• Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

Bart’s Philosophy: Hungry? Eat or Starve

Posted by Eric Allen on September 28, 2009 – 5:38 pm

The Jets’ special teams were the difference in the 24-17 victory over the Tennessee Titans and their contributions did not go unnoticed by linebacker Bart Scott this afternoon. The 28-year-old Scott might be an ascending star now, but he didn’t start an NFL game until his fourth NFL season.

“I knew if I didn’t get out of it before my fourth year, then I would be pretty much labeled as a special teams player for the rest of my career,” Scott said on the latest installment of “Barking with Bart.”

“I said, ‘You know what? When I go to camp, I’m just going to start knocking people out and either they’re going to cut me or they’re going to say, "You know what? Let’s play him." I’m going to take every day, every practice like a game and I’m going to wear people out, and I’m going to make people not want to practice against me.’ "

Eventually the Ravens gave the “Madbacker” a defensive package, and then his football career changed in Chicago on Oct. 23, 2005.

“My opportunity came in the way of Ray Lewis pulling his hamstring Game 6 against Thomas Jones and the Chicago Bears," he said. "My first start was against the Pittsburgh Steelers and all I did in 10 games was put up 120 tackles and five sacks. I was hungry, and when you’re hungry, you either eat or starve.”

And in his 52nd pro game, Scott made his first start count with nine tackles, including six solo stops. He became a fixture in the Ravens’ lineup until he left for the Jets in February. His message to young players, like the Jamaal Westermans of the world, is to continue to grind while maintaining a positive attitude.

“Keep plugging away because at some point football always gives you one chance,” he said. “And if you’re too busy complaining or upset where you are when that opportunity comes, you can’t take advantage of it.”

After starting three years at Southern Illinois, Scott’s name wasn’t called during the 2002 draft and the Ravens signed him on April 25 that year.

“I like to say that I was drafted on Monday. The draft was on Saturday and Sunday, and I was an 18th-round draft pick unofficially of the Baltimore Ravens,” he said. “But I don’t know if I was drafted that I would be standing here. It created a hunger in me and I always play with a little chip on my shoulder.”

We’ve seen that “little chip” early and often as the Jets have started the season 3-0 for just the fourth time in franchise history. Scott’s a bona fide tone setter, a player who makes his presence known to his opponent early.

On the second play of the season, he flattened Texas QB Matt Schaub. Then last weekend he put Tom Brady on his back to end a drive and let the future Hall of Famer know he was in for a long day. And Sunday he stuffed Chris Johnson for a 2-yard loss as Tennessee got off to an ominous offensive start.

In a smashmouth affair against the Titans, Scott was at his best as he paced the “D” with nine tackles (five solos), one stop behind the line and one QB hit. Scott, who’s totaled four tackles for loss and seven QB hits in September, is becoming a headliner in New York.

“There were a lot of shadows over there [in Baltimore] overshadowing me, who already had their name. If you don’t come in as a drafted player, you don’t get the spotlight where people know,” he said. “A lot of people doubted why the Jets brought me here, but Rex Ryan knew what I had done and knew what my role was and knew that I could expand my role if asked to. I played my role as pretty much a fullback for Ray Lewis and picked up blockers for him so he could be successful.”

A key Jets cog, Scott is a passionate soul. Football is a violent game and he lives for the collision. The Jets’ next test is in New Orleans as they’ll face a 3-0 Saints team led by Drew Brees that’s averaging 40 points a game.

“He knows his offense inside and out. He’s able to read coverages on a dime,” said Scott. “And even though he’s short [6’0”], you don’t see a lot of his balls being batted down because he knows hot to move inside the pocket and buy time with his feet. He’s pretty much like Sanchez, but he has a stronger arm, I believe. It’s going to be a tremendous challenge and he’s poised — been there, done that.”

Programming Reminders

“Barking with Bart,” which airs weekly on Jets TV, will be available to fans on most Tuesdays throughout the regular season and the program will also always be available from our archive.

The Jets have set up an email address — scottcharity@newyorkjets.com — for people to submit their charitable causes and Bart selected his first weekly winner in this week’s episode.

All charitable requests must include the following information: 501(c)3 Tax ID Number, a sampling of programs, and what one would do with a small grant from Bart Scott.

Encouraging fan barks as well, the Jets have an email address — bscott@newyorkjets.com — so fans can write in to No. 57 and selected comments and questions will be read on-air.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 32 Comments »

32 Responses to “Bart’s Philosophy: Hungry? Eat or Starve”

1. By Christopher on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

Nice Article!! I really like Scott, he brings a different level of play to this defense. New Orleans may be tough to defend against, but I do not expect a letdown. We could use a little extra depth on the front line; barring injury though, this defense is built to win a championship. Its hard to say who the Jets MVP is yet, could be Sanchez, Jenkins, Revis, Scott, no RB’s though, maybe this week.

2. By Christopher on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

Just heard the news about Pennington. That guy gave everything he had, and then some every week. This would be a horrible way for it to end, but unfotunately the guy’s body just did not hold up. He had every other tool you could ask for in a QB, smart, works hard, good leader, heart, class, etc… If only that arm would have held up, he would of had his championship already. I wish him luck.

3. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

I’LL take this win every time Sts pulled this game out & that late Int at that point Offence or Defence weren’t playing well enough to win ..Titans were driving at 21 -17 having they’re with us after the late Int we finally picked it up defensively.. Lets be honest the offence was horrible O-line stunk it up so did T-J .Hello V-G gave up the TD to White did you guys watch the game unreal

4. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

CONT. & while I’m being honest if we play the Saints the way we played the Titans were 3-1 .Don’t get me wrong I rather lose to the Saints then the Titans for obvious reasons we are #1 seed as of now in the AFC Conference .. Shotty needs to be more creative every week when hes on there are few better offencive minds in the league I believe ..We need to stop throwing on 3Th & short run the ball

5. By Tom from Bricktown on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

please, enough with the Titans uniforms. The novelty is over. Try the original Kelly
    green. nice job with the crowd noise. Rex, go into new orleans and blitz the hell out of them. Collins looked comfortable back in the pocket with no blitz in the 2nd and 3rd quarters

6. By Harv on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

I like the way the team has been bennplayin with heart!! I’d like to see E .Smith get some more plays. I think he does some good thing out . YA Heard!!

7. By ''let's keep it real'' on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

any one else concerned about the terrible running game the jets are displaying through the first three contests!?!? the play calling is very curious and the running stinks! the last good running of the ball was by Woodhead in the final preseason game…. fumbled kicks were the only thing that saved the win over the titans.. lets keep it real , we are’nt coming up all roses…

8. By Jimmer on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Scott plays demonic football. Give the guy one strike though. The TN FB who was talking junk about him last week got the best of him. Instead of tackling the guy with the ball, he decided to NUKE the FB instead. It truly was a beautiful site. But the HB was the one with the ball. Don’t talk trash about a NYJ seems to be the message. I agree.

9. By 36 year fan on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Drew Brees is Dangerous. We have got to bring more pressure this week at this QB. If you think it’s going to be like facing Collins think again. This guy is our biggest challenge yet . By Far. He’s resourcefull. He’s fast and good. Get ready Revis. I would Jam recievers on the line try and break up their timing.

10. By Ira on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Good teams win games that aren’t that pretty and thats what the Jets did vs Tenn. Once again the D came up big when they had to and ST was the difference. Scott brings to the field what Rex wants. Best signing in years. Good example set by Rex with Clowney. Now expect him to make some plays on a fast indoor track this week. Clearly Rex doesn’t trust Greene with his blocking right now.

11. By Ira on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

I don’t know if anybody brought this up but with about 11 min left VG made a TD saving tackle after Kerry slowed down CJ. If VG doesn’t make that tackle from behind CJ takes it to the house for a tying TD. Last time NYC had a star p from SI it was Clyde and he took them to 2 championships. Maybe Bart can do the same. GO JETS!!!!

12. By Frank on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

We need Sheppard and Strickland for this game or it will be a long day. Lowery will get toasted this week. Second the lack of pass rush is alarming we need to get a lot more pressure or Brees will have a big day. Last the run game had better show up if we do not win the time of possession game this week we won’t win. There will be no room for error and Sanchez will need to protect the ball better.

13. By Anthony on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

I think Scott was a tremendous Pick up. i like his attitude. He don’t take no **** and he will punch you in the mouth if you get in his way. Besides Brees needs pressure but we have to be aware with him of the Recievers he has a good supporting cast for New Orleans Pay attention to Shockey. I think they are going to use him and often. Can’t wait for Pace’s return. J-E-T-S….

14. By Tom Spicer on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

I was watching NFL network they showed the Sanchez TD run it was from a different angle & I saw that he put his head down & tried to run over the DB. You have to love that heart & desire!

15. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet, I like your honesty and Ira, I like your perspective. As someone who said I’d take 6-10 with MS over 12-4 with Favre, I’m very happy with the team so far. I don’t want to get lost in SB dreams or old tapes about “the same old Jets,” as this is a totally new team with a new spirit, attitude, and style of play on O and D. But we’re a lot closer to an SB now than we’ve been in decades.

16. By scjoe on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Frank…I agree with a few of your points,however, I don’t see the speed on the outside to consistently beat Lowery. Except for his lack of speed, I think Lowery is a pretty good cover guy. No, he can’t stay with the Johnson’s and Moss’s of the league, but in this game I think he holds his own if need be. Still would love to see Shepard back though.

17. By scjoe on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Lets keep it real…I think a lot of us out there are “concerned” with the running game. I hear comments about TJ, I hear them about the O Line. Personally I can’t put my finger where the problem is. IF there is a problem. Let’s not forget that we played three pretty good run defenses in the last three weeks. I don’t think NO has quite as good a run D as the others. So, let’s see what happens.

18. By Kevon Scott on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

This Is A Scott 2 Scott Moment ~ Certainly If One Is Hungry Enough ~ They Will Fight” Harder” ~ Fight Stronger”~ Fight Smarter” ~ These Will Be The Keys To Victory” and Can Feed Your Empty Trophy Case !!
    Be Tougher” ~ Be Wiser” and ~ Protect The Ball ~~

19. By Ira on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Frank,
    Lowery played well this past week and Drew did also. Sure they need Strickland and Sheppard but i am not going to say they are in for a long day. This will be a good test and lets see what Rex dials up. Its a no brainer run the ball and control the clock and keep Brees off the field. 06 Brees went 24-45- 3 TD’s and 3 INT’s in a loss @home vs Rex and Balt 35-22. GO JETS!!!!

20. By BriGuyinFL on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

@Jimmer: totally agree about Bart Scott.I saw him nuke an offensive guard on the 2nd or 3rd play of the pats game.He lauched him 5 feet in the air with a force of violence I cannot ever recall seeing on someone that did not have the football.I wish I kept the recorded game so that I would have seen Bart blow up the FB.I missed that hit.Its usually the little guys that go in with reckless abandon

21. By BriGuyinFL on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

@ Ira: I expect more from your posts….That score saving tackle that VG made how ever many yards down field was because he was on the proverbial “roller skates” getting blown off the point of attack : ( If he would have held his ground or “gasp” shed a block he could have stuffed that run. Bart Scott needs to bring the fight out in that guy.

22. By Frankie on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

BART SCOTT IS A BEAST!!!! LETS BANG BREES UP!!! NOBODY SHOULD WANT TO PLAY THE JETS!!! J-E-T-S

23. By ddh on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

the biggest threat is the N.O. pass attack, tie shockey up at the line, if the secondary can get the pass rush a couple extra seconds it could make all the diff., bush is a threat if he turns the corner, however the key is to disrupt the passing game. Shotty needs to be less predictable, and spread their D out, I hope to see Clowny, even if you dont throw to him they have to respect his speed

24. By 36 YEAR FAN on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

We are really going to have to Amp it up this week against The Saints. This is going to be a true test. A total TEAM effort is going to be required. Because that’s the way they have been doing it. But so have WE.

25. By russ on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

This is the week you rest Jenkins ..a non conference game followed by Miami and Buffalo…which arre more important wins for Jets. A well rested Jenkins and return of Calvin Pace and Jets will be ready for the big Dec push..for home field!!

26. By becauseBLINKAremembers on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Russ,
    Blinka remembers someone saying: “you play to win the game”
    As I been saying for the past four years. Would like to see a better pash rush from the defensive line. Sooner or later there going to burn the blitz.
    Ryan is great. He fires them up just like Coach Michaels.

27. By Row on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Schotty is really our key to running the ball. We always go for a dive on first, throw on second, and throw on third. (even if we only need 2 yards) We have to run for first downs, sustain drives, and not make rookie mistakes. I think most of our offensive problems lie in the make-up of the play itself. We roll the FB away from the lead hole and make TJ & Leon run out of single back. Callahan any1

28. By peterj55 on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

BLINKA UNTIL SOMEONE BURN US ON THE BLITZ WE SHOULD KEEP IT UP..20 TO 30 PLAYS A GAME..DON’T LET QB SIT BACK AND COMFORTABLE KEEP THEM ON THE RUN…

29. By Alex k on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Did anyone else see on the second fumble by the titans kick returner the great play by Brad Smith. After he hit Mount? he grabbed him and held him until someone picked up the fumble because he knew that Mount was closer to the ball then he was and there was no way that he (Smith) would get to the ball before Mount. Just another great play by this team.

30. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

BriGuyinFL.Glad some1 else is bold enough to say what I’ve been saying since last year about V-G..Funny the V-G loyalist aren’t talking about the play he got stood up on the 5yard line had a hold of Whites Jersey white just ran through him like paper for the TD.. Same bloggers who say Lowery is a good cover man Hes the only DB to get burned for a Td again like I say every week .Reality is Truth

31. By Row on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

Ya Mc, Lowery got burned, but what are we gonna do, put Drew Coleman on him? You gotta pick your battles. Schotty was praised last year for his scoring totals, but we scored nothing the last 6 games. Something that can improve is the offense. We have the players, just need the coaching. We are already seeing what coaching has done to the defense. I look to see a revamped O on Sunday. Go Jets

32. By king on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

FIRST OF ALL THANK YOU BUDDY FOR YOU SON,FATHER LIKE SON,THIS D TAKES ME BACK TO THE DAYS OF THE SACK EXCHANGE,CAN’T WAIT TO WATCH THIS D.OFFENSE WILL GRADUALLY GET BETTER…BUT MOST IMPORTANT IT LOOKS LIKE WE WILL HAVE A GREAT TEAM FOR YEARS TO COME… [LETS GO JETS]