• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame

Get your most compreshensive Monday Night Preview as Jets Insiders are joined with Boomer Esiason & ESPN Chicago's Jeff Dickerson. JTL kicks off at 7:00 p.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife Stadium.

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Postgame Join Jets Insiders for LIVE player reactions following the Bears matchup at MetLife Stadium. Listen in on Rex Ryan's press conference with an analysis from Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad. Tweet your questions to @eallenjets and/or @nyjets.
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

Rex’s Training Camp May Be a Road Show

Posted by Randy Lange on March 26, 2009 – 6:37 pm

There are many approaches to NFL training camp. For 40 years the Jets held their camp at their trainining facility on the grounds of Hofstra University. Other teams also stay close to home.

But others still look further afield, to sites that subject a team and its players to a spartan environment, away from familiar surroundings, to produce a unit knit tightly by adversity that is ready out of the starting gate to take on the rigors of an NFL season.

Head coach Rex Ryan’s Jets may try this last approach to training camp this summer.

“Coach Ryan is looking to find a more isolated environment for training camp to promote team building and we are researching potential locations," said Bruce Speight, the Jets’ senior director of media relations. "However, any plans will also include community events at our Atlantic Health Jets Training Center and on Long Island prior to the start of the regular season.”

The team is seeking a balance, wanting to maintain ties to its longtime base and to the communities surrounding its new home in Florham Park, N.J., while also finding that right spot to conduct Ryan’s first camp as an NFL head coach.

The Ravens, whom Ryan coached with for the previous 10 seasons, have held their past 13 training camps at McDaniel College in Westminster, Md., which is located 30 minutes from the Ravens’ practice facility in Owings Mills, Md., and 50 minutes from downtown Baltimore.

At this point, nothing has been decided and, Speight said, "No options have been ruled out."

We’ll keep you posted on details of Jets training camp as we get them.

Tags: , , , ,

51 Responses to “Rex’s Training Camp May Be a Road Show”

1. By Ira on Mar 26, 2009 | Reply

Randy, I know that what Rex thinks is whats best for the team. But to leave Hofstra and now maybe not being close to the NYC will sure change things for myself and many fans. I only want the Jets to succeed but the summer just won’t be the same if the Jets are not around. But i do remember going to Peekskill with my dad to see them. So hope its not too far away. Always GO JETS!!!!!

2. By rich on Mar 26, 2009 | Reply

very disappointed with this Randy. I sent you an email earlier when I heard the news. What was the point of building this facility if you are not going to use it? Way to upset the fan base once again JETS. You still dont get it.

3. By Rick Roucoulet on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy, I hear the JETS picked up Donald Strickland. True? So I take it the whole Samari Rolle has been squashed. Like coach Ryan I too am a big D man & believe the D wins championships but maaan! When are we gonna work on this Offense? We need a vet @ QB or WR – Being a supporter of going w/1 of our 3 QBs, we NEED to get a vet WR NOW – I just dont see success in our QBs w/a rookie WR……

4. By Rick Roucoulet on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Although im sure theres a method to coaches madness & knows what he’s doing.

5. By Ira on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Rick, Don’t worry about the offense.Mr. T and his staff will address that during the draft and they will still add to the roster between now and camp and even before the season starts with veterans via FA, waivers or trades. They will be just fine and thats with whoever ends up at QB. Keep the Faith!

6. By Q on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

The team just built what they have termed as the “best facility in the NFL” and they are going to go to Podunk for training camp? In these times, and any time for that matter, what a colossal waste of money…..which I assume will be passed on to the fans. Perhaps, they should practice in their 6 MONTH OLD FACILITY and use the money saved to eliminate the Jets’ office workers’ 2 week furlough

7. By uncle joe on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

OK it was the Daily Nonsense,but Cimini wrote Leon Washington is believed to be seeking 4 Mil a year.To me that’s really cheap,I would sign him immediatly!This guy speaks nothing but positive,loves training year round at the Complex with his teamates,was voted MVP,won at least 10 games by himself since he’s here and loves playing for the New York Jets.SIGN THIS GUY TODAY,lose him,you lose ME!

8. By wayne on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

The way this team is constituted right now, they might not give up more than 13 points, but they’re not scoring more than 10.Jet have to get a vet WR.No rookie WR no matter how fast will walk in and tear up an NFL defense.Espceiallly not in the AFC east..Oh yeah, and Kerry Rhodes, can’t wait to see you put up Ed Reed numbers.This guy sure has fallen in love with the mic.Cherp, cherp, cherp.

9. By Vincent on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Hold training camps on Mars for all I care, just get the Jets a Superbowl win and any annoyed fan will soon come back into the fold…

10. By Ira on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

If the Jets do pick at #17 in the 1st rd it will be only the 2nd time in their history to have that spot in the draft. The 1st time was back in 1968 when they selected Lee White.

11. By Hogan on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

This is Rex’s first move that I question. Why did they leave us in LI and move to the dirty Jers if they arent going to use the new facillity?

12. By Alan on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Just heard that Leon and Mike T are in talks about a long term deal, hopefully something is done by the end of this season. Id say forget Jones and give Leon his spot he’s proven himself worthy, and he’s not a complainer. On the WR thing, David Clowney is an amazing talented WR, he ran a 3.5 in 2007 with a injured Hamstring. He’s going to earn the 2nd spot and be a household name for Jet Fans

13. By Tom from p,burg on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

WHO CARES!! JUST LET RATLIFF PLAY!!

14. By Rick Roucoulet on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

How is it even possible Woody Johnson would allow something like this? After all invested in the new training center? If that occurs, maybe he’ll also back out of the new stadium, let the GIANTS keep it & build a new one in Manhattan or Queens??? Pssss yeah right – But what gives?

15. By C on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Randy this is completely absurd. I understand the need to break the players down and build unity, team chemistry but traveling as far as lohud is reporting is not the way to do it. What a waste of a brand new $75 million facility! That $ could be put to saving employees’ furlough or building the new stadium!

16. By mark on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

maybe, the NYG will take the Floram park facility over, ..”Ratliff in 09″!!

17. By Row on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Is there a reason we are completely disregarding the offense? Releasing our best WR for no one, our TE? Remember guys, Leon is good through this year.. If you are going to invite Sanchez for a workout, work out Lance Moore if anyone… Also agree it’s kinda dumb to build a crazy practice facility to let a rookie coach lead the team elsewhere…

18. By oldtimegreen on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Randy,
    Is there ANY time allocated for fans to attend and experience the sylvan surrounds of Florham Park and watch our Jets this year?

19. By Randy Lange on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

oldtimegreen, training camp details are still being worked on.

20. By Russell on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Randy, have you heard anything about the Jets resigning RB Chatman or another RB? Also, have you heard about the Jets signing a free agent tight end who is more a blocker than a pass receiver? I like the idea of a remote location for training camp. Too close to NYC. Avoid all the temptations, work on football and build team chemistry. Just might translate into more wins this upcoming season.

21. By Randy Lange on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Russell, I’ve got nothing today on Jesse Chatman, RBs or TEs. But the off-season is still young.

22. By MikeMc on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Let Rex take them away , its only a couple of weeks anyway.

23. By george on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

Moving the camp out of New Jersey or away the Florhamham Park area
    is not the locals want to hear. The local businessmen and New Jersey residents deserve better considering the deals they have made with this
    organization

24. By Dave on Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

I read in the local newspaper that the Jets were considering SUNY Cortland. Since I live 4 hours from NYC, but only 20 minutes from SUNY Cortland, that would be cool!

25. By 35 year fan on Mar 28, 2009 | Reply

Randy the Jets could hold training camp on a deserted island in the bermuda triangle and only the half starved survivors get to come back. If you survive that you can be a New York Jet. Or camp out on 125th street overnight , same thing.

26. By Daniel on Mar 28, 2009 | Reply

That’s the most outrageous thing I’ve heard from this new coach. You mean to tell me after all the $$ and wait to move to Florham Park NJ to a new beautiful facility. All of us fans waiting to go see some open practices, he’s now thinking of going back to Long Island. This would definitely be a typical New York Jets kind of “Thing”. Come on Woody wake up and smell the coffe and stop this now…

27. By Matt on Mar 28, 2009 | Reply

The Jets should hold training camp on Long Island. I think they screwed their fan base by moving their operation. The least they could do is hold camp here. Frankly, if NY is not in their plans they should drop the NY from their name.

28. By charles d on Mar 28, 2009 | Reply

Ira,
    Do you think our QB is on the current roster?
    Thanks, Charles

29. By Cameron on Mar 28, 2009 | Reply

When I heard the news I couldn’t believe it!!!!!!!!!! Why would you move the team 4 hours away from new york; it is outrageous and all jets fans should be outraged. Why can’t you move the practices to Connecticut; it is a good distance from Florham park however it is not the outrageous 4 hours, it is about 1.5 hours away. A good possible location could be Sacred Heart University or Fairfield U.

30. By Chad NA on Mar 29, 2009 | Reply

Why, Why, Why? This makes no sense at all! Hold open camp practs in NJ., build seating, and then just before the season begins close out all media and fans to have your team building processes completed. This should happen way before preseason begins anyway. What happens? The JETS don’t practice on The Isle or go somewhere remote and nobody sees the new D and the O. This would be Bad all around!

31. By JETS 4 LIFE on Mar 29, 2009 | Reply

sounds like a page out of “Remember the Titans”, and i can hear Coach Ryan , WE WILL BE PERFECT IN EVERY IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME.YOU DROP A PASS YOU RUN A MILE,YOU MISS A BLOCKING ASSIGNMENT YOU RUN A MILE,YOU FUMBLE THE FOOTBALL, AND I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR JOHN BROWN HIND PARTS…AND THEN YOU WILL RUN A MILE, PERFECTION NOW LETS GO TO WORK. change is good .change of attitude better

32. By carl on Mar 29, 2009 | Reply

Rex please dont do it! My kid and I want to see the jets practice. It’s the training center right?Why did you bother building multi-million dollar place to practice???

33. By Big G. on Mar 29, 2009 | Reply

Can the Jet Fan Expect any different treatment from their team?? After being force out of their existing seats Financially, Now their taking away preseason from the fans & kids that enjoyed the jet camps in the passed. Fans have been waiting since 06 for the training facility in Florham Park to be built & so have the neighboring towns that were promised increased business!! This is shameful!!!

34. By redcaps on Mar 29, 2009 | Reply

this is such a wonderful idea and location. as they say, ‘ithaca is gorge-ous’. and the wineries up there are fantastic. great opportunity to take your family up there for a couple of days over the summer. i saw joe namath in peekskill when i was a kid and will never forget it. these remote summer camps are the best. way to go rex!

35. By Anonymous on Mar 29, 2009 | Reply

Jets will be lucky if his defense is half as tough
    as his talk has been since arriving in New Jersey.
    Sen. Cody was suprised the Jets have opted to
    train outside of New Jersey? I guess when they
    had the ribbon cutting ceremony he did not
    notice the lack of bleachers (although Woody could
    rent some) and the lack of a large parking area.

36. By David Hultman on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

Being a long time Jets fan, I again find myself shaking my head over this recent annoucement about Training camp.
    Many trips over the years to Hofstra U, and to finally have the Jets in our back yard….
    I support the coach and his decisions, and will go and see the Jets train where ever they land.
    Very disapointed, but I am a J-E-T-S fan

37. By Moe on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

I’m happy the Jets moved next to me in New Jersey and now all this talk about relocating after so much money was spent on the new facility. If Rex can control his team he can also control them wherever they practice. He should have known this before he came to Jets. Other than that, I’m happy with everything he has done so far.

38. By Fank Esposito on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

I think it is poor taste to not open the new jet Facility in new jersey to local fans
    as a long time jet fan i want to be able to see them practice locally. ther is plenty of land for parking and you can rent stands

39. By Tom on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

This has been bugging me since I heard the news last week. Why does the Jets organization think the people of this area were so excited about them coming to Florham Park? Everyone was anticipating the Jets would train at their new facility and there would be increased capacity over what they had at Hofstra. Very disappointing to the fans and businesses in the area. Once again the Jets let us down.

40. By Rande on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

The Fairleigh Dickinson-Madison campus is right across the street from the Florham Park facility. The Giants had training camp there for several years. The Jets can use their dormitories and parking facilities and rent bleachers for the Florham Park fields. That would be a win/win for everybody.

41. By Roger on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

It’s time for Mr. Johnson to speak up and let the coach know who is boss. He built a magnificent practice facility for the training camp in Florham Park and bleachers are not required for the fans who can stand on the sidelines. The money should be used to pay the sales staff who will be given 2 week furloughs this summer without pay. As is they are having a hard time selling the PSL club seats.

42. By Anonymous on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

This is crazy…The fans have to pay for the increased seat prices and PSL’s, when we have a 75million dollar state of the art training facility, and now we are going to spend more money somewhere else to train. Why charge so much PSL’s and increased pricing. Use the money that is going to be used to pay rent for another training facility. Same ole JETS, makes me SICK!

43. By CAMERON on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

I have been coming to camp from Connecticut for several years, at least three times a week. We drove the 1.5 hour drive before to Hempstead and would have still made the trip to Florham Park. Moving to a location in SUNY Cortland is outrageous. In such tough financial times the only people that support this change in venue are rich people and those who live in upstate new york.

44. By Jim on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

Who cares where they play or practice?……..Bottom line—-just win a Super Bowl already !!

I am tired.

45. By Frank Esposito on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

Ithink after such a large investment in the florham park facility it would be in bad taste to the local community to not have practice there for the fans,who been looking foward for the past few years

46. By bluuMagoo on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

I don’t understand how the coach is going to get the owner to go along with this as they have just moved into a brand new practice facility and I’m sure the organization managed to get concessions from the local town & possibly state governments. Now they are going to tell them they are going to hold training camp miles away & possibly in another state? Seems like a non-starter to me.

47. By frank on Apr 1, 2009 | Reply

JIM I AM WITH YOU!!! Just Win the Super Bowl!! Year in and Year out the same thing then I look forward to the Draft let’s make it happen this year. A die hard fan since 1980.. all my life..Dolphins, Steelers,Raiders and now Patriots have broken my heart let’s go out there and give the other teams PAIN and FEAR! Come on Rex the Jets Can DO IT!! Lets be the ones to ATTACK!

48. By Wayne's #1 Fan! on Apr 1, 2009 | Reply

Why must this team keep hurting me? After being a Jet fan for 20 yrs I finally made the 3 hr trip from Jersey to Hofstra in ’07 for training camp. I was very excited for this years training camp because I live 10 minutes from Florham Pk. I told my wife that if she couldn’t find me this summer, that’s where I would be. I really hope this does not happen. “You broke my heart Rex. You broke my heart”

49. By Anonymous on Apr 10, 2009 | Reply

SUNY Cortland is the perfect place to hold Jets training camp.

50. By David on Apr 13, 2009 | Reply

SUNY CORTLAND IS A FANTASIC SITE ,,IT WOULD BE GREAT FOR THE PLAYERS..AND UPSTATE FANS.

51. By Dave B. In Albany on Apr 15, 2009 | Reply

Hey, the Giants have been at UAlbany for several years, 3 hours away from NYC and it works for them. Cortland State’s football facilites are the best in D-III nationally and better then most D-I schools (have you seen the stadium?). Relax, it’s training camp and Cortland is cheaper to visit than LI or NJ. It’s a great part of NY to visit and vacation with the family. They are still he NY Jets!