• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

LYONS: Consistency Shining Through

Posted by jetsstaff on November 24, 2008 – 10:19 am

Wow, back-to-back wins on the road. First against last year’s AFC champions, the New England Patriots, and Sunday against undefeated Tennessee. You’re now 8-3 and there’s only one team with a better record than the one you’ve got in the AFC, and guess what — it’s the team you beat yesterday, the Titans at 10-1.

Last week one of the responses to my blog was from a lady named Diane. She said, "Consistency, Marty". Well, Diane, here it is:

Consistency — Winning their last five games in a row.

Consistency — Outscoring their opponents in the five wins, 169-88.

Consistency — Winning the fourth quarter, scoring a total of 98 points so far. In ’07 they scored a total of 73 points, and the ’08 Jets still have five games left.

Consistency — The Jets are tied for third in the NFL with most players with 15 or more receptions.

Consistency — They’re first in the NFL in ball-control five-minutes drives with 27.

Consistency — The defense has held six opponents to under 50 yards rushing for the game.

Consistency — The defense is first in the NFL with the most players with at least a half sack.

Consistency — The defense is first in the NFL in forced fumbles with 16.

Need I say more? This team is for real. To win five games in a row, you have to play physical football, and they do. To be 8-3 after 11 games, you have to play smart football, and they do. To have the second-best record in the AFC after 11 games, you have to have players and coaches who believe in one another and trust in one another, and they do.

That’s CONSISTENCY.

Now that Jets fans have seen consistency, they want more. BEAT DENVER.

Let’s not forget that Thursday is Thanksgiving. Remember the words of Barbara Bush: "Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people — your family, friends and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way."

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Tags: ,
Posted in Marty Lyons | 57 Comments »

57 Responses to “LYONS: Consistency Shining Through”

1. By BIG AL on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

what a game took control from the 1st drive read the posts earlier and it is the truth they dont give the jets respect or credit. we could win the superbowl and they find a reason to fault us makes me sick! but that wont stop me from enjoying that whoop *** we gave the 10-0 titans we played them head on and controled the game.. wished miami won cant stand NE great win for our NEW YORK JETS!!!!!!!!

2. By uncle joe on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Hey Barbera Bush, what’s the Jets’ yardstick of success after the way they treated the Titans yesterday?What’s our identity,The Predator!,able to adapt to any environment to destroy the enemy.Yeh I like that,I like the way that sounds,The Predator.

3. By BIG AL on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

MARTY all i can say after reading that is WOW you sum it up big time pal and i believe the JETS know theres something special going on right now and brett favre is a true players player looks real good for GANG GREEN and you too Mr. Lyons HAPPY THANKS GIVING

4. By FrankieJoe on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Great stats… Marty… and this is w/o Harris (who was leading tackler when he went down)over the last 4 games on def which we should be getting him back… JETS could end up 13-3, w/TN having Pitt & Ind yet to play, if we stay focused we could be playing for homefield throughout because we would move to #1 in tie w/TN right?

5. By dhines on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I am such a Brett F. fan and now a Jets fan and loved every minute of the game yesterday. Go Jets. I agree with the great consistency stuff. I like the game plan and the defense looks awesome. Good for them, coaches, staff, and players. Let’s keep this going guys. Hopefully no one was hurt yesterday but I’m not sure. Anyway, we really need to beat the Broncos!!

6. By ralph hoffman on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Go JEts i believe we will end up 12-4 with a afc championship playing the giants for the battle of new york in the big game score being 31-13 Jets win

7. By Ken on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Marty Lyons, you are SO RIGHT when you quoted these words. “Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people, your family, friends and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way”. These are WORDS we should **(ALL)** live by. Treat EVERYONE with RESPECT! No matter what their SKIN COLOR, ethnicity, gender or social stat.

8. By MikeMc on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Been away for awhile my daughter had some complications with her pregnancy, but i’m happy to report my daughter, her husband & my new grand-daughter are doing fine. So I am now “Grandpa Mike Mc”, Ava Rose,2.3lbs(9weeks premature) Thank God for modern medicine.I was able to watch the game & I think this completes Franks 4 game Mangini test, & mega Kudos given by Frank. Drew, the haters are no more.

9. By uncle joe on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Can we please stop that WildCat stuff.My heart stopped when B.Smith tossed the ball back to Leon.That never works and is a disaster waiting to happen.It could go the other way everytime.We don’t need that,we have Farve.That is only for teams with QBs that have a week arm like Miami.

10. By Marty Lyons on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

FrankieJoe, assuming it’s a two-way tie and not a three-way tie for the top seed, yes, the Jets now hold the first tiebreaker over the Titans, which is head-to-head.

11. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Best part is were winning these games without our big blocking TE”s & the hit man Harris .. Favre’s protection will be better when they come back ,all though Keller needs to be in every game & Bowens playing outstanding.. With the talent level on this team sky’s the limit .. No let downs & we go all the way they need 2 stay hungry angry & focused ..Think Favre & Jenkins will remind them everyday

12. By Ira on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Marty,
    Great numbers and those type of numbers can add up to a Championship team. They must continue the consistent play and look to improve each week.Denver is going to be a tough matchup because of their passing game. Don’t go by them getting beat bad by the Raiders. The Jets will still have to bring their A game to win. Marty, Happy Thanksgiving

13. By True Jets Fan19 on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I’ve always been a Jets fan, through the good and bad times. This year i think they can make it all the way, they just gotta keep playing the way they do. Thier defense is tight, and the offense is scoring, si we have wat it take s to win it all, but we still have 5 more games left, so lets take it one by one.. GO JETS!!!

14. By uncle joe on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Hey MikeMC,it’s a majical year my friend,all around.Congrats to you and yours,alot to be Thankful for this year.Special year man,Special Year.

15. By jak, 17 wk jet fan on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Consistency is right marty..i would also add resilient as well. the pats game was tough but we hung in there.i think pats r the strongest threat in afc to the jets . i think thell beat pittsburg,but lose to cardinals,and may get a wildcard berth.weeks down the road but we need to shore up our defensive strategy against a possible plyoff pats.

16. By Southernlady on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Now you see what adding heart and talent can do for a team? There’s a ton of talent on the Jets team and when Brett got there with his can-do attitude others started buying in and now here we are. I think everyone is really coming together as a team and I am loving watching it. Now maybe people will back of Brett and let him be the hall-of-famer he was meant to be.

17. By Anthony on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Happy Thanksgiving to you Marty and all the Jets and football fans. I really have seen the heart from this team I have my whole life really longed to see. I think there continuing effort has been great and not to say any of the jets I have watched don’t haver heart but we are showing more now then ever… And I hope we continue this on versuses Denver.

18. By MikeMc on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Glad to hear all the excited fans, I’m definately one of them. I am not going to get ahead of myself though, I’m going to take it 1 game at a time just like Mangini, so no Div, playoff or superbowl talk out of me, all I will say is so far so good. We control our own destiny, no time to rest on our laurels we need to give our full attention to Denver& their passing attack,but today we enjoy victory

19. By CMP on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Hey Randy great win just wondering when will Harris be back and is Jenkins ok he looked in pain after he rolled his ankle.GO JETS.

20. By vjmoney on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Im glad the Jets proved everybody wrong. All week long I had to read about how the Jets got lucky in New England and that they didn’t have a chance in Tennesee. Haters and doubters can’t make excuses anymore. The Jets are for real. I love the job Eric Mangini is doing. He keeps them humble, honest, and he and Mike T. run a first class operation. Ive been bleeding green for 30 years.GO JETS!

21. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Hey mikey mc Congrats to your daughter & becoming a grand dad I’ve been blessed 3 times its great, best part is you can love & spoil them then go home lol . Now put up your dukes & lets get back at it

22. By Drew on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Congrats the our Jets and our very own Grandpa MikeMc. I happen to think that Marty has been our good luck charm…LOL Keep it up Marty and lets go get the 2 seed and make our run.

23. By jak, 17 wk jet fan on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

everyone played great yesterday. [im more of a pass fan.] t. jones got stopped a few times .but really made the 2nd effort,with determination on a few runs that were w payton like .good job thomas. Laveranues Coles how he runs so hard without fumbling amazes me.he refuses to go down and im scared for him.w payton like indeed. outa space to comment on more plyers now

24. By JOHNNYJET on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

I’M STILL SITTING IN FRONT OF MY TV IN SHOCK AND CRYING OF TRUE JETS HAPPINESS.!!! I HOPE THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF SOMETHING SPECIAL THAT WILL END ON FEB 1ST IN TAMPA AGAINST I DON’T CARE WHO!!! GO JETS MAKE ME PROUD SOME MORE!!

25. By sal on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

they consintantly improve every week, consitantly speeking whad up w/ Baker formerly the Td maker. got a new contract and disapeared, Dropped a few passes, exspecialy the NE game which killed a drive. Not the same, pullin a Johnny Mitchell or just a bad stretch?

26. By Dublin Jet Niall on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

MikeMc, congrats Grandad. Glad everything worked out for you and yours. Deo gratis/Buíochas le Dia. Now bring on Cutler’s crew-we’re gonna eat ‘em for breakfast!!

27. By Ira on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Leon’s last 2 rushing TD’s have gone for 60 yds vs the Chiefs and 61 yds vs the Titans. Randy, I don’t think any Jet RB has ever had back to back TD runs of that distance at any point in a season.

28. By Henry Giordano on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Yes sir. You are right when you say Consistency…… I still have one more question… Is this the New York Jets!!?
    haha. they’re looking great.

29. By Richard on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Hey, Marty: This is my first kick at the cat as a transplant from Green Bay to the Jets, who have good sense, good coaching, good players, and good fans!! One thing to add to your consistency list: inspired football. thanks

30. By Marty Lyons on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

CMP, no word from Coach Mangini on David Harris at today’s news conference. Kris Jenkins said the reason he was in pain and left the game for a short while was because he got cleated.

31. By Marty Lyons on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Ira, you’re reading my mind, or I’m reading yours. There will be a note about Leon Washington’s two long runs this year in my next Radar entry, which will be up around 5 p.m. EST.

32. By fljetfan on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

what a season uh? this team is truly inspiring me of late. farve has been fantastic and make no mistake we are in better shape with him then if we had chad but this is a all around solid football team. farve is a very important piece of a puzzle that the coaches have put together as well as mr t. i killed them after the oak. loss shame on me.protect BF and he will bring us home no dought in mind!!

33. By Larry on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Southernlady. We have faced atruckload of adversity for 40 years. weve been a laughing stock, weve been so close we could taste it to be denied. Every year is THE YEAR WE COULD SHINE. I was hardly able to contain myself when we got Brett. Cloud 9 for days. But with all due respect dont say the JETS or their fans didnt have heart before he got here. Theyre real big and run on green blood.

34. By fljetfan on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

i just wanted to add how proud i am to be a JETS fan. as far as next week denver has no shot. write it down wouldnt be suprised if they put a 50 burger on that D cutler will get his but no way its enough there not a good team and the jets will win

35. By supercooljetfan on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

i dont know why but im more nervous about this denver game then i ever was at the titan game….after watching the post game on sny jenkins looks like a cool dude glad we got him

36. By lasvegasjet on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

This feels surreeal. I have been a Jet fan for over 40 years now and it has been a long time coming. I was so proud of this team yesterday! They played a complete game, and did it well. It was a well managed game, controlling the ball 2:1. Favre had pinpoint darts out there. Only he could pass on his back foot going in the opposite direction in less than 1.5 seconds. Great game for all.

37. By BleedingGreen on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Great Win in tenn! and happy thanksgiving randy! Im loving this short game attack.. BUt i think we have to give some credit to this offensive line. IM seeing great blocking all over the place. And great play calling as well..these coaches are stepping up..i know that eric called the game in buffalo but im not sure about this one. I feel good about this sunday but i just hope its not a trap game!!!

38. By Anonymous on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

When you want to teach ball controll you need to watch this win over Tenn. This was by far the best the Jets have played for a long long time & we’ve had many great games this season. The team has finally come together & is looking like a team that can go far into the playoffs. Leon & Brett &.the O & D lines & receiving corp are amazing.Offseason moves are really paying off!Now go beat the Denver

39. By Ira on Nov 24, 2008 | Reply

Just a few notes after watching the tape of the game. Gholston was the most active i have scene him all year. He was in on a few tackles and forced Collins out of the pocket and to throw the ball away. Maybe its starting to click for him. And my man Elam is just a pure playmaker.Besides that FF he was so active in tackles and being around the ball. And Barton is having a great season. GO JETS!!!

40. By Terry on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

supercooljetsfan, I feel the same way,
    Idk why, but I was supremely confident that we were going to beat the Titans all week and from the first drive on Sunday, but for whatever reason I have an uneasy feeling about Denver. Must be I’m just waiting for the same old jets to come back. Hopefully, they prove this post to be completely ridiculous on Sunday, and show the same old jets rgone for good!!

41. By Larry on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

Marty, We as Jets fans have not seen this kind of enthusiasm and sheer domination of teams since the Jets New york Sack Exchange Days!! I have been a huge fan of the Jets since 1976 and I must say that the Jets of 2008 are for real! Great job Jets and keep up the great work, your fans really do appreciate your hard work!!!! Happy Thanksgiving fellow jets fans!!!

42. By MikeMc on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

Thanks guys !!! Mike Jetvet, I’m a McC so my “Dukes” are always up, just ask Dublin Jet Niall, his “Dukes” are up too! Drew I hope I didn’t leave you on an Island last week fighting the “negative Nancies” those issues are buried after huge road wins.Is anyone concerned about our pass defense vs. Denver’s pass attack? Ira your right , Gholston was sighted almost making a play, thats progress.

43. By wayne on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

This team’s consistency will be tested on Sunday vs Denver. Will they step up and crush a team they should easily beat with ball control, down hill play calling or will they get cute and let a dangerous Broncos team beat them with their only weapon; their passing game. This next game will tell more about this team than any they’ve played so far……Same old Jets?????

44. By Charlie D on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

Fans and Ira!
    I completly agree and I can tell you that I have been so happy the past few weeks especially Sunday. I had a strong feeling before the season started that we would be great and now we are truly on our way. Go Jets!

45. By LarryMcDonaldSupporter on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

Marty quotes Barbara Bush. Her husband wants a “new world order.” The Bush familiy is a very evil one. Both George H.W. and George W. are members of a secret society called The Order of Skull and Bones. Read Sutton’s “America’s Secret Establishment” for more information.

DECLINED: POLITICAL COMMENT

46. By CD on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

The Jets seem to be doing almost everything right, yet the media still does not give them much love. Deon Sanders still thinks the Titans are are a better team than the Jets, He says the Titans just had a bad day. Well, I guess the next 5 games will tell, won’t they Mr. Sanders. Way to go Jets, on to the Broncos!

47. By Row on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

Good quote Randy. Congrats MikeMc on being a grandpa. Happy thanksgiving everyone! I still wish we could play the Cowboys this year on thanksgiving. Go Jets

48. By blaksmith86 on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

i really dont think that we (jets) will lose tha rest of these games honestly,if we lose one it is this wekek @ denver but thats is all afta that,as far as the broncos they dont pose a real threat expect through the air, i know we dont have tha best pass coverage in tha league but i think law and revis starting together will change that, they cant run the ball a lick,and their total defense is bad

49. By Frank on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

Breaking News Bulliten…This just in….There has been a Big Mc and Little Mc sighting…Grand Pappy Mikey Mc has been relegated to diaper duty and will be unable to attend the game this weekend. I repeat Pappy Mike will not be making the game this week he will be busy with “Wet Ones” and “Pampers”…Congrats on the little one.

50. By Drew on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

MikeMc…It was almost like a week off after the big NE win. The haters were quiet. We certainly heard nothing after this huge one. You had a great excuse to leave me alone and I had some backup in your absence. Congrats again. I have zero concerns about Denver’s passing attack. They cant run the ball and cant stop the run. Marshall, Cutler etc will do some but their O will never be on the feild

51. By walter on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

what a win for us huh? im so stoked right now im at a loss for words.just curius…hey blacksmith86..what do you mean we dont have the best pass coverage?are you watching the right team? law ,revis and lowry are unstoppable!!!!!! bring on the broncos we are more than ready for a big W.go jets jets jets

52. By walter on Nov 25, 2008 | Reply

Hey randy i was just wondering about jenkins….they said he was getting kind of run down after the third quarter and they would start to use him more concervative. have you heard anything about that?i dont wanna lose our pass rush.

53. By Eric on Nov 26, 2008 | Reply

As I read these articles I can only think back to preseason when I read predictions on how the season was going to end up for the Jets. Predictions were fairly consistent putting the jets at 7-9 for the season. As a Packer fan and a Favre fan, I knew those numbers were very low. I am pulling for a New York superbowl and I hope to see the Jets come away with a very memorable season. GO Jets!

54. By Marty Lyons on Nov 26, 2008 | Reply

Walter, I’ve heard nothing about that.

55. By Southernlady on Nov 26, 2008 | Reply

Larry, I was saying what Leon Washington said on ESPN. He said that Brett’s heart and attitude was effecting the team. Not just Brett’s attitude but some of the other players too. All I am saying is when you start believing you can it makes a big difference it puts your hope that you have had all these years into action. I was trying to offend any Jets fans, Larry, take it easy.

56. By Southernlady on Nov 26, 2008 | Reply

Make that I WAS NOT TRYING TO OFFEND ANY JETS FANS!!!!! GOOD GRIEF. I FEEL LIKE CHARLIE BROWN.LOL

57. By iowachick on Nov 26, 2008 | Reply

I see more & more why Brett is a legend. He has learned how to win with the Jets and adapted his play. He is not putting up big numbers, and is patient as the Jets grind down the clock and control the field. They truly are a balanced team with ever componet, offense, defense, sp teams palying a crucial role in the win. The whole team playing with the heart and soul of a future HOFer.