• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Mike T, Coach Rex Extensions Announced

Posted by Randy Lange on July 30, 2010 – 1:56 pm

The Jets have announced this afternoon that their two football leaders, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Rex Ryan, have signed contract extensions that will carry them both through the 2014 season.

Tannenbaum, who signed a five-year extension in June, joined the Jets in 1997 and was hired by owner Woody Johnson to take over the GM duties in 2006.

Ryan, brought aboard by Johnson and Tannenbaum as the Jets head coach in January 2009, signed a two-year extension today.

Update, 5:20 p.m.: “Our franchise is heading in the right direction and I believe that continuity is important,” Johnson said in a statement released later this afternoon. “Mike and Rex have demonstrated the passion, commitment and expertise to get us to our ultimate goal — winning a Super Bowl.”

Tags: , ,

27 Responses to “Mike T, Coach Rex Extensions Announced”

1. By Steven Smith on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Mike T and Rex form a great tandem and provide an awesome backbone to this organization and I hope they continue for years to come congratulations to you both.

2. By IRA on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

This is a great move to keep the 2 main men in charge locked up for 5 yrs but i would’ve kept this quite until after the Revis contract talks got worked out.

3. By Charlie30YEARfan on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

GREAT. Now lets get the others signed too. Revis,Mangold…we need them all. We are so close to that TROPHY …Don’t hold back now. Spend the money, give the extensions to the players…as Larry the cable guy says GIT ER DONE. Hold back on nothing… we have the defense, the coaches, the QB, the new stadium… it is not next year … it is NOW… so please , Woody, open up the checkbook and write those checks

4. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I like the extension for both Ryan and Tanny, but why isn’t first round pick Kyle Wilson under contract yet? With all the question marks around Revis they need Wilson in camp NOW! At 28, there is really no reason for him not to be.

5. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I see your point, Ira, but there’s the other way to look at it: These signings say to many of the players, especially DR, hey, this is the leadership team for what’s likely to be the rest of your career as a Jet. So don’t get any ideas about waiting them out to cut a better deal with someone else. The longer this drags on, the longer I like the idea of asking DR to play the year and get back to us later. If he has a lousy year or if we have a great year without a good one from him, he might decide there are more important things to consider than his childish competition with Asomugha.

6. By John on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Giving the extensions to Mike and Rex is great news but we have outstanding players that need extensions. Revis and Mangold are well deserving of contracts that will keep them a Jet for years to come. So let’s get it done!

7. By LynxTBay on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Fabulous! Now let’s get Revis, Mangold, and Harris along with Wilson in the fold and I’ll be one happy camper. On another topic, what’s up with Ainge? With the QBs presently on the roster, I would’ve thougt he’d be number 3 behind the 2 Marks.

8. By fred on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Stability has not been a Jets constant thru the years so its good to see the two main men locked up for a few more years- I agree with scjoe that I expected to hear the signing of Wilson on my way home from work today considering that more than a few in slots around him have signed

9. By Jason L on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

What a great job by the JETS to get 2 people locked up who are extremely committed to winning. Kudos to the owner Woody Johnson. To me, Rex brings an abundance of fresh and fun ideas for the team. Kudos to Mike as well for doing what he had to do to add the talented new players we have on our roster. Bring it to NYC guys! BRING TO NYC!!!!!!

10. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Coles back for possibly as little as four games? (according to ESPN) I can live with that. If Clowney or AA can’t push him off the roster in that time, he might be worth keeping around as a backup, at least for the rest of this year.

11. By Arte Old School on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Let’s get this party started NEW YAWK!!! There’s a new team in town!! Congrats to ALL OF US DESERVING FANS!! WE ARE JETNATION!! The waiting is over!!

12. By IRA on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

The LC signing today was great and LC understands he is an insurance policy for 1 month and if Clowney can’t [i think he will] step up this summer then LC just might have a longer stay. Only problem is as a #4 WR you want him to contribute on ST’s which LC just can’t at this stage of his career.But when the Jets make a run for the Super Bowl it would be very fitting if LC was on the team along with Ellis and who knows maybe they even re-sign Dearth.
    GO JETS!!!!

13. By Seth on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Agree with Ira. Anyway, whats the latest with Adalius Thomas. Figured he would be on board by now.

14. By 37 year fan on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Thankyou ,… most of all Woody. Finally we have an owner that cares !! Mr. T , and Rex deserve it . Wow , on signing Coles again For 3rd time. Mangold , Revis , David Harris are next .

15. By IRA on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Seth, Never say never but i have read they have no interest in A. Thomas as of now. But if somebody gets hurt things could change real quick. Personally i would stay away from him. I think he has nothing left.

16. By CNY51yrJetsfan on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

can’t wait to see “Hard Knocks”…..other coaches “Will want to be with Jets” and so will most of the players in the league!! Go Jets….All the way!!!

17. By coat on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

It’s all shaping up—we need to get mangold and Harris signed I would let Revis pout this year it is a team sport and the last three sb winners didn’t have him and they won —The man is the best out there and deserves to be paid but when I act like a jerk to my boss I don’t get a raise his problem should not be with the Jets it should be with his agent—–but he deserves a contract and I hope he gets it just shouldn’t wreck the curve

18. By Hogan on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

At this point I would agree to let Revis play this year out, but I dont think He will. I think He might sit out. That dont help nobody. Just bump up this years $, and keep the next 2 the same. Reports say he would take that, and I think that is what happens.

19. By scjoe on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I think that the move to sign Coles is just a tactic to pressure Clowney and Allison to step it up a notch, if both do, Coles will be gone before the start of the season, even with the Holmes suspension. Still concerned about the kicking game, I sure hope it plays out, but we will find out soon enough.

20. By TONY GARCIA on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

GOOD MOVE WE NEED TO KEEP EVERYONE TOGETHER.

21. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Mangold and Harris 1st to get signed then Wilson … Revis needs to play this year at least see how he preforms then maybe next year… Sticking with my guns all the way on that one ..I used the albert Haynesworth situation be4 he failed camp now Andre Johnson sitting out with 5 years left on his contract to be highest paid receiver the greed will never end till these greedy selfish horray for me forget my teammate mongers are made an example of.. What has to be done they don’t honor contracts fines and suspensions need to be doled for every day they sit out which should includes their agents by the commissioner plain and simple

22. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you, Coat, the fact that Revis is one of the best players in the NFL has nothing to do with the fact that he’s behaving like one of the biggest prima donnas in the NFL. If he keeps up like this, he’ll be a pain in the butt for his entire career no matter how well he plays, and we need to be smart about that now. As it says in the Tao Te Ching, “Confront the difficult while it is still easy.”

23. By Row on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

For some reason my comment slightly bashing Coles for his antics got deleted.
    In 07 when Penny went down Coles bantered and faked ankle injuries until the last 4 games where he sat. (went on IR) In 08 he publicly whined about the Pennington trade to the point we got rid of him. I also can personally attest to balls he bailed on that were game changers. He also was upset about his shortened role with the coming of Brad Smith, Cotch and Keller. Coles could possibly be an okay 3rd down possession receiver. I just don’t see enough balls going anyone’s way. This season will depend on Sanchez. 12 and 20 as well as a 63.0 rating just doesn’t cut it.
    Revis needs to take 10 mil a year for his last two years. That’s more then the rest of the corners aside from the Raiders guy.

24. By Gregg from CA on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

While I agree that it would be comforting to know that all of the players are signed and happy, it really has nothing to do with the coaching and executive extensions (or payroll) except in the manner that Tom said: don’t expect the next boss to be easier to manipulate, ’cause Ryan-Baum is here to stay.

Adalius would just be in the way with the players they already have, both for getting reps and for salary space – don’t need him unless a hole opens in the roster.

Signing Coles would have been iffy to me, but the fact that he knows it’s a conditional appearance makes it a good deal. As has been said, he’ll mentor and push the younger guys, and he’s worked with JCo before, so I don’t see any attitude or methodology clashes when mentoring the rookies. On a purely personal note, it would be nice to see him be able to claim a ring for his past contributions to the Jets. Too bad Chrebet and Martin can’t suit up for one week! *grin*

25. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Row, that’s the first post of yours that I’ve totally agreed with in quite awhile. Well, except maybe the part about enough balls going any one player’s way, winning big has a way of changing a player’s view on that and win big is what we should be doing for at least the next few years. I agree with your post, too, Gregg, and I have to admit I’d enjoy seeing Coles on a Super Bowl-winning Jet team. But he’s gotta earn his spot.

26. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I personally have no problem having Coles back the kid is tough professional and has good hands not to mention he won’t cost much its a good fit .. he will pay dividends in the 1st 4 weeks with S-H suspension

27. By Ray on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Ok ! Well done Woody! Rex and Mike good deal We got them on the ropes now, so lets get Revis and win this.