• Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Oct. 03, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:55 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Oct. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 07, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Every Tuesday throughout the season, Jets fans can tune into Jets Extra Point, a weekly show that dissects the previous week's game with detailed analysis. The show will also feature exclusive interviews with Jets players and coaches. Host Brian Custer is joined by Ray Lucas, Tony Richardson, and a rotating panel of Jets on SNY analysts.
  • Wed., Oct. 08, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Thu., Oct. 09, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.

Tweaks, Tweets to Our Game Coverage in ’09

Posted by Randy Lange on August 13, 2009 – 4:21 pm

A new season, a new head coach, a new starting quarterback (after No. 4 a year ago), a new defensive scheme filled with exciting potential.

And with all that newness, newyorkjets.com is going to take a slightly new approach to covering the games for you, beginning with Friday night’s 7 p.m. kickoff of the Jets’ preseason opener against the St. Louis Rams at the Meadowlands.

For the previous two seasons, we brought you live, continuously updated game blogs on the Radar, to which you could offer in-game comments. This year, with our ever-adapting technology, we’re going to bring you a twist — not to mention a tweet — with our game coverage.

We’ll be conducting a live chat during the game through the CoveritLive chat interface. The chat will begin 15 minutes before each kickoff — so at 6:45 p.m. on Friday — and continue until the final gun. Eric Allen and I will host the chat from our prime location right near the 50-yard line in the Meadowlands pressbox. You can ask us questions and offer comments, and EA and I will provide answers and offer insight as the game goes along.

We’ll also continue to use the New York Jets Twitter account. Rather than mentioning all the highlights that many of you will be seeing for yourselves during the game telecast on WCBS, Channel 2 in New York, we will be tweeting about team and individual records and distinctions and behind-the-scenes observations that will help you follow the Jets as they play each game more closely than ever.

I’ll still be filing pregame and postgame Radar entries, with EA, reporter Kyle Richardson and myself working up stories and blogs for the next day, taking us into the next week of the season.

Richardson’s Jets-Rams game advance will be up on the site early Friday morning, then I’ll check in with the pregame scene-setting Radar from the Meadowlands, and then we’ll take our new technology out for a test drive. We hope you’ll join us.

Camp Schedule Update

Rex Ryan and staff have made a slight revision to the coming week’s practice schedule at SUNY Cortland that nevertheless could be important if you’re planning a trip up to see the team off-off-Broadway one last time.

Originally, Thursday, Aug. 20, was set to be the last two-a-days of camp, with pads in the morning and soft shells in the afternoon. Then Friday was going to be a special teams practice in the morning, followed by the afternoon trip back to New Jersey.

The shells and ST practices have been flipped. Now Thursday’s schedule is for pads in the morning, special teams in the afternoon. And Friday it will be soft shells in the morning before breaking camp.

This has also been updated on the training camp calendar on newyorkjets.com.

Filling the Westerman Gap

Following up on my Jamaal Westerman lead-in for Tuesday’s afternoon practice, I see my good friend Tom Luicci did a piece in today’s Star-Ledger about how Rutgers is trying to fill the void left by Westerman’s departure after last season. In fact, Luicci gets Rex Ryan’s name into the first sentence of his story.

One of the players who’ll be trying to move into Westerman’s shoes and DE position is Jonathan Freeny, who, despite the spelling, is related to Indianapolis Colts DE Dwight Freeney.

“Jamaal was one of the smartest players on the team," Freeny told Luicci. "Playing behind him every day last year was like a learning experience. He taught me with the way he played and he taught me about the mental part of the game."

Read the story here on the Star-Ledger site.

Tags: , , ,

28 Responses to “Tweaks, Tweets to Our Game Coverage in ’09”

1. By chrisfaceoff on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

I really like the changes, I think ti could provide us who might not be able to catch the game a quicker update of the progress as well as any interesting news bits as well.

Randy, I was wondering, I am thinking about attending another camp after hofstra (my 1st one) would I still get a shot for some autographs because I am driving roughly 4.5 hours to come

thanks in advance. GO JETS!

2. By Randy Lange on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

chrisfaceoff, the Jets have had autograph sessions after every training camp practice at Cortland, with a different position highlighted each time, so I’d say you still have a shot to get some camp autographs.

3. By chrisfaceoff on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

not trying to complain because I have had the chance to get many from other great players but realistically im interested in coming to have a good chance at getting both quarterbacks, Bart Scott, TJ and Washington, do you think the chances are in my favor or against me. I know the chance of getting all is way out there but looking to get 1 or 2 Also thanks for the first reply, its appreciated!

4. By CCY on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

Randy, will we be able to review the “CoveritLive” chat Q&A’s after the fact?

5. By bestjets on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

do you guys ever think about writing down the questions in advance instead of duh duh duhing you’re through every interview

6. By Ira on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

Can’t wait until tomorrow night. It will be fun to see a lot of these new Jets for the first time. Westerman is one of them and i expect some good things from him has well as from Murrell, Cummings, Greene, Britt Davis, and i really want to see Wright in a full WR role. Randy, Any times set for the practices at Florham?

7. By commentman on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

cool, i gotta download twitter on my ipod now, lets hope theres an app 4 that, hey Randy any idea which punters starting friday?

8. By Randy Lange on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

chris, there’s no way I can handicap the odds of getting any given player’s autograph.

9. By Randy Lange on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

CCY, we’re still becoming familiar with the software, but I understand that each game’s live chat will be archived and available down the road.

10. By Randy Lange on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

Not yet, Ira. We’ll announce them as soon as we get them.

11. By Randy Lange on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

comment, Reggie Hodges is listed first on the depth chart, T.J. Conley second, but Rex Ryan didn’t announce his or Mike Westhoff’s plays for the punting rotation.

12. By Alan on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

Wow, randy im just in total shock with this breaking news, Michael Vick signed a 2 year deal with the Eagles? Wasnt Donovan Mcnabb a fast qb anyways? i dont know why they needed vick. Seems odd . But congrats for the eagles. i guess?

13. By Big O on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

Randy, I just wanted to make a prophetic statement and that is Chris Baker is going to bite our butt! Why in the world? we give one of the best tight ends to New England. He was a natural!!! You can bet all of the money in your pocket that Chris Baker is Tom Bradys new friend and he only adds to the weaponry with Moss, Welker and now Baker. I am so upset with Woody and Tanny!! We lost key player

14. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Now I’m REALLY gonna start trouble: I’m all for Vick signing with PHI. In fact, I think he should be declared eligible for the first regular-season game. The maniacs at PETA (“Save the animals, screw the people”) asked “what kind of signal this sends.” I’ll tell ya the signal it sends: That in this country and ideally in this world, once you’ve served your time you get another chance in society.

15. By roger on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

so what’s the deal with Pace? He can play in the preseason games right? And do you know if he will be starting or playing backup for the preseason?

16. By Ira on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I feel Hodges and Conley have both had their moments in camp but still they are both inconsistent at times. Hodges doesn’t have the leg that Conley has but he is the better directional punter. I still feel if somebody shakes loose later this month the Jets will bring somebody in. Otherwise depending how they both play Hodges could start the season while Conley gets put on the PS.

17. By Ira on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Another battle to watch is E.Smith and Ihedigbo. While Smith has had his share of INT’s Digs has really shown me a lot with his quickness for blitzing and his run support. The Jets secondary is loaded and up to the task of taking on Brady and the Pats and his old and new weapons. GO JETS!!!!

18. By Ira on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I am very interested to see how Rex rotates players with Pace and Ellis. Considering they’re both going to miss time i am looking for Devito, VG, Murrell and Trusnik to get reps with the 1st unit. I also want to see what Pitoitua can do. GO JETS!!!!

19. By Anthony on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I like what I have seen so far at camp but to be honest Ira based on your comment Ihedigbo he is a good player not doubt but I still remember him having two weeks consecutively last year making Washington lose 2 return touchdowns due to him holding. Those two touchdowns were costly.and stick in my mind haha.

20. By BriGuyinFL on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Sportscenter is already taking shots at us for letting Baker go. This morning “Last year he was a jet, this year he is good”. I laughed out loud, but I cried a little on the inside…

21. By Larry on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Gotta comment on the Vick thing. Serving your time and becoming a member of society again is a given right that applies to everyone in this great country. However, serving your time and stepping back to 1 of the greatest jobs in the world is another. If ur a cop, a banker or a blogger for the Jets your flipping burgers after your time. Goodell bungles it yet again.

22. By Alan on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Shep i know theyre number 2 man got hurt, but i mean it doesnt make Sense for Vick, They truly dont need him in Wildcat, Dallas couldve used him in Wildcat with Felix Jones, and Roy Williams wouldve been deadly, just deosnt make sense on his part, good move by PHI though

23. By scjoe on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I hope Rex has a little more confidence in the 2nd team to let Sanchez play a little longer, I think he needs all the game experience he can get if there is even a chance that he will start. After all, he will be playing AGAINST the #2s as well.

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I respect your view, Larry, but NFL QB is the job Vick was trained in and has done. No reason he should be denied working it if he’s judged to have served his time. And you’re off about what happens to folks in other jobs. Read some true crime stuff and you’ll see that many cops, FBI and CIA agents, etc. get in trouble and return to service. As for crooked bankers, they just go to work in D.C.

25. By edward on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

the new coverage is you dont do florida im on vaction and the game is not on

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

Allow me to elaborate, Randy: I meant those cops, FBI, and CIA guys often get in trouble, ARE CLEARED, and ONLY THEN return to service. I neglected to spell that out, struggling to come in under the character limit. I didn’t mean to imply that law enforcement and intelligence guys can get away with anything. It seems only the financial guys can do that. Now I gotta go watch the Jets!

27. By 36 year fan on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

I told you about Ainge he’s great. Clowney looks exceptional. From Amityville, Long Island, He IS ,….the Amityville Horror (for the other team). Sanchez looked great.

28. By Ray on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

Larry, if Vick’s crimes had anything to do with football THEN he should not be allowed to return to the NFL. Goodell did the right thing and had he denied him at some point the NFL would have been in court for denying him a right to make a living. ’64 Tom makes good points about others getting second chances. He served the sentence that was handed down. Why are people surprised by this?