• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

An LB, a WR and a QB for Jets in Early Mocks

Posted by Randy Lange on February 18, 2009 – 5:54 pm

Let the mocks begin.

Actually, draft analysts have been mocking away for a while already. It gets earlier and earlier each year. The NFL has become the football equivalent of the Davis Cup, with provisional mocks being conducted before the current season is over.

Here, on the arrival day for this year’s NFL combine workouts in Indianapolis, are a few of the selections being made for the Jets in recent mocks on NFL sites I like to visit.

Steve Wyche, now a senior writer at nfl.com who not long ago was the excellent beatwriter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, has tabbed Ohio State LB James Laurinaitis for the Jets at No. 17 , stating in his analysis that "New Jets head coach Rex Ryan loves LBs who can get to the ball, and Laurinaitis certainly can do that."

Scout.com’s Chris Steuber has updated his mock in advance of the combine and he has Florida WR Percy Harvin coming up I-95, stating that the Jets "have to add more playmaking ability on offense and provide whoever is their QB next year with a versatile weapon. Harvin is the answer."

And draftek.com has Georgia QB Matthew Stafford falling to the Jets at No. 17.

I’ll mention more mock results from free Websites that you can check out in the coming days and weeks.

Anthony’s Ace

Anthony Lynn is an up-and-coming RBs coach in the NFL and the Jets have him. I profiled him as part of newyorkjets.com‘s series of stories on Rex Ryan’s new coaching staff and that story is now live.

Lynn was an NFL back  and special-teamer from 1993-99, mostly with Denver but for 1995-96 with San Francisco. It was with the ’96 Niners that he ripped off the longest run of his career and more than one-third of his career total, a 67-yarder in an already decided game against the Falcons.

"Probably what made it special was that week I played golf with John Madden’s assistant," Lynn recalled. "John lived in Danville, Calif., and I got my first hole-in-one in Pleasanton. And so after that run, it gave John something to talk about on the air, I guess, so he talked about the hole-in-one."

Tags: , ,

86 Responses to “An LB, a WR and a QB for Jets in Early Mocks”

1. By Russell on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

The problem with these mock drafts is that they ignore what teams do during the free agency period. First, the Jets need to decide what to do with both their restricted and unrestricted free agents before hitting the open market. I for one would like the Jets to sign ILB Scott from Baltimore, DE Canty from Dallas and CB McAlister from Baltimore, if his knee is healed. And don’t sign any QB’s.

2. By roman on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

we definitely need a receiver big time, coles is getting older and doesnt have that much left in his tank, we still have some younger receivers but adding Harvin could possibly make our offense more explosive no matter whos our qb

3. By john on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

Looking at Wych’s mock draft, I’d rather see the Jets take Tyson Jackson, who Wyche has going to the Bears on the next pick. Jackson, Ellis and Jenkins would be one heck of a front three for this defence……if they sign Scott from Baltimore, they would have the best front 7 in football IMHO.

4. By Brandon on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy ..Do u think its possible that the jets will drop Barton and pick up a solid ILB like Maualuga to complement Harris in the middle ????

5. By john on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

I hope we go after scott then go for a corner with our 17 and maybee the qb from kansas freeman might still be around I also like wr britt.

6. By Mike on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

One guy I am hoping falls into our lap is Jeremy Maclin. This guy is a baller, and I think (if available) he could start for us immediately. He is more of a small speedster like steve smith but if we want to go the tall/fast/tough route we should also look at Darius Heyward-Bey from MD. The kid has all the tools, looks like a mix between Anquan Boldin and Lee Evans.

7. By wayne on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

Bart Scott’s productivity has been a direct result of playing next to Ray Lewis.Apart from Ray he’ll never be the same.Canty’s done nothing in Dallas, Mccallister is done.Do we really want another over the hill vet from someplace else?There are no impact receivers lying around just waiting for us to pick.Develop one.Then we won’t have to call them GARBAGE when they don’t work out.They’re men.

8. By joe b on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

Word is the Jets are talking with recently released Ex-Pat WR Kelley Washington. He is known as a speedster but had little success in NE. Only one catch this season. With Moss and Welker he probably didn’t see the field that much. Could be worth signing.

9. By Jay on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

Russell – you are exactly right. McAlister should be a discount based on injuries but is better than any of our CBs except Revis. Scott should be top priority, and should there be cash available Canty or Jim Leonhard would be perfect to set up a top 5 defense. I’m sick of hearing about the QBs, in any other draft year and they are 3rd rounders. Defense in FA, Maclin or another WR in draft.

10. By Anonymous on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

Believe it or not Theyre are very good qb’s who arent predicted to be taken, I Live in Florida and Percy Harvin is a very good player, but whats the point in that? We have somebody like him in David Clowney, you know the guy everyone praises ? Ratliff well Clowney was the one he was throwing those passes too before he got injured. Also DRAFT PAT WHITE AS QB OR GRAHAM HARRELL

11. By mike on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

if we don’t sign Bart Scott than we have to go MLB. We have young QB’s already and Clowney at WR so why would we go that direction. I really hope that Rex can bring a high octane D to NY, when you have that you can win in any game. If the football gods are looking down on us than he can turn Gholston into a Lawerence Taylor. No pressure.

12. By Jetsman on Feb 18, 2009 | Reply

I think that Julius Peppers could be an option for us. He said he wanted to play for a 3-4 defense, and there were 4 teams on his list. 1 or 2 were in the AFC, and that could be the Jets…

13. By Johnny Cool on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Moch drafts are useless before free agency starts. We need a WR (tall,fast) ,LB,CB, SS ( to play along side Rhodes, can we trade for Tommy Z?). Here are some names I’d Like to see in a green jersey, if possible: Lewis, McAllister, Peppers. Picking up any of those players would change our draft, no? I doubt any of the top 2 QB’s will be waiting for us.

14. By Danny on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

i do think we should bring in whichever baltimore LB becomes available, if possible. but we also need another shutdown corner to play across from revis, which we should be able to get from the draft. at wideout, we arent in too much trouble this year, as long as Clowney and Stuckey are healthy, plus we could always use Keller

15. By Scott on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Forget wide-receiver early. Those prima-donnas can be had in the late part of the draft and not worth wasting a high pick. This team screams for a edge pass rusher who can put his hand down at the line and a speed or bull rush and hit the damn qb! J.Abraham was the last guy like that and they didn’t have him enough when he was there as he kept being hurt or unwilling to pony up come the playoffs!

16. By Ira on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Randy, I would say that none of the three you mentioned will be drafted by the Jets. They will take the best available CB. Suggs got the tag now Mr. T has to go sign Scott next week. Take care of Moore ASAP.

17. By Mike on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Don’t forget last year we were putting up a lot of points consistantly. Favre may have had something to do with that, but we still have a lot of talent offensively. Yes Coles is getting older, but we still have other weapons to score with. I feel we should hold other teams to lower points so we don’t have to score so much. I think that is what Rex Ryan will bring, just sit back and have faith.

18. By Randy Lange on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Anything’s possible, Brandon, but I don’t evaluate personnel. Others may have opinions on this, though.

19. By Get Kurt!! on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

We are not going to get Harvin, this is reality. The only way would be to trade up in the draft. Signing Scott from Baltimore would be a great addition, and we need to bring in a veteran QB to compete for the spot. I’m confident with our current defensive backs and don’t see a need to add there, especially with Rex coaching them now. We need a big time WR, who and how.

20. By Brandon on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

I agree with Scott, the Jets haven’t had much of a pass rusher the past 2 years except for Jenkins. A good pick for the Jets would be Brian Orakpo or Aaron Maybin. They’re both showing promise and the Jets could use a pass rusher.

21. By Hogan on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

I dont know. Gotta say like 80% of mocks did have us taking Gholston last year.

22. By Ira on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Randy, Now that Lechler resigned with the Raiders and Koch is a RFA the Jets might have to look in the draft or college undrafted players for a punter to compete with Hodges. Punting will be very important for this team this year and they must have good production from whoever it may be. Randy what happened to Joe Smith from the Yakima Mavericks?

23. By vinney off the couch on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

we might need to go after vick or cassel. if we decide to go with clemmons and whatever the other 2 qb’s name is we are sending a message that we are trying to rebuild for the future the future is now!!! it was crazy to sit up and watch us play chad p. for what could have been a playoff spot.

24. By SucioJets on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

I also think Scott would be a great pick, I’ll stay put on secondary and at QB, this might be a surprise to most but I’ll take Knowshon Moreno at 17 to take over in 2 years side by side with Washington. Plus, in the second round I’ll take the sleeper wideout in the whole draft Juaquin Iglesias from Oklahoma.

25. By kimosabe on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

..depending on our cap issues,I wouldn’t mind picking up scott and leonhard in FA…maybe a DB in the draft and some OL for depth…

26. By Hogan on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Get Kurt, you dont think we need to add a DB. Did you watch the right games last year or R U not a football fan. That is by far our most glaring need. BOTH SAFTY AND CB. Luckily Law, Poteat, and Elams contracts R all up and Barret is allready gone.

27. By SucioJets on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Let’s pick up ILB Scott from B-more and if possible S. leonards, stay put on QB wait till next year to pursue Tebow heavy. With the 17th pick draft Knowson Moreno, let him learn for a year and start him on his second year, I believe Jones won’t repeat. In the second round I’ll pick up Juaquin Iglesias from Oklahoma I think he’ll be a sleeper, nasty after the catch kinda wideout. Finally, wait till next year for Tebow and by that time the defense would have come together and roll out the red carpet for Tebow to lead the Jets to glory! Tebow at QB, stuckey, cotchery, and iglesias at WR, Washington, and Moreno at RB, Keller at TE picture that?

28. By Thomas H. on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

I am sick and tired of Lowery getting burned down after down. We need to find a guy to pair up with Revis. McAllister won’t be the answer. There is some decent DB talent in this draft class.
    We could take Scott, but Gholston can’t be that bad. He’ll grow.
    I don’t like drafting WRs. We need someone who can make an immediate impact and unless we trade for Crabtree, the other ones are raw.

29. By Jay on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Jets need a big reciever,..emphasis on Big.They have needed one since keyshawn left and i don’t think they are going to get one. Free agency is going to go to linebckers and cornrbacks, We’re talking about the New York Football Jets so chances are they will pick a bust. I’m leading towards Sanchez from USC folowing the cutting of clemens and the 3rd string.Then we might see a vet from Free agency

30. By Stunna on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

i would not like to see the jets spend money on jeff garcia and they better not as he also is on the brink of retirement cmon i dnt wanna c the sme thing that happened this year of a QB getting injured coz he did get injured last yr n blame his ag for the lack of productivity they need a vet with some years left in the tank, leftwich or grossman i would go with, i am tired of aging QBs go JETS

31. By sean on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

The jets Need a bigtime wide receiver and wouldnt mind it being chad johnson or TJ Housh. they already got three qbs eric ainge looks to be very promissing they really should consider getting rid of cleemens he had his shot and he blew it hes just sitting there waisting room go after kurt warner there is no need to go after a qb this draft and we also have no need for a early pick in the secondary

32. By Randy Lange on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Ira, Joe Smith returned to Yakima and is on the Mavericks’ 2009 roster. By the way, if anyone wants to ride the $30 bus to Lapwai, Idaho, for the Mavs’ season opener against the Hells Canyon Thunder on April 4, you can sign up at yakimavericks.com.

33. By Sam on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

The JETS need a BIG **(TALL)** WR. The JETS need a WR who is MINIMUM height of 6’4, with LONG arms. And can catch! NO more SMALL players and WRs!

34. By Lee on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

The Jets should go with the LB from Ohio State. He seems pretty good. A WR is a dumb Idea. We got Coles who is good but I’ll admit he’s getting old, Jericho Cotchery who is awesome, and Dustin Keller, I know he’s a TE but an amazing reciver too. We can put one of our QB’s in for this year. They all have something to provide. Our deffense is already awesome so why not add Lurinaitus to the roster.

35. By Scott on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

I haven’t seen any DB’s linked to the Jets in mock drafts. I think it’s the Jets biggest need. Maybe they’ll look into FA for one. How would Nnamdi Asomugha if he hasn’t been franchised yet or Dunta Robinson look opposite Revis?

36. By Anonymous on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

we need to look at middle linebacker jasper brinkley as a late round steal hes got great size and could wind up being a ray lewis type of player.

37. By Anonymous on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

there is no way stafford falls to us at 17, and laurinaitis will not be good in the nfl. Mike Teel from Rutgers is a guy with an nfl arm and has some potential if he can work on his decision making and consistancy. He would be a good pick in the 4th round or later

38. By Ira on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Randy, Love it. I might have to consider making that trip to kick start the 09 season. And i could send in a scouting report after the game. Were would that rate compaired to making those 4 WC Trips last year?

39. By JETSfanALLday on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Draft Percy Harvin !! you can wildcat a 2 RB shotgun with Brad Smith at QB and Leon and Percy on each side of him…..but i also like Laurenitis too

40. By scjoe on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

I think if we can’t sign Lewis or Scott as FAs the best thing to do is try to move up a few spots and sign Maualuga out of USC. If not, I think the most pressing need is best DB available, corner or safety, followed by best available WR.

41. By Randy Lange on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Ira, it’s a 177-mile busride from Yakima to Lapwai. I’d wait for the Mavericks’ home opener the next weekend vs. the Blue Mountain Stars or the home game the following weekend vs. the South Sound Shockers.

42. By jibran on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

whats the jets need on offense, is a new offensive coordinator. they need some one to call plays that function past the line of scrimmage. there is no QB nor any WRs that can make this offense shine again

43. By Steve on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

How does draftec.com have Matthew Stafford fallling to the Jets at no 17? I keep hearing he could be the overall no 1 pick in the draft. I think Percy Harvin is more realistic to give the Jets offense the playmaker they need. I don’t think they need to draft another linebacker in the first round either.

44. By Get Kurt on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

HOGAN?? Do I watch football? Brilliant, you are brilliant. I’m quite happy with Revis and Lowery, and Rhodes, another safety wouldn’t hurt but we need a WR.
    If I’m paying my thousands for PSL’s I would much rather the money be spent there. But to each there own opinion, I don’t need to insult you to feel better about myself. LETS GO JETS!!!

45. By dboulos on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

we dont need a qb w/ the run oriented O were going to run. our qb has to stretch the field and complete 10-15yd balls to keep D’s honest. Both clemens and ratliff have that ablility. The key is D and we need some serious secondary help. Pass D was horrible when our front 7 couldnt get a pass rush, but there arent many stellar dbs come mid1stround. Trade down, loadup on db/lbs w/ extra picks

46. By Jakeberk on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

What is all this about needing a middle linebacker? David Harris is still around and Barton was our leading tackler last year, including 14 in the game against the Pats i believe. We need help in the secondary and definetly a playmaking receiver. ANQUAN BOLDIN

47. By Justin on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

I really hope the Jets draft defence this year now with Rex Ryan as our Head Coach. With Eric Barton leaving to Free Agency we need a replacement, and a young talented Linebacker such as James Laurinaitis is a perfect replacement, they don’t call him “the animal” for nothing. Or I could see a DE at 17 aswell, someone like Tyson Jackson who is a run stuffing playmaker in the trenches of a 3-4 D.

48. By Drew on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

I want no part of P Harvin. We have a player just like him already that we can’t get the ball to….his name is L Washington!!! We need to draft a ILB if we can’t get B Scott. If we do get Scott. I would go to CB or big WR…I would even like to trade down if we could. There are a ton of late 1st early 2nd round WR’s like Hicks, Britton, etc…

49. By supercooljetfan on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

i doubt this will happen but would love to see kenny britt fall to us in the 2nd rd…has all the attributes but since he played for rutgers kinda scares me

50. By Brian Sommer on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

I am a big fan of CB Vontae Davis. He has good size. A good back pedal and is fluid in the hips, he also has good recovery speed. He will be a nice compliment to Revis. This Kid has great confidence and can start right away. If he is off the board by pick 17.Then take Harvin. Harvin can be a game breaker, durability may be a concern though. Wr Kenny Britt from Rutgers might be an option in rd.2 .

51. By dboulos on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

btw, all of you that say clemens has had his shot are and he should be gone are wrong. hes only started a handfull of games when we were 4-12 w/ no D and no O-line. Oh yea, he started for 3 of those wins, would have been 4 if stonehands (mccareins) would catch that ball in B-more. He has a great arm, is mobile and tough. Given a strong D, time to throw and a run O he can be Flacco-esk.

52. By Hogan on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

Kurt, I am all for a WR (Kenny Britt is one of my fav. players in this draft) I am just saying our secondary is the biggest hole. I like Lowery and belive he will be a great 3rd back 2nd eventually but not now. Oh yeah and I never feel good about myself insult or otherwise.(Think somebody —- in my cereal this morn, nothing personal) Youre right though—JET FANS UNITE

53. By Alan on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

If everyone wants a wideout so bad, we should just trade up for crabtree otherwise get us a CB but honestly i like Pat White in this draft or Graham Harrell

54. By Alexander on Feb 19, 2009 | Reply

So many of you have to start watching college ball. Some of these names being thrown around are ludicrous. Tebow will not play QB in the NFL, I guarantee it. Maybin, Orakpo will not fall to 17. Were not drafting Freeman in the 2nd. Stop looking at the most talented player in the draft and hoping the Jets will get them. They will most likely draft a LB(OSU or USC) or a CB(IL) in the 1st round.

55. By Nick on Feb 20, 2009 | Reply

All terrible ideas. Wrap your minds around Patrick Chung and Hakeem Nicks.

56. By jim on Feb 20, 2009 | Reply

The Jets will go corner. They should move Lowery to Saftey he will be a monster. Let the young qbs play this year they might surprise and if they don’t next years qb class is pretty strong plus Cassel will be a fa and cost nothing. Sign Scott he is 5 years younger than Lewis. They could also go rb early in draft because they want to pound the ball (moreneo or wells should be available)

57. By Ryan on Feb 20, 2009 | Reply

The Jets need a more expolosive offense, but Rex Ryan is a defensive coach, which leads me to believe that they will go defense first round. Eric Barton is old, too slow and terrible in coverage. He also doesn’t get to the Quarterback well. They Jets need to get an explosive playmaker. That man is Rey Maualuga. He and David Harris in front of Kris Jenkins would be the “belly of the beast.” Get Him

58. By Ray on Feb 20, 2009 | Reply

Good post Alexander. People throw out names in here like we can just have our pick of any player in the draft. Same with FA, some of these guys people are saying we should pick up aren’t even available! And Nick, are you serious? Who should we pick in the 1st round?

59. By 35 year fan on Feb 20, 2009 | Reply

The jets war-room strategy should be ; draft a killer linebacker someone who can get to the ball. Let me tell you why. Thats why our season collapsed last year . No pass rush. No pressure. The end of the season the jets had the worst defense Ive ever seen. Or another option is a Big running back. We can trade for Derek Anderson at QB He’s Great. But keep Eric Ainge he’s our next flamethrower.

60. By mike on Feb 20, 2009 | Reply

Dear randy and all jets fans or team

All those players in the draft are good. But I think you should go with Pat white becuase he is a great player. Pat White of the west virginia mountaineers is a terrific player. He will do good and he can pass, And run!!!. THis is an opinion from a NEW YORK JETS fan since day 1.take it from me, he is a great player, and a great choice.

61. By wvjetsfan on Feb 20, 2009 | Reply

i agree pat white is a great athlete, a team first player and a winner (5 bowl games) ive watched him for 4 years now give him a shot to compete for the job and i think he’ll be our starting QB next year. plus i think we could get him with or 2nd round pick.

62. By TJL630 on Feb 21, 2009 | Reply

Pat White is a great athlete but we don’t need him and he probably won’t be a QB in the NFL. He is more likely to be turned into a runner or receiver . He is great in the open field, but he is small and he doesn’t have a great arm. I like the guy a lot, but if you have truly watched him, you’ll see most of his long pass completions are 10 yd pass + 30-50 yard run. We need a big WR, Safety or RB.

63. By Sean TOmpkins on Feb 21, 2009 | Reply

I think it would actually be a great idea to bring in a receiver with the 17th overall pick and to solve the pass rush problem it would be a great idea to look to trade for peppers who claims he wants to play in a 3-4 defense which the jets have with no good defensive ends

64. By CED on Feb 21, 2009 | Reply

I AGREE, PAT WHITE WOULD BE GOOD CHOICE, QB IS DEF WHAT WE NEED. AS FAR AS DRAFT LB, WE GOT BURNED LAST YEAR WITH GHOLSTON, WHAT HE PLAY 6 PLAY ALL YEAR,LOL. A 1ST RD SPECIAL TEAMER, THATS WHO WE NEED TO GET CONTRIBUTING, OTHER THAN KICK COVERAGE

65. By robert on Feb 21, 2009 | Reply

I think you get percy harvin pick qb in second round 3rd Lb

66. By robert on Feb 21, 2009 | Reply

hey randy wa wandering if the Jets will look at kerry collins who fa this year if tenn. dont sign him go jets go

67. By carlos blanco on Feb 22, 2009 | Reply

I,m a jet fan since 1980, I,m very disapointed with the team, they have to adquire a good qb, like manning, brady or cassel, i like cassel from the patriots, the have to rebuilt the defense, please do this for me, adqire mat cassel, its the quarter back of the future, be smart jets, please for once in the life, I suffered a lot in the past, I want good plays and a good team, i live in madrid

68. By carlos blanco on Feb 22, 2009 | Reply

Im a jet fan, since 1980, please give mea favor, adquire mat cassel, we deserve a goodqb, kellens is not the man, I WANT TO SEE THE JETS WIN IN 2009

69. By Alee on Feb 22, 2009 | Reply

Get Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis in the first round, QB in the second.

70. By Anonymous on Feb 22, 2009 | Reply

get maualuga, we need tl build up our defense

71. By Tom on Feb 22, 2009 | Reply

What about the kid Nicks from UNC, he is a big playmaker with great hands. harvin is explosive but he is short i think the jets could really use a big physical receiver and Nicks is it. I have heard people say he reminds them of Larry Fitzgerald.

72. By Johnny Cool on Feb 22, 2009 | Reply

If we can pick up free agents LB Scott, CB McAllister, SS Leonard (all Ravens), then during the draft we can focus on the other positions needed. I doubt QB’s Stanford or Sanchez will be there but Freemon just might.WR Crabtree won’t be there but Heyward-Bey, Robiske or Knicks just might be.

73. By Jets Fan on Feb 22, 2009 | Reply

Hey randy, what is your opinion on former oregon wide out Jaison Williams? I think he would be a great late round pick up at 6’5 237 and runs a 4.5. the only knock on him is his hands which can be corrected. If not him than i also like greg carr from florida state should be a 7th rd./FA. at 6’6 he is EXTREMELY effective in the redzone due to his height and leaping ability. What do u think randy?

74. By Anonymous on Feb 23, 2009 | Reply

i think the jets should go for parcy harvin and then try to get a trade with the falcons for micheal vick

75. By Bishop Hunter on Feb 23, 2009 | Reply

The Jets either need to draft a CB or WR. There is also no need to draft a QB when we have 2 (Ratlif, Ainge) already on the team that could be cultivated behind the outstanding line and upgraded running game that they are paying all that money for. Give it some time and get it right instead of going for the “miracle” fix.

76. By Randy Lange on Feb 23, 2009 | Reply

I think you’ve done your homework, Jets Fan. And a tall wideout would be a nice addition.

77. By Max on Feb 23, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy, what do you think about starting Brett Ratlif and drafting a CB. Then we should go out and pick up Bart Scott in free agency. Eric Barton is old and makes a lot of mistakes.

78. By Randy Lange on Feb 23, 2009 | Reply

Max, I’ll let Rex Ryan, Brian Schottenheimer, Matt Cavanaugh and John DeFilippo make the QB decisions, but I’m as eager as you to see Brett Ratliff compete for the starting job in the coming months.

79. By Mike Minella on Feb 23, 2009 | Reply

Im so tired of everyone saying the Jets should draft a QB or sign a free agent.. For once I would like to see the Jets give one of there youngsters a shot, especially with the “O” line and the running game. We need a BIG receiver and defensive players, use the draft and free agency to fill those holes. I can’t wait to see the defensive scheme that Rex Ryan brings to the Jets.

80. By Still Going Green on Feb 23, 2009 | Reply

Mock drafts are nice to keep the football talk going on ESPN but anyone can do a first round mock draft. Over the years the Jets have made some curious draft decisions. Unless there is a top player avalable at 17, trade the pick and get more players in later rounds. Under Tom Landry, the Cowboys did that for 20 yrs and made the palyoffs 19 of them. It’s time to change the way we think.

81. By JB on Feb 23, 2009 | Reply

Just what the Jets need, a linebacker from OSU that got to the QBs in the Big Ten.
    The need is for a DE, a WR and a SS. Depth at CB and LB is also needed. Could Our OSU flash from 2008 be converted to a DE where he would be of some use. A first round special teams player – ugh.

82. By NYJMAN on Feb 24, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy how much of a chance do we have that our QB of the future is already on our roster… I feel that if we strenghten the rest of the team ie: ” cb, wr, s, ilb ” the qb situation will take care of itself

83. By Randy Lange on Feb 24, 2009 | Reply

NYJMAN, from everything that Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan have said recently, there is a very good chance that the Jets’ starting QB is already on the roster. But don’t ask me to put a number on it.

84. By john avvento on Feb 25, 2009 | Reply

Randy, I can’t see Stafford falling out of the top ten. I doubt whether he would get passed a team like Seattle or K.C. He scares me, though, because he is coming out early and, unlike the 2 rookie qb’s from last years first round, he is not a 5th yr senior and hasn’t been through the wars on a college level. A big play receiver’s needed, but if a pass-rusher is there or Moreno, I’d grab em’!

85. By carlos on Feb 25, 2009 | Reply

Im a jet fan since 1980, I suffered a lot…, please, adquire mat cassel, or kurt warner, be smart, spend samrt money, dont bring bulger please, and release kellen clemens, thanks

86. By Bill on Feb 26, 2009 | Reply

I’m glad Rex and Mike are sounding like they want to give the young QBs already on the team a fair shot at becoming the starter. I never liked he fact that Farve was brought in last season and from what I saw, Brett Ratiff was winning the pre-season competition.