• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

LYONS: Some Positive Signs for the Times

Posted by jetsstaff on December 9, 2008 – 4:26 pm

Monday was a long and tough day for me after the flight back from San Fran. I was tried, disappointed, mad and frustrated. I had to go see my therapist, Dr. Brian. I needed help, words of encouragement. I’ve been seeing him for almost 30 years now. Dr. Brian is a mountain of a man, soft spoken, and he always greets me with a smile.

When I got to his office, the parking lot was packed. Cars were parked everywhere — on the curbs, on the grass, even doubled-parked. All of the vehicles had some kind of Jets stickers on them. What was going on here?

Then I realized I wasn’t the only one that needed to talk to Dr. Brian this morning. All Jets Fans did.

Walking into his office was surprising. It was empty, except for Mike . We call him the "The King." He’s been going to Jets games his entire life, home and away, even the preseason games, and the guy lives in Florida. Yes, he has issues.

As I walked to the receptionist to check in and ask for Dr. Brian, Debbie told me that when he got to the office in the morning, Jets fans were everywhere. They were screaming, cussing, "do this and do that type of attitudes." So Dr. Brian took them all in the conference room to show the Jets-Tennessee game from three weeks ago.

His message: Stay positive. Remember who you are, where you’re at, what’s in front of you. Don’t be negative.

As I sat across from the King watching him bite his nails one after another, I noticed a sign above his head. It read: "Stay positive. The Jets are still in first place at 8-5." Yes, Dr. Brian was working his magic. As poorly as the Jets had played the last two weeks, they were still in first place. I started to think about the positive, not the negative.

On the other wall was a sign that read: "No problem is too big that it can’t be fixed. If there’s a will, there’s a way. Attitude." A thought came to my head: If the Jets win the next three games, they’ll win their division. Stay Positive.

The next two signs were powerful. The first was a quote from General Colin L. Powell. It read: "There is no secret to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure." The Jets had experienced all three. Why can’t they win three in a row? Learn from failure.

The other read: "Self-trust is the first secret of success — Ralph Waldo Emerson." Once again I realized how important it is to ALWAYS look at the glass half full, not half empty. Self-trust.

Just then the door opened and Dr. Brian came over with his big smile and asked, "How you doing, big guy? Tough couple of weeks for the Jets." I quickly replied, "I’m fine." His subliminal form of therapy had worked.

Think about it, Jets fans. Win three and you win the division. In hard times stay positive.

I always choose to look at the glass as half full. That’s just who I am and how I live my life. If it’s just for one more week with the Jets, so be it. Hopefully, it’s into the playoff.

Tags: ,
Posted in Marty Lyons | 51 Comments »

51 Responses to “LYONS: Some Positive Signs for the Times”

1. By fljetfan on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

thanks dr. lyons? anyway, ill be glued to the tv come sun. with my #4 jersey on hopin an prayin. the problem marty is that this year we sold our soul for #4 so we dont have time to be patient. so the mangini is a young coach logic, whoever made that comment, is ridiculous. #4 isnt gettin any younger! genius needs to figure this out in a hurry.

2. By supercooljetfan on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

is it only me or has keller been droppin too many passes lately

3. By fljetfan on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

as for the fish…. no chance. im not worried at all. the chad thing dont bother me. hes playin well, he’s been steady his whole carreer. but hes not a SB QB. parcells is magic but they arent winnin the div.at our house. write it down. my faith in coach is shaken a bit but not in #4. i think we win out, the organization has to much on the line. after all, we did sell our souls for this didnt we?

4. By jet4life on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

thanks for the great article and you are absolutely correct. I’ll be 50 tomorrow 12-10-08 and have seen a world of hurt as a jet fan for the last 40 years. but alot of great wins too. just came back from seeing my copy of the miricle at the meadowlands game/phew i feel better now.this season has already been great see ya in the playoffs steelers

5. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

All the fans are predicting San Fran will beat Miami I will take odds on that .. Not a fish fan but & do know they are better then us by far right now.. There rookie head coach puts Mangini to shame .. They won’t let this opportunity slip away like bazooka Joe mangini did… We won’t win out as much as it pains me with this staff sorry boys & girls we will lose at least 2 games .

DECLINED: Namecalling

6. By Dennis D. on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Do your job. Play your heart out. One game at a time. GOJETSGO

7. By Drew on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Heres the problem Marty….its Tuesday night I am still feel like I was hit by a truck from that game. Its in the fans minds, its in the media mind, and it has to be in the players mind that the snowball has started. The team looked tight in SF and it got worse thru the game. I cant imagine what the feeling will be like if the Buffalo game is close. Can this team ovecome where they put themselves?

8. By Drew on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Leadership???? Is it Jenkins? Is it Rhodes or is it Favre?? Maybe its Mangini. Someone has to put this team on their back and straighten this crap out. We need 3 wins. So does Miami and NE. We are back to the underdog role. The league, media and fans are against us again. Miami and NE are the darlings. Please smack Buffalo in the mouth and move on. I am not giving up on this coach or year!!!!

9. By JETFOREAL on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

leadership by definition is the ability to lead,the leader of a group. that person is Eric Mangini the leaders are all who have the honor to wear the captains patch last i checked the legendary one of all Mr Favre needs to shake the tree and knock the fear off and get these captains ready to lead the team to the AFC Championship Mangini need to lead his coaching staff and together they will WIN !

10. By Rob on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

I think Marty is right….we’re still #1!! GO JETS!!! I think team with take these losses to make sure not get get ahead of ourselves and take one game at a time. If anyone saw the clip after Titans game….lockeroom was sing ‘swagger like us’. Its great to have that confidence but we need to keep the eye on the prize, I guess fans can afford to feel good but players cant until end of season.

11. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Here’s how I break the problem down .. Either the players are playing bad & not giving 100% or the coaches can’t coach I believe it’s both .. Then in that case with 3 games left not enough time to fix this mess .. Sorry to say if we finish behind NE or Miami going to be massive protest around here .. Mangini groupies will have hell to paid take that to the bank

12. By jet jeff on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

the problem is marty, that I have been waiting the last 35 years minus a couple of years in there and my glass just emptied after those last two disgraceful games , well lets see how we do against another mediocre team this week

13. By Biglen on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Marty,we deserve more from you. Favre is looking his age,Jenkins had his 15 minutes…These are the JETS. We should never have been put in this position.I blame Mangini…the buck stops here.

14. By Ira on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Drew, With all due respect get over it. If you spend your life walking in mud after things go wrong you will never get anywhere. Lot s of people have way too many problems in life. Just look at the poor kids that Marty’s Foundation works with. So just like Marty’s kids that fight to live another day the Jets will too. Never give up otherwise there is not point. GO JETS!!!!

15. By supercooljetfan on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

the only bad thing about our last 3 games is that one of them is against another subpar team on the westcoast…who made the schedule anyways i think we were the only afc east team that had to goto the westcoast 4 times this year what is up with that???

16. By carl on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Hey Marty,I believe!! You’ve been there how do you turn it around? I Know Smash The Guy Across From You On Sunday!!!!! Go Jets!!!!!!

17. By Row on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Our leadership left when we dumped #51( the heart of our defense) for a 4th round pick. I’ve yet to see as much fire from this years defense then any D from the past 3 years. We have to stop throwing people under the bus and play football. Mangini has yet to say I failed to prepare the team, and I will fix it. He says we have been inconsistent. I just want a win for the fans! Go Jets!

18. By Vince-Florida on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Hey Marty, good article, as for the Jets—Farve got to be allowed to be Farve—sometimes! Sutton got to throw the kitchen sink at the opposition sometimes—just not to be so predictable. There have to be reverses and other trick plays—just to show the other team something they didn’t see in the Bronco Defeat.
    Then throw in some Wildcat, about 4 plays not one! Mix it up –new stuff. Go Jets!

19. By Jeremy on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

That’s all great, but realistically with Sutton as our D Coordinator and Shotty calling plays like his father this team is doomed to medicority! The coaching staff is a joke. They get outsmarted, outcoached, outmotivated every game, but the Tenn game. It’s a miracle they have won 8 games this year. Miami is going to pound SF and show how to coach and gameplan for a weak opponent. FIRE Sutton!

20. By filipinojetfan on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

Life in the NFL is just like that, full of ups and downs, excitement and disappointments. And the Jets best describes it. But I don’t think that there are any other team (maybe one or two) that is 100% in the Super Bowl! We may only have one but we never lost one either. As for the remainder of this season, win or lose, J!E!T!S! JETS GO JETS!!!!!

21. By BIGPETE on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

WELL PEOPLE, I DONT KNOW ABOUT U GUYS, BUY A SEE A PRIME SET UP FOR AND INJECTION OF DAVID CLOWNEY. WITH SMITH HURT AND LC CRYING AGAIN I THINK ITS THE PERFECT TIME FOR HIS DEEP THREAT

22. By JetsFan on Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

PUT ON THE NY TITANS UNIFORM…. IAM TELLING YOU. 3WINS AND IN CHANGE THE SCENERY ITS A BIG GAME BUT MYTHICALY NOT BIGGER THEN THE TITANS. LETS BREAK THE FUNK ALREADY.

23. By Jeremy on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Mangini has the same boring, lame, monotone, press conference every week. Hats off to the other team for beating us! I liked what we did here, I liked this. If this and this happen you lose. Thanks Sherlock! Throw somebody under the bus i.e. Sutton for being a horrible play caller and having no idea how to make adjustments and stop the pass! Other than Westhoff this staff is a complete JOKE!

DECLINED: NAMECALLING

24. By Christopher on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Positives???? There really hasn’t been any these last 2 weeks, except maybe TJ. I’m tired of trying to find the positives….it is time to perform, plain and simple. If we do not win the division, the entire coaching staff needs to be fired, except Westhoff…give him the job…problem is if we don’t do it now, it might be several years before we have an opprotunity like this one. The time is now.

25. By uncle joe on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Hey Marty,I would have been twisted reading the two powerful signs.The first one says theres NO secret to success and the next one says selftrust is the FIRST secret of success.I think the Jets can still aford another loss and they probably will lose 1 more time.I think it’s destiny that the last game is for the division.Miami loss this week against SF.NE loss next week against Arizona.

26. By Steve on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

I was born in 69′. I’ve been green and white as long as I can remember, going to Shea to see the Jets before I was in grade school. Well, I thought this was going to be our year just two short weeks ago now I have to say if this team doesn’t win out: I’m out. No more green and white Sundays, I’ll think black and teal (Panthers) will work for me as I plan on retireing in N.C. anyway.

27. By uncle joe on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Way off base but,I think it’s disgusting that the NFL moved the Giant Panthers game to a Sunday night game.My kid is close to the age to take her to the game and if I was taking her to a Sunday afternoon game and it turned into a night game Id be really angry.Respect the fans and stop getting greedy.Kids can’t watch entire Sunday,Monday and Thursday night games.

28. By uncle joe on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

The deep pass down the middle to Cotchery,he could’ve dove or made some better attempt.He hasn’t been the same for weeks now.Can we please leave Nuge home and play our young WRs.Rotate them in,fresh legs,send one deep on the same side every play.Tire the DBs.I know Clowney was against 3rd stringers but,come on at least an explaination to where he is.He plays special teams and so does M.Henry.

29. By Donald on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

I think Mike “The King” needs to stop acting like “The Queen.” Same old Jet Fans, as Marty said look at the positive, we are in first place. If we win out, we are hosting a playoff game. It starts this Sunday.

30. By Brian I on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

This is when I expect, Favre, Law, Faneca, Jenkins and Woody…Players who have played in championship games, to step up and light a fire under this teams behind. The downfall of Mangini is that his monotone non-expressive attitude is rubbing off on his team….show some life and win these games.

31. By Anthony on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

I agree…Play your hearts out and don’t give up Jets…..you can definitely get us to the playoffs…I believe…and I will always be a Jets fan. But now more then ever I really feel is the time to take advantage

32. By Chico on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

I am a die hard Jets fan,one of 2 at my job. I have loved the jets my entire 26 year old life. While watching a Jets game i feel alive and while watching a Jets loss i feel lost. These 3 games are definitely winnable. These are games that the Jets can stand tall,stay under the radar and prove they deserve to b in first place. They need to stop making mistakes and stop believing they deserve it…

33. By Ira on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

unclejoe,
    Clowney and Henry do not play ST coverage the way Wright, Smith or Carroll does. But now with Smith probably having a concussion Clowney will get his chance this week. BTW that hit on Smith was a helmet to helmet hit and a lot worse then E.Smith’s was. The league should fine Willis bigtime for that hit.

34. By GangGreen on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

I have one more thing to say…Marty I hope you post this… Please tell Coles to get over himself. He wants to comment about Favre yet Favre is a soon to be hall of famer and I have been a Jet fan for a LONG TIME…Long before Coles and he could soon be forgotten. If he continues his crying I am at the point with trading him for Boldin.. Tell him to get open and catch some passes

35. By Jeff Jet on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

I’ve said all season, I’d love to see Marcus Henry on the field, with his size, and soft hands he displayed in preseason, might be all they need to spark the offense. And what about clowney, a speed guy. The offense of philosphy the jets have, why did we get favre, heck noodle man can throw 10 yards

DECLINED: NAMECALLING

36. By JETFOREAL on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

donald look at the reality and i am not being smug but 1> we are a 3way tie for 1st should be 2 games ahead with the lock but we are not !! 2> IF we win out thats been the problem IF & theres alot of IF’s and thirdly we cant win in the west coast -0-3 Seattle gave NE a fight till the end and NE fought to get the win would be great if we could go 3&out but i dont see the fire in this teamNO FIRE

37. By Anthony on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

I just want to say a very good friend of mines father has passed. I was at my first Jet game with him and he would be happy to see them win another superbowl. He talked about winning another one and seeing it like he was a Jet. And was SOOO Excited for this season. I hope the jets can look at this and take the pride this man has had in this team and put it on the field. Gang Green for life….

38. By MikeMc on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Ira, I wish every fan had you demeanor, they would enjoy the season that much more. Drew its OK to feel horrible Mon&Tues, but Weds-Sun its all about the next opponent so shake it off.Steve born in ’69 & thinking retirement already I’d say your life has been pretty good so why quit on your team due to a little perenial disappointment?Jetsfan those Titan uniforms aren’t as ugly when we win eh?

39. By Drew on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Never would compare real life problems to my NFL issues Ira. Just explaining how drastic the feeling is from 3 weeks ago. I am already over it and have this feeling my boy Mangini is going to respond and come through.

40. By uncle joe on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Hey Ira,Nugent doesn’t play special teams like them either!He shouldn’t be on the team.We got rid of Graham partially because he can’t emergency place kick.If Feely goes down Hodges finishes the game and resign Nugent the following week.No One is gonna sign Nugent.Lets get someone on the roster that can contribute.And leave Gholston home.IR him.Take the bad pick on the chin & move on.Cummings!!!!!

41. By uncle joe on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

If you IR Gholston the media would complain for a few days,big deal.He’s dead weight.Ask Westoff if he would rather have Cummings(who would probably kill someone)or Gholston on STs.We all know he’s a bust at least this year,we’ve come to grips with it.Give Murrell,Cummings,Brown a chance.They are young and hungry.Let Clowney get a pass from Farve already.Get Marcus Henry in the Red Zone.

42. By uncle joe on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Stuckey was awesome in the begining of the year.He never drops a pass.Get him involved.Coles never stops agravating me.Stop babying him.Mangini should’ve went to Washington’s house over the summer to thank him for not doing what Josh Cribs did,ask for more money.Coles is good,was great,but never worth the aggrevation.Imagine if we still had Moss!Blame that on Chad!& I’m not happy with J-Co either.

43. By uncle joe on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

And Keller is another Shockey minus the mouth.he’s GREAT but he’ll break your heart with crucial dropped passes.If you want a TE that can’t block too well but runs like a WR,then just go with a WR!Shouldv’e gotten Roy Williams when he was available.I wanted Calais Cambell in the draft,6,7 280 DE that used to play TE.He’s on ARZ.same place as Cromartie my other pick.

44. By GIL on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

The thing I have always loved about the Jets was they can always impress us in a time of turmoil they did it last year against the Steelers when there was more terrible towel wavers than green and white in the meadowlands and they are going to do it again against the last three teams of the season. They have always performed when their backs were to the wall and I believe they can do it again.

45. By Greg from Albany on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

The Jets have played 2 bad games in a row, true enough, however, they are NOT a bad team. There’s a lot of the “Same old Jets” mentality right now, some of it deserved. We’ve all been here before and have been dissappointed often. This team will be graded on its final 3 games. If they win…successful season. Pressure’s on, now. It could have been avoided by beating teams we should have beaten.

46. By ExPackerFan on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Where is David Clowney and why will the Mangenious NOT insert him into a receiving corps that DESPERATELY need someone with break away speed because I see NONE on this Jets team. No one with seperation. The closest I see is the tight end/wideout Keller. AS great a coles and cotchery are, they get NO SEPRTATION. EVERY TEAM HAS TO HAVE IT. THE JETS DON’T PLEASE GIVE MY MAN BRETT A DOWNFIELD THREAT.

47. By JETSFAN OVERSEAS on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

If i can say one thing it would be that the jets have not let me down, ive been in iraq 14 months now (U.S. ARMY) and these 14 weeks have been maybe the happiest. Its not always pretty but just any oppertunity i have to catch a game win or lose is special. WE WILL SEE THE PLAYOFFS. J>E>T>S JETS JETS JETS !!!! just relax and see. we need to stand by them.WILL THEY WERE THE ALT. UNIFORM?WE LOVED IT

48. By bnice on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

it is what it is, they are the jets. I hoped that the stars were all lined up and this was going to be the year, but they are still the jets, a storied francise in the nfl, but a story of losing.

49. By butsy irish jet on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

A message from the land of the shamrock.Get behind the team no more negative talk between now and end of season. To all you fans who are going to the game on sun stay and cheer the boys on and dont leave2 or 3 mins into the 3rd quater like the broncos game.I travel half way around the world once ayear to watch the JETS and it costs me probably more than aseason ticket so realise how lucky your are

50. By butsy irish jet on Dec 10, 2008 | Reply

Also to L coles get over it and show some spirit and fight 4 the ball dont just give up on it if its not going to land straight into your hands.As Don Maynard said on americas game its not about stats but just Winning.GO JETS 3-0 then beat indie and then beat steelers then tennesse finish it off with a win over the giants

51. By Wayne on Dec 13, 2008 | Reply

I’m a positive guy too BUT there is something called momentum & we don’t have it.Was beating Tenn our superbowl?There are no excuses for the last 2 weeks.These are games we should have won.The secondary is as porous as Swiss cheese.The pass rush is no more.The fact is, players attitudes are more important then the fans Marty. You’ve been a player so what do the Jets need to do to turn it around?