• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

Jenkins’ Back and Other Midweek Matters

Posted by Eric Allen on September 16, 2009 – 6:28 pm

As you can imagine, it was a busy day here at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. There are a number of topics to get to, so let’s clear the notebook.

Jenkins Visits the Chiropractor

One of the biggest fears of Jets Nation is an injury to one of their better players and NT Kris Jenkins was limited in practice Wednesday due to a lower back ailment. But Big Jenks told reporters there’s nothing to worry about.

“It’s not me trying to weasel out of work and it’s not me having like serious issues,” he said. “I wish I could tell you all this is probably the only time it will happen, but it may not be. It depends. If I feel something in my body that I may have to take care of, then I’m going to do it. I’m going to make sure whatever I do that I’m going to get my butt out on the field.”

Last September, the Jets got a huge scare during a Monday night game in San Diego. The 6’4”, 360-pound Jenkins experienced back discomfort during a 48-29 loss and spent most of that night on the sideline.

“This is the deal. Last year when we played San Diego, it was kind of like the same situation. I felt a little something, but I assumed that because I’m as tough as I am, I’ll be able to get through it and I’ll be fine,” he said. “Then when I went to the game, things happened and it didn’t work out the way I wanted to.”

Head coach Rex Ryan said Jenkins spent some time with the chiropractor today. Intent on having Jenkins 100 percent for Sunday’s divisional showdown against the Patriots, the Green & White took the safe approach.

“I’m trying to make sure that I give my team the best that I can give it,” Big Jenks said. “And if that means I have to go and do a couple of things real quick to make sure I’m ready to go on Sunday, then that’s what I have to do.”

A healthy Jenkins will be critical to the Jets’ success this weekend. Just days after the Patriots scored 12 points in the final minutes to claim a one-point comeback win over the Bills, Jenkins said the AFC East might be better than people think.

“I think Buffalo did some really good things against New England and I don’t think you can look at it like they got lucky. They went out there and they game-planned good, they schemed good and they played a great game. It didn’t work out for them at the end — New England was able to pull it off. But as a whole, I think it has something to say about our division. Our division is getting tougher.”

Revis, Randy to Meet Again

Last week during an online chat on newyorkjets.com, cornerback Darrelle Revis said Chad Ochocinco is the receiver who’s given him the most trouble throughout his career. But Randy Moss is no slouch, either, and after limiting Andre Johnson to just four receptions and 35 yards, Revis will attempt to lock up with the 6’4”, 210-pound Moss.

“I have been going against Moss since I’ve been here, so it’s nothing new,” Revis said. “Me and him have competed with each other before and I’m looking forward to it. It’s going to be fun and I can’t wait.”

Only a short time after his rookie holdout, Revis’ first professional action came against Moss and the Pats on Sept. 9, 2007. Moss responded with a nine-catch, 183-yard performance, but he’s averaged just three catches and 35 yards (including a stat shutout last September) in the three meetings since then. (Obviously, Moss didn’t have Tom Brady tossing him the rock in 2008.)

“He is a proven veteran. He has a lot of knowledge and a lot of tricks in his game of play,” said the Jets’ No. 1 corner. “Crazy stuff — pulling shirts, swim moves. Randy Moss is great at what he does.”

Having tasted defeat to the Patriots twice at home in his young career, the 24-year-old Revis wants his club to protect its turf.

“It’s a big game for us. They’ve won eight straight games and it’s embarrassing to be home and be the favorite to win, have the crowd into it and we didn’t pull it out in the past,” he said. “It’s a great opportunity for us to get this win. We know they’re going to come down here ready and focused, and we have to snuff them out.”

Dramatically Different “D”

It’s been a youth movement for the Patriots on defense. Safety Rodney Harrison and OLB Tedy Bruschi retired, ILB Mike Vrabel was shipped to the Chiefs on draft weekend, and Bill Belichick recently shocked many in the football world with his move of DE Richard Seymour to the Raiders for a first-round pick in 2011.

“When you turn on Patriots film, you expect to see Seymour, Bruschi in the middle, Vrabel coming off the edge and Rodney Harrison coming out and clotheslining people,” said WR Jerricho Cotchery. “When you turn on the film and you don’t see those guys, it’s like, ‘Oh, man, what’s going on?’ It’s weird to see all those guys just leave at one time.”

And it’s been reported that LB Jerod Mayo, whose 139 tackles led the Patriots last year, will miss multiple weeks after injuring his knee Monday night. (The Patriots listed him today only as "did not practice.") Mayo was the defensive signal caller for what has become a younger unit.

“They’re definitely a faster team, but the other guys made up for it because they had seen so much and they had been in the system so long,” J-Co said. “Knowing exactly what to do made up for some of the speed.”

Addressing the Fine

The National Football League fined the Jets $75,000 and GM Mike Tannenbaum an additional $25,000 for failing to place Brett Favre on the injury report last December. Favre, now a Viking, publicly has stated that he played with a torn biceps tendon during the season’s final quarter.

"We have been fully cooperative with the League throughout this investigation and respect their decision," said the team in a statement.

Former Jets head coach Eric Mangini, who holds the same position now in Cleveland, was also fined $25,000.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 46 Comments »

46 Responses to “Jenkins’ Back and Other Midweek Matters”

1. By John on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

That is a lot of cash for something as trivial as not listing a guy who is gonna play…….if he wasn’t gonna play and he wasn’t listed it would make more sense for a big fine. While we’re talking about league actions, how the heck do the Saints players and the Vikings players ‘not’ gewt suspended for doing the same thing that Calvin Pace ‘is’ suspended for??? What is that all about?

2. By AK JETS FAN on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Any thoughts on the JETS picking up hank Basket on waivers? One would think that he could only help out WR situation, which as good as this Team is shaping up to be is still our weak spot.

3. By jak_jetfan on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

welcome back big jenks!!! im looking forward to sundays game ,and now its even sweeter with the big guy back

4. By DGJETS on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

AK JETS FAN..I completely agree…when i saw what commissioner Goodell released regarding the saints players, i was shocked to learn that he did not enforce his presumed glory rule(HGH, performance enahancing, etc). So why is Calvin given the short end of the stick? from what i remember, he had no knowledge of the substance being on the ban list..cant he appeal to shorten the length of games???

5. By Howard on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

get big jenks hsalthy we need him full go this week the way he tosses people to the side with 1 swat,and i sure hope woody and tannebaum are happy with the fraud now another slap after we put up with his egoness

6. By Ira on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

KJ is a smart man and i think he he will do whatever it takes to keep his body as fresh and feeling good as possible. Lets face it we must have the big fella to win. EA is so right about all those familar faces that aren’t on the D anymore. Besides the D-line there are just too many changes and they are not familar with BB’s system yet. The time is now to get them.

7. By Ira on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

In last years win @ NE the Jets ran the ball 39 times for 140 yds. Now with some of the pieces missing plus Mayo out and the Jets o-line coming back together for the 2nd season in a row i expect the same type of #’s put up this week. EA, Yes Revis will take care of Moss this week. Big challenge but Revis will show why he is the best CB in the NFL. Jets must disrupt Welker at the line. GO JETS!!!!

8. By EMON63 on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

hmm havnt heard much about gholston but he looked like he did alot better in the houston game and isnt thinking as much and more so reacting hope REX can light a fire in him

9. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Eric, we need an answer from you and Randy re this apparent and shocking double standard re Pace and the Saints players! Jets, players and fans, fight till the very end and this disgraceful move by Goodell is worth fighting over. Besides, the more we can showcase his ineptitude and get him the heck out of that job, the better chance we have of keeping the schedule at 4 ex/16 regular season games.

10. By russ on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

the Moss Revis battle is always a challenge but the revcver that will keep the drives going is Welker….you dont stop him…. you lose Welker is the key man in the the slot….force hin outsude abd he us contolled let him go inside and New England will have there way…Brady will be sacked if welker is not open…

11. By scjoe on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

We all know that Jenkins makes this defense go, but on an up note, missing him for a short length of time will not be as critical in Rex’s defense as it was in Mangini’s. We all witnessed that last year.

12. By uncle joe on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

I won’t be at the game Sunday,because too many people rely on me hosting the weekly Football Bash,but you people going to the game,can you Please For The Love of GOD all chant BRADY(Just like the Darrell Strawberry chant back in the days)Everytime he gets knocked down!

13. By Ira on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Love Kerry’s remarks in the paper. I usually don’t like that approach and like to have them do their talking by the way they play on the field. But after losing 8 straight at home vs the Pats something has to change. Rex has brought this attitude to this team and they are feeding off their coach. Got love it. GO JETS!!!!!

14. By uncle joe on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Gotta give props to Mark Cannizzaro for todays article about the fines that Farve got for the jets.The only thing he left out was the fourth check Farve should write,$3,750,000 to Woody Johnson,which is the money he made for losing those last five games for us.Oh,I forgot,any checks to the players(being he’s such a TEAM PLAYER)who have incentives in their contracts if the team reaches the playoffs

15. By Frank on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

This is real simple…with all the hoopla now surrounding this team there is zero, no, none, zip, nada reasons for this team to lose this weekend. Rex and his mouth have put this team squarely in the headlights of the Pats and on the national stage. He must come up with a win.

16. By Ira on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

unlce joe and Mark, You never kiss and tell and Favre was wrong. I would rather beat the Vikes and pick off Favre 4 times in the SB then get the fine money back. Man how sweet would that be?

17. By Damone on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

If we dont BEAT the Pats,that will be ridicoulous!!Our team is on another level now and the Pats are no longer the Patriots all these sports commentators keep talking about.

18. By Anthony on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Big Jenks is a huge part of the Defense. Losing him is critical regardless who you put in . The man is a FREAK. Yea Rex has the D doing there thing but they need to game plan specifically for Big Jenks. Can’t wait for Sunday Hope the Jets take this one and end there losing streak to the Pats. I will be there rooting them on ..J-E-T-S….

19. By 12th Man on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

The Patriots defense is suspect. We have to watch the short passes and screens with our blitz schemes. Also, Rex has to plan against the spread shot gun set, which I’m sure he will. I will be there Sunday and will be as loud as humanly possible. I EXPECT you all to act the same.

20. By brian on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Hey Rex, can we please get rid of that Welcome to the Jungle crap and that stupid PC Richards whistle..Let’s get the crowd involved, I can’t wait to POUND Brady this week…We’re gonna rund the dam ball down their throat..Sanchez screen passes and send CLOWNEY down the sideline

21. By charles hofsaes on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

so coaches and mgmt let an old arm QB with a torn bicep continue to play and OUR season went dwn the drain….could have used CLEMONS to finish the season…maybe 8-3 could have been 10-6=PLAYOFFS!

22. By Jets Fan Stuck in Boston on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Everyone here in Boston thinks the Jets are a joke. I have been driving to work this week down 95 with my Jets flag flying on my car. Let’s pound the snot out of Tippy Tom and Patriots!!!!

23. By Todd on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

There shouldnt have been a fine. Obviously mangini would have benched Favre If he said he couldn’t go.This is just another example of how selfish he is to sell out his old team to improve his image elsewhere..

24. By RichW on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Eric, in the past your site used to link the news articles from the opposing team’s hometown. What happened to that? I really enjoyed reading the other side of things, how they view our team. Thanks

25. By NYJetsFan on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

To all the fans..Lets get in the stadium early, lets be loud and lets beat the Pats!!!

26. By JetLife on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

What was served by not reporting Farve’s injury? You’d had been better off donating that cash to a worthwhile Met NY charity. Oh well at least they nailed the Man”not”genious too.
    As for Sunday, focus, execute and win! J-E-T-S jets jets jets

27. By joe b on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Baskett signing with the Colts. I guess the Jets aren’t looking for another WR or TE right now. Hope no one gets injured because this team will have to pay a high price to get someone. Hope the fans really get pumped from beginning to end. Not like last year against the Cards. In the 2nd half you could’ve heard a pin drop.

28. By scjoe on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

I got a gut feeling this is the week we see a lot of Clowney. I don’t care what people say about his route running, I don’t see a CB on the NE team that can cover him one on one, they will need to double cover him and if he don’t break one or two, he should at the very least, open the field for Cotchery, Stucky, and Keller.

29. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Ray it’s you Blatantly twisting my words I never hoped Lowery wouldn’t achieve guess your comprehension is in question also.. I’m just stating facts Again I never want any jet to fail . My proof is him on the bench whats yours Guess some will go to any length to make an invalid point to blow there own horn Shame on you

30. By Ray on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Of course they think we’re a joke in Boston, they haven’t lost here since 2000 and they have all the media to pump them up. The Jets are 5 1/2 point Dogs at home! After monday night I heard more claims of Brady “working his magic” on tv and in the press than actual analysis. McKelvin doesn’t run that ball out, 90+% chance the Bills win. The Jets are the only ones who can change this mindset.

31. By Ray on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

It is time for Clowney to show he’s more than “Mr. August”. No one on NE can handle his speed. I would air one out to him early just to put that thought in their minds.

32. By Ira on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Turns out Baskett is not that much better than anyone they have. I am sure they have a short list just in case. Depth is a ? at WR. J- Co and stuckey must stay healthy. Wright had a great camp and was Sanchez’s go to go early on in camp. Wonder if he will get some time this week at WR?

33. By Ray on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

I don’t write your posts ex, your words typical and clear. “If Lowery covers Moss or Galloway we lose. He can’t cover any1 without giving up TDs or 50-60 yard bombs. ” In the preseason you were blaming him for plays he wasn’t even involved in. Those were all your words not mine, no twisting needed. And as stated before he wasn’t starting but he played on sunday and contributed.

34. By Ray on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

BTW Ex, I defend Lowery because many of your comments on him have been unfair. He’s not a shut down corner, he’s gonna get beat on some plays. Every time someone makes a catch on him it doesn’t mean he got “burned”. But to his credit, he has also made alot of plays out there. If he has a bad game, by all means, rip away! There is no shame in defending someone from lies and half truths.

35. By Ed in Tucson on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Brady & the Pats looked very beatable on MNF; Jets’ strengths match up well with Pats’ weaknesses. I see a Jets 3 TD win, 31-10, if our D plays like last week, plus we’ll have the Big Kat back.
    Go Jets!

36. By MIKE on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Are you kiddin me. VG played the entire game and stood his ground yah, but Westerman only played a handful of plays and got a sack. Who cares if he’s a #1 pick play the better guy. We can win now, if VG has it,it will come out. At least split time between West and VG this weekend. We haven’t had a undrafted player surprise us in a long time.

37. By Ira on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Mkelvin’s fumble wasn’t the 1st time a Pats game was determined like that. back in 9/97 the 1st Tuna Bowl@NE the Jets tied the game with a Key TD catch with less then 30 sec to play. They KO with 24 sec to go and no TO left. The Pats take it out of the endzone [ i forgot the players name] and fumble it. Cascadden rec the ball but Hall’s FG gets blocked. In OT Curtis runs wild and the Pats win.

38. By uncle joe on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

AN AIR RAID SOUND EFFECT! Awesome,about time!I’ve been saying for years that they should blast the sound of Fighter Jets (After all we are The Jets)over the loud speakers every so often.As for the PC Richards whistle,although it’s a dull sound it pays the bills to keep people working & plus I like PC Richards,best prices & the girl working in the one in Staten Island has Jets season tickets!

39. By Eric Allen on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Ira, Derrick Cullors was the Patriot who ran the kickoff out from 4 yards deep in the end zone, Ray Austin forced the fumble and Cascadden recovered at the Pats 18 with 27 seconds left.

40. By Ira on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Randy, The best thing that came out of that game for me was sitting there and watching Curtis run all over especially in the OT. Never dreaming that the Jets would be blessed to have him on their team the following year until 05. Man was Curtis so great.

41. By Hogan on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

guys, sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Clowney is our secret weapon this week.

42. By Gary C on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Ferguson might be the most important jet this week, Banta-Cain showed speed and quickness against Buffalo. and also Jarvis Green.Sanchez must remain upright if Jets are to win.Jets need to play action and send Clowney to the post. Merriwether will bite.

43. By Big O on Sep 18, 2009 | Reply

Eric, I appreciate your columns and all but I am just wondering why would you talk about Jenkins back, before a major matchup with the Patriots! Dont you think Belichick is shrewd enough to pull out the weakest link!

44. By Eric Allen on Sep 18, 2009 | Reply

Big O, Kris Jenkins talked about his back, as did Rex Ryan, before we wrote about it.

45. By Joe Neger on Sep 18, 2009 | Reply

Hey Randy, I watched that New England Buffalo game and to tell you the truth, neither of them impressed me that much at all, in fact the wy we played against Houston I ruly believe we could’ve kicked both their behinds, is it just me or does the Pats look like a normal team???

46. By Rick Roucoulet on Sep 19, 2009 | Reply

12th MAN is very correct – Gotta watch the short passes & screens because WE’LL b attacking Brady & they’ll b playing the same way WE had 2 play last year – ALSO: It was reported that due 2 last years arm cover up, 3 checks were written in fines (Mr. T, Woody & Mangini) well one more is needed: PAY THE FANS BACK TOO for the let down & lost season, Even though its Manginis fault (Mr. Secretive).