• Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 12:15 PM - 12:45 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Jets Insider Eric Allen will report from Training Camp practice with guests Willie Colon and Rex Ryan
  • Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 1:15 PM - 1:45 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will adress the media following Training Camp practice
  • Sun., Aug. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Thu., Aug. 07, 2014 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Sun., Aug. 10, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 11, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 13, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Boomer: Rex Could Be a ‘Star’

Posted by Eric Allen on June 25, 2009 – 11:41 am

It’s become an annual tradition.

When the calendar reaches late June, I shuffle off to Hofstra for the Outback Steakhouse Empire Challenge and I meet up with Boomer Esiason before kickoff. We always chat about the game and his foundation, and then we briefly talk about the state of the Jets and the AFC East.

Sanchez Has “It”

We covered a number of topics Tuesday, beginning with rookie QB Mark Sanchez.

“It is the presence to handle all the things that are going to come at him now,” Boom said. “When you’re the fifth overall pick in the draft and you sign a $50 million dollar contract, people expect results right away.

“He’s going to have to deal with whatever criticism comes his way. In my estimation, he has accepted it thus far. He’s had fun with the guys at camp when they were calling him ‘Money Man’ and posting the [GQ] pictures without the shirt on and me ripping the shirt off of him on stage at a charity event. He’s getting all that stuff and he’s cool with it. He gets it. I can sense the kid really understands what’s going on.”

Simms’ Scouting Report

Leading up to the draft, Esiason hosted a draft preview show on MSG and was joined by Phil Simms. Both men thought the Jets should move up to get Sanchez and Simms was high on the USC product after his workout.

“Phil said he went and watched the workout,” Boomer said. “He said Boomer, ‘The kid can make every throw, he is a pocket passer and he can throw on the run.’ He didn’t think he would be as spontaneous as Ben Roethlisberger or Joe Flacco. He thought he’d be more like a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning, a Matt Ryan — a guy who’s going to stand in the pocket, read the defenses and knows how to get rid of the ball. He said his throwing motion is as flawless as he’s ever seen and I agreed with him.”

Kellen’s Chances

While many media pundits have already awarded the starting job to Sanchez, Esiason wouldn’t be all that surprised to see Clemens on the field come September 13 when the Jets meet the Texans down in Houston.

“I think Kellen will have a chance to start. The reality is this — they drafted a kid with the fifth overall pick and they don’t draft a kid with the fifth overall pick to jam him up in a quarterback deal,” Esiason said. “That’s your guy, that’s the guy who is going to sell the PSLs for you, he’s the guy who’s going to be on the field.

"But is he going to be ready that first season? That’s the question, so therefore Kellen will have an opportunity to go out there and play, and maybe they won’t rush Mark quickly along. And if Kellen plays well and the team wins, then Kellen keeps the job. But if Kellen falters in any way, shape or form, it’s going to be the rookie out there.”

A Coaching Star?

After a change of head coaches, the culture has certainly changed here in Florham Park. While Eric Mangini preferred a more tight-lipped approach, Rex Ryan has been anything but conservative in his dealings with the media.

“It’s a breath of fresh air and I think everybody realizes that. The people who work in that building know it more than anybody else. He is a bombastic type of loud guy who is not afraid to throw his personality out there, which is refreshing,” Boom said.

“If he wins, he could be the biggest star this city has ever seen. You know that, don’t you? From a coaching standpoint, he can be the biggest and best ever.”

Possibility of Theater in Buffalo

With Tom Brady back in the lineup, Esiason sees the Patriots as the “odds-on favorite” in the AFC East and the Jets, the Dolphins and the Bills grouped closely together.   Like many other people, he is fascinated to see how the Terrell Owens experiment works.

“Part of me is conflicted — I want Trent [Edwards] to do well and I want them to do well, but I’d also like to see what would happen if they had a losing record and TO is in Buffalo come late November or December,” he said. “Forget about renting a house man — he’ll be renting a jet to get out of there.   It’s going to be wild. That has the potential to be off the charts wild!

“They gave him the key to the city kind of like Mayor Bloomberg did here with Brett Favre — not a good thing to do.   But they sold 55,000 season tickets which was their third best total ever, smart right? You bring in TO, a personality, and then look at what happens.”

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “Boomer: Rex Could Be a ‘Star’”

1. By Ira on Jun 25, 2009 | Reply

Bomer is right on about Kellen’s chances. But i disagree and think Sanchez will get a crash course unless they see he can’t handle it. While i wish Kellen all the luck in the world he really needs to play head and shoulders above Sanchez to win this job. Anything close and Sanchez starts in Houston.

2. By Ira on Jun 25, 2009 | Reply

Edwards is getting better and better and should really come into his own this year with TO,Evans,Parish, and Reed.Plus they drafted a pass catching TE in S.Nelson. But Edwards fate will all come down to how the o-line plays. they revamped the o-line with 3 new starters so we will have to see how that plays out. EA,Yes if the Bills are out of it when the Jets go up North TO might blow the roof off.

3. By wayne on Jun 25, 2009 | Reply

Brady, Manning and Ryan are pretty high company for a kid with 16 college starts to be mentioned with.I don’t believe he should even be put in the category with Ryan/Flacco since their type of success rarely happens…We all know that Clemens’s not in the long term plans here, but many a kid with the “best talent ever” have flopped.Is he in it for the glamour or the game.We’ll soon findout.

4. By Howard on Jun 25, 2009 | Reply

my thoughts on the Clements Sanchez situation,with Kellen in the last yr of his contract and more likely not getting another contract from the jets I see sanchez starting right from the start of the season so this staff knows what they have could they possibly throw this yr away for the betterment of future yrs your guess is as good as mine

5. By Alexander on Jun 25, 2009 | Reply

Esiason wasn’t comparing the talent of Sanchez to Manning or Brady, Wayne. He is comparing his style of QB play. Standing tall in the pocket and reading the defense, instead of Flacco, who avoids hit after hit, running around the field then bombing the ball deep.

6. By Violeta on Jun 25, 2009 | Reply

I think Sanchez is going to be a Franchise QB but the Jets fans have to give him time to developt. He is going to do his best effort and I know you NY Jets fans will be very happy with him.

7. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 25, 2009 | Reply

Thanks, Violeta, you sound like a USC fan! I like Howard’s comment. I’d rather the Jets go 6-10 vs. this year’s tough schedule and give MS a crucial year of experience than start KC and buy into fantasies about going 9-7 and winning the SB. I know the frustration of long-time fans, especially if they’re ticket holders, but look what the “We have to win next year!” mindset has done to the Yanks.

8. By wayne on Jun 26, 2009 | Reply

Alexander, I hope so. Because the tendency with the media, especially in NYC, is for the big buildup followed by the fall.Even if I have to be the one voice not going gaga over this kid, he gonna hear my complaints….Some of us just want wins.NOT NEWS AND CERTAINLY NOT CHARISMA.If he approaches his job like Peyton n Brady do,or Simms n Boomer did,he’s gonna be good. But we’ll have to wait n see.

9. By russ on Jun 26, 2009 | Reply

If the DL doesnt have the big push we will be what we are..over achievers….I fear any game that Kris Jenkins doesnt play…but as of today we are still tied for !st in all categories…keep it up guys…

10. By andyk on Jun 26, 2009 | Reply

A coach that lets gets into a verbal shouting match with a Division rivals linebacker …well, lets just say that he clearly doesnt understand the role of a head coach…Crocker is clearly in Ryans head, and Ryan lost just by engaging him in averbal duel…

11. By Ray on Jun 27, 2009 | Reply

First off the guys name is Crowder not Crocker. Secondly, I think Rex was having fun with it, I highly doubt he is giving it nearly as much thought as you are. And Third, I happen to like a coach who is confident in his team and himself. Ryan wins hands down in my book.

12. By blackmassrevrend on Jun 29, 2009 | Reply

It was hilarious.I like Ryan.He is funny as hell and I can’t wait to see how the Jets do this year.

13. By Anthony on Jun 29, 2009 | Reply

First off Ryan has faith in the Jets that Mangini never showed. I have faith in the Jets and think that Crowder is garbage. And as for Brady don’t count him out. He is possibly the best of all time(I hate saying that as a Jet Fan) but its true. And if you want to beat him you got to hit him. Constant motion on defense messes him up too. I think Ryan has the Formula and hope we break the Pats

14. By Row on Jun 29, 2009 | Reply

Well, the Dolphins did beat us last, had a better record by two games, and schooled our QB while winning with our so called (former) garbage QB. I am all about Rex’s confidence, but is he too old school to make offense a priority? Does he really think we can win with a NT who plays 20-30 plays at most, and a DE who was hardly a starter? Should we give into the media and start Sanchez?

15. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 30, 2009 | Reply

You got a lotta questions today, Row! Here’s some answers: The Fins, who squeaked by last year against bad teams, will get crushed this year by good ones. Chad, who threw badly most of last year and paid the price when it counted (against the Ravens), will do so again this year. As for those key defensive players and MS, they’ll measure up or be sat down. We can’t right Mangini’s Folly overnight.

16. By ranger4win on Jul 1, 2009 | Reply

Neither KC nor MS ‘will last’ 16 games+! Neither KC nor MS ‘can hang in the ever collapsing pocket’ with the bigger/taller O-linemen and ‘much bigger/taller/more athletic D-lines. The two front runners will have
    a record # of tipped balls; those lead to ‘excess interceptions’. The most athletic, point guard raised, shortstop raised, pitcher raised? “AINGE RAISED TO JUST WIN-6’6″-JUST WIN BABY”

17. By Ray on Jul 2, 2009 | Reply

I’m ranger46 I like tall qbs…click, I’m ranger46 I like tall qbs…..click, I’m ranger46 I like tall qbs….click, I’m ranger46 I like tall qbs….click, I’m ranger46 ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

18. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2009 | Reply

Ranger, ya can’t fool me with that slight name change, and your obsession is starting to scare me. Every time you post, I keep wondering why it’s not accompanied by any report on the site on how Ainge is rocketing up the depth chart. I’m starting to get this eerie feeling that one day you’re going to weigh in on Ainge at your most enthusiastic yet…and then I’m gonna read that he’s been cut.

19. By ranger4win on Jul 14, 2009 | Reply

If the Jets give the ball to MS for the 2009-2010 season, the Jets wil have a losing season AND MS will get his body seriously ‘Banged Up’ and/or Injured! It was/is a huge mistake to rely on a 22-23 year old kid with only16 games of experience in college, who’s only 6’1″. This is the flippin’ NFL, not the PACIFIC-10 conference! Didn’t Oregon State beat Sanchez last season?
    $50 million? Insane!