• Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Oct. 03, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:55 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Oct. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 07, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Every Tuesday throughout the season, Jets fans can tune into Jets Extra Point, a weekly show that dissects the previous week's game with detailed analysis. The show will also feature exclusive interviews with Jets players and coaches. Host Brian Custer is joined by Ray Lucas, Tony Richardson, and a rotating panel of Jets on SNY analysts.
  • Wed., Oct. 08, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Thu., Oct. 09, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.

Agreement Reached to Bring Pool on Board

Posted by Eric Allen on March 11, 2010 – 8:31 pm

The Jets announced tonight that they have reached an agreement in principle to sign safety Brodney Pool.

Pool, a potential restricted free agent, was not tendered by Cleveland, so the Jets won’t owe the Browns compensation.

After trading Kerry Rhodes to the Arizona Cardinals last Saturday, the Green & White moved quickly to pick up another safety. The 6’2", 210-pound Pool had four interceptions last season in Cleveland and has totaled 11 over the course of his five-year career. A second-round pick out of Oklahoma in 2005, Pool started 49 games for the Browns and has 34 career PDs.

It was Pool’s end zone hit on TE Chris Baker with 59 seconds to play in the Jets’ Game 8 at Cleveland in 2006 that was not called a forceout by officials and as a result secured the Browns’ 20-13 victory.

Tags: , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 49 Comments »

49 Responses to “Agreement Reached to Bring Pool on Board”

1. By Anonymous on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Is this guy even good…like does he fit in with the dominant defense

2. By jayk20 on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

i would absolutely love to plug in LT as a backup to Greene and a 3rd down back than can catch the ball out of the backfield. if he’s healthy and running well, just give him some more carries. he’s visiting tomorrow? don’t let him leave wihtout signing him. there are no guarantees that Leon will be what he was or that it won’t take a year for a full recovery. this is a no-brainer.

3. By JOHNNY on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

WHY THIS GUY? WHO IS THIS POOL GUY? WHERE IS PORTER AND DARREN SHARPER? COME ON GUYS? WE ARE NOT GOING TO WIN THE WHOLE THING UNLESS WE GET BETTER QUALITY GUYS? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS POOL GUY!!! HOPE WE SIGN LT ASAP!!!!

4. By Rhandy on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

NOOOOOO WHYYYYYYYYYYY WE NEED TAYLOR MAYSSSSSS

5. By Blue Kryptonite on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

hes had like 4 concussions in 5 years,not to excited,but for depth its a good signing if healthy.

6. By scjoe on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Looks like it is a stop gap at this point, although he is still pretty young, the four concussions will surely scare you, but at 1.3 mil not to risky a move, well, in NFL money anyway. I see the Rams may have interest in trading Carriker, now there is something to think about, I remember the Jets being pretty high on him when he was coming out. He could be the answer at DE at 6’6 300 lbs.

7. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I’ll wait to read that “Changes at Safety and Nickel” piece before saying much on this one. Pool doesn’t seem that strong a pick-up and yet it sounds like he may have made as many big plays as KR the last few yrs. S is a tough position for any rookie to handle and who knows what the Jets really think of Smith and Diggs. Does the $ Sharper would want go for Pool and an S pick instead? As for LT, he’s in no danger of starting but could be a good reserve if he comes cheap. But Best is still best!

8. By Ira on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Pool was not a bad signing. His play vs the Jets and Baker is now legal with the new rules. I wold be shocked if LT doesn’t sign with the Jets.

9. By uncle joe on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Don’t know much about this Pool guy,but from reading comments from Browns fans it sounds like this guy is pretty good.They all seem pretty upset that they lost him and the only downside to him is his concussions.

10. By uncle joe on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Rex’s brother probably told Rex to get this guy,he probably was alright with losing him because the Browns promised him Berry in the draft,which means Haden and the rest of the CBs will now slide a little.Even thow we got Cromartie,I wouldn’t be shocked if we draft a corner with the first pick if it’s the best available talent(Rex loves his DBs,I read somewhere Ravens GM told Tanny be prepaired to get Rex DBs),but I think Tanny would trade out & recoup his 3rd rounder in a heart beat if he can.

11. By uncle joe on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Unless money is a facter,LT will sign with us over the weekend.It’s belief that he will decide between us & Minny,a team with AP and a big question at QB.THe Jets,well we have the best D,2nd year,very good QB,no clear cut RB in a ground & pound O with Shotty,in NewYork,opening in a new Stadium and probably will have the oppotunity to knock his old team out of the PlayOffs AGAIN.Hey,we play Vikes this year,God I hope Farve comes back! Revis & Cromartie will have 3 picks EACH!

12. By Joe G on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Great signing. Although Brodney comes with a bit of a concussion past filled career, he is a hard hitter and can make plays in the passing game as well. Solid replacement for 25. I look foward to the Pool vs. Eric Smith vs James Ihedigbo competition at FS this summer. May the best man win.

13. By Mike W on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I like this move. A good physical presence with above average cover skills. It will be nice to watch a safety playing next to Jim Leonard that will actually hit someone. My only concern is his health, already on 4 concussions. Good pick-up for one year.

14. By Anonymous on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I have a feeling Mr. T is cooking up something for the draft.

15. By neil Brown on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I hope Pool can become a surprise player that helps the Jets. Because I wanted to keep Rhodes or get Sharper. Maybe this kid can pick his game up and be an elite Safety for Rex

16. By Carl on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Nice pick up. Keep up the good work Mike T.Hey Randy do you know if the Jets would be interested in helping out the Autism community in April?

17. By Vincent on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

He cost us $$$ but no draft picks or players = Good pick up RR and Tanny. The contract is for 1yr I believe. Let’s hope he performs.

18. By Griff on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

He will be solid to balance out with Eric Smith and Ihedigbo and will probably in for most passing plays. I think he is going to be a nice addittion with an already stacked backfield. I have full faith in Tanny he always does an outstanding job. I can’t wait to see what he does in the draft!!

19. By Anonymous on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

GOOD MOVE, WELL ABOVE AVERAGE PHYSICAL PLAYER, JUST WHAT THEY NEEDED

20. By Tom Spicer on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I think the move for Pool does a few things 1 we probably will not take a Saftey early. Between Pool, Smith & Ibedego the 3 of them will battle it out & let the best guy win.

21. By Tom Spicer on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I was okay with the Jets letting Jones go I know this happens all the time in the NFL when a player has a big bonus lined up going into a year the team is just not going to pay it so they let them go. But I read that Jones came back to the Jets & said match this offer that KC gave me & I will stay & they would not do it THAT IS NOT COOL. The Jets should have matched that offer unless they sign LT or draft a RB early this is a big mistake.

22. By Tom Spicer on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I would be okay with the Jets bringing in LT he is just as good as Jones & he brings a element to the game that Jones does not & that is pass catching ability. WIth the O line we have I think LT & Greene could rush for 1000 yards each & both have there carrys limited to where they are both healthy & fresh for the playoffs.

23. By Paul on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I think MT is getting ready to make a bunch of draft day moves. I think he’s going to make a play at one of the top 2 safeties im hoping Berry a big time play maker could make an immediate impact back there. Next I would be interested to see if they explore a trade with DEN for Marshall, I would be for a swap of BE for BM. They are similar type WR’s but Marshall knows how to catch the ball. And I think he wants to play in a major market and would be an amazing target for MS. Lets go JETS

24. By Tom Spicer on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I was on another Jet web site & this guy was talking about how the Jets need a RB bad Leon had the same kid of break as Mike Bush RB for the Raiders. Bush was supposed to be a 1st round pick in his last year of school he had the same kind of break as Leon & the break made him fall to the 2nd round he missed all of his senior year & all of his rookie year in the NFL because of this injury. Reading that made me think that there is a chance Leon does not play this whole year!

25. By Dave on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I think you’re getting more versatility from LT than Jones if signed. With Leon back doing his thing and Green continuing to develop and chew up yards and carries, LT fits somewhere right in the middle. Able to do (on a limited touches per game basis) what both backs do; catch balls out of the back field and take late game carries as a chase of pace back. Jones was great, but only as a runner. Green is Jones minus 10 years. You don’t need both. I do wish him luck.

26. By agurino on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

This is a pretty good move right now. This guy will help with pass coverage. I hope we can get LT for a year or two as a 3rd down back imagine Leon and LT on the field with 3 WR . Regardless of age LT can still break one and is faster then Jones ever was. I think its a good pick we can draft another one anyway we have the picks

27. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

A rare point of disagreement with you, Spicer: That deal KC gave TJ is way too rich, I would never have matched it. I would’ve offered TJ a 1-yr deal only, he wouldn’t have been a factor for us after that. When you throw in that he may not have wanted to be a back-up, it’s a no-brainer to let him go. But I do agree with you on drafting an RB, LT, and Leon. Fans have a tendency to talk about injuries the way they talk about their own cases of flu, but we have no idea what Leon will play like.

28. By Gary C on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

jet fan,tom your using my line saying Best is still the best,only kidding. seriously speaking the jet running game needs speed and I stated along time ago praising Best before a lot of people.He might not be the best all around but he might be what jets need. tomlinson does not excite me.

29. By Chad on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Bring LT to the Jets!!! This is a good move!!! Honestly with this offensive line I can see 1200 yards this year!!

30. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Yes I was, Gary C., I’d like to make your line the rallying cry for drafting Best! LT doesn’t exactly excite me, either, but Dave and agurino’s analyses are really on target, he fits in better with us than a TJ who seems to think he’s still the bomb. Paul, I hadn’t thought of trading BE and a pick or player for BM but I’d definitely do it re what you mention about who catches better, plus they’re about the same age. I also think you’re right about draft day moves, Mr. T. seems to like that.

31. By Gary C on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

here is another food for thought when it comes to Leon Washington. Justin Miller was never the same when he came back from his injury.thats why no one should be counting on him this year.even if he comes back it will be touch and go all year.

32. By cliff on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I think L.T would be a great fit. It gives Leon time to fully rehab and come back as strong as he can, giving Jets time to evaluate his progress. And L.T can mentor Shonne who I believe is a star in the making. And L.T can run. As for Poole. He’s from the Browns, need I say more. I disagree with this especially if it means not signing Sharper who I think fits Rex’s system perfectly. But here’s a scenerio…What if the Jet’s give up a 1st and 3rd to get Miles Austin from Dallas..A real super s

33. By cliff on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

A real star in the making. Some compare him to a young Terrell Owens without the attitude and better hands. Okay so you’re saying screw giving up 1st and 3rd even though you now have Braylen, Cotch, Keller and Miles, plus Shonne, Sanchez and maybe L.T..But what if Minn jumps on Leon..We now have 2 second round picks we can use to address DE and Safety in a hugely deep defensive draft or use to trade up to 1st round..Thoughts? Could anyone in the League stop a offense I described?

34. By cliff on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Btw Eric Allen, it was number 1 RUSHING DEFENSE not passing defense. Our Pass defense was like rated 22 or something pretty bad.

35. By Eric Allen on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

cliff, the Jets in 2009 were ranked first in overall defense, eighth in rush defense, first in pass defense and first in scoring defense.

36. By joel schlewitz on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

well personally, I disagree with the signing! What happened to sticking with the talent we have, where does this leave Jim leonhard? I know he still has to work to keep his job but come on look what he did for that defense I don’t see a problem with him keeping his job but don’t loose the guy a year after you got him!

37. By Mr. Green on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

CLIFF … Take your foot out of your mouth !!!!!

38. By Row on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

I’d take a hard hitting Abram Elam over Poole any day. It’s obvious we aren’t signing Sharper. I just don’t understand what the front office is doing..

39. By Jason on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Cmon cliff, your calling out eric allen, and you dont know your statistics.. The Jets clearly had the #1 ranked passing defense, I believe they gave up a league low 252 YGP, and only 8 TDs through to air.. This group is only gonna improve, I believe the addition on Pool was a good one. Rex and Mr. T clearly know what there doing, and I wouldnt crititze any moves that are made untill they are proved wrong. Randy what # will Pool wear, i know he wore 21 in CLE but Lowery wears 21, and now LT talk

40. By Eric Allen on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Jason, I don’t have that information yet, but I like to pass on uniform numbers for all those keeping score at home, so I’ll relay it to you as soon as I get it.

41. By john a on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

I don’t see where Brodney Poole is a bad signing because he played for the Browns? If ur a true football fan and know a little about the game of football, then u would realize that he is a big, physical safety who made quite a few big plays for a defense last year that could not sniff the quaterback. Not to mention, the kid did his work in ten games. He suffered another concussion wk10 . The injury concern is the reasoning behind not tendering him w/compensation. This guy is better than Rhodes

42. By THE JETS FAN on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

The Lean Grean Fighting Machine is ready to kick some major league butt this year. But they’re still a few pieces away from total dominance. After the Draft and maybe a few trades we’lll be there! J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

43. By poobah on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

LOVE what we’re doing. signed poole, get LT and we’re acting like there’s no draft. then we’re free to go with the guy who may not have an immediate impact. (still gotta get a pass rusher first…)

44. By JohnnyMorongo on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Seems to me that very many of the comments here are assuming that LT as a Jet a done deal. It’s 5:00 PM PST right now and I haven’t heard anything concrete yet. Too many chicks counted before their time.

45. By jtgreeny on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

CLIFF GET A CLUE..WE WERE RANKED 1ST IN PASS D AND 8TH IN RUSH D..IF WE WERE RANKED 22 IN A DEFENSE CATEGORY WE WOULDNT BE NUMBER ONE OVERALL!!!! COMMON SENSE BUDDY..DO ME A FAVOR AND ACTUALLY WATCH A JETS GAME NEXT YEAR..BETTER YET GO ROOT FOR THE BILLS!!!! STAY OFF MY SITE

46. By AIdan Bitterman on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Who is this guy?? What are they doing? I like the L.T. move. Now go out and sign Darren Sharper and there is no doubt. Super Bowl champions. It isn’t that hard. They just need to sign Sharper and there is no way they could lose

47. By Tom Spicer on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I was reading on ESPN insider from John Clayton that the Jets are going to offer Braylon & picks or other players for Marshall.

48. By JETS FAN IN FLA on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I gree we need Sharper, but I dont agree with giving up Edwards for Marshall. Edwards is starting to turn his career around. Make a move for Marshall, but don’t include Edwards. Send Cotchery if you absolutely have to with some picks.

49. By NY M/JETS on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Send Cotchery if they absoultely have to? Why would they send there true no.1 WR anywhere when Braylon can’t catch? Now with Santonio, Cotchery is going to be listed as our No.3, pretty wierd that our true veteran and possibly the best of the 3 definately better than braylon is listed as our 3rd. Why are all reports ignoring Brodney Pool it’s as if hes not even on our team, NFL Network did a report on our safeties and didnt even mention him! Is he really that bad? Rotoworld doesn’t seem to agree