Weatherford Taking Care of Family Business

Posted by Randy Lange on July 19, 2010 – 9:52 am

Mark Sanchez and his receivers weren’t the only ones that headed to the West Coast last week to get ready for the training camp and season ahead.

Steve Weatherford headed a little farther south than Mission Viejo, though. He was in San Diego, working out with his new placekicker and special teams companion, Nick Folk, and his guru, John Carney.

“I played with John in New Orleans my rookie year,” the Jets punter said of the ageless Carney, who kicked in the first half of the year for the Super Saints last season, his 22nd in the NFL. “He’s more of a mentor than a best friend, but he’s a great training partner, a good adviser, a great dad. And he’s always got good advice for me whenever I feel like I’m not sure what to do in my life. He’s someone I can turn to for solid advice.”

Carney’s advice last September might’ve been something like “Go east, young man.” Weatherford was the seventh and last different punter to try out for Rex Ryan and Mike Westhoff before the start of the ’09 season, won the job, and had a solid and certainly eventful season.

The numbers were not eye-popping. His 42.0-yard gross average was 26th and his 36.7 net 24th out of 33 qualifying NFL punters. But Weatherford and his coverage team did excel in a little-followed but significant punting stat. Only 27 of his 80 punts were returned, a 33.8 percent rate that led the league.

“I think going into my last punt of the season I was 14th or 15th,” he said, referring to that 40-yard return by Quan Cosby in the regular-season finale against the Bengals. “Prior to that punt, I think we were No. 1 in the league in yards given up on returns and No. 1 in fair catches. That speaks volumes of the coverage team, and you can’t say enough about the guys who are going down to cover your kicks. But at the same time you have to put the ball far enough out there to give you a good net.”

Weatherford’s net at Cincinnati in the AFC Wild Card Game was zero punts, due the sudden return of a condition that gave him a racing heart and dizziness. But he told me before his training trip to California that he feels that won’t ever be a problem again.

“I feel healthier than I did this time last year,” he said. “I had no idea that my heart was having issues. That’s been fixed and it’s kind of like fixing an ACL. They fixed it and I shouldn’t have any issues with it. I feel great, my workouts are going awesome, so I don’t think that should be an issue at all.”

He returned for the final two playoff games. At San Diego he nailed a 51-yard net punt downed at the Chargers 4 that set up the Jets’ short go-ahead TD drive. And in the Lucas Oil Dome, he averaged 51.0 gross and 45.0 net with only one 4-yard return on four punts against the Colts.

Having ended on a high note and now feeling ahead of where he wanted to be at this point on the football calendar, he was ready to work hard in Camp Carney as well as to spend some quality time with his own family, wife Laura, son Ace, and daughter, whose name is not coincidentally Carney.

“They’ll be joining me out in San Diego, going to Sea World and the San Diego Zoo, the beaches, stuff like that. I’m really looking forward to doing that,” he said. “I’ll be there a week and a half before I go to training camp. It’ll be a lot of good quality time with my family as well as getting some good work in before the start of camp.”

Weatherford was not in attendance at the start of last year’s camp in Cortland, N.Y., signing on Sept. 7. T.J. Conley was in camp. Now Conley is back and the two will battle for this year’s punting job.

“T.J.’s a great guy. He’s progressing. He’s very young and very raw, but he’s got all the tools you would need and he just needs to keep working and he’s working hard,” Weatherford analyzed. “He just needs to continue to do what he’s doing and there’s no doubt if he continues that he’ll be punting this year, whether it’s for the Jets or somebody else.

“It took John three years to get in the league. Twenty years later, look at him. He’s still kicking. You never can write anybody off. It just takes some guys longer than others to get in. Once you get your foot in the door, you can stay forever.”

And that description, while it was about Conley, could also describe Weatherford, who’s looking to extend the lease on his and his family’s eastern home to a second year.

“I don’t want to sound overzealous, like I’m overlooking it, but I’m more concerned with myself than with the day-to-day competition,” he said. “Obviously I want to make this team and feed my kids this year. But I’m not as concerned about how he’s punting as I am about how I’m punting, because I feel very confident that if I’m punting as well as I can, I’m going to be here.”

Pace Pulls Out of “Car Wash”

We like to keep you up on media appearances by the Jets players, and one of the events that some have participated in recently is ESPN’s “car wash,” that all-day, multitasking, multi-platform visit to the network’s Bristol, Conn., campus. Nick Mangold accepted the invitation last year, and Calvin Pace was set to go on Tuesday.

But we’ve gotten late word that Pace has withdrawn from tomorrow’s activities, so there will be no radio/TV/online/podcast exposure tomorrow for the Jets’ top sacker of the past two seasons. Perhaps this morning’s short but heavy rains around the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center, convinced CP to put off his car wash to another day.

Tags: , , ,

58 Responses to “Weatherford Taking Care of Family Business”

1. By uncle joe on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

How do you put black letters on a dark grey background?

2. By IRA on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Randy, Most important is that Weatherford’s health is good. And he did come through in the playoffs when the money was on the line. And you can’t argue about the amount of kicks returned stat. I just hope he continues to improve and sticks with the Jets. I am tired of having a different punter 18 and counting since Hentrich was cut back in 93 by Coslet.

3. By IRA on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

uncle joe, A lot of the sites like the Packers and yes Wagner College of Staten Island has the same background. One thing is that when randy starts his steller stat charts it just won’t look the same and it really is a more difficult read with this new site.

4. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

I don’t like the punter-go-round, either, Ira, but I think Weatherford has to hit, er, kick it out of the park this year against Conley to really inspire confidence. And while you can’t exactly argue with the kicks returned stat, that also makes a big statement about the punt coverage team. But in the end, 36.7 net isn’t quite good enough. Too bad about the car wash but after all, Fleetwood Mac’s “Thoughts On a Gray Day” should probably be our new team song. Or maybe Joni Mitchell’s “Little Green”…

5. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Randy, seriously: In all your years of covering the Jets, have you ever seen ANYTHING uglier than the gradient dark green-to-black Jets football decal in the upper left-hand corner of this page? Looks like something you’d see in a hospital lab. And that mostly black-on-black color scheme at the top of the page is, well, dark and depressing. Even the much-loathed Raiders have silver to offset the black, we don’t even seem to have much white in our colors anymore. Which is even weirder since all teams play in white, not gray, sometimes.

6. By scjoe on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Weatherford is just not the answer. I think we witnessed that last season. I can’t believe with all the moves made this off season, and most of them I like, that we did not address the punting situation any more then we did. As for Folk? All we can do is hope, because there is not much competition on that front either. It would be a nightmare to see the season come down to ST play, well, the kicking game anyway.

7. By scjoe on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Randy, is it possible to have the backround changed to white and increase the font size? Just a thought.

8. By suspek on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

ATTENTION: Believe it or Not, Jet Nation, I am pleading management to make the signing of ?, the “stone that tips the scale”! ? TO! NOW! Sign him now! Distraction, you quip? No prob; Rex’ll handle it. Out of shape? Never. Can he still catch? Better than 80% out there. Imagine this: Sanchez, now in year two, will see new, more aggressive schemes & the short passing game is crucial. With TO, the field opens up immensely and he gets his 100+ touches, which is what all receivers truly desire. It’s a win-win situation.

9. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

suspek, TO’s done, he can’t compare to SH, BE, or J-Co at this point, we got Clowney and AA waiting to show what they can do, and we have definitely got enough on our hands already in terms of new players who have to be worked into the Jet ethic. I don’t know if you’re one of those who’s worried about “chemistry” after losing TJ, Leon, Faneca, and Feely, but I find it odd that some folks are so worried about that on one hand, yet they want us to pick up every malcontent in the NFL on the other.

10. By poobah on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

where did faneca sign?

11. By IRA on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

I am surprised it took this long for a we want TO post. I have heard it for the past ten years. And i will say what i have said all along. NO THANKS. The Raiders signed J. Ford their 4th rd pick out of Clemson. I really liked this kid and think he is going to be a very good slot WR in the NFL. Plus he had burners and can really fly. The raiders are one of my surprise teams this year. IF Campbell can play solid and not turn the ball over i think the Raiders could be a 7- win team.

12. By Doug on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Randy
    more green, less gray would look Jetier- thanks

13. By IRA on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Couldn’t agree with Woody more about his comments in the NY Daily News today that these pending contract issues don’t faze him. I have felt all along in time they will all get taken care of. It might get ugly first but in the end it will get done.
    GO JETS!!!!!

14. By KevinFan4Life on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Ira, the more and more I see your posts, your a closet-hidden Raider fan. Every once in a while you go off on these Raider fantasy trips…LOL. Only kidding with you. I know you bleed green like I do and was always admired how the Raiders were run in the 60’s and 70’s and even the 80’s. A true committment to winning. But Al Davis is nothing but a shell of himself. It is our turn for now and the next decade to see the green and white dominate the AFC.

15. By GaryC on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

this new page represents what sports has become.colorless.Look at the uniforms of teams today,boring.the uniforms of the sixties and seventies were colorful.maybe these changes are reflecting society,no pizzazz, no personality

16. By KevinFan4Life on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

I commented on a previous post about the new website but it happened to disappear. It is about the “photo” section. The lay out is nice BUT that is all you are looking at. The photo does not open in another window at a larger size…say like the wallpapers do. I, like many other Jet fans would like to print these photos for my own personal keepsake and hang them in my Jet Room or for an album. Current photos are so small that you lose clarity when you try to ‘blow it up’ to a larger size. Go back to the way it was where you had larger and clearer pictures to view and save. Thanks.

17. By scjoe on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Ira, I will take it one step further re: the Raiders, should anything happen to Rivers in SD and he is lost for a long period, watch out!! I believe the Raiders have had as good an off season as anyone, on paper anyway, but let’s not forget, these are Da Raiders!

18. By Christopher on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

This new design needs work. The gray with black letters is hard to read. For those of us who check the site from our mobile phone, the design doesn’t work at all. Too much to load, are there plans for a WAP version of this site that is easier to load in a phone? It’s not all bad, I like the searching capabilities. PLEASE use a white background for text so I can read it without having to be 2 inches from the screen.

19. By IRA on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Kevin,
    HaHa you just made my day. I think i am still shell-shocked from the Heidi Game and Vance Joseph Game. For those too young to remember the Joseph game that was a Sunday Night Game @home and Kotite decided to have Joseph a college QB trying to learn how to play CB cover T. Brown. Thats all you need to know. Result was a 47-10 loss. Glad those days are way behind the young fans out there. GO JETS!!!!

20. By joe li/fla on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Hi everyone! just read the real reason why we’re having a problem signing revis. it’s now in “ny post”. it’s the cba. d’brick mada his choice. revis doesn’t want to.- hope he can wait to next year! lets get willson signed. ira, i remember the “heidi game”. i was a “gi” in idaho and went nuts trying to find the score after they took the game off the tv. ahh!!!

21. By KevinFan4Life on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Oh Lord…don’t bring up that name Ira…Kotite….slap myself for typing it…the worst two years in Jet history. Feel so sorry for the players then…like Boomer and Wayne and so on. Keep it way in the past. Have to agree more and more with my cohorts….RANDY..add some of our team color…green and white all the way….so drab looking…and do something about the pictures…PLEASE..!!!!

22. By IRA on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

joe, Thats funny. I was watching and then went it went off i ran to get my radio. But i missed the end because the batteries in my radio were dead. Man oh man was i you know what.
    Nice job by the Jets having the Ring Of Honor fot their former and future greats. A nice touch to their new home.
    So as expected Brunell will sign Thursday according to reports.
    GO JETS!!!!!

23. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the tip, joe li/fal, on the Post article. This “skill vs. injury” thing, which none of us including the folks who run this site have mentioned, casts a whole different light on things. If DR really feels he and the Jets are that far apart, I say let him play the year on his existing contract and see how he — and we — feel in ’11. I can’t see us not having another good year that moves us forward and if DR actually decides he’d rather get more money on SEA, STL, or DET and we can’t afford what he’s asking, trade him. It takes more than one guy, I don’t care who he is — or who he thinks he is.

24. By Gregg from CA on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

I’m disappointed in the Poll on the home page in two ways:

First, how is it that only 800 people have responded when there are 70,000+ people at every game? I thought we had better fan involvement on this site than that!

Secondly, I’d rather see a Survey than a Poll, where specific issues can be tallied to present to the decision makers about what’s good and what stinks.

If someone just loads the home page and looks at pictures and videos, they may think the site is GREAT, and say so… but how do specific aspects of the new site compare to the OLD site? I think we’ve seen a fairly broad spectrum of complaints on these posts, where perhaps the hardcore users are more likely to frequent than the one-click visitors. Can we get an area-specific Poll on each page to allow for quantitative feedback? Is there any in-depth Survey process available in this new software?

On another topic, are there any plans to create user accounts that we can log in with, so that our contributions can be individualized, tracked, etc.?

25. By Gregg from CA on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Don’t know if anybody’s noticed, but the Clippings page (Second bar in the vertical menu on the top-left of the page) is badly organized. There are news posts showing up under Randy’s Radar, the DT signing that’s showing there is not visible anywhere else on the site (that I’ve found), and some of the newspaper articles are repeated under multiple papers. More support tickets for Pest Control !

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey Randy, looking around at the NFL websites, I see that most of them look very similar these days. I first noticed this Soviet-style uniformity on the wool caps that the players wear on the sidelines these days, all with that same gradient design but with the team’s individual colors apparently tolerated. If this is what’s going on with the new Jets website, I can certainly let the staff and their superiors off the hook. It wouldn’t surprise me a bit given Goodell’s mania to remake the league to suit his misguided agenda. But if we can’t even get more of our team colors on our own site, I might start watching a little more college ball, where individuality still reigns supreme.

27. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

To be completely accurate, Randy, I actually first noticed this creeping conformity at the start of the opening year of the AFL-NFL merger when the wonderfully, regionally idiosyncratic Jets program at Shea became just another edition of some generic snoozefest called “Gameday.” So like Mark Twain said, history doesn’t repeat itself but it rhymes. If this NFL one-size-fits-all approach is going to extend to colors on team websites, though, I’ll make sure that not one penny of my money ever goes directly to the league itself. I’ll be perfectly content to just watch the New York Battleships, er, Jets games.

28. By IRA on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Some Douglas talk floating around and hopefully as expected i think they will re-sign him. He was a vital part in their run last year. And even though DeVito stepped up and VG and Pitoitua will contribute they can never have enough depth for the d-line especially with KJ coming of of a ACL injury.

29. By IRA on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Everybody lets all chill out including myself about howthis site looks now. Sure i am not happy with it either. But the most important part is reading the stories and info that Randy and EA put out on this site. I have learned a lot from both and enjoy reading their stuff very much. So if the site color is not good and i might have to get stronger glasses so i can read the smaller print. What really matters is that Randy and staff continue to feed us good info on this site. GO RADAR!!!!!!

30. By Anthony on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

I like this guy as the punter. He had two fake punts last year that were pretty good fakes. I think that he should definitely be held onto. This guy just from being kind of quick is an asset and his punting is pretty good.

31. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t realize Jenk was such a no-bull guy. Read his remarks on the NFL site today, in which he says “we” (the fans) will either get a Super Bowl win this year or the chance “to run us [the team] out of town” if the Jets don’t win it. But what’s really interesting is his quote that “we have some real men to step in for the women that we lost.” That’s women, not woman, so he’s referring to more than just Rhodes. Makes me wonder what he thinks of Revis and his contract silliness. Ira, back to football and not the site is good but “what really matters” is a society that boasts more alleged progress but offers less individualism. (See the Kinks’ MUSWELL HILLBILLIES album, which brilliantly commented on that almost forty years ago.)

32. By ddh on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

I don’t understand why they felt it necessary to reinvent the wheel (website) I for one prefer the former site, I wont bother to list my objections since they’ve been addressed better than I could have. But when I first saw this new format it felt like I was reading some old black and white news print, void of any team spirit, like reading through some government document, PLEASE GIVE OUR SITE BACK ITS LIFE !!!!

33. By joe li/fla on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

jets fan since ’64 tom relax, like ira said we’re all frustrated with our new site. it could be worse-purble words on a grey back ground-neil young w/crazy horse. i’d like to change the name from ny battleships to ny aircraftcarriers we have to launch our attack on the nfl very soon. we might not have”next year”

34. By coat on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

we have the best defense in the NFL a hopefully much improved offense and arguably the best special teams coach in nfl history the punter should not be a pressing issue if he can kick the ball 40 yards

35. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 22, 2010 | Reply

“Purple words on a gray background/To be a Jet fan and to be let down” — yeah, I was going to make a joke about that too, joe li/fla, but I thought it would be a little too out there. Anyway, sure the game is what counts, not the site, but it’s just hard to believe that the NFL is apparently this clueless and conformist iin terms of design and color. Nice to hear DR say today he wants to be a Jet for life, now we just have to make it happen without causing resentment among other key players. If I was the front office, I’d already be saving to pay SH what he’s going to deserve next year.

36. By IRA on Jul 22, 2010 | Reply

Weatherford is going to be fine. He just has to be more consistent. Things i am looking to watch at camp the kicking game with Folk and Purdum, who will be holding after they sign Brunell today and if they keep Kellen around for camp [i hope they do] the chemistry on the o-line with the battle at LG, J. Taylor, and McKnight and Clowney/Allison. Everything else should really be basic. Just hope they stay as healthy as possible for the start of the season.
    GO JETS!!!!

37. By Christopher on Jul 22, 2010 | Reply

Randy, Can you even post replies to our comments anymore?

38. By Randy Lange on Jul 22, 2010 | Reply

Yes, Christopher, I can.

39. By Russell on Jul 22, 2010 | Reply

Can someone explain to me why we need Mark Brunell as a backup quarterback? Why don’t we just let Clemens remain the backup and place holder for the kicking game. To Kris Jenkins, get yourself in shape, get on the field and don’t worry or talk about Kerry Rhodes. I don’t understand why the Jets haven’t or won’t resign DE Douglas. I thought he played well last year for the Jets. I would still like the Jets to bring in another placekicker to compete with Folk. Let’s get training camp started.

40. By coat on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Randy I think the website is allright and we’ll all get used to it but the simplicity of the old format was nice —-I( don’t mind the colors and change is good but I worry that it was done to allow more room for advertising — people shouldn’t be hard sold while trying to follow a passion especially in these hard economic times most everyone on this site is a diehard jets fan and their gonna buy their Jets garb whether or not it’s on this site—but anyway keep up the good work we all enjoy this Thank you

41. By IRA on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Russell,
    I loved how Douglas played last year and still think he can do the same. He made some very big time plays in important spots last year. At this point though if either Kroul or Pitoitua or both can show they can do the same the two of them would cost less than just Douglas. And don’t forget about Wright who had a promising career with the Fish until he got hurt. Somehow i still think there is a chance Douglas could be on the team. We won’t know until late in camp. I see Dumervil got a 6yr extension with about 42 or so mill in guaranteed. If the Revis talks are at a stand still would try and at least get mangold or Harris done in the meantime. I am on the fence with Kellen. Brunell gives Sanchez that mentor on the sideline. Thats not a knock on Kellen but you can’t argue about 20 yrs experience plus a Super Bowl ring and playoff experience. Some times another players eyes can see things that you can’t. As for KJ relax he will be ready to go. And its time they get Randy’s comments back in a bold print or different color with his picture. GO JETS!!!!!

42. By Randy Lange on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Ira, I agree, although it may take some time to get that ugly mug back.

43. By IRA on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Nick, Nice story about Benfatti. Its a shame his once promising career was cut short just like Byrd’s. Thank God both seem to be ok.

44. By IRA on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Now that Bryant has signed he has set the bar for the lower 1st rd picks to start signing. I would expect Wilson to sign in the next few days.
    Randy, Nice to see that your type is a darker color and stands out.We all miss that ugly [sorry] mug. Its a start in the right direction.

45. By IRA on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Sorry that Douglas signed with the Fish. I think they wanted to get younger at that spot and was a money issue for sure otherwise he would’ve been back. Don’t count out VG this year. I really believed they shouldve bulked him up 3 yrs ago and stick him at DE. I think he will have a productive year this season.

46. By Frank on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Disappointed they didn’t re-sign Douglas he played well last year and with Jenk’s health issues and Ellis age and potential health issues the DL could be a problem if the young guys don’t step up their game this year. Again with this being an all or none year you have to wonder what they are thinking. The Phins will be a much better team this year I like what they did in the draft and FA signings this year. I am more worried about them than the Pats.

47. By Ray on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Randy
    Took a break from the grind in here and when I come back I don’t even recognize the place! Like all new sites it will take some getting used to…. seems pretty generic. Hey, who’s gonna trek to Cortland next week? I know Ira will be there, anyone else gonna show? Last year was great, but this year I am betting on it being a madhouse because of HBO being there. I’m just guessing Randy but I am betting that is why the first practice is closed this year…. Hey Randy how about you and EA having a little meet and greet with the Radar fans at Central City?

48. By Ray on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t care for Cimini’s column saying the Jets would make Brad Smith the #3 QB after signing Brunell and then cut the other three… What kind of logic is that? I would dump Clemens and O’Connell but what would you let Ainge go for? Brunell is a one year deal, so why not keep Ainge who would clearly be the best insurance policy should something bad happen.

49. By IRA on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Frank, The NFL Network showed the Jets/Chargers Game yesterday and Douglas played very well in that game like he did all year. It was all about the money. They get 2 players for the price of one and get younger. Do i agree with it? Hard to argue that. I really like how DeVito has developed as a player and i think he will fill Douglas’ shoes with no problem. Its real simple Dearth, Wright and Douglas all vital parts of last years success were let go strictly for saving money. They all would have got the veteran minumum. So they saved there. Add in Feely and you just have to hope it doesn’t come back to bite them at some point.

50. By IRA on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Ray, The QB b/u spts are going to be an interesting story. I would hold on to Kellen until we see how Brunell plays out over the summer. Its going to be hard to find a spot for everybody on this 53 man roster. Keeping 2 FB’s takes up an extra spot.I like Ainge but i wouldn’t be surprised if they only keep 2QB’s plus Smith. And i agree last year was great in Cortland but this HBO extravaganza is going to bring a lot of fans up there and it will be like it was when favre was with the Jets at Hofstra. My prediction the avg crowd will be 4-5,000 per practice. And the 8/7 scrimmage will have 15,000 or so. Last year about 6-8,000 showed up. So double is a lock. Just hope they hold it in the stadium this time.
    GO JETS!!!!

51. By Frank on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Ira I love Devito but he is more of an inside guy and Douglas was the prototypical DE in a 3-4 that is what he excelled in and he understood the position well. I get the feeling when Jenks is rotated out we will see more 4 man fronts with VG playing the other end spot. Let’s hope VG finally shows something. As you know I agree with your opinion on the others there is such a fine line winning in this league the role players you mentioned all contributed to the team winning last year and are major voids to fill. Feely to me was the biggest mistake this is real simple he made his field goals in the playoffs and the Bengals and Chargers kickers did not and that was why we won. You can’t replace a kicker who is clutch in the playoffs. Living in Texas I watched all the Cowboy’s games Folk is a disaster in pressure situations and this is going to hurt the team this year.

52. By GaryC on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

do we really need the players twitter comments front and center,who cares.Again the pampered athlete strikes again.it would be nice if this new website can do a whatever happened too about jet players who have disappeared and where they are now.It would be more enlightning than looking at these twitters.

53. By IRA on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Frank, Yeah i wish Folk well and hope he can get back to his 07 form. But i doubt he is the opening day kicker. I have been saying all along keep a close eye on the Rackers/Brown competiton in Houston. Chances are Rackers will be their kicker. Brown cost them two potential games vs the Colts and the Titans. He missed game tying FG’s in both games which the Texans lost 20-17 in both games. If they had won one of those the Jets don’t even make the playoffs last year.
    Yeah i am on the VG bandwagon this year. He is finally back at his natural position [he never should've been moved in the first place]and i believe he will have a productive year this year. Frank lets hope we meet up in Dallas this coming Feb. GO JETS!!!!!

54. By Frank on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Ira your lips to God’s ears!

55. By Row on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Get LenDale White in camp NOW! What’s wrong with bringing in T.O.?

56. By IRA on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

So not that bad. only 8 days after i was surprised nobody has talked about TO yet. Well it all started today. Warning! Stay away.

57. By IRA on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Row, Why not to bring in TO? This WR group right now is probably the best ever in franchise history. Sure Holmes will miss the first four games. Keller and LT and Clowney will all help and make up the difference. Also McKnight will probably be put in the slot or wide as a WR too. Listening to the radio and hearing fans say well J-Co is just a slot WR. Give me a break. The dude went for 821 yds last year in 14 games with a rookie QB. If he had played 16 games he would’ve been near 1,000 yds and if he had a veteran QB he would’ve got 1200 yds. Edwards looked great in mini-camp and his drops are overrated. He had only 5 i believe. Problem is they came in big spots so fans remember them. How about the sick catches he made in Miami his first game. Bottomline is they don’t need TO and the headaches he will bring to this team that has to be molded with new players already. No need to add another one. If the Jets feel they need to fill the void for Holmes go re-sgn LC.

58. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

For once I agree with Cimini, Row, read his piece today to see what’s wrong with bringing in TO, which is just about everything. Not that I’d put it past Cimini to whip up a rumor about this just so he can criticize the Jets. This site still looks incredibly boring to me, I look forward to seeing our actual team colors on the field.