• Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

David Clowney Remains a Man on the Go

Posted by Randy Lange on June 1, 2010 – 3:42 pm

It could be a bit worthy of Seinfeld ("Don’t you know the difference between "seltzer" and "salsa"?) or Abbott and Costello.

Did you hear about David Clowney being the gunner?

Going to Ghana? Why, yes, I heard he is.

I said "gunner."

Yeah, I know. It’s pronounced "Ghana."

Clowney recently said in an Associated Press story that he’s gonna step into the fray and fill the role of the Jets’ punt-cover team’s flyer, a.k.a. gunner, held for several years by the since-departed Wallace Wright.

"I know I can do it — that’s not a question," Clowney told AP. "I come from a special-teams college at Virginia Tech. I started at flyer my last two years of college. It’s something I’m not new to."

Nor is he new to helping out his fellow man. Clowney was a part of the humanitarian visit by a group of Jets to Haiti. And from July 19-26, just before the start of training camp, he’s got his trip to the West African country of Ghana.

"I’ll be visiting children’s hospitals, helping the children of Ghana and hosting an American football camp for the kids," he blogs. "It’s been a dream of mine since I was a kid and now I have the opportunity to do so." He’s already raised over $10,000 for the trip and he’s reaching out to teammates plus some opponents such as Colts RB Joseph Addai and Bills CB Drayton Florence to make the trip with him.

The journey originally was scheduled for July 3-10 but has been rescheduled, and for that we have to get back to the Clown and football. The Jets’ receivers will be flying west, not east, earlier in July to take part in several days of an informal team passing camp with Mark Sanchez back near his Mission Viejo, Calif., stomping grounds.

"The wideouts, the quarterbacks, the tight ends, we’re going to go through plays, routes and things out there," Clowney said. "A couple of guys are still learning the playbook. We’re all getting everything down, helping each other out. We’re just trying to do things as a corps. You’ve got to do stuff like this. There’s never time away from football. It’s year-round."

Especially if you want to play deep into the new year. Clowney refuses to look at the addition of Santonio Holmes, for instance, as a crimp in his playing time plans.

"Of course I want to play as many snaps as I can," he said. "But what’s more important is to win a Super Bowl, and Santonio is a good addition to help us do that."

As if he’s not busy enough, Clowney also has his annual football camp for the youth of Palm Beach County and South Florida, which this year he’s holding in the middle of what he’s calling the David Clowney Foundation Celebrity Weekend, running from June 25-27. You can find details on his Website here.

Intern Arrives in the Nick of Time

I wanted to let all you who read our Website closely that you’ll soon be reading content from a new source on newyorkjets.com.

Nick Gallo, 21, is our new seasonal intern, having ventured north from a life spent mostly in the Southland. He hails from North Carolina, having attended Durham Academy, and has just graduated from Vanderbilt University with his degree in political science (and a minor in corporate strategy).

Most important, perhaps, for Jets fans is that Nick knows his way around an NFL team, having served the previous two summers as a training camp intern with the Tennessee Titans and continuing that work on regular-season gamedays in Nashville.

Now if he can find his way around North Jersey’s notorious rush hour traffic, we’ll be all set. Nick will start reporting for us from Thursday’s media-availability OTA practice, if not sooner.

Tags: , ,

32 Responses to “David Clowney Remains a Man on the Go”

1. By Ira on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

randy, Nice that you give Clowney the credit he deserves. Great stuff he is doing and he also held a fund raiser at an Applebees in east hanover on 5/18 which a lot of his teamates showed up. It was a great night and David and the other players couldn’t have been nicer. Not only did they mingle with the fans, take pics and sign things, they actually were waiters and served dinner. Kudos to all the players including a future HOF RB. LT showed up and he was so great. Nice job by all.

2. By OriginalJetFan on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

I love this guy, hopefully not only will he be the gunner we need, but given the chance he could evolve into a legit deep threat receiver, so if sresigning Braylon doesnt work out , we don’t miss a beat.

You can’t catch the Clown!!, go get em David!

3. By 37 year fan on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Nick , You better bring your ” A ” game ! This place aint for sissys. The resume , to be honest , not that impressive . Welcome to New York

4. By scjoe on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Tom64. You say “Clowney and/or Allison have not stepped up” Well, how in the hell can they step up on the bench or on IR? Regardless of what you, or anyone else questions about their ability, I feel both “can” be quality receivers in this league if given the chance. And no, playing a couple of plays in pre season and even a few during the reg season does NOT constitute given a chance. Should a couple of our receivers go down with season ending injuries and one or both have to step in and play…

5. By 37 year fan on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Clowney and the entire Jets team …..Class act.

6. By scjoe on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

cont…and play full time, THEN, show that they did not, or can not “step up” only then will I agree with your assessment of both players. Or maybe you know something Rex and Mike T do not know about these players. After all, Clowney has been on the roster for three years from where I stand. Why is he taking up a valuable roster spot if the FO or the coaching staff feel he is “not stepping up”? Remember Tom, we are in the FA era! It is not WHO we want, it is who we can sign or not sign.

7. By Fred on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Nice piece on David Clowney & hopefully the ST position will work out as well as catching a few deep balls. With all the competition at WR perhaps old fashion performance will determine who gets offered contracts. Lets Go Jets!!!

8. By Randy Lange on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey, 37 year fan, the guy’s 21 years old and has worked for an NFL team for two seasons. Not that impressive? Are you kidding me? (Welcome to New York. I’m not gonna let you throw my new guy under the bus that quickly.)

9. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

On the contrary, scjoe, Mr. T and especially Rex know things about Clowney and Smith that we don’t. Clowney was de-activated by Rex one time last year, Rex said he didn’t know where he was in the first MIA game, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. For all we know, he’s not good enough in practices to merit game time. As for Smith, he’s shown zero at WR, it’s actually pretty pathetic at times. And I’m not at all sure Clown will have a roster spot all that long if he doesn’t make it at gunner.

10. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

For more on Clowney, scjoe, see my post on the Flight Crew story, which wasn’t up when you posted. Funny you’re telling me I’m underestimating him, I can’t remember who it is — somebody who posts a lot — who said several times I put too much confidence in him by saying he’ll outdo Lam Jones. All I know is, if you had to start everybody to know whether they’re worth starting, you wouldn’t need practices. And any team that picks up BE and SH in just over three months ain’t thrilled with its WRs.

11. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey scjoe, obvious mix-up on my part, I just remembered that the first MIA game was the one in which Clowney did great and Rex said he “did everything we asked of him.” I think it was a couple of games later, maybe against BUF or MIA, when Rex made a point of de-activating him for reasons that weren’t made public as far as I remember. Maybe Randy knows which game it was. Anyway, my point is whether it’s draft picks or assignments or contracts or whatever, the coaches always have info we don’t.

12. By 37 year fan on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Randy , I’m just kidding .

13. By Randy Lange on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Me, too, 37. I never doubted your support. We’ll get Nick up and running at Thursday’s OTA practice.

14. By Randy Lange on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Tom, David Clowney was inactive for four games last season: Game 3 vs. TEN, Game 14 vs. ATL, Game 16 vs. CIN and the AFC Divisional Game at SD.

15. By 37 year fan on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Randy, Can’t we joke around with the new guy a little ?

16. By Mike Jet Vet on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Randy good looking out for your new pup Nick Gallo with you at the held he’ll be just fine..Next Clowney 3 seasons and no cigars title given him gunner speaks volumes about any future catching balls for the Jets other then spot duty in comes B-E S-H out go’s Clowney.. Ainge had a story career in college and looked very promising in preseason in comes M-S out go’s Aint i believe either one given the full chance would have saved us money players and picks but what do I know.. Oh yeah PSLs

17. By uncle joe on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey Randy, I’ll help out “37 year fan” by just saying,this Nick Gallo is Like Kyle Wilson, he might be good one day but for now just learn from the elite.Randy and EA are like Revis and Cromartie!

18. By Randy Lange on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

uncle joe, EA’s a little more Revis-like. I’m more of a Big Jenks type. We’ll definitely coach Nick G up.

19. By Gary C on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Yes I was the one who made comment about year ago that Clowney would not catch as many balls in jet career as Lam Jones, Tom64 used to ridicule me about that comment, but I think it will come to fruition.Just like I said the Jets needed to draft Best or Mcknight.

20. By frannybabe on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Nick, you’ll have to forgive some of the “clowns” on here who subject us to their primitive humor. Good luck to you, Randy will be a great teacher. As for “the Clown” I think this trial at gunner will either make or break his chance to stay with the team as Jet Fan 64 said and if Allison can stay healthy, I feel he’ll quickly pass him on the depth chart. May the best man win ! As for ST, i think replacing Wallace Wright will not be an easy task, he was special.

21. By 37 year fan on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey thanks for the support Uncle Joe.

22. By 37 year fan on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Oh come on Franny , lighten’ up . Can’t even joke around anymore …..I guess it’s no longer P.C. to ras the new guys comin’ in . Sorry . I didn’t realize I was going create such a stir

23. By 37 year fan on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

O.K. maybe I’m not Don Rickles.

24. By scjoe on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Tom64, funny, you didn’t once touch on how you feel the Jets can resign all those players I listed on my last post who’s contracts will expire either this season or next, and the fact that Clowney, Smith, and Allison may just be around out of necessity, like it or not! Also, as I posted, what are the odds of a player hanging around the active roster for three years if there is absolutely no potential? That is a fact you need to address Tom. I haven’t heard Clowney’s name a lot re STs. So???

25. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for reminding me, Gary C., and I’m not ridiculing you now, ’cause any team that goes out and gets Edwards and Holmes that fast ain’t waitin’ around for any Clowney/Jones comparisons to pan out or not! And thanks for the info on Clowney, Randy. Actually, I knew he was inactive for more than one game, but I couldn’t remember that specific game for which Rex made a point of deactivating him and hinting that it was because of his attitude. You guys covered it on the site.

26. By Randy Lange on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Just to repeat for all needing, we’re all joking around here, New York-style. Nick Gallo appreciates your interest. And we’ve got him working on a piece with the Jets doing promos with HBO for Hard Knocks this afternoon. That’ll be live on the site late this afternoon.

27. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

VG, KC, and other Jets have all been hanging around awhile without realizing their alleged potential, scjoe. I think me, frannybabe, and Gary C. got it right, this year Clown’s not even gonna line up at WR if he can’t hack gunner and if he can’t hack it, he might be gone. As for signing guys, we’ve got government people who’ve never run a Burger King managing federal and state budgets, so I REALLY don’t think any of us on the outside are qualified to guess what the Jets can/will spend on who.

28. By Gary C on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

the Clowney case only reminds us never take pre season serious especially when your going against other teams third and fourth stringers.You look like a superstar in August only to fall on scrap heap in September.It also shows the difference between first stringers and guys who are trying to make teams,it is like night and day.

29. By Row on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

Gary, you should watch film. I have not once seen Clowney fail to produce when the ball is thrown his way. Maybe you should take a look at the guy who has identical stats to Jamarcus Russell and is our starting QB. Then you can say Clowney is a 4th stringer. #1 defense, #1 rushing game, in addition to very good kicking is what won us games. We were 31st in the NFL in passing yards. Go Jets

30. By Gary C on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

to Row, I never said Clowney was a fourth stringer,he made his name playing against fourth stringers in preseason.As for Sanchez the guy was a rookie,for some reason I think Sanchez will accomplish more than Clowney will.

31. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, Gary C., I’m with you on Sanchez vs. Clowney — the “some reason” you cite is how well Sanchez played at the end of the year as opposed to Clowney, who’s yet to have an impact at all beyond one game in Miami.

32. By ACole on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Clowney is a good reciever he never got the ball thrown his way even when wide open sanchez has tunnel vision and looked at edwards as a go to when keller adn clowny woudl be open most notably their last lost last year blame it on the qb he catches ballsanywhere near his hands