• Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 12:15 PM - 12:45 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Jets Insider Eric Allen will report from Training Camp practice with guests Willie Colon and Rex Ryan
  • Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 1:15 PM - 1:45 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will adress the media following Training Camp practice
  • Sun., Aug. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Thu., Aug. 07, 2014 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Sun., Aug. 10, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 11, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 13, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Sore as Usual but Ready to Tackle Titans

Posted by Randy Lange on November 22, 2008 – 1:54 pm

Ty Law’s not the only Jet whose achy, breaky joints and muscles we’re concerned about heading toward the team’s flight to Nashville in a few hours.

In fact the whole Jets team (except for Law) went from playing the St. Louis Rams on a Sunday to taking on the Patriots four nights later to "resting" for more than a week before tackling the Titans on Sunday, 10 days after their last game.

I asked a few players around the Atlantic Health Training Center locker room on Friday how they felt this week. Specifically, has physiological equilibrium been achieved? Do they feel the same now as they would have had they played Sunday-Sunday instead of Sunday-Thursday?

For the most part, the Jets said they felt strongly both ways.

"I feel pretty much the same as usual," tight end Chris Baker said. "If I was going through any kind of injury, it might be different. But aside from that, there’s not much of a difference. It does balance out."

"Yeah, it’s all right," said linebacker David Bowens, who’s kind of the human epitome of "all right." "I feel super-fresh today. Last week I was a little sore Thursday morning. The flip side of it was, when we got back and practiced Wednesday of this week, I was still sore, even with the days off. Then yesterday’s practice was good. The soreness went away fast."

Fellow ‘backer Calvin Pace said he just didn’t think the timing of the games mattered to him. He’s just sore as always this time of year.

"My body’s not bad, but you’re going to definitely feel the wear and tear of the season," Pace said. "It’s tough, man, it’s tough. The worst I ever felt, though, was when I played special teams and I really wasn’t playing that much defense — that’s a suicide mission every time."

Different opponents, Pace added, bring different challenges for the body.

"This game ahead’s probably going to a more physical game," he said, "whereas Arizona was just ‘air it out.’ "

DT C.J. Mosley, who had one of his best games as a pro (five tackles, a sack and his first two-PD game) with extended playing time on the sub packages’ front line, wasn’t buying the six-of-one-half-dozen-of-another theory.

"Me personally? I don’t feel the same as usual. Definitely on the bad side," Mosley said. "You wake up in the morning and you’re like ‘Wow!’ You look at the clock and say, ‘Please, just five more minutes.’ "

Yet he’s on the mend. He has no choice. Head coach Eric Mangini scaled back the few practices before the Patriots game but he cranked the tempo back up, often to the beat of "Rocky Top," which the Jets will hear quite a bit at LP Field on Sunday.

"I’ve been in the hot and cold tubs, doing the contrast thing," Mosley said. "Definitely one of the things Coach Mangini has been preaching this week is to keep doing the things you usually do as far as preparation and taking care of your body."

Guard Brandon Moore is another of the guys who said he’s always sore.

"At practice, we didn’t have pads on but it’s still moving and hitting, it’s cold out on the field and you’re a little tight."

Yet Moore said he felt the five-day break before returning to practice this past Wednesday was a good thing. He also said, "I actually love a short week. I wish we could do more."

I couldn’t tell if Brandon was joking or not. But one thing’s for sure. If the Jets keep playing as they have been recently — six wins in seven games to take sole possession of first place in the AFC East — more short weeks will be ahead in their future schedules.

Awards Shutout

The three Jets who were up for sponsored NFL awards this week were also-rans.

The Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week award didn’t go to TE Dustin Keller for his New England pass-catching heroics but to Denver LB-FB Spencer Larsen, who became the first Bronco ever to start on offense and defense in the same game in the road win over Atlanta.

The GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week went not to LB Eric Barton but to Pittsburgh LB James Harrison in the Steelers’ unique 11-10 win over San Diego. And Eric Mangini took a backup role in the Motorola NFL Coach of the Week running to Green Bay’s Mike McCarthy after the Packers’ 37-3 thumping of the Bears.

But never fear. I suspect we’ll have more Jets nominees over the last six weeks of the regular season.

Titan Maneuvers

You may have heard that Tennessee is juggling its secondary in advance of the Jets’ visit. Injured CBs Eric King and Reynaldo Hill were both listed Friday as out for the game and have been placed on IR. To fill in, the Titans have signed veteran Tyrone Poole and promoted Tuff Harris from their practice squad.

If Poole does a "Ty" and plays against the Jets on Sunday, it will be the fifth opponent he’s played for against the Green & White. He’s played for Carolina, Indianapolis, Denver and New England against the Jets, most recently with the Pats for the 2003 home-and-home series.

Tags: , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Sore as Usual but Ready to Tackle Titans”

1. By Xavion on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

I think its sad that we keep getting snubbed on awards. We should have won at least 1 of those awards or one of the several we have been nominated for this season, congrats to Kris Jenkins and Brett for thier 2 awards this season. but Revis should have won for the Buffalo game also

2. By scjoe on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

The great thing about tomorrows game at Tenn is that we are playing on house money! Had the Jets lost last week in NE that wouln’t have been the case. But win or lose tomorrow and no matter what happens in Miami, we leave Tenn in first place and in control of the division. Of course leaving there with a W would just be sweet!

3. By ddh on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

I expect the Jets to dominate in all phases of the game, I dont believe the titans will know what hit them, whether or not this domination will be reflected in the score depends on the second half, and whether Mangini keeps the heat on, or protects a lead.

4. By Moshe on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

That’s good news that both of those guys are out. Thier secondary is still strong with Finnegan, but now the Jets should be able to utilize Brett more than ever, especially against a strong Titans run D. Jets 17 Titans 13. To be even bolder, Brett goes 32-43 for 289,2 touchdowns and 1 Int. Just my gut. GO JETS!!!!

5. By willy G on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

Jet fans – i was surprised to see Law with J. Miller’s old number. He really seemed to just disappear. Just doesnt give me a warm fuzzy, anyone out there have more details on this, and where he is now.

6. By jak, 16 wk jet fan on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

i saw pt of the gb game[ they air that division here in illinois. coach of the week ?.whatd gb coach have to decide, which cooler to drink from? the bears self destructed at every turn,maybe mccarthy put loopy juice in bears cooler.the score was 30 something to 7. 2 500 teams .and yet 2 teams vieing for 1st in an ot game no less .and they award it to a blowout game coach,go figure.GO JETS

7. By fljetfan on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

its time for the jet D to step it up and stop watching jenkins make all the plays. we need to rattle this collins. hes no brett farve!! this team just does not scare me. there a sound team but i gotta think gini comes up with something to stop this O. if were gonna go anywhere the D must get after it. not worried about our O at all but this D MUST STEP UP and stop letting teams throw it all overus

8. By Upstate Mike on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

I wish game time would get here. Man, I’ve been waiting on this one since he Pats game. I’m hoping they break out Clowney as a secret weapon. He was incredible in pre season. Without glaring mistakes, we have a good chance of giving the Titans their first loss. I hope so!!!

9. By richard on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

Hey, Randy, thanks for the update.re “picks of the week” but WE know who the top choices really are and that’s what counts: Keller, Barton, Mangini. Those awards are not justifiable by the nature of “ballot stuffing” results. I made my votes and my guys all stand tall week in & week out. The Jets-Titans game will be a bruiser & I hope the guys will be sharp. God bless them all & keep them whole.

10. By james on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

man i am so pumped up for the game 2moro

11. By carl on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

Hey Randy ,what kind of game do you think this is gonna be ? I think Brett should be able to throw againt this defense. The question may be the run game. This game is gonna be good!!! J-E-T-S JETS JETSJETS!!!!!!

12. By Randy Lange on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

carl, I think it will be close, few mistakes, big pass plays and a Jets win. But that’s just me.

13. By Peyton, WI on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

Hope the guys have a safe and comfortable flight to the Music City. To tell the truth, my blood is just pumping with anticipation for tomorrows game. It’s going be be one of though games where you sit on the edge of the couch. I saw Vagas had the Jets @ -5.5. I really don’t feel this is going to be that close. I’ve been saying for the past week, Jets 31-17 over the Titans. Go Jets, just do it!

14. By wayne on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

Not a Ty Law fan but I hope he helps. Jets are most complete team Titans have faced this year so I think even with their record they have somethiing to prove to themselves..Jets can win this…If they play a straight up physica, aggressivel man against man game…They have better skill players, That should be the difference…If Mangini and the OC get cute and try to finese this team it’s a loss

15. By Peyton, WI on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

Randy, after talking to the players with all their aches and pains, did you get any feeling from them as how they feel about tomorrow’s game? Was there any excitement or calmness among the players in the locker room? And I also agree with you about the players and Mangini getting the weekly awards. Maybe they are waiting to see the outcome of this game to present the awards to Jets. Go Jets!!

16. By Howard on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

work it out go hit some one good thing for those hot and cold tubs
    LETS GO WIN A GAME

17. By sal on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

The way they been ditributing the ball, to all of the recivers, they should be fresh,is bubba Franks redy yet, xtra tight end would be big for Farve, The addition of Law should make a difference, whats harris’s status, That would be big for the D

18. By Randy Lange on Nov 22, 2008 | Reply

Peyton, there’s definitely an excitement for the Jets about this game.

19. By walter on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

Hey randy. im glad these guys are doin thier best to prepare for this challenge.I think we could definetly pull off a win here.i have the faith in this team and im tired of hearing all the nay sayers pretty much ruling out the jets as a contender for the titans.bring it on and lets crush these guys i say.go jets

20. By supercooljetfan on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

i predict leon runs a kickoff back for a td

21. By sal on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

Randy, Where do the Jets stand as far as !st half points in the NFl?

22. By fljetfan on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

get your popcorn ready! jets start fast! they are as eager as we are having to wait 10 days for this game(climbing the walls). Game manager BF is the way this game will be won. Thats all we need because theres enough talent around him in my opinion, more than Tenn. I think BF plays smart and Law comes up big. finally 2 shutdown corners!! J.E.T.S. 27-20

23. By Drew on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

I would usually say we need to pound the ball to win this game but I have a feeling B-Schott and Favre are going to throw the ball ALOT today. Maybe some hurry up. They saw what the hurry up did to our D-line last week….We also need to put Collins on his tail. He has only been sacked 6 times!!! This guy is a statue….If we win this game can we be considered the best on the AFC??

24. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

Here’s what I say about today’s game .. If Tony R & maybe some Turner aren’t in the backfield protecting Brett & he gets sacked & no time to throw .. Empty backfield early & we lose this game it’s on coaching .. We need to adjust our sets to the strength of the Titans line .. & NO FREAKING PREVENT 3MAN RUSH or it will be the same old coach not to lose again

DECLINED: VULGARITY (FREAKING)

25. By Mike Brunetti on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

Today is the DAY FARVE strikes it big WAY down field ALL DAY LONG!!! the rest is HISTORY in the making

26. By David on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

Preparing for this game is essential to take the Titans out. The Jets need to be careful of being over agressive with this Tenesse team, and concentrate on protecting Bret Farvre. The play action fake has been the bread and butter for Tenesse. We need to read those keys correctly… EVERYTIME It will be interesting to see just how many Jets “fans” come out of the woodwork when we get the job done

27. By Randy Lange on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

sal, the Jets lead the NFL heading into this weekend with 175 first-half points.

28. By Ed in Tucson on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

Some posters suggest that beating the Titans is the first step to being #1 seed & HFA through playoffs. I think that’s too optimistic due to Ten’s remaining schedule. Pit & Ind are the toughest teams Ten will play, at worst they’ll be 3-2 down the stretch. The Jets will be 13-3 if they win out. It’s not that I don’t want to see it happen. But a 2 seed still gets us a 1st week bye. Go Jets!