but we go with the TE that we dont need.hope they have a plan.(see week 1)

6. By Squirrel Master on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

Mangini is so good at dodging questions and providing no information that he should run for president. Unfortunately his monotone no emotion no commitment personality appears to have rubbed off on his team who has been given the chance of a lifetime to take the AFC East by storm, but just can’t seem to do it. But they always present well when asked about loses. Congrats Mangini for President

7. By Moshe on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

This is not the week to work on the passing game; running the ball should be priority. TJones had a great week last week, and he should be even better against a horrible Chiefs rushing D. You saw what Chris Johnson and Lendale White did to them last week. I say this week will star TJ as White and Leon as Johnson.Lets go Jets(pleasepleaseplease)!

8. By sal on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

I hope LC sits this week, after a couple of these things go downhill fast, remember Cherbet. I like Smith in the spot against KC, needed playin time anyway. LC is to valuable to this franchise or football in general

9. By Xavion on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

Sorry Guys I have been away for a few days but I also didnt want to comment right away on the loss. Now I bet more of you appreciate that Ugly win. This game belongs on the shoulders of the play callers and the oline and 2 plays on brett although that was an amzing block he threw to spring smith, Where was teh play action we were killing on the Ground Randy how many play actions were ran sunday?

10. By Xavion on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

The thing that upset me the most was a the rediculous safety Blitz in OT that allowed Zack miller to run free. Im glad they didnt just go prevent but at least if you call it teh safety should be on the line then Russell would not have had the time to find Miller. It was a bone head call and lost us the game. I want new coordinators next year… too much talent is not being utilized.

11. By Xavion on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

We moved up to get Keller but we arent taking advantage of teh amzing matchups. Shotty isnt creative at all. I mean steal from someone else if you need to We have everybit as much Talent as NO, No reason we should not have done the same things that NO did to them. OAk was even helping us with about 12 penalties. we should have been able to dominate thier Offense shoud have brought more pressure.

12. By Randy Lange on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

Xavion, I haven’t finished my video breakdown yet.

13. By sally on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

im nervous about sunday. we need to do big things. we have the talent come on now jets

14. By Jesse on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

I hope all of our players make it through and get back healthy!

15. By supercooljetfan on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

the jets are gonna kill kc and squeek one out in sf and when we all think things are going good and start talking playoffs buffalo is gonna make us look like a pop warner team and what makes this year bad is i actually thought we had more talent on this team in years past

16. By rusty sanchez on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

xavion i dont think there was one playacton called that whole game there was like 6 different plays where it would of worked perfect

17. By randy on Oct 23, 2008 | Reply

after mangini’s press conferences, do you guys feel like i do that it’s time to take a nap??? not for nothin, how do you fire up this team with such emotion before the game…no wonder they come out sluggish!!!!

18. By paul on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

Is it me or should i not be expecting more out of this team? I feel like i’m suffering here when i shouldn’t be! We have the players to beat the raiders easily. So why do we look so bad and lose?! I think i’m falling out of love w/Mangini and his staff. I can see no good reason for these results!

19. By mike ex jet fan on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

Like to see LC & J-CO sit this week & rest up.. Clowney– Brad Smith & stuckey play the whole game.. Lets get Keller to work with baker & bubba most of the game in rotation .. Get Chatman game ready it’s important 2 get these guy’s ready ..we’ll need them down the stretch with the tough games coming our way….If not Maybe better off with a crystal ball & rabbits foot

20. By uncle joe's WHY COME on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

Hey Randy,why come I can’t have my picture on my comments too!

21. By Anthony on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

I hope we get the “W” this weekend. I think this is a must win game as well as the Buffalo game. The jets should be playing these games like each one is there last. Get pumped and start whooping some a22. Like all Sunday’s I am anxiously waiting to see them Play. And if any Jets read this do what ever is necessary to win.

22. By Kevin from Mahwah on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

We will win against KC and then lose to the Bills. Thats what the NYJ do. Bring the fans hopes up just to rip them down. I am done with emotion with this team. The good moments fade fast and the bad ones happen often. I am not loosing my hair because of a gean passed from my mother it is the Jets!!!How can one organization be so bad? Did Joe sign a deal with the devil in 69 to win? They r SORRY!!!

23. By Doug on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

Hey Randy! What was Dan thinking breaking the coaches chops about the injury list. It’s pretty simple don’t you think!? If you say Pace has an ankle problem, the opposing team is going to either target his ankle during a block or run to his side and know he won’t have a lot of lateral movement. Tell Dan to shut his trap for me. We might be the only team that does it, but I think it’s smart.

24. By Daniel on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

Where is the beast in this team? Attitude comes from your leader…and Mangini’s attitude must stink. I respect his intelligence, but I question his leadership. Woody Johnson has invested alot more into this team than I expected, and I believe that he loves his team and I hope he is running out of patience. Cause Jets fans are. B Cox for Def Coordinator in 09! He can do it. He is a beast.