• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Ill McKnight: I Just Want to Prove Myself

Posted by Eric Allen on May 1, 2010 – 5:57 pm

At the conclusion of today’s second minicamp workout, Jets rookie RB Joe McKnight told a small gathering of reporters that his second day as a pro was better than a tough day one.

“It was better than yesterday’s,” he said. “I made it through OK. I didn’t give it up today.”

Although McKnight didn’t vomit, he did labor through the morning session and at one point walked over to a goalpost to receive treatment from the training staff. Admitting to nerves Friday, it was also revealed by head coach Rex Ryan and McKnight that the Jets’ fourth-round pick is battling a stomach virus.

“It was certain nerves and a stomach virus. Nerves was a part of it, but it wasn’t the whole part of it,” he said. “I was real sick when I came out but that’s no excuse. I should come out and practice.”

On numerous occasions the past two days, you’ve seen the burst and shiftiness that made McKnight a top-flight college running back his junior season at USC. But he’s also dropped a few passes and has had difficulty adjusting to the NFL pace.

“I’m just trying to get used to this process, the tempo of practice and the whole practice in general, meetings and everything,” he said. “I’m trying to get used to it. Once I get used to it, everything should be easy.”

Running backs coach Anthony Lynn wants McKnight to realize the opportunity he has in front of him and for the rookie to take advantage of it.

“Just being a pro, that’s basically what he tells me every day. He didn’t like the way I was throwing up and everything,” he said. “Professionals don’t do that. Once you’re here, there are a lot of people in the world dying to be in this position and I just have to take full advantage of it.”

Saying he’s just in “OK shape,” McKnight said he might extend his stay in Florham Park past Sunday when camp concludes.

“Tomorrow I just want to accomplish that I proved something to the coaches,” he said. “That’s the only thing I’m worrying about, just proving myself.”

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 38 Comments »

38 Responses to “Ill McKnight: I Just Want to Prove Myself”

1. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 1, 2010 | Reply

So it turns out the guy’s got stomach flu. Funny, NBC didn’t bother investigating that, which most any responsible reporter would’ve done, before printing the headline, “JET’S BAD FIRST DAY.” Where’s the follow-up praising him for playing despite being sick? I don’t think we can afford to be so gullible when it comes to negative reports about our players. What I like is Rex’s talk of the guy’s moves and burst, which we need in more plays than Leon was able to handle or we wanted to give him.

2. By Ira on May 1, 2010 | Reply

EA,
    The print media has already jumped all over McKnight. Come on now its only a rookie/tryout camp. Plus he said he was sick. I give the kid credit for fighting through it. I think they have another 4th rd gem in McKnight. This kid is going to be very good. EA, How about a report on Warren?

3. By Gregg from CA on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Good on ya, Joe! It’s good to see that you already understand one of the Pro rules: There’s no calling in sick. Keep hydrated, take advantage of the world class staff and facilities, and make us proud! Make sure you remember another rule as well: Music and airplanes don’t mix (Grace Slick and Paul Kantner notwithstanding).

4. By Cliff on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Another Jets draft bust??

5. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 1, 2010 | Reply

So no sooner is the Holmes story over — and I must say the posts on the NFL site dismissing the whole thing made some of our posts look weak — today there’s another shocking story: Faneca says he wasn’t asked to take a pay cut before he was released! And of course as all good Jets-haters know, his side of it is all that counts. Not how he performed last year, not what may have been discussed about his role this year, just whatever makes the Jets look bad. Next big scandal: Rex likes carbs!

6. By Eric Allen on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Ira, we’ll do more on Donovan Warren but I did a separate note on him in my Friday blog that led off with my chat with Vlad Ducasse.

7. By Gary C on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Say it ain’t so Joe, only reason Rex gave you number 25 was not to compare you to Reggie Bush, it was to tell you just outrush Kerry Rhodes rushing yards.Before I get bashed again by my fellow jet bloggers I am a big McKnight fan and hope he does well. fans have to lighten up, it is only minicamp.

8. By Doug on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Cliff–are you a Jet trasher? If you’re a fan,please act like one or take your
    quick to be negative posts to another site That was a rediculous post on one
    of our exciting new players

9. By Ray on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Ira I wish you had defended Holmes the same way you defended McKnight here. Despite rep, they both deserve to be treated fairly.

10. By Ray on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Gotta love this kid Buckman…skips his Brothers wedding, where he was to be the groomsman, to attend Jets mini camp!! I love guys like this. I like what I heard about Reamer on the first day too… maybe we got a young Izzo on the team….

11. By dougmc on May 1, 2010 | Reply

This is a very strong team that should go far in playoff if not Superbowl. .Draft and all preseason moves are terrific.Other teams improved as well so schedule isn’t as easy as it first appeared.Cromartie and Holmes will be fine and extremly productive.Greene,Tomlinson,Mcknight and others teamed with this line will be solid.I may view life thru Greencolored glasses but I even think Gholston has something. I don’t see anyone else throwing up this year…J-E-T-s…JetsJetsJets…

12. By scjoe on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I would say to Mr McKnight, you prove yourself by coming in to camp in shape, do as you are told, and don’t complain about what uni number you were assigned. But hey, that is only if you want to stick around a while.

13. By Mike Jet Vet on May 2, 2010 | Reply

off topic..When did all these sportscasters NFL network included.. become such drama queens ,I wanna read about football all they do is fixate on the negative . why don’t these guys go to work for TMC .who cares about Ipods laptops cell phones most of all twitter .I wanna know who’s making the team who’s not whats going on in our division ..Guess it would be 2 much 2 ask but I’ll take a shot .. WRITE ABOUT players who are and do good real role models you know the other 90%.. sad very sad

14. By Jimmy Cheese on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Sick or not, he apparently did not look very prepared for camp. Sick has nothing to do with dropping passes out of the backfield. Also, did anyone confirm he indeed was sick? He admitted he’s not in the best shape, which says a lot for someone that has a shot at being in the NFL. Yes, there were reasons why LW was traded, but he never showed up to camp barfing up and admitting he was out of shape. Between the LW trade and cutting AF, we have a lot gambling on rookies.. and of course SH.

15. By Fish Hunters on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Here ya go Randy…Get ready for the “Bermuda Triangle”. Receivers getting lost on the Island Chains of Revis, Cromartie and WIlson! lol! Gotta love it!

16. By Ira on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Ray, You are correct. There were so many reports about what MIGHT have happened. Who knows? But with his past you automatically think the worst. Glad the NY Post’s story of a misunderstanding is what really happened and i will let him slide on this one. Wonder if he is just going to be a target for anything? I am really hoping this kid can get his life in order. Not only for the Jets but for himself. GO HOLMES!!!!!!! But i still wouldn’t mind LC to be added.

17. By Frank on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Sorry boys you draft and trade for headaches and guys with character issues you have to deal with the negativity that comes with it. Getting one guy who has issues is one thing when you dump multiple great character guys and replace them with these guys you can expect negative things to happen. Expect the chemistry on this team to implode this year.

18. By Ira on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Randy, Is it me or is it the media that covers all NFL teams around the country making too much of a big deal how players preform especially the ones that were drafted in rookie min-camp/tryout weekend? Or is it just like anything else in todays world how the media blows things out of porportion?

DECLINED: ANSWERED IN A BLOG

19. By Gary C on May 2, 2010 | Reply

To all my jet bloggers, please sit down before you read this, wouldn’t be crazy if Ducasse would be compared to Larry Allen in the future,both coming from small schools, playing same position and both men with tremendous size and athletic ability.

20. By Mike Jet Vet on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Here’s my opinion on this McKNight story ,seems to me he’s having more trouble adjusting then most ..,vomiting nerves doubting himself I can understand having a stomach flu but sounds like it;s a whole lot more hoping I’m wrong ..That being said watching tapes on McKight shows he has enough talent to go along way ..Now can we get some updates about the FG/punter situation who’s stepping up who’s not hows Jenks coming back is he in shape..How I long for the good old days

21. By Ed in Tucson on May 2, 2010 | Reply

One practice & Cliff is ready to call him a bust? I’m glad he’s not on the Jets’ staff. Any reasonable person knows it takes years to evaluate a draft pick. Even VG can rehabilitate Jets’ fans perceptions of his value. One of Rex’s mistakes may have been to continue the Mangenius effort to make VG an OLB instead of his natural position, DE. It’s possible that he’ll be very productive this year, rotating with SE, that could be a powerful position. I’m looking forward to seeing Vlad the Impaler!

22. By Gary C on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Hoping McKnight does not shy away from the spotlight,he is in New York now.A little disconcerting why he got upset wtih the number situation.what happens if he misses a blitz and Sanchez gets whacked.Hopefully he embraces the challenge and doesn’t implode.we need his speed and elusiveness in offense.

23. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Jimmy Cheese, didn’t I just watch Mr. T last week say that when LW first came to camp “He could not catch a punt, he was below average” and then of course he became an All-Pro KR? I don’t seem to remember anyone calling LW a bust back then but when your version of rooting for a team is predicting disaster at the slightest problem, like Frank does here, what can you expect? “Gambling on rookies” is how you build a team, Jimmy, like last year with MS and SG. And if you call an SB MVP a “gamble…”

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Also on SH: Have any of you guys who are so worried about iPods considered how many WRs have EVER won the MVP in the SB? And Ira, for a guy who’s so astute about football, I’m shocked at how clueless you sound about ethics, fairness, and justice. “But with his past you automatically think the worst” — no, YOU automatically think the worst, and it’s a pretty sad admission. Thanks for saying you’ll “let him slide on this one.” I’m sure he’s grateful since apparently exactly nothing happened.

25. By Ray on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Don’t get me wrong Ira, I agree he is on a way shorter leash than everyone else. But my frustration with this was reading so many posts from people just taking the report and injecting their own theories into it like they knew what happened. And Frank, there is no doubt this team took a high risk, high reward approach to this season. It may blow up in their face, but it may be magic, time will tell. It worked for the Raiders of the 70’s & 80’s, it blew up on Washington recently.

26. By Eric Allen on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Ed in Tuscon, I want to go on the record with my nickname for Ducasse once he smothers an opposing DT: Vlad the Inhaler.

27. By scjoe on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I agree big time Tom64 about doing something about the P/FG issue, because that punter sure as hell is not on this roster yet. The PK we can give the benefit of the doubt here at least through training camp, but that punting situation absolutely needs to be addressed sooner rather then later.

28. By Gary C on May 2, 2010 | Reply

jet fan tom, I will have to amend that statement about holmes,If he does well that will only enforce my statement I also made about Clowney who I said would not catch as many passes in his jet career as Lam Jones.Clowney will rarely see the field and might not even make team with cotchery, holmes, smith and edwards as your wrs.And I am not even counting britt davis, aundrae allison and Marcus Henry.

29. By aaron l on May 2, 2010 | Reply

hey running backs coach, coach em’ up, i am all for that! but pros don’t vomit? what a silly thing to say, not to mention it is not true at all . just exactly what would you recommend to stop a player from throwing up? it isn’t a choice last time i checked? lol!

30. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Okay, Gary C., least now we’re talkin’ football, not gossip. I’ll be happy to see SH play for us like he did for PIT if it means Clowney never getting on the field much for us. There’s still a lot I like about the Clown but I can’t say I know why he didn’t get a little more time last year. AA looked awesome before he got hurt, Davis dropped some passes, and Ira says Henry’s too slow. Overall we’re great at WR. scjoe, given Rex’s restlessness at P last summer, I doubt we’re done at P and K yet.

31. By Ed in Tucson on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Vlad the Inhaler? Lol, very good Randy :) I want to go on record that Nick Folk will get his mechanics issues worked out, with the help of the Jets’ excellent ST coaching staff, & will return to Pro Bowl form. I forget where I read it but someone suggested that the Jets’ Nickle package CBs will be known as the Bermuda Triangle, I like that. Go Jets!

32. By JonnyJet on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Hmmm….I seem to remember when I was in college before a practice in hockey getting sick. The cause….a drinking binge the night before. Did anyone go to the trouble of finding out where Mr Mcknight was the night before practice? Is it possible that coach was laying it on pretty thick becuase he knew something the media didn’t know? Stomach virus, maybe, but I think hangover is more likely. I’m sure that won’t happen again…lol

33. By because Blinka has a life on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Old 54 loves the Jets and follows this junk, but some of you need to get a life.

34. By Gary C on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Ed from Tucson, stop stealing my line about Vlad the impaler.I mentioned his other alias as Count Dracula about a week ago.Said it was time that he sunk his teeth into some defensive lineman.I might have to take off to the carpathian mountains and ressurect the body.

35. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 3, 2010 | Reply

My experience of sitting midfield at Shea from ’64-’81, Blinka, is that Jets fans have great lives but I’ll tell you a story from mine. When I was the editor of the Playboy Book Club (a pretty cool job, I might add), I was allowed to buy all kinds of books to offer in the club, not just ones with pictures of women. One day a book called “How Life Imitates the World Series” came across my desk. I don’t have it around anymore but that’s how I feel about football, especially NEW YORK JETS football!

36. By Row on May 4, 2010 | Reply

This is what we get for signing a primma donna from USC. They are almost always overrated in a gimmick offense that actually went downhill last year. Mcknight can excell because of his speed, but durability seems to be the big issue. I am very excited about his big play ability. The big question is “How did Wilson look returning punts?”
    On Holmes, I really couldn’t care less if he forgot to turn his ipod off. These NFL fines for making statements are ridiculous and unconstitutional. Go Jets

37. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on May 4, 2010 | Reply

I have the same hopes and reservations about McKnight, Row, but I had a lot more of the latter about MS, so I’m okay with things so far. But I wouldn’t go as far as to tar all USC players with the same “prima donna” brush — for one thing, our team can’t afford to do it. I can think of more than a few USC guys over the last ten or twenty years that we would’ve done just fine with.

38. By BRIAN BUSH on May 10, 2010 | Reply

WE ARE TEAM..OWNER..COACHES…STAFF..PLAYERS…FANS..WE ARE ALL TEAM..WE NEED TO BE GREEN AND WHITE THROUGH AND THROUGH.I LIVE IN MISSOURI HAVE BEEN A JETS FAN FOR 27 YEARS.MY UNCLE LIVES IN ORCHARD PARK AND OF COURSE IS A BULL FAN…OH ITS A BUFFALO.WELL.WHATEVER..I HAVE BACKED THE JETS FOREVER..BEEN TO GAMES IN ST.LOUIS AND KC,CLEVELAND AND PITTSBURGH..HAVE TAKEN ALOT OF CRAP OVER THE YEARS.ONE THING I KNOW IS WE GOTTA BE ONE….ALL OF US..I HOPE TO SOME DAY SEE INSIDE OUR HOME STADIUM..TEAM