• Wed., Aug. 20, 2014 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 20, 2014 2:25 PM - 2:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following Training Camp practice.
  • Thu., Aug. 21, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., Aug. 24, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 25, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Jones’ Big Day Lands Him on FedEx Ballot

Posted by Eric Allen on October 20, 2009 – 3:11 pm

The tape doesn’t lie and despite a gut-wrenching OT loss, Thomas Jones and the rest of the Jets offense ran wild Sunday against the Bills.

“There were some great things in that game when you watch that tape: 318 rushing yards, a franchise record by Thomas [with 210 rushing yards], averaged 9½ yards a carry,” said Jets head coach Rex Ryan. “Those were some unbelievable statistics.”

After his historic individual performance, Jones vaulted all the way to fifth in the NFL in rushing and he was also nominated for the league’s FedEx Ground Player of the Week. You can vote here for the award through Friday at noon ET.

Not known for his long runs, Jones’ 64-yard jaunt in the second quarter was a personal best and tied for the seventh-longest run in Jets history. But then T.J. outdid himself on his next carry, taking a handoff from Mark Sanchez and sprinting 71 yards to the house. That was the second-longest TD run and the fifth-longest ground gain in franchise annals.

"You could have a 64-yard run one play and have a 2-yard loss the next play. I just take it one play at a time," T.J. said. "We were winning at the time, but we still weren’t playing as well as we could. We were making mistakes and turning the ball over, so we didn’t really put ourselves in a position to take advantage of some of the good plays that we had.”

Leon Washington also pitched in with 99 yards as the Green & White got strong blocking up front from their talented offensive line. Entering Week 7, the Jets are second in the NFL in rushing (163 yards per game) — it’s only the sixth week since 1995 that they’ve ranked that high this late in a season.

“We are running the ball as effectively as has been run in this league for I don’t know how long. For what, 318 yards rushing, average 8 yards per carry? There’s that running game we are talking about,” Ryan said. “The fact that when we added Braylon Edwards, how that coverage was going to change, I think we saw it. We saw that the running game would improve when we got less people down there.”

While the Green &White’s run game is on solid ground, the aerial attack has encountered some turbulence. Rookie QB Mark Sanchez, who was intercepted five times against the Bills, is tied for the NFL high with 10 picks and his 56.7 passer rating ranks 34th in football. New York’s AFC representative is ranked just 30th in pass offense (155.7 yards per game) and Sanchez and company — minus Jerricho Cotchery and Brad Smith — struggled throwing the ball against the Bills.

As they look to right the ship out in Oakland, the Jets appear to have a favorable matchup with their rush offense vs. the Raiders’ 28th-ranked rush defense. Just two weeks ago, the Giants ran for 220 yards against the Raiders, but the Oakland run defense wasn’t tested that much in the 13-9 victory over the Eagles because Philly rushed just 14 times and while Donovan McNabb threw 46 passes. McNabb was sacked six times and Da Raiders were able to pull off a huge upset in the Black Hole.

On a three-game skid, the Jets will turn to Jones, Washington and the line to get the club jump-started. After going 0-for-4 on the West Coast in 2008, including a 16-13 OT defeat in Oakland, the Jets would like to move back over .500 and regain that winning feeling.

“They beat us out there last year, so they have some momentum going into this game, but we have a lot of veterans on this team,” said Jones. “We have a lot of guys that have won a lot of football games and have been in this kind of situation in the past. We have some great character, so I think it won’t be an issue for us to bounce back and get ready to go in practice.”

The first practice of the week comes Wednesday.

Izzo Recovers Again

When Larry Izzo fell on the punt that glanced off of Josh Reed’s leg in the second quarter Sunday, he achieved something that only two other Jets have done in the past 20 seasons. He recovered his second special teams fumble in one season.

Izzo, who also, you’ll recall, pounced on Ryan Mouton’s fumbled punt in Game 3 vs. Tennessee, joins James Thornton in 1994 and Chris Burkett in 1991 as Jets with two or more ST fumble recoveries. Burkett, in fact, recovered four kick fumbles that year.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 40 Comments »

40 Responses to “Jones’ Big Day Lands Him on FedEx Ballot”

1. By Tom Spicer on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

I have been on vacation so I have not been around (which is a good thing with everything that has happened) but I will say this WE ARE IN BIG TROUBLE. With Jenkins out for the year our D is done you can not run a 3-4 without a stud NT. I think we should go to a 4-3 Harris at MLB, Scott at WLB, Pace at SLB, DE’S are Gholston & Thomas & the DT’S are Ellis & Pouha. If we stay the way we r we are done

2. By scjoe on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Congrats to TJ. He already got my vote. Now, point of parliamentary procedure. There are to many posts on this website slamming one another simply because they do not share the same opinions, whether it be starting Mark, bringing up Woodhead, the play calling etc. Referring to just the Jet fans who post, we all have one thing in common, and that is getting wins. So, some of you need to lighten up.

3. By scjoe on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Randy, I have not heard officially whether Howard Green was resigned to the roster. My question is, do you know if the Jets had any contact with Terdel Sands who was released by NE a week or so ago? He is a big, big, man and would probably be a nice fit.

4. By Rick Roucoulet on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Im sorry, the day after the loss i posted (AINGE AINGE AINGE) I had some time to think & that comment was a knee jerk reaction. Of course you gotta keep Sanchez in. (Rome wasnt built in a season) or was thaaaaat, oh nevermind you get it. As much as this season feels very personal, im here to support this JETS team till the end. Some may say its already here but im NOT going down w/out a fight.

5. By Rick Roucoulet on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

& im sure some will say (What do YOU mean YOUR not going down w/out a fight? YOUR not on the team) Well ive put in many many years of going to the games,watching them on TV, buying the clothing for myself & my sons, wearing that JETS logo like a flag & taking it so damn personal when theres a loss, so I say: I am part of this team… Go JETS

6. By Ira on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Congrats to TJ and Leon. They both played great games. TJ had a big game @ Oak last year with 159 yds. Hope it continues but with a win. The Jets are 5-12-1 @ Oak. But they are 3-0 @ Oak as the Titans. White Titan uniforms for this week. Maybe thats a good thing. GO JETS!!!!!

7. By scjoe on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Tom Spicer.. I would go with something similar. Ellis and Pace at DE. Pouha and Green at DT. Harris MLB. Scott/Westerman Thomas/Gholston combo’s at OLB. Only problem? The 3-4 is Rex’s expertise.

8. By Eric Allen on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

scjoe, we announced a short time ago that Howard Green has been re-signed. We also added DT Antonio Garay to the practice squad.

9. By Jeremy on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

scjoe–you make a valid point. Only thing to add is that we all, more than likely, have the same look on our face that Sanchez had sitting on the bench after throwing 5 pics and costing this team the last 3 games–utter and complete disappointment. I doubt we were about to cry as it looked like Sanchez was, but my point is our expectations need to be toned down a lot!! He’s a rookie w/ 1 yr @ USC!

10. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Spicer, love your thinking, we’ll see how good a D coach Rex is faced with having to change plans. scjoe, I’m big on good will but the problem is it very quickly comes down to, “What do you mean by wins?,” I said it before the season and I’ll say it again, I’ll take even 6-10 with MS this year if I see us building the core of a great team. Not up for MS and EA starring on other teams in 3 years.

11. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

So Row doesn’t go crazy on me, Spicer, yes, he had similar ideas on a new D scheme. I think he got a little carried away with talk of having the best D in the league, seems to me that kind of thinking (like 3-0 meant we were SB-bound) got us in trouble in the first place. I like seeing Rex proven right on BE opening up the run. I said a guy like BE would be available before mid-season and he was.

12. By Row on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

I’d take TJ at 31 over AP all day. This guy is the backbone of our team, his success will continue. I hope Brian looks at the film, because that is exactly how you run the football. T Rich slamming heads, 84 blocking at TE. You can’t give someone the QB job, he has to earn it. Make Sanchez earn it this weekend! Start Clemens just b/c of his poor play. Send a message. Rex, get after it. Go Jets

13. By Dino on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

It;s nice that Thomas Jones had such a big day but it is really hard to be that excited about it when they lost the last 3 games, two of which were divisional. It;s like after the big disapointing year last year, to be so excited that Jones led the league in rushing. This team has issues they seriously need to address. Why didn’t they stick with the run instead of allowing 6 picks!!

14. By BobbyD on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Glad to see CanJet and JetsFanSince’64Tom have the same mindset. TJ is finally getting some praise…..glad to see since everyone was calling for his head too. Like scjoe said, we need to focus on wins. And that goes for Schein and the rest too. Lets not play up to the fans who change “in a New York minute.” Lets focus on the future. Lets Rexecute!!!!!!

15. By jet80 on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Scjoe,I think that was the best comment Ive seen on here in long time & couldnt agree more.Surprised Randy didnt beat you to it with something of the same sort.That bein said I hope I dont get slammed for agreeing with Frank that MS pocket presence, mechanics & weak arm are killing him out there.Now 2 of those are rookie problems that will be corrected but you cant coach or fix that pennington arm

16. By carl on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Congrats TJ you desevre it, what a day!!!!Mark for you to have sucess in NY you must be able to do a couple of things. First ,you must be able to throw the ball in the Meadowlands in cold, windy, miserable weather. With a defense that we have, manage the game. Get the clock working in your head,don’t be afraid to throw the ball away! The last thing you want to do is read the papers! Go JETS!o

17. By L.V. on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Congrats to Thomas Jones.I just hate after that effort,the JETS lost but it happens.I think alot of us(fans)are expecting too much from Sanchez this season.He’s going from California to New York.That’s a huge difference.Give him some time to get use to the Meadowland winds (may take a year or 2)and he’ll be fine.

18. By Luis from Olathe KS on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Congratulations Jones!!!!! It was a wonderful performance, keep it up we need the running game. Congratulations Washington for another superb performance!!!!!!

19. By Ray on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Good to know your ok Spicer, I thought maybe you were in a coma after watching your boys performance! Now where is Drew and MikeMc? Though I said the same thing to someone else, I don’t see Rex going to a 4-3, at least not full time. This could get ugly.

20. By uncle joe on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Hey Rick Roucoulet,I like your thinking my good man.You better believe we are part of this,without us there is NO NFL.

21. By Ira on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

While all the focus has been on sanchez’s poor play vs the Bills. Something esle really needs to be fixed and quick. Since 01 the Jets have always been in the top 10 with the least amount of penalties. Right now they’re ranked at #27th. This was just as big a problem as anything else this past week. The Jets will get back on track this week.

22. By uncle joe on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

So the Guy down the block comes to me yesterday & says”I noticed you & Lou-Bills fan across the street-go at it pretty good,you guys make alot of noise,& 1st I think he’s gonna ask me to keep it down a bit,BUT NO,he tells me he has a 70lb Bell with a 10lb Gong for me & that when I hit the Bell the whole neighborhood will know the Jets just scored! So if you hear a Bell Gong in SI Sunday,It’s Me!!!

23. By Ira on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Row, Sanchez will be a better player because of what he went through vs the Bills. It happens to the best of them. TJ and Leon again this week will run all over the Raiders and the D will step up without KJ and get the job done this week. GO JETS!!!!

24. By Tom Spicer on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Why is everyone so down on Sanchez he is a rookie playing the hardest spot in the game & he left college a year early. He is a kid he is barley old enough to have a beer & he has to be the leader of this team & he needs to know what he has to do & he also has to know what 10 other guys have to do at all times. Gholston plays D which is easy run & hit & nobody says anything about him I dont get it.

25. By Frank on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

After TJ’s first run I was thinking too bad he didn’t have breakaway speed because he should have gone the distance. He must have been thinking the same thing because on that second run you could see him turn on the afterburners he was determined to get to the endzone. What was even more impressive was the shot of him on the sideline after the run he was barely winded Woody should give him a raise

26. By Frank on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

The coaching staff had better re adjust their thinking with Sanchez. He is leading the league in turnovers and is at the very bottom of the QB rankings with J Russell you don’t win football games that way. Last year was the exception not the rule with the success of Flacco and Ryan. It has been proven over and over again that sitting is better than imploding. If he is playing poorly pull him…

27. By Frank on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

That doesn’t mean he loses his starting job it means you need to win the game thats what its all about. There are 45 guys busting their butts to win and you don’t force the issue with Sanchez at their expense. We already saw what Clemens has I say lets see what Ainge has in relief you never know he may end up being the franchise he certainly has better tools and physical presence than Sanchez.

28. By Ira on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Enough of this Sanchez talk already. Whatever way it works out it will be for the best. What about as a team getting into the redzone vs the Bills and coming away with 6 Pts. I actually thought on 4th and 2 @ the Bills 19 they should’ve gone for it. At that point the Bills weren’t moving the ball the score was 3-3 and you are at home. Oh well its in the past. Beat the sticken Raiders!

29. By JETS G42 on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

3-3 is not the time to hit the panic button there is alot of good teams with similiar records. but they have to take the burden off of Mark and let T.J and L.W do there jobs these guys can carry the load. play M.S smart let him hit D.K and B.E inside 20- yds and let them make plays. the deep ball is to early for hm in my opinion. we can get out of this FUNK with a nice win in Oakland. GO JETS

30. By scjoe on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Hey guys, I can feel the love in the room today, it feels much better (:-) Tom Spicer…I don’t think people are down on MS, as much as they are down on losing. And it is so easy to put it all on the QB. I think everyone got just a little spoiled last year with what Ryan and Flacco had done and maybe were expecting a little to much because of that. Right now, I am more concerned with the D.

31. By scjoe on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Thanks Randy, I saw your post about Green after I asked about Sands. But I still think Sands would have been a good signing, unless there is something about him that we don’t know. The guy is 6’7” 335 and has experience in the 3-4 with Oak and NE. Garay is 303, a little undersized for a 3-4 NT.

32. By Tom Spicer on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Ray I tried to kill myself it didnt work lol. Anyway I was in Vegas & had a great time it is a good thing I was not home 1 I would have taken it out on my wife 2 I would be going crazy right now if I did not have such a good time.

33. By Jeremy on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Rex plays 4 down lineman when it’s necessary-we would expect that to happen more often now w/o Jenks but think back to the end of last year-Pouha played really well w/4 up front. My major concern is the lack of sacks and turnovers. This team is tied for dead last w/ 5 sacks & that has to be addressed immediately. That’s seriously pathetic! Tied for 10th w/ 5 INT’s & Tied for 19th w/ 5 recovered FF

34. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

sc joe, I think you’re right, it’s too easy to blame it on the QB no matter how bad he plays in a game or two. We got problems that have nothing to do with the QB, like injuries, penalties, and an OC with some weird ideas. Rick, I love EA too but I’ll wait a year or so before seriously considering him to start instead of MS. I’ll bet the real MS is a lot closer to what we saw in the first 3 games.

35. By HELLS KITCHEN GREEN AND WHITE on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

are we wearing the white titan jersey on sunday?

36. By Eric Allen on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Yes, Hells Kitchen, it’s the new white Titans jerseys for the Raiders and then the following week at home for the Dolphins.

37. By Oscar on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Like L.V. said… It might take a year or two to get Sanchez use to the Meadowlands. Look at Eli Manning, if anyone can remember he was struggling his first few years with the Giants, now look at him TOP QB. Randy, can you come up with some early years of Eli?

38. By Bottom Line on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

It’s a business…too many of you excuse makers don’t realize that 5-10 year veterans are cut every year…don’t let the door hit you in the butt. Mark is in a leadership position…when he don’t lead, he’ll get slammed every time! That’s why he gets the fat paycheck. Now earn it!
    With regards to : Matt Leinart, Art Schlichter, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, and Rex Grossman.

39. By Eric Allen on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Oscar, for all games, from the first game of his career in 2004 through the end of the 2007 regular season, Eli Manning had a 30-27 record and a 72.9 passer rating. From the 2007 postseason to today, he is 21-6 with an 89.5 rating.

40. By Oscar on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Thanks Randy! As all of us Jets fans can see, Eli Manning did not have a stellar beginning to his career as I said before. Even though we will get more games of struggles, give him a chance. Because I know I was calling Eli “A bust” his early years, now I regret them words. Thanks again Randy for the Stats! Now let’s go to Oakland and redeem ourselves and get back to winning! -GO JETS!!