• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

LYONS: Smart Football, First-Half MVPs

Posted by jetsstaff on November 3, 2008 – 10:55 am

It was once said, "If you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re probably right."

The Jets played smart football and used a physical defense to beat a Buffalo team that had not lost a home game in the ’08 season. They played from the shoulders up and executed a game plan that didn’t just frustrate the Buffalo players but also their fans.

The team leader also emerged yesterday: Kris Jenkins. Kris leads by example and when he speaks, everyone listens. Besides owning the middle of the defense, he was all over Trent Edwards all day, hitting him three times (one resulting in a 92-yard interception return for a touchdown by Abram Elam). He also had two sacks and five tackles.

I haven’t seen some one dominate the nose tackle position since Joe Klecko did so in the Eighties.

One example of smart football was when Leon Washington, on a third-quarter kickoff by Buffalo, was out of bounds when first touching the ball. The ball is considered out of bounds by rule, spot the ball on the 40-yard line.

Another was when Brett Favre used a quick snap to catch Buffalo with 12 men on the field. When a flag wasn’t thrown, Eric Mangini challenged the play and won — 5 free yards and repeat the down.

It was smart football when when Laveranues Coles slid his hand under the ball to keep it from hitting the turf — first down.

It was smart football when the offense controlled the fourth quarter, holding the ball for just over 10 minutes to FINISH the game.

One last thing about smart football. Look at the final numbers by the defense. They held Buffalo to 30 yards rushing, had 5 sacks, 2 interceptions, 6 tackles for losses, 1 fumble recovery and 1 defensive score. Not to mention Darrelle Revis was outstanding and is having a Pro Bowl season. It doesn’t get any better than that.

After eight games the Jets are tied in the AFC East for first place at 5-3. Don’t look back, look forward. The next quarter of football is time for you to build on what you started in Buffalo, not go backward. Take one game at a time starting with the Rams. This is a game you should win.

My MVPs after eight games: Offense — Thomas Jones and Jerricho Cotchery. Defense — Darrelle Revis and Kris Jenkins. Special Teams — Wallace Wright and Leon Washington.

Remember this: "If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse." No more excuses.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Marty Lyons | 67 Comments »

67 Responses to “LYONS: Smart Football, First-Half MVPs”

1. By Bob Kole on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Agree with all but can someone/anyone please tell me what is happeneing with Vernon Gholston?! He was our 6th pick of the draft a supposed monster on defense. Where is he hidding?

2. By chekov on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

brett is still getting hit to much, He will not last long if this continues. the jets had one of their best games on sunday. I still think the offense has no Identity yet. brett is not brett from the gb days. I still think he is being limited with the play calls by the off. cordinator and playbook. the jets can still put it togather and win go jetssss.

3. By Ira on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Marty, I agree with everything you say including the MVP’s. And also you’re right on about jenkins being the leader of this team. After Favre threw that pick yesterday he had his head down and Jenkins came over to him and gave him support. The AFC is wide open and its there for the jets to take it. Like Marty says “No more excuses”.

4. By MikeMc on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Marty your Mvp’s are right on. give kudos to a couple of surprises like Stuckey,B.Thomas,Lowery, also some goats like Drew Coleman , I don’t understand why he is still on the team, he can’t cover & never makes a play, Gholston is non existent,J.Miller & Barrett not contributing enough.Alot of promise with Keller & Clowny.Free Agents are big contributers so maybe Mr T. gets a mvp vote too.

5. By sal on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Marty, imagine if Joe had Jenkins size, jez whats the next step up from an animal

6. By Anthony on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Once Again Marty you are totally on point. I agree with everything you say here, I really feel its about the team believeing in themselves also. That if you want anything you just have to go get it. I am happy they showed a lot of emotion when making those plays also, I think it shows the Jets character. They are a team that will not be pushed around. I hope they do the same with the Rams

7. By OriginalJetFan on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Like 68, adjustments to a balanced attack , nice win without a Favre TD toss, the 68 team won 4 or so straight after Joe Willies 7 int game without him throwing one TD pass, with strong D, a good running game and nice mix of pass run. Add this years incredible Special teams play and , baby, we got a shot at the whole thing. Kris Jenkins for president, running mate Darrel Revis.
    J-E-T-S, Jets

8. By keith on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

this performance (except for the pick 6) is the effort you want to see!! win or lose id atleast be happy with their coaching and effort!

9. By Rex on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Hi Marty, nice article. I just wanted to ask you what it was like to play along side Mark Gastineau and Joe Klecko? I remember the brawl with the Rams like yesterday, that was a while ago. The Sack Exchange was awesome!

10. By Marty Lyons on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Rex, I’ve sent your question on to Marty. If he’s able to respond, I’ll place it here in place of my no-comment comment.

11. By sal on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Marty,
    is it too early to call Gholston a bust, looks like he is even havin problems on the special teams

12. By sal on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

sorry randy, scratch marty off the two coments, and put Randy down for me, like to see your response if you can

13. By mike ex jet fan on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Ray Ira Drew etc. I am here & still holding back right now they deserve the respect this week finally … But from past experiences being cautiously optimistic with this win .. I will wait & see if they play like this rest of season .. I will be the happiest of jets fans here no doubt.. The guys were defined as a team this week & hope they continue 2 do so ..No wake up this week its keep it up

14. By Marty Lyons on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

sal, if you’re asking me if I think it’s too soon to call Vernon Gholston a bust, yes, I do. Eight games into an NFL career is far too little time to make that determination. Yes, VG whiffed on a KOR by the very fast Leodis McKelvin. But Gholston played defense vs. the Bills and was also in on his first no-gain tackle. A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first steps … I got that from a fortune cookie, I think.

15. By Ira on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

mike and all those fans that are waiting now for the ball to drop. Its not going to happen. They will take care of the Rams this week. Not trap game or Same Old jets. Too many veterans on this team to let this happen. They know whats at stake and they are hungry. Don’t be surprised if the Jets and Dolphins are playing for the divison title the last week of the week. GO JETS!!!!

16. By russ on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

best game they’ve played in over two years….

17. By russ on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Randy who asked the question if Gholston is working out with Lawrence Taylor at Mangini’s news conference? What is that all about???

18. By TonyC on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

I was very pleased with the Jets performance yesterday. However, they must remain at that level of play. It’s hard to believe they won 4 of 5 because of the ugly games they’ve played the last month. I also agree with D Coleman having to go. It seems he is always the reason for big pass plays on us.

19. By uncle joe on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Ira your 75% right,I think the Jets blow out the Rams at home and then go take care of business in NE.Then our run D takes things personal in stopping Titans run game and dares Collins to beat them.But Miami beat a bad Denver team and to think Chad can lead them to a division title is it bit much.They play tough but,in the end it is Chad we are talking about.

20. By uncle joe's WHY COME on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Hey Randy,Why Come last week these commenters had the Jets being the worst team in football and this week they are Superbowl contenders?All of a sudden Tannenbaum is a genius and Mangini is a great team motivator worthy of coach of the year honors,Why Come Randy WHY COME?

21. By uncle joe on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Hey Marty,Leon is great but,lets be fair here,Special Teams MVP goes to WESTOFF hands down.Him coming back turned our season around Our STs was horrible until he came back and with bad field position,I don’t care what team you have,you CAN’T WIN.He could be the Team MVP!

22. By uncle joe on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

The way I see it,the Raider loss didn’t kill us it only made us stronger.The Jets will only lose 1 maybe 2 more games during the regular season so Tom Spicer only has a small window of opportunity in which to post comments.

23. By Tom Spicer on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

If Kris Jenkins does not make the pro bowl the should be a criminal investigation

24. By Tom Spicer on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Congrats to all of the Jets great game to beat the Bills on the road & to play the type of D we played.

25. By fljetfan on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Dear Brett, forget trying to prove G.B. wrong. Stats are for fantasy ftbl. We don’t care if you throw for 300, 3 td, we want to win. Please buy in. You are good enough to take us home. Sometimes I get the feeling you try to be the hero because you have been throughout your career. So, in short , your play will inspire this team, we have the talent to do it

26. By Kerry on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

To Bob Cole: according to Jay Glazer at Fox Sports, Vernon Gholston has asked Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor to tutor him, and has actually met with already. Hopefully we’ll see the results of this extra work pay off soon!

27. By supercooljetfan on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

i think mangini’s next kid should be named abram…cause elam saved manginis job with that int yesterday…i cant believe it took an injury to smith for elam to be starting he shood of been from week 1 !!!!! if the jets do anything big this year it all comes back to elams int.

28. By Marty Lyons on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

russ, see Kerry’s comment at the end of this Radar entry.

29. By Ray on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

mike ex, I fell for that trap the last time. you are all happy because of a big win, but the first blip on the radar (no offense on that one Randy!) and you’ll be off on another lunar escapade. we all hope this is a sign of what’s ahead, but as we saw the two weeks prior, can’t take anyone for granted. BTW anyone notice what KC did against Tampa? Proof it can happen to anyone.

30. By Rich on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Mangini got lucky with the interception after Mangini declined the penalty on 3RD & 16 on Buffalo. Then Mangini was shown shaking his head after Buffalo completed the 4th down. Mangini always out thinks himself. Like when he trys those stupid On Side Kicks when he doesn’t really need too, which statistics show rarely ever work.

31. By Shawn on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Please, please, please…Fire Shottenhiemer. This offense is so predictable with him calling the plays. He is the reason the offense struggles, not all on Favre’s shoulders.

32. By Tom Spicer on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Uncle Joe, 1 I love you to & 2 after 34 years of heartache I have earned the right to be this way

33. By Ira on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

uncle joe,
    Watchout for the Dolphins. They are playing very good defense. Besides the Jets, Bills and Pats their other 5 games are against teams with very bad records. The Dolphins could win 9 games this year. I don’t want to get ahead of myself but what a story line. Chad back in the Meadowlands to face Favre and the Jets for the AFC East Crown. One can only hope. GO JETS!!!!

34. By sal on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Hope LT keeps it to football.

35. By mike ex jet fan on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Marty was a g8 fan of the sack exchange… what I remember best was mark G was a hog dog & 1/2 but a monster from the edge unstoppable… Klecko played the middle like a man possessed looked like Jenkins today… Marty u & Abdul played hard nosed kick butt football truly were feared by every team u played .. I remember u were a class act.

36. By sal on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

randy not that it really means anything, but being the Jets have a better divional winning pct, why is it considered a tie?

37. By mike ex jet fan on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Ray Ira mike MC .. Like to bring something to your attention even though u guys will never admit 2 it .. 1st time in mangini career he took his guys to the wood shed behind closed doors this week .. Told them no1 job is safe if they don’t step it up.. Why!! cause of fans like me & frank etc he got the message finally did something about it .. See what happens when u put your mind 2 it

38. By Patrick on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Marty, there’s a couple of comments here about Coleman and requests for his departure from team green. What do you think about his performance. And there are other comments about Elam starting instead of Smith. Your thoughts?

39. By Marty Lyons on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

sal, you’re right. At this point in the season, the tiebreakers mean little and they change dramatically each week. The NFL and all news organizations don’t worry about breaking ties in the standings until after Week 17. That doesn’t mean we can’t talk about them, though.

40. By Marty Lyons on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Patrick, I’ll forward your questions to Marty and see if he can respond to them.

41. By mike ex jet fan on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Finally constant pressure on the QB & MOST OF ALL NO 3 MAN RUSH .. Favre’s management of the game are main reasons why we won this game I’ll take that INT every time knowing with the game on the line .. Favre drove us on 9 minute drive, That’s true experience at it’s finest ladies & gentlemen .. We need to stop the short slants & middle, Drop a line backer & move the safety’s up please

42. By mike ex jet fan on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Crazy dolfan You sound like a kid that just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar ..I feel 4 you I would be hatin also if my team was like 0-20 against a stink team .. Wonder what u must think of them ??

43. By Dave on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Marty, first off I have to say I’m a huge fan of yours! The Sack Exchange is by far my favorite part of Jets history. I think the Sack Exchange should be honored by the Jets and also Mark Gastineau’s jersey should be retired to break in the new stadium. I also think that it’s a huge crime that Joe Klecko isn’t in the Hall of Fame. Go Jets!!!

44. By #1dolphinsfan on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

havent seen me in a while what up !! anyways ira is not if its gonna happen it is gonna happen and this time you wont get that lucky 4th down touchdown.You guys should be afraid of us we beat everyother team now its your turn

45. By Xavion on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

I said it before the game that Lee Evans didnt scare me and that marshawn lynch didnt Scare me Revis Handles Evans easy and The D will take care of teh run I wasnt even Scared of wr 2 I said I was scared of the slot WR and the TE Our Lb’s arent good cover LBs Safetys need to stay on the TE’s or they will have big games on us. Coleman cant cover the Slot…

46. By Xavion on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Coleman has to go, Not only for his poor coverage and his constant allowance of yards by his wr in 3rd down but also he almost made a bonehead play When he almost “Drew” a holding a penalty on Lynch that would have negated Elams TD, I dont understand why he still gets the nod with Miller Barret and poteat on the team. Poteat and Barret performed as starters well enough to warrant the Nickle pos

47. By Xavion on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Also I dont have a big problem with the accepting of the penalty because Im sure Mangini got tired of seeing points scored on his D so why give them points when you can take points off Im sure he had a plan that just relied on solid few moments of coverage if you look at the play they almost sacked Edwards but Surprise coleman blew the coverage. If they sack edwards they are out of scoring Range.

48. By CEDRIC on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Mr. LYONS, Keep writing these powerful articles! We are 5-3 lets move forward & bulid off of this!! Smart/tough football wins! Go Mangini look at what u did right & Build!! Shotty playcall to your teams strengths & weakness, do your job! I’m proud of them, GO JETS!!!

49. By Don on Nov 3, 2008 | Reply

Randy,
    I am very disapointed in the jets choice to not play gholstan, If we give him a chance he might make some plays, atleast let him switch with thomas, he hasnt done to much in the last few games. We drafted him si

50. By Ray on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

no no mike ex, I’m right there with ya!! I have an inside source who told me mangini checks these every day and they don’t talk about game plans until they read all your posts. In fact, I’m hearing they are going to send you a bonus check if they make the playoffs!! Why does the sound of a cuckoo clock keep sounding in my head??

51. By Morrie on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

Coleman is one of the only players on the D who is constantly getting burned. Enoough already- we have plenty of other D Backs to replace him with!

52. By Drew on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

I cant tell you how good W Wright is on specials. Glad to see he got a mention in Marty’s story. I as well am confused why Coleman continues to play the slot. He is fast but struggles to stay with anyone. I would start to put Poteat there. He is solid and always makes a play…Got to give B-Schott a little credit. He scaled back his redzone calls and made a great one with T-Rich run on 3rd down

53. By Alex M on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

Great game jets! mike ex jet fan, i must say, favre’s management is not the main reason we won. our defense is the MAIN reason we won. for the second week in a row favre almost lost the game for us. first of all, i blame the playcalling. WHY?, as usual do we throw on 1st and 10 (or 3rd and 1) with a commanding lead? second, brett needs to learn to holster it and take a sack (or throw it away).

54. By Daniel on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

Best call of the day – T. Rich on 3rd and 1!!!! I absolutely cheered that call to the high heavens!!! Logic reigned down on Sunday, and by golly, WE DID IT! That Oakland loss is stinging worse though, but we gotta move on. Our schedule is not easy. Gotta show up every week!! I love to see Jenkins taking a leadership role, but our LB’s are struggling in pass coverage. Lets fix it guys!!!

55. By Kevin on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

Brett threw it away a couple of times in this game which was nice to see at least he was trying to take care of the ball the INT wasn’t really his fault his arm got hit which caused him to throw it a little softer than he wanted which made an easy pick is it just me or did Elam look like he was slowing down at the end of that run Lynch almost caught him I think he wanted to show off a little

56. By mike ex jet fan on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

Don’t know Ray guess therapy isn’t working 4 you would be my guess .. They have meds 4 that sort of thing look into it K

57. By rick striffolino on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

D. Colman had a horrible game. He was late on reaction time and seemed to have problems with his footing. I have found that when a DB slips a lot he is unsure of himself.

58. By HOGAN on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

Great post, great message. Never liked Poteat but he has shown improvment, and should be above Coleman in the depth. I also love love loved the T-ritch run. Been calling for that(privatly) all season.

59. By Ray on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

your all the therapy I need mike ex, comic relief is the best medicine!! Hey I think your phone is ringing, better get it, it’s probably mangini wanting to talk strategy with you……memorize it.

60. By Ray on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

ok mike ex, just for S&G’s let’s pretend that mangini actually reads all this flotsam in here and then turns around and makes adjustments. how do you know he’s going with what you and Frank and the boys say? why not with what Drew and MikeMc and Ira say? Or uncle joe and KEN and Row? If you want to say the fans had something to do with the qb change last year, ok, after we were 1-6 he caved to

61. By Ray on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

pressure to make a change. But if you want to believe that mangini reads or cares what anyone in here thinks, sorry not buyin it. I once heard a coach say (wish I could give more specifics) the second you start listening to the fans and make decisions based on what they want, you already have one foot out the door. Rant all you want, he’s going to make his own decisions.

62. By MikeMc on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

RAY I love reading your posts when your taking Mike the Ex to the woodshed. This guy is so full of himself I no longer reply to his pestiferous posts. Shawn not fair to call for Shotty’s head after a 2 game winning streak, if the offense is so predictable why are we like # 2 in the AFC in pts scored? I hate to keep defending the coaches but you guys have to ease up & let the season play out.

63. By Row on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

There is really no reason for negativity right now. I am more than sure Eric is aware of the comments on here.. Whoever said drop a LB and pull the S’s in is just hogwash. We blitz a safety every three plays. We need a solid CB because the Rams pass the ball well, period. Our WR’s will destroy their corners, but we need to have long sustaining drives with good runs. Feely must make his kicks!

64. By Ray on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

Nine weeks into the season and NOW there is no reason for negativity……the eight weeks before it was ok, but now we’ve hit the limit?

65. By mike ex jet fan on Nov 4, 2008 | Reply

Mikey MC & ray .. I truly do like a good challenge but as far as your arguments on jet coaches acompliments hasn’t been 1 yet been ..So hang your hat on this win .. If I know mangini & schotty just setting u up for the let down hope not but that’s been his DNA .. So get the excuses ready to save face again

66. By Ray on Nov 5, 2008 | Reply

nice try mike ex, change the subject to something that wasn’t said and make a fake argument out of it… nice. quote me where I made an argument on the coaches accomplishments. The subject was you trying to take credit for manginis coaching and gameplan. In fact scroll about half way up and you’ll see I told you that we can’t take anyone for granted. On to your next spin move.

67. By CD on Nov 5, 2008 | Reply

mike the ex, maybe you should quit while your ahead. The Jets are only going to get better and my faith in the coaching staff and their abilities is getting stronger. This will be the last reply I make to you and maybe everyone else should ignore you too and you’ll get bored and move on to some other site! Miracles do happen! Go JETS!!!