• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

Antonio Takes a Look Around His New Home

Posted by Eric Allen on March 9, 2010 – 6:00 pm

Antonio Cromartie got his fresh start started this week with a visit to the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

“It’s been great, just getting around and meeting a lot of the guys,” Cromartie told me in an on-camera interview that will be featured on newyorkjets.com. “I got a chance to look at the weightroom and tour the whole facility. My first day here has been great. I had the chance to run into Kris Jenkins and Mark [Sanchez]. I’m looking forward to going against Mark in the spring and going into training camp.”

The 6’2”, 203-pound Cromartie is as lanky as they come and owns a pair of huge hands. Appearing trim in a striped button-down shirt and jeans, he shared with us the conversation he had with Jenkins.

“When it’s time to work, it’s time to work,” said he said of the nose tackle’s remarks. “We joke around a lot and that’s what it’s all about. A person has to be comfortable, have fun and not be too tight. It’s the same game we played when we were 5 years old."

But Cromartie, who will turn just 26 on April 15 and once again will don his customary No. 31, this time as a Jet, plans on being wise off the field at his second professional stop after four seasons in San Diego.

“Being around different teammates and being more of a professional on an off the field and taking care of business when it’s supposed to be taken care of and approaching everything the right way,” he said. “That’s what I mean by a change of scenery and a fresh start. It’s a new Antonio Cromartie and an Antonio Cromartie people can expect to see for years to come.”

A Tallahassee, Fla., native, Cromartie was raised by his mother, Cassandra Gardner, and he still remains very close to her today.

“I grew up in a single-parent home with four kids. I grew up in the projects. It was hard. My mom worked two or three or jobs at a time, so I love her to death for everything she did,” he said. “My biggest thing is trying to help out as much as I can. I try to talk to her every single day, sometimes twice a day, to make sure everything is going all right at home and my brothers and sister are fine.”

But as a highly publicized father of seven children in five different states, Cromartie is handling some child support issues and he intends on becoming a better dad.

“I love my kids to death. I actually just got full custody of one of my oldest kids like two months ago, so he’s staying with me now,” he said. “Seeing him and being around him every day is a great experience.”

Playing opposite the NFL’s best corner in Darrelle Revis, Cromartie figures to get a lot of balls his way next season in a defensive system that features press/man coverage. Having intercepted 10 balls for the Chargers in 2007, Cromartie sounds like a player ready to man up on and off the field.

“I love that. Talking to Coach Ryan and Coach P [Pettine], we just want to come in and play the way we’re supposed to play and have fun with it and enjoy it,” he said. “This is a defense that I’m going to love to come in and be able to play in. I’m just looking forward to helping out the best way I can.”

Comings and Goings

According to published reports, the Jets will play host to former Cleveland S Brodney Pool on Wednesday. The 6’2”, 210-pound Pool was not tendered a contact by the Brownies, so he’s free to sign with any club he chooses without compensation. The 25-year-old Pool had a career-high four interceptions last season and has 11 over the course of five pro seasons.

Indianapolis CB Marlin Jackson is also reported to be visiting the Jets after stopping for visits with Baltimore and Philadelphia.

It also appears that RB Thomas Jones has reached an agreement with the Kansas City Chiefs. Jones had a great three-year run with the Jets, culminating with a career-high 1,402 yards and a career-high 14 rush touchdowns in 2009.

Wallace Wright, an excellent specials teams performer during his Jets tenure, reportedly has inked a deal with the Carolina Panthers. Wright, who was an RFA the Jets didn’t tender, is a Fayetteville, N.C., native and played his college ball with the Tar Heels.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 48 Comments »

48 Responses to “Antonio Takes a Look Around His New Home”

1. By Emmanuel on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

The jets should go for Tomlinson, Greene can’t power himself through the entire season, and Leon Washington has a 2nd round tender on his head, which many teams are apparently interested in giving up for him. Sign LT, to help greene, and keep Washington on special teams.

2. By VAjetsFAN on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Whats going on? we just lost TJ and Rhodes, i know leon and BEAZY aren’t going anywhere. RIGHT? what are we going to do for S and RB holes? I don’t think brodney pool is going to cut it considering he got cut by a terrible browns team. we need Westbrook or LT we can sign them since they were cut. With our line i think they either one would shine. Mr. T please make me a happy jets fan again. THANKS

3. By scjoe on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

First off, it is hard for me to believe that AC is 203 lbs. I don’t see him being anymore then 185-190. The STs have taken a big hit these last 10-12 months, losing Leon (KR) Leonard (PR) 2009, Trusnik, now Wallace Wright, Murrell, Feely, maybe Brad Smith as well. That is something to be concerned about, I hope when they bring people in they keep that in mind. Please fellow Jet fans, no more talk about giving up our #1 for a WR, even for Marshall, to many more pressing needs with that pick.

4. By Mack99 on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Considering that kick off and punt coverage were a weakness last year, I hope we get some solid special teams guys to fill the void of Wright and Izzo.

5. By Big O on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I really hope we didn’t get to excited about this free agency thing and kick ourselves in the butt, I am a strong believer in “If it aint broke dont fix it”! As far as Kerry Rhodes is concerned, that might have worked out alright, I am a Kerry Rhodes fan, but I can see him trying to be to flashy off the field that took its toll on the team on the field. But Thomas Jones was a great loss, and a loss of motivation in the locker room and gym.

6. By Ira on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Well TJ got every penny i thought he would 2 ys 5 mill but from the wrong team. This will hurt big time. Great Jet and wish him the best. Read T-Rich isn’t coming back either. Great a whole new backfield for a still very raw QB. Pool would be a nice p/u and he is best remembered for pushing Baker out of bounds in the endzone when the refs blew a TD call that would’ve tied the game in 06. Jets seem to be in a cost saving mode maybe for some of their younger stars down the line.

7. By Jetsman on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Brodney Pool, he seems like a good safety. But why did we not go after anybody else, like Ryan Clark (who plays in a similar Steelers defense), or Darren Sharper (who plays in an aggresive defense, too)? I don’t know, this Brodney Pool guy looks pretty good, but I would have loved Ryan Clark.

8. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Guess TJ would rather make more money with a potential 2-14 team than play for us — if that’s leadership, I’ll take following. Seriously, I guess the real thing is he thinks he’s still an every-down starter, but I don’t think he’s the every-down starter we need now. So it’s pretty obvious we’ll draft an RB high and maybe pick up another some other way. As for AC, he sounds just like BE did when we got him. Gotta love the way players are upping their game on AND off the field just to be a Jet!

9. By John Garbarini on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Man we blew it with TJ.
    Sad times indeed.
    Best of luck to him..he was totally unappreciated here.
    Go figure ?!??!?

10. By BGB on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I remember that INT Cro had against us last year. An impossible catch he made look easy. He reminds me a lot of BE in that raw athletic ability. THey both are very young and imature. If they can play up to their potential these two moves by Tan can be historic. TIme will tell. And please for the love of Pete wright, rhodes and jones will be missed but we’ll not be worse off without them.

11. By Russell on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

FS Brodney Pool, Cleveland has suffered from four concussions, so please pass on him. With the losses of LB Murrell and WR Wright, the special teams took a hit. Two players the Jets should check out, ILB/ST Laury, Seattle and DB/ST Busing, Houston. If we lose LS Dearth, I would look at LS Neill, St.Louis. If the Jets don’t resign T-Rich, then they should look at FB’s Green, Arizona and C.Davis, Pittsburgh. At the RB position, G.Russell, Oakland and Ganther, Washington should warrant looks.

12. By Russell on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

To my fellow Jets fans. If the Jets lost RB L.Washington in free agency, couldn’t the Jets just replace him with WR/RB Danny Woodhead. They’re both the same size, same weight and wasn’t Woodhead a RB in college. The few times I saw him in action, he appeared to be pretty fast. He’s not going to be a wide receiver per se, but he could run the ball, catch passes out of the backfield and return kickoffs. To me, Woodhead is a younger version of Leon. Have mercy on me when you rip me apart.

13. By jak_jet fan on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

the jets are making great moves…i think the jets will be the team to beat in the afc….if all players can get to the post season somewhat healthy..then lookout…looking forward to jenkins and leons return.

14. By Coops on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Jetsman – Jets can’t go after unresticted Free Agents such as Clark and Sharper due to the final 4 restrictions. We need to lose an UFA before we can sign one. However, we are free to pursue guys who have been cut, and also restricited free agents. Two guys the Jets are looking at – Brodney Pool and Marlin Jackson – are restricted free agents so they are fair game to the Jets. Even better, neither Pool nor Jackson were tendered by their teams so the Jets wouldn’t have to pay draft pick comp.

15. By Ira on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Tom,
    You hit it right on the head. TJ probably didn’t want to be the #2 back. But he will have to split time with Charles who is an excellent back for the Chiefs.
    Mack99, They will fill their roles. man McCourty would be so perfect. He could be their stud on ST and play nickel. You watch Murrell thrive in the Pats system. Too bad he was buried on the depth chart here.
    Pool can play and i think he would win that starting job. Just hope he can stay healthy. Hope they sign him. GO JETS!!!!!

16. By Mr. Green on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

FYI in the last 6 games TJ averaged 58 YPG and 2.9 YPC. That is why he is gone. When we needed him the most he wasn’t there. He was a great Jet when he was hitting the holes the OL made. But recently he wasn’t getting there fast enough. It’s time to look to the future and put the past behind. Young backs like Shonne & Chauncey will find the holes made by the OL. Hopefully Leon will be back. If not life will go on. I still feel our future is still 2 or 3 years away. GOOD LUCK TJ.

17. By uncle joe on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

It’s all Rex’s fault,appearently He snubbed Rhodes for Defensive leader,he shoudn’t of even hired a defensive coodinater when he has Rhodes on his team,in fact Tannebaum had nerve not Hiring Rhodes to be the Head Coach alltogether,he didn’t even interview him for the job,what a slap in the face.Good luck playing in 100 degrees in the shade on a team with no QB and a bad Defense that just lost Dansby and severly downgraded it’s Safety spot! Take your Disappearing Act to Vegas!

18. By jetfan66 on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I appreciated everything TJ did for the team, but you have to ask how well would a younger back have done behind the best offensive line in the nfl who ran the ball 75 percent of the time. More than 1400 yards I think. Lets see how he does behind the KC line.

19. By Bigpete on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Some of you Jet fans are so closeminded… You guys should take do your homework on Chaucey Washington… This guy is very shifty for 225lbs and is a perfect complement to spell greene, so yes TJ was a huge loss but the youth move will help us to be more explosive… I like what i see from Pool, he was a ballhawk coming out of OU… Sign him! After the moves the Jets have made in the past calender year, how can u not trust this organizations to make the right moves…

20. By Sal Facciponti on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Ok Jets please don’t let the Pats get Leon-we need him and i don’t want to see the him with the patriots next year even if we get a second round pick-He is our best player when healthy….

21. By Roger on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

All the Jets are doing is cutting there salary at the expense of their solid team.
    Defense: lost 2 CB (Sheppard,Strickland), 1 S (Rhodes), 1 LB (Murrell)
    Special Teams: 1 WR (Wright), possible 1 K (Feeley and 1 LS (Dearth), and 1 Holder(Clemmens)
    Offense: 1 RB (Jones) , possibly 1 FB (Richardson), Washington talking with SF.
    Good luck to TJ, he wasn’t happy last year but he sucked it up and did his job. No reward.

22. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Ira, your post surprises me. “A whole new backfield for a still very raw QB” is exactly how it works, did you expect to win the SB 2 or 3 yrs from now with TJ and T-Rich still on the team? I can’t wait to see what we do with the $5.8 mil we saved on TJ and anyone who thinks he’s gonna do much on that team is dreaming. On our team any number of RBs in the draft could step in just like SG did last year and now we actually have not only some picks to work with but the money to sign them. GO JETS!

23. By Tom Spicer on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

How about this for a Jet draft? 1st round Brandon Graham DE (Michigan) 2007 8 1/2 sacks 2008 10 sacks 2009 10 1/2 sacks. He dominated the senior bowl a 3-4 OLB to eventually replace Bryan Thomas (mabye this year) the pass rusher we need badly. 2nd round Mount Cody NT (BAMA) monster in ever sense of the word eventual replacement for Jenkins could rotate in with him to keep Jenkins fresh & healthy. Jenkins is coming of his 2nd major knee injury & is 31. 4th round Major Wright saftey (Florida)

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

For anyone who has lingering doubts about the KR move, read Cimini’s piece on his radio interview yesterday. This diva who can barely cover and can’t hit for beans is complaining that HE wasn’t “the focal point” of the D? And does he really expect a new coach to bring in players who are familiar with the D he wants to run and NOT put them in charge? Funny how I don’t hear DR, the greatest player in the game at his position, mouthing off about anything. Guess some guys talk and some guys play.

25. By Tom Spicer on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

3 year starter in Floridas secondary “craves collisions – launches his body & packs a punch”. Just the opposite of Kerry “I do not want to hit” Rhodes. 5th round LeGarrette Blount RB (Oregon) The guy has 2nd round skills but he got suspended for most of this last year so they are saying he will go 4th or 5th round. The guy is a bull he runs guys over between him & Greene we would pound teams into the ground!

26. By Jeremy on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

How did the JETS not tender Wallace Wright. Seems like we’ve lost a lot of valuable ST players last year and again this year-does Westhoff have any say in who gets released, b/c his unit is getting stretched very thin these days!
    Best of luck to TJ, he will be sorely missed. I think that was a horrible decision-class act all around and it would have been nice for TJ to mentor Shonn one more year. Very surprising for an uncapped year to not pay a 1,400 yard 14 TD RB that is built like a machine.

27. By Anthony on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Does everyone forget we still have Eric Smith. The man is a beast he hits hard and he can make big plays. I think we need another safety too but I think He is good to fill the roll

28. By MIKE on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

EA, if the Pats signed Marquis Murrell to an offer sheet and the Wallace Wright to the Panthers as well, does that mean we have to wait until the Jets decline the offer sheet before they can go after FA? And was Joey Porter cut and if so doesn’t that mean the Jets could go after him?

29. By Ira on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Tom,
    My bad i should’ve used still very young QB. There is going to be a lot more pressure on Sanchez next year if the Jets struggle to run the ball. I think Greene is going to be just fine. My only concern is his durabilty. They can sign 2-3 players with that 5.8 they saved. Read Rutgers is having their Pro Day today. McCourty will run a 4.4 or better. I really hope the Jets can get this guy. He would really fill several needs the Jets have.

30. By dave since the polo grounds on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

question- if new england offers a second round pick to leon washington, do jets have right of 1st refusal?

31. By JimmyCheese on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Well, I hope Big Mike has a Big Pan to suit Big Rex’s mouth. We just tossed away a top notch RB in TJ… the Pats are actively looking at LW, according to NFL.com…. and we lost two top players from our Special Teams… Izzo and Wright. So far, we got 1 headcase DB… and nothing to help in the backfield. No teams will score on us, but the way we’re looking, we won’t score either… it’s a wash. We now need: RB / WR / DE all with power and experience. Rex, are you getting all this??

32. By uncle joe on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Ira,you might be right about Mcourty now,you know Rex likes a bunch of DBs,plus he can return for us,we can trade out the first round and maybe recoup a third,But your Murrell stuff! if he was worth keeping you don’t think Rex would’ve?He’s too small.He wasn’t buried on the depth chart,we don’t even have depth at OLB!

33. By Eric Allen on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Mike, Marques Murrell is a restricted free agent and Wallace Wright was a RFA who became a free agent because the Jets didn’t tender him. Neither one affects the Jets’ ability or inability to sign unrestricted free agents. My understanding of Joey Porter is that he was released by the Dolphins and so is not a UFA and can be signed by any team.

34. By Eric Allen on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

dave, because Leon Washington was tendered by the Jets at the second-round level, the Jets have the right of first refusal of any offer sheet Leon signs with another team. If the Jets decline to match the offer, the team signing Leon would send the Jets their second-round pick in compensation.

35. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

GL to T-J I wish him the best . it’s like I said we did him be4 he did us its the nature of business.. I’m with you all the way Jet 64 I’ve been saying since last season K-R love for himself would eventually lead to his demise…Spicer I agree B-Graham will work ..Ira M-S is now in his 2 year and I believe he grew & will be in control of Shotty’s offence in 2010 with S-Greene in the backfield we all know what he’s capable of add1 good rook backfield isn’t raw at all just young & talented

36. By Tom Spicer on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Another mock draft for all of you guys looking to get O. 1st round Golden Tate WR (Notre Dame) our 3rd WR/slot WR from day 1 plays like a RB “playmaker”. 2nd round Toby Gehart RB (Stanford) “Bulldozer” 4th round Javier Arenas DB (BAMA) From day 1 probowl kick & punt returner will battle Lowery 4 the nickelback spot loser gets 2 be the dimeback. 5th round Greg Hardy DE (Missippi) 2007 10 sacks 2008 8 1/2 2009 5 3-4 DE “major pass rush potential” 6th round Brandon James RB (Florida) our next Leon

37. By Ray on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Spicer, I like Graham, but I don’t think he’ll still be around at 29. However, I am of the belief that Tannenbaum is not going to sit and wait. I highly doubt we end up with any more guys in the draft than we got last year. I see him trading up a couple times and going after the guys they really want. @ ’64 Tom, I am with you on Blount, the fans of choir boys in here won’t like it, but he would be a steal in the 4th round.

38. By Ira on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

unclejoe,
    McCourty will go in the 1st rd if not the very early 2nd. I actually think he could be the 2nd CB taken in the draft. We will have to wait and see after everybody has their Pro Days. Too many local kids have been drafted by other teams. Time to get a kid from your own backyard. Ref Murrell they have too much invested in other players to keep Murrell right now. I really do think he will be a good player for the Pats.

39. By Ray on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Easy there JimmyCheese, we haven’t lost anyone yet who isn’t replaceable. TJ was more interested in respect (translation money) than being on a team that could actually do something. That headcase DB is still a major upgrade over what we had. And Izzo is like 90, I think we can find a replacement for him. If the Pats are serious about Leon they’ll make an offer we won’t be willing to match. They don’t like to spend money, but they might just to get him away from us.

40. By jet80 on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Russell, I really agree with you about Woodhead. At this point they are pretty even all around except for the lack of experience by Danny. Id love to have Leon back at his best but nothing is guaranteed at this point coming off injury and still disgruntled for a contract. He is great insurance to if we lose Leon and could be the next KR/scatback that we need.Dont see him working in the slot,Cotch should be placed ther when we add another WR to line up wth BE.

41. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

It’s not closed-mindedness, BigPete, it’s fear, which lies at the heart of the “same old Jets.” The new Jets aren’t afraid to let it rip and let the chips fall and like Ray says, we haven’t lost anything we can’t replace. Spicer, love these drafts (though I’d take Best as high as #1) and Anthony, good reminder for that rare breed of KR-mourners about Smith. Nice on C-Wash, BigPete and uncle joe, hilarious on KR! Ira, yeah, those 2-3 guys is what counts and jetfan 66, I’m with ya on SG and yds!

42. By Tom Spicer on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Ray, I agree Trader Mike T. will probably trade up at some point during the draft he will not take his 1st, 2nd , 4th, 5th & 6th round picks. I defineatly see that 2nd 7th round pick in 2011 being used as a chip to move up this year. We have 5 picks this year that means we will get no more than 4 guys.

43. By Josh on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Well…. Cromartie is a guy from Florida State. Florida State guys have worked out pretty well for us in the past. On the Florida State subject, why do i have a feeling that the Jets are targeting Myron Rolle? That or their drafting Taylor Mays. Mr.T said he was happy with Ratliff and Clemens last year. Jets are drafting a Safety. We know his game.

44. By Mike jet Vet on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Ray guess our draft will have to go though you .. So enlighten us according to you not one player so many of us like in this draft will be available AT # 29 ..JUST TELL US WHO WILL SO WE CAN GET ON WITH IT .. guess we’ll wait till next year

45. By Ray on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Spicer the more I read up on things, I think Graham might be there at 29. I wouldn’t mind sitting pat and taking him in the first round. But I will still be surprised if Tannenbaum doesn’t make a move. I already said I wouldn’t mind Tate either. Not a fan of Mount Cody, fat and lazy is my impression. Kirwan has his 2.0 mock on NFL.com and has Graham and Tate gone. Has us taking Griffen the DE out of USC, don’t particularly like that choice. I say trade up for Graham or Tate if needed.

46. By Jordan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

GOLDEN TATE for the win!

47. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet and Ray, call a truce. For one thing, this is a deep draft and there are lots of great players who’ll be available at #29. For another, I’ve yet to see any mock draft showing Best gone by #29, one NFL site guy had SD taking him at #28 but took that down. Williams, Price, Campbell, Thomas, and Hughes should also still be there then. By the way, Ray, I like Tate but I hear that Best is faster than him! Still say drop this nonsense with Smith at WR and try him at RB. LT OK IF cheap!

48. By Ryan Hoban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

callin it the “NO FLY ZONE”