• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 3:30 PM EST Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey, Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Defensive Coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 29, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Revis Gets a Great New Title from ESPNTM

Posted by Eric Allen on July 1, 2010 – 8:17 am

Who is the best current defender in all of team sports? ESPN The Magazine takes on that question this month in its "Best in Sports" issue and senior writer Shaun Assael gives the nod to Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis.

“They didn’t give me a trophy. They’re putting me in the magazine,” said Revis last week at a photo shoot at the Home of the Jets. “It’s a great honor. I appreciate ESPN reaching out to me, and thinking of me as the top defensive player in all of team sports is great.”

Revis, who will turn 25 next month, was named runnerup behind Packers CB Charles Woodson in the 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year voting and the AFC Defensive Player of the Year at the NFL 101 Awards. The Curtis Martin Team MVP had six interceptions (one returned for a score) and an NFL-high 34 passes defensed for the league’s No. 1 unit in both points allowed (14.8 per game) and pass defense (153.7 ypg).

“There are a lot of things going on that I’m getting into off the field. It’s great,” he said when asked about the love he’s gotten recently from both ESPN and The Sporting News. “You have to enjoy it, don’t put any pressure on yourself and have fun. I’m living a dream and this is what I always wanted to be — the top corner in the NFL — and now stay on top.”

An outstanding basketball player at Aliquippa High School in Pittsburgh, Revis turned to the NBA when asked who he thought were some of the best individual defenders in team sports.

“I like [Lakers forward] Ron Artest and how he defends. He did a great job trying to shut down some of the best scorers in the NBA,” said the man who led his high school to back-to-back WPIAL AA championships and averaged 22.8 points a game his senior season. “[Trevor] Ariza from the Rockets. As far as NFL guys, [Raiders CB] Nnamdi Asomugha, and Asante Samuel is always up there in interceptions, Julius Peppers does a great job, Dwight Freeney, Charles Woodson.

"There are a lot of guys out there."

But Assael says nobody’s better than Revis. After posing for a bunch of shots, Revis looked up at the four enormous videoboards at the new stadium and saw images of him displayed in all corners.

“This is not Darrelle Revis Day, is it? This is great. The stadium is lovely. We practiced here last week and I got a chance to get a feel for the new turf. This is unbelievable,” he said. “Everything is happening for this organization. In the past, there were struggles with a lot of bad seasons. But we have the right guys in here and we have the right coach in here. We’re doing a great job with the new stadium. Everything is just clicking the right way and this is the way to build a championship-type organization.”

Reed’s Status Bears Watching

In exactly 11 weeks, the Jets and the Ravens will play the first nationally televised game at the New Meadowlands Stadium. Baltimore’s sure to be a formidable foe, but what will the health of all-world safety Ed Reed be on Sept. 13?

The 5’11”, 200-pound Reed contemplated retirement before electing for surgery to fix a torn labrum in his hip this offseason. In a recent interview on Sirius Mad Dog Radio, Reed said his rehabilitation should take four to six months.

“I want to be ready for the first game, but I don’t know how soon that would happen, how soon I would be back,” Reed said. “You know, we’re gonna continue to do the things to try and get back and at least play this year for the fans, man, cause they’ve been hounding me, man.”

A gamechanger, Reed has 46 career regular-season interceptions and he’s returned six for scores. Despite playing hurt in last year’s postseason, he collected a pick each off of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

"It’s still a long, slow process, you know, and I try to do some stuff to strengthen it right now and I know it’s just weak but I mean, yeah, I had to have reconstructive surgery," he said. "They had to go in and reconstruct my whole hip. They took about six or seven inches from my IT band, replaced my labrum that I tore. They went in in two spots, so I mean it’s a slow process. Plus I have other injuries that, you know, really probably had an effect on causing this that I have to pay attention to also. So I’m just taking my time.”

Tags: , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 51 Comments »

51 Responses to “Revis Gets a Great New Title from ESPNTM”

1. By Ira on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

EA, Yeah saw thiat article yesterday. He broke Revis down real well and he thought that INT @ Cinny like i thought was one of his best INT’s. I still say Revis’ basketball skills are a big reason he covers so well. So while its crazy $ they need to pay the man and get him into camp. Woody can thank Uncle Al. BTW Bailey is making about 13 mill this year. Best pair of safties in the NFL right now i believe are Wilson and Rhodes.

2. By BriGuyinFL on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the article. I am starvin like marvin over here with no football news to read about. Only thing I have to keep myself entertained is going over and getting the patsy fans all riled up about our team. Those idiots think we will start the season 0-3. It sure is fun to poke crazy in the eye.

3. By uncle joe on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

Ira,Who is Wilson,are you saying that Arizona has the best pair of Safeties in the league? WHAT?80% of Revis’ INTs are amazing,he just has an amazing knack for going up for a ball at the perfect time.One of his best was that one in the endzone against Oak.If he wants to be the top paid CB then pay him $100 more than the highest paid CB with a clause that if the other player(Asomuga)contract is nulified then Revis would get 100 more than the next Highest CB for duration of his contract!

4. By Ira on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

uncle joe,
    Adrian Wilson is one of the best safties in the NFL. He was a 3rd pick out of NC State in 01. For his career he has 695 tackles,20.5 sacks,23 INT’s and 13 FF’s. This guy can play for my team anyday. But i am more then happy with Leonhard[Nails],Pool,Digs and E.Smith.

5. By Alan on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

Ira, Rhodes is not one of the best safeties, I love Adrian Wilson, but Rhodes is not that, Rolle is better then Rhodes, and when Rolle was in Arizona they did not have the best pair of Safeties. By team im stuck between the giants pair of Kenny Phillips and Antrel Rolle. Bills have a good pair also with Byrd and Whitner. The steelers pair of Polamalu and Ryan Clark is also good. Favorite Revis Int’s? I would say His Game Ending int against dolphins in 08, and The one against the chargers.

6. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

Eric and Ira, I barely skimmed this article, I’m tired of Revis worship. His attitude is horrible, he’s become a distraction, and he has the mindset of a 4-year-old throwing a tantrum over a toy. I don’t want to read about him praising Samuel, who gets one-third the money that he’s asking per year. I simply want him to drop the nonsense, get his head screwed on straight, and accept a contract that doesn’t stop us from signing other players on the team. If he can’t do that, he can talk a hike.

7. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

And Ira, are you referring to KERRY Rhodes? Hey, loyalty to Jets is one thing, bizarre praise of ex-Jets whose backs we should be very glad to see is quite another. Don’t you remember the game last year, after Rhodes became the starter again, when he danced around that RB in the open field rather than hit him? When the announcer said, “If he keeps on doing that, he’s gonna be back on the bench!”? Maybe you’re referring to some other Rhodes in the league, one who knows how to play S with guts.

8. By mattyb143224 on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

Uncle Joe, who is Wilson? do you watch the NFL? Adrian Wilson is one of the best safties in the NFL. Wow

9. By Gary C on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

If the jets ever bring in Russell to back up Sanchez, we will have to exhume the body of Spencer Tracy to play Father Flanagan again. It is becoming like Boys Town east with this group. I am really surprised they did not go after Pacman.Have to hand it to Jet Fan tom.He seems to be the only guy who is seeing the real Revis.Just another egotist.

10. By JOHNNY A on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

I don’t often agree with tom64′, but I have to say he’s right-for the most part- about Revis & the way he’s handled all of this. 1st off, Im shocked, because he’s been nothing short of classy and he’s been a “team first” guy from day 1. Yet, it seems he’s adopted the attitude of his bratty agent with his response to the pace of the negotiations. #24;You have 3yrs left & though ur making 1 million this yr,uve 30 mil guaranteed coming to U, & u made 20mil so far. Dnt worry, U can “Feed” ur family!

11. By Ryan15321 on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

Okay jets fan since ’64, i know what you mean by the praising getting annoying but he deserves it and how is his attitude horrible? He’s very humble, he loves the game, and works hard. I guess thats a bad attitude, especially compared to other players on our team. But really pay the guy. He’s better than Namdi Asmougha and this all business to him as it is with every other player in the league so dont blame himm. As far as best safety duo in the league go, Antoine Bethea and Bob Sanders Colts.

12. By BriGuyinFL on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

matty..i think you missed uncle joe’s point so I will type extra slow.

Who is Wilson, must not be talking about Adrian Wilson because he plays with Kerry Big News Rhodes.

There ya go matty. Kerry went from blaming Mangini’s system to Rex playing favorites. He really should blame his contract he signed because as a safety(or any nfl player imo) you have to be hungry and have to commit. Something he could not do and something that I am glad that every other player on our teams seems to be

13. By Ira on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

Tom, Listen Kerry needed a new change of scenery. He underachieved for whatever reason under a system he should’ve have a great year. I wish him well and hope he makes the Pro Bowl some day. Just for the record according to Pro Football Focus.Com’s #’s he was rated the #2 safety in the league last year by their #’s. He is a very gifted athlete and i think he is going to have a great year with the Cards. I am glad though we got Pool and he will fit in better. GO JETS!!!!!

14. By uncle joe on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

OK, maybe you can say that Wilson is one of the best safeties in the league but, saying that teamed with Rhodes they are the best pair in the league is outrageous!

15. By iro71 on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

TO Jets Fan Since ’64 Tom: U OBVIOUSLY DON’T APPRECIATE MR. REVIS, HE DOES HAVE HIS HEAD SCREWED ON RIGHT. IN CASE IF YOU HAVEN’T NOTICED, REVIS IS VERY WELL MANNERED. HE’S NOT A DIVA LIKE OTHER RECIEVERS. HE’S JUST BASKING IN THE RECOGNITION HE’S FINALLY GETTING AND DOING IT WITH CLASS. I GUESS YOU HAVEN’T GOTTEN THE MEMO. WERE NOT IN 1964 AND THESE ARE NOT THE SAME OLD JETS SO JUST ACCEPT IT. IT’S 2010

16. By Big O on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

Jets fan since ’64 Tom, I read your negativity everyday, you swear you have all of the answers and you tongue kiss management all of the time, you never criticize the front office, you are a real pain in the gluteous maximus!!! Just root for the team and let it be, Revis is good and the Jets will give him what they feel he deserves.

17. By Frankie on Jul 1, 2010 | Reply

Revis proved to us what kind of player he is and now its up to the Jets to reward him. We will never let go of Revis he will be a Jet for most of if not all of his career. Revis is to the Jets as Lewis is to the Ravens. He is the core of our defense, without him I don’t think we will have the #1 defense. So to everyone that is saying he is acting like a baby or what have you, just picture next season without him… he is irreplacable end of story. J-E-T-S forever!!! SEE YA IN TEXAS!!!

18. By Jake on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Revis’ INT against Oakland was one of the best interceptions I have ever seen. I honestly watch Darrelle Revis highlights on Youtube when I need to feel better. I remember when we moved up to the 14th pick get him in ’07, he’s my favorite Jet. He needs to stay here, Rex can’t do half of the stuff he wants to if we don’t have Revis locking down that side. He needs to ask for less money, I agree, 12 or 13 million on a 5 year deal I think is managable

19. By HDR on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Haters Haters Haters.. How can anyone suggest that Revis is acting like a baby, or doing something wrong? If anyone is doing something wrong, it’s the Jets’ front office. Don’t tell me that because of the un-capped year ahead that they can’t go ahead and take care of Revis and Mangold, who by the way, I don’t hear anyone blasting for wanting a new contract. Revis is the best corner in the league, hands down and he deserves a new contract.. Show him the MONEY!!

20. By uncle joe on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

HDR, I for one don’t blast Mangold for wanting more money because Mangold is one of the best centers in football and he is in the LAST year of a low first round draft pick contract with no guarantees. If Mangold were to suffer a career ending injury he’s in trouble, Revis would still have like 20 mill coming to him.Revis deserves to be the top paid CB but he needs to exclude the Raiders stupidity, This is everyones argument,I’d rather live without Revis than be as bad as the Raiders!

21. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey all you bloggers on the side of Revis on blackmailing his teammates management and fans like you guys loyal to him.. I truly wish the shoe was on the other foot then lets talk .. That said here’s the fact plain and simple no matter how great you think he is Payton manning took him to the woodshed he was a non factor in the most important game in the last 40 some odd years so please give us all with some common sence left a break .. REVIS honor your contract Shut your mouth or be gone

22. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Thanks to those who agree on Revis, here’s for those that don’t: Any guy who makes up an injury to sit out in practice, then admits he’s lying right as he’s sitting there on the sideline is WACK, okay? I feel for him and he oughta talk to that team psychologist we got, but this is COMPLETELY unacceptable. As for his desire to be paid more than Asomugha as some kind of statement, that’s the most blatant selfishness and team-destructive egotism and to watch you guys dance around it is pathetic.

23. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

CONT. Its So obvious HDR and gk gilp whatever his name ,are one in the same maybe Revis himself incognito relative friend agent to that effect ..no one can be as supportive to this injustice by a player when his motive is strictly greed ..Calling fans haters for trying to protect the very fabric Mike -T Rex Woody ETC. are building to finally bring a ring to NY and yet their guy alone is trying his best in breaking a contract dismissing team mates due & derail all we build not buying it

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

HDR, no one’s “blasting” Mangold because he’s showing much more class about a new contract. As for you, Big O: What’s negative is allowing divisiveness on a team this close to winning it all. Go talk to Gary C., I think it was him or Spicer who referred to DR as “cancer” and said he should be cut out. uncle joe also showed guts and wisdom on DR. As for me, I’m against the Jets in New Jersey, a cold-weather SB, 16 games, and a lot of Rex’s talking instead of acting. So (see my next post)…

25. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

So, Big O, get your story straight on me and management, and by extension all authority. Joe set the Jets mold when he told journalists after the SB that they could “go eat their pencils and pads.” But that doesn’t mean players are always right about everything, especially the kind of bizarre disruption of this team that DR pulled. There’s simply no justification for his breaking the bank that way, what can Jets who’ve accomplished much more than him, like LT and SH, be thinking about him now?

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Also, Big O and of course Row, ranger 46, and a few others, I suggest you watch that new clip of MS. Now HERE is a class guy and a leader, not to mention a guy with a brain. I don’t think MS has EVER as a Jet said anything complimentary, much less arrogant, about himself. He CONSTANTLY takes the blame for any problem and seems incapable of even acknowledging his basic skills. (“…and I’m not even good yet.”) I’ll bet you right now he never puts himself before the team by asking for too much $.

27. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Ira, back to football and not contract-driven insanity, I’d like to see how PF Focus came up with that rating, these things are always subject to questions. For example, how does Woodson win an award, much less one that Revis should’ve won, on a team whose D utterly collapsed time after time, including in the playoffs? Also, we seem to have a slightly different view on ex-Jets. I’d wish KC luck if he left and even root for him, he deserves it ’cause he’s all class. TJ, Leon, KR, ah, not so much.

28. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

And Frankie, nobody’s irreplaceable, that’s the kind of thinking that ruins teams. You can have the guys who say they’re irreplaceable (mostly losers), I’ll take the teams that keep making it to the SB and winning it. And another thing, Big O: It’s boring to write on the site all the time in the same tone. I try to be funny, entertaining, and informative sometimes just to break up the monotony of waiting for the season to start. And I don’t think I have all the answers — I said don’t pick MS.

29. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Sorry, guys and gals, I meant I’m against the 18-game season, I can’t even think straight when it comes to that jive. And no one on this site has more to say against Goodell and his asinine ideas than me, Big O. I guess you also haven’t read my several years’ worth of criticisms on Jets’ management’s unwise handling of EA and BS at QB. Though I have to admit, offering Leon and now DR the moon might be their most unwise moves. I’d like to see how my main man Bill White woulda handled these guys.

30. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

A little more directly to you, HDR, many people feel that even asking to renegotiate a contract is wrong. As Gary C. and/or Spicer said, you never see a player offer to GIVE BACK money from a huge contract when he’s had a BAD year, do ya? No, usually the guy just starts acting out, like Ramirez on the Red Sox, until the team is so sick of him that they send him somewhere else where he can ask for too much money, as Ramirez has done. Get real, okay?

31. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Looks like Randy, Eric, and company have split for the day, so I’m giving them some work to do when they get back. Here’s an overarching thought on DR and these curious attempts to pretend that he’s acting anything like a professional, much less a team player, much less a “leader” (yeah, lead us into chaos), much less “Derek Jeter” (!). The quote is courtesy of a great American whose full story is never told, Davy Crockett, who said, “This thing of man worship is foreign to me.” (continued)

32. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Davy Crockett, continued, on “man-worship”: “It’s like a skunk that’s gotten into a garret. Long after he’s cleared out, traces of him remain.” Well said, Davy, and that’s not how I’ve ever rooted for the Jets. When the owners and the front office didn’t get it done, at a certain point I said we should move on, and it’s the same with players. I suspect DR is shocked — maybe that team shrink can tell us why — at the largely negative reaction to his demands and will eventually sign for less.

33. By Franky B. on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Gents and fellow JETS fans. Revis is hands down the best defensive player in the league. It was a traveshamockery that he lost the award last year to Woodson. Uncle Joe…I was at that game at Oakland Colliseum last year Wk 7 with great seats where he had that phenomenal INT. Most speactacular play I’ve ever seen. My girl and I were all decked out in JETS green and I’m lucky to still be alive. Raider fans are by far worse then Philly and to boot they were worse with a 38-0 beating!!!

34. By 37 year fan on Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

Call me crazy but ,… as far as safetys’ go , Jim Leonard played with real heart , and smarts . He really impressed me last year . I think we’re really lucky to have him. He is a Character guy . Someone you want on the front lines when you go to war.

35. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 3, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for printing my posts, Eric, me nor anyone else should be subject to insults for resisting this truly Orwellian attempt by some to reclassify DR’s selfishness, immaturity, and unconsciousness as “class” (!) Nice post, MJV, sorry I forgot to praise your view on DR, and thanks for reminding folks that one problem like this can destroy years of work. Had a funny thought: Watch DR get a ton of $, then have an awful year, then get called a bum by the press and these same now-worshipful fans!

36. By Alan on Jul 4, 2010 | Reply

Well, according to Football Outsider’s statistics, Revis season last season was unlike anything ever seen before, It was better then Deion’s season with the Niners. They compared to to Jerry Rices record breaking season, and Dan the Man Marino’s 1984 season. Since their really is no eye catching stats for a CB to put up though, it goes extremely unoticed, so In shorter words, Revis is the best Defender in the NFL, and he should be paid his due, and im talkin Marino, Jerry Rice money,

37. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 4, 2010 | Reply

Alan, no doubt DR should be paid big $. He already is compared to what probably 99% of the folks posting here earn. The larger questions are who talked him into taking such an absurd stand not only when the team is poised for a few of its best yrs ever but when the team may have more quality players, young and old, to pay than ever in its history. And if DR’s play “goes extremely unnoticed,” what about NM’s? On every level aside from rank self-interest, DR fails this early-career test miserably.

38. By JOHNNY A on Jul 5, 2010 | Reply

All I can add to this is we simply cannot afford to lose this kid. He is a rare combination at the corner position. If that draft is done over again, he has to be the top choice. His position is so crucial to the success of any defense, especially one driven by pressure packages and blitzes. I love the kid and his class act, but he went about this the wrong way a few times. His antics do not call 4 him 2 be dealt, but He and Mangold need to think football now. This team is ready 2 win!

39. By Big O on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Jets Fan since 64 Tom, I should have known you were going to open that big mouth of yours, you should have tried out to become an ESPN news anchor with all of that mumbo jumbo! Listen playing this game is not a game, it is business, the JETS management see this as business, they are very conservative with their thinking. Darelle plays the game but he is about business, if he was to just keep his mouth quiet he would not make any money, the JETS as usual will chew him up and spit him out. What?

40. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

I work at the computer all day, Big O, and the Jets are my favorite mumbo jumbo. But DR, who selfishly wants so much $ when we have guys just as good at their position if not better, sure ain’t my favorite businessman. By his standard, SH should get about $30 mil a yr. As for your own business head, why is it all or nothing? Why can’t poor, exploited DR survive on, say, 5 yrs at $12 mil each? I don’t know exactly how affordable that is for the Jets, none of us do, but it’s 2X what Samuel gets.

41. By Big O on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Jets Fan since 64 Tom….. I agree with you 60 million over a spread of five years is what Darelle is worth to me, I haven’t seen where Darelle wanted more! A matter of fact he stated that 40 million was too much for him. As far as other people on the team just as good as he is…… thats taking it to far overboard, Darelle’s coverage is what propelled the JETS into the playoffs, why? Because other teams could not get the ball down to their man (which is all of your TOP wideouts)Revis is Kobe

42. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 8, 2010 | Reply

Well, Big O, I thought the whole thing started when it was reported that Asomugha’s getting $45.8 mil for 3 yrs and DR said he wanted more than that, then pretty soon numbers like $16 and $17 mil a yr were being thrown around. If the Jets can pay DF $60 mil for 6 yrs, I can certainly see DR getting something like that or a bit more. But sure, I think you can make a case that DF, NM, and SH are as good at their position as DR. And I have a lot of respect for SB winners, much less SB MVPs like SH.

43. By Big O on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

Jets Fan since 64 Tom…..honestly I respect your opinions, it’s just that I have been a little salty with management and there conservative style. I think the way they did TJ, AF and especially LW was wrong! Leon put it on the line for us all of the time, he gets a leg broke for the team and we KICK HIM OUT??? I cant go for that! If I were a player I would be about business to if you want me to play, pay up! Leon was perfect for our team and he is still young!

44. By Stick on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

To ‘Jet fan since ’64’. Okay you got me, I’m J-fan since Willie Joe. Been through many years of disaster. Us real fans are glad you ain’t the GM regarding Reev . Being cheap gets you no where but out of playoffs. Owners fat wallets would be fatter, but you’d have us as the ‘same-ol-Jets’ quick.
    Reev is the best in f-ball. Pay him – keep him. Did you ever hear of that one team that spends and wins-wins-wins? They are called the Yankees and prove that cheap gets you no where.

45. By Cali Joe on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

OK Pay DR but in the last year of a contract no one held a gun to his head and made him sign as an unproven corner. He also has about 20 mil due to him. We need to sign Mangold and Harris who are in the last year of their deal. Tanny , Let DR know after these two are signed and if DR’s numbers are the same as last year do an extension with 2 years still left on his current contract. Too bad his agent is so greedy.

46. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

I respect your opinions, too, Big O, and your passion for the team. But I think the $10 mil for 2 yrs we offered Leon was a great deal and he should’ve taken it. $1.75 mil for 1 yr of seeing if he could play again was a very good deal, too, so I don’t know what he was thinking. Then when we had a chance to get McK, who’s younger and not injured, we did, most teams would. Stick (and Big O), some guy on the DF story says NFL Network says DR’s stuck on $16 mil p/yr, I still say that’s too much.

47. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

I think it was different with TJ, Big O, he wanted to start and we didn’t want him to. But it’s similar to DR in that he got a lot of his $ early on and when they both got to the lower-paid year, they wanted new deals even though DR has, what, $20 mil more guaranteed? I want players who are more focused on winning the SB than on bigger numbers than that. Who ya sayin’s not a real fan, Stick? I’ve been watching the Jets since Dick Wood and Mike Taliaferro! (I admit, I never saw a Titans game.)

48. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

Bulletin for ya, Stick: According to the NFL site, DR apparently thinks $100 mil for 6 yrs is “cheap.” If I wanted to be as abusive to you as you just were to me in your post, I’d ask you what YOU drive while DR’s off buying five Lamborghinis — oh, sorry, right, he needs the $ “to feed his family.” Get real, dude, this stuff is insane as are the Yankees whom everybody hates, even fans since ’62 like myself sometimes. Big O said DR said $40 mil’s too much, I hope that’s closer to the real story.

49. By tkgilb on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

Here you go again Jets Fan Since ’64, making statements that simply are not true. First of all DR didn’t approach the Jets about a new contract. The Jets approached DR after the Colts game.(That’s is a fact) And furthermore, when players aren’t playing to the potential the teams think they should, the DO give back money. And furthermore DR didn’t think a contract for $100 mil for 6 years was cheap. There was no guaranteed money in that contract. Are you crazy, you wouldn’t even accept that! And lastly, DR doesn’t own a lamborghini, he doesn’t even own a mercedes benz, he has a Chrysler Cooper. So what in the what are you talking about, AGAIN…….Get your facts straight man and get over it already, just get over it…

50. By doug mott on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

its sad that when we r so close a player that is so impt to us does this to us the fans

51. By doug mott on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

FIRE UR AGENT AND COME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!