• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Jenkins as Defensive MVP? Food for Thought

Posted by Randy Lange on November 27, 2008 – 6:03 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all Jets fans checking in for your Green & White update tonight, and especially to Kris Jenkins, who offered some glowing holiday thoughts on his turkeylicious season during his guest appearance on CBS’ special edition of "The NFL Today."

"It’s great to be up here in New York," Jenkins told the crew from the fieldhouse at the Atlantic Health Training Center this morning. "I love the fans, I love the environment. I just appreciate the new beginning. So for me, Thanksgiving’s beautiful and I’m gonna enjoy this."

Jenkins also seemed to enjoy the banter when Dan Marino popped the question that more than a few are asking of the big nose tackle this season: "Do you feel like you’re Defensive MVP this year?"

"Uhhhh … I don’t like when y’all put questions like that on my plate. I’ll get in trouble for it," Big Jenk laughed. "Honestly, I’ve never been the type of player that really pays attention to all of that stuff. If I get accolades, cool, more power, but I was surprised honestly this year when I got Player of the Week."

Jenkins got the AFC Defensive POW award for looming large in the Week 9 win at Buffalo. It was perhaps a harbinger of what is to come for the big man that Jets teammates and fans are embracing.

Former Pittsburgh boss Bill Cowher seems convinced. After the Jenkins conversation ended, James Brown asked Cowher if Jenkins is the favorite for the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year honor.

"No question about it," said Cowher, having stepped out of his lab coat for this Thanksgiving appearance. "This guy right now is playing like a man possessed. He is leading that defense and he is the best defensive player in the National Football League."

"James Harrison from the Pittsburgh Steelers?" Boomer Esiason kibitzed from his wing position on the set. "You forget those guys already?"

Cowher shrugged off Boomer’s reminder like Jenkins shrugs off double-teams.

"I’m gonna tell you," he said, "this guy’s having that type of year."

Here at newyorkjets.com, we are not a Website to disagree.

And for a funny take on Fireman Ed from Jenkins, see Wednesday’s player interview transcripts, which we posted this morning to give you something to chew on today besides turkey in all its various forms.

Titan-ic Recovery

It was good to see the Tennessee Titans shake off the decisive home loss to the Jets last week, although it wasn’t pretty to see what they did to the still-winless Detroit Lions in today’s early-game 47-10 blasting.

I say it’s good to see that because it will help to keep the Jets’ attention should the teams meet up in Nashville again this season or perhaps even at the Meadowlands. There was nothing fluky about the Green & White’s 34-13 crushing of the Titans last Sunday, but the Titans will be a tough opponent should the teams meet again in January.

What was also neat to see was former Jets DE Dave Ball starring in this game. Ball has found a solid role with the now 11-1 Titans and he exploited it in the national spotlight with a 15-yard interception-return TD, which he ended with what can perhaps be called the Wild Turkey Dance — a leap over the goal line and two turkey-wing flaps of his arms before landing in the end zone and spiking the ball.

Considering this was Ball’s first career score, he either had a premonition he was going to take one unimpeded to the house vs. the Lions and thus worked on his routine secure in that advance knowledge, or he didn’t know anything of the sort and thus should be the favorite to get an ESPY for the season’s best spur-of-the-moment touchdown spike.

After victimizing Daunte Culpepper on that pick, he also had a strip-sack of backup Lions QB Drew Henson in the fourth quarter. Quite a holiday game for the aptly named Ball.

Injury Report

It was an unusual dark media day at the Jets’ new training complex with no player availability after today’s morning practice or at any other time during the players’ and coaches’ shortened work day before they got to observe the holiday with their loved ones.

The one bit of news is today’s injury report. No change on the Jets’ half of the report, and the only movement on the Broncos’ side was rookie WR Eddie Royal (toe), who was limited in today’s practice in Denver after not participating in Wednesday’s workout.

Tags: , , , ,

42 Responses to “Jenkins as Defensive MVP? Food for Thought”

1. By jak, 17 wk jet fan on Nov 27, 2008 | Reply

yes jenkins is having a great year.his bills game performance ,if not indelible ,will probably remain with me for at least a decade.detroit and seatle are fodder. i think college teams can beat the lions.of the 12 teams tenn played only 5 are above 500.pitt.n indy r their only real foes left.jets can take em in playoffs.tenn will probably lose their 1st playoff game anyway.

2. By Ira on Nov 27, 2008 | Reply

Randy, There are many reasons the Jets are a good team and the defense is starting to play very well. Elam makes a big difference because of his play making ability and aggressive play. As for Jenkins if this season continues the way its going i do agree Jenkins should be the NFL Defensive Player of the year. Sorry but i totally disagree with you about the Titans and i was hoping they would lose.

3. By Jusmos on Nov 27, 2008 | Reply

I think that Kris Jenkins Is one among a few in the NFL that Deserves it. There are a few others that have done really well. I do however think that Kris is a favorite among many people including myself. He has turned a Defense on a team that was 4-12 last year into a defense that can stop anyone and that is one major reason why the Jets are 8-3 this year. Great Job Jenkins keep it up!!!

4. By Tanner on Nov 27, 2008 | Reply

Happy Thanksgiving to all the other Jets fans out there and Randy. Saw the interview it was funny. Jenkins Definetely desereves a look at defensive player of the year.

5. By sal on Nov 27, 2008 | Reply

Happy Thanksgiving Randy, and fellow loyalists. Jenkins helped turn this season around, no doubt. cant wait to see Jenkins /Sapp conversation. the only bad thing today were the ballgames. Maybe the NFL should consider waitin till Nov to announce teams playing on bird day, terrible games, terrible teams.Made it till halftime of the Philly game, and that was it

6. By barbara on Nov 27, 2008 | Reply

YES, for jenks!!! also, i just emailed the NFL PRO BOWL, at NFL corporate to add jay feely to the pro bowl selection…if anyone else wants to email them then you can go to … http://www.nfl.com/contact-us, and request anyone that has been left off our list….

7. By Patrick on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Randy,what do you think about the Steeler/Patriot matchup.Is it better for the Steelers to win, to give the Jets more room for error in the east or is it better if the Patriots win so the jets can have the edge for the 2nd seed.I truly believe the Jets could win out,but you never know.What do you think.

8. By Anthony on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

No doubt Jenkins is having an incredible year. He plays with heart and ferocity and takes it to the other teams. I love watching the guy play and tear people up . Especially the Patriot O-line or the Tennesse O-line it was great to watch him body slam Mawae. Def. a big pick up and this jet fan is happy he is here playing for us.

9. By Dunnie on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

IRA … I think our secondary is completely suspect. They seem to get dismantled every week during the second half of games. I hope that the Law moves pays dividends … but I need to see some improvement here before I jump on the bandwagon whose license plate reads “SBX-LIII”.

10. By Randy Lange on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

I feel strongly both ways, Patrick. Would it be nice to get a leg up on Pittsburgh for top-two-seeds purposes? Yes, because at the moment the Jets and Steelers are both 8-3 and the Steelers have the edge in conference record (7-1 to 6-3). Would it be nice to open a 2(½)-game lead on the Patriots? Yes, because before all else the Jets need to win the AFC East. Sounds like dealer’s choice to me.

11. By wayne on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

I disagree that it was good to see the Titans win again. They were 10-0 when they got crushed.We need no further confirmation that the Jets are good. What the Jets could use though is about 3 more loses from the Titans to potentially get the one seed. That would be very large. The Giants were doubted all the way to SB win. Justifying a win? I hope thats not the Jets thinking, Lose Titans pls

12. By Randy Lange on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

My thinking, wayne and Ira, was that if the Titans are going to lose two more games this season, one of them would not be to the Lions. If the Titans did lose Thursday, the media and fan naysayers would belittle the Jets’ win in Nashville. And whether Tennessee looks good or bad the rest of the way, the Jets know they can take the Titans’ best shot. But it’s a free country. Disagree away.

13. By Ira on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

EA, Great to see you give Elam the credit he deserves. In my eyes is the most improved player of the year up unti lnow. And i expect him to continue to get better. He should’ve been starting since week #1.

14. By Jakeberk on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Once Harris gets back in the middle we will be impossible to run on. Barton played incredible against both New England and Tennessee and hopefully our leading tackler continues when Harris returns. By the Way, did the Titans even throw to Revis’ side last game?

15. By Ira on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Randy, I understand your thinking about the media down playing the Jets win if the Titans had lost to the Lions.But the fact was the Titans were 10-0 when the jets beat them. The Titans will lose to the Colts and Steelers. So there is a good chance the jets could get the #1 seed if they win out. I don’t want it to come down to the last week. 1 week at a time. Lets take care of the Broncos 1st.

16. By Ira on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Dunnie, The secondary is the last part of this team that will fianlly get it together for the home stretch. Now that Law is back there it will take 4 or so games for them to all be on the same page. Just in time for the playoffs.I do expect this game this week to be closer then most people think.

17. By bratt on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

I keep getting funny looks from non-Jet fans when I say that I think Jenks was a bigger pick-up for the team than Favre was. Not to belittle Favre in any way, he’s awesome. But what Jenks did for this defense is huge. There’s a noticeable difference when he’s not on the field. My wife asked if I wanted a #4 jersey for xmas. I said no…#77. GO JENKS!! U DA MAN!!!

18. By BIG AL on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

well put Randy they would absolutly down play the jets if lions won i am hoping for the steelers win simply because that gives the jets a dbl digit lead in th AFC East and i feel our chances with pittsburgh are better then with NE they just seem to play us tough, but first of 3 home games is denver we need to make another example. do we need all 5 wins to get 2nd seed how does that play out randy?

19. By Randy Lange on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

It’s still complicated, Big Al. Five wins would probably do it, unless Pittsburgh also runs the table and Tennessee stays a game ahead of the Jets. That’s one of several scenarios. Check back in a couple of weeks.

20. By LtPat on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Thank You Mr. Jenkins.

21. By Anonymous on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Jenks is the man! He has made our D 100% better & we all know that D wins out over anything else. Elam has been EXCELLENT! We need to take care of business against the Broncs & just continue to win out & get the #1 seed. Looking forward to the rest of the year & playoffs!

22. By OriginalJet Fan on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

To echo someone else, Jenkins perfromance to date–Huge, Elam’s picked up game –huge, most overlooked … Eric Barton, when harris went down ILB could have been tough, he and Bowens have stepped up huge, with Harris back this could be the best LB core in the leauge! My two bets in Vegas placed the day before Favre coming , AFC and Superbowl Champs are looking huge too!

23. By scjoe on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Cowher is right, being a coach, he knows that NTs don’t get he stats that OLBs and DEs get, especially in the 3-4, but he knows, like all of us Jet fans, that Jenkins makes this defense work, he lets the DEs and OLBs on this team get the stats they get, therefore he has my vote for not only team defensive MVP but league defensive MVP. The Jets would not be where they are without him!

24. By dcpackerfan on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

I saw the interview with Jenkins too, and he was great. I read that Carolina was tired of his moodiness, but I sure have not seen it in his public statements. While I love Brett and always will, there is a lot of credit to spread around on the moves the Jets made. Jenkins is definitely up there with Brett. Could you give us an update on Jets jersey sales? I read that all are way up.

25. By GANGGREEN on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

HEY RANDY DID ERIC M SAY ANYTHING A/B HARRIS PLAYIN ON SUNDAY IN HIS PRESS CONFERENCE???THE JETS DB’S NEED A COMING OUT PARTY THEN WE CAN SAY WE HAVE A COMPLETE TEAM!!!GOOO JETSSSSS!!!

26. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Wayne & Ira Titans will lose to Steelers & Colts like I’ve been saying pressure on Collins will equal loses …That’s why Vince played thurday just in case he can’t cut it legs will come in handy .. We need to win 4 of 5 to get there

27. By fljetfan on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

haven’t posted in a while. how the heck is everybody? hope thanksgiving was as good as mine. anyway what a year so far so glad i can share it with you all on a daily basis. living in fl its nice to keep my hands on the pulse of my northeasterly bretheran. this weeks game is a shoe in. i hate to say that but its true. special, special…team, fantastic mix! im confident we could beat anyone right

28. By fljetfan on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

now. maybe with the exception of the g-men but i believe they would get a run for there money as well. you never now right? big jenks law and revis back end and BF pullin the trigger how sweet it is i dont think big blue would want to play us right now. hey lets enjoy the ride. for the first time in forever im not hoping were gonna win on sundays i know we are. GOOD FOOTBALL IS FUN TO WATCH!!!

29. By Ira on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

No Jets RB has ever rushed for over 100 yds in a game vs the Broncos. Baxter had96 yds on 12 carries back in 1992. Even Curtis could only get 95 yds on 31 carries in 1999. That will change this week when TJ goes over the century mark.

30. By Randy Lange on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

GANGGREEN, Coach Mangini did not say that LB David Harris will or won’t play Sunday but he said of Harris and S Eric Smith, “Both of them have participated substantially in practice” this week and that “They’re both making big strides.”

31. By mike on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Kris Jenkins was the missing piece the defense needed to stop the running game of the opposition. I would have to say he should go to the pro bowl, I voted for him. I just hope he doesn’t get injured because we are in trouble if he does.
    Same goes for Farve on the offensive side.

32. By Tom Spicer on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Lets go Jets do not take your foot off of the gas we need to beat Denver either way the Pats or Pitt are going to lose which is good for us. We need to take care of our end of the bargin PLEASE GOD DONT LET THIS BE A TRAP GAME FOR US WHEN EITHER WAY THE DIVISION OR THE NUMBER 2 SEED IS RIGHT IN OUR HANDS !

33. By Randy Lange on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Chris Pierce, senior director of merchandising, reports that “our jersey sales are through the roof. Granted, No. 4 has been a big part of that, but sales of all of our players are up. It’s great to see other players growing in popularity like Kris Jenkins, Leon Washington, Kerry Rhodes and Alan Faneca.”

34. By Mike on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

I think Jenkins was the missing piece the defense needed to stop the run. He has also pressured and sacked the opposing QB.
    I think he should go to the ProBowl I voted for him.
    I just hope he doesn’t get injured.
    The same goes for Farve on the Offense.

35. By Tom Spicer on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

The wish this week for Jets fans Pitt beats the Pats this week & the Cowboys beat Pitt next week & the Jets win out & get the number 2 seed.

36. By Tom Spicer on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

The dream for Jet fans for the rest of the season Pitt beats the Pats this week & next week the Cowboys beat Pitt. Over the next month the Titans lose to Pitt & to the Colts & the Jets win out & get the number 1 seed LOCK UP THE SUPER BOWL AT THAT POINT BABY I’M GOING TO TAMPA BAY !

37. By biglen on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

I’ve heard rumors that Ratliff is surpassing Clemens on the depth chart. What do you hear

38. By John on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

The Pats and Colts are the teams I fear the most in the AFC. I hope neither of them make the playoffs especially New England. Ill take Pitt, #3 seed etc just give me some breathing room on the Pats

39. By Christopher on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

Considering too, that this was the first year Jenkins played nose tackle, it’s is even that more impressive. My thoughts on that Pitt vs NE game, is I hope Pitt wins, Pitt has a harder schedule down the stretch and will probably not run the table.

40. By John on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

The only way Tenn scares me is if Young comes in and kicks butt.

41. By Drew on Nov 28, 2008 | Reply

They were touting Haynsworth as D MVP and we put a number on that D-line where Jenkins and the boys conitnued to control the line of scrimmage. Definite D MVP front-runner….Funny how Carolina stated last week how much better they are without him. Oh wait I think M Turner just scored on them again…LOL

42. By cjames on Nov 29, 2008 | Reply

There is no food for thought… If it was…. jenkins would eat it. This guy is amazing. I love watching guys that other teams are willing to discard come back and become Iron Man. He is so modest and I love how he just is complete debauchery to any team that faces him. GO JENKINS