LYONS: Make a Difference, On and Off the Field

Posted by jetsstaff on December 16, 2008 – 1:22 pm

Yesterday I didn’t go to my therapist, Dr. Brian. I didn’t have to. I hosted the Marty Lyons Foundation Holiday Party with my former teammate, Kenny Schroy.

Hundreds of children attended the party with their families, most with the aid of their wheelchairs, fighting each day for their lives. The party is a celebration of another year of life for children that are seriously ill. For some of them, their greatest wish in life is to see tomorrow.

As we gave out thousands of toys, you realize all the gifts that you have around you, your family, your friends, and more importantly the opportunity that all of us have to make a difference in some one else’s lives. "To make a difference, all you have to do is care".

The game of football was very good to me. The Jets fans were always supportive of my effort on the field and continue to support my effort with the foundation. The best part about the game of football is the relationships that I built with my teammates. A special thanks to Greg Buttle, John Nitti, and of course Kenny Schroy. Relationships last a lifetime if you allow them to. This 2008 Jets team should treasure the moment they have now, share it with one another and don’t take it granted.

As for the game on Sunday against the Bills, the players have to think one game at a time, one play at a time. Yes, it took one play to save the game on Sunday against the Bills, and yes, that one play might have saved the Jets’ entire hopes of making it to the playoffs.

You can say what you want — "the Jets didn’t play well," "the Jets got lucky," even "the Jets didn’t deserve to win." But what you have to realize is the Jets didn’t quit. The second effort from Abram Elam to come from the backside to sack and strip the ball out of J.P. Losman’s hand was just that, second effort. Second effort by Shaun Ellis to get into the end zone for the touchdown, that happens when you’re hustling to the ball and being in the right place at the right time.

In football it takes just one play to win a game or lose a game. Maybe, just maybe that one play is what the Jets needed to boost their confidence for these last two games. The players, coaches and fans know they will have to play a more complete game against Seattle this week to win, but as far as the Bills goes, take the win and be happy.

It’s a one-game schedule, Seattle on the road. Don’t waste the opportunity.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Marty Lyons | 30 Comments »

30 Responses to “LYONS: Make a Difference, On and Off the Field”

1. By Hazydavy on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

Well, I’m hoping New England loses the early game so the Jets aren’t in a must win situation. Maybe they could even afford to rest some banged up players if that’s the case. I know that’s kind of a radical thought.

2. By Ira on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

Marty,
    Yes it was a gift vs the Bills. and my boy Elam made the big play to set up Ellis. Also Thomas needs some love for the block he made on the FB so Elam could get to Losman. Jets have new life and will beat the Seahawks 30-17. But as i wrote on your blog last week what you do with those kids is amazing and thats what life is really all about. God Bless those kids and you and your foundation

3. By James on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

I am bit lost about the tie brakers,
    Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

with the above categories in mind we should win the devision with one more win and with Miami,Patts lossing this week correct?

4. By fljetfan on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

all mangini has to do is look at the points given up by this D, (2nd most in afc amongst contendors). thats an alarming stat. we be done if we werent 1st in points scored afc. how he tip toes around this stat with a straight face is beyond me. im gonna keep on rootin because thats what we do as fans. always be a jet fan thru an thru!

5. By MikeMc on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

Maybe seeing Holmgren will inspire Brett to play like he did in the old days. Can’t see Arizona beating NE, or KC beating Miami so the Jets better play like there is no tomorrow.Newsday had the Jets going to the superbowl 2 weeks ago & today they are hammering Mangini, telling Jet fans its over. Disgusting display of abuse with a pen & no brain, newsday should be ashamed.Jets are in 1st place!!

6. By Marty Lyons on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

Unfortunately, no, James. If the Jets enter the final week at 10-5 and Miami comes in at 9-6 and the Jets lose to the Dolphins, the Jets would miss out on the division title based on their 7-5 record in games against common opponents (the division tiebreaker after head-to-head and division record) compared to the Dolphins’ 9-3.

7. By JETFOREAL on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

i don’t think Miami WINS Sunday? it will be like 10-12 degrees out there in Kansas cold/windy and i think that will have an affect on Pennington.KC played pretty darn tough last couple Gms wind plays factor on chads throwing stop Ricky and ronnie 2 very cold road games they face ,and the last being at the JETS if the defense stops porter the elements stop Pennington Jets need to win this Sunday

8. By dklos on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

The fins can lose to KC this week, they are not the juggernaut that the media is making them out to be look back at the last few games. Beat badly by the pats, just squeaked by the rams, beat the bills 16-3 at a neutral site and just got by the 49′ers 14-9 with san fran having a chance to win it on their last drive. that’s no such a powerhouse to me, KC at home and in the cold could beat the phish

9. By Jeremy on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

Congrats to the 7 JETS making the ProBowl and the other 5 alternates. Nice to see the JETS get some recognition for the individual efforts. Very Very surprised Wallace Wright was left of the Special Teams?????Don’t understand that one! Surprised Brett made it!

10. By Tom Spicer "I Bleed Green" on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

Finally some Jets are being sent to the pro bowl it is about time for years we have been getting job as far as our guys going to Hawaii

11. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

Please every1 stop relying on Miami or Pats losing .. They will handle there business no doubt just worry bout us winning ..That’s my biggest worry as they have shown they choked every game on the west coast this season . E Smith Clowny Devido Keller Mosley all need to contribute in this game .. Need some hungry players in there like Mike D played angry last week …Need a spark from some1

12. By Howard on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

glad to see the 7 pro bowlers a nice compliment to a good season so far esp happy for leon and darelle,these 2 should have been there last yr nice job guys

13. By jak, 20 wk jet fan on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

MIKEMC yes every game for the jets is a must win. but ive a feeling both miami and new england will lose against their opponents this sunday…..ill settle for 1outta 2 .

14. By supercooljetfan on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

i was at the jet game sunday and it was funny how many fans i overheard keeping tabs on clowney

15. By MikeMc on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

I’ve come to the realization if we ever do win a championship it will be a remarkable feat. Everywhere I turn, the newspapers, the T.V., the radio, this websites blog responses, the fans in the stadium & in front of the T.V. have a negative, attacking agenda.Our team has no support, “a house divided can not stand”. In Atl they are heroes at 9-5, here at 9-5 we are losers. We don’t deserve a ring.

16. By Row on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

I also believe Miami loses to KC and NE will lose to Arizona. NE has a very torn LB corps and although one safety is playing well, they are decimated at D. It is 15 in KC and snowing. Marty is a real Jet, forever. I am so enthused that he has a column around once a week. Only thing I’m worried about is us becoming pass happy and neglecting to run for 1st downs. Start Gholston, I’m not joking!

17. By fljetfan on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

hey mikemc, this team is underachieving and should have beat sf, den. and should be 11-3 could have got the 2 seed now were in a dogfight with CHAD no less. hopefully that explains my misery and negativity. ill be fired up and rooting for the jets come sunday however

18. By Drew on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

MikeMc…Are you really that concerned about how the media or bad Jet fans think? I could care less. I hated after the Tenn game everybody was throwing flowers at the Jets feet. I like it better this way. The Mangini haters will continue and the papers are a joke anyway. Lets win out and shut them up in the playoffs

19. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

Just think about it if the Jets rushed there OLB’S Jenkins would be 1 on 1 with the center thats a win. Ellis would be 1 on 1 with a guard that is a win & Thomas & Pace would also be 1 on 1 with the tackles think of the heat we would put on the other teams QB we would still have 6 in coverage & the QB would have no time to throw. We would never get picked apart we would get a ton of sacks

20. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2008 | Reply

cause QB fumbles & force bad throws that become INT’S by the QB. I know we have the guys to do this JUST GIVE IT A CHANCE !

21. By chrisL on Dec 17, 2008 | Reply

As long as we play prevent defense throughout the entire course of the game and play sporadicly on offense well have trouble getting out of the first round. I think the problems start with the head coach and he doesn’t seem to be the undisputed leader of the team and p.s. i think kerry rhodes has been the most disappointing player on the team if not the league.

22. By Jack A. Hamlin on Dec 17, 2008 | Reply

JET FAVRE 17 INTERCEPTIONS AND A PRO – BOWLER……………WHAT A JOKE………THE NFL IS BETTER THAN WATCHING ALL STAR WRESTLING……..HA…HA…HA…….GO CHAD PENNINGTON……SEND THE PRO – BOWLERS HOME…………

23. By HazyDavy on Dec 17, 2008 | Reply

Yo, yes I can see Miami losing this weekend, but it really doesn’t matter what they do. Either way the Jets have to beat them next weekend. I’m hoping NE loses this weekend, then sunday’s game would no longer be a must win.

24. By JETFOREAL on Dec 17, 2008 | Reply

really glad to hear Mangini is on the hot seat mike and mike love the show the guys know football and most anaylists agree with the amount of talent jets have still no threat to any team in the league any team even the rams. people are afraid of change me too sometimes but the jets need the coaching change whatever play out the 2 games left hopefuly we see the P.O and who knows win one of them.

25. By james molloy on Dec 17, 2008 | Reply

maybe marty should suit up …then perhaps we’ll have some kind of pass rush..prevent dfense as soon as you get a lead is a recipe for disaster…go get the qb early and hard …cmon boys…stop being scared to blitz…

26. By MikeMc on Dec 17, 2008 | Reply

No Drew I am not concerned I actually find it amusing & I enjoy the banter with the haters. My point was the negativity that weighs down the players, coaches, mgmt, & their families.There is no appreciation for battles fought.fljetfan are they underachieving? the Jets were ranked 24th going into the season. They have given us thrills & are on the cusp of the playoffs. They have not quit !! Go Jets!!

27. By Gary Cola.,SC on Dec 17, 2008 | Reply

Hey Marty, I would like info on your Foundation.Also too, we did get a break on second effort.Let’s be positive and get these next two and then its anybody’s game(Play-offs)

28. By Linda Boscia on Dec 17, 2008 | Reply

Hats off to Marty Lyons & the volunteers that worked so hard putting together another successful MLF Holiday Party. To see the smiles on the children’s faces and meet their families was a “win win” for me. I have sat in the upper deck for over 20 years, some games good and some not so good, but to keep things in perspective, this was definitely a win win week for me (one play & one day at a time)

29. By DanJetFan on Dec 17, 2008 | Reply

Mike, its not about being a “hater.” Its about knowing what championship football looks like. The problem is COACHING!!! Bottomline: average offense, good run defense, no pass defense. WK1 Chad has a shot to beat us with a TD pass, WK2 Cassell is an all star with his arm and his legs! WK3 – Rivers ripped us WK4 was not a blowout. Warner ripped us. Cutler, Thigpen!!!, etc etc!!!!!! SUTTON?!?

30. By HazyDavy58 on Dec 18, 2008 | Reply

I think Marty needs to show up @ practice and give the defensive coordinator “the business”. ;o)