• Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Oct. 03, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:55 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Oct. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 07, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Every Tuesday throughout the season, Jets fans can tune into Jets Extra Point, a weekly show that dissects the previous week's game with detailed analysis. The show will also feature exclusive interviews with Jets players and coaches. Host Brian Custer is joined by Ray Lucas, Tony Richardson, and a rotating panel of Jets on SNY analysts.
  • Wed., Oct. 08, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Thu., Oct. 09, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.

THE REX BOX: No Disrespect

Posted by Randy Lange on August 18, 2009 – 2:30 pm

Rex Ryan heard a little more today about the Baltimore Ravens remarks he made Monday, about being passed over for the Ravens head coaching job last year and about his feelings on the Ravens handing out uniform No. 99, Michael McCrary’s old number, to rookie LB Paul Kruger.

And one or two columnists probed the Jets head coach on if he’ll be moderating his free-wheeling remarks once the buzzsaw of the regular season begins.

“I probably won’t call out Channing Crowder again,” he said. “That really got blown up. I’ll pick on a kicker or something.”

And on the jersey number, Rex replied, “I just knew what Michael McCrary meant to the organization and to me. I shouldn’t speak about somebody else’s team. It’s not my organization but it was my player. That’s kind of why I said what I said.”

“I’m going to be myself. I’m going to be true to myself," Ryan said. "I’m not trying to be disrespectful. When I said what I said about Bill Belichick, I was just letting him know we’re in same position. He happens to have a lot of Super Bowl trophies and I don’t have a win yet — I appreciate you point that out. But you don’t just tiptoe through this thing.

The Jets coach also said he had his reasons for stirring the crabpot with the Ravens.

“I really do want them at their best,” he explained. “I want to judge our team against a great team. I guess you can make arguments that they were the third-best, fourth-best team, but they were a play or two away from maybe being a Super Bowl champion last year. That’s what you want to measure yourself up against. I know it’s still a preseason game, but you’re still competing against Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Joe Flacco over there. I’m excited about that.”

Rex’s bottom line: “We’re going to be ourselves and I’m going to be myself and that’s just the way it is.”

Tags: , , , , ,

18 Responses to “THE REX BOX: No Disrespect”

1. By Anonymous on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

rex get a life you know you rather have the ravens job but thats life

2. By russ on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

You’re still undefeated in regular season Rex…keep it up..tied for first in all categories…everything else if fiction…

3. By Ira on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Rex speaks his mind just like his dad did when he coached. The guy is an everyday guy. Boy are his pressers going to be great. The beat writers are going to have plenty to write about. Its going to be a lot different then the last HC. The thing i am starting to learn about Rex is he has a little Parcells in him when it comes to getting his messages across. GO REX!!!!!

4. By Tom Spicer on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

A coach I CAN RESPECT he means what he says & he says what he means! no this is a process JUNK tell it like it is we cominc for you & we are going to give you everything we have got.

5. By EricB on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Who cares about NE and how many trophies have (cheaters). Its been a very long time since we have had a coach with the same amount of charisma as the rest of the team and front office. Know that we have it, you can see the diference in the team and how the entire NFL views the Jets. We all of a sudden matter and people are talking. Rex talking right back only makes it better. LETS GO JETS

6. By Anthony on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

This is what I love about Rex, he is always true to himself and the fans. He says it like it is. None of this held back emotion garbage we went through for three years. I think every team needs a personality and he is bringing one to the Jets. Going against the Ravens has always been tough regardless what he says we all know that. Is Jenkins playing this week?

7. By Autorotate on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Thank god (or your supreme being of choice) A coach with passion and fire! Lets hope it translates into alot of W’s

8. By Randy Lange on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Anthony, Rex Ryan said today only that Kris Jenkins “is progressing along slowly, but it is a progression.” No word about Big Jenk’s availability for Baltimore.

9. By Sam on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Truthfully, I like what Rex Ryan is saying. I just HOPE REX RYAN and the JETS can back up all this BIG TALK up on Sundays with WINS!

10. By Maynard13 on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Rex maybe can walk the talk, bUT he is also hypocritical about handing out numbers. Why is he letting a thirs string QB masquerade as an NFL QB using Chad’s Number 10?

11. By Moshe on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

I don’t mind what Rex said about NE, but the guy has to let off. I love his attitude, I love his drive, I love his style. But calling out any person or orginization-outside of saying that he thinks his team can beat them-that’s unprofessional. Certain things should not be said. If he wants to be looked at as a great head coach, he has to watch what he says.

12. By Anthony on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

Rex is going about this all right you can’t be intimidated because then you back yourself into corner and get beat up. And as for disrespecting bellicheck he did that enough to himself by cheating. So with that being said he can say every coach does it well then prove it and when I see other people get caught then Bellicheck won’t be tainted. Anyway I can’t wait for opening day…

13. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

Hey Maynard 13, love your name but that third-string QB throws better than Chad ever will again. Great to see all this support for Rex and his honest, let-the-chips-fall approach. The great coaches of NFL Past would be revolted by this new breed of NFL HC’s who come off like emotion-averse (Mangini) politicians on Sunday morning talk shows — except for Landry, who set the mold for that type.

14. By AOKP on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

hey randy i heard they have some interest in brandon marshall… is ne of that true? and if they do who do you think would give up for him? and how do you think a personality like his would fit with the team and the other WR’s? thnx

15. By Ryan on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

Rex better start thnking before speaking. Don’t burn those bridges because after this project in New York comes to an ugly end………… we may let you have your D coordinator job back in Baltimore. As a ravens fan, I could never understand why Rex never got the head coaching job. Now…….. I could not be happier with the decision from the Ravens front office.

16. By dmartin on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

I remember when Mangini got a 1,000 questions on whether Belechik would shake his hand after Pats game. As I recall Belechik did when he beat the Jets and gave a passing one when Jets won later in Foxboro. It’s just talk. Like Ryan said, if the Pats need motivation from something he said, they have problems.

17. By Randy Lange on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

AOKP, I have nothing for you on Brandon Marshall, but maybe others have info or opinions on him.

18. By BKLYN JET on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

IF UR NOT A JETS FAN GET OFF OUR SITE!!!!!!!!
    “And if you take a swipe at one of ours, we’ll take a swipe at TWO of yours!!!!”-Rex Ryan, Head Coach of our NY JETS