Some Cotchery Thoughts on Sanchez, Favre

Posted by Randy Lange on May 7, 2009 – 3:17 pm

One bit of wisdom I used to hear (and relied upon from time to time) back in my previous life as a beatwriter was: "When in doubt, write the quarterback."

The QB remains a hot story subject in the Jets locker room this week, now with the Green & White veterans having returned from a postdraft break to resume their strength and conditioning program and, next week, to begin a month of OTA sessions culminating in all the QBs and everyone else on the roster participating in the June 9-11 mandatory minicamp.

Jerricho Cotchery got questions from both directions today, on the new guy coming in (Mark Sanchez) and on the graybeard who’s not coming back to the Jets but may or may not be staging another career comeback (Brett Favre).

On Sanchez, J-Co said the thing that impressed him was No. 6′s accuracy.

"I watched the rookie minicamp, the practices, on film," he said. "I saw some of those same things when he was able to put the ball where he wants to put it. Philip Rivers was an accuracy guy. He was able to put the ball wherever he feels. I saw some of those same things on film when I was watching."

Cotchery referred to Rivers, the San Diego quarterback, because the two used to play pitch-and-catch at North Carolina State. And he said Sanchez’s accuracy isn’t the only thing that reminds him of Rivers.

"Rivers is a natural leader," he said, "and you can sense some of those things about Sanchez. Hopefully, those leadership qualities that he has can apply to helping us win some games."

Cotchery wasn’t asked about Kellen Clemens, but he’s stressed the faith he has in KC in earlier news conferences. In any event, Clemens spoke with reporters for the first time since the drafting of Sanchez. Eric Allen’s story on Clemens’ latest comments will be on the newyorkjets.com home page shortly, and the Clemens transcript will be available Friday morning.

As for Favre, several Jets were asked their impressions of the reports that No. 4 is meeting with Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress. Cotchery said he hadn’t heard from Favre personally that he wants to come back but has heard the same reports.

"I know he still has some good football left in him," the wideout said. "He’d be playing in a dome, with a team set up to make a good run. … We’re set up to make a good run also."

And that’s the important thing. Favre will do what Favre does, but the Jets, with the QBs and the rest of the players they’ve got now, in the Year 1 A.F. (after Favre), still believe they’re in that position as well. It’s encouraging to hear.

Boland: See Ya!

Here’s a difficult farewell and figurative man-hug to Erik Boland, who’s been reassigned by Newsday from the Jets beat to the Yankees beat. Erik is a smart, insightful, personable kind of fellow. And as Albert Brooks once said (but not about Boland), "He’s a witty guy."

Let’s see. Boland moved onto the Jets beat only last year and now, because the Yankees writer is leaving, Newsday is going to set back two beats in its sports section with new reporters. But at least Newsday knows talent when it has it, and Boland will get up to speed with the Pinstripes quickly. Hope you negotiated that combat pay, E-Bola.

Intruder Alert

Radar commenter Ross sent me an email with a fair observation earlier today:

Randy, Do we really need to post the #2dollfan’s posts on here? I realize the only thing offensive about them is the childish way they are written but it is kind of annoying to me as a Jets Fan.

My thoughts have always been to treat all comments the same. As long as they meet the Radar’s standards (no obscenities, vulgarities, profanities, no personal attacks, etc.), I’ll post them, and that includes the occasional trash-talking from Patriots partisans, Bills buffs and Dolfans. My impression is that it’s even a bit of fun for our regular Radar users to give these interlopers a little earful, and that if we’re going to post the positive comments from some other fan base, we should be able to handle the negative comments as well.

But maybe you all have different thoughts. This is, after all, newyorkjets.com. Were #1dolphinsfan’s recent barbs annoying or insulting or worse? Do you want to continue to see caustic comments from enemy territory? Send me your comments the usual way and I’ll post them here.

Tags: , , , ,

45 Responses to “Some Cotchery Thoughts on Sanchez, Favre”

1. By Tom Spicer "I Bleed Green" on May 7, 2009 | Reply

This kid Sanchez is a leader & he is going to be great the thing I love most about this kid is his will to win. Last year when they had there 1 lose I remember seeing him walk off the field & slam his helmet in the tunnel this kid wants to win & he cares.

2. By Anthony on May 7, 2009 | Reply

In regards to the Patriot fans….your coach is a cheater and the Jets have a thing called throw back Jersey’s I think the Patriots are just starting to obtain those…where were the Patriot fans when they were losers??? Band wagon? And Dolphin fans pffftt please you will be in last place once again this year…so it is what it is…Just say that for the intruder alert…

3. By Ira on May 7, 2009 | Reply

If J-Co’s is right about Sanchez’s being a lot like Rivers then the Jets have struck gold. EA’s story on Kellen hit home and the guy is all class just like Chad was. He will be putting up a good fight for sure. Randy, As for those comments from other teams fans i agree with your thinking. The Radar is so great why change it if its not broken. Bring on those Fins,Pats and Bills fans. GO JETS!!!!!

4. By JetStorm on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Randy, As for caustic comments from the far side…BRING EM ON……

5. By wayne on May 7, 2009 | Reply

I am officially on board the Kellen Clemens bandwagon.Turns my stomach hearing so many drool all over Sanchez before he’s thrown a pass. EARN THE JOB.We won’t know anything about this guy until Richard Seymour or Wilfork falls on him.I have nothing but respect for Clemens for how he’s handled this situation and I hope he keeps the anointed one on the bench indefinitely(by good play obviously).

6. By Alexander on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Let them fire at us! It ticks me off, sure, but even more so gets me pumped for the season. Cannot wait for the Fins to realize it was a one year wonder, Buffalo will be Buffalo and cannot wait for NE any longer!!! Lets Go Jets!

7. By Jeremy on May 7, 2009 | Reply

If Sanchez is going to perform like Rivers that would be great, but anything less is going to be considered a failure after what the JETS gave up to get him. As far as the Favre thing—I’m happy that “Manny is being Manny” b/c that means we don’t have to listen to the Favre saga all over again. That coupled with the flying elbows in LA should keep Favre off ESPN, atleast for now!

8. By Rob from New Jersey on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Kellen is a class act….and I hope that the brass realizes that having him play this year, and having Sanchez learn and mature is a no brainer. Clemens will lead the jets to many wins. If Sanchez is ‘all that’ …..he will only improve. If not…..we have a chance to see what our second round pick can do with a good O line.

9. By Frankie on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Who cares what Brett Favre does, we released him and we should care less what he does and what team he goes too. We have Mark Sanchez now who i think can be the next Joe Namath and lead us to the promise land. J-Co i think has the potential to be our # 1 receiver and we have a lot of great guys to step in for our # 2 and 3 receivers. We don’t want BALL DROPPING EDWARDS ON OUR TEAM.

10. By Stephen S.I. on May 7, 2009 | Reply

I hear ya wanye,im on the KC wagon too….he knows the playbook inside and out.. i also think he earned the chance to start ….As for the rest of the AFC east Bring it on …….

11. By BKNYDANNY on May 7, 2009 | Reply

we should get plax he’ll sign for cheap and if it doesnt work out release him!

12. By #1dolphinsfan on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Well Ross the only thing childish on this site is your spelling.I do this for laughs and so when im bored at work i can see who talked trash back.JetStorm got the right idea.GOFINS!!

13. By uncle joe on May 7, 2009 | Reply

#1dolphinsfan is a regular on this Radar,you gotta allow his comments!The whole point of being a sports fan is to boast about how your team is better than someone elses team,with out that there’s no point in being a fan.I’m a little tired of arguing mith my own Green Bleeding Brothers & Sisters,lets redirect it to The Others!

14. By Future Jet on May 7, 2009 | Reply

I think this might be KC’s year and depending on how he does we will see who comes in next year, maybe this could be like a Bledsoe vs Brady situation

15. By Johnny Cool on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Hey Frankie, we do need another WR such as Edwards, a tall/fast WR or even Harrison to take the #1 spot. J-Co is a solid #2. Stuckey has the opportunity to be a great slot. Edwards may have dropped the ball a bit but still has that big play potential that we need.

16. By Ira on May 7, 2009 | Reply

BKNYDANNY,
    Do you know that Plax was fined about 60 times while playing for the Giants for all types of things. I can just imagine how much they covered up that never hit the media. No Thanks. Eric is just waiting to trade Edwards. He is faster and about 6 -7 years younger also.

17. By Larry B. on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Randy, I agree withyou all the way. Bring on the enemy comments, we can take it. I just hope the other AFC east teams can handle second fiddle this year!!! As for the Doll Fans, well hanging your hat on the wildcat isn’t going to be any match for our defense. Go Jets!!

18. By Jetfire on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Other teams fans posting on this site tells me one thing, they know our team is gonna be beating up on them so they have to get their cheap shots in while they can, GO JETS!!!

19. By Nep Oznat on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Please allow people (even Stinkin’ Fish fans) to express themselves. Just because they are delusional ( we beat them, like 10 of the past 12 games until we gave them our discards) we should not silence them by force. They should be allowed to spout their nonsense now – halfway into the season it’ll sink in that last year was one of a kind, & they will become VERRY silent. 1-7 does that to you…

20. By Howard on May 7, 2009 | Reply

randy bring on the other teams fans i love reading ignorance at time,have to love the way KC handles this whole situation,and ross tucker has a nice piece on si.com about KC and Sanchez

21. By Vincent on May 8, 2009 | Reply

Seriously – If I was given the chance I would not vote for Favre as a Hall of Famer. His performance on the field speaks for itself, but his obsession to ‘get back’ at the Packers (if the rumors of him going to the Vikings are true) leave me wondering about his maturity. I mean, come one, let it go! If his love is football, then he should have come back to the Jets (cont’d)

22. By Vincent on May 8, 2009 | Reply

(cont’d) – not that I wanted him at the Jets to begin with. I just cannot get over his obsession to go back to Green Bay as the enemy. Why? Were his feelings hurt in being let go? Live with it Brett – you retired and they moved on, so what’s with the gripe??! Some of us would like to call our own shots, get paid millions and choice our retirement date, but I assume that’s not enough for you…

23. By GangGreenGIANT on May 8, 2009 | Reply

lol #1dolphinsfan has a lot to say but forgets his team, sorry to say, has our left overs….plus their little wildcat schemes aren’t going to work anymore….anyway……I think out of MS & KC, the best man should get the job, regardless of how long KC been with us, i mean that’s what this country was built on. so lets stop being nice and start thinking about a championship run. :)

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 8, 2009 | Reply

Let other teams’ fans say whatever they want, Randy, the dumber they sound the better we’ll feel about all our smart, informed, classy (re the Dallas tragedy) fans. Yeah, good luck to KC and Sanchez, sooner than later it’ll be obvious who should start and how good that starter is. Hope J-Co’s on target about Sanchez playing like Rivers, though, even if he needs a year or two to grow into the job.

25. By Ray on May 8, 2009 | Reply

Randy, while the “other” fans can be irritating, not because they are on our site. I would actually enjoy some good back and forth debates about our teams. But because they are always boring one liners with one purpose…to get a rise out of us. Then again it is hard for us to have a battle of wits against unarmed opponents!! However to ban them would be even worse.

26. By Rick Roucoulet on May 8, 2009 | Reply

Im very close to saying I LOST ALL RESPECT FOR FAVRE but until i hear him make a statement i wont go by what the media says. But if there’s any truth to this whole Favre returning thing, then i lost the respect. I feel it all has to do w/$$$ now. If he does return, he NEEDS to be @ the whole camp w/his teammates & if not, that shows an EGO issue like i think we’ve been witnessing in the last year.

27. By Rick Roucoulet on May 8, 2009 | Reply

If Favre was serious & determined, we wouldnt be hearing all kinds of drama, all we’d hear is how he’s back & is in camp with his teammates. Nothing else…..

28. By Dino on May 8, 2009 | Reply

I can’t stand the dolphins!!! Let fins fans have their say. it’s fun to bash back and forth. Glad to see Ryan is going to utilize Ghoston’s skills properly. This guy can be an awesome force. Last year was trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Remember when Hubie Brown tried to use Patrick Ewing as a power forward?! One more thing….Am I the only one ticked off at L.Coles?

29. By sal on May 8, 2009 | Reply

i had never got use to certain ex-radio types on a major ny station bad mouthing NY teams and rooting for other teams, i always felt they should do there job where thier teams is. this is ny. but i got use to the new media.,that kind of thing wouldnt of happened back in the day. as far as the dolphin fan, i think he is a nut with nothing else to do in life, if he crosses the line dump him

30. By sal on May 8, 2009 | Reply

good to here Brian Shotenheimer reference Rivers,Breese competeion, were the #1 draft pick didnt win out, think it worked out for both QB’s, not comparing kellin w/ Breese, but he hasnt had a real shot either. Besides worst that can happen, he flops and gets pulled season isnt determined in the 1st few games,besides this team has had its share of 1st roud flops, this one is to expensive to flop

31. By J.W. on May 8, 2009 | Reply

Posting other team fans comments is totally fair. We JETS fans can take it. And you know what, maybe it’ll fire us up. Lets go JETS FANS!!! Ive blown my voice out at every game Ive gone to, and I know it helps the team to have the greatest fans in football in those stands. Posting the comments between Cowboy & JETS fans about the bubble collapse was great too. The NFL is a truly honorable family.

32. By Hogan on May 8, 2009 | Reply

It is fishboys right to foolishly try to get under our skin. The sad fact is the phins worry me the least out of the AFC east, and we r under his skin cause we own them.

33. By Old Rogue on May 8, 2009 | Reply

Randy – I have asked this question in a number of places, but getting no answers, so you’re on deck. What was the genesis of the latest Favre stories/rumors? Not one journalist (Pfff!) has quoted any of the principals. Favre-to-the-Vikings simply appeared out of the ether, without any substantial proof that it was even a real story. Have we been led by the nose from the start?

34. By Randy Lange on May 8, 2009 | Reply

Old Rogue, I don’t know the answer to that, either. In this case, it could have been the Vikings confirming on background, “a source close to the team” (Yahoo! Sports’ locution), the agent — and Bus Cook was quoted on the record in Mississippi this week — or even Favre, who’s been known to answer a few personal emails. All I can say for sure is that I was not the source of the rumors.

35. By Erik the Jets fan! on May 8, 2009 | Reply

I live in here in Miami, Fla and i am a JETS FAN! They Trash us down here constantly, CALL THERE STATION 1-888-790-3776 AND TRASH THE DOLTRASH!

36. By JOHNNYJET on May 8, 2009 | Reply

RANDY- JUST HEARD THE RAMS CUT THEIR TOP LEADING TACKLER LINEBACKER PISA TINAMOISA I THINK THATS HOW ITS SPELLED. YOU THINK MIKE T IS ALL OVER THIS RELEASE?

37. By Randy Lange on May 8, 2009 | Reply

Pisa Tinoisamoa? Yes, I’m sure Mike T and our pro personnel people are aware of it, JOHNNYJET. But thanks.

38. By Row on May 8, 2009 | Reply

I enjoy the #1dolphinsfan’s posts. I also like how you run the radar. It’s really odd how the media asks a player a question about a questionable player, and when the comment is made, they criticize the player like he went out to find the media to talk trash. Cotch is a stand up guy, maybe someone should ask him how he feels about a rookie QB (Sanchez) making more then him… lol Go Jets

39. By Greg on May 9, 2009 | Reply

With the fire and desire ,,the love of the game , lets get brett farve to come back as QB coach with his personality and attitude as a player and knowlege of the game if he wanted to teach i would think he would be a great influnce

40. By Charlie on May 9, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy, I dont mind if the disgruntled Division rivals fans post trash here. I do it on their sites. Most of the time they dont post them(must be protecting moral) I can understand why Bills, Fins and especially Pats fans are coming here to this site and posting stuff. They have nothing new to look forward to. Oh wow, TO in Buffalo/ The Pats staying older with Freddie T/ and the Fins, Fluke

41. By John326 on May 9, 2009 | Reply

Randy,
    let those dolfans bring it, as a new yorker to the bone i love a good fight!
    plus censorship is not cool!

By the way, what is our salary cap situation and do we have room to pick up any good TEs or WRs that might be cut by other teams as camp gets closer, or are we going to battle with what we have?

Great Blog Thanks for what you do!

42. By Randy Lange on May 9, 2009 | Reply

John326, I don’t know what the Jets’ exact cap situation is (I don’t have to worry about that anymore, not being a newspaper beatwriter), but I believe Mike Tannenbaum and his people have the cap room to continue to do adjust the roster for Rex Ryan and his people.

43. By jimmy vegas on May 9, 2009 | Reply

i could not agree more that favre would be a great asset as a qb coach. Even though i disagree with what he did/doing it would be tremendous asset.

44. By Scott on May 10, 2009 | Reply

Dolphins have the weakest talent in division, and will fall to 6-10 this year. If Chad gets hurt, 2-14. One rebound year and a few of the obnoxious fans step out and make the rest of their fan base look stupid. NE blew the draft, trading 3 good players AND trading down. Buffalo lost great tackle, so Edwards better get used to scrambling. We need another beefy DL. Ryan knows this and will get one.

45. By Dublin Jet Niall on May 11, 2009 | Reply

Randy, re the Fins fans et al, I would like to re-iterate what everyone has been saying here……………Bring ‘em on!!! Who knows, they might learn something by rubbing shoulders with the erudite, sophisticated and (lets face it) pure unadulterated genius regularly on display here. I just know dear Oscar would have been a Jets fan if he were alive today!!