Rex on Mark, Kerry, Bart and the Defense

Posted by Randy Lange on December 14, 2009 – 5:01 pm

Topic A for many Jets fans and reporters is Mark Sanchez. But Rex Ryan wasn’t ready on this afternoon’s conference call with reporters to declare anything about his starting quarterback for Sunday’s next big game, against Atlanta.

"I’m not sure yet," said the Jets head coach. "Mark did a great job of getting the treatment over the weekend. I think Wednesday we’ll see how he feels."

Ryan remained optimistic about Sanchez’s right knee but not to the point where he’s handicapping the QB situation. He’s confident the rookie QB will participate in practice this week, with some splitting of the first offense reps with Kellen Clemens until everyone can assess where Sanchez is physically.

"Clearly, if Mark’s going to be playing, I want him to get the majority of the snaps, just like I would if Kellen was going to be playing," Ryan said, adding that if healthy, Sanchez is the starter: "If we think he’s ready to go, he’ll be in there."

Here are some other topics Ryan addressed today:

Kerry Rhodes

The coach had words of praise for the veteran safety, who returned to the starting lineup in a three-safety sub package along with Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard tailored for the Bucs’ offense.

"I knew going in that to open the game I wanted to get that three-safety look and match Kerry up on Kellen Winslow," Rex said. "That’s why I knew he’d be starting but I wasn’t going to tell everybody that Eric would be starting as well. As the game went on, Kerry played more snaps than Eric."

And Rhodes, said Ryan, played those snaps successfully.

"Kerry played his best game since I’ve been here. He was tremendous. He had a couple of big hits, a great play in the running game, and obviously the interception he made was an outstanding play," the coach said. "It almost looked like mentally and everything else that this was his best game."

Winslow was held to four catches for 26 yards, nothing longer than 8 yards, by Rhodes and the pass defense, which again is No. 1 in the league.

The Defense

Which segues into a general riff on the Jets’ phenomenal "D" of late. Among all the No. 1 rankings the unit will have after tonight’s Arizona-San Francisco game is over, the Green & White are now and will in the morning be the NFL’s No. 1-ranked defense in total yards. You’ll recall last week that the Jets were No. 1 on Monday but No. 2 on Tuesday after Green Bay rose up to shut down Baltimore. But neither the Cards nor the Niners can catch the Jets this week.

"We’ve given up one third down in the last 25 attempts, two out of the last 38 third downs have been converted against us. So I think we’re playing OK on defense," Rex deadpanned. "I think our guys are more familiar with what we’ve been doing. I think their preparation has been great. Pretty much the plan’s in place. I thought we might be in a groove here defensively as the year went on, with people being familiar with our system. They’re understanding this is our defense now. It’s not Baltimore’s defense, it’s the New York Jets defense. And I think the guys are getting a great grasp of it."

Several noteworthy stats and charts have come out of Sunday’s game and out of the recent stretch of games to underscore Ryan’s view of the D. For instance, Tampa Bay’s six first downs were tied for the fourth-fewest in a game by an opponent in franchise history. (The two most recent low-FD games were 1997 against the Buccaneers in the Meadowlands, a 31-0 rout, and on Christmas Eve 2000 in the 34-20 loss to Rex Ryan’s Ravens in Baltimore.

And the 124 yards allowed marked the third consecutive game the Jets defense has held an opponent to less than 200 yards. That’s only the third time in Jets annals that this has happened, with the other stingy stretches coming in 1971 and 1981. No Jets team did it four consecutive games.

But the chart I like has to do with TD-to-INT margin. We all know that quarterbacks are often measured by this handy gauge. But let’s turn it around and examine the defense’s’ INT-to-TD margin for the past three games, vs. Carolina, at Buffalo and at Tampa. The Jets have given up no touchdown passes in those three games while posting eight interceptions. So that’s a plus-8 margin.

That’s merely the best three-game stretch in franchise history. Here are the 10 Jets teams that posted plus-7′s over the years (Jets home games in CAPS):

Year Games Opponents INT-TD W-L-T
 1963 2-4 HOU-OAK-BOS 11-4 3-0
 1967 3-5 MIA-OAK-HOU 10-3 2-0-1
 1968 7-9 BOS-BUF-HOU 11-4 3-0
 1969 12-14 OAK-hou-mia 11-4 2-1
 1969 13-PO1 hou-mia-KC 10-3 2-1
 1973 1-3 gb-bal-buf 9-2 1-2
 1979 6-8 bal-MIN-OAK 10-3 2-1
 1979 7-9 MIN-OAK-hou 10-3 2-1
 1998 7-9 ATL-kc-BUF 7-0 3-0
 2001 8-10 no-KC-mia 8-1 3-0

Bart’s Indiscretion

Ryan said Bart Scott will still have some "restitution" to pay for his unnecessary-roughness penalty that gave the Bucs their first first down of the game and enabled them to get close enough for their only points on Connor Barth’s field goal to ruin the defense’s shutout bid. But Rex wasn’t saying exactly what the payback will be.

"That might be a private issue, but absolutely there’s going to be some ramifications for Bart," Ryan said. "I’ll just let him tell you. He’ll find out Wednesday. It’s good news/bad news for Bart. We’ve got a few things in mind for him."

Scott taped his weekly "Barking with Bart" segment with my partner, Eric Allen, during which he talked a little more about the background of the penalty. The show and EA’s blog will both be live on newyorkjets.com Tuesday.

Victory Monday?

Ryan was asked about giving his players off today the day after the 26-3 Tampa thumping. A number of players were at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center for treatment and to do running but there were no required corrections walkthrough or position meetings.

"They definitely earned it," Ryan said. "It was really warm out there [in Tampa], we were getting in late, and I just thought it was appropriate to give them a little rest. We’re going to have to play a physical game when the Atlanta Falcons come in here and we’ve got to be ready to roll."

If you want to hear Ryan’s conference call today, there will be audio (but no video) of the call available from the newyorkjets.com home page soon.

Tags: , , , , , ,

38 Responses to “Rex on Mark, Kerry, Bart and the Defense”

1. By Row on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Schotty, Atlanta has the 30th ranked passing defense in the league. Leonhard could step up a bit. Smith should play more vs Atlanta. (run defense) Cannot believe the progress defensively. Name the starter tomorrow. KC plays = we win. Greene should do nothing but ball control drills in practice, the guy has more fumbles lost then TD’s. How was our kick coverage without Izzo?

2. By scjoe on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Interesting stats above Randy. As Jet fans, I think the most defining of those would have to be the 1973 games 1,2 &3 We have NINE (9) INTs and allow TWO (2) TDs and go 1-2 Only our Jets could accomplish that feat. (;-) Correct me if I am wrong Randy, but I think the last time we led the league in total D was 68, the championship year. An omen? I doubt it, the NFL has changed to much since then.

3. By carl on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

#1 is all good but ya just got to keep winning football games!!The D is on fire! Once the O starts goin!!! Go Jets!

4. By Ray on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

I don’t care if he starts Clemens again this week or not, but how could anyone watch that game and think he can lead us to three more victories??? Talk about drinking the kool aid, you guys are SWIMMING IN IT!! The blather trying to convince yourselves that he had a good game (he didn’t have any turnovers!) is hilarious! If TB had any 12FT tall db’s they might, just might, have had five picks!

5. By Ray on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Not bad for a guy who hasn’t played in two years? He was out of sync with the WR’s? Right….those weren’t timing passes, those were passes that sailed so far over the guys heads they didn’t even bother to jump for them! If that had been Sanchez he would be getting grilled for missing so many wide open receivers, KC gets a pass (no pun) because he hasn’t practiced with the starters? …..

6. By Ray on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

….Row I do appreciate that you didn’t come in here and try to put some kind of “KC was awesome!” type of spin on things. ABILITY, the Bengals are not a wildcard team, they are going to win their division. Spicer every week you predict that every game will go exactly the way we need it to. Be real, just hope for the best and prepare for the worst , it’s gonna take a small miracle to get us in

7. By Ira on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

We all knew this was going to become a top 5 D this year and the results are showing and thats amazing since they have been playing without KJ. Row, Don’t worry about Greene. They will work on his fumble deal during the offseason. T.Barber had the same problems until they got it fixed.

8. By Ira on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I agree with Rex that Kerry did play his best game of the year vs the Bucs. That Balt game from 2000 still turns my stomach. Randy, With the PO’s still a possibilty this reminds me of the 02 season and how it all played out on the last week. I can’t remember if they had a WC chance besides also winning the Div on that last week. Would you know if they did?

9. By schuyler on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Just keep winning. We can’t let up this Sunday against the Falcons. Go Jets!

10. By Randy Lange on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Ira, going into 2002 Week 17, the Jets would have gotten the second wild card if Miami had beaten New England, Cleveland had lost to Atlanta AND either Kansas City had lost to Oakland that Saturday OR Denver had beaten Arizona. With the Patriots’ comeback win over the Dolphins in the Sunday 1 p.m. game, the only playoff path remaining was to beat Brett Favre and the Packers to win the division, which is of course what the Jets did, 42-17.

11. By steven on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Schotty, why hasn’t Brad Smith been used as a quarteerback? He set college records and he is so mobile. Why is he a receiver instead of a quarterback? Any chance of working that gift?

12. By Tom Spicer on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Row, Kellen clearly does not give us a better chance to win then Sanchez. There were like 7 passes to wide open WR’S that Kellen either over or under threw. We could have beat the Bucs like 40 to 3. If Sanchez had thrown those types of passes guys on this board would be screaming for his head on a platter. Out of the 7 passes that Kellen messed up Sanchez would have messed up 1 of them.

13. By Tom Spicer on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Row, call it fair down the middle Kellen played bad period. We knew going in he had no pocket pressence, happy feet & know we know he has accuracy issues. Kellen couldnt hit water if he threw a rock out of a boat ! He had 10 days practicing with the 1′s Sanchez didnt not practice at all & he has been throwing to Cothcery for 4 years & throwing to Keller for 2 years. He should have timing down pat.

14. By Anthony on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Rex Ryan is doing what Mangini could never do impose a good Philosophy and give this team determination. I am happy he is the coach and hope we can continue to win by playing hard. J-E-T-S

15. By uncle joe on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I can’t see the Ravens losing anymore games.They play Chi(W),at Pitt(W,they hate Pitt)& at Oak(w).If they win out we are out.I think we have a better chance of NE losing 2,they have at Buf,Jax & at Hou,they could definately lose 2 especially how they are on the road this year! I said it last week though,I could see Oak helping us get in by SHOCKING Baltimore in the last week.

16. By Ira on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Ray, You’re right the odds are against them. I think their best chance is of course they must win out [they will] and this week losses for Jags, Mia and hope some how some way Pitt beats Balt next week. Or maybe even Den loses an AFC game to Oak or KC. Crazier things have happened before. I do know it will be a playoff feel at the Meadowlands this week. Early forecast rain/snow.

17. By Tom Spicer on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Ray, Last week I was 2 4 2 check the posts I said the Jaguars & Denver would lose & yes they were in the Jets favor but did u see me saying the Lions were going to win at the Ravens no. I say what I really think will happen for those keeping score the week before that I was 2 out of 5 so I am 4 out of 7 in the last 2 weeks. I will say it again Jaguars lose 2 Colts & Miami loses at Titans this week

18. By Tom Spicer on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Ray, The Bengals are no lock for the playoffs if the Ravens win out (they have a easy schedule) they will be 10 & 6. The Bengals are going to lose at the Chargers this week & at the Jets in 3 weeks. So if they happen to slip up vs the Cheifs they are 9 & 7 with no playoffs.

19. By carl on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Once again TJ the Man!!!Please pay the man!! I think he deserves it ! As a season ticket holder its nice knowing that we have such a solid running game for next year ! New stadium, remember got to put fannies in those seats. Go Jets!!!

20. By marko on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Woodhead would have been the top receiver of the game if Clemens was able to throw a 7 yard swing pass. Woodhead can be a Welker type player.

21. By Andy in N.S. on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Hey if we win next two (big if) and the bungals lose this week at s.d. then would that not set up possibly Jets vs. Bengals for the last W.C.Oh yeah Jax/Fish need to lose one more game

22. By Patrick on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Ray, my sentiments exactly. We have to score more TDs offensively this week and Kellen didn’t do a great job of moving the chains through the air against prob the worst team. That pass to Cotchery in the back of the endzone should have been an easy 6, it wasn’t even close. We should have beat them worse than the raiders. I guess i have “sanchez derangement syndrome” as I’ve read on here before

23. By Ira on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Upset of the Week.
    Bills 17 – Pats 16

24. By dougmc on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Jets just picked up Chauncey Washington from Cowboys practice squad.Woodhead is future Welker hopefully.Clemons just doesn’t have what it takes.I thought they had at least a good back-up but he’s to shakey.We win 3 and Pats loose 2 and Fins loose 1 and we win division.Probably to hard to get wildcard with all the 7-6 teams.Where’s Gholston? What a bust ! Let’s go Jets,Jets,Jets…

25. By Ray on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Your right Ira, crazier things have happened. It would be more fun if we were in control of our destiny but this year is unbelievable for how many teams in the mix happen to play eachother down the stretch. Spicer my point is you look at what we need to happen in each game and that is how you pick it. The Bengals are going to the playoffs, they swept that division and they aren’t losing to KC.

26. By Frankie on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

If Pit can win one more game it would be the ravens game. they will play them hard and i GURANTEE pit beats balt. The fins will lose to titans and jags to colts. we just need to win out. kc is horrible, he played the bucs and looked bad. we need sanchez back bad. woodhead in the slot and have BS come in to run the wildcat w/throws. we have the weapons.. get er done… go jets!!!!!!!!

27. By Ray on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Don’t get me wrong Spicer, everyone in here wants the same thing, so I would be thrilled if all your picks were right on the money. BTW I did note that you didn’t pick the Lions to win, but that was going to be too much of a stretch even for you.

28. By marko on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Erick Ainge looked much better than Clemens in pre- season. Ainge seems to get the most out of Clowney. He’s the prototypical tall QB. He sees over the Linemen and he has a strong arm.

29. By govyguy on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Ray and Tom, you guys are upset about what exactly with Clemens? You got a win didn’t you. Aren’t you still in the playoff picture. Seems to me Clemens probably stayed within the game plan, that would have been the same for Sanchez, by the way. I think you see what you want to see. I’m sure Rex is sitting somewhere right now reading this, wondering what your input is. Hm.

30. By Ray on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

I feel ya on that Patrick…now it’s one of those damned if you do and damned if you don’t scenarios. If they continue to start KC I don’t see us winning three more games and half the people will be screaming that we should have started MS….but if they start MS and we lose…..it will probably be worse in here….I’m just gonna say I hope whatever they do that it is the right choice.

31. By Ray on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

govyguy, maybe you should work on your comprehension, I have no problem with KC, my posts were geared towards the posters, maybe that was hitting a little close to home for you. I think I saw what everyone else saw, what did you see? Were passes five yards over the guys heads part of the game plan? “We had no turnovers” and “we won the game” are the two mantras I keep hearing this week from….

32. By Ray on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

….the KKAB (Kellen Kool Aid Brigade) this week. Ok that is fine. Now I’ll ask again….what did you see on sunday that makes you think he can lead us to three more victories over significantly better competition? And as for Rex, I’ll repeat myself from last year…I’m not delusional enough to think Rex is in here reading the posts from a bunch of arm chair qb’s….unless he wants a good laugh.

33. By dea101954 on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

If the Jets want to win out, as in beat Atlanta, the Colts and whoever they finish with, they really ought to think of the team, instead of money…Shopping KC isn’t going to help his value. MS has demonstrated his ability to SINGLE-HANDEDLY lose THREE games, all by himself…What a joke for the highest paid Jet ever. Ainge led to different teams to 2 SEC-East titles. Was clealy best in preseaso

34. By Row on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

I just think Rex is hurting the team by not choosing a starter earlier in the week. KC is not going to have a game plan that’s going to shine, the franchise won’t allow it. Watch Jacksonville draft Tebow. It is about tickets. Sanchez was gift wrapped the job, had tons more reps. Btw, the offense changes year to year. I see us winning with KC. We would be in a better position had we not drafted #6.

35. By joe b on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

dea101954, this is the NFL not the SEC. Ainge hasn’t thrown a regular season pass. That what the coaches do, see who gives us the best chance to win. If they thought Ainge was the man, he would have played. If we were playing Auburn or Arkansas, than maybe they would use Ainge. And they could probably use Gholston against SEC teams. Didn’t JaMarcus Russell play in and win the SEC ? I rest my case

36. By Tony on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

starting a Rookie Qb, the team is lucky if the rookie mistakes that are inevitable only cost the team 3 or 4 games. Sanchez did cost JETS games, but the Defense caughed up some games also late in 4th qtr. Rex should of went with the QB that played the best in the preseason instead of the QB thats suppose to start, if he’s really putting the team before any player. Ainge should of started

37. By govyguy on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

Ray, I re-read your posts and don’t think I’m missing your point. Here is what I see. Clemens has the knowledge, skills and ability to quarterback in this league, or he wouldn’t be here at all. Neither of these QB’s dictate the game plan, but stay within the one dictated to them, which is run heavy obviously. So, neither are going to throw a lot anyway…

38. By govyguy on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

…The pass to Cotchery, in the back of the endzone should’ve been 6. But, with a defender right in front of Cotchery, Clemens puts it where only Cotchery can get to it. Just a little high and out front, but off the hands. What I see is a QB so uptight about turnovers he doesn’t play his game. Clemens needs to stop trying to be perfect and play like he can. Thats what I see.