• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Rex as Coach? ‘Great Move,’ Says Buttle

Posted by Randy Lange on March 5, 2009 – 5:15 pm

Greg Buttle, the former Jets middle linebacker behind the Sack Exchange front line, was visiting the completed Atlantic Health Training Center this morning for the first time.

"If I’d’ve had this when I was playing," he said, smiling and striking a pose for a group in the hallway that included owner Woody Johnson, "I’d’ve been even better."

He might’ve been. Buttle was a fine player. And as a broadcaster, I’ve grown to appreciate him. He remains a proud, passionate guy and he shoots straight from his heart as only a former pro linebacker can.

Buttle was here today for a few reasons. He conducted an interview with Johnson for our Website, and he met head coach Rex Ryan for the first time.

But before going from Interview Room No. 2 to Rex’s office, all on the first floor, he made a detour up to my second-floor perch to say hello. I wanted to check in with him to get some info for a plug I want to give him on SNY’s Saturday 11:30 a.m. season premiere of "Jets Nation," which he’ll have a part in as usual.

And I wanted to ask him what he expected, not at that time having met Ryan, from the new coaching regime.

"I would say this to Jets fans, from my arm’s-length view of what the Jets have done so far this off-season," he said. "Without a doubt, the head coach is a great move.

"Now Bart Scott may turn out to be a great move, and we assume it would be. And Jim Leonhard may be a great move, and we assume it’s going to be a good move. And other players that are moving in and out we assume would be good.

"But Rex Ryan? Great move. This guy’s a throwback, he’s transparent, he’s not hiding anything," Buttle continued. "And you know what? As a player, from a former player, you can appreciate a coach that when he looks you in the eye and tells you something, he means it, and he’s not going to change his mind or tell you something different the next day."

And that, said Buttle, is Rex Ryan: "He comes from those old-school guys, the Buddy Ryans and the Walt Michaels of the world. That’s where it comes from."

I’m not sure how I feel about the now mustacheless Buttle, but I like his input on ESPN Radio and SNY and occasionally for newyorkjets.com. Greg said he’ll send me a blog in the near future about some of his views on the upcoming draft. I’m looking forward to it.

Tags: , , , , ,

96 Responses to “Rex as Coach? ‘Great Move,’ Says Buttle”

1. By russ on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

Greg is first class guy..Watching him cover up for Gastinau on the field did not go unnoticed…Too bad we never stayed the course with Walt Michaels..we might have have won a bowl or two…..

2. By steven on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

How about a trade for Vince Young and one of those 6’8″ tight end free agents

3. By florida on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

Buttle was the best. a fine person, lb, and represented the jets with class.

4. By Brendan on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

Rex is definitely a great move. i was so happy when i heard the news a month or two ago. mike and woody made a great decision. anyway, Randy whats the story with corey ivy… is he going to sign or not. i havent heard anything in the past few days so I’ve been a little curious. why Ivy anyway… why not a chris MCalister. he is definitely a better player and he’s experienced with the rex’s D-fense

5. By Chris S on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

I agree 100%..T-Rex is definitely making great changes this off-season as the new head coach. I’ve truly never been so happy with the new additions to the defense, until now! All I am worried about is who’s going to fill in the receiver spot for LC..did you hear anything Randy?

6. By Jay on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

Considering our history, at 0-0 he is probably our 3rd best coach behind Tuna and Weeb. This defense will be lights out behind Rex. Although I’m hoping for Maclin, Britt or a trade up for Crabtree, if Tyson Jackson is available what a defense we would have. This team is young and talented. If the qbs play even adequate look out- Collins made pro bowl w 12 tds thanks to team talent. exciting!!

7. By Randy Lange on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

Nothing yet, Chris S, but we’ve got six more weeks of free agency and then the draft, so I’m confident.

8. By Randy Lange on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

Brendan, Corey Ivy visited but I’ve heard nothing since. Rex Ryan is familiar with both Ivy and Chris McAlister, so I trust him to make the best call there.

9. By Vincent on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

Like I’ve said – the best import so far for the Jets has been Rex. Let’s hope he lives up to expectations, and can handle the massive pressure that NY Jets fans will place upon him. I reckon he may be the one to bring us to the promised land.

10. By Anonymous on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

LC overstayed his welcome. Forget drafting a QB, go with Ratliff, get Clowney in the rotation, keep Rhodes and let’s get busy. Should be a good year (despite the schedule).

11. By sal on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

this team will be crazy not to make a move on Owens, the pats will continue to get stronger, while ryan talks tough, we have delt w/ nut jobs before, gasteneau, riggins etc, they we remember.. The offence needs this guy, or theyll be looking at the TV come playoffs, Woody want to sell PSL’s, here u go, on a silver plater

12. By Rickie on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Randy , I had rerally hoped coles may come back , but now that won’t happen. I say trade up if necessary and grab Maclin at all costs – we need a playmaker. I was wondering , thinking back to the 90 plus yard int for a td , the strip sack of losman that set up ellis’ score , as well as several other plays and was curious if Coach Ryan might bring Abram Elam back – he certainly can make plays.

13. By ablity on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

well Keef, not only did Ratliff did good in preseason, which dont mean much i no, but that not what kellen think cause he didn’t do so well in preseason, matter fact he did bad, then in pratice, when there was a Quaterback comp between kellen and chad, the dude that was going better than both of them in pratice was BR. i just want it to be a fair comp between the two. no favorites coming in.

DECLINED: REPEAT OF EARLIER COMMENT TO DIFFT RADAR ENTRY

14. By DeezJetz on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Great moves but what has happened? I’m watching other teams pulling the trigger on deals right and left. We’ve made minimal moves so far. DO SOMETHING on offense beyond re-signing T-Rich and releasing/re-signing Moore. Come on Green give us something to get behind today. Get Bajema!

15. By Ira on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Heard Bajema is in contract talks. They will still need to get another TE at some point. McAlister or Ivy would be fine but i would be carefull with McAlister because of his injury problems the past 2 seasons. I really want to see Drew Coleman get a shot with Rex. He is perfect for this system and i think he will play well if given the chance.

16. By Carey on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Great story, Rex’s defense will lead us to fame! Hey Randy, Any word on Jay Feely….reports are saying he has been resigned over Matt Stover, the 2nd option. This would fill one more hole as I think Feely can kick solid for us.

17. By steve on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Not to quibble, randy but I’ve heard the same jive from this Buttle guy about every Jet coach since Walt Michaels….. followed by him throwing each of them under the bus when they left

18. By Kamani Lucas on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

i am support for NY Jets!!!.. Myself considering about Jets chance can during draft picks trade to Ariziona Cardinals QB Matt Leinert or Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler ? I believe this M.Leinert or J.Cutler try best improve new team Jets and they can learn new system from offensive Coodrinator Brain Schottenheim can help teach lot weapon direction for them can learn things new offense ?

19. By uncle joe on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Love Buttle,he might sometimes talk too good about the Jets,but that’s his heart,passion & love for this team talking.I do the same thing!

20. By uncle joe's WHY COME on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy,Why Come people commenting here about trading Ellis?He has been a soldier for this team,forever.It seems he signed a life contract,because you never hear anything from him about more money,he never complains about anything,never hurt,he just does whatever coaches ask him to do.A little weed and snowballs & people want him out.Are they nutz?He AIN’T GOING NOWHERE!

21. By uncle joe on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

3-4 DEs are suposed to do exactly what Ellis & Coleman do,take as many O-linemen as possible,and stop the run.It’s a job with no glory that only a selfless player can play.We have 2 good ones & people want to replace them.They don’t make tons of big plays but their tackle totals are up there with all those big names everyone wants.I think our DL is perfect!Atlanta can keep ABRAHAM!we got MANGOLD!

22. By uncle joe on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

#1 TE Branden Pettigrew ,#2 WR Brian Robiskie,#3 RB Rasad Jennings,#4 DT the french guy from LSU or any 280-300 lb DTs that can play backup DE. I Have Spoken!

23. By JET 4 LIFE on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

been a while since my last post Hello Randy and Jets Fans, i am liking what I’m reading. love the Rex Move and like the new additions. Mr.T is doing a great job and expect nothing less in the draft. would like to see a play for big time reciever,,but my question is with this core of players can our QB’S currently on roster get the job done? do we go after a FA and trade up for Sanchez.. oh the Q’S

24. By Randy Lange on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Carey, I’ve got nothing official yet on Jay Feely, but keep checking back.

25. By ablity on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

roy williams the safety can be a good fit for us, we can have him play around the LOS and hit runing back, randy can we afford him

26. By thebigfatguy on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Buttle said that about Mangine as well. He said the Jets would be in the Super Bowl within 5 years.

27. By uncle joe on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Hey Kamani Lucas,What did you just write? Everyone,stop the QB stuff!The 2 top QBs aren’t even that great,especially Sanchez,he might slip all the way to the Vikings!Alls we need is a QB that can manage a game with high percentage passes & RUN the BALL.Clemens can do that,& Ratliff might be something special.Just draft TE Petigrew as his safety valve & blocker and let him manage the game!

28. By Brandon L on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

I agree on what the front office has done this offseason so faar but wats the buzzz on what players the jets are interested in drafting?????

29. By Andre on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

We ARE NOT & SHOULD NOT draft a TE with the 17th pick! We already have Keller. We need a speedy WR! If you guys don’t know this, there is an AWESOME site that a lot of jet fans are one. It’s also FREE!!!

30. By OriginalJet Fan on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Randy, I cant see the harping on getting a wide receiver, losing Coles frees up a spot for Stuckey and/or Clowney. both FASTand young, look at Stuckeys limited stats last yr, 11+/catch , high 1st Down % , lot over 20yds. Clowney burned up preseason 2 ,70 yd TDs where he OUTRAN defenders. he could be Wes Walker all over again. give them a shot with Cotchery and keller we’ll be great

31. By Ray on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

ability, picking up Roy Williams would be like picking up half the Qb’s mentioned in here. He is going to want to start. That wouldn’t happen and he would be unhappy. We don’t need him. We need a TE.

32. By uncle joe on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy,you and your crew better not be involved in that two week ferlough whatever thing, If The Jets make us go two weeks without Radars there’s gonna be problems!

33. By Randy Lange on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Everyone on the business side will get a two-week furlough, uncle joe, but the Radar must and will go on.

34. By Ray on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Andre, have you watched any Jet football in the past year? Have you ever seen Keller? He is a TE in name only. The next block he lays may actually be his first! You can draft all the speedy wide receivers you want. When he’s forty yards downfield he can stop and look back at our qb lying flat on his back! We need a TE NOW!! If we don’t sign a FA TE, we will draft one maybe even at #17.

35. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Here’s my take on TO…I’m not totally against giving him a 1 year deal if we can get him cheap..The guy is a very productive player even with all his antics & will create mismatches on the field ..Teams would be hard pressed to stack the box against us & I believe he will keep himself under control for now with all the nectivity thrown his way it’s worth a shot our team will be better with him

36. By uncle joe on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Randy,you Are our Fearless Hero,you would listen and post our whining and complaining for two weeks without pay? Maybe Gholston can give some money back from last season to help out the business side!

37. By Anthony on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Need a DE…and I say now get a WR, Harvin if possible . What about SPencer from ALabma to back up Jenkins at DT both are monsters and that would tire out another teams O lines to no end. Two powerhouses ripping it up. ANd as for the QB Situation we have three who we need to test out we can’t keep saying we want a big name. i was happy with Favre but I think its time we build our own.

38. By Ira on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Uncle Joe,
    Come on now do you think Randy and his staff would not go on. Its another Radar FIRST DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

39. By sal on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

hey bigfatguy, i agree but mangini seem to staop caring, coaching or thinking, I bet my house his heart was in Cleveland and wanted the job, when it was apparent Romeo was a sitting duck. if the guy can stab his mentor and the guy that gave him his break, anybodys open game, to bad i didnt realize it until it was too late, just like Woody and mr. T. I hope his gets waht he deserves in Cleveland

40. By sal on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Randy one more thing about Owens, This guy would wake up what has been a boring dismal offence since the Keyshawn days,, with the D they look like they will put on the feild, the jets would have the headlines for a change, plus this guy can get You to the dance, a game breaker even at 35, and probably cheap for the talent

41. By Viveca on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

I agree with Uncle Joe. Pettigrew would be an awesome pickup in the first round, great hands, and an excellent blocker. Robinskie is maybe the best route runner of the whole WR group. Great hands, mature, hard worker and faster than expected. Jennings would be a good addition in the third round. Dt, Ol in the fourth, sixth and seventh round, and we’re set!

42. By uncle joe on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Thankyou Ray!And enough with TO,& all these WRs in the draft,Stucky has been nothing short of clutch,never saw him drop a pass.Clowney has brought nothing but fire everytime he is in there and don’t forget M.Henry is like 6’4″ and I don’t remember him dropping anything either.Pettigrew takes blocking seriously & plays angry.If B.Franks or NE’s Ben Watson were rookies in this draft would you takem?

43. By Row on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

I’m already sick of this Percy Harvin trash, the guy in 10 games could barely muster 600 yards. Get us a winner. Everyone knows who I want, now someone else besides me and Drew ask for Devery Henderson!!!

44. By Drew on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Love Buttle…he is our modern day Joe Wille Namath. Hearing him talk about the Jets is hilarious. He is about as objective as some fans…lol…Guys we are not drafting a TE in round 1. The top 2 TE’s are pretty close to what Keller is…. a blown up WR that “will” block. We will pick up a kid late or another vet. Cmon Ray?? WR, DE at 17 but I pray some teams loves Sanchez and comes to get him.

45. By Lwood on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

I can’t beleive that the Jets Front office is not even thinking about signing Terell Owens. I’ll bet where ever T.O winds up that team will improve and make the playoffs. Sure the guy is a handful but he makes the plays, he tall fast and has great stats. I say sign him to a 1 year deal if he becomes a problem they can always cut him. We get T.O we have a shot at the ring that’s my 2 cents.

46. By carl on Mar 6, 2009 | Reply

Just get Leon resigned!!!!!

47. By Ray on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

Row, I got some bad news for you. The Saints resigned Henderson about 4 days ago.

48. By briguyintampa on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

I am excited about the new staff except for Cavanaugh…..The ravens did not have any sort of offense and if you look closely at Pitt, thier offense was their weak point, a really weak point. Nothing to say that if you have a strong defense, your offense has to be gimped. I do like callahan and I hope he has the authority to keep improving on our offense.

49. By Ira on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

Henderson resigned with the Saints. Like i have said if they want a veteran to come in then sign DJ Hackett. He can hold the WR spot until they draft somebody and would give them a little veteran experience. Stuckey is the slot and Clowney the #4. B. Smith will have to ste it up this camp as a WR to earn a spot on this team.

50. By Ray on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

Sorry Drew, but if we don’t take care of the TE position through FA, then drafting a WR is just a waste of a pick. And though I wouldn’t normally say use that high of a pick on a TE, that will be our most glaring need and Pettigrew fills that void perfectly. He actually LIKES blocking! That being said, I would be ok with them trading down and still taking him. And Bajema is worst case scenario

51. By Ray on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

I have seen quite a few people imply, I know it is jokingly, that Namath signed a deal with the devil to win that SB. And now a whole boatload of you want to sign a similar deal again, with T. O. Many of the same people spouting about dumping this guy or that guy last year because of character or because he was a cancer, now want to bring in the most lethal of all cancers. Who cares if he ….

52. By Ray on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

…tears this team apart in two years right? Next year he will be a good boy, so bring him in and hope he leads us to the promised land!!!! A rookie HC and a young QB have enough issues to deal with, especially in NY, without adding the biggest headache in the NFL to their plate. Let’s build a TEAM and win this thing with a team we can be proud of!!!! NO T. O.!!!! NO Mike Vick!!!!

53. By Drew on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

I am glad Lwood is not our GM. Not only is TO a disaster in the locker room and for a young QB…..He is not nearly as good as he used to be. He drops ALOT passes!! There is a reason why nobody wants to sign him. The Cowboys cut him with 9 mil of dead money against the cap…… J Jerry and the Cowboys did that. If thats not a red flag I dont know what is!! Let him go destroy somebody elses team!

54. By Drew on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

T Owens just signed in Buffalo…..Nice!!! Let him go drop balls and destroy another team!!!! Thank God we got Lito!!!!

55. By Frank on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

We better not even think about drafting Sanchez or Stafford not that he will fall to them at 17 anyway. I like the QB’s we have on the roster now let them compete. Forget A TE or WR in the first round we need a Tackle and that is the deepest position and best value for first round talent. Robiskie in round 2.

56. By tom on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

the bills just got TO but we dont have to worry cause he is a headcase and he will destroy the bills and the jets got revis and shepard to shut him down so we should be fine and TO said he wants to win a superbowl how is he goin to do that with the bills

57. By Christopher on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

If it was me, I would trade down with the first pick, try and get an late first/early second and draft Rashad Jennings. We need a big back, plus this guy has speed. He has the character to fit right in with Jets football. Then draft either a TE or WR. Then focus on the O and D lines with the lat round picks.

58. By Alan on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

who cares about T.O. the dude is a bigger “circus” then Brittany Spears new song, besides he got signed to buffalo, what a disaster thats going to be honestly after Marshawn Lynch got caught with illegal guns they signed T.O. something tells me they want some attention this off season, anyways Go Jets!!!!

59. By sal on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

this team better have a reciver up their sleeve, or insted of looking @ second or third in the confrence, they will finih third or fourth, If Ralph Wilson seen something in Owens so should have Woody. Big mistake as always

60. By sal on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

Lwood your right, theyll finish behind NE Miami, and now Buffalo

61. By Ray on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

Ok its all a moot point now, so we can stop the T.O. insanity. Like it or not, he’s not coming here. So lets move on.

62. By Lwood on Mar 7, 2009 | Reply

Just read T.O signed with the Bills, Great move for them. I’m glad we strengthened our Defense. I hate to say it but it looks like they will be in the playoffs next year.

63. By Alan on Mar 8, 2009 | Reply

Your kidding me right? The Bills will be in the playoffs next year all because they signed T.O. Lwood, maybe if you actually payed attention you would know the Bills lost theyre Best TE and theyre best Offensive Lineman, Theyre defense hasnt improved, But now were going to finish fourth? Miami hasnt changed and they have a “HARD” schedule this season instead of the easiest, and NE Lost

64. By Alan on Mar 8, 2009 | Reply

NE traded away Vrabel, Bruschi is just getting older, what did they gain an aging Fred Jackson? whats Fred Jackson going to against our Defense, and its obvious you have never seen Stuckey or Clowney play in your life not to mention the WR core is 3 rounds deep this season, but to say well finish fourth is insane, and shows your Opinion has no facts to back it except that your love for T.O

65. By Ray on Mar 8, 2009 | Reply

You guys are hilarious. We have literally no TE to block for the run or the pass and you guys want to draft another WR or Tackle. Yeah we are so stacked we can afford some luxury picks like that. Go ahead and draft some late round rookie or pick up Billy Bajema and see how far this team goes. This D better be lights out cause that’s what are O will be, lights out, as in nobody’s home.

66. By MIKE on Mar 8, 2009 | Reply

Screw drafting a WR or TE,even though the Jets D will be much better, we need to upgrade our D line, other 3-4 teams have 4-3 DT playing DT and DE in a 3-4. we need size at all 3 D-line positions and let the LB get the sacks. Pats have 3 huge lineman all probowlers lets get more size depth at the heart of the defense. The WR pos is deep wait till round 2 for WR. PS I hope that Gholston wakes up.

67. By Row on Mar 8, 2009 | Reply

Mr. T, take a look at Reggie Williams, he is PERFECT for the Jets. 6’4, never really injured, an amazing play maker. Take a look at his 07 stats, 2 catches of 80 yards, and 10 TD’s! We have to make offense a priority, we just couldn’t get it done last year, even with Brett Favre!

68. By MIKE on Mar 8, 2009 | Reply

Everybody is talking competition between Clemens and Ratliff. What about Eric Ainge. He played in a bigger school than either QB`s and started with Tennessee for 3 years. He is very accurate and has won bowl games. All we need is a QB that can manage the game and not throw picks. I just hope that they keep Ainge in the equation and toss KC out.

69. By uncle joe on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

People,we also have Marcus Henry,he didn’t look bad when I saw him!I know Clowney,Stucky and Henry are unproven,but so are these draftable rookies.Lets go with what we have.They all know the system and have been practicing with Clemens & Ratliff Just like Chad and Coles did!I also liked WR Patrick Turner,saw him in the combine,6’5″,projected 6th round.

70. By Ira on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Row, Reggie Williams was just busted for a DWI and marijuana possesion.. Forget him.

71. By jayjets on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Buttle was an OLB. Did not play the middle

72. By Drew on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Ray??Why would you be pushing for a TE in round 1? It is insane. We sign a big blocking TE in Bajema and we line Keller up to dismantle defenses down the middle of the field. How does this not work? Youre loving Pettigrew for what reason? He is a “good” blocker and has no speed to seperate. We have more holes to fill than worry about a “blocking” TE early in the draft. WR. DL, OL, RB, ILB.

73. By Lwood on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Alan, I never said the Jets would finish fouth, I just think signing T.O will help the Bills get to the playoffs. Maybe they make it maybe they don’t, I’m happy that we have Revis to shut him down. Our defense is going to be great, I was just hoping to boost the offense.

74. By Randy Lange on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

You are of course correct, jayjets. From 1976-84 Buttle played the left side next to MLBs John Ebersole, Stan Blinka, Bob Crable and Kyle Cliton

75. By Hogan on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

I did not want T.O. but thought if he was 5 yrs younger..? But now we play him twice a year. I dont know if I should be nervous or happy. SOMEONE PUT MY FEARS TO REST PLEASE!!!!

76. By uncle joe on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Drew,Keller is not a real tight end & he doesn’t have the greatest hands.Ryan wants to run a possesion,run oriented high percentage offense.To do that you need a 6’6″ 265 lb blocking tight end with great hands. There’s nothing else at 17 worthy of 17 that fills a need for us,so unless we trade out,Petigrew helps us the most.WRs are slipping like last year,& a RB would take more plays from Leon!

77. By Tom Spicer "I Bleed Green" on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

We have zero chance of taking a TE in the 1st round I agree with Drew we need WR, QB, RB & DL all before we get a TE & 2 years in a row we are not taking a TE in the 1st round. They will get a all block no catch guy just in case Keller does not become a good blocker.

78. By Tom Spicer "I Bleed Green" on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

The Jets fixed the D in free agency we need to go O in the draft 1st round get 1 of these guys Sanchez, Maclin, Nicks, Wells or Moreno is the way to go (Crabtree & Stafford will be gone) in the 2nd round go Brown or Britt (depending on who we get in the 1st)

79. By Ray on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Drew, insane?? What is our most glaring need? TE, period. And insane is thinking Billy Bajema, career 7 catches to start for us is an answer?? Billy Bajema????? You obviously have done no research on Pettigrew. He is an excellent blocker and has very good hands. He was in a system that called on him to block almost exclusively his first two years so you can’t look at numbers on this guy.

80. By Ray on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Now, if the Jets sign someone who actually can contribute, like Putzier, I am all for them drafting anybody they want. With the exception of Sanchez, Spicer your another fantasy drafter. We’ll draft an inexperienced qb with #17 before a need pick? I’ll mark you down for the Billy Bajema sweepstakes. When our O stinks we’ll see how you like that big speedy WR or Sanchez holding a clipboard.

81. By Drew on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

I would love to trade out of 17 and get more picks…..especially if the QB is there. There are a ton of WR’s in the draft and we need one. I just dont understand the “love affair” you guys have with the TE Pettigrew? He is a big kid who has “good” hands and is a “good” blocker with no speed to seperate. Why do I want this kid at 17? Sign Bajema and draft a kid in rounds 4 or 5. TE is not a need!

82. By Drew on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Uncle Joe? Please tell me the teams that have a great running game that have the 6’6 265 TE that is a great blocker and has great hands? Do these players exist? Teams like the Giants (Boss), Steelers (Miller), Ravens (Heap) have good TE’s that can block. They are not great blockers. I am not saying Keller can block like they can but he dosent need to. We sign Bajema and let him get dirty!

83. By MikeMc on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

We have needs at WR, D-line, o-line, TE, CB& LB so how about picking the best athlete or trading out of 17 for a few late day one picks.Face it, we kinda are rebuilding a little with the hope of making the play-offs.

84. By Tom Spicer on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Ray we need a QB, WR & RB (Jones will be 31) all before we need a TE. We even need DL (Ellis, Coleman & Jenkins are all over 30) before we get a TE write this down WE WILL NOT TAKE A TE WITH 1 OF OUR 1ST 2 PICKS

85. By Tom Spicer on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

Ray we have no QB, we need a WR, we need a RB to replace Jones & we need DL depth. You want to take a TE that makes no sense at all.

86. By Jets Fan Tom Since '64 on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

I don’t get this post-season ingratitude for Keller, the guy had a great year with a number of very clutch catches. And did I miss something or is Franks still a Jet? We have a lot bigger needs than TE in this year’s draft, like RB, OL, DL, LB, and maybe CB. And once again, why keep drafting QBs if you never try them out? Plus Mike’s point about where Ainge played and the bowl games he won is key.

87. By Row on Mar 10, 2009 | Reply

If the NFL doesn’t make a move to bust Reggie Williams, I would still like to pursue him. He’s a burner, and a bargain with no previous criminal history. Everyone gets a DUI, it’s like a right of passage. If we give Owen Daniels a contract the Texans refuse, we can get him.. Offense needs to be a priority. Maclin has 2 blown knees, but he was a college stud. I haven’t found a draft WR fit. Go Jets

88. By Ray on Mar 10, 2009 | Reply

Spicer drafting a qb is no different that what we have now. You are just assuming that Sanchez is good enough to step right in and that is as much of a crap shoot as going with who we have now. TE makes no sense? Ok who is going to block in this smash mouth offense we are going to run? Oh yeah, Billy Bajema. Let me break it down. WR – we have Smith, Clowney, Stuckey, Cotchery, Wright..

89. By Ray on Mar 10, 2009 | Reply

…Clowney could be the #1 as easy as any of the ones available at 17. QB – we have three and like I said, Sanchez is as much of a crap shoot as any of them and they have been in our system. Tackle – our O line from last year is back so that would be a luxury pick. DE like Ellis or not, he is here and serviceable, another luxury pick. TE???? He’s in NE. Keller will never be a blocking TE…

90. By Ray on Mar 10, 2009 | Reply

…TE is our most glaring weakness. So what about that makes no sense? If the best player at that position is available when we are drafting why shouldn’t we take him? And I will say again, if the Jets sign someone, and I mean someone who can contribute, then I am all for them drafting whatever else they think they need. Needs first, luxury picks second.

91. By Ray on Mar 11, 2009 | Reply

Ok Spicer, it is clear now. You are wanting them to draft for two or three years from now. I want them to draft for this year. All those guys getting old need to be replaced before we need a TE?? WE DON’T HAVE A TE!! And while we’re taking notes, you can write this down. The STUPIDEST pick we could make would be Sanchez. Waste of a pick, money, roster spot, and time spent training that twit.

92. By Drew on Mar 11, 2009 | Reply

Ray….I couldnt respectfully disagree with you more on this TE issue. We have zero OL depth, we have a Cotchery and a bunch of #3 WR’s…Smith and Wright are #4 and #5 at best. We need a WR plain and simple. The whole NFL knows it I am not sure why you dont…..I dont even care if we take one in rd 1 or 2 but we will take one. I would be shocked if we drafted a TE before the 5th round

93. By Ray on Mar 11, 2009 | Reply

Drew, what we have in WR is just what we would be drafting. Unproven talent. Cotchery is a #2, Stuckey is a #3, but Clowney is a question mark. He has the speed to be a #1. And you said it yourself, we can take one in Rd. 2 just as easy as at 17. Every team also knows that we plan on running the ball next year. A one dimensional TE or a 5th round pick are a waste of time. We need a TE.

94. By Jose on Mar 12, 2009 | Reply

Was drafting a TE a joke?? We draft TE’s every year..It is like a Jet addiction to draft TE’s, ugh.. I like keller but we had some stinkers, Kyle brady, Johnnie Mitchell, anthony becht, etc. Maybe look the post draft free agent route. We need a WR or trade for JAY CUTLER!!!!!

95. By mizary77 on Mar 13, 2009 | Reply

i suggest we dont draft a TE,stick with keller and go for heyward for the WR
    position,i just think another TE is not the answer,a good WR is though

96. By Ray on Mar 14, 2009 | Reply

No Jose, the joke is on you and mizary, if you think that Keller is a TE. He is a TE in name only. He doesn’t block he just catches passes. If we go with Keller as our TE then we are going without a TE. Get with the program.