THE REX BOX: Run Over Drill

Posted by Randy Lange on August 1, 2009 – 1:17 pm

There were a lot of elements of this morning’s practice to get Rex Ryan fired up — Jim Leonhard’s interception and lateral to Lito Sheppard, the scuffle between Shaun Ellis and Damien Woody at the end of that play — but the Jets head coach was really pumped about the first play of the blitz pickup drill.

“I think we saw Shonn Greene get welcomed to the NFL by Bryan Thomas,” said Rex about BT’s bullrush that bowled the rookie RB backward to the Cortland Stadium turf. “That’s what I like to call Run Over Drill, and that’s why we call it Run Over Drill.

“Usually on offense, when you don’t have pads on and the running backs are 1-on-1 with the linebackers, we call that Run Away Drill. And when you gotta pass-block, that’s Run Over Drill — they get ‘em back. Shonn’s got to realize, oof, they’re not messing around over there.

“But it was good, man,” Ryan said. “I tell you what. That’s exciting to me. I love watching that drill, because you have to be an unbelievable competitor to sit in there and take on some of those big rushers. You see Thomas Jones, you see Leon, and Shonn, too, to his credit, he got nailed, but he came right back. I like the way our backs compete.”

A lot of that, Rex beamed, comes from his RBs coach, Anthony Lynn.

“Anthony’s a tough guy and they want to please him. Sometimes a coach will rub off on a team.”

Exhibit A, of course, is Ryan himself.

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to “THE REX BOX: Run Over Drill”

1. By Ira on Aug 1, 2009 | Reply

I understand why Rex is excited about the D. They are really flying all over the field and Leonhard already is showing the big play ability he has. Loved when Ellis took a swing at D.Woody. Its only day #2 and the heat is starting to crank up. Oh yes Greene was leveled.

2. By Ira on Aug 1, 2009 | Reply

The afternoon practice today was for special teams. While Conley got off some very good punts i thought Hodges had the better afternoon.

3. By Fish Hunters on Aug 1, 2009 | Reply

So Ira you attended the practice today?

4. By Ira on Aug 1, 2009 | Reply

Fish,
    Yeah i have been here for all of them so far. It was a rainy one yesterday am but its been great weather since and lots of fun.

5. By MrJetGreen on Aug 1, 2009 | Reply

What a relief it is listening to to the coaches conference with Rex Ryan….what a relief it is. If the Jets management would have listened to what I though we needed for a coach and went out to find a match they would have hired Rex Ryan. We had some fair coaches over the last decade but what a relief it is to have Rex Ryan.

6. By Chris on Aug 2, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy, If you are ever out for an extended period of time Ira can fill in for you.

7. By Randy Lange on Aug 2, 2009 | Reply

I have no doubts about that, Chris.

8. By jetsdude on Aug 2, 2009 | Reply

“may old acquaintance be forgot, in the days of old rex ryan”

9. By the real t.o. on Aug 2, 2009 | Reply

i agree man. iras got some nuggets for ya. god bless him! im real jealous hes there and im not! and god bless rex ryan! hes the leader we need. i trust him and his staff and players to get us to be a smash mouth and overall feared defense. watch out channing crowder! we re gonna shut yer mouth for ya with a left hook.

10. By Rich Matthews on Aug 2, 2009 | Reply

Randy, the Jets are moving in the proper direction with Rex Ryan’s philosophy of football.

11. By Tyreek on Aug 3, 2009 | Reply

I love the way rex is just letting the players have fun. E.M. was just an over paid drill sergent. I like this and I it continues and we beat the pats in week 2. we have not won against the pats at home in years. J-E-T-S JETS ! JETS ! JETS !