• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Slauson Holds Up OK in LG Starting Debut

Posted by Randy Lange on August 17, 2010 – 3:32 pm

Matt Slauson’s a semi-hangin’ judge.

“I’m kind of tough on myself,” the Jets’ left guard said. “I’d give myself a B-minus.”

In the Jets’ 31-16 loss to the Giants on Monday night, Slauson said he “had three pass plays I wish I had back,” and there was a red-zone holding call on a short LaDainian Tomlinson run.

But all things considered, let’s give Slauson an incomplete with a green star showing hope for improvement. It was, after all, his first pro start of any kind. And the morning of the game, he and the Jets’ O-line found out that Nick Mangold wouldn’t be playing.

“Nick had a headache and it’s probably not even related” to a blow to the temple he suffered in practice, head coach Rex Ryan said. “It’s one of those things where you’d much rather be safe than sorry.

So Rob Turner moved in at the pivot, and say what you want about Turner’s versatility and scrappiness, he’s not yet Mangold to Slauson, who had perhaps gotten used to the experienced No. 74 lining up to his right during Cortland practices.

But Slauson did fire out nicely on some of the Shonn Greene and LT runs, and the only sack the OL gave up of Mark Sanchez came when first-round rookie Jason Pierre-Paul got past RT Damien Woody late in the first half.

“It’s really day-to-day. There are some days where my run blocking is just great, then other days where my pass blocking is great and my run blocking isn’t,” Slauson assessed. “But I’m heading in the right direction. I’ve just got to keep on working, keep on pushing.”

Second rookie Vlad Ducasse worked at LG in the second half. We’ll see later this week if Ryan, Brian Schottenheimer and OL boss Bill Callahan will decide to tweak the rotation or the percentage of plays for either man when the Jets visit the Carolina Panthers on Saturday night.

Big Jenks Back

Kris Jenkins was feeling frisky in his postgame interviews, which generally means Big Jenks is pretty happy. Finally the big but less big than previously No. 77 settled down and talked about his physical well-being after his first game activity since tearing his knee in Game 6 vs. Buffalo last season.

“I feel fine,” Jenkins said. “It was great. It was something I definitely had to get out of my system. It’s something I understood that the first game, there’s going to be a little bit of an adjustment because I haven’t been out there in a while, and when we’re going at practice it’s not at that tempo and the fans out there, the environment’s different. Being out there was a little bit of a shock because I haven’t been out there in a while, but at the same time, once I got a couple of plays under my belt, I felt great.”

Jenks was also asked the always provocative question regarding Giants RB Brandon Jacobs chirping about how the new stadium may not say “Giants” on the outside anymore but it’s still the Giants’ stadium, which is an incorrect statement on the face of it, and Jenks let the questioner know that.

“Brandon’s my boy but it’s always fun and games with him,” Jenkins said. “This is the first year I can say he’s heavier as a running back than I am as a D-lineman right now. So back at you — jab, jab!”

Cruz Non-Control

We mentioned in our game story that WR Victor Cruz, the Giants rookie and Ducasse’s former UMass teammate, did something no other Jets preseason opponent had done in at least two decades, which was score three touchdowns in a game on the Green & White.

Three TD grabs in an NFL summer game hasn’t happened for a while. Terrell Owens was the last to do it, for San Francisco against Miami in 1998.

Cruz also racked up 145 yards on six catches, which also ranks up there on the list of most summer receiving yards by Jets opponents. Perhaps not surprisingly, since the Jets play the Giants every year, is that the top four opponent yardage totals since 1992 have been put up by Big Blue wideouts. The other three: Ike Hilliard (7-150-1) in 2003, Hakeem Nicks (6-144-2) last year and Amani Toomer (3-124-1) in 2000.

The last Jets receivers to reach the 140 plateau in preseason? Dedric Ward (6-141-1) against the Giants in ’98 and Wayne Chrebet (10-140-1) at Tampa Bay in ’97.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Slauson Holds Up OK in LG Starting Debut”

1. By Chris on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Randy, Can’t believe no one commented on Cruz’s blatant offensive pass interference on first big play. He put his hand completely over Lowery’s face right before the ball got there. That play should have come back.

2. By IRA on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Considering Mangold was out i thought Slauson did an OK job for his first start. Its clearly his job. Randy, Nice #’s on those stats. It always seems there are big plays with the WR’s in these games with the Giants.

3. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

The other thing Victor Cruz did, Randy, was commit one of the most obvious offensive pass interference plays I’ve ever seen in my life, which incredibly the refs didn’t call. As for Slauson, yeah, I know, let’s cut him, he’s not a Pro Bowler yet — no, let’s go one better, let’s be like Row and say he’ll NEVER be a Pro Bowler — and as we all know we have to be assured by next weekend that we’re winning the Super Bowl this year. Then we can lose all our good players in the offseason except Revis, thanks to the 3-year-$600 million contract that we’re about to give him. Oh, sorry, that’s the Bizarro World Jets mindset, not the real one, thank God.

4. By tampajet on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

i think he did fine. like to see slauson play with mangold.happy with the first team out put.cummings looked great.

5. By MrJetGreen on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

It’s pre-season but I’m still looking for W’s!

6. By frannybaby on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

randy, can you please ensure the footage of the halftime ceremony ring of honor is published on the website. I could not make the game and this is critical for all NYJ fans to see and experience. These guys are the Jets.
    Thanks.

7. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Hey Chris, a couple of us on this site have commented on Cruz’s ridiculous play. He actually pushed or pulled Lowery’s head down with one hand as he reached for the ball with the other, and they were all alone out there, impossible for a ref not to see it. I thought the line looked really good considering Slauson was in his first start and playing next to the back-up center instead of Mangold.

8. By Performing on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Jim Leonhard did his best Kerry Rhodes impersonation on that great run by Ahmad Bradshaw on the shuffle pass. And give Brodney Pool credit for hustling downfield and making the tackle.

Cromartie has got to catch those two INT’s.

After a great game by Victor Cruz, it boggles my mind why coaches don’t reward players with one or two reps with the first team the next preseason game. I resented Mangini for not giving Brett Ratliff some reps with the first team two years ago in preseason after he was lighting it up.

Except for the last FGA, Nick Folk kicked well. He made the previous field goals and his kickoffs all went below the 5-yard line.

As bad as both Coleman and Lowery looked, I still think Lowery’s future is at safety and he can succeed.

The myth of the Ryan’s ” Ground & Pound”.
    Rex can tell us anything he wants but for the Jets to get to the Super bowl, Mark Sanchez & Co. will have to pass the ball more to get there. Thanks to a
    WS Journal article this week, it shows how the percentage of passing plays in the NFL have increased since the 1970’s. Rex and Mike T. will try to have us believe the Jets are built to run the ball but nothing can be further from the truth. The 2010 Jets will pass the ball more and the Jets brass knows it.
    A numbers cruncher by trade, Mike T. realizes that to be successful in the NFL, you must pass your way to the top. This team is set up to be a passing team. Let’s look how Mike T. did it.
    1) Getting rid of Alan Fanaca who lacked consistent pass blocking.
    2) Bringing in LT who people say was done but being 10 months younger than Thomas Jones, he brings a better passing option.
    3) Santonio Holmes is a top quality receiver who gives Sanchez another excellent target.
    4) Shonn Greene looks like he was told to work on his pass receiving skills in the off-season and it has showed in camp so far.
    5) It looks like the Jets might do the unthinkable keeping two pure blocking fullbacks (Richardson & Conner) but with the Jets passing attack, Sanchez will need these two to share the blocking in the backfield.

Let’s look at the WSJ stats and add the Jets passing stats from 2010.

Years Yds. Per Att. Yds. Per Completion %Int %Pass Plays

1970-1979 6.68 12.79 5.3% 45.1%
    1980-1989 7.04 12.68 4.2% 52.6%
    1990-1999 6.79 11.86 3.3% 55.5%
    2000-2009 6.84 11.44 3.1% 55.7%

2009 Jets 6.60 11.33 5.3% 39.3%

To be successful on offense, the Jets will have to increase their percentage of passing plays and Sanchez will have to cut down on his interceptions.
    On offense, 2010 will be a fun year but the mantra will be the passing game complimented by the running game and not the other way around.

As hard as it was to watch the second half of the game,
    if you recorded the game, go through it again and watch
    #54 and #44 (Cummings and Ihedigbo).These two guys are hitters.

Time out! A flag. Another penalty on Ben Hartstock.

Laveranues Coles is having a tough time of it but he may have caught a break. With Torry Holt getting hurt in New England, there is a good chance coach BB who loves veteran receivers, might have given Coles a look. And you know that Mike T. wants no part of that.

There was something about Braylon Edwards I didn’t like last year besides the drops, but he looked like a stud out there vs. the Giants.

Having the Jets on Hard Knocks really makes these weeks pleasant with little down time for Jet fans. And with a short week (a Sat. game following a Mon. game) this is great!

Glad I didn’t have HD television with Eli’s cut. That was nasty.

“Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings.”

-George F. Will

9. By Row on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I dig diggs, he MUST have a place on our roster. Where is Murrel? Where is Pool? I know it is just one game, but I saw nothing. Rex, show me something, get me excited! Pass first my rear end. We can’t put the game on Sanchez, he will destroy the Jets. The locker room will implode. The defense will shine to see performances like Buffalo last year. Cut Coles, cut Brunnel, sign Allison and Ihdigbo. I’m ready for the real Jets. Please stand up! Go Jets [I was going to buy a new Revis jersey, but he might not be on our team this year] I would fine him every day he is gone. Give him an incentive based contract. 1 Int, 1 mil. 5 or 6 signing bonus.

10. By Clarke W. Griswald on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Everyone heard about Dungy?

11. By Ray on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

The most glaring evidence that Faneca wasn’t on the field…. no sacks from the left side of the O Line. I have no doubt the running game will look much better once #74 is out there on saturday.

12. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Terrific stuff, Performing, except for Will’s stupid comment. I know he was joking but any guy who waxes nostalgic endlessly over baseball but doesn’t get football should stick to the Sport of Clowns, politics. P.S. Maybe it’s not too late for the Jets to keep Allison, Clowney, AND Woodhead and trade Coles to the Pats as you suggest. Who really needs him? And how much action is he really going to see even in those first four games? Those who were afraid he’d burn us last year as a Bengal — I believe Row was one of those — sure were wrong. As for how much action Coles willl see once Holmes is back, I think we can forget about that one. P.P.S. The offensive interference on Edwards was bull, especially compared to what Cruz got away with.

13. By IRA on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Performing, Folk’s KO’s 3 went to about the goaline and 1 went into the endzone. Thast a good sign for sure.
    Sorry you got give Leonhard some slack. Don’t you rmemeber how the kid played and played real well with the club on his hand and missed no time. Wish all the Jets had a heart like Leonhard does.You are correct about Digs and Cummings. They are the 2 biggest hitters on this team. But Cummings doesn’t surprise me at all. He has played like this the past 2 summers. He had 6 tackles vs the Giants and looks like he is ready to move into that 3rd ILB spot.
    Depending on how games play out i think the Jets go from last years’s pass/run ratio of 41%/59% to a planned about 55% run and 45 % pass. No reason why they can’t reach those #’s. Early prediction Sanchez flips his 12-20 TD?INT ratio to 22 Tds and 12 INT’s.
    GO JETS!!!!

14. By coat on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

hey performance did the wall street journal make any mention of how many domed stadiums have popped up since 1970 or how in the north east weather doesn’t really allow you to be “run and shoot” or how time of posession usually wins the football game —-in order to pass you must establish the run when they come up to stop the run you pass it over there first level for a short pass and YAC—the west coast offense came into favor in the 80’s by way of san fran screen passes and short slants is what beefed up those passing numbers —– word to the wise the wall street journal isn’t the best publication to get ANY information unless you like to be led on by writers with an agenda—–to win the superbowl you need equal parts of Power, finesse, and luck——-being a jets fan for a long time I know we are not a very lucky franchise I would lean on power first then a little finesse and hopefully we can make our own luck

15. By IRA on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

coat,
    Every team needs a break or two to get on a run and make the Super Bowl. Reality with this years Jets just stay healthy, give 110% effort, and play hard and smart and they will reach their goal. I said it before camp started and i am convinced now since watching them the past 3 weeks. This is the best team talent wise since the 1968 team and might even be better than them Now they have to go out and write their own story. Only time will tell.

16. By Doug on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

if REX is not showin everything on D we on in for a treat 1st mon nite game!

17. By Troy on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Randy , any word out of Pats camp on what there going to do with L.Mankins, historically they get rid of guys that hold out,Im worried Slauson isnt ready to be the full-time starter and we’ll have another A.Clarke from 07 situation on our hands,I wouldn’t hesitate to send a 2nd round pick to NE for Mankins, keep him at LG and next season Ducasse can move over to RT for Woody.

18. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Hey coat, I get your points, especially about the Journal’s reliability, but NE and PITT don’t seem to have much trouble throwing a lot in the Northeast. How many TDs did Brady throw in the snow vs. TEN last year? And we got the best WR Ben’s ever thrown to in his life. Okay, I know Sanchez ain’t no Brady or Ben R. yet but that’s the goal. He definitely looked a year better the other night.

19. By Russell on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

It was one preseason game, that’s all. There were no major injuries and that’s my main concern. Can we please stop mentioning the Super Bowl. Let’s see if the Jets can win the opener against the Ravens then the game against the Patriots. The thing I got from the game was that Sanchez has to make better reads and stop throwing into double coverages. Slauson will be fine at LG as the season progresses playing between Ferguson and Mangold. Perhaps Ducasse should also see some time as RT as Woody is getting up there in years.

20. By GaryC on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

what is better than having one cromartie. that is having two.jets trade
    revis to cardinals for dominique rogers cromartie and draft picks.

21. By Ray on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Hey Row if you want to see Murrell then watch the Patriots games, he’s not on the Jets anymore. Maybe Justin Miller’s still available.

22. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Great common-sense, plain and simple post, Russell, with no hysteria and a lot of good, clean ideas and insight. GaryC, I like d r-cromartie even more than I do the model we got, so that might work. And speaking of common sense, three cheers for Rex today for saying that cursing doesn’t make you a bad person and not cursing doesn’t make you a good one. I love Tony Dungy and the way he coached but I don’t love what novelist Susan Isaacs fifteen years ago called what we’re becoming with all this politically correct nonsense — “a nation of weenies.” As that guy in the WINNEBAGO MAN movie (who’s become a national hero overnight, not surprisingly) says, “When I hit my finger with a hammer, I don’t say ‘Jiminy Christmas.'” I’ll bet Eli said something stronger than that on Monday night, too.

23. By gmany3k on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Why would the #1 rushing team decide to scrap that which worked so successful
    and replace it with a passing attack that is not yet ranked to high . Just because the NFL wants more passing doesn’t mean that that is the way to win super bowls.
    On Rex’s team ist defense and pound and ground ST play and 9 men in the box than its Pass the ball. Sanchez ain’t there yet.

24. By Vince-Florida on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Randy,
    Good job on the article, but the Jets have to let some QB’s go and try to get Brett Ratliff back from the Cleveland Browns. Either that or hope that he gets cut and claim him off of waivers. Ratliff-to-Clowney pass plays were one of the best things that the Jets had going for them.

There’s future growth potential there that I can’t see with our present QB’s. One wastes the whole first quarter warming up; one has a Red Zone problem; one has a problem with seeing all of the field, etc.

Then promote Brad Smith to backup QB as soon as Ratliff is back. He threw a beautiful 70 yard pass to Clowney at the end of last season. Go Jets!

25. By Miguel A. Ramirez Jr. on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Murrell?!

Murell is on the Patriots.. smh. Oh Ye of Little Knowledge.

& I agree with the statements about Slauson. He will be the starting left guard opening day.

You will eventually see Vladimir Ducasse rotating in the offensive line throughout the season, but this is Damien Woody or Brandon Moore’s last year, (they are both 32 & 31 respectively) and Ducasse has the physical attributes to be a starting right tackle or guard.

Ferguson. Slauson. Mangold. Moore. & Ducasse. I love that look on offense.

My notes on the defense:

My only concern is at defensive end.. I have no idea who can be a legitimate starter opposite Shaun Ellis; the defensive ends we have are rotational players, not 3 down or 4 down linemen.

Kyle Wilson was a stand out. His technique, hip movement, and change of direction skills are impeccable. He could start at corner opposite Revis or Cromartie for the entire season. Having three starting shutdown corners on one team is unbelievable.

Westerman and Cummings looked great also. Westerman should be starting at OLB opposite of Calvin Pace, he has all of the tools; yet the reason why he will not start, is because of his play inconsistencies i.e. disengaging, trench battles, 1-on-1, form tackling etc.

I believe our linebaker depth could be better but for right now, its solid.

I want to see Donovan Warren play. He was considered a top five 2010 Draft Pick at the Corner position. Until he had a slow 40 time.

Donovan Warren has the talent to start at FS, however I do not know his ability to tackle inside of the box/run support from the safety position.

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

So does this mean you’re actually Performing, Miguel? Great update as usual, even if I don’t like your caving in to Revis on the other story. Totally agree about Slauson and Ducasse. I’m tired of the Jets picking guys and playing them out of their college position (I guess I don’t need to remind anybody of the most recent example of that) and I don’t understand why people weren’t more excited about Slauson from day one given the Callahan connection. It’s as if they looked at the draft choice number and figured he couldn’t be any good.

27. By Ray on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I know Performing and he’s no Performing lol (a little reference to the Dan Quayle debate)….

28. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I got it, Ray, that was funny! What’s your latest thoughts on Sanchez, the RBs, Weatherford winning the punting job, Slauson’s apparently good debut (I agree with those who’d like to see him win the job so we can more slowly ease Ducasse into the right tackle position), the Revis and VG things, of course, and other stuff?