• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

With Winston Hill, Once a Fan, Always a Fan

Posted by jetsstaff on November 9, 2009 – 5:05 pm

I’ve known Winston Hill was special for a long time now. How long? Ever since the week when, during his playing days, my mom brought home a loaf of Wonder Bread and it had a football card inside as a premium. It was Winston Hill of my beloved New York Jets, left tackle and perennial All-Star. “Great!” I thought, “How lucky is this?”

A few days later, new loaf of bread. Sure enough six or eight slices in, the card appears and ”Wow! Winston Hill! TWICE! This guy has GOT to be good,” my young mind told me. I think my buddy Rich Alifano got some guy named Namath’s card, but by then my mind was already made up — this Winston Hill fellow is Two-Loaves Good, and I’m going to keep my eye on him.

As a young fan, it really paid off, as Hill had many a great day protecting the guy on Rich’s card, much to the delight of Jets fans everywhere.

In putting together this Winston Hill gallery, I was hard-pressed to find a volume of shots — didn’t the photographers back then eat bread? But we feel there is a nice variety here for you to enjoy. My two favorites are Winston Hill going through the snap in a posed shot — the old “Huck ‘n’ Buck” football photography approach where athletes mimicked actual plays, sometimes without helmets, to benefit slow photogs and slower equipment, and the nice portrait I was able to unearth of him with teammate Sherman Plunkett, No. 79, who is no longer with us.

I’ve rounded out the gallery with a selection of photos from the Nov. 1 weekend, when Hill and some of his old mates visited head coach Rex Ryan at practice, and then attended “Winston Hill Day” on the field at halftime of the Dolphins game.

And yes, I still have those two cards!

Tags: , ,
Posted in Al Pereira | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “With Winston Hill, Once a Fan, Always a Fan”

1. By Michael Kronenberg on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Al–These are great! I’ve really enjoyed your posts and digging into Jets’ history for these awesome images. Please continue to show us more Jets photos from the 1960s and ’70s. Thanks!!

2. By jimig on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

I too have some great winston hill experiances he signed ball for my unborn son over ten years ago at Jets broncos game for AFC title signed one for me as a 6 yearold in Peekskill back in the late 60′s . teaches my 10 year old every summer with John Dockery Dave Herman and Joe Wille at the joe namath football camp What a great person and football great who should be in hall of fame.

3. By Ira on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Al, great photos especially the old ones. Love Maynards 60′s threads on that last picture. keep these old photos coming Al.

4. By Ira on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Kudos to T.Carter for the game he had last night . He has had a nice career for the Steelers.

5. By jets on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

randy..when are they going to announce the time of the jets and pats?? thanks

6. By scjoe on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

It is really nice to read some of your stories on past Jets Randy. In this article you mentioned Sherman Plunket who I had almost forgotten about. I didn’t know, or have forgotten, that he had passed. I will always remember him being one of the really big men of that era, and for one of those dirty Raider players pulling his helmet off in a game and helped the Jets get a win. Anyone remember that?

7. By Vinny McParland on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Must have been 1972 or so,but I remeber Winston signing at A&S at ths Smithhaven Mall.My brother cousins and myself were the only ones there.The man was cordial,receptive and a class act.He signed my kid brother’s smelly sneaker.VinnyLB

8. By Al Pereira on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

jets, an update. The Jets-Patriots game will be at 4:15 p.m. The NFL announced today that no Week 11 games would be moved via Flex Scheduling.

9. By Tom Spicer on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

The Jets have to beat Jags & Panthers at home. They also have to beat the Bills (in Canada) & Bucs on the road. Then they have to win 2 of these 4 at Colts & Pats or home vs Falcons & Bengals. If we can pull this off at 10 & 6 I think we make the playoffs.

10. By david on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

i know it was winston’s day, but it would have been nice to announce the names of his teammates who showed up to support him at halftime

11. By Al Pereira on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

We announced the list of teammates and ex-Jets at the ceremony in our Winston Hill feature. The list included former Super Bowl era teammates Al Atkinson, Ralph Baker, Randy Beverly, Emerson Boozer, Earl Christy, John Dockery, John Elliott, Dave Herman, Joe Namath, Randy Rasmussen, Jeff Richardson, John Schmitt, Mike Stromberg and Steve Thompson, longtime Jets PR director Frank Ramos, and Jason Fabini, a former Jets tackle of more recent vintage.

12. By Rand Booth on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

I remember when I was 8 or 9 years old I attended Joe Namath football camp and I was really home sick. Winston Hill brought me in to the office and sat with me as I called my mom, I will never forget that. Thanks Winston!

13. By Anthony on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

I wish I had chances of attending old camps, and meeting Jets players… But being born in Iowa and never getting closer than Chicago area to the Jets has been hard. I have been a fan since I was almost 4, still have my Jets football helmet from when I was a kid, and have taken all the punishment of being a Jets fan in those lull years.. I am proud of being a jets fan, even here in Colorado

14. By KING on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

ANOTHER GREAT JOB AL AND RANDY . KEEP THE OLD PHOTOS GOING , THANKS ….

15. By jimig on Nov 18, 2009 | Reply

Anthony from Iowa we watch the JETS every sunday in boulder AT THE LAZY DOG on pearl st. mall bring the helmet you’ll fit right in go JETS hope to see ya

16. By davetharave on Jan 7, 2010 | Reply

Great to hear that Jets fans live all over the country, some were never even New Yorkers, they just know a great team when they see it. I’m a Jet fan since 1967 and now living in California. It doesn’t matter where I live, I’ll always follow the green and white if I need a satellite, cable, transistor radio or computer to do it. Go Jets !!