Sanchez: ‘I’m Ready to Play My Butt Off’

Posted by Eric Allen on April 25, 2009 – 10:10 pm

The Radio City roar reached all the way to Southern California this afternoon. When Jets fans found out the Green & White had obtained the No. 5 overall selection from the Cleveland Browns, they knew that Commissioner Roger Goodell would deliver the quarterback they desired.

And when the Commish announced Mark Sanchez’s name, their celebration was noted by the new Jets rookie.

“I saw it on the TV and they looked very excited and that’s important. I feel like I’ll be excited for a warm welcome there in New York and I feel like I’ll fit right in with all the fans there and it’s going to be an exciting time,” Sanchez told Randy Lange and me during a Jets Radio segment today.

“I feed off that energy and I’m just ready to play my butt of and practice like crazy to be the starter and play very soon and make things happen. It’s going to be a special opportunity and that was an incredible moment when I heard Mr. Tannenbaum on the phone. It meant a lot.”

With the selection of Sanchez, the Jets now have taken six quarterbacks in the first round in their 50-year history. Alabama product Joe Namath was taken higher than anyone, drafted No. 1 overall back in 1965 and delivering the Jets their only championship four seasons later.

“Joe Namath handled the pressure well and the people really loved him. I think when you win like that, that’s the great equalizer and everybody loves a winner,” Sanchez told Lange about this historic occasion. “That’s what I’m used to at USC and that’s what hopefully we can get accomplished here in New York.”

Sanchez, who was born in Long Beach, Calif., is not a laid-back surfer dude (not that anything’s wrong with that). His father, Nick, is a fire captain in Orange County and he raised his son to be a leader. And you can’t be a great quarterback in this league unless you’re a tremendous leader.

When I asked Sanchez for a self-scout, he gave an interesting answer. He talked briefly about some physical tools, but he took more time to expound on his personality.

“The things you want to see on the field are accuracy and great footwork, just good arm strength and being able to get the ball down the field and understand the situations," he said. "But the things the Jets really liked about me were the intangibles — my leadership, the excitement and the passion I show for this game — and I think that’s what really put them over the top on me. I think they felt I was excited to play and ready to get out there.

“They asked what I was going to do in the off-season and I was like ‘What do you mean, off-season?’ I’m going to be at the facility. I’ll go home for a week or so but that’s my new home. This is my new hometown and my new favorite team. They really liked my personality also and I feel like it’s going to be a great fit in New York.”

Mark Sanchez is a Jet and he’s coming to New York. That definitely deserves another roar.

Sanchez Articles
Sanchez: ‘I’m Ready to Play My Butt Off’
Mike T Again Demonstrates His Trade Craft

Jets Radio: SI’s Don Banks on 09 Schedule, Draft, Sanchez

Sanchez Photos/Wallpapers
First Round Pick – USC QB Sanchez Photos
QB Mark Sanchez Wallpapers

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 30 Comments »

30 Responses to “Sanchez: ‘I’m Ready to Play My Butt Off’”

1. By Ira on Apr 25, 2009 | Reply

Please lets not compare Sanchez to Namath or anybody esle. He is Sanchez and will make a name for himself. Now lets fill some needs tomorrow. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trader Mike gets back a pick or two.

2. By Andrew on Apr 25, 2009 | Reply

Sanchez will be a good fit for the Jets. This guy is tough and wants to win. NY should not cut him any slack, but this guy will do anything for his team.
    By the way who should the Jets have taken in his place?

3. By blaze9169 on Apr 25, 2009 | Reply

Hey Jet fans let’s chalk up another year of doing what we do best: botching up the draft. Why do I torture myself with this team? Cuz it’s in my blood. I hope Sanchez works out but I doubt it.

4. By rusty sanchez on Apr 25, 2009 | Reply

who’s everybody want in the 3rd tomorrow??? im hoping iglesius from okla maybe even lois murphy from florida and maybe we can get a steal in evans de from penn st had good career there but lost his starting job to maybin after an off the field incident but could of been 1st or 2nd rounder if it never happened maybe if he straightened out he coud be a steal in the 6th????

5. By Drew on Apr 25, 2009 | Reply

Hated this when it went down…..then I saw the trade and just disliked it….then I though about it so more and thought….. we saved picks by trading 3 spare parts…. Not a bad deal. I trust this organization. If they think Sanchez can be a franchise guy then you give up 3 spare parts and #52 to get him….. We better hope we continue the 4th round finds because we will need them.

6. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 25, 2009 | Reply

I’m reading this hate mail about Sanchez and I’m thinking, are these the same Jet fans who begged the team to get Collins, Leftwich, Garcia, and other has-beens or never-was’s? They get without a doubt one of the top 3 and maybe THE #1 QB in the draft from the school that plays like the 33rd NFL team and it’s a disaster? You’d think Ratliff’s exhibition TDs were in, uh, the Rose Bowl or something.

7. By Brian on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

I loved the way Sanchez reacted after he got the call. It looks like he really wants to be here and is passionate about playing for NYJ. That is the type of guy I want running our football team. I have some high hopes for the Jets this season!

8. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

And hey, look on the bright side — at least we know FOR SURE that Favre’s not coming back!

9. By pierce on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

i swear the jets organization doesnt care about winning…they gave up so freaking much for sanchez and i promise you this wont work out and wen it does tannenbaum needs to be fired…even if it does work out i no that ratty will be the next tom brady and wen he leads the browns to the ship tannenbaum should be fired…the jets r killing me…this to me is almost as bad as the doug jolley trade…

10. By mizary on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

im very excited about this…we have a quaterback for the future
    a realy good qb to build a team around..i knew we would take a qb
    i thought it might haVe been a wr first..but i knew the jets staff was not that confident about the qb situation…i was supprised that we got sanchez..but very
    excited..J.E.T.S.!! JETS!! JETS!! JETS!! .GO JETS!!

11. By Ira on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Drew, Don’t worry. The 4th rd has been gold for the Jets. Available players Jennings, Turner, Murphy, A.Brown, Beatty, Brock, Pascoe, and M.Jones all offensive players they could draft. Today will be as productive as yesterday. And once again the Jets stole Sanchez. Great deal by Mr.T.

12. By Justin on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

I think the trade was definitely worth it. Mark will defenitely be able to play well because we actually have an o-line. Just either get the best available receiver in todays draft or sign Marvin Harrison to a two year deal and were set.

13. By gino on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

randy if you are speaking to any one in the front office tell them to take a look at frantz joseph a linebacker out of florida atlantic this guy is being overlooked by everyone i think he is going to be the next james harrison of the league . the jets should let him try out

14. By BriGuyinTampa on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

I just dont understand why management felt the need to swing for the fences with high profile QB pick. We could have done more for this years team by trading down. I mean we already have a QB in Clemmens. If anyone has a problem with him, well, he earned his chance to prove you wrong. I think/hope he will start the season and have the chance to shine behind an O-line and running game.

15. By Matt on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

sanchez has no vet to learn from on the jets. who is going to help him clemings he’s played like 10 games at most. i think we should have taking the WR Nicks he would have been a big target for clemens or rattie. Getting a unproving QB to replace another unproving QB doesn’t make sense.

16. By Walt on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Did you ever see the movie dumb and dumber. I only hope that after this years disastrous season the jets get rid of tenenbaum and woody and not Rex Ryan its not his fault.

17. By Alan on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Honestly, I was saying the same thing the haters were saying, Until i went to some sites and saw some tape, He has a bigger Arm then some people think, and his Accuracy is Out of this World, Besides the fact that he threw for 41 TD’s in one Season, that only has 12 Games? Your all talking that he comes from a good team? Look at ours, a Top 3 Defense, Great O-Line, , Great Run Game.

18. By MIKE on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Jets should move again and get Shonn Greene, TJ is goona hold out and has only one good year left anyway.

19. By Eric Allen on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

You are prescient, MIKE. Just after you sent your comment, we traded up with Detroit for the first pick of the second day and selected Shonn Greene.

20. By kixworld on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Green is the next jacobs big back but to give all but 1 of our 3 remaing pick left is foolish we need more players now i hear we havea lot of cap room left if true its not that bad but we need depth really bad

21. By jesse on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

now all we need is help at wr! maybe aquan boldin for 1st and 3rd in next years draft

22. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Ira & Drew about trader Mike doing better in the second day of the draft & getting more picks WRONG AGAIN!!!!! ..But I know what your next comments will be Waffleing comes to mind Great move love the pick trader Mike strikes again Make

23. By Vincent on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Well said Ira – Sanchez is not Namath. Let the kid develop his own style & winning ways. We did this rubbish with Favre & 12mths later we looked like idiots. Don’t do this labelling & put unnecessary pressure on OUR QB. Do it to the Pats or some other team’s QB. Well done JETS for not thinking just about tomorrow, but next year and more years after that with this draft.

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

WOW, Mike, you called it! The guy on the site yesterday who said if you don’t gamble you don’t win had it right. Plus they’re obviously looking to make a few more trades, thanks to that cap room, and several of you guys have been speculating on Jones-for-Boldin or Jones-for-another-WR for weeks. A blocking tight end is the easiest thing to get, and I like Clowney, Stuckey, and our other WRs, too.

25. By 36 year fan on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Boy Sanchez sure did look happy. Good for him. I’m getting behind him. I like the way he’s calling the Jets his favorite new team.Sometimes you do have to just roll the dice. My heart was pounding when they announced the Jets had traded up. Bold move, risky. Still need some tall recievers, and a big running back. Is Larry Johnson available ?

26. By 36 year fan on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Now we have to make a move for Boldin, Get it done whatever it takes. This is our future. He is unstoppable. He is young. That is a championship, finally.

27. By Eman on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

That is the talk of a confident young man – not arrogant, confident. If he has the physical skills to match his leadership ability, we have many years of Sunday afternoons to look forward to. Now, let’s make another bold move and get Boldin or Edwards. If that happens this team will be fun to watch and one we can all get behind and be proud of.

28. By Row on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

I think we should just trade all the veterans, because obviously stats are meaningless. We released a 1.6mil TE who is probably one of the best run blocking TE’s this team has ever had, for no one. Traded away a real safety, Leonhard is 5 foot nothing and hasn’t delivered a big hit since he’s been in the NFL. Game changers win games, Elam won 2 games for us last year.. What gives Mr. T? Woody?

29. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 26, 2009 | Reply

Row, I don’t say we don’t still need more guys. But that blocking TE didn’t help us score at the end of last season and can be replaced. And Elam changed games in both columns, unfortunately. I don’t think the Jets are quite done dealing for WRs, line, or secondary guys and while this might’ve been a weak draft, there’s a lot of guys people were high on who didn’t get picked. So keep the faith!

30. By Lightbringerrr on Jun 4, 2009 | Reply

You guys are SO lucky. #6.