• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 3:30 PM EST Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey, Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Defensive Coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 29, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Preseason MNF for Rex’s Jets … at Ravens

Posted by Randy Lange on March 30, 2009 – 12:56 pm

Rex Ryan’s Green & White will play in 2009 on Monday Night Football.

Preseason Edition, that is.

The Jets and the NFL have just released the team’s upcoming preseason schedule, and the highlight of the summer slate is Monday, Aug. 24: Jets at Baltimore, kickoff at 8 p.m. ET.

Thus ESPN will put the early spin on Ryan, in his second game as an NFL head coach, taking the Jets back to the city where he coached the previous 10 seasons, and the previous four as the Ravens’ defensive coordinator.

This is the first nationally televised Monday night preseason game in franchise history. The last times the Jets played a preseason game on Monday night were in 1976 and ’78, but neither was a national game. The last time the Jets played in a nationally televised summer game was against Minnesota on Friday, Aug.17, 2007, on Fox. And it will be the Jets’ first preseason game against the Ravens since 2002 at Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium.

Ryan and his Jets will get their preseason debut the week before at home, when they host the St. Louis Rams at the Meadowlands on Friday night, Aug. 14, with kickoff at 7 p.m.

It will be the teams’ first preseason meeting ever, but the second in the Meadowlands in less than 10 months, or since the Jets downed St. Louis last regular season, 47-3. And it will mark former Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo’s head-coaching debut as the new leader of the Rams.

The first two games were scheduled by the NFL. The final two are the Jets’ familiar summer-ending games against the Giants and Eagles.

The annual Jets-Giants game will be the 40th consecutive year the rivals and stadium mates have met in the preseason — and it will be the last time the two play in the current stadium before meeting again in the summer of 2010 at New Meadowlands Stadium. This year’s game will probably be played Saturday night, Aug. 29, although the date hasn’t been confirmed.

Finally, the Jets will play the Eagles in the preseason finale for the ninth consecutive year. This game is set for Thursday night, Sept. 3, with the opening kickoff set for 7 p.m.

Rex’s Jets could be in primetime in the regular season as well, but we don’t know that yet. The NFL’s full regular-season schedule will be announced in mid-April.

Here is the Jets’ preseason schedule, with some details still to be worked  out:

Date Opponent Place Kickoff TV
 Aug. 14 vs. St. Louis Rams Meadowlands 7 p.m.  WCBS (NY)
 Aug. 24 at Baltimore Ravens M&T Bank Stadium 8 p.m. ESPN
 Aug. 29-30 at New York Giants Meadowlands   WNBC (NY)
 Sept. 3 vs. Philadelphia Eagles Meadowlands 7 p.m. WCBS (NY)

View the New York Jets 2009 Schedule.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Preseason MNF for Rex’s Jets … at Ravens”

1. By Ray on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

Ok Spicer, I’ll reply you here. YES I understand we have many needs on this team. And I don’t deny that all those positions can use someone if not as a starter then for depth. My point is simply this, forget ifs and maybe’s. Right now at this moment, the only position on this team that is not addressed is TE. I thought they would have addressed it already but they haven’t.

2. By Tom Spicer on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

Ray Pettigrew never scored more than 4 touchdowns in a college season & was shut out of the end zone as a senior. Linemen with significantly more weight ran comparable forty times at the Combine. Pettigrew will not be a consistent seam stretcher or downfield threat and must improve his redzone efficiency. He was booked for felony assault & battery of a police officer in winter 2008 SMACK DOWN NEXT

3. By Barry on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

Hi Randy, I think the cowboys have the best looking cheerleaders in the NFL. I think the Jets need to do more at auditions. We Want to have the best too. Come on Guys.

4. By jaygreenie on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

WE better not take a tightend with our first pick!!!!!! WE can get a decent one in the 2nd or 3rd round. I say take the best available player. I know most spots are filled but if we can get a better player at that position why not?!!!!!

5. By Jason on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

4-0 In the preseason, lets go!

6. By jet80 on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

Whats goin on with Torry Holt?does anyone know if his even visited the team yet?still beleive he has alot left and surprised he hasnt been picked up yet.think Ryans gonna go DE or RB with the first pick,and use what we have at QB and hell have to get a WR somewhere in the draft

7. By Row on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

I want everyone who wants Cutler to read the nfl.com article written today.. Please guys, the vets like Jones and Rhodes play the games, start for the Jets. They are not C. Johnson wanna be’s or TO’s. The vets watched Favre ruin the season last year. Why not give them a chance for feedback? I’m listening vets, keep talking. At least Ellis, Jenkins, TJ and Rhodes show some character, heart…

8. By carl on Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

Cushing 1st pick. 2nd pick White!Get the deal done with Leon, Please!!!All these guys are playmakers!!!

9. By Ray on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

No Spicer he’s not a speedster. But we don’t need a speedster at TE, that is what Keller is for. And no his numbers aren’t great. As for his incident with the police I could care less. You can’t pass up every player who has something in his background. If you do then forget, Maclin, major knee injury so he’s damaged goods. Forget Harvin, he apparently has an attitude problem. Forget Sanchez

10. By Ray on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

why would we draft a guy who played on a loaded team and only started a total of 16 games in his entire college career. Forget Smith from Ala. he left the combine early, forget Oher, there are questions about his desire to play. Name someone else that may drop to us I’ll find something you could question about them. As for Pettigrew’s stats, if you read about him he was only used as a blocker..

11. By Ray on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

…his first years. So that is why he is an excellent blocker. And the book on him is soft hands will get a ball in traffic. Tons of upside on the receiving end. Keep going Spicer, at least you made a couple points, feeble as they were, worth arguing about!!

12. By Dave S on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

Jeezzz barry !cheerleaders, for god sake we need to address this team,,where is your mind at,,,We spend money for a good product on the field ,,,Not to say that a cheerleader or two is bad but come on!!!!! I don’t think Maxin can throw a spiral 50 feet Barry where’s your head at?

13. By Justin on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

Hey Row
    Brett didn’t ruin last season- get over it. There is no ‘I’ in TEAM….. Anyhow, the other Brett, Brett Ratliff will start, and go good for the Jets. He has had a couple of years under Brian, and, has an incredible arm. Couple that with the fact that he spent the last year under the best QB the NFL has ever known, Ratliff is ready to take you to a superbowl.
    Cheers from Sydney, Aus.:-)

14. By uncle joe on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

Spicer,Petigrew isn’t the guy that streches the field,Keller is.Petigrew is the big 6’5″ sure handed guy that QBs throw to all the time.When evevrything is covered you lob it up to this monster for an easy 6,7 yards a pop,move the chains and keep the other teams O off the field.By drafting him you get the BEST player at that position & fill a need,that is how you get value for your pick!

15. By uncle joe on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

And the assault and battery of a police officer was his elbow hit an officer in the chest,who knows if it was on purpose or not,but if it was anything bad,he would not have just gotten probation!He plays with a mean streak & is a possesion pass run blocking TE.I’m not saying he’s the best player in the draft but he fits everything we need!

16. By Corkman on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

Dublin Niall are you living in Ireland presently?? I am also a Jet fan living in Ireland where do you watch the games??

17. By philipp on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

jets need to do what ever it takes to go get brian orakpo defensive end from texas a top ten pick likely to go to the raiders I feel.. the jets need to make a block buster trade move yes we need a qb some say but clemens should fare well and taking orakpo well our defense needs that rusher.. with the second round take psu’s wr derrick williams. cant expect a rookie qb to take a team to a superbowl

18. By Anonymous on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

well…… here we go again! WE DONT NEED ANOTHER TIGHT END!!!!! ITS RIDICULOUS!!!!! WE NEED A RUNNING BACK. I DONT KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE SAID THIS BUT IT IS TRUE!!!! THOMAS JONES IS TOO OLD, AND LEON WASHINGTON ISNT AN EVERY DOWN BACK!!!!!!! HHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOOOO!

19. By Vincent on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

This may sound strange, but I’m not pleased with us playing the Ravens pre-season, especially on the MNF stage. Some upset egos on the field may want to show-up their old coach, some new egos will want to show the changing-of-the-guard, and RR may want to hammer his old team to prove a point… either way, if it gets too physical, we all stand to lose from an insignificant game. Just a thought…

20. By Tom Spicer "I Bleed Green" on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

Ray & Uncle Joe I pray you are right.

21. By Ray on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

Anonymous you should stay that way so no one knows who made the dumbest post on the site.

22. By MikeMc on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

I hate MNF always have. The games start way too late, a MNF home game means I get home by 2:30 in the A.M. I would watch the Jets but only the first half of any other contest. I’m sure I’m alone in my thinking, but when I look at the schedule I’m looking for Sunday at 1 p.m.

23. By uncle joe on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

Hey Vincent,I’m with you on that,playing the Ravens in Pre Season is not a very good idea at all.Jets luck,Bart Scott has a season ending injury,or Ratliff gets a torn rotator,you know Ray Lewis is gonna do something stupid to try to show us that we should of chose him instead!

24. By sal on Mar 31, 2009 | Reply

well denver announced. they are taking offers, now i’m intrigued about getting cutler, would of drafted him over ferguson in the first place, hey that sounds like a deal

25. By 35 year fan on Apr 1, 2009 | Reply

Monday night footballs greatest moment ever was Vinny and the Jets winning over Miami in THE MONDAY NIGHT MIRACLE. Unforgettable. But what a great way to introduce our new QB Jay Cutler, and beefed up defense, and new coach Rex. The only thing that would be more exciting would be watching his dad punch someone out on the sideline !!!

26. By Anthony on Apr 1, 2009 | Reply

I think MNF is great….It gives me something to look forward to on Mondays and if the Jets are playing that is always a treat.

27. By russ on Apr 1, 2009 | Reply

TEAMS THAT RUN AROUND LIKE ‘CHICKEN LITTLE’ SCREAMING GET THIS PLAYER, GET THIS PLAYER END UP LOSING E.G. RANGERS METS KNICKS ET AL…HAVE FAITH IN YOUR DRAFT PICKS LET THEM SUCCEED AND EVERYBODY IS A WINNER

28. By Vincent on Apr 1, 2009 | Reply

Uncle Joe – that’s exactly what I mean. I see everybody getting overly heated & wanting to prove a point based old or new relationships. I see busted up bodies & maybe a cheap shot or two…& for what, a MNF pre-season game!? I hope RR has the sense to use back-ups to give them real game experience, instead of ramming heads with his old team to prove that he should have been HC for the Ravens…

29. By Ray on Apr 1, 2009 | Reply

Spicer, like I said earlier I am not saying the Jets WILL draft Pettigrew. In fact, if I were in Vegas I would be laying money on a WR or, god forbid, a qb. But in the end, barring a trade for Cutler, I pray that whoever the Jets draft is the right pick. And even as I rail against certain players for weeks, once drafted, they are a Jet and I root for them 100%.

30. By Dublin Jet Niall on Apr 2, 2009 | Reply

Corkman, yes, I live in Ireland,Glenealy Co.Wicklow to be exact. My mail is niall.maclochlainn@dpd.ie if you want to drop me a line re catching games.(best not to tie up the radar)

31. By Randy Lange on Apr 2, 2009 | Reply

No problem, Niall and Corkman. Happy to bring folks together.