• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Ryan and Fisher Have a Buddy in Common

Posted by Randy Lange on September 23, 2009 – 4:54 pm

Jets fans have been through the touching coach vs. coach stories in recent years: Herm Edwards vs. Tony Dungy, Eric Mangini vs. Romeo Crennel.

This week we’ve got another of those matchups, but Rex Ryan vs. Jeff Fisher doesn’t have the usual NFL dynamic. Ryan respects the heck out of Fisher not only because the two have competed against each other for a while but also because of Jeff’s relationship with his father, Buddy.

"I’m proud of the fact that my dad got Jeff in the league," Ryan said at the end of today’s news conference as the buildup began for Sunday’s Jets-Titans Meadowlands matchup. "He played for my father. My dad gave him his first coordinating job. He was the youngest coordinator in the league at the time. I take a little pride."

"I was very fortunate to be with Buddy for 10 solid years, five as a player and five as a coach at Philadelphia," Fisher, the former safety, said on a conference call with reporters this morning. "I obviously got to know him very well. I got to know the boys [Rex and Rob] at a young age. I knew full well then that they were coming from a football family and were football guys who were going to be successful.

"I’m just really pleased to watch their success over the years at different places, coordinating at different places, then for Rex’s opportunity. We had some great battles over the last few years against his defense. I’m just really excited that the Jets family gave him an opportunity."

All this feel-good reminiscence will have nothing to do with the play on the field. As Ryan, 5 years younger than Fisher, said immediately after talking about the pride he felt at Fisher’s rise to NFL coordinator:

"Now it still doesn’t mean we’re not going to line up there and try to beat their tails. That’s what we’re going to try to do. But I respect the job he’s done and clearly he’s done a tremendous job there."

Fisher, now the NFL’s longest-tenured head coach in his 15th season as the Titans boss, went up against Baltimore four times when Ryan was the Ravens’ D-coordinator from 2005-08. The two gave as good as they got. Here are the results, along with the Titans’ offensive yardage and offensive TDs (home teams in CAPS):

Year,Gm Final Score  OffYdg OffTDs
 2005-2 TITANS 25, Ravens 10  290  1
 2006-10 Ravens 27, TITANS 26 367 3
 2008-5 Titans 13, RAVENS 10 210 1
 2008-PO2 Ravens 13, TITANS 10 391 1

Trap Flap

Ryan was quizzed about the idea that the Jets could find themselves in a "trap game" this week, feeling good about their conquest of the Patriots on Sunday, looking ahead to the trip to New Orleans next weekend, and getting caught less than ready to take on the 0-2 Titans at home.

Rex didn’t buy that line of reasoning.

"This team won 13 games last year … they were the No. 1 seed in the AFC last year," the Jets coach recalled his recent history. "So if they think we’re overlooking them, that’s good because we’re not. They’ve got another thing coming when they come in here.

"Now, the first week we play Houston — that’s a pretty good football team — at their place. We win the game like we expected to. We played a pretty good team last week in the New England Patriots. We expected to win. And we never prepared any different for those two. We prepared against New England just like any other opponent.

"I don’t know why this would be a trap game. This is just our next opponent. We know they’re an outstanding football team. If they beat us, it has nothing to do with it being a trap game or us not putting forth the effort. We’re going to give everything we’ve got this week. If they’re going to beat us, they’re going to have to earn it."

Back On Top

Ah, that was the year. Ronald Reagan was president, Michael Jackson released "Thriller," Ozzie Osbourne bit the head off a live bat, John Belushi died … and the Jets were last the No. 1 defense in the NFL.

Confirming what I could only speculate about in my late Tuesday Radar entry, the Elias Sports Bureau stated today that the last time the Jets had the NFL’s top-ranked defense in average yards allowed per game was after the fifth week of games in the strike-shortened ’82 season. Now, almost 27 years later, somewhat like a remastered disc by Jackson, the Beatles or Sinatra, the Jets are back on top.

May the Green & White survive the offensive threats posed by the Titans and in Week 4 by the Saints and hold onto that top spot for a little longer than the one week that very talented ’82 team had it way back when.

Holding Steady

Any doubts about Steve Weatherford as a holder should have evaporated on Jay Feely’s second field goal Sunday. James Dearth knows he’s got no worries.

"My snap on that field goal was not good, it was low," Dearth volunteered. "Steve trapped it and got it down for Jay without any problem. That was a great hold."

Mr. J Sees Some Action

Woody Johnson was pressed into duty during today’s practice. Stepping into the role Ryan often likes to fill, the Jets owner put up a couple of passes for the scout team offense working against the first defense.

"We’re always looking for guys out there and we only have four quarterbacks on the roster," Rex joked with reporters. "We’ve got to work on that movement outside of the pocket, but he has a good arm."

S Kerry Rhodes’ take: "He got a redo because the first pass was terrible. I have to give him props. He did get it right the second time and he pays my checks so I’ll be a little more conscious of him."

Tags: , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Ryan and Fisher Have a Buddy in Common”

1. By supercooljetfan on Sep 23, 2009 | Reply

im starting to get a little nervous about these tampering charges against the jets…Randy any info about the severity of this???

2. By Randy Lange on Sep 23, 2009 | Reply

supercool, I’ve got no information on this, other than what Rex Ryan said on Monday: “It’s not accurate. It’s not true. But we’ll let the league figure this out.”

3. By scjoe on Sep 23, 2009 | Reply

Good story on Fisher Randy. I think he is a great coach, maybe second to the guy in NE. Plus the fact my wife watches the game when ever he is involved. (thank God we don’t play them every week:-) As for this weeks game, I am a little uneasy about it. Sure, I was a little uneasy about the first two as well. But Johnson (the RB) is downright scary. I know that Rex knows that two, so it should be ok

4. By jet80 on Sep 23, 2009 | Reply

I hope Sanchez lights up the sky soon with a few long bombs.I still havent seen the arm strengh from him yet.I know its only game 3 & im sure it wont happen against the titans D, I just need a little reasurance that it can be done.You see all these espn highlights of teams with huge downfield plays for TD’s & I cant remember the last time the jets were one of them.We can get the YAC,thats it?

5. By jet80 on Sep 23, 2009 | Reply

Its not all MS i know we need a WR that can burn you downfield.Why havent the jets put Clowney in more and trade off with B.Smith.Its not even a question anymore it has to be done

6. By 36 year fan on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Shep I’m with ya. They have terrible pass defense. Our defense is on fire. I think we’re going to win 3 straight. Collins is going to have a terrible , terrible day. At least 2 picks maybe 4.

7. By Jimmer on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

I do think Jeff Fischer was the guy that stopped Buddy Ryan from beating Kevin Gilbride to a pulp.

8. By Kevin on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

jet80 Sanchez might be able to light long down field throws up against the Titans D I mean look at what Schaub did all we need is clowney in the slot running deep crossing routes or streaks we don’t need huge plays the NFL isn’t about huge 80yd td plays every time you have the ball if you do that your D will get tired I’d rather have short time consuming plays of 12+ plays for 6+ minutes

9. By Ira on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

I was concerned about Feely timing going into the season with Weatherford and the short time they had to prepare together before the opener. He did make a nice play on a very rare bad snap by Dearth. I think we are in good hands. Wish Hodges well but not this week. Hope he is punting a lot.

10. By Ira on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Fisher knows Rex’s D as well as anybody. Just look at the yds he piled on in last yrs PO game. Beware of this game and for those who want Sanchez to come out and air it Tenn is still a very good team. Sure Haynesworth is gone but they are still very talented. I would rather have them open with a safe passing game, take a shot or two down field when the time is right and then let them run it.

11. By Ira on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Another wrinkle this week is i expect a package for Young with some WC options put in.

12. By russ on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

slow and steady as you go Sanchez is doing just fine by not over reaching and pushing for the big play the game unfolds with defensive dominance and Jets need a precision steady offense…looking to light it up is only a showtime play typical of a second rate team trying to over reach…we dont need a Darryl Lamonica to entertain the “Boss” keep it real and big plays come…

13. By joe b on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Still waiting on that big trade Tanny always seems to make. We still need a #1 WR. Cotch is an excellent #2 and Stuck has really impressed playing the 2. However we still don’t strike fear in anybody deep. Defenses are going to start creeping up on us sooner or later. The draft for WRs is very iffy. You really don’t know what you will get at WR. Let’s make a deal.

14. By 36 year fan on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

J Co says it best.” We have a common goal, and that is to reach the Superbowl. We are going to take it one game at a time. “

15. By Ira on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Russ i am with you 100%. I am warning you guys who want Sanchez t bombs away watch out this week. Finnegan, Harper, Hope and Griffin combined for 18 INT’s last year and have openly complained about their secondary play calls. Fisher will fix it this week. Play ball control and let Schotty keep moving Sanchez along. Wonder if Fowler will play this week since he is familar with Tenn ? GO JETS!!!!

16. By 36 year fan on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Kerry Collins is not going to be able to handle this pressure. He panics, he makes bad decisions, and worst of all ; he starts playing scared.( after getting hit ) If I was fisher I would try to run, run, run. But our Jets are going to be ready for that.

17. By 36 year fan on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Also this just in………. Bellichek is still crying himself to sleep in his sleeveless hoodie. Very sad.

18. By 36 year fan on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

# 1 shut down their running game. #2 pressure on QB. …..Game Over.

19. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Russ and Ira, there’s no point throwing long just to prove a point or even to break a guy (like Clowney) in, especially when you’re winning. But you’re a little bit forgetting a key rule, which is that you take what their D is offering, not just game to game but series to series. If you can’t do that with both running AND passing, you end up like Monday’s Fish, using up clock and losing anyway.

20. By Anthony on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

This is a tough game it really will be . I realize that as Jet fan. We need to go to war with the Titans and beat them at there own game. Shut down there run game and tight coverage. Watch for Screen passes I think Johnson will be a big part of their game plan this weekend. Collins needs to get hit out the gate. And Joe B thats the best part we have good recievers ..element of surprise.

21. By jet80 on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Shep you know who Jeff Fisher is?and that their is secondary is very talented.Titans overlooked the texans after what we did to them and if we overlook the 0-2 record and go by “pass stats” well lose this game.Fisher will have his D turned around for the jets and will have his team pumped for W & revenge for last year.So i just hope our O generates more TD’s and more a threat downfield

22. By Ira on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

tom,
    The Fish lost Monday becuase their D was horrible. You give up 27 pts in 14 min. Come on now. I think it would be safe to say that if a team has the ball for 40 min plus the chances of losing are maybe 2-3 % at most. This weeks game is going to be like an AFC North head banging game. The team that controls both lines will probably win.

23. By jet80 on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

I do think the Titans game wil be low scoring and very hard hiiting but Sanchez will have to be ready to be in a shoot out against Drew and the boys.NE is not the same as last year but NO has returned in form.Rex has got this D nastier then its ever been but we got to be able to score TD’S fast if needed coming from behind.Not just count on Leon,Feely or the D to score.

24. By scjoe on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Jets Fan Since 64…I think it goes beyond just proving a point. I think you have to show the competition that you CAN get the ball downfield. Remember that being a problem with CP? The deep safety need to respect the deep pass to keep him from stacking the line, that is really a more important reason then proving a point. In my opinion anyway.

25. By Gary C on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

It is obvious we lack depth in the wide receiver category. Clowney might be this generations Lam Jones. All speed, questionable hands,and Brad Smith receives the ball behind the line of scrimmage more than past it.

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

Ira, the Fish will keep losing for many reasons but one of the biggest is Chad can’t get points on the board in less than ten minutes. When you’re up against explosive NFL O’s, ball control isn’t everything. I’m with scjoe, you gotta show you can shred coverage, outrun coverage, score in lots of ways. When it comes to O, I’m with the Eagles on “Life in the Fast Lane”: “Everything, all the time!”

27. By Row on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

The whole offense so far, and the whole game on Sunday relies on Schottenheimer. Rex has built a defense meant for a dynasty, we just need to find a way to run the ball. Good teams have sustained drives, and score points. That’s what you need for the playoffs. NE will fix their problems, we can’t peak at game 2. Must game plan well. It’s been a problem in the past for Schotty. Super happy with Rex

28. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

And Gary C, isn’t it a little early to compare Clown to Lam Jones or anyone else? Wouldn’t it be a better to actually wait until he’s played a few games in a row, maybe even had a few balls thrown to him? All I heard all summer was Cotch isn’t a #1 WR – now he’s avg. 17.7 and looks better than ever. But I’m with you on these weird plays with Smith that start 5 yards back and end up there or worse.

29. By Gary C on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

to jet fan since 64,I agree I might be jumping gun on Clowney but let’s see one route that goes over the middle.I said in preseason jets should have took a shot on Matt Jones. He was there for the taking.

30. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

Can’t argue with you there, Gary C. Catching passes in the pit where the brutal linebackers live is one of the big tests. Folks on this site seem to have split on Jones. I’m not against picking up anyone who isn’t a head case, but I don’t think anyone should be brought in as any kind of savior. I like how it looks with Cotch and Stuck so far and I’d like to see us gradually try out the other guys.

31. By Rick Roucoulet on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

JET80 has a point. Where’s Clowney? Remember all the talk how he is just a preseason guy & he needs to prove he can burn down the length of that field during the reg season? Im sure if im saying this & hoping, that each coach we play is planning for it @ some point also so its prob just a matter of time-What else would you expect from him if he only makes the line up here & there? NO SURPRISE

32. By Row on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

The biggest thing with Clowney is press coverage. We have to find a time when a defense is playing man and going to blitz when we throw him in there from the sideline. That’s why the coaches get paid the big bucks. Schottenheimer needs to be better. The disappointment in the running game is where we have a BIG problem. TJ and Leon had almost 30 carries vs NE and barely had 100 yards total. Go Jets

33. By Gary C on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

if the titans are bringing back the powder blues with the oil derrick helmet this weekend then hopefully they keep Blanda, Tolar, Hennigan and Groman behind.those guys killed the original titans.