• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

Rex Challenges Players. Then Sends Them Off

Posted by Randy Lange on January 25, 2010 – 6:26 pm

Every team can use a slogan, and while this is by no means the official catchphrase of the 2010 Jets, head coach Rex Ryan used it to give his players and coaches guidance as they head into their all-too-short off-season before beginning the ’10 campaign with the start of the off-season strength and conditioning program in early April:

"Find a way to get better."

"What I told the players," Ryan said at his final news conference of the ’09 season, one day after the Jets’ Sunday title loss to the Colts, "is that next year — this year — when we come back, we can’t make the assumption we’re going to get back to where we were in the AFC Championship. We have an excellent team, no question. The work ethic, the resiliency, all that’s why we were in that situation, what we did in the off-season, putting in a brand-new defense, having this all-weather offense, and watching it come together especially the last couple of months.

"But we enter this season zero-and-zero, so there’s no guarantee we’re going to get back. My challenge to myself, our players and all our coaches is to find a way to get better individually, whatever that is — I don’t know what it is. But everybody get a little bit better and when that happens, maybe that’ll put us over the top."

One reason to get over the top is to proceed toward the stated goal of winning a Super Bowl. Another reason is to avoid the gnawing sensation, the pit in the stomach, that all the Jets feel today.

"This is two years in a row that I helped coach a team that got beat in the AFC Championship Game, and that’s brutal," said Ryan, referring to the Ravens’ loss at Pittsburgh a year ago. "You get so close, yet you don’t find a way to get it done. It definitely hurts, no question."

But as his players eloquently put it in their Lucas Oil Stadium locker room Sunday evening and again in their own locker room today, their bitterness and emptiness are mixed in with a pride of accomplishment shared by Ryan.

"Most teams, when you’re 4-6, or you lose two of your best players, Pro Bowl players, a lot of times teams would not necessarily quit but would not find a way to get it done," he said. "Our team found a way to get it done. We believe in each other, we believe in our system, in our way of doing things. That’s great. Going into the season, I told our players I wanted to be the team nobody wanted to play, and we’re there."

The Jets are there for even more reasons. In rookie QB Mark Sanchez on Sunday, Ryan said, "We just saw our future." Their No. 1 rushing offense will get back Leon Washington. Their No. 1 defense, Kris Jenkins.

And Rex noted an interesting twist on "changing the culture" of the Green & White. It changes not only for those already here but for others who would like to come here.

"It’s definitely me being me," he said of the role of his personality in the alteration. "But it’s a belief I have in our guys. It’s something I wanted them to know, how I see our players, how I see our system, how I see our coaches, how I see our organization. It’s a true belief I have. Is that changing the culture? Maybe it is."

Yet that means players old and new need to buy into the culture.

"I want guys who play loose and have fun," he said. "But you also have to be accountable, not just to me but to your teammates. That’s where our team is at right now. That’s why I have so much confidence in this group. Whoever we bring in in the future has to play, has to study to a certain standard, or else you’re an outcast and you’ll be gone."

One other messages he sent the players away with today had to do with hunger.

"Let’s come back hungrier than ever," Ryan said he told the players at his last team meeting of ’09-10 after they underwent their exit physicals this morning. "Let’s try to get a home game and play this game in front of our fans in our stadium, the New Jets Stadium. I can’t wait, man. We’re not the visitors in our stadium. This is our stadium. We’re the biggest show in town."

Another had to do with the wearing of the green, and he wasn’t talking about St. Patrick’s Day.

"I’m wearing Jets gear from now on," he said. "I told our players to wear their Jets stuff, too, be proud of it. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be proud to be New York Jets. And I want fans to wear Jets stuff, too. Not every day, but at least two or three times a week would be fine."

More on All-Star Shaun

In my earlier blog this afternoon, I speculated that Shaun Ellis, although selected as an alternate to play in Sunday’s Pro Bowl, likely wouldn’t make it to the game due to his broken left hand. But Ryan seemed to think Ellis would make it for one more game this season.

"He’s going to be out there with his club and he’s ready to roll," the coach said. "I told all those guys, too, that are going to the Pro Bowl, you represent yourself but you also represent the Jets. Outwork everybody there. Just show ‘em what the Jets are all about. I’m proud to have Shaun out there. He can use that club to start wearing people out with it."

Rex Cetera

Ryan was especially complimentary toward the Colts and Peyton Manning, who put up 461 yards of offense and 360 net passing yards. "After looking at that film, we still lost. And we deserved to lose," he said. "Our defense let us down yesterday, but really I don’t know if it was as much our defense letting us down as Peyton Manning and Co. beating us. No question they were outstanding."

Rex said he "definitely" wants WR Braylon Edwards back in Green & White. But he declined to say one way or the other on Kerry Rhodes, adding that he and his safety had a recent private conversation. "We’re the only ones who know what was said in there. It’s not a bad thing. … I’d rather just keep it individual."

Coaching Changes

Ryan said five coaches on this year’s staff won’t be continuing with the club for 2010. Assistant defensive backs coach Doug Plank won’t return. Three coaches have contracts that are expiring and won’t be renewed — Kevin O’Dea (special teams), John DeFilippo (assistant quarterbacks) and Brian Smith (quality control–defense). And Chuck Smith, who was a defensive consultant, is accepting the defensive line coach’s position at the University of Tennessee.

Jets-Colts: Ratings Grabber

The Jets-Colts game on CBS drew 46.9 million viewers to rank as the most-watched AFC Championship Game in 24 years. On Jan. 12, 1986, the Patriots’ 31-14 victory over the Dolphins in Miami on NBC drew 47.5 million viewers.

Tags: , , , , , ,

86 Responses to “Rex Challenges Players. Then Sends Them Off”

1. By MrJetGreen on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

It was an exciting run, thanks to the players, coaches, management and staff of the New York Jets.

2. By AOKP on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

i really wished vernon played better this season, but it looks like we have to trade him before or during the draft, and our safeties coverage play sometimes is a crying shame, that needs to get corrected, and we need another good corner, and a pass rusher, everyone know this….i just hope we get it done, im proud of what we accomplished this year, lets keep it goin…

3. By kimosabe on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

To Rex and the JETS team…Thanks for that thrilling ride!…We, the fans,see a bright future ahead…Go Jets!!

4. By Russell on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Randy, do you think the Jets will trade FS Kerry Rhodes? Also, what is your opinion on the development or lack there of of OLB Vernon Gholston? Can you give us an update on the health status of both Kris Jenkins and Leon Washington? Would you resign players like Tony Richardson, Marques Douglas and Howard Green? What do you think about the Jets lack of draft picks for this upcoming draft?

5. By JETS!! JETS!! JETS!! on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

I thought several years ago that Rex was overdue for a HC job and he has proven me right. Even though we didn’t advance to the SB, we have turned some heads, especially in our division. I believe that the Pats and Dolphins know we are the real deal. With this season over and the team knowing what Rex is all about and his philosophy, can’t wait to win it all next season. J! E! T! S! JETS! JETS!

6. By DannyBoy20 on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a Jets fan for many years and all I’ve heard is that the name Jets stands for “Just End The Season”. This year, EVERYONE, from the fans to the NFL have taken heed. The JETS are for real and we’re coming. Thank you guys for taking all this pain of losing all these years away. We are very close!! J! E! T! S! — JETS! JETS! JETS!

7. By carl on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Coach for the phone call. As a Jet fan this was one of the best years in while!!We’ll be back in the new stadium!! Can’t wait !! Go Jets!!!Mr. T this your time to shine !!!

8. By 3 rings on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

funny how Rex’s thinly veiled shots at the Giants arent mentioned… never hear that kind of cr*p out of Coughlin, its a shame b/c almost every Giants fan I know was pulling for the Jets… but now?? the fat man can go 2-14 next season for all we care… fact of life for every Jets coach, player, and fan is this will always be a Giants town, no matter whos name is on the front of the building…

9. By Gregg from CA on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

I just want to offer a simple Thank You to everyone for the ride this year. It ended sadly, but it has been exhilirating and entertaining in a way that few previous seasons have been. Cheers to the team, and to our web team as well – you guys rock!

10. By Dave paying fan! on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

OK so we did well this year, better than anyone could have asked for. I have a grievance however, and I hope that as a paying fan someone of someone reads these words and takes them to heart! We lost the AFC championship due to bad coaching in the second half plain and simple:
    1- Why on earth did we try to kick a 52 yard field goal when the Coltas had just scored? You PUNT there.

11. By Dave Paying fan! on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

2- Why did we stop the stand up defense in the second half?? What happened to the creative blitzing int he second half? In the beginning of the game there was that beautiful 2 man blitz that they showed in slow motion. Perfect- and Manning was sacked. What happened? Where was Rhodes with a blitz? Live by the blitz, die by the blitz. Why go away from your bread and butter??

12. By Dave paying fan! on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

And finally, and WORST OF ALL. Schottenheimer! What on earth was he thinking with the plays he called in the second half? The colts were on fire on offense and you lost Greene- how could you destroy our chances of winning the game by not throwing the ball downfield!! Edwards has a legitimate gripe!! The WHOLE world was saying the same thing- throw it downfield! SHOTTENHEIMER NEEDS TO GO!!!!!

13. By John Stone on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

God bless the Jets. What a ride. You gave all us fans hope and cheer. Let’s do it in 2010. Go Jets. Thank all of you. The Jets organization for a wonderful comeback in 2009.

14. By green on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Randy it looks like Kerry Rhodes days are numberd as jet . I think it would be great move he is always late on every play and he is not a pro bowler . Do you think he is worth anything in trade value ? Thomas Jones is a great player but up in age we can find better with younger legs to go with Green an Leon . Lowery and Lito please dont say a word just get lost please . No more weak links

15. By Zach on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Randy, who are our free agents this year?And who are going to be some top free agents from other teams? and from what I’m reading we need to give up a 1 and 3 for B.Edwards? Explain that situation more please?

16. By Zach on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

for 2010….K rhodes, B Thomas, D lowery need to go immediately. We need to draft or sign younger and better players at their respective positions as well as we need more depth at OL, those guys are getting older, A pass rushing DE another LB to play the middle for Harris and Scott, More consistent corners and a slot reciever! Lets get on the hunt for those boys!!!

17. By Jared on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

We have no reason to hang our heads this season. This is one of the most memorable seasons I have had the pleasure of watching as a fan. With Ryan at the helm, I have complete faith in the direction this team is heading. Sanchez definitely showed me something and cant wait to watch his progress with the rest of our young studs. No longer the same ol Jets, were now a team to be reckoned with.

18. By finkster on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

The loss was tough but the future is bright for the Jets and I haven’t said that in years. The key has been the outstanding drafting by Mike Tannenbaum which I know will continue in the future.

19. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Arguing for BE, deferring on KR, letting a few coaches go, all only a day after the loss in the AFC Championship. And that guy on the site who had a problem with talk of people being replaced and cut wonders why I’m anxious to go on the site every other day in the off-season?

20. By C Golden on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Rex Ryan is the best thing that has happened to the Jets in a very long time. I love his coaching style, and the players are responding to it. He is setting this team up for long term success. I can’t wait until next season. Go Jets!!!

21. By Ira on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to Shaun. I thought he had an outstanding year. Rex is so right about there are no guarantees. Thats why when you get this close it hurts. I still have a sick feeling in my stomach. But its better than yesterday. Rex has really started something great here. If they all take his advice and work harder to get better we will get to the big dance.

22. By Ira on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

bad part about the season ending is that you know changes will happen. I for one really think they should bring TJ back. You must have 3 RB’s in the NFL today. Sure the $ is an issue and he is a year older. But back to back 1400 yd 13/14 TD seasons is not something you get from any RB. Sure Greene has emerged as the featured back. Leon hopefully will be back as good as new.

23. By Ira on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

But TJ’s leadership is priceless. And this team is still very young pretty much across the board. Hope the two sides can work this out. For Kerry well i think he can still be a big player. He showed it the past 4 weeks. Just not sure if he is physical enough for Rex’s style. Edwards will be better next year. One thing is his run blocking is overlooked by most. Glad they will keep him. GO JETS!!!

24. By Joeinjapan on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Hell of a season i enjoyed every minute of it especially all the pouting faces of the charger fans i work with. Thanks boys lets get ready for round 2 next season!

25. By Randy Lange on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Russell, I did a Radar entry on both Jenkins and Washington on Monday. Both are very optimistic about being ready for the 2010 season. The lack of draft picks at this time doesn’t bother me because the picks we spent were used well to bring in talent for this team and there are ways to increase the number of picks in the next three months before the draft. I remain optimistic on Gholston’s future. I don’t know what will happen with Rhodes. And sure, I would re-sign those three if they wanted to return, but I’m not a personnel expert and my opinion on that subject is immaterial.

26. By larrybiv on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

WOW! 46.9 million viewers! How much ya’ wanna bet there were at least 30 million vociferously or secretly cheering on the underdog JETS? U can best believe the CBS’s, NBC’s, the NFL Network, and ESPN’s of the world……will surely take notice on how “good a team/show” they will be putting on for years to come.
    JETSIES NO MORE!

27. By Randy Lange on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Zach, we don’t have a list of potential Jets free agents yet. That has to come from the front office. Many newspapers will have lists that you can refer to. As for Braylon Edwards, teams retain restricted free agents by tendering them at certain salary levels. In the past, the top tender has required teams to send first- and third-round picks in exchange for signing the player to an offer sheet. Virtually all players tendered at that level re-sign with their former teams.

28. By Joe on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

For years our football seasons as JETS fans have been over way to early, but this year always had a different feel to it. Thanks to Rex , his staff and the players for giving us JETS fans a reason to be proud of the Green and White once again. I wish it was August already…. J! E! T! S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!

29. By Ira on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Think ahead and just guessing the Jets are a lock to get 3-4 night games. I think the Giants will open @home the first Sunday and the Jets will open the season @home Monday Night against Balt or the Pats or possibly the Vikes if Favre commits to Minny before the schedule is put together.

30. By Maryann on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

This was an amazing ride. Rex made us all believe in the power of positive thinking. For the first time in a long time, the fans can’t wait for next season and can take heart in the off season that we have one hell of a team!

31. By Blake on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

What an exciting season. I will wear the Green and White all summer long. I am so proud to be a Jets fan. I wore Green and White the next day after the loss to the Colts because I believe in this team and am proud of this team. Next year the AFC Championship game runs through the New JETS STADIUM. Have a great summer Coaches, Players and Fans and get ready for 2010, Gang Green is coming!!!!

32. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Disagree with ya on most counts here, Ira. It’s sad about Jets who’ll be leaving but fun to contemplate who we might pick up. TJ would be fine as a back-up but we have to get and start younger RBs, it’s not a given Leon will make it. KR looks great sometimes but he’s awfully slow at that position in both speed and quickness. I hope KC can sign with SEA back near his home turf and start over there.

33. By Gary C on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

good rotation next year at tackle Jenkins, Devito, Pouha.I still believe in moving Lowery to safety in place of rhodes.Gholston needs to stop pumping iron and become more flexible in upper body.Please talk to Martz about becoming offensive coordinator with this team.

34. By Frank on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Ira you are right about TJ and I made the comments earlier this year. TJ’s value to the team is much greater than just his on field production. He wore down at the end of the year and I won’t be surprised to hear he needs some surgery soon. We need all three backs next season and spread the load to keep everyone fresh. The Giants were a different team this year without Ward…lesson learned.

35. By Frank on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Rex is dead on in his assessment that we needs a more balanced approach on offense. That is a direct challenge to Sanchez to step it up. While he has grown and showed great promise during the playoffs he will need to show he can carry the team like the best QB’s do. Tommy 64 I disagree with your assessment on our recievers as Favre showed last year with less. Having said Tanwoody should do all..

36. By Frank on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

…they can to get Marshall from the Broncos who I am sure will be traded this offseason. We also need a pass rusher and another solid corner on defense. Sheppard and Strickland played well but were hurt too often and that more than anything killed us in this game and a few others. We need physical durable players in the secondary.

37. By BLINKAopinesagain on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

How many times to I have to post this. We need to improve the D-line

38. By Ira on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Tom, TJ taking less carries would be perfect along with Greene and Leon. Problem is what TJ wants and what the Jets are willing to pay. Don’t forget about C. Washngton who is still on the roster.
    Frank, Glad you agree with me on TJ. Hutch reported that Faneca is due a 7 million $ roster bonus in March. Now thats something to keep on eye on. Don’t mess with this o-line right now.

39. By Paul on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m a life long Jets fan in Canada. What I know is: It always felt like the Jets were over their head. I’m waiting for the sky to fall ” what’s going to happen this time?” I feel differently with Rex! I feel a different wind blowing in Jet land. We have the beginnings of something special it starts with swagger from Rex. We have a warrior mentality and preperation I haven’t seen since Tuna!!!

40. By BLINKAopinesagain on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

How many times to I have to post this. We need to improve the D-line

41. By scjoe on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

I don’t believe WR is a top priority this off season. BE will be retained (for at least one year) Cotchery is a beast, and they need to continue to develop Clowney and Allison, factor in Woodhead, Britt Davis and Henry, and can’t see why anyone would possibly scream WR! I think pass rusher (OLB/DE) CB and OL depth in that order, also a punter with a big leg down the line. Can’t wait til Sept.

42. By scjoe on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Ira, have to disagree with you on Faneca. The Jets will run a more balanced offense next season and pass blocking is not his strength, factor in his age, and 7mil is just not going to happen. Hopefully Slauson can step up, or an agreement is reached with Faneca. Let’s not forget that Leon, and B Smith’s contracts need to be addressed. As for TJ, I don’t see a huge drop off if he is not here.

43. By scjoe on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Dave paying fan, in theory you are right, but don’t you think that the Colts began rolling coverage to Edwards once he caught that long pass? The problem is, there is no other deep threat besides BE, every week, either Woodhead or Clowney is inactive, and the one who is active sees very little playing time. I have said all season long that a deep threat must be on the field, and used most times.

44. By scjoe on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

I don’t see K Rhodes being back next season. I think with E Smith and Ihedigbo (providing he can harness some of that aggressiveness) they are ok there. Those who talk about Lowery moving to safety, just don’t think that will happen. Hopefully, they can package Rhodes with their top pick, move up and get a top OLB/DE or a CB. Go do your thing Mr T

45. By TMac on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

How many of you enjoy watching a game hoping: A) Sanchez doesn’t throw the ball away? B) Hoping the defense gets a turnover so we can score more than 14 points? C) we can generate 250 yds of total offense? D) the other team throws to D.Revis’ man? E) that the other team’s kicker got a death threat and misses 3 field goals? Let’s face it…we want to be entertained while we win! GO JETS!

46. By John on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

I believe that Greene has shown that he can handle the load. I feel that the Jet’s will let TJ go for money purposes. I think Vernon is going to get the ax because he has certainly not performed to what was expected from him. The O line needs to stay put. They are the best in football. Say goodbye to Kerry. Greast job Rex!

47. By Ira on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

scjoe,
    I think they will end up restructuring Faneca’s deal. Leon and Mizzou are both RFA’s and will get one year tender offers. So i don’t see that as a problem. Slauson shows promise and probably needs 1 more year before he is ready to step in and start. TJ no drop off? Sure Greene looks like a stud but we need depth and TJ would be great to have to split time with Greene and Leon.

48. By serge on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

My wish list 4 the jets this off season, The D we need an edge pass rusher that is good with run stop, another Revis at corner, and a troy polamalu type SS. The O we need another big receiver or a Chrebet type slot receiver or both. And a possible replacement for T.Jones. I think time and injuries is taking it’s toll on T.J. trade him a year to early than a year to late get something for him

49. By tampajet on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

the football game was closer than we get credit.loosing our safty and shoan green did us in.that changed the game plan.rhodes needs to go in this D wee n eed a play making safty not a safe safty.DE, SAFTY,CORNER should take the best avaliable player at either spot.

50. By Donal on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Dave paying fan’s assessment of the terrible coaching on both sides of the ball in the second half of the game. It is unacceptable that we came out on fire in the first half and then failed to matriculate the ball down the field and scored zero points in the second half. We continually gave the ball back to Manning and paid the price. Five coaches left the team-Schotty has to be #6.

51. By serge on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

trade these players while we can get some value 4 them T.Jones( a R.B. that doesn’t hit the turf at first contact),S.Ellis(younger and stronger that can pressure the QB an run stop), B.Thomas(OLB that can edge rusher), K.Rhodes(a Polamalu type), V.Gholston(get rid of him unless he’s improving) and L.Sheppard(he is not that good,to much, and we need another Revis) get picks 4 them or replace them

52. By Frank on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Ira I am certain Faneca will rework his contract there is no way they pay the bonus and he is not going to get that money somewhere else. Having said that no way do we cut or lose him he was and is tremendous in the run game. As for TJ same thing he is not going to get any big contract offers and will renegotiate a new contract both will be back next year take it to the bank.

53. By IRISH JET on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

I HAVE BEEN HEARING THAT LITO,STRICKLAND,AND RHODES WON’T BE BACK, I HOPE TO GOD THAT VERNON GHOLSTON IS A PART OF THAT LIST AS WELL.

54. By 37 year fan on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Man , we came close . This one hurts. We were dukin’ out with the best of em. We were 30 minutes away. Going to need some time to heal .

55. By will on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

great season by the JETS, we got our young guys playoff experience which will be huge going into the future. What the Jets need is a hard hitting safety that can intimidate the WR and some depth on th O and D -line and i would keep TJ for leadership. Also i would let Clemens leave and bring back Chad Pennington to backup and mentor Sanchez as he develops. Jets all the way in 2010

56. By Howie D on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Kerry should be back! Which game has he lost for us? Lito is the problem in the secondary and must be replaced. Despite having his confidence shaken, Kerry still had picks, made tackles and came up big with onside kick vs. Chargers, and more. Sometimes I wonder if some of you are really watching the games. Kerry is the least of our problems, he’s a big-time player, and will come back even better.

57. By Jimmy on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

I gotchu, Rex! Today was my first day back to class since the loss Sunday & I proudly wore my Sanchez jersey. What an amazing season. Can’t wait to get the combine/draft going so we can get a look at who else we’ll bring into this teams bright future.

58. By Ed in Tucson on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

I think that the Jets will be more successful luring FAs to play for them because of Rex’s way of dealing with players; they love to play for him. I hoped that we could take TJ to the SB before sending him on his way; maybe we can get 4th & 6th rd picks for him. It’s clear that we need more depth at every position, except QB. KC will be gone, VG & KR too. Can’t wait to see what Mr T will do.GOJETS

59. By Howie D on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

‘A bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush.’ TJ is a 1000+ rusher and still has fuel in the tank. Why lose him? RB position is solid & deep. We have a SB caliber team that only needs fine tuning. First, we need a better corner opposite Revis, then pass rusher, depth at LB, PR/KR, better #2 QB, better Schotty. Address those needs and as Rex said, “Come back even better” and it’s a done deal!

60. By dpelJETS on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

this was one of the best seasons weve had in a long time .. changing the secondary up will help us alot but leonard and revis carryd it with that i feel we definatly need to trade rhodes gholston and jones and get eaither money or 3 solid corners and safties signing edwards would be big too .. great season rex!

61. By AZ Jet Fan on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

We need to keep Thomas Jones. He is consistant, a workhorse, a leader, the RB who didn’t get hurt this year.
    Also a solid corner to compliment Revis.

62. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Ira, if TJ wants too much he’ll be gone. Frank, I think the reason some of us SUGGEST WR is ’cause the Jets have a bad habit of not giving promising guys a shot. I’ve been “screaming” for MH to get his for 2 years and I’ll be surprised if DC and AA really get theirs. The jury’s out on whether Rex can change the pattern of drafting good guys, then panicking and signing some old, over-the-hill FA.

63. By Ray on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey 3 rings, I don’t, and I’m sure Rex doesn’t care if he stepped on your little toes. He isn’t here to make Giants fans happy. He’s pumping us up and we love it. Imagine if you had played in “Jets Stadium” for all these years…. Your damn skippy we are going to be proud when we kickoff in OUR stadium next year. And we don’t care if it’s a Giants town, our goal is the SB not the city.

64. By phillip darden on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Jets first of all. I took so much heat over this season by me being from baltimore and love the jets. I think rex did a fantastic job with the defence and think we lacked a better pass rusher and cornerback that can cover and have better awarness(Lowery was playing catch up all game and Lito looked lost). Maybe even another explosive wr to compliment braylon and cotchery. Hell of a season

65. By Cliff on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

E.Smith and Inehd can’t cover Rhodes Jock..Expect Rex to bring in another big time Safety..Rhodes was soft this year and bad in pass coverage. I never realized how bad he really was. Great at charging the QB but he can’t cover to save his life. He and Lito and Lowery are all likely gone I bet..Lowery to small, gets burned, Lito to slow, gets burned A LOT.

66. By cliff on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Gholston? Randy um no. LOL. You don’t want him back. He’s a waste. Trade him for a 5th rounder. Any 5th rdr prolly has more talent. Gholston, Tjones, Rhodes, Lowery, Lito, Ellis should all go. Bring back Edwards, give Flaxico a shot..2 6 ft 4 or 5 inch guys with keller and Cotch? Ellis is old, slow..Time to get bigger and younger at the Dline..I’ll let everyone know my predictions in Apr

67. By Ira on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Frank, I agree with both. Dearth,T-Rich and Feely all have to get signed since they can sign their own UFA’s. Randy,Aren’t the Jets due for an HOF Preseason Game? And i wouldn’t be surprised if the Jets play in Detroit on Thanksgiving.

68. By Tom Spicer on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Braylon, Leon, Smith will all get a 1 year tender & be back. TJ is under contract & will be back as well we need all 3 RB’S if we dont bring 1 back then 1 of them gets hurt we are in big trouble. As far as the players who wont be back the only person who I think wont be back that matters is Rhodes. He is not a Ryan type guy I dont think he is in there plans.

69. By Tom Spicer on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Guys keep coming on the site saying we need a WR I do not see that. We are fine at the position we just need Mark to get better in his 2nd year & with a full off season with the team I think Braylon will be much better we got him after the 4th game. No OTA’S, no training camp nothing also Cotchery miss 3 or 4 games as well. Next year the passing game will be better we need to work on the D.

70. By Tom Spicer on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Our biggest need is a pass rushing OLB to replace Bryan Thomas not that he is a bad player or a bad guy. But we need someone who can get to the QB which is what Gholston was supposed to be. If you get to the QB it covers the holes in the secondary. Pace had 8 sacks in 12 games I think he can get 10 sacks next year but we need a guy with 10 sack potential opposite him.

71. By Adele on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I’m proudly wearing my Jets gear…yesterday I walked into the gym with my white & green jersey…go Jets!! :)

72. By Tom Spicer on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I am not sure why we benched Lito in the Colt game I thought he played well this year. Also him getting benched in that game says he is not in there long term plans. Lowery has proved over the course of these last 2 years he is not the guy we need opposite Revis he is a nickel back at best mabye a dime back. & Strickland is always hurt. So our #2 need is a corner back big time!

73. By Tom Spicer on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Our #3 need is a saftey Kerry is a goner & Smith is weak in coverage I think we should target Taylor Mays in the draft he is not like Kerry who does not want to hit. Taylor Mays lays guys out we need that type of guy where WR’S do not want to go over the middle. We pick in the end of the 1st round if MR. T doesnt see a pass rushing OLB or a stud corner & if he doesnt trade up this is a guy we get

74. By charles hofsaes on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

TY so much for giving me back my PRIDE….i have been a season tix holder since 1965…many good years really but this present org. starting wit the owner…mr T…coach and players…indeed the future looks bright for 10 + yrs..PASSION will bring success and MR REX you bring it!….ty again and PTL…praise the lord

75. By andy pivarnik on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Next year the JETS should have Goldstien put on a few pounds and put his at D end wher he exceled at the Ohio State. He has talent and skills , just missing the right location.

76. By Anthony on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I already wear my Jets stuff during the week alot. When I am the gym, Chilling, running errands. So with that being said I am proud of this year REALY PROUD. And can’t wait till next year. Don’t have the same crap feeling of “same old jets” right now. Hopefully we can keep it up. J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

77. By Eddie V on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Great year! Lets keep this group together and win a ring!

78. By mr. Green on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Why would anybody think Taylor Mays is going to be available at #29. He will be gone in the first 10.

79. By scjoe on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Ira, I know that both Leon and B Smith are RFA, but should the FO determine that Leon is back 100% he needs a long term deal, same is true for B Smith (I also believe he needs more touch’s) That is why I don’t see Faneca getting that 7mil. As for TJ? I know he still has one year, but with Greene, Leon, and Chauncy W, and maybe a mid rounder, they will be fine, and save some cap space.

80. By Ron on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Jet fan for over 40 years.Its been years that I feel good about next year but this time I do.Rex Ryan is the Man.

81. By Tom Spicer on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

MR. Green, I have looked at many mock drafts not 1 of them have Taylor Mays going in the top 10 not 1!

82. By Tom Spicer on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Also Eric Barry Saftey (Tenn) is going in the top 10 there is NO WAY Taylor Mays go ahead of him. Taylor Mays goes no higher than 15 period!

83. By Mr. Green on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Tom Spicer, Do you think he will be there at #29. I don’t.

84. By Steve on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

The Jets organization and Jets fans are in a great position right now, best since 1998. Wish the next season started the weekend after the SB. Can’t wait!

85. By Mr. Green on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Tom Spicer, Are you that naive that you believe in Mock Drafts. Especially all the way down at # 29. They are just what they say they are Mock !

86. By Tom Spicer on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

MR. Green, Yes I think there is a very good chance that he goes late in the 1st round & no higher than 20. I watch college ball alot & I can tell you why he will go after 20. I would love to hear why you think he is going in the top 10 because there is ZERO chance of that. Also You must not look at the mock draftS because most of them are right on point. Sorry YOU LOSE NEXT!