• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Here’s ‘the List’: 33 Undrafted FAs, Tryouts

Posted by Randy Lange on May 1, 2009 – 9:33 am

At last, the list.

The list of the Jets’ 2009 undrafted free agents.

The team has released the names of the 17 players it added immediately following the conclusion of the draft Sunday evening, plus 16 more players who are here on a tryout basis. All arrived at the Atlantic Health Training Center during the day Thursday, the contracts have all been signed and approved by the league, and the Jets’ rookie minicamp, five practices to be held from today through Sunday, is under way.

Several characteristics on this list are worth noting. There are a couple of safeties in Emanuel Cook — considered by analysts to be one of the top undrafted players available — and Keith Fitzhugh.

The list also includes three tight end candidates: Rob Myers, Andrew Davie and J’Nathan Bullock of Cleveland State, who’s of note because he was a top power forward for the Vikings’ basketball team.

And there are four defensive linemen, although one of them, Jamaal Westerman of Rutgers, is expected to get a look at linebacker. Another, DT Matt Kroul was a teammate of third-round RB Shonn Greene at Iowa.

Lets also not overlook the large Cornhuskers contingent on the Jets’ roster now. Following the drafting of Nebraska guard Matt Slauson in the sixth round, two UN teammates, DEs Zach Potter and Ty Steinkuhler, were signed as free agents.

Perhaps you recognize Steinkuhler’s name? Yup, he’s related. (See my Defensive Signees Include Huskers, Cook, Conley
story.)

There are four offensive line candidates on the list in Kyle Link, Ryan McKee, Tavita Thompson and Michael Parenton.

And we have one QB (Chris Pizzotti), one FB (Brannan Southerland), one WR (Britt Davis) and one punter.

By the way, the punter, T.J. Conley of Idaho, is really good.

Eric Allen and I will get into more detail on these signees in stories a little later today. EA handled the offensive players, I’ve got the defense.

Here is the list of the 17 undrafted free agents whose signings were announced this morning:

Player

Stephen Valenta

OL

Cornell

6’6"

309

Tags: , ,

53 Responses to “Here’s ‘the List’: 33 Undrafted FAs, Tryouts”

1. By Anonymous on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Toal from Bergen Catholic HS.

2. By Alexander on May 1, 2009 | Reply

I really hope Bullock makes the team. I always like and respect the cross over sport athletes such as Antonio Gates.

3. By Ira on May 1, 2009 | Reply

randy, Nice to hear that the punter spot could be resolved. I think Conley is a keeper. Toal is a fine prospect but had injury problems throughout his college career. Cook i have read very good things on but i think he fell out of the draft because of character issues. randy, It seems a few of these players have had problems off the field. Are the Jets looking past those issues now?

4. By jake on May 1, 2009 | Reply

MANNY COLLINS IS BACK

5. By Rick Roucoulet on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Hey! Who knows? Maybe there’s a diamond in the rough in one of these young kids? I specifically remember this young small WR from Hofstra that had me saying (YEAH RIGHT!) by the name of Wayne Chrebet…

6. By Coops on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for the comprehensive list, Randy.

I think the Jets have done a good job with UDFAs this year – in particular Conley, Cook, Potter, Southerland, Davie, Myers, Parenton and McKee who all have a chance to fight for a spot in positions where the Jets need some help.

7. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Thanks, Randy, this clears up some things. The Jets were obviously very concerned about linemen and TEs, just not so much as to let it stop them from getting Sanchez and Greene. They’d like to try some other young WRs but as I read yesterday, they want to give Clowney and Smith a chance before maybe picking up a veteran. And as no one should ever have doubted, they had a plan when they cut Hodges!

8. By Bernard on May 1, 2009 | Reply

I hear this kid Kenny O’neal is lightning fast. I hope he can make the team.

9. By IAGEEK on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Yes! Matt Kroul was signed. Mitch King would have been good, too. But another Iowa boy for the Jets is a great thing! C’mon, Matt! Make the best of it.

10. By IAGEEK on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Yes! Another Iowa boy for the Jets. C’mon, Matt! Make the best of it.

11. By nat on May 1, 2009 | Reply

hope this takes them to the playoffs

12. By Joe on May 1, 2009 | Reply

I’m a Boston College student, and I saw Brian Toal play. He has it all as both a linebacker and a goal line fullback. He is definetely good enough to make the Jets, the kid can play.

13. By Sam on May 1, 2009 | Reply

They talk about Sanchez’s Accuracy. Wasn’t CHAD PENNINGTON also know for his ACCURACY??? Not a good sign for SANCHEZ and the JETS if Sanchez MO according to Brian Schottenheimer is Sanchez’s ACCURACY! Is SANCHEZ another CHAD PENNINGTON?? Typical JETS to trade away RATLIFF and pick up another CHAD with ACCURACY!

DECLINED: REPEAT

14. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Mike J V, I addressed Pizzotti and all things Italiano (like me!) in the uniforms story posts, check it out. This seems like a good place to start more trouble, so here goes: I’d like to see Sanchez with as many young guys as possible, so the offense grows up together like with Namath, Snell, Boozer, Sauer, Hill, Plunkett, De Luca, Herman, and Lammons — maybe with Boldin taking Maynard’s role.

15. By John Strong on May 1, 2009 | Reply

thanks for the update Randy! Always appreciated.
    Question for you: Just how good is the punter? I saw he was the top in the NCAA last year. Do you think he could stick?

16. By DarXide on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Well Randy I’m not familiar with Steinkuhler. Who the hell is he related to? It’s not like his name is Klecko, Gastineau, or Namath

17. By BobbyD on May 1, 2009 | Reply

The punter sounds like a great pickup if he can still do the same numbers with the nfl ball

18. By delano on May 1, 2009 | Reply

GO CORNELL U……SIGN HIM…PLAY HIM…CORNELL ATHLETES ARE THE HEAD OF THE CLASS!!

19. By mizary on May 1, 2009 | Reply

wow..i see some tall wr’s,,te’s,,ol,,de’s..hope to see some of those guys
    play this season..and we got mark sanchez and Shonn Greene..im a happy
    jets fan…GO JETS!!!

20. By Randy Lange on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Ira, VP of college scouting Joey Clinkscales said at the predraft news conference that the characteristics the Jets are looking for in each player since Rex Ryan came aboard are “his football character, was he productive, his passion for the game, how tough is he, is he physical, is he competitive and how good a system player is he.”

21. By Randy Lange on May 1, 2009 | Reply

DarXide, I was trying to set up my defensive free agent feature, where I talk about Ty Steinkuhler in the lead. Ty is the son of Dean Steinkuhler, Outland and Lombardi award winner from Nebraska and second pick of the 1984 draft by the Houston Oilers. Remember, you must read every story on newyorkjets.com every day.

22. By wayne on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Extremely impressed by the FA list. Will not be surprised if good number of these guys stick(hope so). I was concerned about the talent drain. That issue has obviously been addressed. About the QB spot: I wanted Ratliff to start, but that being said, I hope Clemens doesn’t lay down for Sanchez. Make him win the job.THERE’S NOTHING LIKE GOOD OLD FASHIONED COMPETITION. MAY THE BEST MAN START.

23. By Randy Lange on May 1, 2009 | Reply

John, I don’t know how good T.J. Conley is from watching him yet, but I know Mike Westhoff likes him and I know once Conley turned his attention full-time to punting last season, he had the best gross average in all of college football the last four seasons. So I’d say he’s got a chance.

24. By MortsClub on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Good luck to TJ Conley… Granted, Idaho hasn’t had much to cheer about over the last 10 years… but TJ has been a pleasure to watch. He has an incredible leg, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him make the team. On a side note, TJ may have been the best quarterback never to have received a snap at Idaho, a very good athlete with huge numbers coming out of a small school in Oregon.

25. By MortsClub on May 1, 2009 | Reply

TJ Conley played his preb ball at DeSales HS in WA. Still, his prep numbers were impressive. The Walla Walla, Wash., native was a four-year starter at DeSales Catholic High and finished with 10,139 career passing yards.

26. By jets fan on May 1, 2009 | Reply

let leon washington run the ball as many times or more as thomas jones did last year leon will be the afc leading rusher in 09! p.s go leon and jets!

27. By Bryan on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Randy. I have never known how these guys get paid during each camp and through out the season. Could you enlighten us? Thanks

28. By bradmag55 on May 1, 2009 | Reply

i think emanuel cook will definately make this team, he will be a big contributor to this team and could develop into a big playmaker like abram elam was becoming

29. By Randy Lange on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Bryan, Ari Nissim, the Jets’ director of football administration, explains that there is a negotiated amount that is paid each player for each day of minicamp and training camp. Then during the 17-week regular season, each player is paid 1/17th of his salary each week.

30. By Jetsman23101 on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Watch out for J’Nathan Bullock. This guy, who played hoops @ Cleveland State for former Rutgers coach Gary Waters, has alot of upside..Can anyone say-ANTONIO GATES?

31. By PKelz on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Look out for Sean Smalls he’s gonna be a sleeper

32. By Bob on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Surprised no one else signed Brian Toal and he’s here! I am happy about that. I am surprised it hasn’t been reported much in North Jersey. The man is a football player! Bigger name than Cushing, Teel, or Raji coming out of H.S. Good luck Brian. You can make this team! What does a “tryout basis” mean anyway? Good bet to be signed? Can he play somewhere else tomorrow?

33. By JudgeS on May 1, 2009 | Reply

Brannan Southerland was a huge signing, he was rated by many the best FB in the draft going as early as the 4th rd, perfect back-up and eventual replacement for Richardson.

34. By Randy Lange on May 2, 2009 | Reply

Bob, tryout means he’s not under contract and can leave immediately to sign with or try out for another NFL team. But of course the idea of being at the Jets minicamp is to convince them that they should sign him after the camp is over.

35. By Michael llovet on May 2, 2009 | Reply

I was really hoping the Jets would be able to bring in a TE by the name of Brian Mandeville very good blocking skills and has the size and determination the Jets would of loved one weck of a undrafted TE!!

36. By Dino Minolli on May 2, 2009 | Reply

Good to see Pizzotti up there. He is an ideal size for an NFL quarterback (as long as he puts on some weight) and rarely makes poor decisions on the field. I’m actually surprised he wasn’t drafted in the later rounds…

37. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 2, 2009 | Reply

JudgeS, Southerland’s one of the FAs I’d really like to see earn a spot on the team. Like you say, I saw some folks rating him above Fiametta and he seems like the ideal guy to succeed T-Rich. If we keep Jones, a backfield of Jones, Leon, Greene, T-Rich, and BS sounds like a great mix of size, speed, and skills. I’m optimistic about BS’s pass blocking, too, after all his blocking for Moreno.

38. By vandal1 on May 2, 2009 | Reply

You guys are getting one hell of a kid in Conley. An outstanding student (mechanical engineering) and football player. In addition he got PLENTY of practice punting in game situations (unfortunately). He does have an arm, I’ve seen a fake punt or two in person at Idaho… maybe he gives you a trick or two up your sleeve!

39. By Randy Lange on May 2, 2009 | Reply

vandal1, I talked with T.J. today and will have a feature story on him on Monday.

40. By Kevron81 on May 2, 2009 | Reply

Ottis Lewis 6’6″ 205 WR sounds like he can maybe help out in the red zone if he makes the team. I also think Bullock will probably make the team because we need a tight end.

41. By Kyle on May 2, 2009 | Reply

I watched Valenta play in college and he dominated teh Ivy league he needs to get a good look by the coaches

42. By JB on May 3, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy ,do you thank that if possible that we can bring Mike Vick in as a bag up just for more offense.

43. By Old Rogue on May 3, 2009 | Reply

I hate this time of year. I am always pulling for these undrafted FAs to come through and get signed, even when I know nothing about them. They get their tryout, someone is quoted as saying they look good, then they’re gone – down the rabbit-hole of dreams. But then I liked the movie, “Invincible,” (Vince Papale) also. I guess I am just a big softy.

44. By LarryS2087 on May 3, 2009 | Reply

Toal is an intriguing player, if he is healthy he could be a great run stuffer on first and second down. Westerman will be a Jet, he knows how to get after the quarterback.

45. By Mike V on May 3, 2009 | Reply

Allen Patrick is a stud. He could really help the ground game.

46. By Mike V on May 3, 2009 | Reply

Allen Patrick is a stud. He could really help the ground game. Jones, Washington, Greene, and Patrick in a 4 back rotation would destroy opponents.

47. By pdpullmn612 on May 3, 2009 | Reply

Brian Toal is from my town. My older brother is friends with him. He’s a good player he went to Don Bosco Prep which was one of the best high school football teams in the country. If it werent for injuries he may have been drafted. He’s played at the level of Mark Sanchez and all those guys so he knows. Hopefully he makes the team and deos well for them.

48. By Margaret Flanders on May 3, 2009 | Reply

I’ve watched Ryan McKee play college ball at So. Miss. He’s a great player! I know he has a lot of depth to his character. The Jets would be lucky to get him. He’s very consistent and a hard hitter!

49. By Anom. on May 3, 2009 | Reply

Manny Collins is a great person on and of the field. I am really pulling for him to make the team

50. By Bokchicken on May 3, 2009 | Reply

I live in Athens, GA and have followed Brannon Southerland for the past 4 years and the guy is a stud. Only because of his injuries to his foot this past preseason allowed him not to be drafted. Otherwise, he probably would have been the first FB off the board. Great blocker and can catch out of the backfield

51. By kevin goldstein on May 3, 2009 | Reply

My father and I followed Brian Toal from his sophmore year at Don Bosco high school up until he got hurt his 5th year at Boston. Pound for pound he’s the real deal. Bad luck with those injuries. If he did the juice he probably would have gotten drafted. If it were my team,nothing to think about. He’s a football player. I guy i wanton my team. Special teams,fullback,line backer. Good luck Brian.

52. By Joel Wilson on May 4, 2009 | Reply

The sleeper of the bunch, Jack Simmons. Jack was penalized by a poor coaching staff in Minnnesota. Stats suffered. He does not miss a blocking assignment and will catch all thrown to him.

53. By ANTHONY on May 4, 2009 | Reply

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING BRIAN TOAL SINCE HIS HIGH SCHOOL DAYS AT DON BOSCO .HE HAS THE HEART OF A LION,CAN BE A GREAT SPECIAL TEAM PLAYER.WISH HIS FATHER WAS STILL COACHING AT BERGEN CATHOLIC.