• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

RFA Tenders: WR Edwards at 1-and-3 Level

Posted by Eric Allen on March 4, 2010 – 12:11 pm

The New York Jets announced today that they will tender contract offers to eight of their 11 restricted free agents.

As previously stated by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, WR Braylon Edwards was given the highest possible tender at first-round and third-round draft selections as potential compensation.

The Jets also placed second-round tenders on RB Leon Washington and WR Brad Smith, original-round tenders on S Eric Smith and T Wayne Hunter (who both entered the NFL as third-rounders) and an original-round tender on S James Ihedigbo. The “Dig” tender will give the club right of first refusal because Ihedigbo, a Massachusetts product, originally entered the league as an undrafted free agent.

Cornerback Drew Coleman was also given an original-round tender, which for him would be sixth-round compensation.

Backup QB Kellen Clemens, a second-round pick out of Oregon in 2006, was given an original tender. But RFA rules state that because the Jets used at least one second-round tender (on both Brad Smith and Washington), they cannot receive second-round compensation for Clemens. If another team signs Clemens to an offer sheet and the Jets elect not to match that offer, the Jets will get that team’s third-round pick.

The Jets could have tendered Clemens at the second-round level, but the tender figure for second-round compensation is higher than for original-round compensation.

Wideout Wallace Wright, LB Marques Murrell and DT Howard Green all had their contracts expire, were not tendered by the Jets, and will become free agents at midnight tonight. The Jets will receive no compensation if any of those three signs with another club.

Restricted Free Agent Seasons Compensation Level
 WR Braylon Edwards 5 1st- and 3rd-round picks
 RB/KR Leon Washington 4 2nd-round pick
 WR Brad Smith 4 2nd-round pick
 QB Kellen Clemens 4 Original draft round (3rd)*
 S Eric Smith 4 Original draft round (3rd)
 T Wayne Hunter 5 Original draft round (3rd)
 CB Drew Coleman 4 Original draft round (6th)
 S James Ihedigbo 3 Original draft round (FA)
 DT Howard Green 5 Not tendered
 LB Marques Murrell 3 Not tendered
 WR Wallace Wright 3 Not tendered

*Drafted in second round but compensation would be third-round pick.

For the tender figures for each player, you can go to NFLLabor.com and scroll to the Feb. 19 entry on Tenders for Restricted Free Agents.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 43 Comments »

43 Responses to “RFA Tenders: WR Edwards at 1-and-3 Level”

1. By uncle joe on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Leon’s tender is just so he can go out and realize no one is gonna give him more than 4 mil a year.If they do,we can match it anyway!He wants Jones-Drew money,but as great as he is he is not MJD,that dude is the whole offense!If Leon didn’t switch agents this deal would’ve been done along time ago.He already lost out on about 3.5 mil last year & if he has to play at his tender this year he’ll lose atleast 2 more mil,5.5 mil he will never recoup,Great agent,keep tweetin!

2. By zach ezman on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

is it just me or does it seem like the jets org. is trying to trade everyplayer that helped us in the post season, ( Smith, Edwards, Jones,Washington*) lets just start from scratch and rebuild after we went to the AFC champ game

3. By Ira on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Good to hear they are trying to re-sign TJ. This is so much like what happened with Moore last year. Please get this done.

4. By Cronin on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Don’t think I fully understand the whole system but one would think that someones gonna offer a second round pick for Leon. That scares me because if he leaves than we pretty much have 1 HB with 1 year experience. Why would they do that? Or am I confused

5. By Tom Spicer on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

A 1 & a 3 for Braylon means he is a Jet for sure no one is giving that up. You could get Brandon Marshall for just a 1. Also just a 2nd for Leon I think this has to do with the injury because I would have put a 1st on him when he was a stud for us.

6. By Chris on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I need someone to give me a full detailed description of this whole Final Eight teams not being able to sign free agents. I know they can sign a free agent only if they lose one, but does that mean that they can sign a player if they cut a player (like Thomas Jones) or can they only replace a player who decides to leave via free agency?

7. By kendrick jay on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Leon and Wright are gonna sign with Mangini, guaranteed. They are both invaluable on special teams and great soldiers as well. I am a little nervous about our inability to sign any FA’s but i have faith in this administration. If the kerry rhodes for anquan boldin rumor is true, gotta pull the trigger

8. By Ray on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

No tender at all for Wallace Wright? That is baffling, he was at times our best ST guy. I can see teams taking Smith and Smith off our hands, and I’m HOPING someone takes Coleman. Hell, I’d send Dan Snyder twenty bucks to take him!! I would be surprised to see a team give up a 2nd to take a chance on Leon, that was a bad injury, but…..you never know. Ole BB might be thinking addition by subtraction.

9. By Eric Allen on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Chris, the signing restrictions for “Final Four” teams applies only to unrestricted free agents. Thomas Jones is not a UFA because he was released, so the Saints, Colts and Vikings could sign him now, as the Jets could sign, for example, LaDainian Tomlinson now. Jones’ release means nothing for the Jets in terms of being able to sign UFAs beginning at midnight tonight.

10. By Ed in Tucson on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

If the Jets sign Mike Bell, that’ll give him a chance to reunite with his former Arizona teammate, Nick Folk; I’d like to see that. Maybe they can add another Wildcat, Rob Gronkowski, a beast of a TE – you can never have enough of those. Yes, he’s recuperating from back surgery, therefor a risk;but he’s got all the tools & worth a late round gamble if he’s available.

11. By Nick on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I don’t believe there’s any way the Jets would have released Thomas Jones unless they were already sure they had a done deal with Leon Washington. For a team that’s going to be so dependent on the running game, they have to be pretty darn sure Leon is healthy and signable before letting TJ go. It’s very much the same situation the Giants faced last year with their three quality backs; unfortunately, it blew up in their faces when Jacobs had such a poor year, and Ward was no longer available.

12. By Jon on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

This doesn’t mean that teams can give a draft pick for any of these RFAs. If any team offers a contract to any of these players, the Jets have a chance to match it. If they match the offer, we keep the player. If we decide not to match the offer, then we receive the other team’s draft pick as compensation. Leon isn’t going anywhere. I would love to see us pick Wright back up, he is a ST stud, but was no wide receiver.

13. By Row on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I wouldn’t be suprized to see Leon coming back to exceptional form. I would take Murrel over VG every single day, and we’d save some money which matters little this year. Wright has been a star on an injury ridden ST’s team that also was juggled around by Rex. Just a solid guy. It would be like us releasing Dearth. Folk is not the guy, he’s a poor indoor kicker who blamed 7 or 8 misses on the holder and then misses again. Nugent anyone? Who’s gonna be the new punter? Go Jets Re-sign TJ

14. By Row on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I know that a select few in the front office hate age, but TO would be a publicity stunt that I would really enjoy here in NYC. I would be the first to buy his jersey. Anyone else want TO? Remember, we did go after BE.

15. By Mike S. on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I really hope that they aren’t planning to get rid of Leon. Especially now that Jones is being let go (which I don’t think is a very good idea) we will be left with 1 RB. Please don’t let Leon slip away to someone like the Patriots (God forbid). Bellicik has THREE second round picks in his pocket and I wouldn’t doubt that he will make an offer to Leon. If the Pats end up with Leon then…well I don’t know what I will do. Please hold on to Leon. He’s gong to have a breakout season next year!

16. By Michael on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Benagls release coles, maybe our slot wr, but i really like clowney and they should use him more in the slot.anyone else have any ideas can’t wait for the Free agency tom

17. By MIKE DAYEM on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

THE NEWYORK JETS NEED TO WAKE UP THEY HAVE TO GO FOR DB IN ARIZIONA CARDS WHO GOT CUT FROM THEM AND GO FOR WR RECIVER FROM DENVER AND MAKE A TRADE WITH THEM HIS NAME IS MARSHAL AND DB WHO GOT CUT FROM ARZIONA CARDS HIS NAME IS ARTLE ROLE AND GET A GOOD RUNNING BACK FROM CAL HE RUN 4.3 SPEED

18. By daniel on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

leon better stay with the jets . if he leavs they have no chance. green can use his help so can sanchez.

19. By MIKE DAYEM on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

HI MY NAME IS MIKE DAYEM REX RYAN NEED TO WAKE UP HE NEED GO AFTER ANTREL ROLLE FROM ARIZONA CARDS HE GOOD DB WE NEED HIM AND TALK TO DENVER FROM BRENDAN MARSHAL WR RECVER HE GOOD HE PERFECT FORM TEAM PS WE A GOOD RUNNING BACK LIKE KIDS IN CAL HE GOOD HE RUNNING 4.3 SPEED OR GO FOR NORTEDAM WR RECIVER

20. By Leons the MAN on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

How can you release Wallace Wright? This guy is a demon on special teams-always around the ball-very hard to replace

21. By scjoe on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Well, I guess Murrell will wind up a star in Cleveland. How do you tender Drew Coleman but not Marcus Murrell? As for KC, I would be surprised to see anyone offer even a third rounder. Leon? I can see someone (NE) giving him an offer for a 2. Randy/Eric, you didn’t answer my question in the previous post about giving a physical to Leon if an offer is made.

22. By scjoe on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I was never a big Laveranues Coles fan, but since he has been released there is another option at WR. He knows the offense and he shouldn’t be that costly (or forget about it) I will go along with anything that don’t require using a #1 on a WR.

23. By Kwong Liu on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I think we should of traded brad smith (even though he was great at the wild cat),
    Kellen Clemens, and Wayne Hunter for Brandon Marshall.
    Denver does need a qb and wr.

24. By scjoe on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

If Feely doesn’t resign, and Murrell and Wright get other offers, I can see the STs taking a big hit. And God help us if B Smith is lost as well, I think Westoff will have a nervous breakdown. Row, if the price was right, I wouldn’t mind seeing TO in green and white for one year. I think if he is used right, he could pay dividends, but only for a one year bargain price.

25. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Smart move the way they tendered KC, this way they might actually get something for him. I don’t know why some folks are surprised that Rex is playing hardball with guys who are getting older, have been seriously hurt, or are overpaid. He knows as well as we do that if the team isn’t a lot better and younger in, say, 2 yrs, he’s probably history, at least the way some NY fans act. I love WW on ST but when you see a guy like him not tendered, you remember what the bigger picture is — or should.

26. By Bernard Derosia on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I understand letting Leon go…I mean even fresh off injury theres no guarantee his leg will be the same as it was..he can command a decent offer from another team. My problem is them letting TJ go…hes a premier running back, the best in the league in my opinion. Use him with Shonn Greene and you have the best running game in the league.

27. By larry kroplin on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

1 really good DE for outside pass rush is needed most i think. peppers would be best.

28. By JET STRONG on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

THE JETS have to many eggs in one basket in the back field .the young rihno GREEN ,speedy gonzales WASHINGTON ,and the bull JONES that can pick any blits. Dont forget we need a pass rushers also that can bet anyone one on one to overload the backfield with D MEN ON CASIO FULL HOUSE BLITS CALLED !!

29. By Rob on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

yo we beter keep leon nd brad smith

30. By Ray on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

@ Larry Kroplin, we have no chance at Peppers. Az cut Rolle, he could be a good saftey if we trade Rhodes. Jamaal Williams and Kassim Osgood (good ST guy) were cut by SD so we could sign them. We have alot of options out there. NO T.O. thank you very much, we don’t need that kind of drama.

31. By Kevin on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I would love peppers but we cant get him untl someone signs one of our FA ( one of the new rules : the last 8 teams of playoffs have restrictions on FA)we need to keep washington Greene is good but i dont know if he can do it all we could use a WR also. cromartie pick up i lik as well

32. By kevin on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

bring back coles, again?? he was released by Cin

33. By bob on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

What about James Dearth ????

34. By Sherwin on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I am loving the Cromartie trade all we need is a safety and Coles back in green an white.

35. By Peter on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Look we’ll probably lose all these guys since the wildcat and speedy RB ar ein vogue. Clemmens could go to a numbe rof teams and be their started while they groom a rookie. I fully support bringing back Pennington and Coles for depth and leadership, maybe Coles can teach Braylon to catch the damn ball.

36. By Jeremy on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Hello, Wallace Wright, special teams stud, really? Did Westhoff have any say in this matter? What about Murrell too, I’d take him over VG any day!

37. By agurino on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I like the Cromartie trade but we really can’t afford to lose Leon and Braylon we need some sort of offensive strength. I think Coles could be a good Slot guy if we pick up him up. But , I would rather draft a wr .

38. By Jøe aka Staten on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

TJ + LW was great. TJ + SG was great. Anybody else want to know what LW + SG is? It stinks that LW got injured, he was one of my favorite players. We should give him a chance and see how he does. He’s one of the smartest players out there. Anybody remember a couple of seasons ago on a kick return, he placed one foot out of bounds and then picked up the ball? penalty on kicking team? I think we should get him back, I like the Cro pick up, and lets hope that Sanchez doesn’t have a sophomore slump.

39. By Cooolone on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Weak at WR, I can see protecting BE, but he didn’t really do anything to prove himself this year. Too many drops in critical plays, IMHO. But someone wants him, they gotta pony up. I hope maybe with another camp he’ll come around cause he’s got great legs, but terrible hands. Now with Crom picking up #2 receivers next to Revis, why do we need a pass rusher? I think money and picks are better spent building up the Offense, specifically a solid target for Sanchez! I love this move by MT & Rex!

40. By Harney County Girl on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

totally agreeing with Kwong here. Get Kellen OUT of NY. The guy is going to be a fantastic quarterback, but NOT in NY. Let the man go do what he’s good at.

41. By Keith B. on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I used to think the NY Jets would do better with me as the GM,that notion has been removed since MT arrived. The team was built right,from the O-line and is not losing talent without getting something back I feel BE needs a vision exam, He makes some awesome catches then drops some passes I could catch? He makes the team better no doubt and the full year with MS will benefit all. Losing TJ and LS ;gaining AC will help the DB’s,I would sign PT(former Saint) ,bring LC back and go from there! SB

42. By d rodgers on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Green is a powerhouse and much needed but L.Washington is speedy with a lot of skill to bring to the team. If he is health i say keep the man.

43. By dea1019 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

It’s time the Jets really groom Ainge as the guy who Wins Games, wins his teammates over, bringing us back in the opportunities hes had, he looks excellent. He’s very intelligent, he’s big, athletic, nimble and clever in the pocket, quick accurate arm and an easy flick on a rope for 30-50 yards deep out, go routes, etc. Plus he makes all his passing attempts throwing the ball down or at least flat, which keeps the ball out of the air so long. MS has to arc many routine posts,etc Ainge Wins Games