• Fri., Aug. 22, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:20 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Giants Pregame Jets Insider Eric Allen will report LIVE from MetLife Stadium before tonight's pregame matchup vs the Giants.
  • Sun., Aug. 24, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 25, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

O-Line Showed Titans and Fans the Off Ramp

Posted by Randy Lange on November 23, 2008 – 11:13 pm

The LP Field visitors’ locker room is laid such that there are six lockers alongside each other on one wall. The Jets’ equipment people assigned those six lockers to offensive linemen, and five of them to the five OL starters, in order from left to right: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Alan Faneca, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore, Damien Woody.

And those five stood in front of those lockers after the Jets’ marvelous, satisfying 34-13 rout of the previously undefeated Titans at Tennessee, centurions to the last as they became one of the centers of attention for the postgame media horde.

This Jets victory was about the entire team, offense, defense and specialists, coaches and players, coming together to secure another eye-popping, jaw-dropping victory to improve to 8-3 and thrust their names into the ring of legitimate AFC playoff contenders.

But this story is about the O-line, rebuilt by Mike Tannenbaum and his staff, coached up by Eric Mangini and his staff, and inspired to new heights by themselves.

"Chemistry," explained RT Damien Woody.

"Enough’s not being said about the maturity level of this team," countered RG Brandon Moore.

Operating on several fronts, the line had its best day yet in helping these Jets make their latest bold step forward.

Led by center Nick Mangold’s masterful game going up against formidable DT Albert Haynesworth, they were a major reason for the avalanche of favorable numbers: 28 first downs, 192 rushing yards, 7-for-13 on third-down conversions, two sacks of Brett Favre (one of them a late zero-yarder), and an unconscionable 40:30 in possession time, all of which led to the offense hanging 34 points on what had been (but is no longer) the No. 1 scoring defense in the NFL.

And all of this achieved on the road in as hostile an environment as they come.

"As far as places I’ve played, and I’ve played here at times," pondered LG Alan Faneca, "you’d walk away saying this is the loudest place in the NFL. They have very smart fans here. They’re capable of making lots of noise. And I think us, by coming out and starting hot a little bit, maybe didn’t let them get ramped up."

That was the first specific contribution by the line, the first offensive drive of the game in which they pass-blocked flawlessly for Favre as he opened throwing, going 6-for-6, including the last completion, the 10-yard screen to Thomas Jones.

"That’s big, that’s big," said Woody of the Jets’ third consecutive first-drive TD and sixth straight first-drive score. "That’s something that we want to do — set the tone.

Another Oh!-line moment came late in the third, when the Jets were still clinging to a 10-point lead and desperately wanting to make it 17 on third-and-goal from the Titans 2. Head coach Eric Mangini loved the contributions of Favre and Laveranues Coles to that 2-yard pass into a small window.

"And the offensive line —they held up a long time on that play to give them the opportunity to make that play," said the coach.

About seven minutes of clock time after that, Leon Washington was off to the races with a 61-yard touchdown run, equaling the fourth-longest in franchise history.

"It was pretty hard early on. A lot of yards were hard to come by," Washington said. "But we kind of wore ‘em down in the third and fourth quarters. On that play, Damien and Brandon did a real good job of sealing the backside. I hit the hole one-on-one with the safety. That’s what I’m paid to do, make big plays like that. But I did the easy part. The hole was wide open."

Washington was right about the second-half holes. The Jets wound up with a rarity — a 100-yard rushing quarter — as they rolled up 105 yards in the fourth quarter, more than the previous three quarters combined. Here are the four 100-yard rushing quarters since 1998:

Year Opp. Qtr. Yards Final Score
 1998 vs. IND 2nd 129 Jets, 44-6
 1999 at OAK 3rd 117 Raiders, 24-23
 2004 vs. MIA 3rd 103 Jets, 41-14
 2008 at TEN 4th 105 Jets, 34-13

That kind of domination, along with the two fourth-quarter interference calls by Chris Carr trying to cover Laveranues Coles, had the Titans in a helmet-throwing, combative mood and that aforementioned loud crowd in a foul mood.

"I think the situation at the end was a little bit unfortunate," fullback Tony Richardson said. "I have a lot of friends on the other sideline. There’s a lot of jawing and stuff like that. I think you really don’t want to get into all that. But obviously the fans were frustrated with some of the calls. Early on we were frustrated with some of the calls. One thing we wanted to try to do was keep our composure and just continue to keep playing ball."

"I don’t know why they were booing," said Faneca. "I was trying to figure that out. They were booing when they stopped us for a yard gain. Anytime you’re able to take the ball down the field and disrupt what the other team’s trying to do and they know what you’re trying to do, and the fans are doing what they’re doing, it’s a fun time."

And a fun time was had by all — all on the Jets O-line and all who were wearing green and white, that is.

Here are the 10 games in the last 25 seasons in which the Jets have had at least 40 minutes of possession time and more than double that of their opponents:

Year Opp. Jets TOP Opp. TOP Final Score
 2008 at TEN 40:30 19:30 Jets, 34-13

Jets-Titans: First Half

Jets-Titans: Second Half

Jets Rule Supreme over Titans, 34-13

Defense Buys into the System; Titans Latest to Pay

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

52 Responses to “O-Line Showed Titans and Fans the Off Ramp”

1. By chekov on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

Wow, go jets they need to keep this up. Hey Randy, I don’t want to say it but boy they looked alot like the packers of last year, Don’t you think? quick throws and occasional deep balls, 100+ yards on the ground to control the game. go brett and the jetsssssss

2. By Xavion on Nov 23, 2008 | Reply

Great Game today this should put the league on notice about Us noone was giving us any chance going into this game although we matched up great with the Titans i was Watching Keyshawn on Sunday countdown this morning talking about how Kerry Collins didnt have to do much to win the game saying Tenn RB would dominate but not realizing we have #4 rush D. Hey KEY 45 yards thats Domination.

3. By jak, 17 wk jet fan on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

good job by whole team for yet another game. nice to see Laveranues Coles with a td this week. o line were monsters today.wow fans booed ,but the calls were good…wheres that tennessee fan who posted on this site?..JETS WENT TO NASHVILLE AND SHUT YOUR TEAM DOWN. . WAY TO GO JETS!!!!!

4. By Drew on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Jenkins/Faneca has raised the level of talent on each line so much. Both lines played great again….. Nice job by TJ working for yards today. While Leon is scary good. All the WR’s and TE’s ate up that D…..Revis is a complete lockdown. Another stout job by Barton. Favre is just magic now that he knows the offense. Its hasnt been easy being a Mangini defender but this is as good as it gets!!!!

5. By james on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

They think thats the loudest stadium in the NFL? just wait untill they come home this sunday against denver, and better yet those home playoff games or maybe a jets gaints suberbowl; the meadowlands is going to be the loudest staduim in the NFL.

6. By jak, 17 wk jet fan on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

good team work again jets. well done.also as of today brett favre is the only qb thats over 70 percent in pass completions. 70.6 j garcia 2nd at 69.8

7. By Rush on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

It takes a Jet to stop a Titan.

8. By Justin on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I woke up at 4am Sydney Time, and watched the most complete game of football I have seen in a while. The Jets are not only playoff contenders, but are legitimate Superbowl contenders. Guys, you keep getting me up early on Monday Mornings, but when its a result like this, I am only too happy to.. Keep going Jets!!!!!! J E T S

9. By uncle joe on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

That Green & White light on the radar screen,the one that keeps getting bigger and brighter each week,keeps getting closer no matter what you throw at it,Yeh that’s US.Can you see us now,Are we CLEAR to YOU?

10. By Tasdog on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

won $100 on my jets, to my boss and co-workers how u like me now, got one more bet for u jets in super bowl

11. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

WE lead the league in drives of 5 Min’s & over that’s a direct result of good game planning & good execution .. Coaching gets A plus for sure & mangini I believe learned the way to beat the best is 2 keep the pressure on all game .. The guy’s are playing with a passion I haven’t seen from a jet team in a long time it all started after the KC game , When Jenkins layed it on players 2 step it up

12. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

..Drew I feel you .. But give it A rest the whole team is executing game plan schotty gets credit for the schemes on offence & players for the execution… Yes I agree mangini finally finally coached the D to win the game & kept the heat on the QB .. Now lets hope he keeps the pedal to the metal .. Simms & schein nice to see you sucking up now …. Hypocrites in your face

13. By Charles D on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Randy and Fellow fans,
    I ran into a fan on Long Island last night (about 1 mile from Hofstra) and he and I expressed our joy about the team! The Jets have several weapons and are finally showing their true potential. Defense first, running second, and passing third. I think we can see more good things to come. Go Jets!

14. By jeena on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I was wearing my NY JETS sweatshirt in Trader’s Joes last week and I heard a worker shout at me “Tennessee is going to beat them on Sunday!” and he went on to stay the Jets aren’t ready to be champs this year! Thank you, thank you, to all Jet players for proving him wrong, you are champs already! Brett, you have millions of excited Jets fans pulling for you on every throw, God Bless
    the Jets!

15. By uncle joe on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Haynesworth and Kevin Mawae got beat up pretty good yesterday!

16. By uncle joe on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

If it’s for medical reasons,then I do apalogize but,why did Jeff Fisher wear sun glasses yesterday?You can’t tell me that his vision of the game is not somewhat impaired sporting sunglasses.You think watching your team get beat up at home he would take the glasses off but,maybe he was better off being blindfolded so he wouldn,’t have to see it at all!

17. By uncle joe on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Leon is due for a BIG PAYDAY!Just like I said Elam would make his weekly big play turnover.45 yards rushing,and THE HITMAN wasn’t even there!Another strong game by Barton.Who does Collins think he is testing Revis early?

18. By uncle joe on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Dear Mr. Bloomberg,you formally welcomed Farve into our City.If he does in fact lead us to a SuperBowl victory,I think it is only right that you make some sought of accomodations for the GreenBay fans that he brought with him to enjoy in the parade.Maybe even give one of those “Keys to the City” to GB Packers management!

19. By ddh on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

How does a man the size of Jenkins playing nt get to the side lines and tackle a receiver ? the individual effort and team play by all concerned seemed magical, and well worth waiting for. and like the spider to the fly, lets welcome the broncos on in, GO JETS !!!!!!!!

20. By Frank on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Mega Kudos to Mangini and the coaching staff. Great game plan and more importantly they PLAYED TO WIN! They kept the pressure up right until the very end. Love the 3rd down call on the last offensive possession leading to the final TD. I said it all along this team will go the distance if the coaching staff continues to call games this way not like last week. Jenkins & Favre are the heart and soul

21. By ackim on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I told people to give Brett time to learn the offence, now we see. The jets have soo many new people on offence they needed time. Big Boy JENKINS he is the big man in the middle we needed. The entire team is playing good even with harris out going on for weeks now, I really though we would of missed him on the field but the team has played great. Harris will be needed in the next couple of week.

22. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Needs to be said.. As I watched interviews this week & last with our players they gave the other teams accolades & credit & were humble in wins .. Then watched there interviews with players & coaches not 1 yes not 1 word on how we played & beat them fair & square gave us no respect .. Well let me say this that’s a refection of how they are coached yes I said it .. On & off the field all class

23. By kaya on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Where are those Titans fans who talk smack last week? I guess we won’t here from them for a while. Nice win, keep it up. Take it one game at a time and keep preparing well. It could only get better. Thanks Jets for this victory!!

24. By Ken on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I keep telling u guys that OFFENSE starts with the OFFENSIVE LINE and WRs BLOCKING! That is basic Football 101. A big part of Y the JETS offense have been having these LONG 5 to 6 min offensive dirves down field & the JETS RUNNING game is so much BETTER is the BLOCKING of the OFFENSIVE LINE, TE & WRs. Vince Lombardi always preached the BASICS! Y do u think the GAINTS r so good, (OFFENSIVE LINE)

25. By Dublin Jet Niall on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Just visited the Titans website for their perspective. Lot of class being shown by Fisher,Collins & Vanden Bosch. Sure they got well beat but they’re not whining about injuries,dubious calls or dropped catches-just acknowledging the excellent job the Jets did and the fact we were worthy victors. Bit different from those up Boston direction! BTW Cassel’s perf.yest. puts last week in perspective,no?

26. By Tim on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

RANDY, can u get MORE interviews with the OFFENSIVE LINEMEN? A lot of people DON’T seem to understand the basics of football & how IMPORTANT the OFFENSIVE LINE is to BLOCKING for the QB and the RBs. Randy can u do MORE INTERVIEWS with **(ALL)** of the JETS “O” linemen; even the Back up “O” linemen? WE JETS fans need to make the “O” linemen feel like STARS! We need to get a **(NAME)** for them!

27. By Charlie on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

“Any givin Sunday”, thats what they say right? Well I say Every givin sunday. We were the only team that Tenn. played this year and they got punched in the mouth. Sad thing is is that they are still going to have a 13+ win season and lose in the second round. We’ve beaten creditable teams and still have 2 division games left. Unless Pitt falls of the wagon we will have to fight through thePlayoff

28. By patrick leibel on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

The Jets made a huge statement on sunday, but there is still no love for Gang Green. It angers me a bit that we are “flying under the radar” at 8-3 and tied for second in the conference (1st in AFC east). Where is the respect, I mean honestly have you seen the pre-game show panels, all doubters. Most hate is coming from neon deion. I demand respect for what this team has done and continues to do.

29. By russ on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Great game no feelings of imminent disaster..total control…Would like to see blitz packages be more effective seems they are easy to pick up and we give up big gains…

30. By MikeMc on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Frank is “mega Kudos ” a homage to Rush ?

31. By Jesse on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

B.Schott came up with a great game plan against Tenn., as well as for the past couple weeks. I’m really happy that he is really finding different ways for us to run the ball to keep teams off balance. He has been getting a lot criticism and he really just deserves all the praise! He has the 2nd highest scoring offense in the league right now behind the Giants. Great job B.Schott.!

32. By Steven on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Russ… Actually yesterday when we blitzed Kerry Collins was only 3 for 14 for 17 yards… its when we dropped into prevent that we gave up big plays. Not that I can complain too much, but we pretty much let them get their only touchdown. Our blitz packages have been effective all year, we’ve finally started to do it more.

33. By Drew on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I love that we havent gotten any respect from the media. I wouldnt want it any other way. Great point by Dublin regarding Cassel. He destroyed the Dolphin defense yesterday in a tight game. Not the prevent he did against us. Maybe he is a legit?? Which was better?? Watching our O-line just beat up the vaunted Titan D? Or Jenkins & Co just eating up the Titan run game?? Smiled all game!!!!!

34. By Rick Roucoulet on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Hey Patrick, I actually enjoy it when the JETS fly under the radar-I know they deserve much credit but it turns my stomach when they have a decent run & suddenly you see many new JET hats, jerseys ect.. I enjoy only now & then coming across a die hard fan such as myself whos there threw thick & thin unlike those bandwagon teams that shall go unnamed (PATRIOTS) lol – Theres a bond w/real JET fans

35. By Tom Spicer on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

What a game the Jets are legit super bowl contenders

36. By Tom Spicer on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Next week the Pats play Pitt if we win our game vs Denver we are set. If the Pats lose even if Miami & the Bills win we will have a 2 game lead on all of them with 4 games to play & if Pitt loses we would have the number 2 seed in the AFC with 4 games to go & we would control our own destiny.

37. By davetharave on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Some thoughts for the coaching staff:

> Abandon the ‘prevent defense’

> More ‘west-coast’ type offense please . . suits Favre perfectly. Work up some more plays with B. Smith taking snaps

Fans . . . we’re on top of the world. Enjoy it

38. By Anthony on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I was beyond amazed at what I saw yesterday. The jets played with tons of heart,discipline, and you could see their enthusiasm. I am proud to have always been a Jet fan . I hope we can continue what we are doing Sunday. Denver is the next priority …Keep up the good work..J-E-T-S

39. By viveca on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Yes, we can!! These are not the same old Jets.! Mangini and Tannenbaum have produced a team we can be proud of. I used to sit a bite my nails wondering when my guys would mess up again. Now I expect wins no matter who we play. What a difference!

40. By JR on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

What a game!!! Glad I stayed at home and watched it on the big tv. You really can get a good idea of how hard these guys played! What heart and total complete teamwork. This is a true team and reminds me of the great old days…keep it up…you are alll awesome….thanks! J E T S … JETS, JETS , JETS!!1

41. By Jared on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Lets give some love to Bill Callahan. Maybe not a good head coach but he has done wonders coaching up our O-line. Plus, does anybody think that TJ is a bust still? Didnt think so. The guy is a Curtis Martin clone. Quiet, great vision, someone who wont break 80 yard TD’s but will grind and grind and grind. His hard work and conditioning makes him a beast in the 2nd half. Keep giving him the ball

42. By Larry T on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Randy, Did you see Eric Bartons attempted cheap shot. This guy is a dirty player that already all most cost us a playoff win( remember the roughing the quarterback call). It’s jsut a matter of time before he gets a personal foul penalty to cost the jets big time.

43. By Armand Lombari on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I am just so damm happy my former packer great is having so much fun and winning is just great and i dont really know who’s whos fault it was why he didnt stay a packer but i am just glad so far id say he made the right choice and I also am glad that thomason made the choice he made.(Along w praying for my brother who just past on a lighter note i pray for Brett and team to just continue).

44. By Larry on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

That was about as flawless 60 min of football as it gets. Great job by players and coaches alike. Brilliant O game plan to take away what the Titans do best. Cant say enough about the way they spread the field and dominated the clock. Ive been critical of coaches but this was beautiful!!! Keep this up and we get a 1st round bye!!!

45. By jacque on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

i went to the game on sunday & i was amazed @ how awesome the jets were. the titans just stood there & watched. they could barely catch a pass. what was really funny about the whole game was the fact you’d think that the titans fans would be crazy but as soon as it was going downhill fror them they all left. by the time the game was over all the titans fans were all gone.

46. By Jey on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Now that was a complete game!! Offense, defense and special teams. I especially liked how the pass rush kept Collins off. J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS.

47. By Alan on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I can’t believe the Jets are this good without Justin Miller! LoL

48. By terry on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

As a lifelong packer fan, I hope the jets can go all the way and win the super bowl. I really miss waching farve every week, nobody in wisconsin would ever quit watching a game ever, because when farve was in, they could be behind 35-0 at the half, and believe that brett would somehow bring them back to win with 22 seconds left! I really miss having #4 at the controls, interceptions and all.

49. By Ryan on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

It’s great to see that all of the potential the Jets had during the preseason and first part of the season has grown into such a formidable and well rounded team! It’s great to be a Jets fan in Buffalo this year!

50. By Glen on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

You can’t say enough about the attitude of the players. The Mrs. and I were amazed at watching Jenkins running all over the field on plays that were well away from the line of scrimmage. It’s that kind of heart and ‘never say die’ attitude that’s going to make this team into a perennial dominant force in the NFL.

51. By Glen on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

The Jets will be favored in their last 5 games. Pit plays @NE, Dal, @Bal, @Ten, Cle. Ten plays @Det, Cle, @Hou, Pit, @Ind. We will likely be the 2 seed, could be the 1 seed if Pit and Ind payed attention to our clinic on how to scheme Ten. Ind and NE are playing solid now and could knock off Ten in the playoffs, giving us home field adv. It’s going to be an exciting sprint to the Super Bowl.

52. By Eric Skeens on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

I was at this game last year me and the other 4 jets fans, this year there was
    probably around 3000 jets fans, what a difference favre makes, I say that because 2500 of those fans had on green bay favre jerseys?
    GO J E TS