• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 10:30 AM - 11:00 AM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Chad Pennington and the Voice of the Bills John Murphy will join us on Jets Talk LIVE. Murphy to talk about the Week 8 matchup alongide reporters Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad. Fans can call in at 855-909-5483 or tweet your questions to @eallenjets.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Old Kid on the Block: Richardson to Return

Posted by Randy Lange on March 16, 2010 – 7:08 pm

On the day that new tailback LaDainian Tomlinson’s Jets contract was officially signed, fullback Tony Richardson returned to the Green & White fold.

Richardson has agreed in principle on a new deal to return for his 16th NFL season and his third with the Jets, the team announced tonight. No terms of the new contract were announced.

The man most often called "T-Rich" became an unrestricted free agent last week. His 15-year numbers — 424 carries for 1,714 yards (4.0 avg.) and 15 touchdowns, 205 receptions for 1,512 yards (7.4 avg.) and nine TDs — are still impressive, even though for he’s averaged less than two touches a game for the past six seasons.

But with the Jets, the 6’1", 238-pounder has been more known for being one of the integral parts to the growing, meshing machine that the Jets’ offensive line, tight ends and backs have become under coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and OL coach Bill Callahan.

Last year, of course, he was the blocking fullback on the NFL’s No. 1 rushing offense and the franchise’s most productive rushing unit (2,756 yards). And with No. 49 leading the way, the Jets averaged 4.7 yards per carry in 2008 and 4.53 yards in ’09, the first- and third-best season averages in franchise history.

"We hold Tony in the highest regard for what he does on and off the field," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said last week. "I wouldn’t rule anything in or out at this point. Whoever he’s with next year, he’ll make them better on the field as well as off."

Much has changed already in the Jets’ backfield this offseason with the departure of Thomas Jones to Kansas City, the arrival of Tomlinson, and the plans to have Shonn Greene shouldering the load for the ground game in 2010. But one piece will remain constant and that is Richardson, who will turn 39 in December, getting him one year closer to matching his uniform number.

Tags: , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Old Kid on the Block: Richardson to Return”

1. By Ira on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Randy,
    This was a key signing by Mr. T. T-Rich was such a big part of the success of the Jets running game. I guess he couldn’t resist having the chance to block for a future HOF in LT. T-Rich, Glad your back. Maybe Schotty still has a few plays up his sleeve for T-Rich. GO JETS!!!!

2. By John Cardillo on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Huge re-sign. This keeps the running game intact.

3. By Ira on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Randy, About how many yards as T-Rich paved the way for RB’s in his career ?

4. By uncle joe on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Yeh T Rich,GLAD TO HAVE YOU BACK

5. By scjoe on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I have mixed emotions about the T Rich signing. He is really getting up there in age, and Mike T has also mentioned Davis, who was on the PS, being a viable replacement, but that’s why he is the GM and I am just a fan. I think Davis may offer a bit more as far as STs are concerned. Ray, sorry about those duplicate posts, my PC went down during one, and I had forgotten what I had written, getting old is a B–ch! By the way, as for Clowney? Sure, I am curious to see what he can do given a chance.

6. By Vincent on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I honestly thought TRich was gone. But unlike TJ he obviously had the brains to negotiate a fair contract. Truth be told I am very, very happy he is back. A great, solid, smart player and an educated, well spoken individual. Proud to have him as a Jet!

7. By Tom Spicer on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Good job MR.T getting T Rich back!

8. By Tom Spicer on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Tom, I know you want Best big time & I would okay if the Jets took him but with Greene, LT & Leon the ONLY way he plays a big roll this year is if we lose Leon for a 2nd round pick or if 1 of the 3 I mentioned gets hurt. Also at 195lbs. I dont think he could take the pounding of being the starter he is more like a Leon speedy change of pace type back. he is not a work horse like LT or a pounder like Greene

9. By a10 wharthogjet on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

keep what works. Richardson is one of the best at what he does ie. blocking, pass protection, and an occasional caught or two. GO NUMBER 49!!!!!!!!!!!

10. By Pick Odrick on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Nice, T-Rich i felt was a major part to our running game and I was so happy when he resigned, also get to hear about the new DE, but still i say James Odrick 1st round!

11. By steve on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I love how in the interview of Mike T the reporters kept asking the exact same question in different words and he kept giving the same vague answer. Obviously he’s not going to change his answer so why waste your time by asking him something you know hes not going to actually give an answer to. Oh and nice move to get T-Rich back, the mans a beast.

12. By travis on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

this is a really big signing for us, i think most people under-value a guy like this on our team. does anyone know whats going on with feely? the guy is way more than just a kicker for us!

13. By Joe in Section 230A on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

This was a solid, and needed, resigning and no Jet fan can be unhappy with this move. T-Rich is a great player, and person. Happy to have him back.

14. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Well, with T-Rich back and LT in the fold, all we need now is this year’s new, young RB. SG, LT, Best, and T-Rich would make a pretty formidable first four RBs and would take a lot of pressure off Leon, C-Wash, and Woodhead, if the Jets give the last two a chance to show what they can do. And hey, anybody who really wants to see Leon return to his former glory on the Jets should face the fact that he might need a year or two to do so, not just a couple of months in the off-season.

15. By Ray on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

This was a great great move! I love having this guy back, I hope they use him more like they should this year. Too many times they took him out when we needed someone in there to block either for a runner or for Mark.

16. By Ira on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

scjoe
    I understand your feelings about Davis and him also playing ST’s. But besides the fact that T-Rich is still one of the top FB’s in the game his leadership presence and experience can’t be found. Considering you are going to have a very young backfield including the QB and LT T-Rich will be the glue to hold things together when times get rough. Someday he will be a big executive in this league. Not just yet, He still has a season or two left to play for the Jets.

17. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Spicer, I’ve usually seen Best listed at 5′ 11″ 200 but from games I’ve watched he plays like more, I don’t quite buy that “weak inside runner” report Ray cited. But the main thing, Best or no Best, is this huge denial some folks seem to be in about Leon. The guy’s not even jogging and it’s almost April, is he supposed to be at full strength in six months? (Sept.). I bet you he needs all of ’10 just to see if he can play again and with no one talking about C-Wash or Wood, SG and LT ain’t enough.

18. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

By the way, Ray and Spicer, I know this is what they call anecdotal evidence, but I’d keep this in mind: When DR made that great 1st-qtr open-field tackle on LT, I was, like, YES, DR’s the MAN! But I was also thinking, “The REAL LT that Charger fans said was gonna show up today would NEVER have been brought down by ANY CB in the flat like that, he woulda left him in the dust.” That’s the LT WE got NOW, not this mythical creature that’s gonna run for 1500 yds. So I think we need a lot more at RB.

19. By uncle joe on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Man it’s gonna be fun if the Dolphins sign this guard Incognito.It’s just gonna add to the Rivalry that is born again of late,watching Bart Scott chew this guy out and push his buttons.Just hope Jets and Dolphins don’t concentrate too much on eachother and forget about the quiet Patriots,I can’t believe they have 3 #2s after having at least 2 #2s last year,plus 2 #1s next year,that’s OK though by the time they all come into there own,Brady will be on his way out!

20. By Tom Spicer on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

The Jets are having a private workout for Toby Gehart on Tuesday March 30th I think he would be a steal in the end of the 2nd round. I also wanted to add that if the Jets take a RB with 1 of there 1st 2 picks or trade up into the 3rd round to get a back like they did last year. Then either LT is a 1 year deal or Leon is history.

21. By Randy Lange on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Ira, that was a little project. I don’t have Tony Richardson’s participation on each play during his 15 seasons with KC, MIN and the Jets, but in the 224 NFL games he’s played in (including playoffs), his teams have rushed for 29,962 yards. That’s a little over 17 miles, at the rate of 133.75 yards per game.

22. By JOHNNY on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

HERE COMES SHARPER AND TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. By scjoe on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Tom64..You know I am with you on selecting Best, and I hope that happens because I also agree with you on where LW may (or may not be) physically in Sept. But as for LT? Well, I wasn’t overjoyed with the move, but I did feel a little better when he made the statement about playing out the year with a high ankle sprain. So, if that is the case, I am starting to feel a little better about the transaction. I know we wouldn’t be getting the LT of 05 and 06, but better then we seen ending 2010.

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Good points, Spicer, I see no reason to doubt that LT could be a 1-yr deal or that Leon could be history. If LT doesn’t do well and some younger guys do, he might be next yr’s saved cash. And as I keep saying, this lust for the old Leon before the guy’s even played a down is really weird and disconnected from reality. If the Jets will work out TG, who’s consistently projected as a #1or #2 pick, they’re serious about an RB and that’s good to see. I like Best ’cause he’d be a steal at #2, too.

25. By Ray on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

’64 Tom, I might agree that the publication I had was off the mark, but when THREE all say the same thing about this guy physically I have to believe they are seeing something your not. And I don’t know who said we were getting the LT of old, but I don’t believe that. I just think he was the best option once TJ signed with KC. And I would still want LT on the field ahead of a rookie in key situations.

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

I know about Best’s physical issues just like I knew about MS’s knee last year and Bradford’s arm this year, Ray. Unless a player has a serious history of injuries like, say, Strickland, I’m not going to make that a deal-breaker. You weren’t one of the guys who said we’re getting the LT of old, of course, but there’s been some talk like that here. And while I know what you mean about LT over a rookie in key situations, who do you think the Chargers would’ve rather had in the playoffs, LT or SG?

27. By Row on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

I was hoping T-rich would go with TJ to Kansas City so he could run for another 1400 yards. This guy blows LB’s off the LOS. Age is not a factor in professional sports. I’m so tired of hearing that all players are done at 30. I still say TO can help this team and we need to sign him NOW. Someone give TO a workout. I also agree Mike that Sanchez was erratic and it will be worse this year with the injury. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kellen start a game or two. Still think we need a RB.