• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Fly in the Ointment? J-Co Sits Out Practice

Posted by Randy Lange on October 9, 2009 – 4:14 pm

The Jets could be "hamstrung" in their plans for integrating WR Braylon Edwards into their offense in time for Monday night at Miami.

Then again, maybe not.

It has to do with WR Jerricho Cotchery’s hamstring. Who knew that J-Co’s thigh was bothering him until he was listed on Thursday’s first injury report of the week leading up to MNF as limited in practice.

Today, head coach Rex Ryan said Cotchery did not participate in practice. He thinks he’ll have his top two wide receivers available for the Dolphins. But he’s not sure.

"Jerricho was out there in sweats but did not participate today," Ryan said at today’s news conference. "That hamstring is still bothering him some, so we’ll see. We’re definitely not ruling him out, but he’s not 100 percent right now."

So does that mean, Coach, that Cotchery could be a scratch for this game?

"That’s a possibility," Ryan said. "I’m expecting him to play, but that’s a definite possibility."

Needless to say, the situation is not as dire right now as it would be if the Jets were playing Sunday. He’s got an extra day plus to get his hammy ready for Miami. On the other hand, a hamstring tweak for your No. 1 wide receiver isn’t something to be taken lightly. We’ll know a little more Saturday afternoon, when the Jets will file their final injury report before the game around 4 p.m. ET.

Besides Cotchery, CB Donald Strickland (ankle) didn’t participate in practice today. S Kerry Rhodes (knee), CB Lito Sheppard (quad) and T Damien Woody (foot) were limited. So was WR David Clowney, who was excused for personal reasons but returned to get in some limited work toward the end of the session. Everyone else practiced full.

Two more one-liners on his "new" players. On LB Calvin Pace: "The Gazelle is back. He’s running all over the place, embarrassing his teammates like he always does, so that’s a good sign."

And on if Edwards looked more comfortable: "Let’s just ask his teammates what they thought of today’s practice from him." Then, trying to bait the Dolphins: "He’s probably going to struggle his first week. I’d just put one guy on him, that’s all I’d do. That’s me." But bottom line: "Like I said, when he’s covered, he’s open. So we’ll see."

Braylon’s Night Moves

Edwards was asked about his propensity to go off in prime time. He implied it’s no big deal, but it may be true.

"Every time you go out there, there are bright lights. We’re in the NFL, which is the No. 1 sport in America, the No. 1 televised sport," he said, then continued:

"The thing with me is I wake up. I’m a night owl. When I come in in the morning, I’m wiping sleep out of my eyes, just waking up by the time we go on the practice field. When you play Monday night games, they start at 8:30 p.m. and I’m wide awake. This is when I live, so that is the biggest thing with those. I’ve just been wide awake."

The stats suggest prime time, like Red Bull, gives him wings. Here are Edwards’ receiving lines from his seven prime time games with the Browns, five of them coming last season (home team in CAPS):

Year-Gm Night Final Score Recs-Yds-Avg-Lg-TD
 2005-10 Sunday STEELERS 34, Browns 21 2-64-32.0-37-0
 2006-14 Thursday STEELERS 27, Browns 7 4-86-21.5-45t-1
 2008-2 Sunday Steelers 10, BROWNS 6 3-32-10.7-13-0
 2008-6 Monday BROWNS 35, Giants 14 5-154-30.8-70-1
 2008-10 Thursday Broncos 34, BROWNS 30 1-15-15.0-15-0
 2008-11 Monday Browns 29, BILLS 27 8-104-13.0-23-0
 2008-15 Monday EAGLES 30, Browns 10 5-102-20.4-28-0
 Totals Mondays 3 Games 18-360-20.0-70-1
 Totals All PT 7 Games 28-557-19.9-70-2

Tags: , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Fly in the Ointment? J-Co Sits Out Practice”

1. By Ira on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Hope J-Co will be fine for MNF. They really need him especially this week since Edwards is just getting use to his new teamates. But like Randy’s #’s show he is a prime time player. I still think the Jets running game will be big this week. Jets 23- Fish 13 GO JETS!!!!!

2. By jet80 on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Pace is comin back fresh,angry,pumped and looking do release havoc! Best LB core in the NFL. if I was the phins players Id be callin in sick

3. By clifford on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Not sure bout this. Read an article on espn that said Cotch was 90% likely to play and Lito was going to play. Strickland will likely be out. But we get Pace and Lito back on Defense. That should help with sacks as Gholston was getting nothing done. I’d like to see less of Ellis because honestly we got more pressure without him. He’s old and just doesn’t have the same explosiveness.

4. By scjoe on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Hope JC can go, but if not, “enter the clown” Nobody can tell me this guy will embarrass himself out there, I don’t care what anyone says about a one trick pony, that one trick can be huge. He will be singled, but no one in the Dolphins secondary can cover him one on one. Advantage, Jets! Jets-20 Dolphins-9

5. By beaner on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

The Edwards signing is brilliant. This organization is now taking the right approach. Go after the talent. And with Rex’s positive approach and defensive aggressiveness, success is coming so top free agents will want to play here. It’s become fun again being a Jet fan!

6. By Brian on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

I felt like a WR opposite of Cotchery was one thing the Jets needed to be a complete team. Solid 4 quarter defense. Great O-line. Great RB’s (including Greene). QB that has shown flashes of his potential. One of the best Special Teams units in the game. Coaches who bring a confidence and swagger to the team. I’m excited about the possibilities!! Solid football team!! Go Jets!!

7. By Joe on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

i expect them to win these next 4 games regardless of whos on the injured list. and i also dont expect these next 4 teams to score TDs on this defense. jets 28 dolphins 6. they dont have pennington and the jets will stop the run

8. By MIKE on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Talk about underated players in this league. J-Co might be in the top 5 right next to David Harris. J-Co is the prototypical posession reciever that QB’s need. Plus he’blocks like Hines Ward and keeps his mouth shut. If the guy could run a 4.3 than we would put him next to Fitzgareld and either Johnson’s. I hope #89 is a Jet for a long time.

9. By jetfan74 on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Love the fact that BE is a PT player, because the better this team gets the more we will see them on PT! You see I already have him penciled in for the next 6 yrs. If the fins play safety help over the top(because their corners can’t cover), then Keller is going to be wide open in the middle all night long!! Call me nuts, but I think BE goes off for 100 yards and a td. T-REX dubbed geniuses!!!!!!

10. By #1dolphinsfan on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

christmas is coming early friends because the mighty dolphins are gonna put the whoopin on the jets twice GOFINS!!!

11. By 36 year fan on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Oh my God. This article is basically , horrifying. We have got to win in Miami. Try Accupuncture, or whatever it takes.

12. By nyjetsforreal on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

The importance of J-Co playing is huge. If he starts, they will bring double coverage on him because he is the established receiver on our team which will allow Edwards to be an impact. And a good game for Edwards will be huge for the rest of the season.

13. By Carlito7 on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

Damn you Football Gods……DAMN YOU!

14. By Vaughn on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

OUCH. I was so bummed to hear this, especially going up against one of the top ranked rush defenses in the league this year. As bad as this sounds, this may not necessarily be bad for the offense. I feel that it’s necessary to get Leon and D.Keller involved more with the screens and passing game. The absence of Cotchery may actually force this to happen.

15. By larrybiv on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

Diversification is what the Jets are trying to achieve. Having a diversified offense makes the defenses of the league have migraines, because they have to think too much. Thinking too much makes you slower. Our running game will be a factor,controlling the ball. Unlike others,I wouldn’t be surprised if we blow them off the field, New Orleans left a sour taste in our mouths, payback time Sanchize.

16. By OriginalJetFan on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

Hope J-Co plays, but if not, the answer is from Sondheim, “Bring in the Clown”,Shonn with his feet on the ground, and the Clown in the AIR”

17. By 36 year fan on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

Why dont we try going 5 wide sometimes? That would definately spread the defense. More targets= more success. Even on a blitz someone is going to be open. See old footage of Warren Moon, and spread offense. Dont be scared to diversify.

18. By Randy Lange on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

Isn’t it rich?

19. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

I want J-Co to play every minute of every game but I think Vaughn and larrybiv have good points. We have to start mixing up plays and players better and I don’t mean wildcat foolishness, I mean sending out more WRs and better O line movement on runs. We shouldn’t be freaked about Greene fumbling or Clowney dropping a TD or even MS throwing a pick 6, we should be finding out what these guys can do!

20. By Ed in Tucson on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

larrybiv, I’m in total agreement with you on diversification of the O. I called for a 41-17 Jets’ win in my family game calling competition. But that was before I heard about J-Co. I’ll say 27-17 without J-Co. Look for B Smith to play a significant role, specially if J-Co’s out. Go Jets!

21. By commentman on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

Cotchery probably isnt even injured theyre probably just trying to be safe ever since the brett favre thing

22. By Serge on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

I had a dream and I don’t usually dream. This is going to be a high scoring game, the fins are going to score about 27 pts on the jets, but the jets are going to score about 52 pts on the fins. Hope my dream comes through

23. By Gregg from CA on Oct 11, 2009 | Reply

Randy: Aren’t you a pair?