• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Kentucky FB Conner Part of Round 5 Tradeup

Posted by Eric Allen on April 24, 2010 – 12:51 pm

Staying true to their wheeling and dealing ways, the Jets moved into the fifth round of the NFL Draft today to select Kentucky fullback John Conner. To get Conner, the Jets shipped Leon Washington and their seventh-round pick (No. 236 overall) to the Seattle Seahawks.

Conner (5’11", 246), nicknamed what else but “The Terminator,” played in a school-record 54 games for the Wildcats. Last season his 5.1-yard rushing average paced Kentucky and he earned All-America recognition from Pro Football Weekly.

"I come to play every play," he said.  "I’m a hard player and I give my full effort every play."

Even though he predominantly was focused on which linebackers to unload on, Conner scored the first time he ever touched the ball in college, on a 17-yard reception against Texas State in 2006. A former walk-on, Conner will fit in well with the Jets’ "ground and pound" approach.

"I understand the position. I know a lot of teams try to go away from it, but I know that certain teams out there still rely on a fullback for their running game," Conner said.  "I felt pretty confident about getting with a good team with a good fit for me."

"John does all the things that NFL teams ask their fullbacks to do. He blocks, he catches the ball,” added UK head coach Joker Phillips. “And when you need him to make a carry in short yardage, he almost always picks up first downs. He’s going to have a long career in the league. "

With no more scheduled picks, the Jets’ 2010 draft might be over. But you can be sure general manager Mike Tannenbaum is working the phones at the moment so stay tuned.

Here are Conner’s Kentucky rushing and receiving statistics:

Season GP-GS Atts-Yds-Avg-TDs Recs-Yds-Avg-TDs

2005

3-0 None None
2006 13-0 2-5-2.5-0 2-21-10.5-1
2007 13-8 6-37-6.2-2 7-37-5.3-2
2008 13-11 15-47-3.1-0 11-89-8.1-0
2009 12-8 31-158-5.1-2 5-46-9.2-1
Totals 54-27 54-247-4.6-4 25-193-7.7-4

Tags: ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 119 Comments »

119 Responses to “Kentucky FB Conner Part of Round 5 Tradeup”

1. By Rafael on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully this kid has a year to learn under T-Rich. Sad to see Leon Washington go. Leon & Jonathan Vilma were my 2 favorite Jets this decade. J Vil won a SB with Saints. I hope Leon has a great career in Seattle! But doesn’t win a ring until the Jets do! ;D Welcome to NY Terminator!!

2. By Gary C on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

within two years jets have put together a complete backfield, greene for power,mcknight for speed and elusiveness and connor for blocking purposes. good bye tony richardson and welcome to the coaching staff.

3. By 37 year fan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

This guy can knock people down . Good Pick . Sad to hear about Leon though.

4. By clarke W. Griwald on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Ouch Leon, huh? I figured he might be on the block, but I thought they would be pushing for a pass rusher. I like all the guys they got except ducasse. I thought they should’ve got a d lineman somewhere in there. why don’t they let rex draft defense?

5. By Frankie on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD BE TRADE LEON????? SAD DAY FOR JETS FANS… WHAT ARE WE DOING… LEONNNNNNNNN????? WE WERE DOING SO GOOD AND WE GO AND GET RID OF LEONNNNNNNNN…CRUSHED JET FAN HERE

6. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

It’s tempting to think T-Rich can play forever but the fact is we need a new FB and who better to train him than T-Rich? One thing I love about this post-season is the aggression we showed in upgrading our O. We simply didn’t score anywhere near enough points last year and it must’ve driven Rex, not to mention Schotty, totally crazy. Obviously, other needs like DL, LB, maybe K and P are going to be dealt with in other ways. I refuse to believe that Faneca and Ellis are worth nothing in trades.

7. By anthony desena on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

you guys are unreal u trade a guy like leon who broke his for this team to have a washed up LT to help sell ur psls i should start rooting for the giants

8. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Short prediction on my part, but I guess Faneca ISN’T worth much in a trade. That report about how he was basically the weakest starting guard in the NFL on pass protection had to hurt him. But of course while Row and others were blaming MS for everything last year, some of us were watching and wondering what the guy was supposed to do with the pocket crumbling in on him so often. For those worried about signing guys, AF’s salary will help out there. And I trust Callahan as much as I do Rex.

9. By kimosabe on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

IMO…looks like Gholston will be getting a lot of reps as a down lineman…We are still a ground and pound team, I like the picks !! I would like some depth at OLB…but…??

10. By jet80 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Shouldve known trader Mike was ready to light the cannon.Not surprised that Leon was traded at all but a Fullback that might not be used this year and also the 7th rd pick come on.Unless they keep Woodhead then they now have no speed bursting backs.Reports now are that we have released Faneca! If this is true all is lost at the OL.I know he will need to be replaced soon along with Woody but not this year when you have no one to come in right away to replace him.Vladimir whatever is project !????

11. By anthony desena on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

u chumps scared to post my comment

12. By Jetsman on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Looks like a good draft. This guy, John Conner, was an animal at the Combine. He should replace T-Rich in a year or two. Now, let’s break down the Leon trade. So we traded a 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes. We got a 5th round pick for Leon Washington. So, essentially we traded Leon Washington for Santonio Holmes. I would take that trade any day of the week, how about you guys?

13. By PAjetsfan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Yeah I’m with you on that Frankie, that was a bad choice made by management, should have kept Leon, I’m going to miss him.

14. By jet80 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Man is this goin to hurt this line that is by far the best in the league. They couldve kept him one more year but the way they have been spending and tossing money around,its clear they might have overdone themselves and are now cuttin corners.With the big 3’s contracts coming up,Harris’s big deal,B.Smith AC BE SH all needing new deals nxt year and signing the new drafts,thats a lot on ones plate. Boy I hate to see Alan go

15. By BobbyC on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Sad to see Leon go, he was one of my favorite Jets. I knew Thomas Jones was done and expected that. However, MT and Rex have made some outstanding moves so who am I to doubt what they have done so far. I trust in their judgement and am excited to see how this season works out.

16. By Chris K. on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

1st they sign Jason Taylor, then they release Faneca, then they trade #29 and a 7th rounder for a 5th round pick. 3 moves I disagree with. Damien Woody hit it on the head when he said,” Leon gone too? Man this is killing me!!! It’s killing me too!!!! #29 was a fan favorite. Sorry to see you go Leon. Good Luck in Seattle. I hope Tanny didn’t fumble the ball on this one.

17. By Ablity on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Leon was a Jet by heart by one thing I learn this off season is that there is no “love and respect” for “true blue” team player. i mean leon was a JET; but if we can go out and get a jason talyor who basically curse out all US jets fan; than why cant we get rid of the guys that jets fans really care about. I mean i always a jets fan but rex and mr t. sure we want a ring but we want a ring with our type of guy that we feel in love with and watched grow up. bad trade Jets; real Bad trade

18. By Mr. Green on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Predicted Leon would be gone as soon as the Jets signed Santonio Holmes. Not enough plays in the playbook for him. Many experts don’t expect Leon to play this season. It took the Raiders Bush 2 years to come back from a similar injury. However, Leon’s injury was worst. Joe McKnight being picked put the nail in the coffin. Got Luck Leon, you’ll be missed.

19. By Big J6886 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

IM loving all the moves this is a bussines I hated 2 see thomas & leon go but we have Mcknight younger leons coming off broken leg, & thomas broke down at end of playoffs, well be okay…. OH yeah if ur mad & talking about rooting for the giants good ridance u wasnt a REAL JETFAN anyway

20. By sameoldfan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Why would they trade Leon? He was the most explosive player we had. I guess I’ll be throughing out my #29 jersrey. I’m sick over this. SICK!

21. By matt on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

i do like all the Jets picks, but still curious why they went for offense instead of helping out the front 7 on defense which they needed? John Conner will learn under T-Rich but can also step in right away, McKnight replaces Leon in his role – it all makes sense but makes me wonder how they will get that pass rush they need.

22. By MO48 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Well why we know why they drafted McKnight! Hey gonna miss Leon. c what happens when u get hurt. this is a Business people! shonn got more carries and the team did well. I wish we would have went DL OR SAFTETY but i guess we will address it thru a trade or undrafted rookie. The kid Conner is a beast and Tony’s almost 40! McKnight and Wilson will return punts and kicks. McKnight and LT will 3rd down Backs.

23. By barnity on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

All of you are going to be glad that the Jets DIDN’T trade Faneca. He knows tricks that even Callahan doesn’t. When you play a dozen years on the inside, you learn some things. Things that can’t be taught in a classroom. He’s going to help the younger beef. And he still has a good year or two left. He might have graded out as the lowest Jet but he’s still miles above most other guards in the league. If all he was giving up was 3 sacks and a few hurries, that’s pretty good on my card.

24. By upset jets fan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

here we go again…..i just dont understand what the jets organization is doing….we had such a good run last yr…..so we get rid of T jones….leon…. and possibly faneca one of the best guards in the game…..i think now its all about these stupid psl’s!!!!!

25. By Eric Allen on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

anthony, the only comment I got from you was posted shortly after we received it around 1:30.

26. By Jeremy on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

This was a very successful draft b/c you have to include Santonio and Cromartie, but losing Leon and Faneca are a shame. I can’t believe the JETS would sell out like that. I’m very disappointed to see Leon go, but at least he’s in the NFC and can’t terrorize us. I’m okay w/ Faneca, I have the utmost confidence in Callahan and if he thinks Hunter, Slauson, and the newbie can handle it, so be it. So much for the thirty plus games of the same O line. Team is definitely younger!

27. By bleedgreen on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree with the Leon trade, but giving up the 7th and him was just down right dumb. The terminator pick was a much needed addition, especially when he can learn from T-Rich. how do we give up a 6th to slide up 12 spots? Why not give up your 6th in next years draft, especially with Rolle on the draft board. We need some extra safety help and the dude would be perfect. Athletic and smart. If he wasn’t a rhode scholar, he would have been taken in the top 2 rounds. Typical Jets, giving up to much.

28. By Ira on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck to Leon no surprise here. Bottom line is the Jets are a better team right now than they were when they walked off the field when they lost in Indy. And we still have the undrafted players to sign and Trader Mike never rests and will add and subtract until the season opener.
    GO JETS!!!!!!

29. By bleedgreen on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I can’t even believe we released Faneca!!!!!!! This move is very questionable, especially since we have to pay him 5.25 million! You mean to tell me he isn’t worth 2 milion for next year? You have got to be kidding me. If nothing else, he could have help this Vald fellow along and increase our depth at the position. COme on Mr. T., I loved all of our off season moves (including trading Leon), although giving away our 6th and 7th pick wasn’t smart, but this one just goes down as horrendous.

30. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Uh, jet80, no speed bursting backs? Whaddya call McKnight? Jetsman and Mr. Green, great, hard-nosed points. anthony desena, go root for the Giants if this O doesn’t excite you. Ablity, Leon’s idiot agent took him off the list of “true blue team players”, to be one of those you have to actually play for the team and not just wrangle over your contract. Anyone see the pattern set by our letting TJ and Leon go? Too much time talking about money and we’ll let you go for new guys no problem.

31. By Bob on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

You can never tell…but my friend, who’s a PT, said that Leon’s injury is very tough to come back from if you’re a speed/moves rusher and returner. They might have been thinking that? Not sure. I really like Leon, too. But I think the guys coming in for him will play very well. I like this draft a lot. Only move I’m concerned about is Jason Taylor. He’s not the best against the run. It would be a shame if other teams start putting a dent into our defense because of that.

32. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

One more thing, guys and gals: The way the draft works now, 6th and 7th round picks are almost a bad deal ’cause you can get the same guys as walk-ons for less cash, like we got Westerman last year. We might be able to get this K from Alabama, for example, on the cheap. And what’s going on with all these questions about KRs? If KW and JMcK handle kicks and punts, with J-Co and JL allowed to forget about that job, that’s the biggest KR upgrade in Jets history! Plus you got BS on kickoffs too.

33. By Jared on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

trading Leon made business sense.He was going to be FA next year, he wanted a lucrative deal that we wouldnt be able to give him because we have to sign other key players (Revis, Mangold, Harris, etc), hes coming off a gruesome leg injury, we dont know how much explosion is left, it just made sense. I liked him a lot but use ur head, it makes sense. But typical Jets fans, we always need to complain about everything. Have faith in Mr. T and Rex, we were 1 game out of the SB last yr. Have faith.

34. By brian on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

go look at the mcknight highlights hes just as good as leon and leon is coming back from a compound fracture in his leg he was not gonna be nearly as fast. faneca is 33 and due for a 6.5 mil roster bonus i think. solid moves by mike t and rex. we need connors cause it looks like the ageless t rich has reached his last season

35. By Freeman McDeal on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Trading Leon for nothing? Total garbage. He was my favorite player and I’ll miss him. And Leon’s case is exactly what’s wrong with the NFL salary structure. Leon outperformed his contract and the Jets played hardball with him. With his injury, he might never get the contract he deserved. Gholston gets guaranteed millions and can’t even buy a sack. Everybody loved Rex on this team. Let’s see how much they love him now that they know they can be next to be dumped like yesterday’s trash.

36. By Ira on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Pats got Mesko and the Giants got Dodge. Those were the two best punters on the board. I still think both parts of the kicking game Mr. T will be watching to upgrade if the chance is there. Let see what Folk can do and i hope he can get back into that 07 groove. I give the Jets an A for the draft. Three picks will contribute right away and Conner will take over next year. And who better to learn from? Only the best T-Rich who is now the leader of this team. Now undrafted players lets see.

37. By Troy on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Leon move is not that bad (though its hard to see him go ) we got good depth at RB , Now the Faneca move is terrible ,in an uncapped year you already owe 5.25 mil whats another 2mil to keep the best line in NFL together and hinging now on a d-2 kid from Umass Turner and Hunter ,this put a damper on the great off season we were having ,this move stinks of Pete Kendall 07 all over again where u take something solid and replace it with a giant ? . i know were not talking A.Clarke here ,but WHY NOW

38. By JP on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Don’t like the Faneca move now as Troy stated.

I would not have let Leon go – yes we got McKnight and Wilson is supposed to be a good returner but Leon is proven. You never know what you are getting from the draft until you put them on the field.

We need better field position, which is why Leon’s return was necessary.

Tfact that Seatle now has White and Leon is pretty impressive.

And regarding PSL…s I still get phone calls and see commercials – not looking good.

39. By Gregg from CA on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

It’s two-cent time! Loved the sarcasm from kpc11, kdr11, whatever the initials were – same things I’ve said before, and well written. As for why so little for Leon when he was tendered as a #2, well it’s the same thing Rooney said when asked why only a #5 for Holmes: Hey, we would have loved better, but nobody was offering! You know how you hear “2 out of 3 ain’t bad”? When it’s 2 bad things out of 3, it ain’t good – injury plus salary squabble outweighs potential playmaking ability. …

40. By charliejet on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Leon gone? One of my favorite players – class act. I’ll mis ya Leon.

41. By Mike429 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I dont know if yall know what kind a break Leon had. Tib/fib break plus it broke the skin. All i know is he may be ok but he maybe not. I will miss him too i loved that guy. But we need to win now and be certain that the players are healthy and able. I remember its a business also. Good Luck to you Leon!

42. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I Like the McKight pick, especially in the 4th round, I thought he may be off the boards by the end of the 3rd. As for the John Conner instead of Leon Washington issue? No one can answer that question right now, maybe by mid season depending on how both work out. John Conner better be one hell of a FB and/or ST players to justify this move in my eyes.

43. By bobtom on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Conner loks like a beast.

44. By Gary C on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

A few of the college players not drafted who jets might sign. Overbay of eastern washington, tight end. Ruffin Northern Iowa, rush linebacker, witten, uconn defensive end. Washington DT, Alabama. Sergio Brown. ND. Antonio Brown, slot receiver.Also these guys will be used for special teams.

45. By jet80 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

’64 Tom I know Mcknight has speed just hope that he can help take the place of Leon cuz Woodhead might not cut the cheese.

46. By Russell on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

With the draft complete, there are some good football players out there that went undrafted. I know no one will listen, but these are some of the players I would like to see the Jets bring in as undrafted free agents:
    1. DE/OLB Lang, Troy
    2. OLB Witten, UConn
    3. DE Washington, Alabama
    4. NT Ivey, Maryland
    5. DE/OLB G.Johnson, Rutgers
    6. NT McGregor, Oklahoma
    7. LS Gresham, TCU or LS Windt, Cincinnati
    With signing 7 undrafted free agents, the Jets have their 80 current man roster.

47. By Rafael on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I like the JC pick. But was there a dire need to move up? Seems like they made a trade just for the sake of it. Leon could’ve potentially been 2 years away from Free Agency. Which means he can sign a tender next year as well. With no salary cap this year, what’s the rush to get rid of him? There wasn’t a Fullback taken until the 7th round. Obviously Mike T knows more than i do, but i feel he could’ve been had later on. With a draft this deep, New England got significantly better….

48. By Gary C on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

stop moaning about Leon and Faneca, class guys indeed but the jets are bringing in players from everywhere and football is not an 80 man roster.someone has to go.and tell me that this guy Connor does not reming you of Leron McClain of Ravens or Mike Alstott or Tom Rathmann.

49. By Ira on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

For all those who think the Faneca moves was bad you have to look at the big picture. They didn’t go into this move blind. This was all about trying to get younger and improve in a position where they thought his play was starting to slip. Remember they are sticking Ducasse or maybe even Slauson or Turner in between 2 Pro Bowl players and they will be fine. Leon’s trade value was good considering his status is uncertain. And i believe he will not be ready until after the 6th week.

50. By Gary C on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

there is still some saneness in society, Rolle got drafted and LaGarrette Blount wasn’t.

51. By sweryd on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

The pick for Conner is the only one that benefited the team. Everyone else is a rookie replacement for an already proven veteran…After all the good off season moves this was disappointing.

52. By Cliff on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

BTW Why do we need to win NOW Mike? I went over our Roster just now. We have one of the youngest teams in all of Football. 5 guys on our team OVER 30? like 7 or 8 30 and over total? Most naturally on the D-Line. *rolls eyes* Thanks Mike T..Our offense is like THE youngest in all of Football. Slaussen, and the Haitian kid will take over this year and next and make our line one of the youngest. We better draft young studs for DLine next year though.

53. By Gary C on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Randy or Eric you have to ask Rex if Connor reminded him of when he had McClain at Baltimore and that is why he drafted him.

54. By Ira on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

EA,
    Its sad to
    say but the name Leon if you’re a player is not a good omen to be drafted by the Jets. Such young bright stars Washington and Johnson both had bad luck with injuries and Johnson really never returned to form. Hope the same doesn’t hold true for Washington.

55. By bleedgreen on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

with Blount not being drafted, what do you guys think about going and picking him up in free agency? Wouldn’t mind having him in there as a bruiser back in case something happens to the stable. I mean this Kid is better than Washington. If it wasn’t for that punch he gets drafted, no questions asked. Jets should definitely consider picking this kid up.

56. By FIsh Hunters on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Leon for all you’ve done for the Jets! We appreciate you and will greatly miss you! Best of luck in Seattle!

57. By SLAZE on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Leon was great.But its a business and we have Joe Mcnight now.Get used to L.T.,Shonn Green and Joe Mcnight All 3 of them! Hope leon does good with the seahawks!

58. By 37 year fan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Good for you Randy , Don’t let them call you out like that !!!

59. By Ablity on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Gary C what this offseason his showed me is that the Jets front office can care less about the “feelings” of the fans and all that matter to them to winning the superbolw and i’m okay with that in way. I just rather win a campoinship with leon wearing jets campoinship gear than jason taylor. I know this leauge is all about winning games but trust me fan respect and love curtain players fore what they do on and off the fleid. and what they mean to the jets team. bottomline LEON IS A JET; JASON NO

60. By keith saunders on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

The nyjets have made the right moves to keep us in the thick of things. I would have to say that the culture has changed, and a tradition of multiple winning seasons are ahead. Thank God we are finally making better decisions in the front office. We can’t be afraid to take chances on playmaker’s, anyone who doesn’t bring the pain every game does not deserve to be a JET.

61. By Alan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Randy. If Gholston is going to be Shaun Ellis’s backup, then whos going to start on the opposite side?

62. By Ken on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

LETTER TO MR T: **Dear Mike, In 2009 the Jets went 9-7. We had the No.1 ranked D & the 20th O with our pass game ranked 31st. Yet our run game was ranked No.1. Yet, you have released some of the key components of that O’s success – Faneca, TJ &, for part of the yr, Leon. What on earth is the logic for manipulating the part of our team that was working well & did not need such drastic change? I tell you – your tactic better work or you alone will be the cause for the rebirth of “Same ol’ Jets”.**

63. By Ken on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Watching the draft I was reminded how selective we fans can be about our draft day success: Harris, Revis, Washington, Sanchez, Keller, D’Brick, Mangold, etc. We forget we traded away Vilma, Abraham, Farrior and so on. Yes, we also got many good players in return. But, without question we still have egg on our face for having traded Riggins. I hope we haven’t done another ‘Riggins’ by trading LW. If yes, there must also be some trading of front office staff within 12mths.

64. By what the on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Sorry makes no sense get rid of a first round pick and pro bowler like faneca and say it`s all ok we got a sixth rounder in slauson with a year under his belt .who are we going to run behind when it`s 3rd and 1 with two minutes to go and where down by 3. No offense to matt but he aint no faneca

65. By Vincent on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Ok ok. So many are questioning their faith in RR and MrT concerning the good players being released. Since we as fans are all just passengers watching this trade show and team building exercise, all I will say is this: This Leon trade better work out or there are going to be some very angry fans if the Jets go backwards in 2010 and the Seahawks and/or Cards end up being great run teams. Some very angry fans.

66. By Ken on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Let me just add that aside from getting rid of Faneca, TJ, Washington, Rhodes and Strickland, we have kept V Golston and acquired J Taylor. Errrr……… uummmmm ……… yeah…… hmmmmmm ……. words escape me.

67. By Frank on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Ira but this team being assembled is not better than the one at the end of last season. You don’t chuck over the side your #1 RB no one on the roster is going to replace 1400 yards and 13 TD’s. The best kicker in the NFL over the last 2 seasons and one of the best long snappers in the game in Dearth and replace both with an unknown and a guy who can’t kick 30 yard field goals. TRex and Tanwoody has dismantled one of the best special teams in the NFL and now they are throwing over the side

68. By Frank on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

our best road grader in the run game. Faneca was a weak pass protector when we got him and that is not our team we are run first. Although Leon was hurt most of the season he was our best returner. We added a WR who is one joint away from ending his career and we won’t have him for 25% of the season and we added a FS who is one concussion away from ending his career and at the end of the 2010 season we will have to replace 40% of our starters. You don’t win championships turning over your roster

69. By Ed in Tucson on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I hate to see Leon go. I hate to see Gronk go to the Pats. I’m afraid of what will happen with Faneca’s departure. Clemmens & Pennington still have nightmares about the season that Pete Kendall left. I like what I read about the Terminator. Kyle Wilson sounds like a great pick. Vlad better be good. I wish we had traded up for Gronk in 2nd rd. But I trust Mr T & Co so I’ll withhold judgement until we see how it plays out. I like moving VG to DE with JT at OLB. Our D looks to be awesome!

70. By Rick on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Leon Washington not being here is the first big mistake since Ryan got here. The man makes things happen and he didn’t get the ball nearly enough while he was here. How many times did he run for a 60 yard touchdown say in the second quarter then never get another touch the rest of the game. If he’s healthy the jets may regret not keeping him.

71. By John S on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

For the first time in many years, my team!!!, the Jets seem to have a true philosophy of how to keep building.You have to break a few eggs if you want to make a great omlet.Loved Leon,I wish him well,Fanica brought professionalism to our line,I wish him the best .Ground and pound the first few games and then slowly open the offense.Field position,turn overs,special teams and have the visiting teams up at night worried when they come to our brand new house…..Rex unlease hell,we will be there!

72. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

bleedgreen, guess you don’t know we tried to trade AF for a pick all week and nobody bit. Row, I’ll remind you in advance for when we cut KC that it was the same with him. Maybe we can get one of the Raiders’ non-Russell backup QBs. Troy, we had depth at RB but not FB, now we got Conner. Freeman, Leon played insane hardball with us by turning down $10 mil for 2 yrs (notice how he’s yet to clarify the “inaccuracy” of this report) and bizarrely insisting on training in FL. We got SH for him, YES!

73. By CA HIZE on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hate to lose Leon and Faneca. Both studs and good luck. Think Connor is the next Lorenzo Neal of NFL. Gonna be around a long time and produce year after year. Peace!

74. By uncle joe on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Leon,I personally loved you but,I bought your Jersey so you were doomed.Good Luck Homie. Hey,did we really get Donovan Warren?AWESOME,though I’m upset we missed on DE Aurthur Jones.Cincy had a great draft.

75. By Jeremy on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Everyone needs to read Rich Cimini’s latest article. The JETS win or lose are going to be screwed soon. All you need to do is read the reaction by Woody and Brick to figure out that the latest moves appear to be a final straw. Cutting TJ and Faneca, not signing Feely, and trading Leon are all losses that saved very little money in the grand scheme of things and appears to have destroyed the team chemistry. Plus with all these “mercenaries” you can’t afford to keep them long-term. So why do it

76. By JetFire2010 on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Rex,
    If your getting trigger happy with the trades and releases,can I float Vernon Gholston’s name at you? Faneca had value,the Leon trade was a major rip-off.Vernon for a seventh in 2013 and be glad to get that!

77. By j-rod on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I was as big of a Leo fan as any other Jet fan here and do understa others setiments about being a “true jet” but how did he help us last year? That’s the problem with NY fans they take a trade of favorite straight to the heart instead of saying we got a young versitile back in Mcknight, lets move on. We never just move on and that’s why we stay so stagnant in acquiring talent. I mean, when did TJ become a great jet rb? 3 yrs ago he scored like 3 td. And the special teams made us a yr ago? When?

78. By MIKE on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I LIKE THIS DRAFT VERY MUCH, GOING WITH A DB WAS A GREAT CHECK MOVE AGAINST MIAMI WHO HAS VASTLY INPROVED THEIR OFFENCE.THE JETS ARE NOW A “ROCK AND SOCKEM” TEAM JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT. OLD FASHIONED WITH A BRUTAL INTIMIDATING STYLE. HATE TO SEE LEON WASHINGTON GO BUT FINNESE DOESN’T WIN IN THIS LEAGUE. PICKING UP HOLMES FROM PITTSBURGH WAS KEY TOO. I BELIEVE IN SECOND CHANGES SO WAS GETTING THAT BALD HEADED DE TAYLOR FROM MIAMI YOU KNOW WHO I MEAN! EXPERIENCE ALWAYS HELPS. GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!

79. By Gary C on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

if the jets sign Blount they might have to rename the jet facility Boys Town and rename Rex Father Flanagan,with all due regards to Spencer Tracy.

80. By commentman on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I dont know why the heck we would trade Leon Washington, and for a 5th round pick!!! If it wasnt for that one stupid play in okland, he would still be ours, I hope he does good in seattle, Thank You Leon For Everything You Done For Us!!! Is it true that T-Rich is going to become one of the coaches? We better not let go of Ellis, he has been a Jet forever.

81. By Edge on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I don’t like the Leon trade. The Jets really hosed this guy.
    First , they don’t extend his contract when he becomes our MVP. Now they don’t give him the opportunity to compete for the job that he earned.
    It’s not just business. This is about people. If I played for the Jets , i would be very careful when dealing with management. Hold out for everything up front.
    Management is not honorable!!!

Lifetime Jets Fan

82. By Eric Allen on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Alan, candidates on the current roster to play the position next to Kris Jenkins and Sione Pouha at nose (called DT, not DE, in Rex Ryan’s and Mike Pettine’s base 3-4 scheme), are Mike DeVito, Ropati Pitoitua and Rodrique Wright, plus first-year players Matt Kroul and Ty Steinkuhler.

83. By Troy on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

ira , no matter how you spin it ,they just got alot weaker at LG , with the lets win it all this season approach they’ve been taking why Move Faneca now for an unproven player,Losing valueably core personaities in the Locker room that were needed to help Gel the newcomers and keep some of them in line.You already have to pay Faneca 5.5mil what’s another 2 mil in a uncapped year, hearing some of our guys reactions to some these cuts and trades so far this offsea.has me worried,that they r woried

84. By Troy on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

continued post.. Im just saying I dont think this was the time to release o vet leader and mess with the best Oline in league’s cohesion that takes so long to build.Just saying we,ve all seen what happens when the Jets have made stupid cuts like this one ,I just think u need someone like Faneca around with his S-BOWL exp.Man im crushed by this move, to me it negates all we have done to improve this team messing with o-line like this. Rex has a daunting task rallying the guys together this year?

85. By SCfromNY on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

A few comments . . . I can not understand the Faneca release since we have to pay him big bucks anyway. McKnight has been injured often so that confuses me. The lack of adding D line depth or a pass rusher seems strange. I am going to hope for a great season BUT the schedule is a monster. The last time the Jets were ahead at the half of a championship game and then lost was a long time ago. It took 10 years to get back here. POTENTIAL is when you have done nothing yet.

86. By gueli on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Leon was good. I am glad he went to seattle (always liked former Jet coach Pete Carrol- I know I am in the minority- always felt Jets did not give him a chance, but anyway) He was not happy with the way the Jets were going to use him. Now we have the future to look foward to. LT (who will be a force this year) Greene (who showed his worth in the playoffs) and rookies McKnight and now John Conner (doesn’t he save the world- gosh I bet he hasn’t heard any terminator jokes throughout his life).

87. By Gary C on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

really like the seledtion of cumberland as college free agent, was wide receiver in college but is very big and can be moved inside,possible depth at tightend.

88. By richthe jet fan on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Still no edge pass rusher jayson Talyor is done. No place kicker is going to kill us bad move with feeley being let go. To many stupid moves ,and these are going too kill us. Should of left well alone see us going backwards the first half of the year..

89. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Cliff, I saw the press conf and learned a few things. As you know, I always say we’re rebuilding the right way and on one level I think we are. But every situation is different and when I listened to Mr. T. and Rex, I sensed that they’re in an enormous race with the Giants to capitalize on the new stadium, which makes this a different kind of rebuilding. Under such circumstances, MS may not get the time Eli did to win an SB, it’s like it’s all amped-up. Maybe not how we’d like it but how it is.

90. By eric on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

leon was not going to resign after this year so mike and rex said lets get our quality(and joe mknight is quality)replacement now plus kyle wilsom returns punts and kickoffs. also, dradting a young fullback to learn from tony richardson who is near retirement and will play this year in ground and pound was a stroke of genius. faneca whiffed on so many guys this year that he only made pro bowl on rep-great move getting younger there. GREAT draft!

91. By JP on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

We all agree we got great picks – we now have to hope they develop into the NFL stars we project.

As for the Faneca/LW transactions, people are split, but I feel we are split on the unknown. Yes, I agree that we needed younger blood in the O line with Faneca getting up there (love the UMASS kid), however, we got within 30 min of the SB with the line we had.
    For LW, if we get great field position and running game is still strong all is forgiven. I do hope it all works out.

92. By CHARLES on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

LOVED YOU LEON. WILL MISS YOU, BUT BROKEN LEG IS A CAREER CHANGER. SURPRISED AT THE PICK FOR THE TERMINATOR. BUT JETS ARE STACKED RIGHT NOW. DEPTH AT RUNNING BACK MEANS THEY’RE PREPARED FOR INJURIES.

93. By Jetsman on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Whoever guessed Vernon Gholston was being moved to DE was correct. There’s a report on NFL.com that he has been moved to DE in an attempt to make him feel more comfortable, and become more athletic at the DE position. Mind you that he racked up 14 sacks as a senior at the DE position, not OLB. Maybe this will help him out? This also fills our DE need. Gholston is supposed to be backing up Shaun Ellis.

94. By Gary C on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

few thoughts on draft.needs to go back to weekend draft,too much time talking nonsense about Clausen and Tebow.Can Mortensen ever get the player right who he is talking about.And please give up with the red carpet,you want these players getting a big head even before taking a snap.If your team does not have picks it lasts forever.

95. By Gerard Lennon on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

leon and mcknight are similar players…but leon a crowd favortie cause of his swagger..this jets favortie will be missed…pumped for nxt season and hard knocks…trying to see some of the camp cause i cant go this year

96. By 10 yr fan hdizzy on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

leon will be missed moment of silence…. but guys he wanted a lot of money do u guys realize we have to pay for the big 4! i’m sick of people doggin lt he is a reciever as well as a running tj was the man and a full running back! but he is no where near a downgrade much more yards then last yr. u’ll see. but we got mcnight let the younger runners do there thing support MIKE T he has been makin moves and lookin out for the future as well as the now of the jets

97. By Gary C on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I was ridiculed on this sight when I suggested that Steelers might try to resign Holmes when he becomes free agent.they have already resigned Foote and McFadden and cannot recollect the other name.That fifth round pick might look good if Holmes isn’t here next year.Jets better start holding on to some of these draft choices.Patriots are back rebuilding already.Short term goals leave long term misery.

98. By Bob on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Looks to me like the new Jets draft for quality, not quantity. Saw it last year, too. I really like Leon and wish him all the best (’till we have to play Seattle)…but McKnight’s a serious young back with moves, speed, and strength. Move of Faneca’s interesting. He’s fast and pulls to the right really well…but Indy played and stuffed that in the playoffs. Greene’s big runs were to the left. Counter plays. Who knows what they’re thinking. They’re smart football guys…I’m keeping the faith.

99. By Rafael on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

NIiiiice. The Jets signed SS/LB Cory Reamer from Alabama & CB Donovan Warren from Michigan. Good pickups for their secondary!! Reamer could also be a linebacker, he’s 6’4″.

100. By Rick Roucoulet on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Something tells me the powers that be (Coach & DRs) noticed Leon just wasnt developing as fast as they hoped & made a move. If I keep telling myself that i’ll feel better about the situation…

101. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Ken, we didn’t trade Riggins, we lost him in the early free agency days when it was the Wild West on contracts and we had other needs. (Still wish we kept him.) Frank, when you see how SG, McK, and JC run next yr, you’ll forget all about “Touch me and I’m down” TJ. And give it a rest with Leon, he “was” a lot of things before he got hurt, now he’s a huge ?. To say a word against SH is absurd, he’s one of the greatest young WRs in the game and I notice BE didn’t have trouble behaving as a Jet.

102. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

To all the folks crying about a K, P, DE, etc., let’s work on our pattern recognition. Last year you said the sky was falling ’cause we didn’t keep Baker, even though Rex kept saying we’d get a TE. We got BH who mostly worked real well with DK and now Baker’s out fishing with Leon. You said our WRs weren’t good enough without giving Stuckey a chance, then weren’t satisfied when we traded him for BE. Sure he drops passes but other WRs have beaten that and besides, you’re not even happy with SH!

103. By Michael on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I think that they did the right thing in regards to the draft! The Jets needed to get a fullback. I think learning from Tony Richardson is going to prove that this was the right decision. I do sort of think that Feely should have been kept. I also think the Jets might want to try moving Gholston to DE. After all, that is what he played in college. What’s the worst that could happen? He gets killed for one game?

104. By Jimmer on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Saturday was a dark day for us all. Leon and Faneca being dismissed and all. Randy(correct me if I’m wrong), we have the only guy in the NFL named VLAD! That in itself is pretty cool. Rex never seemed to like Leon to begin with. He knew about Faneca’s poor pass protection prior to taking the job as well. Losing Leon hurt us all, he must be that hurt. Most of his stuff has already been replaced. We’ll get by just fine.

105. By Jimmer on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

VLAD was actually a pulling tackle which is quite rare. He’s mobile, smart, and strong, which is all a Gaurd needs to be. Mangold is THE MAN when it comes to pointing out the blitz(ZZZ). I see this as a true upgrade, like it’s from hell on top of that. Injuries worry me though.

106. By paulad on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Very upset about Leon and Alan being let go. Leon was a playmaker and the Jets are going to regret this. Releasing Faneca was a stupid move….don’t mess with our O-line. It did a great job last year. And getting rid of Jay Feeley was just plain DUMB. I am most disgusted about Jason Taylor on this team. I don’t care if he’s good,(and that is still questionable). He hates the Jets and he hates the fans. He is only here cause Miami didn’t want him. I am afraid the chemistry will be gone.

107. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Bob, great point, the quality vs. quantity thing occurred to me the other day, too. It can’t be an accident that two years in a row we traded up for the guys we wanted rather than just racking up a lot of picks. Half the guys we signed as FA’s today could’ve easily been 6th or 7th round picks for us or somebody else and a couple of them (Reamer, Warren, Reynolds, the OL guy from Texas) were rated pretty highly. Rick Roucoulet, your post is an island of sanity in a sea of posts about Leon.

108. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

paulad, I’m not that thrilled with the pickup of JT either, because I’m afraid he doesn’t have that much left, but I’m not worried about the “hate” factor. That was over for JT the first time he put on the Jet uniform and started to practice, and that shoulda been when any “hate” for him on our part shoulda ended, too. Trash talk means nothing next to winning.

109. By Ablity on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I am sorry; i hated the Leon move as much as yall but the team we have right now is way better than the team we ended the season with. the fanaca was a great move. if you watch the games since fanaca got here he may have allow the most sack out of any body on our team. the tackle suppose to be the one having problems pass blockn because of the great pass rushing DE’s but our tackles are beast when it comes to pass blocking; it’s alway fanaca allow the sacks and getting pushed back into the QB’s

110. By Ablity on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

So this is what Mr. T was thinking getting rid of fanaca. look fanaca and this kid from Umass is like the same type of player. great runblocker than need help in pass blocking. but the kid from Umass will cost much less and is young. so we put him between the brick and mangold and protect him that way. we just got a whole alot younger on the oline. and no body can tell me that Mcnight is not a better back than leon. So the players we let go we replace with better or just as good players. We good

111. By Troy on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Pats just released A.Thomas , i hope we go get this guy so he can be resurrected under Rex ,he can play De ,OLB and ILB ,thier should be room for him since we didnt draft anyone as a pass rusher and Gholston being moved to DE

112. By Ed in Tucson on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Ira, you’re right, of course, about the Faneca move being the logical one. I just hope Vlad, the Black Russian, is ready to step in. The Leon move was, emotions aside, also the logical move. McKnight is ready from the get-go; we don’t know what LW will be able to do with a rod in his leg. There’s also the way his agent had him confronting the Jets. Like some1 else said, playing between Brick & Nick should help ease whoever starts at LG into the line. Looks to me like we improved O & D this week.

113. By ICO on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

IMO The moves made where made to keep the Jets winning for at least the next three years. The only open issue for the next season is place kicker. Vlad Ducasse will be fun to watch especially on HBO. Did you see his smile when he was drafted by the Jets.
    New England had some good picks especially at TE but the Jets still have the best TE ie Keller. This season should be very entertaining.

114. By Ray on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Gary C, the Steelers TRADING with the Cards to pick McFadden back up is hardly the same scenario as your trolling out there with Holmes. Let’s just see how it plays out and then we can throw the “I told you so’s” back and forth. Bottom line, that 5th rounder we gave up was just coincidentally used by the Steelers in the trade to get McFadden. So in my book, no matter how it plays out, we got the best of that deal.

115. By bleedgreen on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Thomas, Henderson and HOvan are all free agents now. I would love to get 2 of these guys, particularly Henderson and Thomas to help add depth to DT and back up Jenkins. BOth guys are older, but between the 2 of them, we’ll be solid up at DT. As for Thomas, Rex can motivate this guy and he can play a magnitude of different positions. Would LOVE to see him in green and white. The draft moves make a lot more sense if we can pick up these 2 guys. Go JETS!!!!!!

116. By Gary C on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

To Ray, good looking out on that McFadden situation. I was going on what the football network had said.they never stated how he got back to them, my bad.Still not thrilled with Holmes and only time will tell.It is hard to sell a player the jet way like rex is doing when they have come from a team that has won a super bowl

117. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Ray, nice work on McFadden-Holmes. ‘Course, it still astounds me that any Jet fan could have the slightest problem with Antonio Freakin’ Holmes — as if when he caught the TD in the SB we weren’t all saying to ourselves, “Why can’t we ever get a guy like that?” I’ll consider Gary C.’s questions on him ’cause Gary’s instincts are usually good — and virtually infallible in this year’s draft! Still, I’m mighty glad to see the long-overdue end of a long, dull era of slow Jets at skill positions.

118. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Freudian slip on Holmes, it’s ’cause I felt the same way when Cromartie picked off Favre in that game at San Diego.

119. By CanarsieJet on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Really love what the Jets are doing. Win now type situation