• Tue., Sep. 16, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 5:20 PM - 5:35 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conferences: Coordinators Dennis Thurman, Marty Mornhinweg and Thomas McGaughey will address the media following practice.

WR Omens: Clowney Growth, Better Health

Posted by Randy Lange on October 29, 2009 – 4:40 pm

As an undercard to today’s Rex report, we bring you some excerpts from wideout David Clowney’s new blog. On his first pro regular-season touchdown reception, the 35-yard man-beater from Mark Sanchez at Oakland, he said:

"I almost came to tears on the sideline. I’ve been waiting on that thing for three years. All the times I’ve shined in the preseason, I finally got an opportunity in the regular season and I made it happen."

Now to the main event. Head coach Rex Ryan expressed optimism that more of those kinds of plays are in the offing and that he won’t become overlooked with Jerricho Cotchery returning to health to rejoin Braylon Edwards.

"I don’t think that’s going to happen anymore," Ryan said at today’s news conference. "I think there’s a lot of trust now. I think our coaches believe he’s going to be where he’s supposed to be. David, I think, is getting the mental part down. He obviously has the physical tools.

"I just think David gives you a weapon. If you just want to play man-free coverage or single high safety, he can blow the roof off, and I think he’s proven that. So I think that’s going to help us. The more balls he can catch underneath with the crossing routes, the little drives, the shallow routes are only going to help him become that big-time receiver also. He’s working like crazy to get better catching those intermediate and short routes as well."

Clowney started doing that seriously at Oakland as the Raiders focused on preventing Edwards from hurting them. His other three receptions went for 11, 14 and 19 yards. All four catches moved the chains; three converted third downs.

"We didn’t throw the ball a lot against Oakland, because if it ain’t broke don’t fix it," Clowney blogged. "We had two running backs running the heck out of the ball, so we just had to keep running it. That’s great because it’s going to open up plays for myself, Bray, Jerricho, Wallace and Brad."

And the positive health report today from Rex is that, while Clowney (ankle), Cotchery (hamstring) and Brad Smith (quad) remain "limited" at practice, "I think everybody looks pretty good" for Miami on Sunday.

"I think that’s going to give us a heck of a receiving corps, I really do," Ryan said. "When we got Braylon, that really upgraded our receiving corps. I really believe we have two No. 1 receivers now with Jerricho and Braylon, and you’ve got an emerging guy in David Clowney and then you’ve got the multidimensional Brad Smith and you’ve got Wallace Wright. I think that’s an excellent group."

Mix that in with the Thomas Jones/Shonn Greene-led running attack and Mark Sanchez’s growth curve and the prospects are good. We have to see who dresses and how it all shakes out vs. Miami, but just remember that in prime time three games ago, with Cotchery limited and Brad Smith out after he pulled his quad, Clowney reeled in his 53-yarder from Sanchez, still the Jets’ long reception this season.

Rex Cetera

A little special teams updated: Justin Miller continues to look good returning kickoffs and "he’ll be our kick returner" for Miami, Ryan said. Playing defense in this new Jets system "is probably French class to him," but Miller will be doing more on special teams than just KORs.

Ryan said Danny Woodhead isn’t moving into a prominent kick or punt returner at this time, although he’s a backup in those roles. But Woodhead’s three kickoff-coverage tackles led the Jets at Oakland "and that doesn’t happen by accident." Since he’s also developed something along the lines of dual offensive citizenship as a WR and RB, Rex said, "He’s a valuable player right now for us."

Tags: , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “WR Omens: Clowney Growth, Better Health”

1. By Frankie on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

i think danny woodhead can be a factor in this miami game… go jets!!!!!

2. By steven on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

I think Woodhead would be the most consistent receiver and a threat after he gets the ball. However I think as a running back he would get injured just like washington and think it would be a huge risk. Why aren’t they playing him at receiver already? Corners would have problems with him up the middle

3. By scjoe on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Way to go Clowney! Hearing what Rex said was music to my ears. I have been a Clowney supporter since they signed him three years ago. When everyone was talking about the need for a speed receiver I said that we already have one on this team. Great news Randy. I think we are going to have to throw the ball more this week to get a win, so this plays right into it. This is a huge game coming up.

4. By Ira on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

I have to agree with Rex. The WR corp looks really,really good right now. And if anybody forgot Clowney’s 1st career catch was a 1 handed catch across the middle vs the Bills last year. Miller will be a fine fill in Leon without any dropoff in the return game. Maybe they will even get Miller into a WC play or so. GO JETS!!!!

5. By slipknot76 on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

woodheads gonna be an amazing player to take leons place, as crazy s that sounds….but im happy clowney is finally getting his due playing time. hes earned the right to try and get open and now its gonna be pick ur poison time….braylon, j-co, wright, smith or clowney then with tj, greene and woodhead comin out of the backfield, its not gona be easy to stop us. but we MUST win sunday

6. By Jon on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

I have to agree Frankie, I think Woodhead can be a huge weapon. Give him a couple screens and let him run wild. LETS GO JETS!!

7. By Clowney on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

I would love to see Clowney get more playing time. If his talent and speed holds true in regular season like it has in preseason the past 2 years, we could have a tandem like the Colts had with Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley.

8. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Wood’s best shot is as a Leon-type back even AFTER Leon comes back. He was a runner in college and he’s ready to try that now as a 3rd/4th back and ST/returns guy. Makes no sense to try him at WR now that we got BE, Clowney’s getting going, Smith and WW deserve more time, and the Jets seem to be open to Hartsock and DK in at the same time. And I’d certainly get Henry out there as a WR before Wood.

9. By uncle joe on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Very odd that during the whole press conference,this article,all comments,& pretty much this first half of the season,there is no mention of DUSTIN KELLER.If teams aren’t doubling him then there is a problem why he is not getting passes that needs to be corrected.I love him,but I always felt he was like Shockey,who breaks your heart dropping clutch passes.

10. By Ira on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Jets fan 64,
    Woodhead can line up as a WR but if he were to see any passes they’re probably going to be WR screens or short stuff. He is not going to become a WR. He is a very good athlete and can help this football team. maybe they get him a screen or two this week to slow down the pass rush of the Dolphins. Protect the ball and play smart and Jets win 20-13. GO JETS!!!!

11. By Ira on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

uncle joe,
    They have tried to get Keller the ball. 10 passes went his way vs the Bills and last week a few and clearly Keller and Sanchez are not on the same page. I am sure that will be one of the things the coaches try to get fixed over the bye week. Keller is too good a player and a matchup problem not to take advantage of his talents. I expect a better 2nd half of the year from him.

12. By scjoe on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

I believe the problem with Keller is, when he is in there, there is no “traditional” TE in the game, therefore the pass protection breaks down. You would think it should be very similar to what the Colts run with Clark, but I am not sure we have the pass protection the Colts have, and we surely don’t have a Peyton Manning yet. I think with Keller and Greene in at the same time, it has to be run.

13. By Anthony on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

I am getting kind of heated with all the Dolphin Fans TALKING TRASH. I really hope we bring it to them this week. We shouldn’t just beat the Fins we should demolish, demoralize them. I hope all the players take the field knowing these guys are trashing your coach and your personalities and skillset This is go time and I am beyond psyched for this game. Shonne Greene plesae run over porter…

14. By Jeremy on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

WR group is definitely looking good if everyone can get healthy. Woodhead has potential to make people miss on a good screen or hitch but with the JETS running it so much, there are limited throws to go around. I hope the JETS can really utilize the play action. Watching the Raiders put 8&9 in the box left Clowney and Keller open. If teams double BE, others have to get looks! Redemption time!

15. By 36 year fan on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Could we aquire Larry Johnson for a draft pick next year? I could imagine Larry as that big bruising frieght train attack. Like the Giants use Jacobs, then change gears to Jones , woodhead, and run brad smith . Even Sanchez should take off ,once in a while, to keep the secondary honest . It’s like a running attack play. The fans have got to be loud on Sunday so that Henne cant change plays to Aud

16. By Ira on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

scjoe,
    Keller has been open the past few games. And sometimes the have even lined him up in the slot or wide and put in Hartstock to block. Early on Keller was being doubled now he is getting open. Its all about him and Sanchez getting on the same page. We need to see more plays like the pass he caught and took for about a 26 yd run last week. They will come maybe starting this week. GO JETS!!!!

17. By 36 year fan on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

We are going to play our game this week. We’re going to rush the Pass. We’re going to attack. Their little tricks aren’t going to be a surprise this time. The pads are going to be Cracken’ this time

18. By 36 year fan on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Anthony I’m with ya. Let’s see how they’re talkin’ after the game.

19. By Tom Spicer on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

I am glad they are going to make Clowney the 3rd WR going forward he clearly has the most talent of the bunch. Wright & Smith are not better than him & are great ST’S players & we need them there. Smith is good for a few gadget plays a game I just dont like him as a WR. With Braylon (tall WR who goes up to get it) Cotch (clutch possesion guy) & Clowney (the burner) we are set at WR.

20. By Rafman on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

All i want is pace coming around the corner sacking Ronnie Brown ,SHUT DOWN THE WILD CAT!!! GO JETS!!!

21. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

So then do I read you right, Ira, that Wood’s future on the Jets isn’t at WR but at RB? I’d like to hear your thoughts on Henry. scjoe, I agree we have the makings of a Colts-like O and that’s the right kind of model to go after. uncle joe, whatever you “always felt” about DK as a Jet, you’ve only been feeling it for a year and a half. Give him more time that that before drawing any conclusions.

22. By OriginalJetfan on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Edwards, Clowney, Cotchery, Keller, Woodhead as running back hmm
    Double Team Edwards, DT on Cotchery, Nickle on Clowney, and LB on Keller, equals long screen pass TD to Woodhead or Really long TD to Clowney, or medium TD pass to Keller, this could be interesting.

23. By Frank on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Ira your right the problem with Keller is Sanchez who is having accuracy issues how many times has he thrown wide and over Keller this season its been quite a bit. Scott needs to keep his mouth shut already saying he is gonna take out Henne is not only dumb its going to put more pressure on the team and Sanchez than is already necessary. He needs to shut up and start doing something on the field.

24. By MIKE on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Enough of this Woodhead talk. The kid is great and is all heart, but in order to beat Miami we have to play there game which is ground and pound and going deep to Braylon. We have an unbelievable duo of hard runners that can get 250yards on the ground and throw a couple deep balls to Edwards to keep them honest. Mix in Keller on 3rd and long play solid D and that will get us a win.

25. By Tom Spicer on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Now that Cotch is back this is the 1st game that Sanchez will have both Braylon & Cotch on the field at the same time. The Phins are starting 2 rookie CB’S we need to take advantage of this throw the ball open up the running lanes than pound them with Jones & Greene also use Keller the Phins have not done well vs TE’S. This is a must win game for the Jets we can not go 1 & 3 in the AFC east

26. By Pranit on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Bart Scott take over the miami game…stick it to these guys…go Bart go…..And David Harris too..just level these guys…go jets !!! can’t wait for 1pm sunday !!!

27. By Tom Spicer on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

The truth is that if the Jets can’t beat Miami on Sunday, they are done for the season for all intents and purposes, and are not a good team as a result. They win, they are alive and still in contention WE NEED THIS GAME !

28. By Ira on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Tom,
    I think Danny is a very good football player and could do a lot of different things. Considering the Jets were so banged up at WR the past few weeks i guess they made a small package of plays for him at WR. Now with Leon out Danny will fill in as the change of pace RB or catch a few passes out of the backfield. I think Henry has great size and good hands. Problem is no speed at all.

29. By scjoe on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

Ira, I agree to a point, but when Hartstock is in at TE you have increased pass protection and Keller, in the slot, or lined up wide just defeats the purpose of having that dynamic pass catching TE. I would rather see Clowney out wide or even in the slot, rather then Keller. See my point? I agree MS & DK need more chemistry, but I still see a pass protection problem.

30. By Row on Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

36 While I agree LJ has a step left, it’s past the trade deadline. The only change at D I could see is maybe a situational 4-6 with an extra safety. We need to get Braylon some slants. Sanchez is incapable of throwing deep if he doesn’t have his first option. He throws blind and reads nothing. Get rid of the out pattern this week. Try some veer, maybe a reverse with Woodhead. Schotty wins it!

31. By GERARD on Oct 31, 2009 | Reply

listen we knew that given a chance green was going to bust out from behind that line. what we didnt know was that he flat out can see the field and the holes. if he does it this week against a team that will play us tuff he is a bonfied rb in this league and should get the split carries. i dont want to forget how jones has also been a beast for us but now there is a duo at hand to deal with.