LT Expected to Speak to Reporters Tuesday

Posted by Randy Lange on March 15, 2010 – 6:27 pm

You can file this under "Bottom Stories of the Day" (title courtesy the WSJ’s James Taranto) but we’re not expecting LaDainian Tomlinson to speak with reporters today.

However, that is news in the sense that Jets fans are eager to hear from the newest Jets signee. And while Tomlinson was reported to have agreed in principle to a contract with the Jets on Sunday night, he is, we hear, still on the West Coast, and the contract still needs to be officially signed.

With the day growing late here on the East Coast, the media relations department is planning to connect with LT on Tuesday for a conference call with reporters. This conference call won’t be carried live on newyorkjets.com but we’re planning to record the call and have it available as a podcast on our site.

As always, we’ll let you know what we’ve got when we’ve got it.

Mission: Haiti

Meanwhile, we want to pass on to you that the Jets contingent headed up by safety James "Dig" Ihedigbo has landed in Haiti on its three-day mission to help that country continue to rebound from last month’s devastating earthquake.

Ihedigbo has been joined by WR David Clowney, LB Vernon Gholston and, from our multimedia department, Rich Gentile and Chris Ubbens. We heard first from Clowney, who tweeted the following:

Just landed in Haiti. Here’s a view from the sky http://twitpic.com/18srjl

Before they left, Ihedigbo offered this message via Twitter:

Few more hours till Hope Africa foundation joins Yele in Haiti…Can’t Wait also please pray for the group while we’re there!

Yele is the name of Wyclef Jean’s charitable foundation, which arranged much of the logistics for this trip.

We plan to have audio, video and written content for the next three days from the Jets players who are giving of themselves to help Haiti get back on its collective feet.

Tags: , , , , ,

46 Responses to “LT Expected to Speak to Reporters Tuesday”

1. By scjoe on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Tom64…I am with you on Best at 29. IF, he is there, but I think the signing of LT may cast some doubt on that move, I don’t know why it should, but I think it will. I have said all along a DE/OLB, CB or S at 29, but since they have addressed 2 of those needs, I am open to a RB, DE/OLB. Anything but a WR with that pick. Can’t understand why anyone would think a WR is more of a need then RB at this point with all the ?s at RB. A DE? maybe, but please, not a WR.

2. By Ira on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Nice job by Digs and company. So the Jets will open at home 9/13 MNF. I would guess it will be either the Vikes or Ravens. Last time they had a home opener on a MNF was back in 2000 when they beat the Pats 20-19 after beating the Packers on the road 20-16. I can still see Abraham sacking Bledsoe to end that game. GO JETS!!!!!

3. By scjoe on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I can a scenario where a 3 way trade with the Jets, Broncos and Seahawk’s may benefit all three teams. Try to follow this now.. Seattle gets Marshall from Denver, Denver gets Jets #1 (29) and Leon Washington or another player (hopefully another player). Jets get Seattle”s 2nd. #1 (14) overall. That falls in to line with what I have been hearing, Seattle will not give up it’s 1st #1 (6) for Marshall, trader Mike gets to move way up, and Denver gets it’s #1. Just think of the possibility’s at 14.

4. By Jimmer on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

At least we’ll get to hear his reasoning. I know what our reasoning was already.

5. By Pete on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I love the moves that our organization has made… The next steal that i think we have to make during the draft is Jerry Hughes LB/DE… He is a game changer and a player that other teams would have to gameplan for… I believe in our staff and hope that they take this guy at 29 if the rest of the league passes. The guy was only the best player on a top 3 defense for the past 2 years, and his athletic ability is off the charts… Come on jet fans, help me sell this guy…

6. By supercooljetfan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

this should be a good pick-up…imagine 3rd and 6 and the jets got LT,leon,braylon,cotch, and keller on the field at the sametime…thats pretty hard to cover…we get one more receiver whether it be in the draft or one of our guys finally step up we should have a very good offense next year

7. By supercooljetfan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

ohh i forgot LT threw a couple tds in his career now you throw b.smith in the mix we are going to have alot of teams on their heels in the redzone….hope this deal works out as much as i think it can

8. By Neil Brown on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Lets get an elite Pass Rusher #1, and a Speedy Breakaway Wr #2

9. By Frank on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I have a better Idea trade Edwards and our first rounder for Marshall. We need a playmaker on offense in the worst way and we especially need a #1 receiver who can actually catch a pass and better yet is a huge target and the best hands in the league for a young QB who has accuracy issues. Getting Marshall should be their #1 priority!

10. By 37 year fan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

What great trade bait . I don’t know what’s going on , but I bet there is some major deal in the works. 3 way perhaps? There is going to be some off the charts moves coming down . It’s pretty plain to see …. You don’t have to be Columbo to put the pieces of this puzzle together. Woody and Mr. T are close to becoming legendry.

11. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you, scjoe, that WR isn’t as big a need as RB, and I think that if Mr. T., Rex, Schotty, or anyone else in charge thinks LT is more than a stopgap move for a backup, they’ve lost it. This is a good year for RBs and we obviously need another one for the future, it occurred to me today that if Leon’s not even jogging in March he might not even be ready to try playing till October. Also having a hard time picturing Leon selling himself to other teams at this point. Get more picks!

12. By Ray on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

scjoe, I would not be against them picking Best, but let me ask you what I asked ’64 Tom, why would they pick a backup RB at 29 if a WR/KR like Golden Tate were there at 29, who could step right in and start? Wait, never mind I just answered my own question….I forgot you think Clowney is the answer. I just question whether we are so stacked at this point that we can use our top picks for depth as opposed to starters.

13. By CincyJetsFan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Why does everyone have a scenario in which Leon Washington becomes expendable? Does no one see the benefit of having 3 good backs like they have now? Can anyone see a Full House Formation with all 3 in the backfield? Or am I the only one looking at it from this angle? Please keep Washington, he’s not worth getting a 1st rounder, much less giving one away to get higher in the draft. But… like they’ll listen to a Jets Fan in Cincinnati!

14. By Ray on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

’64 Tom, I was reading up on your boy Best tonight, because I knew very little about him. And I can see pros and cons with this guy. The pros are his speed and he makes guys miss. The cons are he isn’t much of a blocker, not an inside runner and, the thing that scares me more, he had a serious concussion that kept him out of the last 4 games last year! That is a HUGE red flag, especially for a RB.

15. By Ira on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

scjoe, You are right on. I think there wil be a 3 way trade to get Marshall if they decide to go after him and i think they will try. Hope the Jets don’t decide to go on HBO’s Hard Knocks for camp this summer. The Jets have been on the front pages all offseason and its time to lay low. Going on HBO this summer would be a huge distraction and the players won’t be able to focus. I suggest to stay away from HBO. Its not good for the football team.

16. By uncle joe on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Check out Chargers FB Lorenzo Neal talking the Jets up.Does he want to come back? Love Woody Johnson not taking any crap with that Phanthom Coin Toss,now We get the Monday Night Prime Time Home Opener!

17. By Ira on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

One thing to keep in mind about going after marshall is that he is one more off the field problem from being suspended 8 or more games. That to me really raises a RED FLAG. My advice buyer beware.

18. By The Rick on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey Randy, ask LT at his press conference how he felt sitting on the sidelines with his jacket over his head with a little sore knee, while his QB played with a torn ACL in AFC championship game? Yea, this is the tpye of guy I would want on my team!! NOT.

19. By Fish Hunters on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Randy tell Woody I am with him 100% on the Opening Game issue. He had a great idea of having it in the stadium. Should have had representation at the flip. If there even was one.
    Brandon Marshall. If we get him first word out of my mouth is “Championship!”. The man has the soul of a warrior.
    Great job all around by the organization in every facet! We’re on the sustained Championship path! BZ guys!

20. By garrett fla jet fan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

why does every one think we need to draft a rb ? we have 4 on the roster, we have two power houses in shonn greene and chauncey washington, and 2 very versitile in leon and LT .so some one please explain to me why we need to draft a rb 1st round when we need a pass rusher

21. By Neil Brown on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

JETS AND GIANTS SHOULD PLAY EACH OTHER FOR THE OPENER!

22. By uncle joe on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Yeh,my Boys DT Geno Atkins & RB Ben Tate are moving up,see them middle 2nd round in alot of Mocks drafts now with another month to go.Would love to trade out of the 1st,pickup a 3rd & get these 2 guys in the 2nd round.Grab DB Donovan Warren in the 3rd,an O-lineman 4th and WR Shipley round 5.You people stop talking about RB Best,he won’t play more than 2 seasons in the NFL.And that WR Tate is like 5’11”,what do we need him for?Cold weather teams need Size,especially when your QB is only 6’1,2″!

23. By uncle joe on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Only a 1st round tender on Marshall is writing on the wall,this guy is trouble.Plus he is gonna want to be the highest paid WR.If we don’t give up a 1st round pick for him,it’s gonna cost us Harris,and although I feel Harris is falling out of favor with Rex because he is not vocal and not stepping up as a leader,he is still The HitMan!But I think Harris is entering the last year of his contract,we can’t pay him and Scott so maybe it is time to make a move,and throw Wesserman in his spot.

24. By pranit on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you “the Rick”. LT is not the guy you want around when the chips are down. Did anyone see his face when the chargers were losing to the jets in last years playoffs? …he doesn’t present himself as a winner.

25. By Tom Spicer on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

scjoe, I like the trade idea but dont put in Leon if he comes back into his 2008 form we would be getting robbed. The 29th pick for Marshall is all I would give or I would do Braylon & our 6th this year & 1 of our 2 7th rounds picks in 2011 for Marshall.

26. By JETFANAL on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

You can’t go by L.T.’s facial expression in the playoff game. He was probably ticked off because of the poor game plan and bad execution of a lot of his team mates. I think he going to great for the Jets out of the backfield, kind of like a Brian Westbrooke. He’s going to make everyone forget about the last 2 yrs in San Diego.

27. By Tom Spicer on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Frank, I know you want Marshall bad but there is no way in the world we give up Braylon & our 1st round pick for Marshall.

28. By IRISH JET on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

we need to keep our draft picks,not trade anymore for more veterans,we have enough already!!! we need new young blood,enough with making a trade or transaction every week,we did enough of that,great job tanny,but time to build through the draft,and pick up adalius thomas when he gets released lol

29. By scjoe on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Ray…I wouldn’t consider Best a “backup” RB and what would be wrong with him returning kicks and punts? He has more speed then Golden Tate, he may not be a bulldozer like Greene, but he can get outside and complement Greene very well. Besides, for me, the jury is still out on Greene. Maybe the fumble and injury issues are over, but maybe they are not, just look at what Johnson brings to the table for Tenn, not saying Best is Johnson, but then again, who is? Also Ray, don’t you believe that…..

30. By scjoe on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

cont…A RB has a much better chance of coming right out of college and not only starting, but making an impact, much more then ANY WR can? I think history has proven that time and time again.

31. By Ablity on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

we open the season on monday night yaay. yall have no ideal how happy that makes me because i am going off college this summer and i going way out of state. i wont catch many jets games but aleast i get to watch the opener thats going to be nice. how many prime times games do you think we are going to be this year. I hope we play the texans in the openers. we match up so well against them it’s no way they can beat us.

32. By Tom Spicer on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

What is the problem with you guys? LT is a 1st ballot LOCK hall of famer. For 8 of the last 9 years he was the Chargers!

33. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Ray, I’m with scjoe on Best. We just signed an S who’s had 4 concussions, so I’m not worried about 1. For another, Best is the kind of RB we need, faster than SG but almost as strong, and by the end of ’10 I’ll bet he’d be in the same spot as SG last year. The “back-up” is LT and if Leon comes back, LT’s the one who might be expendable next yr. Garrett, we need to pick an RB ’cause it’s a great year for them, LT’s only insurance, Leon may be done, and the Jets aren’t taking C-Wash seriously yet.

34. By Ray on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

scjoe, first lets deal with the speed thing. I don’t know what they ran at the combine, so I am going by draft mags here. Best a 4.4, Tate a 4.5, I think far too much is made of 40 times, it is run in track gear on a straight line, not really all that applicable to game conditions. As for Best returning kicks, did he do it in college? You can’t just put anyone back there and think it will work. I have nothing against Best, but I do have alot of questions. What has happened in the past…

35. By Ray on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

….with drafts really doesn’t mean anything in terms of how these two will pan out. Also make no mistake about it, if they draft Best it will not be to start, not this year anyway. And from what I read about his blocking, he won’t be used on passing downs, much like SG at the beggining of last year. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think any draft pick is a lock and by no means would I guarantee Tate panning out either. Just looking at wants and needs.

36. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Just to update you, Ray, Best had an awesome combine, ran a 4.35 and was the best at the cone drill. As for blocking, not too many guys his size – and not too many guys period — seem to block at a pro level right out of college anymore. Blocking was one of the ifs for SG, as you note, and by the SD game he was delivering the key block at the goal line for the DK TD. I have questions about all of these guys and everybody always does. The only thing that’s not questionable is needing more on O.

37. By scjoe on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Ray..You have to have a little faith in the coaching, you can teach a player to block, to catch the ball out of the backfield (better then he has in the past) you can even teach the finer points of returning kicks, but you can’t teach a player to run a 4.32 forty! Which is what I read he ran officially. One of my favorite motto’s is “Never Say Never” Where is it written that Best can not come in and out perform Greene from the get go? What about Greene’s injury concerns? As for Leon? Who Knows?

38. By scjoe on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I think Tom 64 nailed it when he said it is TJ that is the back up. Ray, my motto is “Never say never!” Where is it written that Best can not come in and out perform Greene from the get go? Factor in Greene’s injury issues and it would be very easy to see Best as the starter. The way I see it is, there are just to many questions at the RB position, not nearly as much at the WR position. Do you agree with that? So why a receiver with your first pick if there is a 4.32 RB available?

39. By Ablity on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

With all the holes we have fill or make better i cant believe yall talking about running backs. that’s the stronger area on our team. we need corners and safetys and WR’s that can flat out run. we dont need anymore RB. they got LT for a reason and we need a DE and a OLB. Com on guys

40. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you on Best ALL THE WAY, scjoe — posters, heed his words!

41. By Ray on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

scjoe, is that sc for South Carolina or Southern Cal, cause if it’s So. Cal then I am starting to think maybe we have a little west coast anti ND bias going on here! Kidding, but as I said before speed is great but I am not a big fan of forty times, they are blown out of proportion, 4.32 compared to 4.5….two tenths of one second after 40 yards! Is that even one full step? And scjoe, please don’t try and make it sound like if Best were starting because of an injury that would be a good thing

42. By Ray on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

…that would be called desperation and really hoping and praying for the Best! No pun intended there. Speaking of injuries, this guy does not sound very durable. A couple tidbits from the draft mags I have: “Lacks size & strength to be consistently effective as an inside runner. Blocking – an area of concern due to his lack of bulk and strength. Is a liability in pass protection. DURABILITY a big concern. Touches will need to be limited to stay healthy.” Those are the cons I’ve read….

43. By Ray on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

….Now as I said, I am not against this guy and here are some of the pros they list: “Outside Running – his most impressive area. Good speed to the edge, dazzling in the open field. Soft hands. Good return man and ST man. Outstanding top end speed. Home Run hitter. Spins and dances out of more tackles than his size would indicate. Competitor.” Bottom line as I see it from what I am reading, he would be fun to watch and dangerous….as long as he can stay on the field.

44. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Ablity, with a very iffy Leon we have NO depth at RB, so we need another good, young one. But I agree with you about speed — which brings me to you, Ray. I’m enjoying this analysis of Best, but I don’t hear anything more seriously bad than I heard about our last not-ready-for-the-field (according to some on this site) rookie RB, SG. But I wouldn’t downplay speed on the Jets if I were you. Clown and to some extent BE and SG are the only guys on our O who have it, good as some of our O guys are.

45. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

P.S. on that speed question: AA showed a ton of it, but let’s see how he comes off the ACL. And Woodhead has some but we can’t seem to decide if we want him at WR or RB or want him on the team at all. I’ve also heard folks on this site and elsewhere saying that DK is too slow, so speed isn’t something we should be ignoring. Frankly, I’d like to put a little Al Davis-like emphasis on it for the next few years (but I’ll stop there with taking cues from Al these days, thank you very much).

46. By scjoe on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Ray, I can assure you there is no anti ND bias (:-) If ND had a talanted 4.3 forty RB available with that pick I would welcome him. But as for Best? I am not sure it would even take an injury for him to become the starter*, and by that asterik I mean in todays NFL I think you need TWO starters anyway. Do we really have 2 legit question mark free starters right now?? I don’t think so. No one knows what will happen with LW. LT is no longer THE starter. C Wash?? Woodhead?? That is my point.