• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 3:30 PM EST Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey, Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Defensive Coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 29, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

McKnight to Active NFI Tops Late Roster Moves

Posted by Eric Allen on July 29, 2010 – 9:00 pm

Three days before the Jets report for their 2010 Training Camp in Cortland, NY, the team made a number of player moves late today.

Running back Joe McKnight, a fourth-round pick from USC, was placed on the Active Non-Football Injury list after failing his conditioning test. McKnight, who battled cramping and dehydration at the Jets’ rookie minicamp, won’t be able to practice with the team until he passes the test but still is considered active and thus will be part of the club’s 80-man training camp roster.

The Jets will head to the practice field Monday without QB Erik Ainge. The third-year passer, originally a fifth-round selection from Tennessee in 2008, was placed on the Reserve Non-Football Illness list with an undisclosed illness. After signing veteran Mark Brunell on Wednesday, the on-field QB stable at the beginning of next week will include Mark Sanchez, Kellen Clemens, Kevin O’Connell and Brunell.

New York’s AFC representative also made a player swap on the defensive side of the ball, signing S Emanuel Cook and releasing LB Ezra Butler. Cook, a South Carolina product, signed with the Jets as an undrafted free agent, was released prior to the start of last season, then spent time on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ practice squad. After playing collegiately at Nevada, Butler signed as an undrafted free agent with the San Francisco 49ers in 2008 and also played with the UFL’s Las Vegas Locomotives in ’09.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 49 Comments »

49 Responses to “McKnight to Active NFI Tops Late Roster Moves”

1. By IRA on Jul 29, 2010 | Reply

Love the Butler move. I thought he was a big hitter coming out of college and could contribute on special teams.
    Very disappointed in McKnight. Like i said he needs a year in an offseason conditiong program before he will be truely ready for the NFL.
    Smart move puting Ainge on that list. At least they buy themselves some time before they make a move cutting one of the QB’s or they end up putting him on IR for the year so they don’t have to cut him.

2. By the real t.o. on Jul 29, 2010 | Reply

ARE U KIDDDING ME? WE ACTUALLY PICKED THIS GUY ?AND HES NOWHERE NEAR FOOTBALL SHAPE? WHAT WERE YOU GUYS THINKIN?

HE EVEN HAS A REPUTATION THAT PRECEDED HIM IN THE VEIN OF UNMOTIVATED AND NOT WORTH THE PICK I.E. JAMARCUS RUSSELL; VERNON GHOLSTON AKA BUST!!!!!

AT THE SAME TIME , THIS MAKES TOTAL SENSE.

AND I PRAY WE DONT LOSE AINGE…CUZ IM TELLIN YOU…IF ANYONE DESERVES TO BE THE TRUE BACKUP, NOT BRUNELL..NOT CLEMENS(WHY IS HE STILL ON THE TEAM?)…BUT AINGE WOULD DESERVE IT…HES GOT A CANNON

3. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Okay, McKnight’s had some conditioning problems and Ainge has been excused for various reasons before. But I gotta wonder if these moves aren’t also a way of giving more of a look to people on this crowded roster of ours, at least in the first few days and weeks. Maybe a way to give KC one last chance and O’Connell a real look before we decide which is let go, if not both? I like the return of Cook, a guy I’d heard good things about before we looked at him last year. GaryC, if we sign LC, I take back my prediction that Clowney will do as well as Lam Jones since it appears he’ll never get the chance to do so.

4. By IRA on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Sorry for the typo i meant Cook. I guess i failed my conditioning drill too.

5. By Pranit on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I am starting to get worried about this guy !!! (yellow flag)

6. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

As most people know I had picked the selection of McKnight at the draft saying either he or best would help jets with speed in backfield, but I believe his immaturity is showing and if he doesn’t start to wake up he will not be long for the jets.Rex likes veterans and rookies who are not in shape he won’t put up with.

7. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Well, according to Mr. T., Leon was completely inept at catching punts in his first year and overcame that well enough. One reason you need a bunch of RBs these days — as opposed to just worshipping one guy forever, like with some of the TJ diehards — is that the position is so much more complex now that guys develop differently over time. I doubt McKnight is truly that out of shape after the career he had at USC and I don’t know which would be worse, the Jets not scoping him out thoroughly before picking him or cutting him before giving him at least the same time Gholston’s had.

8. By IRA on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Maybe this will open the door for Washington. I still want to see if this kid has anything in camp this summer. Players like Woodhead would never fail a conditionng test. Wonder if Leon could pass that test right now? Hope he is doing well with the Hawks.

9. By Russell on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

As a Jets fan and a guy who loves the defensive side of football, I was disappointed to read that DE Douglas signed a 2 year deal with Miami. One thing that concerns me is the lack of depth at the NT position. I mean Jenkins had a knee injury and the Jets have Piouha, but what about developing a 3rd NT.
    Eric, have you heard if Gholston has added bulk to playing the DE position. How has he looked this offseason, so far. Do you think guys like Kroul and Steinkuhler will be able to contribute this season?

10. By Anthony on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I think woodhead is considered a WR right now not a RB which is a smart option (Similar to Welker in NE) But I think we could use him as a change of pace back he is really fast and he is tough. McKnight needs to be at the training center everyday for COnditioning this is starting to get ridiculous.

11. By MaxieP on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Oh IRA-

12. By Clarke W. Griswald on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

What a mutt, he obviously will get more time since, unlike gholston he’s not getting 50 million dollars or whatever it was. But still that’s just embarrassing. I wonder if after Gholston does nothing this year, the Jets can recoupe some of that money? Or is it just a buyer beware kind of thing?

13. By Peter on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

********(BLOCKING, BLOCKING, BLOCKING!!! RUNNING game for the Jets is about BLOCKING! The Jets have to get the Offensive Line, the TE’s, and the WIDE RECEIVERS to BLOCK, BLOCK, BLOCK. Put a hat on a hat and BLOCK! And then the JETS RUNNING game will be great!)*********

14. By Clarke W. Griswald on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

How many other rookies, out of this draft class, can’t pass a conditioning test I wonder? We got big Jenks bustin’ his hump out there to drop wieght, which i’m certain isn’t easy for a guy his size and age. And this 22 year old RUNNING back can’t pass a CONDTIONING test?

15. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Actually, Ira, there’s something that doesn’t smell right to me about the McKnight thing. When was the last time this happened to a major Jet draft pick? To a Jet at all? Could the guy really be that out of shape, or is something else going on? That this comes at the same time as the even more mysterious move with Ainge suggests to me that there’s more to this than meets the eye. “Players like Woodhead” might not ever fail a conditioning test, but a player like McKnight wouldn’t even have been picked if the Jets were so high on Woodhead, or Washington. (Both of whom I’d like to see more of, by the way.)

16. By IRA on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Just heard Foxworth tore his ACL and will be out for the year. I am offically taking the Ravens out of the mix for the AFC Title. Their secondary is a complete mess. Cincy now jumps back ahead as the front runner for the AFC North Title.
    This goes back to what i truely believe about training camps. These guys are in shape because of their offseaon work [except for a few] and you see less and less contact because GM’s and coaches are afraid of injuries. So besides getting players to all be on the same page and a few position battles the #1 concern is to finish camp as healthy as possible.

17. By Bob Kole on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Failed conditiioning.. how badly did he fail is what i want to know. What conditioning did he fail.

Randy any more details?

18. By Randy Lange on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Bob, I’ve got no more details. But we’ll let you know when Joe McKnight passes his conditioning test, and I’m sure Joe will be asked about it early on at camp.

19. By SJT on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Have we heard about Revis or mangold yet??

20. By Jim-Bob on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

How a professional athlete (a rookie no less) can show up to the start a season out of shape is inexcuseable. Makes you realize how rare Leon was, he was such a professional. His loss will hurt us a lot more than people think.

21. By Hogan on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Waching the Chargers game replay I noticed Woodhead in when they Psassed but never went his way. If McKnight does not improve throw him on the practice sqaud and give his reps to Woodhead!

22. By 37 year fan on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

The McKnight stuff is way overblown . He’ll be fine . Laverneus is working out with Sanchez . I think that’s great . Coles always loved The Jets and he’s a clutch reciever . We are going in strong . Real Strong .

23. By 37 year fan on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Laverneus can do punt returns too . Smart moves , Smart moves .

24. By Ray on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Stunning…. I didn’t mind giving him a pass on the mini camp issue, BUT WHAT HAS HE BEEN DOING FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS???? I’m with you Ira, I want to see what Washington can bring to the table too, but he and McKnight aren’t the same type of back and fill different needs. I just can’t believe that as a rookie trying to make an impression you act like this…. reminds me of Maurice Clarett, million dollar talent, ten cent mind.

25. By Ray on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I like the Coles move, he knows the offense, he’s tough as nails, he isn’t coming in here thinking he’s the #1. Sorry, but if Clowney was the guy he would have shown it by now. To say that they just aren’t giving him a chance is ridiculous. What coaching staff is going to let someone with his abilities sit on the sidelines? There is a reason he isn’t getting on the field, obviously he doesn’t do something right.

26. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

to my man jet fan tom, I don’t want to say I told you so about Clowney but if jets do sign Coles this might slam the door shut on the clown.It might not be too good for Allison either.

27. By IRA on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Clarke, Don’t count VG out this year. I really think he will contribute now that he is playing his natural position DE even though its in a 3-4. Maybe we will see a lot more 4 man front looks this year.

28. By YESHURUNN on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

It doesn’t take a genius to see Mcknight is trouble. Seems like there is a large mental component here. Get rid of him before he does any damage. Guaranteed he will lay down the ball on a critical play etc.

29. By Kaya on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I think we are jumping way ahead. For the Jets to place McKnight on non-injured and not cut him means the Jets are interested to see what he can do. Let’s not catergized him as a bust yet. And I said a long time ago VG is better suited as DE.

30. By Gregg from CA on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

From what I understand, the major component of the conditioning “test” (if not the complete test) is an arduous run. For all we know, Joe twisted an ankle or had a severe blister on his foot and they’re letting him rest up to do it again. I remember that other top-tier players in recent years have sat on the sidelines for the first week of training camp because they didn’t make the grade on the first attempt. Everything said about McKnight since that first rookie camp has been positive, including the fact that he was working overtime to compensate for the the added pro expectations that he obviously wasn’t prepared for. I think jumping to conclusions as to the what and why is unnecessary, they’ll tell us what they want us to know WHEN they want us to know.

31. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Thanks much for the dose of sanity, Gregg, and you’re right, I’ve read the same thing about the long run on the conditioning test. And I’ve said the same thing about Clown now and again, Ray, he’s not taking that many splinters because the coaches are thrilled with him. Right back at ya, GaryC, and I hope we can hold onto either Clown or AA. The guy who’s really gotta worry given how stacked we are at WR– or think we are, i.e. How good is Clown really?, is Woodhead, who’s not likely to see much slot work when Schotty’s saying on tape that J-Co, one of the most underrated WRs in the league, will be there a lot.

32. By greg d on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

…mc knight just another lazy USC kid that thinks he’s better than he really is…..better shape up fast, or rex will dump him……

33. By Arte Old School on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

This is getting too good to be true.. I have to pinch myself every time I imagine how good we can be this year.. In my humble opinion, we are shaping up to be the best NFL team EVER JetNation!! No Joke!! Dare I say undefeated?? When told that some tout predicted the Jets would finish 15-1, Rex responded, “Who did we lose too??”.. That’s what I’m talking about.. Jason Thomas Team Captain vs. the Fins (sweep this year).. AC and LT when we pummel SD at HOME this year in the playoffs.. LC vs. the Bungels.. Poole vs. Mangini.. Ayayayi.. Brunnel in the SUPER BOWL vs. the Aints!! ” Let the games begin!! See you on MNF in our NEW UNDEFEATED HOMER DOME.. Fireman Ed let’s do it..: “J-E-T-S JETS, JETS, JETS!!!”.

34. By TONY GARCIA on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

ERIC AINGE SHOULD BE OUR NO.2 HE IS FROM BIG TIME PROGRAM HAS A STRONG ARM AND NO’S HOW TO WIN. KELLEN CLEMENS HAS HAD PLENTY OF OPPORTUNTIES SEE YA. ALSO MCKNIGHT WILL BE OK. IF NOT SE YA WE DO NEED A SCAT BACK. JET FAN SINCE AL WOODAL,NAMATH,JEROME BARKUM.

35. By Ray on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Gregg from Ca, your making excuses. If it was an ankle or a blister it would have been listed differently, he failed a conditioning test, meaning he wasn’t in good enough condition to pass it, not injured. An ankle or a blister is an injury which would be categorized as a “lower body” injury so as not to give other teams something to aim at. He’s out of shape, period.

36. By soessex on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

With McKnight could it be say an ingrown toenail? One can’t do much running with this type of problem but it has nothing otherwise to do with with conditioning.

37. By Cecil from ME on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

We need to calm down.. haynesworth, Shaun Cody and plenty of other guys fail the condition test at first. This will just be a reminder for McKnight to get his butt in gear… I think he’ll be ready to rock in a week or so!

38. By GaryC on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

it is one thing for a three hundred pound lineman to fail the conditioning but when a running back of 190 pounds fails it this has to send red flares.If Sanchez is the leader he needs to talk to his USC buddy and tell him Pete Carroll isn’t running the good ship lollipop any longer.

39. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I said back in april Joe-M is not ready for the NFL this is just one most reason to believe that .. Next E-A again is getting the shaft in fear of him being a very good QB

40. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Tom 64 I’m usually on the same page but if we give K-C any more chances at the expense of guys like E-A getting involved both will be in wheelchairs with nothing gained might I add in my opinon K-C had enough chances lets move on already

41. By Chas on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I also really like Ainge and think he deserves a shot at #2! Why give Brunell a 2-year contract?

42. By Row on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I want to know why there is no accountability in the NFL? If we are on hard knocks, they should publicly fine him every day he fails the test. Mcknight should be humiliated, forced to carry the towels or gatorade. Ridiculous. Wasn’t he supposed to be a speed guy?
    There is a possibility Ainge will be released soon. KC will stay.
    To all the naysayers that said Alexander won’t sign. I give it two weeks. NFL teams wanted to see how he would recover. He had a pro day last week and ran SEVERAL 4.4 second 40’s and averaged over 40 inches on his vertical.

43. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I certainly agree about Sanchez taking the leadership role with McKnight and anything else, GaryC. He’s already showing great leadership qualities, never making excuses for himself and talking about nothing but his play and how it can be better. The contrast between him and Revis couldn’t possibly be more telling, and yet there’s more dissing of Sanchez on this site than of a guy who’s clueless enough to make up an injury in order to sit out a few plays at practice so as to make a statement, and a really stupid one at that. Go figure…

44. By Jack's Tattoos on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

2010 QB depth chart (projected)

M. Sanchez
    E. Ainge
    M. Brunell
    K. O’Connell

Don’t worry about McKnight just yet…if I remember correctly Leon Washington had a rough start to training camp too.

45. By Gregg from CA on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Chill please, Ray… It’s not an excuse, it’s a possible explanation for why he’s listed with a NON-FOOTBALL INJURY. Please read the content of the article, as Ainge is listed as an ILLNESS. I think if McKnight had cramping, fatigue, or nausea, that would also have been categorized as an illness. Since he’s still part of the active roster, the A-NFI rating just means he can’t participate in full camp workouts until he completes the test.

I’m trying to remember who it was that sat the first week of camp a few years back, and I think it was Ty Law. He rode the bike on the sideline and did the calisthenics, but no drills until cleared by the trainers. I’m sure Ira or Randy remember it more clearly. I know it wasn’t a slouch player, it was just the circumstances at the particular time that the test was conducted.

46. By Randy Lange on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Gregg, I remember in 2006 WR Justin McCareins failed his conditioning test on Thursday, July 28, did some Tour de Hempstead work on Friday, then passed his test Saturday at 6:30 a.m. and rejoined his teammates.

47. By charliejet on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

McKnight not in shape? Aren’t these suppose to PROFFESIONAL players?

48. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you on KC, Mike Jet Vet, my preference would be that he’s let go ASAP so that the competition for #2 and #3 can be between just Ainge, Brunell, and O’Connell. And Row, that sounds really promising about Alexander and I’ve liked what I’ve seen of him. But picking up Coles, about whom I agree with you 1000%, seems to indicate that the Jets don’t want to make any more offers to unproven WRs, given that they’ve still got an unproven Clowney, AA, and others to choose from. As for humiliation, I don’t think that would work too well — but if anybody deserves it, it’s Revis.

49. By Gregg from CA on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

That was it, thanks Randy! All I could clearly remember was that it had been a tall thin guy, not a lineman *chuckle*

I still remember a training camp show covering Buddy Ryan’s arrival in Arizona, and his “tough guy” approach to qualifying players. A few of the linemen couldn’t get around the college track (400 meters ??) in time and he sent them home, Pro Bowl players or not. I’d think requirements are a little bit tougher these days, with the conditioning regimens that teams have in place. Linemen tend to be athletic and mobile beasts more than unmovable blobs.