EA: Mixed Results, but Also Resilience

Posted by Eric Allen on October 27, 2008 – 5:56 pm

Seven games into the Jets’ season, you can either take the approach that the glass is half full or the glass is half empty.

With a come-from-behind 28-24 win over the Chiefs, the Jets moved to 4-3 and captured their third victory in four games. They also won their third consecutive home game, which is a first in the Mangini era. But the Green & White haven’t made things easy on themselves, compiling a minus-8 turnover margin in their last three outings.

“I’m very confident that we can get it corrected, and I’m very confident that we’re working towards that,” said head coach Eric Mangini at his news conference today. “It’s a function of us continuing to focus on that and carrying that focus into the game and consistently doing that throughout the course of the game.”

There were some who recklessly labeled the Jets flat yesterday against an inferior Chiefs team. You can throw that notion out the window because the Jets scored on their first possession, forced a three-and-out, then moved to the Chiefs’ 18 for a makeable field goal attempt.

“I thought worst-case scenario should have been 10‑0 to start the game,” Mangini said.

The offensive playcalling has come into question and people want to know what the Jets’ offensive identity is. Ironically, a week after some pundits thought the Jets should have unleashed Brett Favre in an extra session out in Oakland, Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer were criticized for their KC pass/run ratio of 41/24.

“I think our identity is being game‑plan-specific,” Mangini said.

The Jets, bolstered by Leon Washington’s career-long 60-yard TD run, averaged 5.6 yards a carry against the Chiefs defense. But they also had to change on the fly when TE Chris Baker unexpectedly went down with a hip injury before kickoff and Robert Turner, a guard, moved to tight end when the team went to blocking-TE and two-TE packages.

And the Jets liked their matchups with their receivers against some very green DBs. Favre, who mixed in three interceptions, completed 28 of 40 for 290 yards and two scores.

“We ran the ball and Leon had the long run there and there were some other good running throughout the course of the game,” said the third-year coach. “But they also had a very young secondary, were starting two rookie corners and two second‑year safeties, and had not gotten a lot of pressure on the quarterback.”

Despite fourth-quarter deficits the past two weeks, Favre moved the Jets into range for a game-tying field goal to force overtime in Oakland and then delivered a 15-yard winning fade to Laveranues Coles yesterday with just 1:00 remaining.

“I liked the resilience that we showed at the end of the game. There were a lot of things that could have put us a little further back than we would’ve liked, but that resilience we showed on the last drive was similar to the week before at the end of regulation. It’s good to be able to do that and trust those guys to be able to do that in those times.”

In his last three games, Favre has thrown three touchdown passes and has been intercepted seven times. He was also suffered a strip-sack against the Bengals that was returned for a touchdown. The Jets have picked up just one takeaway during that span.

“It’s something that we work on, it’s something that we try to do every week, and it’s a big thing for us,” said S Kerry Rhodes of takeaways. “We have been turnover-less for a couple games so we’ll try to step it up.”

That negative turnover margin doesn’t usually lead to wins, but there is still water definitely in the glass. You can view it any way you’d like, but the Jets are only a game behind the AFC East leaders and not in the deep water just yet.

J-Chat Injury Serious

It appears that Jesse Chatman’s season is over. Chatman, a veteran RB who was forced to miss the first four games of the season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, suffered a knee injury Sunday.

“I would say with Jesse it doesn’t look real good. This could be season‑ending,” Mangini said. “So we’ll confirm that probably today. I’d say he’s the one that looks the worst in this situation.”

But we’ll have to wait until Wednesday to find out more about ILB David Harris, TE Chris Baker and S Eric Smith. Harris did not play in the second half and was replaced in the base by David Bowens and Cody Spencer, while Abe Elam took over at safety for Smith. On Sunday, Mangini indicated the Jets had taken cautionary steps with Smith because he was returning from a concussion.

“Everybody else is in various stages and they are all getting different tests, whether it’s X‑rays, MRIs or just seeing the doctor,” he said today.

Buffalo Underdogs

For just the second time this season, the Jets will enter the weekend as an underdog. The Jets have been favored in every game they’ve played except the Monday night game with the Chargers.

Pick Flowers

On Brett Favre’s third and final interception, the future Hall of Famer was hoping to connect with Chansi Stuckey over the middle. Instead, rookie corner Brandon Flowers jumped the route and returned the interception to give the young Chiefs a surprising 24-21 fourth-quarter lead.

Stuckey, said Mangini, "should have kept going on that. Worst‑case scenario, if the guy does catch it, you have to be able to make the tackle. It’s a turnover but it’s not a turnover that results in a touchdown. He could do a lot better job on that play of finishing that route.”

Stuckey gave Flowers credit for making a good read and jumping the route.

“He recognized it a little bit, so he dropped inside and I tried to get inside of him, but he gave me a little bump that kind of got me off my route and then I kind of bumped into the safety,” said the second-year wideout. “He just kept running and the ball came right to him. He just made a play.”

Inside the Jets

Bobby “White Shoes” Wischusen will host another live installment of "Inside the Jets" tonight at Charlie Brown’s in Chatham, N.J. Leon Washington, who totaled a career-high 274 all-purpose yards, will be on hand alongside DE Kenyon Coleman. The Flight Crew will be represented by Michelle and Danielle K. If you can’t make it there between 7-8 p.m., tune your AM dial to ESPN 1050 for the broadcast.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 102 Comments »

102 Responses to “EA: Mixed Results, but Also Resilience”

1. By chekov on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

OFF cord. has a very poor game plan. I saw alot of mistakes in the game. I think the Off. Line coach needs a spanking also. farve is not getting any time to read the field. I have not seen him get hit like that since early in his gb career. why are the WR not running clean routes and finishing them. I think they are not physical enough. What do u think Randy?

2. By Eric Allen on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

I think you’ve got some definite opinions on what’s wrong, chekov.

3. By Drew on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

I am a half full fan when it comes to this team. Still not sure why though… This coach and his staff (one that I have defended heavily) have to do a better job. They are in a tough spot with Favre and his reckless plays at times but they knew this when they traded for him (which I loved) This Buffalo game is a true defining game. A win here changes everything a loss and its more of the same.

4. By mike ex jet fan on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Yawn snore zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz Oh!! excuse me was watching a mangini presser .. Here we go again… Finding all the reasons KC looked like AFC champs .. How bout this 1 .. His unimaginative game plans not knowing how 2 inspire his players 2 get up 4 every game,.. Never correctly preparing .. Made a team with maybe the most talent in the NFL… Look uninspired & boring at best did I miss anything

5. By walter on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Hey randy …well another close one for our jets huh? i cant say that the W is real satisfying after watching them almost blow another game with our QB throwing another 3 interceptions. What the hell is he thinking when hes passing off his back foot? I mean come on this is not the jets team that i expected this season by far.
    walter

6. By walter on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

I had another thought to add here.I really am getting tired of hearing mangini tell us what he liked about what they did and what they work on every practice.How about what kind of pain he is going stoe upon them if they dont improve.i for one am a very frustrated jets fan at the moment.I do however agree that i will be more impressed with a win over buffalo.
    walter

7. By mike ex jet fan on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Here’s a thought … With all the success every team we play are completing passes all over field .. Even when we have 3 up front & 8 in coverage .. & can’t stop any1 that way . HUMMMMM I have an idea HOW WE GO 8 IN THE BOX 3 INCOVERAGE .. Can’t get any worst & I’m sure it will break any teams rhythm Give us more 3 & outs .. Guess what that equals more possessions for the good guys… A thought

8. By pedro on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

“puerto rock” from peekskill ,die hard jet fan! I did’ent like when the fan’s bood the Britt , it’s not his falt when the line can’t pass protect like last year , somthing not wright .The Britt needs more time in the pocket & he will roc-it.

9. By CD on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Randy, What does Mangini mean by “game-plan-specific” identity? Is he saying that for each opponent they have a specific plan to win? Maybe it would be wise to have alternative plans just in case the one implemented is not working. This comment says to me that Farve is not being allowed to call or change plays on the fly which he excells at. Farve appears to be restricted. Then throws int…

10. By Kevin on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

I think the o-line does a good job blocking for the run, but their pass blocking leaves something to be desired! Also, the receivers definately need to finish routes, because you never know where Brett will put the ball when he is under pressure, and he has been under pressure A LOT in the past 2 games.

11. By Rhandy on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

I believe the jets coaching were approaching the game differently than it should have. They threw 40 times to a team that was dead last in run defense. Washington and Jones did not run for more than 20 times which i believe was quite stupid. What is your comment on this Randy?

12. By mike ex jet fan on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Unreal… If i hear that we play down top our competition1 more time I’m going to puke .There a jets almanac out there I never heard of .. Ever think it’s the other way around ..? We had 5 players go down in 2 weeks for 1 reason or another .. G8 so now we can add condishing to our woes

13. By Ira on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Eric, You know i am a glass half full guy but they are making it very hard to feel that way. Like you said they have won 3 out of their last 4 games even though they keep on turning over the ball. Hope Smith gets better but Elam should have been the starter since the 1st game. Drew, The staff will clamp down on Favre this week and i think he will be more careful with his throws.

14. By Ira on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Drew. And you right about the Bills game. This will either kick start their season or just set them back. The talent is there its up to the coaches to bring out the most of what they have, use it the right way and most of all the players need to make plays. GO JETS!!!!

15. By Don on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

I like the jets so far. our D has look good i like pace, and thomas on the outside. Jenkins and Ellis are Great. Revis and lowery aregreat corners. Our run game looks good, need to give leon more touches though, Favre has to be more concevative and look for the first down rather than chuckin it up. Randy Where is Vernon? the JEts need to give him some game time. Our first rounder needs game time

16. By c on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

i dont know about you Randy but i think the jets only play on the level of their opponent level instead of playing with heart all the time. Like instead of obliterating bad teams, they play on the bad teams level. The only players i see with heart all the time are leon washington, kerry rhodes, sometimes stuckley and sometimes keller. Please figure out what your doing wrong and work harder.

17. By Eric Allen on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

My comment is that there is something unusual about the spelling of your screen name, but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

18. By Joe Willie on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Mangini uses 8th grade reverse psychology for his game plans. They can’t stop the run?, we’ll pass: they’ll never expect it. Problem is, he does exactly the same thing every week, rendering his supposed unpredictability into quite the opposite. He got the idea from Belechek, but executes it so clumsily that the other teams can see it coming miles away. If you and I can see it, other coaches can.

19. By sal on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

surprized magini said anything about stuckey not finishing the route, he actually was walked over, he is a small guy, dont think we will see much of him in the slot any more

20. By mike ex jet fan on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Randy …….. Didn’t Vinnie T injure his Achilles tendon 1st game of the 99 season . & wasn’t that why he was 0-1 If memory serves me.. U sound like some1 I know with that Rhandy screen name comment LOL

21. By Andrew in Nova Scotia on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

The successful coaches that have fallen off the Bill Walsh tree or the Parcells tree have developed their own personality and and learned from mistakes.It is time for Eric to stop the boring Belispeak and be his own man.Accountability begins and ends with the HC and I for one am tiring quickly with how little fire this team is playing with.The Baker injury should be accounted for and should not

22. By Drew on Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

Randy, your response to Rhandy was hilariuos!!!!!! The problem with clamping down Favre, Ira is you then lose the great plays he can make. The coaches are in a tough spot. Mangini wants to play ball control-limit mistake football but we have FAVRE. Mangini has to straighten Schotty out. Schotty and Favre want to throw the ball all over the place. Right now it’s give it to Favre to win or lose

23. By ed on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

This offensive line is the worst i have ever seen in the NFL. Brett is getting killed and there is no accountability from the coaches on the sidlines when he gets pulverized. Maybe he is throwing picks because he is not getting time to make his reads, etc.! A legend should not have a David Carr (Houston, Rookie season) beating, not this courageous veteran. Perhaps a 2t ight end set 4 blocking.

24. By Jeremy on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

“Game-Plan Specific” that means you do have a game-plan, wow, that’s eye opening! Glad you don’t just wing it and Pass against poor Run D’s and Run against poor Pass D’s! I can’t stand listening or reading for that matter Mangini’s press conferences: I liked this, I liked that–would love to hear a Singletary type conference just once from Mangini. FIRE SUTTON & SHOTTY! MAN UP. It’s DISGRACFUL

25. By jd on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

once again i watched the jets offense disappoint offense play calling which is horriable i dont understand why the jets continue to run most of there plays out of the shotgun and why dont they attempt to run the ball against a defense of line that gave up over 200 yards rushing the week before.in my opoi

26. By QB on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Chad Pennington, 100.5 passer rating with an average of 8.5 yds/pass. 20 passes 20+yds and 5 passes 40+ yds. Brett Farve, 89.5 passer rating with an average of 6.9 yds/pass. 17 passes 20+ yds, 4 passes 40+yds. the fact is, the Jets made a mistake letting Penny go. It’s not Brett. He’s great. It’s the lame play calling, coaching, managing. Mangini, Tannebaum need to go instead,

27. By Blake on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Just a thought, but it seems like Mangini still coached the team like he did 2 years ago when they had inferior talent to other teams and needed to out-gimmick them to win games. Our guys were better than the Chiefs. On 3 and 1 stop with the cute stuff and run it down their throats…or atleast put a running back in the backfield so they have to think about it… But anyways, on to Buffalo…

28. By TJMGold on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Jets season being victorious may depend on this Sunday. If the Jets lose this Sunday, then they’ll HAVE to be close to unstoppable for the rest of the season, and we’ll have to pray Buffalo and NE get a few more losses. I’ll definitely have plenty of beer for this game. And for the love of God, where is Nugent? I’m tired of seeing Feely missing these simple FGs. It will soon cost us the game.

29. By Drew on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

How funny is it that I am coming to the end of my Tuesday work day here in China and most of my fellow bloggers are fast asleep hours away from their Tuesday workday. From the sounds of the last 2 games it would appear I didnt miss much. I listened to both games and was disgusted with both. You cant imagine pacing the hotel room at 3 and 4 am listening to Marty and Shoes!!

30. By Davey on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Can someone tell me where our first round pick is vernon Golsten,Does he stink that bad or are we waiting for him to figure out the defense still?GO JETS

31. By uncle joe on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Hey,that 1st Farve Int.,Cotchery slowed down like he didn’t know the ball was in the air,and it looked to me like Farve’s arm hit someone as it was going foward restricting the pass,it was probably ment to go out if bounds.Our Offense with him is exciting,we can score at anytime and when teams know we are throwing he still completes passes something that is IMPOSSIBLE for Chad.

32. By john on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

You perople have got to be kidding there is no positive to any of the senarios,Mangini hasn’t a clue and if they get blown out at Buffalo,with the money woody has paid I dump Mangini and Tannenbaum.

33. By Ira on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Even Peyton Manning is struggling.Throwing 2 picks in a loss to the Titans. Turnovers teams can not overcome. Amazzing the Jets have had 8 INT’s in their last 4 games but still have won 3 of those 4 games. If favre can stop throwing picks the rest of the team will respond also and this team can get on a run. Like Drew said “It all starts in Buffalo this week” GO JETS!!!!

34. By ScottinAfghanistan on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

First, stop calling for the coaches’ heads. You don’t get a good team by changing coaches every couple of years. This is the first time that we’ve had all the pieces in place for the 3-4 defense. They didn’t run as much as they wanted because of 0 blocking TE. Randy, where is Pociak? We might need him. They WILL play better @ Buffalo. QB play might give me a heart attack, but it’s exciting.

35. By Frank on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Ira whether Smith or Elam start has no bearing on how the team has performed although I disagree I felt and still do Smith is the better choice. You are right the team is 4-3 so we are not out of it however if we continue to play like the last 2 weeks we will go 0-4 over the next 4 games. Mangini and his staff better catch lightening in a bottle for these next weeks will determine their destiny.

36. By Alex on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

The play calling is killing me. I feel like we go from playing a playstation type offense to playing a boring drawn out offense. There is no play action set up from the run, there are no direct snaps. There are no disguises.

37. By Eric Allen on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Yes, mike, that’s the problem with QB wins and losses. Testaverde tore his Achilles’ in the second quarter of the 1999 season opener vs. New England and left with a 10-7 deficit. The Jets regained the lead under Tom Tupa and again under Rick Mirer but lost, 30-27. And Vinny gets the L.

38. By Eric Allen on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Scott, according to kffl.com, Jason Posciask was not re-signed by another NFL team after the Patriots released him Sept. 4.

39. By CD on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I disagree with Don. The Jets acquired Farve knowing that he was not afraid to throw the ball down the field and that he would probably get some pics. If the Jets put a damper on Farve, they might as well go back to a “safe” QB like Pennington. The Jets need the inspiration that Farve adds to a team. He might make mistakes, but he’ll also light a fire under their _____. Believe you can Jets!!

40. By Ira on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Drew, Thats why i didn’t think Favre was a good fit because he goes against Eric’s coaching style. If they continue to let favre play the way he is just throwing up the ball this team will finish 6-10 or 7-9. They must get him to make better decesions. Either way he won’t be back next year.

41. By ablity on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

i think we have the best Defense in the leauge n i feel sorry for these guys every game. they get out there and get the offense to go three and out then our QB come out and throws a pick, but they dont get mad bout it they just fight harder. we have a two coner both young ones great and the other is good. we have 2 great ILB, and up to this point KRIS JINKINS is the SUper MVP of this team

42. By ablity on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

yea Vern is not getting in the game at all anymore, but i dont have a problem with that because we dont need him at all, our defense is good, right now he just need to work really hard so next year he could come back in a faster form because that his problem, he is too slow to play LB right now he need to get his speed up, Vern is a project guys but when hes done he will be a star

43. By JMAC on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

The division is passing us by. By next year (quite possibly this one), we will be th worst team in the division for 3-5 years. Richie Kotite her we come. The Jets I know and love.

44. By Anthony on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I just want to see the Jets come together. I feel as a long time Jet fanatic that I watch these other teams and they are explosive filled with emotion and play everyplay like its there last. I just want to see the Jets become the total package which I know they can. They have the talent and the character. I would just ask Mangini to let them lose and tell them to get physical

45. By Dunnie on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Ira, … while you are not wrong about the decision making. Part of the problem is definitely with our receivers. They need to get more open. Also we either lack a true deep threat or the play calling is suspect. Favre has not been throwing downfield as much as he should be. He needs to keep the defenses honest with some 40 yard outs. We should run 1st to setup the pass (coaching 101).

46. By BIG AL on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

i gotta say it went from love #4 to sit #4 real quick we all knew getting him he is a gun slinger and we knew chad couldnt throw hard so here is my thoughts chad is much better protected then favre we see that every sun. and brett is trying to make plays. it starts with play calls they are sloppy the line dont hold long eneough for recievers to position and they have still not estabished the run

47. By Ex pack fan on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I don’t understand why the center doesn’t snap the ball after Favre pulls the defense offsides with the hard count. I’d rather see Brett chuck it deep on a free play.

48. By BIG AL on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

so we see a lot of three and outs or a play or two that go nowhere this is wearing down the defense who i think have been holding the jets together. but they are now getting hurt my Q is why is mangini not showing concern in his press meetings he acts as if things are good he always claims he sees the good in that play or the good in that i think the guy truly is in need of advice and needs help

49. By mike ex jet fan on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Guy’s Guy’s .. Have no problem with the 3& 1 passing plays . That’s the kind of play calling that won the only game we looked like a team against the cards .. Hello we scored 56 points .. Only problem was execution like most of say that’s why Favre is here .. Just need 2 execute give him the protection & watch our team & Favre roll up the wins.Real problem is team is taking on manginis personality

50. By BIG AL on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

the story reads well but the effort put forth is horrible this goes back to the marty lyons article the bills hate us and are going to try evrything to beat us but miami showed that pressure can stop the bills can the jets mirror that?? and miami goes to a beat up denver defense but if they win we lose not good pats go to indy and stand to lose i take peyton over cassel any sunday could be 5-3 all

51. By Larry on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Frank is right on spot. So is Drew,Ira,Jeremy,the list goes on. The problem is this coaching staff DOESNT KNOW HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEMS!! They are unimaginative, under or over utilizing talent, predictable,ultra conservative , and robotic towards the players and the game situation. And it all trickles down from Mangini. They all look like they just dont care. YOU CANT WIN GAMES LIKE THAT!

52. By uncle joe on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Feel bad for Chatman but now we can bring Miller for KOs to save Leon(wanted to die when he got up limping after he took the kicker for a 7 yard Rodeo ride,Classic)Miller better not fumble or hes GONE.So now I think the Clowney Facter will come into affect.We’re all waiting for it.Need some dumpoffs to the fullback after he blocks some one,the Bills will take a page from Oak & blitz like crazy!

53. By JMAC on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Who is buying PSLs and thereby betting on the Jet’s future? What a joke. Front office, coaching and QB. Where do the Jets rate in this division now and two years from now? Like Tangini can play with Parcells, Pioli and Juron. Please.

54. By Brian I on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I have to say I am disappointed. I respect the coaching staff but I think sometimes they are trying to hard to find a way. The game plan this week given we did not have Baker or franks had us in shotgun on 3rd and 1…seriously?? Favre is costing this team big time as of now, hopefully it will turn around. I would love a different take from Mangini…his demeanor and attitude are mundane.

55. By Brian I on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I would also like to say God Bless fans like Ira….he is by far the most die hard fan I have ever came across and for the first time he has stated it is getting harder for him to see the cup half full….maybe things will start changing…remember what you told beningo Ira if it came down to it last week of the year you would pick against the Jets

56. By Damone on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

So i’m hearing David Harris is hurt.What are we going to do about the MLB spot for Buffalo?Someone is going to have to help out Bowens(2 slow) and Spencer.That means we’re either leaving a void on the right side of the field(SS)or B.Thomas is going to have to drop back and that means less pressure on T.Edwards.How are we suppose to go man to man with Bowens and Spencer at that 1 MLB spot.Not good!

57. By sindrew on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Farve needs protection. Until he gets that he’ll throw INTs and continue to lead an anemic offense just like Chad and Vinny were saddled with.

58. By sindrew on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Maybe Favre is reckless because he knows how to manage the game better than Mangini and he’s trying to make plays and coach at the same time. What happened to the surprise plays we saw in the first game of the season? Does Jets ownership read these posts? Maybe we have more insight…

59. By Doug on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Hey Eric,
    So half way home and Vilma is back to leading the league in total tackles. What do we get in compensation when he makes the pro bowl and leads the league in tackles at the end of the year? 1st Round pick?

60. By Alex on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I was a Chad fan and I realize Chad couldn’t make all the throws that Favre can. But that being said what is the difference of a Chad throwing an INT on a 6 yard out pattern than Favre throwing an INT that goes 40 yards in the air? The results are the same. And the headlines say FAVRE LEADS COMEBACK – shouldn’t it say Favre Mistakes Lead To a Needed Comeback?

61. By SteveB on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Yes we have won 3 out of the last 4!! 3 were at home and 1 on the road against teams with a combined record of 7 and 22 and one of those the Cardinals imploded and made 6 turnovers on their end of the field. Just so happens that is where Favre padded his stats. Take the Cards out and the combined record of the teams is 3-19. Not too comforting to me. The Bills will paste us !

62. By SteveB on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

When we lose to the Bills look for Mangini to throw womeone under the bus. Anyone but Favre !! More than likely Shotty or Carson. Just another smoke screen to buy some more time. That was the reason for CP departure he is like a politician trying to cover up his inability to be a head coach. Parcells,Cowher, vermeil, Jefff Fsher anyone that could coach at all would have this team near the top!

63. By Ira on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Brian, Thats funny. I give you my word if it comes down to the last game i will pick the Dolphins. But as for this week i will go out on the limb and i am not sold on the Bills. the jets have too much talent to be playing like they are. TJ is running for 4.4 yds a clip and Leon at 5.7. So here it is stick to the basics,make no mistakes and the score will be Jets 24- Bills 23. GO JETS!!!!

64. By JMAC on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Two years from now:

Buffalo- Edwards 4th year in his prime.
    Miami- Parcells will have them at 10 wins minimum.
    NE- still have Brady.

Jets- we’ll be begging for RICHIE KOTITE!!! Get ready for an extended stay in the basement people.

65. By Jesse on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I just thought that game was going to be a little more balance. 40 pass plays and 17 plays between TJ and LW?! We can’t do that against Buffalo, Tenn., Broncos, and especially St. Louis. We’ll get picked all day and Herm Edwards said that he expected us to go pass heavy before the game. Our O-line plays ok against the pass,but extremely well against the run. We got to keep teams guessing!

66. By Thomas on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Randy,
    I am also wondering why Gholston has been more like ‘GHOST-on’ this year. Do you see Harris’ injury opening up a spot for our #1 pick in the LB corps this weekend?

67. By Ken on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I keep telling you guys. BASIC Football 101. Balance of RUN and PASS. PLAY ACTION FAKE on EVERY play to keep the defense honest for at least a second. And to PLAY ACTION FAKE, the QB has to be under center! Passing from the Shot Gun all the time, tells the “D” before the ball is even snapped that this is going to be a PASS play. Basic Football 101 ERIC! And I want to see the QB RATCLIFF!

68. By Damone on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Where is Justin Miller and Vernon Gholston??!!

69. By Fred on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Randy: First and long. Like your blog. Want to seriously suggest that Jets consider hiring Ira to work for them in a meaningful role. Nobody else brings his energy, effort and devotion to them than Ira–who goes to every game, knows our history inside-out and has a mind for detail that any organization could use to strengthen its operation. Randy, it’s time to put a good word in for Ira.

70. By James on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I agree, Favre is not getting the protection for the line. He has less time to look for the best target.

71. By mike ex jet fan on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Randy .. Did u hear anything on our TE’s & are we making any acquisitions .. WE cannot play buff with keller alone at TE .. Turner will help some but the whole game doubt it

72. By MikeMc on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Guys this is a QB driven league, The fact that we won with such poor QB play speaks volumes about the character of this team. There is no quit in these guys & that is a direct reflection of the coach like it or not. Reading these posts you would think we were 1-6.Favre was brought in here to sell PSL’s he does not upgrade the QB spot, for every game he wins with his style, he’ll lose 1 recklessly.

73. By Rafael on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I keep wondering if Farve is realy hurt ? Eather he wants to keep plaing or Mangini can’t pull him out for a week just becouse of his record.

74. By MikeMc on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I’m willing to live with these exciting nail biter games for as long as Favre is here but I won’t blame the coach & nor should any of you for Favres reckless behavior under center. None of you guys are at any meetings or practice, the team gets along with each other & never says a bad word about the staff. Look whats going on with all these other teams. Mangini has done a good job so far.

75. By Eric Allen on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Thomas, with David Harris playing inside and Vernon Gholston outside, I’d say not likely in the base. Coach Mangini will be asked about these things on Wednesday.

76. By Eric Allen on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Fred, you’re preaching to the choir.

77. By Eric Allen on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I’ve heard nothing yet today, mike. We’ll let you know if we get any announcements.

78. By Iowachick on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I was glad to see you noted Chansi stopped running his pattern, which lead to an interception. That happened for one of the INT with the Raiders. Chansi stopped running when Favre had not yet thrown. Favre threw the ball and it must have been where Chansi was supposed to be, because Chansi’s Raider coverage was right there to get the ball. Guys- keep running- Farve will get it to someone.

79. By mike ex jet fan on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Yep mikey mc .. I agree with u this team does have character .. there names are Favre & leon. The defence gave a ton of yards to the worst team in the league & the O-line almost got him killed.. Third string QB started the day with a 44.3 passer rating he had 151 rating 1st half at the jets .. Your right That’s all they are right now characters .. Character would have beat Oakland

80. By Drew on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

MikeMc…I agree, Mangini has done a good job so far. He is in a tough spot with the Favre trade. Favre wants to sling the ball all over the field and Mangini wants to control the ball and limit mistakes…basically anti-Favre. As you know I have always defended Mangini but it does confuse me how fans are killing the Jets for throwing the ball in obvious running downs. Dont coach scared??

81. By CFU on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Oh come on guys! Drew and IRA you act like everything is all Favre’s fault. Sure he made some bad plays but the line has to be held responsible. What was the point of picking up Faneca and Woody? Looks like the same Oline from last year. If anyone is to blame it’s MANGINI and the coaching staff. Mangini is like a robot shows no emotion PC is horrible fire both OC n DC. If we lose to BUF fire HC.

82. By brian on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

Randy, do you know if the coaching staff actually reads these comments? Is there anyway they can..a lot of these comments could be very helpful!

83. By Drew on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I can complain because I didnt scream “we have Favre let him throw the ball all day” after the 3 failed runs against NE(remember Mangini haters??). I thought we got Favre to help our running game not the other way around. Right now Schotty’s game plan is give it to Favre to win or lose the game?? Mangini has to control this. If he dosent he has to get some blame here. It’s his coaches.

84. By Row on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

First off, on the pick to Coles, B.Smith was open for at least a 20 yard gain. Can’t coach a pick. If Miller doesn’t dress, we will be blown out by Buffalo. It’s time to bring the pain, if we can get to the QB, I see a win. Must establish the run. I am tired of the shotgun, no reason for it. I also remember Dearth at TE, he could have been utilized for the run. Simple, yet complicated.

85. By Row on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I want to see Thomas Jones in a press conference. On the sidelines he is always talking to T-Rich. I would be if you asked him, he’d throw the podium off the stage. I am tired of no attempts to establish the run after several steller running games by TJ. He could be leading the league right now, instead he’s defending his coach. PITIFUL! Eric needs to find a way to relate to the fans and players.

86. By Jet4lfe on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I love Farve dont get me wrong. But to not run against a 32nd ranked defense all day is crazy! I think now that Brett is some what understanding of the plays they are putting to much on him. The run sets the pass…Sometimes it goes the other way. Pound the ball with jones and set Leon free!

87. By Drew on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

CFU..I cant speak for Ira but Im not blaming everything on Favre. The coaches have a major hand in this also. I am reacting to the GB/Favre/Jets fans who think Favre is ABOVE getting blamed for anything. The same reason why Chad lost fans last year is because he turned the ball over in the redzone. I can handle the crazy plays but he hasnt won any titles for this fanbase and gets little slack here

88. By David Patrick on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I have been a Packer fan for the last 18 yrs. Saw pretty much every game for the last 18 yrs. Followed Favre’s entire career from his first throw. This year I have been following the Jets.
    One thing that stands out the most for me is this. The Playcalling. I cannot beleive the plays that are called OR not called. The biggest weakness I see from the Jets is the coaching staff.

89. By Ira on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

CFU, Granted the o-line has had some problems but a lot of the sacks have been coverage sacks. The Oakland game Favre was knocked around because they seemed to have blitzed a lot while the Jets were in a spread formation. 5 men can’t block 7 players. The WR’s were not getting open that much.They need to run shorter routes so he can pass the ball sooner.Things will get better this week. GO JETS!!!!

90. By michael on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

hey ira i was thinking of this offense play and i would to see tj on the left side behind favre and leon washington the right side of favre but behind him i don’t know what this offense play is called but i seen it from somewhere.What would you think of that play and randy do you know what i’m talking out.Drew what you think of these?jets fan for life

91. By michael on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

hey ira and drew and whoelse read this i belivei herad david harris is hurt and could be out in the bufflo game how abnout we take the guy name kenwin cummings off the practice squard and let hime play he was a beast in preseason that i remember.so what do you think of that?randy what you think of that?jets fan for life,michael

92. By Joe Willie on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I just figured it out! Mangini’s been playing possum thru the easy part of the schedule (He can’t really be this clueless, right?) Now with no film record for the upcoming tough teams, he’s going to pull out all the stops, be innovative, smart, and coach appropriately. I mean, that must be it… Right?

93. By RobKay on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

I agree with some of the posters who are questioning the playcalling. For me, the coaches are reactive and not playing to the team strengths. Against KC? Run ALL day. Against Oakland? Throw short passes all day and run Jones at them. That Oakland game should not have even been close. Should have also won the New England game. THe only loss this season that I will say “ahhh maybe” in is SD.

94. By Susan in Wisconsin on Oct 28, 2008 | Reply

#4 needs more protection & the WRs have to get open quicker; then things’ll start clicking. There was a show on ESPN tonight (E:60 with Jeremy Schaap). I don’t know if they’ll re-air it, but the 1st segment was on Deanna Favre (some w/Brett). They referenced a blog she wrote, which gives great insight into the last few months for the Favres: http://www.favrehopefoundation.blogspot.com:80/ Go Jets!

95. By CEDRIC on Oct 29, 2008 | Reply

I’m sorry to even say this, I already want Shotty & Sutton gone, Favre is done after this season, player play the game, but I will jump off the Mangini Ship if they lose this game. Real Talk. I like him but i just cant take this anymore.

96. By Ira on Oct 29, 2008 | Reply

Michael,
    Yes Cummings should be given a chance to rotate with Bowens at ILB if Harris can’t play. And i would be very happy to see Harris on the field in Buffalo but i have my doubts he will play.Hope i am wrong.Its time to beat the Bills in Buffalo. The Jets have lost 4 out of their last 5 games up there.GO JETS!!!!

97. By uncle joe's WHY COME on Oct 29, 2008 | Reply

Mr.Randy,Why Come Ainge wasn’t put on IR from day one?Is there a certain rule not allowing him to be IR all year?Will Cummings be doing just that on Sunday?Will we see Clowny?Why isn’t Nugent on IR too?WHY COME RANDY,WHY COME

98. By Drew on Oct 29, 2008 | Reply

Love the idea of TJ and Washington in the back field together Micheal but it will never happen…B Schott will mess that up also…God his playcalling bothers me. ….I would rather have anybody on the field than C Spencer. He is out of his league playing MLB in the NFL. I think Cummings is a nice option…..Really good post Micheal keep it up!!

99. By Brian I on Oct 29, 2008 | Reply

Ira, I am with you to the end. Do you get the feeling sometimes the Jets are outsmarting themselves with the schemes. Instead of going with what is known i.e. Chiefs weak run defense are they trying to hard to find another hole and exploit it instead of relying on averages?? I honestly think sometimes we cut off our nose to spite our face Ira.

100. By TJMGold on Oct 29, 2008 | Reply

I’ve been out of state for a couple weeks. Can anyone tell me why Nugent isn’t their primary FG/extra point kicker?

101. By Shannon Davis on Oct 29, 2008 | Reply

Hey EA,
    Davis from Fredonia here, Do you think this is a “must win” for the Jets to have a legitimate shot at the division title? I know it is an over used term and anything can happen bro but in all reality a loss really puts the Jets in a hole with the Patriots winning games and falling 3 games behind the Bills with the tie breaker. What do you think? Long live Brad and talk to you soon.

102. By Eric Allen on Oct 29, 2008 | Reply

Shannon,

What’s up bro? Hope you’re teaching them up well down in Fredonia. Say hi to the wife and the kids for me.

A must win? No. I always trace folks back to our team back in ’02. You might recall we started 2-5 and still took the division.

This would be a big win for the Jets, but let’s not understate the importance of this game from the Bills’ perspective. They’re 0-1 in the division and have a road game looming with the Pats.

Also let’s remember, the Jets host the Bills in December.