LYONS: Give Up? Or Fight Till the End?

Posted by jetsstaff on December 23, 2008 – 8:18 am

Where do I start?

Just a few weeks ago the Jets were on top of the world at 8-3. Now the Jets are 9-6, losing three out of their last four. NOT GOOD.

I will make it plain and simple. The game Sunday in Seattle was very disappointing. End of conversation.

As I sit at the table asking myself is the glass half-empty or half-full, I have to take out my carpenter’s level to check. I just don’t know any more. Half-full means you control your own destiny. The Jets don’t. Half-empty means the season is over. The Jets still have a chance to make it to the playoffs with a win over Miami and need some help from around the league.

Trust me, I know what you’re thinking, Big Len: "C’mon, Marty, we deserve better from you." At the beginning of the season I talked about accountability and chemistry. It’s been dormant the last couple of weeks. Can the Jets bring it back against Miami? It really depends on which side of the table you’re looking at the glass from.

I really believe that they can. And if the Jets do finish 10-6 and don’t make it to the playoffs, they can only blame themselves.

Picture this: You’re hanging from a cliff. Do you just let go because that’s the easy way out? Or do you hold on with every bit of energy and strength you have, fighting till the end, hoping that someone comes to your aid? Maybe if you hold on long enough, help will come. That’s what the Jets have to do this week against Miami — hold on and win and hope for help.

During the holiday season, please take time to tell all of your loved ones how special they are in your life. None of us has a crystal ball, so spend you time wisely and enjoy the holidays. Week 17 in the NFL should be interesting.

Tags: ,
Posted in Marty Lyons | 86 Comments »

86 Responses to “LYONS: Give Up? Or Fight Till the End?”

1. By Ira on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Marty, Of course you never give up. Look at what happened in 02 on the last day of the season. But that was a different team then this one. Favre is not the leader that Chad was. Marty that was also a disgrace what those Hawks fans did to you with those snowballs and the Jets team too. Buttle told me on the radio you didn’t even mention it on the air. You are a class act. GO JETS!!!!

2. By alyse on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I don’t know if you’ll allow this comment, as it is critical, but I am beyond disappointed in the coaching decisions around play-calling. 4th and 1 inside the opponent’s 5 (if memory serves) on the opening drive and you bring in the FG kicker?? On the road?? In bad weather?? This kind of conservative decision-making has cost the Jets all year and it allows the offense no momentum or confiedence..

3. By JETFOREAL on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

YOU FIGHT TO THE END OF COURSE but these guys don’t know how nor do the coaches they all quit at home vs Denver/ last year falcons 4-12 MIA 1-15 Ravens 5-11.all 3 made coaching changes 2 fired 1retired thisyr all 3 make the PLAYOFFS get my drift hopefully they find guts to play with Sunday because its bad enough Miami is coming with purpose, I just hope they have enough pride to stop the slaughter

4. By Anonymous on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

There are a lot of people in Miami with a christmas wish. At this point, blessing them seems quite logical.

5. By JETFOREAL on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

and great articles throughout the season, Marty i was disgusted when i read they were throwing snowballs at you over in Seattle sorry you had to experience that, on top of the pathetic Jets football you had endure, half full you say IF the Jets get in does it matter they dont have the heart to finish what was started Mangini cant figure out how to stop teams no fire or excitement from the coaches.

6. By wayne on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Hanging by a cliff analogy doesnt hold up(pun) here.Because when these guys let go every weekend, they land on a big fat check.This is afterall the league,”where they play….for pay”.Least they can do is go all out…Anyone seen tape of captain, senior member, all pro Shaun Ellis in SEA.Way to represent the team.Worst thing to happen this next game is they win. It’ll be lipstick on a pig.

7. By Frank on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Hey Ira I feel for you the handwriting has been on the wall for the last three years. Mangini so far has not been up to the task if somehow we win on Sunday and make the playoffs then he deserves another shot. They lose this week he has to go. This team has shown no improvement at all over the last 3 years. What makes it worse is Mangini had the benefit of exceptionally healthy teams for that time

8. By JeffCUK on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

If the Jets win well on Sunday the players can walk off the field with their heads held up and a small amount of pride. It doesn’t matter if the Pats and Ravens have already won through by then. If they don’t make the playoffs then so be it. …but they’re not hanging on the cliff right now Marty, they’ve fallen off and they have to learn to fly………

9. By Frank on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Forget Cowher he wouldn’t come here anyway. If Mangini gets fired we need Spagnuolo he will be the next coaching star in the NFL. He has energy, enthusiasm and is extremely smart he is the guy we need. He also happens to be the best DC in football. It is amazing what he gets out of his players who are a bunch of no names and unlike Mangini he develops and inspires their talents.

10. By wayne on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Cruelest cut:Beat MIA and put NE in playoffs.Lose and Chad’s in.Get rid of guys like Ellis,Barton etc. and they’ll end up in NE and restock those ******for the next SB run……..WOW………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

11. By Squirrel Master on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

We will know going into the game whether the Pats have won. If the Pats win then we should lose the game. This way at least we can route for Chad in the playoffs and not have to deal with the Pats being on top of the AFC East again. Hopefully this time next year Mangini will be coaching Rugby downunder and Shotty and Sutton will be retired. This coaching staff aside from Westy is pathetic.

12. By tim in nj on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Lovely imagery, Marty. Stranger things have happened. Go Jets!

13. By Cyclone Dave on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Half empty? Half full? When the Head Coach has shown he’s over his head in the NFL, either way is no good. Say they make it through this weekend. To what end? THIS Team is capable of challenging for the Championship?
    Not when you’ve got a Coach who GOES FOR IT on 4th Down from his OWN 19! This is CRUSHING , seeing where they were a month ago, and what they’ve become since. FIRE MANGINI!

14. By GIL on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Marty, I love reading your comments because I always believe that we are destined for greatness but after 3 not 1 not 2 but 3 diasterous losses I don’t know I will never jump ship because I have been a fan since birth pretty much and my kids are jets fans my 4 and 1 year olds chant the JETS on game days and my 10 year old would love to play for them but after this where do we go? Jets forever!

15. By MikeMc on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Frank I can agree with everything your saying, including Cowher not coming to NY. This is my problem there is no proven coach available. Do you want Fassell, Marty Shott, D Green or do you want a newbie who has to learn for 3 yrs ? I believe in Spags, but does Spagnoli believe in the Jets? He’ll have better situations offered to him. I want Mangini to save himself from himself & win Sun. win big!

16. By Ira on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Frank, Happy Holidays to you and yours and everybody else too. That was one of your best comments all year about the Jets being healthy at this time of the year. And much of the year too besides Harris out for awhile. Frank don’t worry about me. The Seattle trip was some adventure with the weather and travel problems. But i loved sitting in the snow and watching a game. The results very bad.

17. By Russell on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

OK, Seatlle game is over.. Time to move on. Lets hope the Jets right their ship and beat Miami. That’s it, BEAT MIAMI. If we make the playoffs, so be it, if not, then it’s the Jets own fault. Remember the 1992 Season when we had no chance at making the playoffs, keep the faith until the end. To all my fellow Jets fans’ MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS. See you all on Sunday.

18. By Brian from Connecticut on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Good post – and so is the Daily News cover page today. Mangini new about motivation his first year — remember his weekly motivational messages/gimmicks? In Monday’s press conference he looked like a deer in headlights. Every time a reporter asked a good question about what he can do to change the mindset he deferred to his just execute focus. “Half the game is 90% mental” is so true!

19. By HazyDavy on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Marty, I posted last week that u needed to give the Jet’s Defensive Coordinator “the business”. I mean that. You’re closer to him then we are. Please tell him to rush more than 3. Chad will pick us apart if we don’t do something. How can we expect to beat the ‘phins if we couldn’t get a sack, or stop the run against a make shift defensive line in Seattle??? The Jets are done this year! :o(

20. By Paul Smith on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

What really pains me is that a team like the Jet’s can go 10-6 and not make the Playoffs.They league needs to fix that i mean a team wins 10 games out of 6 and still don’t make the playoffs?That isn’t right!

21. By Pranit on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

The day isn’t far away, when someone will rise (during Mangini’s presser) and throw shoes at him. This isn’t iraq or bush, but he’s probably a disgrace to the jets and the amount of talent that sorrunds him. Could have *easily* lost to NE without Brady..SF, OAK & Seattle. Agree, get rid of Barton (he’s pathetic). Need WR’s and a QB in next yr’s draft. And a coaching staff (thats my xmas wish 09)

22. By Frank on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Mikey Mc actually I wouldn’t mind some Marty Ball forget the rest of the lot. Although Marty has failed miserably during the post season his regular season record is terrific and I love the guy he has a pulse and he is entertaining. Spagnuolo makes the most sense since he is part of the Parcells coaching tree and from an organization that knows how to win. Even Drew can pull for him.

23. By mo on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

good article marty. I’m a Jets fan since 1969. I got my 1st jets helmet when I was 3 yrs old. Jets do good, jets do bad, I am and will always be a Jets fan. Fight til the end. Hope this team does the same. Go Jets

24. By Hogan on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Im with ya all the way Frank. Spagnuolo is our man, Go and get him Woody, Even if we make the playoffs. This guy is the next Coughlin.

25. By mikeod on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

marty and the sack exchange has been one few shining moments in the last 40 years…..ownership brought in mangini to change the philosphy and pyshce that has surronded this organization since ’68……they , he and this team have failed collectively. Why do we struggle so much on both sides of the ball at this point of the season against loser teams…hey jets! it’s the man in the mirror!

26. By Anthony on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Fight till the end fight til theres nothing left. Your judged on heart. Something one of my boxing trainers said to me and it has carried over. I think that is something the jets need to show this weekend. Just give it all and hopefully we can pull it off. And happy holidays to all my fellow Jet Fans…

27. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Doesn’t matter if we beat Miami or not it only adds fuel to the fire if we do beat the Finns ..We had the AFC east wrapped up 4 weeks in a row & blew it.. WILL ONLY PROVE if we played our game the celebration would have begun already & will once again mean we choked another season away .Or as Mikey MC would say another Dec meltdown ..Either way they failed rather lose hoping is fertile in Jet land

28. By Toby from Denver on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I agree, it was good to see more blitzes but 3 a game wont do. If you run a 3-4 you have to blitz more, bottom line. I also have yet to see much along the lines of adjustments at halftime. I’m no coach but it doesnt take one to see somethings missing. Merry christmas and Happy Holidays all!!!

29. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

No Ray your right none of your crew chose to follow. But we are 300 strong now at least ..Finally we aren’t going to listen to the bile of torment this team & your wait & see logic that has reared it’s ugly head 4 weeks in a row anymore .. & that being said I wish all of you & the crew a very merry Christmas & a happy new year no hard feelings Opinions are opinions.. Whether there yours or mine

30. By DMLark on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

The Jets won three tough road games against the Bills, Titans and Pats concecutive weeks. They have doubled their win total from last year. In any other town except the glass-is-half-empty NY, this would be considered an improvement.

31. By Kevin on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I am sick of this product the Jets give out. I am sick of needing help from other teams. The Jets do not deserve to make it and if they do its one more week of suffering for fans to go through. Santa maybe you can bring the Jets a Clue on Thursday and leave it under the coaches and players tree. In a time when all you cheer for is a jersey I am happy for a player nice work Chad. Merry Chistmas all

32. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

This is to Mikey MC- Ray-Drew- Ira etc. I will say this your loyalty is very admiral to Mangini .. I wish he showed you guy’s & the other fans that have supported him though this stink fest he displayed the same passion & fire.. I wanted him gone last year but as I though about it said to myself he had 1 good season 1 bad lets give him a third to see what hes made of . Well we know the answer now

33. By mo on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

3-4 defence is great to use. But we need to do blitz more often. I don’t see the blitzing happening, and if it is it is being picked up by the other team. With the 3-4 defence, blitzing should be the key elimant of surprise for the other team thus creating hurried up throw,maybe turnover and interception.They’ve done it. But not enough. need more blitzing go Jets

34. By MikeG on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

We can’t lose sight of the irony here. Many of the principal players from that magical last day in 2002 are involved again: Pennington, Favre, Dolphins and Pats. Can Ryan Lindell send shock waves through the Meadowlands again?
    Can Favre best Pennington this time around under the same circumstances? The more likely scenario is Jacksonville beating Baltimore, though.

35. By Peter on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Brett RATLIFF! Brett RATLIFF! Brett RATLIFF! Let’s see what RATLIFF has! Favre ARM is TIRED! At the start of the season FAVRE arm will be rested & strong. That is y FAVRE can throw the deep ball EARLY in the season. But by game 7, FAVRE arm starts getting TIRED & NOW u can see that he cannot throw the DEEP ball any more. This will happen NEXT yr with FAVRE if u bring him back. RATLIFF!

36. By Ken on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

How come the NFL doesn’t penalize the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS fans for throwing SNOW BALLS at the JETS players? But the NFL penalized ELLIS? The SEAHAWKS fans were throwing SNOW BALLS all over the JETS players first. Why isn’t the NFL saying ANYTHING about the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS fans????

37. By uncle joe on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

The Jets will beat Miami Sunday,which will save Mangini’s job,but we won’t make the playoffs because Ravens won’t lose and the Patriots are The Patriots,they are not just coached by(It really KILLS ME to say this)the best coach in the HISTORY of the NFL but also the LUCKIEST team in the history of the NFL.I also feel a repeat SUPERBOWL with NE winning.It’s just Jets luck!

38. By bill on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Well it’s time to show the coaches that they made the wrong choice taking OLD MAN Brett Favre over Chad Pennington Its told man time for Favre to call it quits. Its time to start rebuilding with younger players as Miami is doing they will be very strong in years to come.

39. By Jeremy on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

No offense, but all I can say is happy holidays! The coaching staff is a joke-I can’t watch this garbage anymore. Wish the players a great offseason. Hope to see a new DC & OC next year. Otherwise I can’t afford to watch games next season. In a must win game, lets see if Shotty can manage to get the Offense in the endzone, atleast once? Quit embarrassing us!
    Best of luck to Pennington!

40. By uncle joe on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Patriots will win the SuperBowl and laugh at the rest of the league.I said it FIRST!Then I will probably stop watching Football.We were suposed to have P.Manning(he stayed in College)Belicheck(he left us,and was right in telling Mangini not to destroy his career coming here)Farve when he was young and had an arm,Emmit Smith,ect.Randy or Ira make a list of “Jet should’ves but didn’ts”

41. By sal on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Marty
    something happened to the chemistry and unity of this team after Tenn. Law signing, Pro bowl annoucements The Ellis bust, or something behind close doors. But something happened to this team. You have been there, (boy time flys) Brets arm is hurt or tired and allowing that to end the seson is not right to the players or fans. They have back ups Happy and healthy to yours

42. By supercooljetfan on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

if penninghton was here we would have either the same or a worse record than we do.. we put up 67 more points than miami did this year…pennington gets that 1 lucky flea flicker a game and thas it

43. By TOM on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

According to NFL Transactions we signed RB Marcus Mason

who did we cut for him?

44. By Mike V on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

The Jets don’t have any fight in them. They lost to Seattle’s JV, 49ers, and the Raiders! If they had even an ounce of pride they would be 12-3. Same old Jets – no guts, no fight, no brains, and no pride. They want to win as long as it’s not too hard. What ever happened to the pride the ’68 team had? Gang Green will beat Miami because they always do – but it won’t mean anything. SAME OLD JETS!

45. By Charles M. Willis on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

WOW I’m a die hard Jet and Met fan since 1962 and it can’t get any worse than this. Mangini is terrible and must be replaced. This team lacks communications from the coach. Tom Landry he is not so at least act like you care and get excited once in a while. No communications on the side lines at all. Change up the plays and adjust to the needs of the game at hand. Sorry but I love the Jets.

46. By Rob R on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

How many times can this unprofessional team do the unthinkable? Against a team with all of three wins, fielding back-ups and scrubs, this team full of pro bowlers and first round draft picks gets embarrassed? That shows lack of leadership and more importantly a coaching staff that has been out coached week after week. Get rid of them. Chad will embarrass them Sunday.

47. By Frank on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Ira happy holidays to you and your family it’s been a wild roller coaster of emotions this year who knows whats in store this weekend. However, I am insulted…all my comments are good!

48. By Chad Pennington on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

How you like me now.

49. By Troy in Houston on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

so one tell me why its so hard for Mangini to be candid in his pressers,he cant handle the softball questions being thrown at him,no wonder he cant handle the pressures of gameplanning and scheming and MIDGAME ADJUSTMENTS,iv’e never heard anyone dodge more simple answer questions,is he so worried he’s going to hurt someones feelings,I wish he’d realize that might be whats missing call someone out

50. By Frank on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Why is it that as a distant but keen observer that I can pick out the guys that need to get released from the team. I said it since the off season Coles is finished and he hurt us tremendously this weekend and Ellis who again made another bonehead decision in tossing snow at fans. I demand right now that the New York Jets suspend him immediately. All this talk about character players is bunk!

51. By MikeMc on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Its Tues afternoon & I have had a change of heart. I still want Mangini to be my coach. I feel he has the plan to get us where we need to be. The players have not quit on him & unless that happens Sunday, I say we let him coach his last contract year. If he proves he can adjust his tactics & put a better product on the field, he will earn an extension. Sutton has to go & I’m 50/50 on Shotty.

52. By Frank on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I want Ellis off this team now I want management to be held accountable for their words. If they do neither then you have your answers for the complete meltdown of this organization the last few weeks. I don’t know what happened but there is a direct correlation between Ellis and his weed and the team meltdown. Suspend him for the game or are you proud he is the face of the organization, Tangini?

53. By Marty Lyons on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Tom, I can’t confirm that. Nothing has been announced today.

54. By Pranit on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

“What I’m looking for is to give the players a good plan to beat Miami,” …after every loss Mangini banters the same crap..when will he deliver the good plan? is he waiting for after the season is over (well, this season is already over).The defense is sooo bad that they can’t muster a sack againt reserves.mind-boggling..If Mangini is back next yr, there’ll be a lot of empty seats at jet games’09

55. By MikeMc on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I will say one thing the Favre experiment needs to be over, it was fun watching him throw picks, but he has no credibility here. The GreenBay Favre fans that migrated with Brett can stay, I know you love your Favre but its over for him. I get a kick out of you Wisconsin posters that still put no blame on him. Coles, Ellis, Franks, Ty Law,Smith,& Coleman(Drew&Kenyon)should be gone too.

56. By pranit on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I’d even consider our special teams coach for HC..Mike Westhoff…he’s got some fire in him…Need passion…need to play smashmouth football to be an elite team..look at the steelers, ravens etc..every play, every jet player seems lackadaisical…someone get in their faces..and please stop chewing gum on the sideline..its the worst kind of torture on every jet fan..agan, STOP the gum chewing.

57. By Ira on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

uncle joe, Instead of taking Brady they left on the board Law,Sapp and D.brooks. In 96 instead of of Van Dyke they could’ve taken B.Dawkins or L. Milloy.

58. By sal on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

it is sad when someon pretends to be someone else, repeats themself, cant think of any thing new to say, gets some fresh air,find some friends, they also have doctors who could help, GO JETS

59. By ed duignam on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Marty, your approach is exactly the problem!…Unfortunately with the high salaries and money to be made off of the NFL, nobody wants to rock the boat. So we should just hope for positive results now?..You struggled with some awful teamates in your career, how did you feel when you were giving a hundred percent and carrying the load for a slacker??…now take that feeling and multiply it by 100!

60. By sal on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

do you guys follow the nfl or what, havnt you seen enough quality cooridinators fall on their face as head coaches, look at weis,romeo, norv, list goes on. if they do go in a different direction, theyll need a vet that will take over the program and not reinvent the wheel. good luck with that i.e .beicheck. cooridinators and some coaches will be gone, surprized if manginis gone

61. By Jonathan Vilma on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

How you like me now

62. By CFU on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I don’t understand why the league fines Ellis for throwing snowballs back at the idiotic Seatle fans. It’s not our fault they stink this year. What bothers me is the league is not defending the players. Those fans should have been arested or fined. Ellis did nothing wrong except defend himself.

Great article Marty hope we get in PO’s.

63. By Tea on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I am getting really tired of Jets fans never been happy, If you wanted Chad you should have kept him; what was the Jets record last year and how far has Chad year after year has taken Jets team; It is getting old blaming Brett for poore coaching and terrible D. The Jets are 9-6 and by the way, Miami has solid D. So, Please, stop pointing fingers wrong directions and stop been ungreatful.

64. By Troy in Houston on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Espn’s John Clayton just reported that the Jets job would be the only one Bill Cohwer would take if Woody sends Eric and co. packing. This should be a no brainer with the new stadium coming in another year ,Emotion ,Stability ,strong D ,and WINNING,that would sell your PSL’s and season tickets Woody ,MAKE IT HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS THIS WEEK!

65. By Penny on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I really wanted to stay but sorry about the Jets situation. For some reason the organization (Eric) wanted to go in another direction. There are still SOME good guys in that locker room. I knew that I could still throw the long ball and win football games. Winning, leadership and my intangibles were not taught but rather are part of my DNA.
    Good luck, Chad

66. By Tom on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Jet fans are not ungrateful…they are just displeased with the way the coaching has gone about brett favre…in the beggining of the season they should have allowed favre to do his thing to get aquainted with the team and the playbook…they would be better off right now if they did

67. By MikeMc on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Troy I heard that report also, but where is Jon “oops I’m wrong again” Clayton getting his information? I really think he makes it up sometimes, Cowher would never talk about a coaching position while there is still a coach in place. Tea, take your precious infallable Brett & go home, why should he not be blamed, he’s the field general , right?Its championship or bust here,Brett was of little use.

68. By glenn rolfe on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

I am still in a state of shock over the lack of urgency I saw against the Seahawks last Sunday. What is going on within the Jets organization? It didn’t appear to me that these guys had any idea what was at stake, especially on offense. We had control of the division and we dropped it on the ground without even pretending that we cared. Who’s to blame for this? Schottenheimer? Mangini? or both?

69. By Gang Green on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

Two things bother me about the Jets as late!! 1. THEY DO NOT RUN THE BALL!! If anyone watch the Giants game they won the game on the ground. Whats the sense of having Thomas Jones if you are not going to use him in the game plan? He has proved time and time again that he can run the ball. Brett is not going the win the game in the air. My other complaint “Where the heck is the pass rush?”

70. By JETFOREAL on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

penny go to bed will you and Santa Cause Will bring you lots of joy and favre memorabilia as well lol give me a break is your favorite cheese chedder or mozzallela your not in wisconsin anymore

71. By JETFOREAL on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

chad Vilma and penny (chad penny whatever) please save yourselves from embarrassment and quietly leave this sit now because when its done and when its gone one thing baby carries on JETS TRADITION think about you slogan DOLL-FAN LOL man thats funny and have a gay ol time singing that i have 4 words for ya J E T S JETS JETS JETS

72. By Steve on Dec 23, 2008 | Reply

week in and week out they make these no name quaterbacks look like hall of famers with there 3 guys blitzing… how can they send 3 guys, have 8 dropped back, and still have these recivers WIDE open!!! its rediulous!

73. By Bill on Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

I’m not even a Jets fan, but I’m sick of Favre fans both from Green Bay and New York Favre is the most over-rated qb in the history of the game. He only broke Marino’s records because he’s playing till he’s 99 years old. In the past 4 weeks, Bret has a 54 QB rating. Isn’t everyone used to Bret throwing more interceptions that touchdowns by now.

74. By Hooray for TEa on Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

THANK YOU TEA. AT LEAST SOMEONE SPEAKS THE TRUTH. I AM SICK AND TIRED ABOUT THE LOVE FOR CHAD AND PERPETUAL DAMNATION FOR FAVRE. GOOD FOR CHAD BUT ITS WITH ANOTHER TEAM AND A GUY BY THE NAME OF PARCELLS. I PRAY THAT FAVRE AND THE JETS COULD HAVE GUYS IN THE OFFICE THAT HAVE IT TOGETHER LIKE THEM

75. By Anonymous on Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

Brooklyn Bridge “The Worst That Could Happen”.
    Mangini, Woody, Mr. T, and #4 Watching Chad
    and the Fish put on those AFC East Champion
    Hats on the Giants Stadium Field at about 7:20PM
    sunday. You think Woody has had a hard time
    selling or auctioning off thoses “special” 50yard
    seats wait until that happens. Esp if all the loyal
    Jet fans sell their tickets to Fish fans.

76. By Southbronxden on Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

Amen Troy in houston, I’ve been aJets fan before they were the Jets. Cohwer will give the Jets a level playing field when playing other good coaches. Mangini is lost when pitted with tough coaching

77. By kaya on Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

It’s amazing how almost every body is wishing we had Chad. It’s probably the same group who couldn’t stand him when he was here, figures. But let me make a point here Chad had 8 yrs in which 3 he got us to the playoff and 5 which he did not and was half the time hurt. Amazing how he is not hurt now for the Fins, but wait until he starts to hurt Fin fans!!!

78. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

Cowher is a good coach but he may be burnt out right now don’t really know.. I would take a shot on Dick Lebeau his DOC this guy has proven how consistent he’s been over the years .& still hungry with something to prove Keep westhoff get Coles out of here already… Draft a big receiver let Rhatty play with Clowny Stucky Keller dump VG for some1 who can play the position lets do this already

79. By Alex on Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

Every season chad started 12 or more games for us, we went to the playoffs. That’s a very telling stat, it essentially means, that if he’s healthy, he’s a franchise playoff quarterback. I was saying all of this in august when everybody trashed chad and thought favre was the savior. This unconditional love of favre is strange to me, most of my packer friends hate him b/c he loses you games.

80. By Tea on Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

Thanks Hooray, I am not GB fan, I love the Jets and watching Chad warming bench year after year was painful… he had 8 years. Some jets fans are ungrateful, we are all dissapointed no doubt about, but we have made tremendous improvement from last year, Miami is doing well because of the organization NOT BECAUSE OF CHAD!!!!!
    I do wish Chad best of luck, he is a good guy.

81. By CustomFrank on Dec 25, 2008 | Reply

Marty,
    Happy Holidays to You and Yours !
    It’s fun to see you bleeding green like the rest of us and like the rest of us you are now just waiting to see how it’s all going to shake out on week 17.
    Personally I have a bad feeling about this week because now Favre is saying he’s been hurt and its like telling the enemy that your wounded before a battle.
    The Fins will go at him hard especially Porter.

82. By iowachick on Dec 25, 2008 | Reply

I hope the guys can pull it together and get a good win Sunday. But no matter what, they have come a long way since last year. Chad was never a right fit so If the fins win, its the team not ,something Chad could have done with the Jets. I think we need to count our blessings and having a good season much improved. This has not been a flop—and Brett favre has been fun. A talented team – Go Jets

83. By 35 year fan on Dec 25, 2008 | Reply

The pain of watching the Jets is immense. Too chicken to call some blitzes. I’m Sick to my stomach watching it crumble every year.It feels like we almost deserve to go down to Miami. If we cant beat some off -the -bench backups,we dont belong in any post season. Ashamed , embarrassed ,sickened just another year rootin’ for the Jets !!!

84. By Anonymous on Dec 25, 2008 | Reply

Woody, I hope you realize that while you will probably continue to fill seats, they will NOT be filled with the spirited, loyal and devoted fans you now and have had. The true pride that once came with being a JETS fan has for me, diminished to not having any team allegiance. This is truly sad since I have been a season ticket holder for 21 years. How many more years of disappointment???

85. By Anonymous on Dec 26, 2008 | Reply

Let me tell you I have no confidence in the Jets right now. the Jets had a great shot at winning the division and they blew it. I hope our “pro bowlers” think about that. Next seaon, New England is going to be healthy and Miami is only going to get better. Both offensive and defensive coordinators have got to go. If they don’t, the whole staff should go. Id rather see the Fins in than the Pats.

86. By george on Dec 27, 2008 | Reply

Jets had there chance. Fins will win.